PDA

View Full Version : What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
09-22-2012, 18:44
Starting the season with a Yuengling Oktoberfest.

Not sure how it stacks up against the others...been years since I've tried this style.

AaronWF
09-23-2012, 13:26
Well I'm ringing in the season in style with a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Damn this good, soooo good! It's sweet and malty, thick and gooey with a perfect barrel pickup of creamy vanilla and a finish that takes me to a Kentucky whiskey warehouse. Boozy in a good way at 15%, and perfectly balanced. I'm gonna need to find a BIG bourbon to follow this guy up.

BFerguson
09-23-2012, 15:09
Cold bottle of Great Lakes Oktoberfest to wash the dust down. Always on my pick up list when the season rolls around for it.

B

bigtoys
09-23-2012, 18:22
another good one from New Belgium

also bought a fall variety pack from Sam Adams

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG1174_zps0e24300e.jpg

michaelturtle1
09-23-2012, 18:43
I had a fantastic trifecta of Oskar Blues today started off with Gordon, then had a Dale's and finished with a Deviant Dales.. 3 mighty tasty beers

clingman71
09-23-2012, 18:50
Hoppin' Frog BORIS the Crusher, excellent RIS.

stevegoz
09-24-2012, 09:33
Well I'm ringing in the season in style with a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Damn this good, soooo good! It's sweet and malty, thick and gooey with a perfect barrel pickup of creamy vanilla and a finish that takes me to a Kentucky whiskey warehouse. Boozy in a good way at 15%, and perfectly balanced. I'm gonna need to find a BIG bourbon to follow this guy up.

I keep kidding myself that beers like F-W Parabola, CW BBS and Founders KBS are just as good. But then I crack one of these open and I'm reminded that BCS really is in a class by itself. I love that they distributed so much more of this in Chicagoland this year compared to last. And I now have a four-year vertical bunkered!

OscarV
09-24-2012, 14:24
A couple of Founders Centennials, super fine IPA.

ebo
09-24-2012, 14:52
Sam Adams October Fest and Goose Island Nut Brown Ale.

MyOldKyDram
09-24-2012, 16:22
Dogfish Head Burton Baton.

WAINWRIGHT
09-24-2012, 19:17
Founders Breakfast Stout,I love a good stout on these crisp autumn evenings.

jcg9779
09-25-2012, 13:12
Sweetwater Festive from 2011 last night. Not too bad, but has lost a little flavor.

MyOldKyDram
09-26-2012, 18:58
Great Lakes Oktoberfest for me tonight.

clingman71
09-26-2012, 19:27
Goose Island Minx and Southern Tier Oat, both excellent.

hectic1
09-26-2012, 19:31
Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA...rich toasty malt with Cascade and Alchemy hops give this one a GREAT balance and complexity! I love the Pacific NW for their beers!14235

AaronWF
09-27-2012, 14:16
I keep kidding myself that beers like F-W Parabola, CW BBS and Founders KBS are just as good. But then I crack one of these open and I'm reminded that BCS really is in a class by itself. I love that they distributed so much more of this in Chicagoland this year compared to last. And I now have a four-year vertical bunkered!

I liked this last one more than the last few I tried. I had a 2010 on tap that had been in keg for about two years, and it was almost unbearably chalky. I've had a few others aged in bottle for a few years, and I liked them, but I have found that they get thicker and gooier over time, and I really liked the texture this fresher bottle offered. The keg-aging thickened it more than bottle aging in the same time period, but if I can control myself, I'll try to drink the remaining bottles of my 4-pack every 6 months over the next year and a half to see if I find a sweet spot.

I've long stayed away from stouts in general, but I think they're growing on me and I intend to experiment with stouts barrel-aged and otherwise this coming season.

OscarV
09-27-2012, 14:26
I had a couple of Arcadia HopMouth on the way home today accompanied by a tomato cheesy avacodo sandwich,...hmmm, I could also post this on the "sandwich" thread and increase my post count.

unclebunk
09-27-2012, 15:11
Finally scored the Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale which I'll be drinking tonight while watching football, but last night was the tail end of a Hofbrau Oktoberfest twelve pack. Excellent!

ebo
09-27-2012, 16:05
Picked up a six of Goose Island Harvest Ale. I'll crack one open for football tonight.

jcg9779
09-28-2012, 09:30
Went with a Pumking last night. My favorite pumpkin beer.

unclebunk
09-28-2012, 11:44
Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?

MrAtomic
10-01-2012, 17:21
Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?

Unclebunk,

I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

"Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.

hectic1
10-01-2012, 20:05
Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils? I've had their Pils and quite honestly I wasn't impressed with it. I've had Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Good K'night, Gubna, Old Chub, and Ten Fidy and I've really enjoyed them all...the Pils was the only one that was a miss for me.

unclebunk
10-02-2012, 08:39
Unclebunk,

I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

"Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.

I've had their Pils and quite honestly I wasn't impressed with it. I've had Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Good K'night, Gubna, Old Chub, and Ten Fidy and I've really enjoyed them all...the Pils was the only one that was a miss for me.

Thanks for the info, boys. I think I'll steer clear of the Oskar Blues Pils for the time being and see if I can find the Gubna and Ten Fidy. So far, all I'm seeing on the shelves is the Dale's Pale and the Old Chub, with the nod going to the DP. Now, on to the Half Acre beers and more Revolution Porter.

AaronWF
10-02-2012, 10:43
I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.

unclebunk
10-02-2012, 18:11
I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.

I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.

Clavius
10-02-2012, 20:38
Southern Tier 2x IPA tonight and it's pretty tasty.

AaronWF
10-03-2012, 14:50
I definitely prefer the Dirty Bastard as well over the Old Chub, though I enjoy both for different reasons. (It's worth noting that many, if not most, genuine Scotch ales are minimally hopped and tend to be on the sweet side due to their maltiness, though my experience of drinking them in Scotland has been that they are also more full-bodied than the Old Chub.) Have you ever had Sam Adams' Scotch Ale? That should be coming aound again soon.

I haven't had SA's scotch ale, how does it stack up? I definitely prefer hops to sweet malt when it comes to my beer. Dirty Bastard has this cool, hoppy chocolate note that stays with me and really makes it stand out.

unclebunk
10-03-2012, 18:16
I haven't had SA's scotch ale, how does it stack up? I definitely prefer hops to sweet malt when it comes to my beer. Dirty Bastard has this cool, hoppy chocolate note that stays with me and really makes it stand out.

It's been a year since I've had the Sam Adams Scotch Ale but I've always loved it in years past. It's quite full-bodied but not overly sweet (like my wife:lol:), as I recall. Definitely give it a whirl when it pops up again, which ought to be very soon. What do you think of Skull Splitter from Orkney? That's a beauty when paired with a nice pour of HP12.

ethangsmith
10-04-2012, 18:47
You guys are going to laugh at me-

Reading Premium
Genesee Cream Ale

unclebunk
10-04-2012, 19:00
You guys are going to laugh at me-

Reading Premium
Genesee Cream Ale

Ain't nothing wrong with GCA. I buy 30 packs in cans for $11.99 and drink them all summer long when I'm cutting the grass and gardening. Does the job on hot summer days.

WAINWRIGHT
10-07-2012, 20:14
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale,I've yet to see this in my area so decided to give it a whirl.I found this to be a very enjoyable ale with a great vanilla and molasses note that is quite enjoyable,much lighter in body than I would have assumed as well.This is a definite repeat purchase for me.

Clavius
10-08-2012, 19:16
Just cracked open a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. Not really a fan of this one though I love regular SA Boston Lager.

Gillman
10-08-2012, 19:49
I used to drink Genny Cream draft in Rochester, NY back in the 70's and 80's. On Goodman and Monroe Streets, in the clubs there. Good drink. It backs a bourbon well, and vice versa. These days I'm more into, say, pumpkin wheat beers , but it's all good in its time and place.

Gary

MyOldKyDram
10-08-2012, 19:55
Having a De Molen Hemel & Aarde. I'll be going back to get some more of these to carry me through the winter.

unclebunk
10-09-2012, 08:40
Middleton, Wisconsin's excellent Capital Brewery puts out a nice seasonal doppelbock called Autumnal Fire which is well worth investigating. Nice and malty and pleasingly warming at 7.8%.

Clavius
10-09-2012, 18:21
Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me.

fussychicken
10-10-2012, 22:31
Slowly sipping some Bruery Autumn Maple. Brewed with yams instead of pumpkins. Good, but a bit boozy at 10%. Also has that kind of funky wheat beer taste I still can't seem to like.

To the earlier posters drinking Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, please enjoy. I would kill for some of that. Supposedly Socal is going to get some this year, but I know it is going to FLY off the shelf. Hopefully I can catch it.

soonami
10-11-2012, 00:01
I'm drinking some Bruery too--Bruery White Chocolate.

unclebunk
10-11-2012, 03:17
Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale. I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me.

That's pretty much how I was with Tumbler. I guess I was expecting it to be a bit bolder but it's certainly decent enough.

unclebunk
10-11-2012, 03:24
I used to drink Genny Cream draft in Rochester, NY back in the 70's and 80's. On Goodman and Monroe Streets, in the clubs there. Good drink. It backs a bourbon well, and vice versa. These days I'm more into, say, pumpkin wheat beers , but it's all good in its time and place.

Gary

We also had Genny 12 Horse Ale suddenly show up here in Chicago this summer as part of a mixed twelve pack. Oddly, the flagship Genny Lager (aka "Red Eye" due to the distinctive label) has yet to be seen.

tanstaafl2
10-11-2012, 13:56
Autumn for me means it is Pumpkin Ale season in my house! I have scraped together about 8-10 different offerings and so far Southern Tier's Pumking is the leader of the pack. Much more pumpkin taste rather than just pumpkin spice in the typical garden variety pumpkin ale.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale falls more in the spice dominated category but is a little different in the spices that are emphasized.

Still to come is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and Smashed Pumpkin Ale as well as Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin among others!

Tony
10-11-2012, 14:41
Got the This One Goes to 11 Ale from Bell's today, looking forward to trying tonight.

http://bellsbeer.com/brands/#Specialty-1

Best regards, Tony

stevegoz
10-11-2012, 15:47
Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session. :grin:

unclebunk
10-11-2012, 18:16
Had my first can of Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues last night.

I'm in love. So roasty yet silky at the same time. I'm suddenly questioning my loyalty to Founder's Breakfast Stout -- having them back to back, the coffee in the FBS seemed really overdone. Note to self: don't mix styles so much during a session. :grin:

Founder's Breakfast Stout has managed to slip under my radar so far but I'll seek it out before too long now that the cool weather is here to stay. I still haven't tried the Ten Fidy either and must admit that the price puts me off. Nevertheless, I'll be picking some up this weekend due to all the rave reviews.

BradleyC
10-12-2012, 00:02
A whole bunch of SA Utopias
Bruery Black Tuesday
Central Waters Barrel aged Barelywine
GI BCBS
Bull and Bush Legend of the Liquid Brain
Foothills Sexual Chocolate
3 Floyds Zombie Dust
Olde Hickory Event Horizon
Founders KBS
Bruery Smoking Wood
Alpine Bad Boy
Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
Russian River Toronado Anniversary Brew
Brooklyn Black Ops
Avery Odios Equum & Oud Floris
Fifty Fifty Eclipse

These were my standouts from GABF 2012. A big night of big beers. I have to say it's kind of odd to see SA pouring Utopias out of a pitcher filled from a keg. I'll take it though. Tonight was a barleywine and stout night for me. With the exception of the zombie dust and the Avery Sours I stayed away from the sours and IPAs this year and am thankful I did.

Clavius
10-13-2012, 22:36
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and also their Chicory Stout. Great beers.

unclebunk
10-14-2012, 13:07
Got a case of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout on sale yesterday (only $4 per four pack instead of the usual $10). I love this beer!

Clavius
10-15-2012, 18:51
Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale that I got as part of a variety 12 pack. Not bad for a pumpkin ale, but not nearly as good as the Dogfish Head Punkin.

HighInTheMtns
10-16-2012, 20:22
I'm drinking an Epic Brewing Fest Devious, which could mean any of a number of things... but in this case, it's a wet hop Harvest Ale, made with locally grown hops.

http://www.epicbrewing.com/home/item/59-fest-devious-release-

Epic is a fairly new brewery that makes exclusively beer that you can't sell in the grocery store in Utah (you know, greater than 4% alcohol.) Here we can only get them in 22 oz bottles, elsewhere I know they sell kegs as well. They make a lot of really good beers, and they're always changing and experimenting.

MyOldKyDram
10-17-2012, 16:00
Cooking dinner, drinking a Trader Joe's 2012 Vintage Ale.

ThomasH
10-18-2012, 11:52
Leinenkugel berry weiss. It was a toss up between this and Leinie lemon berry shandy. This won, lemon berry shandy is 2nd and Yuengling black and tan is 3rd!

Thomas

MyOldKyDram
10-18-2012, 15:56
A flight of beer and donuts at Lexington Beerworks. 3 local beers (Deliberation Amber by West Sixth, Hopfield and McCoy by Alltech, Wham! Stein by Against the Grain) and Oat by Southern Tier. Paired with smoked sausage and cheddar kolache, spicy jalapeŮo kolache, spice cake donut, and yeast donut with dark chocolate icing.

tanstaafl2
10-18-2012, 16:33
Trying to decide if I should open the bottle of Dogfish Head Bitches Brew that I came across yesterday or put it up on the shelf and let it "cook" a while. It was originally released in 2010 to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the debut of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew album but now comes out on a periodic basis apparently.

In the meantime made the mistake of trying the Shock Top pumpkin wheat ale. Not much pumpkin flavor or really anything else. Pretty bland.

MyOldKyDram
10-19-2012, 19:07
Watching The League and enjoying a Founders Harvest Ale.

unclebunk
10-21-2012, 12:28
Getting tired of the Oktoberfest beers I've been drinking these last few weeks but I've still got another twelve or so left from the cases I bought. I think I'm ready for some porter and stout.

ThomasH
10-21-2012, 13:26
Geting tired of variety packs showing up once and then disappearing for good. Also tired of new seasonal beers only showing up in variety packs, as Blue Moon caramel apple spice recently did. Sometimes i don't want the variety, only the ones I like!

Thomas

stevegoz
10-21-2012, 16:51
Enjoyed a pair of great new fruit beers from New Glarus last night, Enigma (a cherry-based sour) and Serendipity, which features cherry, apple and cranberry and will replace the Belgian Red (cherry) in the rotation for the next year because this year's Wisconsin cherry crop had such a poor yield. Both are delicious and I look forward to cracking more in coming weeks.

Also had a pair from Half Acre growlers, Lager Town (their martzen -- last year's was better, but this was still good) and Alpenglo, a nice hoppy brown ale.

And I loved the Three Floyds Rye'd Da Lightning, yet another winning hop-forward ale. Firestone-Walker Double DBA once again showed how well these guys do with barrel-aged beers.

There's nothing like poker night with fellow beer and bourbon enthusiasts!

smokinjoe
10-22-2012, 16:17
Getting tired of the Oktoberfest beers I've been drinking these last few weeks but I've still got another twelve or so left from the cases I bought. I think I'm ready for some porter and stout.

I'm almost there with you, Hank. But I'm not sure whether it's that I'm getting tired of the Oktoberfest beers, or if it's that I'm just too impatient to get to those porters and stouts? :D

Anyways, spent the weekend up in the GA mountains at the Oktoberfest festival and went through a ton of different beers. The one that stuck out for me was the Einbecher Ur-Bock Dunkel. Really enjoyed it. While returning back from a visit to a local client, I stopped and grabbed the 2012 New Holland Dragon's Milk and the Oskar Blues Ten Fidy...just cuz I like saying Ten Fiddy......Ten Fidy....Ten FIDy....Yo, Ten FIDY!!!!...

hectic1
10-22-2012, 17:08
That Ten Fidy is one of my favorite Imperial Stouts out there...so damn good!

Clavius
10-22-2012, 19:18
West Sixth IPA!!

jcg9779
10-24-2012, 19:53
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid tonight with pizza while watching Game 1.

smokinjoe
10-24-2012, 20:09
My hotel in Austin, TX had a couple of selections from the local Independence Brewery. I tried both of them. A pale ale and a brown ale. Cute names that I can't remember, and probably more tellingly, I can't remember the beer much, either.

HighInTheMtns
10-24-2012, 20:41
Having a Squatters Wee Peat scotch ale at the Squatters brew pub in downtown Salt Lake.

unclebunk
10-25-2012, 15:31
Being a big fan of Ska Brewery's Modus Operandi, today I picked up one of their seasonals, Euphoria Pale Ale, which I'll be sampling during game 2 of the World Series. Can't wait!

smokinjoe
10-25-2012, 17:55
Settling down in the garage, getting ready to listen to the World Series on the radio with a 2012 New Holland Dragon's Milk. Big, oak aged beers can be just too much of a good thing, many times. But, this DM is beautifully balanced. Sweet, vanilla, and big, but it never goes over to an over-sweet, syrupy mess. Nice effort from these folks. :toast:

jcg9779
10-26-2012, 14:22
A tall Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold while waiting for my flight out of Akron.

Tony
10-27-2012, 14:46
A standby of Bells Two Hearted

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

smokinjoe
10-29-2012, 13:13
That Ten Fidy is one of my favorite Imperial Stouts out there...so damn good!

Tried it out last night, Bob. Whew! That's a hunka beer, for sure. It seemed to ooze, rather than pour, out of the can. :D Momma's making chili later this week, and I think this might be a really nice accompaniment.

Phischy
11-01-2012, 15:32
Ballast Point (San Diego) has just released the latest brew of Victory at Sea, their coffee porter. My lord, this beer is just too epic!

Clavius
11-01-2012, 20:46
Well it certainly is getting close to the holidays now since I picked up a sixer of one of my favorites, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale! One of my favorite seasonal beers!

smokinjoe
11-04-2012, 11:21
I've been pushed inside with the rainy cool front that wandered through an hour, or so, ago. Firgure I'll purge my burgeoning T-Shirt drawer while enjoying a Boulevard Oktoberfest...:rolleyes: Then again, I may just take a nap after I finish the brew...:D

callmeox
11-04-2012, 13:11
Sandy delayed Trick or Treat in a number of cities here in NE Ohio and tonight's the night for my city. I've got a couple Newcastle Brown Ales queued up for handing out candy and bee essing with the neighbors.

WAINWRIGHT
11-04-2012, 13:15
FCB Chocolate Stout and DHBC Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock, I love the seasonal choices this time of year.

tanstaafl2
11-04-2012, 14:20
Taking a run at the Oskar Blues Ten Fidy based on the positive comments here. Definitely a significant change of pace from pumpkin ale and Crabbie's!

ethangsmith
11-04-2012, 16:52
Discovered Yuengling Porter while taking the tour at the Pottsville brewery. I have found my beer.

unclebunk
11-05-2012, 05:41
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale while watching football yesterday. Both were superb!

stevegoz
11-05-2012, 09:29
Enjoyed a Founder's Harvest Ale last night. Fresh hops are great hops!

ACDetroit
11-07-2012, 20:24
Dogfish Head 120 minute right now. I grabbed several Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts tonight and may jump into that next. Also have a KBS from last year chillin...just in case I feel the need to stout it up tonight. 4:00 am is going to come really early tomorrow.

jcg9779
11-08-2012, 11:10
OB Ten Fidy last night. Quite delicious.

stevegoz
11-08-2012, 21:32
Had my first taste of Founders Backwoods Bastard -- a Scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels -- tonight. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at its thinness in comparison to barrel-aged stouts and barley wines. But the lack of body did leave me feel like something was wanting, even as the bourbon brought the expected doses of very nice chocolate, oak, vanilla and coconut notes. Memorywise, it reminded me most of Central Waters' Barrel-Aged Stout -- gonna have to do a side by side of the two beers. I look forward to seeing what some age does to it as well.

jmafisher
11-09-2012, 15:11
I was in Cincinnati this week and tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, it was outstanding. Looked a lot like a fine bourbon and you could definitely taste the Bourbon in the drink. Combination of my two favorites, craft beer and Bourbon.

Ejmharris
11-10-2012, 09:53
Picked up a growler of Ten Fidy last night. Holy crap, where has this beer been all my life.

ebo
11-10-2012, 10:14
Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It's back! :grin:

Tony
11-10-2012, 11:23
Finishing the last of my Oberon, so I can start on some cold weather beers

HighInTheMtns
11-12-2012, 19:29
I'm drinking a Wasatch Brewery Alta 75th Anniversary Commemorative Ale. It's a pale ale.

Alta is a ski resort near Salt Lake; the thing that strikes me the most about this beer is that the hop character is very piney, and that makes it very fitting of its name - Alta is full of pine trees.

Very enjoyable beer. My only complaint is that they made it "Utah strength" - 4.0% ABV. Lets them sell it in a lot more places around here, so I'm sure the day will come when I'm happy they made that decision.

smokinjoe
11-13-2012, 15:12
My last bottle of Great Lakes Oktoberfest... :cry:

MyOldKyDram
11-13-2012, 16:04
KY Bourbon Barrel Ale, whilst straining my bacon infused bourbon. Then on to an old fashioned!

stevegoz
11-13-2012, 16:27
My last bottle of Great Lakes Oktoberfest... :cry:

That is a sad occasion. I think I have two left.

Clavius
11-13-2012, 21:59
Bought two 12-packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration today. One of them cold to drink now and one warm to hang onto for awhile. I really think this is the best seasonal Sierra Nevada release and possibly their best beer overall. I may even buy one or two more 12-packs of it before it's gone!

HighInTheMtns
11-13-2012, 22:50
Bought two 12-packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration today. One of them cold to drink now and one warm to hang onto for awhile. I really think this is the best seasonal Sierra Nevada release and possibly their best beer overall. I may even buy one or two more 12-packs of it before it's gone!
Very nice. That's a great beer.

unclebunk
11-14-2012, 07:08

I'm a fan too and look forward to its arrival every year. Now that you've mentioned it, I think I'll go out and snag some today. Cheers!

MyOldKyDram
11-14-2012, 16:43
Picked up some myself today and getting ready to sit down and enjoy one right now.

Clavius
11-14-2012, 18:13
Bought another 12-pack of Celebration Ale today. So now I have a whole case "resting." More importantly though, I found and bought a bottle of the 2012 Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Ale which I really look forward to trying. Also bought one each of the 2012 Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale and the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale.

I've always been a big fan of Sierra Nevada. They're in my top three favorite breweries along with Bell's and Rogue.

Ejmharris
11-14-2012, 21:33
Great Divde Claymore Scotch Ale. Between the hibernation ale (my current favorite beer), this Scotch ale and the yeti's I may never drink another beer besides something from great divide.

atfree
11-15-2012, 08:31
Enjoying some Southern Tier Creme Brulee and Great Lakes Christmas Ale this week.

I also have an Ayinger Oktoberfest I need to knock out.

stevegoz
11-17-2012, 13:24
Had a bomber of Abduction, an imperial stout from Pipeworks, last night. On the hoppy side as stouts go, and on the delicious side as well. They're serious contenders for "best brewery in Chicago"; it's going to be fun watching them continue to grow.

AaronWF
11-17-2012, 16:28
Had a bomber of Abduction, an imperial stout from Pipeworks, last night. On the hoppy side as stouts go, and on the delicious side as well. They're serious contenders for "best brewery in Chicago"; it's going to be fun watching them continue to grow.

Hmmm, well that's good news. I had a Belgian IPA of theirs I wasn't all that impressed with, kind of wrote them off. Good to hear a positive review, I'll have to experiment more with them!

BTW, really last minute here, but are you going to FoWaBAB? I'm on my way right now! Train to bus boo-ya! The things I do for beer...

smokinjoe
11-17-2012, 16:56
A 2012/2013 Samuel Smith's "Winter Welcome Ale", after spending the afternoon puffing stogies at the local cigar mega-store's Customer Appreciation Event. The nice malty character to this beer is cooling the pipes nicely. Actually, I wish I would have had this during the event. Not heavy, but silky over the palate. And, with a pleasanty nutty chewiness to it. Now, to sit down to see how the college games went today. :toast:

HP12
11-17-2012, 17:04
Finally bumped into some Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest and enjoying a couple of 'em today. One of the better of the style IMHO. Good news, bad news...5.8% in 11.5 oz bottles.

tanstaafl2
11-17-2012, 17:41
Popped open the first Sierra Nevada Celebration of the season today while watching Ga Tech/Duke. Also bought a bomber of the Estate Ale to try as it intrigued me to try the wet hopping style.

clingman71
11-17-2012, 20:18
Founders 15th Anniversary Bolt Cutter Barleywine and CBS. It has been a killer beer weekend in Grand Rapids.

stevegoz
11-18-2012, 05:53
BTW, really last minute here, but are you going to FoWaBAB? I'm on my way right now! Train to bus boo-ya! The things I do for beer...

Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).

Tony
11-18-2012, 12:01
DFH Punk this afternoon.

BAO
11-18-2012, 19:01
In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Pipeworks Abduction
Pipeworks Hyper Dog
Two Brothers Revelry
Two Brothers Heavy Handed
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Great Lakes Nosferatu
Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus
Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.

stevegoz
11-18-2012, 19:26
In the past week:

Avery Rumpkin
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Pipeworks Abduction
Pipeworks Hyper Dog
Two Brothers Revelry
Two Brothers Heavy Handed
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Great Lakes Nosferatu
Three Floyd's Alpha Klaus
Three Floyd's BrooDoo

And, I didn't get to attend FOBAB, so I celebrated at home with a little Goose Island Bourbon County Stout '12.

What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.

AaronWF
11-18-2012, 20:03
Great to catch up with you last night! Any standouts from your sampling?

I was really glad to finally get to try F-W's Velvet Merkin stout, which they don't seem to ship to the Chicago market -- second "cakiest" stout I've ever had, just shy of Bourbon County Bramble Rye. Not sure I had a winner in the battle of the local barrel-aged milk stouts; thought Pipeworks BA Jones Dog and Revolution Very Mad Cow were pretty good. The BA Snarling Badger from Grand Teton was interesting -- first time I've had a barrel-treated Berliner Weisse. And that Wild Turkey aged Ten Fidy was pretty nice as well. Only disappointment for me was FFF's BA Behemoth -- I like it just fine in its standard format, but didn't find the barreling to make an improvement to it. Really wish Founder's had been part of the event, and that F-W would've premiered XVI (they must have it ready to go by now, no?).

I had a great time at the festival - really well done. Any gathering as big and populated as that was where you can still run into people you know is doing it right!

I moved today, so I don't have my program to use as a cheat sheet. One thing that sticks out to me was the Cigar City Humidor IPA. It was aged in (on? with?) Spanish sandalwood, and the wood complemented the IPA just perfectly with resin and grapefruit, really stretched an obviously fantastic IPA in many directions, all positive.

I really liked the aged Ten Fidy, as well as [oh shit I can't remember, get back to you when I find my program]. Also, the flight of BCS aged in different barrels was fascinating. It was a Koval apple brandy barrel, a Cabernet barrel, a BT and a HH. The Koval barrel was quite respectable bringing more fruit to the table (as you might expect). The Cabernet was a bit sour and really did not work for me. The bourbon barrels were the best with BT a little sweeter and HH a bit more woody, if I recall correctly.

I could comment on a few more, but I need my cheat sheet. Really great to bump into you!

smokinjoe
11-19-2012, 15:20
While clearing space in the beer fridge for Thanksgiving goodies, I uncovered a Baltika #9 Extra Lager from...Lord knows when... I thought I drank this in '09 :rolleyes: Thick, a little sweet, and enjoyable. The time in the fridge has made it no worse for wear...

ebo
11-19-2012, 16:19
Picked up a six of Samuel Adams White Christmas. Not sure about it, yet. It's kind of on the light side. Definitely spicy.

stevegoz
11-20-2012, 07:24
Inspired by FOBAB, hit the beer cellar up last night. Enjoyed a 2011 Bourbon Barrel Stout from Central Waters, a 2012 Bourbon Barrel Barleywine from Central Waters and a 2012 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

What Bears loss? :lol:

smokinjoe
11-20-2012, 20:38
A really fantastic Bell's Best Brown Ale, while watching "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" with the family. The part where Snoopy "fights" the fold-up chair is priceless. :toast:

CaptainQ
11-20-2012, 21:51
Tonight it was Oskar Blues TenFidy imperial stout followed by He'brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Both are excellent examples of their respective styles.

Ejmharris
11-21-2012, 13:15
Tonight it was Oskar Blues TenFidy imperial stout followed by He'brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Both are excellent examples of their respective styles.

I love that Ten Fidy!

callmeox
11-21-2012, 13:24
I love that Ten Fidy!

I'm not into the high alcohol brews so I've passed on the Fen Fidy as I can't commit to a 6er of something that I will probably dislike.

I wish I had a "mix a six" store around me to make sampling easier.

hectic1
11-21-2012, 13:30
I'm not into the high alcohol brews so I've passed on the Fen Fidy as I can't commit to a 6er of something that I will probably dislike.

I wish I had a "mix a six" store around me to make sampling easier. Ten Fidy's come in 4 packs...$14 isn't a ton to be out if you don't like it!

callmeox
11-21-2012, 14:01
Ten Fidy's come in 4 packs...$14 isn't a ton to be out if you don't like it!

I shall go as far as lifting and counting the cans next time I see them at the grocery store just to check your math. :). That will be one step closer to an actual purchase.

I'm hoping that my beer crazy brother in law brings some to dinner tomorrow since it is only recently available here in the Buckeye State.

T Comp
11-21-2012, 14:53
Went the Buckyee state route myself when the local beer monger sold me on a 6 pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Looking forward to trying a bottle tonight.

Clavius
11-21-2012, 16:11
Some Bell's Two Hearted Ale tonight after a looooong day working retail. :(

MyOldKyDram
11-21-2012, 16:29
Grabbed some New Holland Hopivore, their wet-hopped entry, today. Anyone try this before?

stevegoz
11-22-2012, 08:09
I make it a rule not to drink any Christmas beers 'til the Thanksgiving dinner is over. Think I'll start with the last two years' Anchor Special Ale tonight....

WAINWRIGHT
11-23-2012, 22:01
Schlafly Coffee Stout a great way to end a cold winter evening.

unclebunk
11-24-2012, 13:58
Fantastic array of beers from Wisconsin micros on Thanksgiving Day (New Glarus, Lakefront, Sprecher's, Tyranena, O'so and more). After all the heavy-hitting hoppy beers I consumed, I decided to go to the other extreme and picked up some Brekle's Brown Ale from Anchor Steam and a sixer of Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale. Both were excellent but I greatly preferred the Ellie's Brown which was richer and had much more body. Yet another great beer from Avery!

smokinjoe
11-24-2012, 13:59
Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...:D

Tony
11-24-2012, 15:21
Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony

T Comp
11-24-2012, 17:52
Over this long Thanksgiving weekend, beer has been central in all facets of the Holiday; from set-up to clean-up. And, we've enjoyed them all. Even the simple Miller High Life and Budweiser. Sometimes, simple is good. But, have also dug on Sam Adams Winter Lager, Bell's Best Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, SweetWater Low RYEder Rye IPA, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale, and 21st Amendment Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale. Interesting bird that Fireside Chat. You really have to have to be in "the right frame of palate" or pair with the right food accompaniment, for it to shine. If those are on, it's fabulous. When not, it's just too much on the spices. Finally I must confess, the Best-in-Show for the weekend was the 2011 SweetWater Festive Ale. Good show for the local boys. A lot going on in this beer, but it tightly keeps it's balance throughout.

I'm reminded this Thanksgiving of the saying: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Bourbon is also proof...:D

Quite a few this Thanksgiving weekend. Bell's Two Hearted(always a favorite), got to try Bell's Midwestern Pale Ale(not that great), a Saugatuck IPA, DFH 120 and a Sam Adams.

Best regards, Tony

Well I guess I just drink more whiskey than you all, as my beer tally is one, but it was a good one, the aforementioned Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Very subtle with light spicing and doesn't show its 7.5% abv. I like it a lot and since the weekend is not over I may make it two before it is :grin:.

BAO
11-26-2012, 19:16
What did you think of Backwoods Bastard? I had it for the first time this year, and found it to be pretty respectable. Some insist it's "thin" this year.

And how great is it that there's so much BCBS to be had this year in the Chicago area? I frequent a store in the western 'burbs that has six cases just sitting on the floor. And city Dominicks and Walgreens locations have even been stocking it.

Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.

stevegoz
11-26-2012, 19:33
Really enjoyed it, didn't think it was thin, but I didn't have it last year to compare. Absolutely love that BCBS is going year-round and that it has been plentiful. One of the best beers in the world being widely available in my hometown? Awesome. I've got a couple cases in my cellar, really excited to try them over the next few years.

Fun trying to hunt down the BCS variants. I got a Coffee today and should have a Cherry Rye in hand by tomorrow night.

I've heard different things about BCS going year 'round. I'm meeting Brett Porter Friday night and plan to ask him about it.

unclebunk
11-26-2012, 21:47

Fun trying to hunt down the BCS variants. I got a Coffee today and should have a Cherry Rye in hand by tomorrow night.

I've heard different things about BCS going year 'round. I'm meeting Brett Porter Friday night and plan to ask him about it.

Okay. I give up. What the hell is "BCBS" and why should I seek it out?

stevegoz
11-26-2012, 22:43
Okay. I give up. What the hell is "BCBS" and why should I seek it out?

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Main Street Liquors in Countryside may still have four packs available.

You should seek it out because it is TEH AWESOME!

squire
11-26-2012, 23:51
Working on the Sam Adams Winter Selection.

ratcheer
11-27-2012, 06:14
Working on the Sam Adams Winter Selection.

I opened a case of that last week, for Thanksgiving in the mountains. They are all good, although I don't know why they include the regular Boston Lager.

Tim

unclebunk
11-27-2012, 07:16
Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Main Street Liquors in Countryside may still have four packs available.

You should seek it out because it is TEH AWESOME!

I'm on it! Will be passing by Main Street Liquors today on my way to Kenwood Liquors to replenish a few things that got downed over the holiday weekend. Thanks!

squire
11-27-2012, 15:56
Heard a rumor Samuel Smith's Winter Warmer Ale is on special so if we go to the store today that will be the choice.

ebo
11-28-2012, 16:21
Do you mean Winter Lager?

squire
11-30-2012, 07:57
Winter Welcome actually, I must have been thinking of the type.

unclebunk
11-30-2012, 08:20
Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.

stevegoz
11-30-2012, 09:10
Still on a brown ale kick and decided to check out Tyranena's (from Wisconsin) Rocky's Revenge, described as an American brown ale with "a portion aged in bourbon barrels." I'm guessing the portion is very small, as there was no discernible bourbon influence that I could detect. Having said that, the beer was quite tasty and well worth the purchase, if only because it had a nice malty flavor and nutty aroma. I don't think Samuel Smith has anything to worry about but this was better than most American attempts at brown ale. As with all ales, the beer improved immensely when it began to warm up a bit, with improved body and head retention after 20 minutes out of the fridge.

Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.

unclebunk
11-30-2012, 10:05
Tasty brew indeed despite the moderate barrel influence. Did you in fact get some Bourbon County Stout this week? They released bombers of the coffee and cherry variants last week, which set off the usual whale hunt.

Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

stevegoz
11-30-2012, 10:15
Yes. I got a four pack from Main Street but was saving it for tonight. BTW, if you venture as far as Brixie's for beer, have you ever been to Leo's Liquors here in Brookfield? That guy has gone insane in the last year with his microbrewery section and he's now blown past Main Street in terms of selection. Definitely check it out if you haven't already.

I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.

unclebunk
11-30-2012, 11:20
I've heard good things about Leo's from a friend in Riverside but haven't been. I'll take your recommendation and run with it sometime soon.

Speaking of Brixie's, they're doing up Bourbon County Stout with a post-keg vanilla bean infusion tonight. Wish I could make it.

Was thinking of wandering over to Brixie's if I can sneak away this evening. (My daughter is having a multi-kid sleepover, so I'm doubting my wife will be too happy about my absence. But it is Bourbon County Stout, after all.):grin: By all means, check Leo's out. Take Ogden past Brixie's and go north (left) on Maple where Dunkin' Donuts is. Stay on Maple over the tracks until you get to the traffic circle (or "roundabout" as my wife continually reminds me) and you'll be looking straight at the place. It looks small but the store goes back quite a way and the whole rear of the store is beer, beer and more beer. Expect to pay an extra buck here and there but the selection is worth it. Happy hunting!

smokinjoe
11-30-2012, 14:23
Heck, I'm calling it a day. Had a pretty dang good week. This Bell's Christmas Ale is a pleasant beer to settle down with.

stevegoz
11-30-2012, 23:17
What didn't I drink tonight? Joined five of my friends in a one-of-a-kind tour of the Goose Island Chicago brewery and barrel houses tonight, conducted by Brewmaster Brett Porter and Barrel-Aging Program Manager John Laffler (who is leaving the company to start his own brewery (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-27/features/chi-new-brewery-john-laffler-20121127_1_craft-beer-siebel-institute-john-laffler)). The two were very candid and open to our many questions, and we got to try eight or so experimental beers straight from the barrel, including barrel-aged stouts, a barleywine, a few saisons and some interesting variants of existing beers, like a grapefruit version of Sofie. And to top it off, they rotated in a five-gallon keg of Bourbon County Cherry Rye, which is very fruit-forward now but should relax a bit with some age.

One rumor dispelled by Porter: Bourbon County Stout will not be a year-round product, so even though there's still some on shelves now in a few places we shouldn't expect any more shipments of the 2012 batch. On a happier note, Porter said they may in fact do Bourbon County Vanilla again. And, oh yes, it won't be King Henry but there will be a barrel-aged barleywine coming out again.

Bourbon County Stout is aged in Heaven Hill barrels; the Bourbon County Rye is aged in Templeton barrels. They're also experimenting with some Koval barrels, which are only 35 gallons, more because of the unique single-grain whiskeys Koval does than because of the smaller size/accelerated aging.

ebo
12-01-2012, 18:22
Widmer Brothers "Brrr" seasonal ale.

HP12
12-01-2012, 18:32
Pulled out a 2011 Stone RIS. A textbook RIS. Delicious roasted and toasted malt, coffee hints, prune...find it, cellar it, enjoy it.

Clavius
12-02-2012, 19:48
2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.

HighInTheMtns
12-04-2012, 13:44
2012 Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale. I'm liking it much more than I liked the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest.
I picked up a bottle of this today. Looking forward to trying it, I liked both hemispheres' harvest ales last year.

CaptainQ
12-04-2012, 20:01
Having this right now. Not much to be said except for delicious.

unclebunk
12-05-2012, 07:40
Had a few bottles of Leffe Brune last night. Very solid Belgian brown ale but tasted better to my recollection when I had it in Belgium and France. Of course, the scenery and atmosphere on those trips made everything taste better!:grin:

ethangsmith
12-05-2012, 15:09
Yuengling Porter. Yes, it's winter, and yes, I live in Pennsylvania.

ebo
12-05-2012, 15:26
Young's Old Nick Barley Wine Ale. I love this stuff, but it's hard to find around here these days.

unclebunk
12-05-2012, 15:26
Yuengling Porter. Yes, it's winter, and yes, I live in Pennsylvania.

I used to really enjoy that beer and haven't had one in years. We're now able to get the regular Yuengling Lager here in Illinois but I haven't come across the porter yet. Hopefully that'll show up around here too. Enjoy!

MyOldKyDram
12-05-2012, 16:44
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout. Just tastes like a passable coffee stout. Very little barrel/bourbon influence. Meh, it's Altech.

Clavius
12-05-2012, 17:04
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout. Just tastes like a passable coffee stout. Very little barrel/bourbon influence. Meh, it's Altech.

Isn't the bourbon barrel stout made by BBC in Louisville?

MyOldKyDram
12-05-2012, 17:09
They do make one, but Altech released theirs a week or so ago.

Clavius
12-05-2012, 17:10
They do make one, but Altech released theirs a week or so ago.

Ah, ok. News to me!

smokinjoe
12-05-2012, 20:34
Maybe, the best beer I've had all year. Founders Backwoods Bastard. As you would expect, I'm always excited to try brews that are aged in "bourbon barrels". Hey...beer....bourbon...gotta be good, right???? Unfortunately for me, they too oftenly disappoint, as they tend to be too syrupy and cloyingly sweet for my tastes. Not this one. The bourbon, and the sweetness it brings, glows through, but doesn't dominate. Nice roasted malt backbone. The bourbon barrel aging is subtle, and is in perfect balance. Really wonderful beer.

I ain't a beer geek by any stretch of the imagination, but according to my tastes, the states that comprise the Upper Mid-West of the USA are making some of the best beer around.

Clavius
12-05-2012, 20:58
I ain't a beer geek by any stretch of the imagination, but according to my tastes, the states that comprise the Upper Mid-West of the USA are making some of the best beer around.

Agreed. Founder's and Bell's are making some exceptional beers right now.

smokinjoe
12-05-2012, 21:09
Agreed. Founder's and Bell's are making some exceptional beers right now.

Let's not forget Ahiya. You can add Great Lakes to that list, too.
:toast:

BradleyC
12-05-2012, 21:38
I'm having Sierra Nevada's new "Narwhal" tonight. I think it is a very good 10% coffee stout for just $2/bottle. Not a bad beer at all.

unclebunk
12-06-2012, 06:47
Let's not forget Ahiya. You can add Great Lakes to that list, too.
:toast:

So true, Joe. I love the entire Great Lakes line, especially the Dortmunder Gold and the Commodore Perry IPA. As we head into winter and my beer preferences turn darker and heavier, Scotch ale, porter and stout take up most of the space in the beer fridge. I think I'll grab a sixer of GL's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter to drink tonight during the Broncos-Raiders game.

tanstaafl2
12-06-2012, 07:50

Not very encouraging! Received a 4 pack of that as a gift this past weekend and thought it might be interesting. Not that I won't drink it anyway...

MyOldKyDram
12-06-2012, 15:55
Oh it's perfectly drinkable. Just not terribly interesting. You may enjoy it who knows?

tanstaafl2
12-06-2012, 16:09
Oh it's perfectly drinkable. Just not terribly interesting. You may enjoy it who knows?

We shall see! Also got a bottle of the Bruery Smoked Wood rye barrel aged and an Autumn Maple beer. They sound interesting if nothing else.

Bourserker
12-07-2012, 20:38
Taking a break from the whiskey tonight. This dry air is really doing a number on my body (drying my skin out) and my mouth (making it feel tender) with these darn heat pumps running constantly in my house. The whiskey stings a bit when the mouth is tender so it's beer this evening.

I normally drink lagers, ales, bocks, stouts and beer that's more full bodied. However, tonight it's some lighter fare that's dear to my heart. Some may call this pee water, but I don't care. So without further hesitation..."imported" all the way from the great state of WI...it's Heileman's Old Style.

MyOldKyDram
12-08-2012, 13:30
Burley Barley Wine at West Sixth Brewing.

smokinjoe
12-08-2012, 15:31

The first time I had that beer a couple of years ago, I absolutely loved it. The last couple of times, I have not. Too sweet, and as you say, nothing else really going on. I have one left in the fridge that I'll get to tomorrow to see if things get better.

Special Reserve
12-09-2012, 06:58
Has anyone tried Founders Bolt Cutter?

Is it worth the price?

Thanks.

Will

unclebunk
12-09-2012, 08:08
However, tonight it's some lighter fare that's dear to my heart. Some may call this pee water, but I don't care. So without further hesitation..."imported" all the way from the great state of WI...it's Heileman's Old Style.

Old Style is pee water, but that didn't stop me from drinking six of them yesterday while watching sports on t.v.:grin:

unclebunk
12-09-2012, 08:11
But last night was a perfect evening for stout. I started off with one of my favorites, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and followed with another classic, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I actually found a place that had them on clearance and was able to pick up a twelve pack of 22 oz bombers for $14!! Talk about a steal!

atfree
12-09-2012, 18:07
I'm enjoying the remainder of a bottle of Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel lager tonight. This is a very drinkable dunkel that I will definitely be buying more of. Ayinger makes some mighty fine beers!

clingman71
12-09-2012, 21:29
Went to a pretty killer bottle tasting event today. Knocked quite a few off of my must try list:

GI Bourbon County Rare
The Bruery Black Tuesday
Westvleteren Blonde
GI King Henry
Jolly Pumpkin Grande Reserve Bier de Mars

Plus a Bourbon County '06-'12 vertical and a lot more that ill never remember

tanstaafl2
12-09-2012, 21:53
The Black Tuesday is a pretty rare find!

Today I had a Shipyard Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Blueberry. A stout type beer (the bottle says it is a "Malt Beverage with Natural Flavor) but was a bit disappointing as any suggestion of blueberry required a bit of imagination.

Not likely to try again.

stevegoz
12-10-2012, 10:36
Plus a Bourbon County '06-'12 vertical and a lot more that ill never remember

Did you have a favorite from this bunch? I did a '09-'12 vertical with some friends Saturday night and thought the '10 drank the best.

Central Waters just released their 2012 bourbon-barrel aged stout, which spent a full year in the wood (twice as long as previous vintages). Had some Saturday night; can't wait to try against the '11.

smokinjoe
12-10-2012, 17:29
Goode Island Christmas Ale in my hotel. Should fortify me enough to brave the cold and head out for dinner in a few minutes.

clingman71
12-10-2012, 17:48
Did you have a favorite from this bunch? I did a '09-'12 vertical with some friends Saturday night and thought the '10 drank the best.

Central Waters just released their 2012 bourbon-barrel aged stout, which spent a full year in the wood (t

wice as long as previous vintages). Had some Saturday night; can't wait to try against the '11.

I would say '07 & '10 stood out. I had an '05 about 6 months ago, it was stellar.

Clavius
12-11-2012, 19:34
Well Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is gone from the shelves here so I had to crack into my stash of about a case. Great stuff.

HighInTheMtns
12-11-2012, 21:50
I'm drinking a Red Rock Secale, a rye dopplebock aged in rye barrels from High West (so probably LDI) - very enjoyable. I've bunkered a handful since it's a seasonal and ages well.

unclebunk
12-12-2012, 06:53
Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.

stevegoz
12-12-2012, 07:58
Having enjoyed several fine beers from the Tyranena Brewing Company (Wisconsin), I decided to pick up a six-pack of their seasonal Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale yesterday. Maybe it was the fact that I sampled it after drinking two bottles of Founders Dirty Bastard, but the Sheep Shagger just didn't do it for me. And I mean not at all. It had a subtle taste of day old hazelnut coffee and vaguely reminded me of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale, a beer I absolutely detested from the very first sip. I'll have to give the SS another go tonight to see if my opinion changes any but for now, this one was a real disappointment.

They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.

unclebunk
12-12-2012, 10:16
They're definitely hit or miss. I enjoyed a Hop Whore IIPA from Tyranena last night. The new year should bring us their Down and Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, which is a winner in my book.

And speaking of hit or miss, I'm two-thirds of the way through Two Brothers' 15 beers for 15 years series. Enjoyed the Pahoehoe coconut ale well enough last night.

I'll keep an eye out for the Down & Dirty Oatmeal Stout. BTW, Main Street is still well-stocked with Bourbon County. Too bad the damned stuff costs $25 a four pack!

stevegoz
12-12-2012, 10:21
BTW, Main Street is still well-stocked with Bourbon County. Too bad the damned stuff costs $25 a four pack!

Bought a case last week!

tanstaafl2
12-12-2012, 13:15
Tried a Founder's Dirty Bastard after learning that I missed out on the Backwoods Bastard this year. Pretty good stuff!

I also picked up a couple of Traquair 2020 ales yesterday (more a true English barleywine than Scotch Ale that supposedly can sit on the shelf until 2020) and hopefully encouraged the store to get some of the Traquair House Ale and Jacobite Ale so I can see what a true Scotch Ale should taste like.

True English Barleywine isn't that easy to find either so will try to one of the 2020's and then leave the other to sit a spell.

clingman71
12-12-2012, 20:29
Drank a 90 minute with dinner, but the real news was picking up 2 Westvleteren gift packs, 2 4 pks of Bourbon Co stout, and a Brooklyn Black Ops, pretty Damn good day!

stevegoz
12-12-2012, 20:45
Drank a 90 minute with dinner, but the real news was picking up 2 Westvleteren gift packs, 2 4 pks of Bourbon Co stout, and a Brooklyn Black Ops, pretty Damn good day!

How much did the Westys run? They were ~80 bucks in Chicagoland.

clingman71
12-13-2012, 05:32
$85, it was supposed to be a set price everywhere.

tanstaafl2
12-13-2012, 10:25
I learned from a friend in the business that Total Wine here locally was making them available (albeit quietly) a week and a half or so ago. As a result I was able to pick up 3 six packs and managed to avoid any potential hassle of fighting traffic and waiting in line yesterday morning, especially since I already had a dental appointment that morning and didn't want to cancel.

I must say the included glasses are small and kind of chintzy. I much prefer my standard full size Westvleteren glass.

I am particularly interested in putting one up against the last remaining 12 I have that was bought in Brussels on a trip this past September.

smokinjoe
12-13-2012, 10:34
By the way, how is Westvleteren properly pronounced? Accent on the vlet? On the ter? Other?

clingman71
12-13-2012, 11:07
I got one locally via lottery and knew well in advance. I got lucky and got the second at TPS. They sold out in 3 minutes even with server issues. Many experienced locked up webpages while trying to purchase. I've heard/read a lot of grumbling about the beer not being as good as "regular" westvleteren 12. I pretty much call bullshit on this. I had some last summer, it was fantastic, BUT, the generous friend who shared it said he had experienced a lot of variance bottle to bottle in his case. They make 3 beers, does anyone think they,would have gone to the trouble of changing recipe or mashbill for the export batch? Remember, they are under 5K barrels per year output. I think similarly aged bottles of regular vs export will have little/no difference.

tanstaafl2
12-13-2012, 11:57
By the way, how is Westvleteren properly pronounced? Accent on the vlet? On the ter? Other?

What I heard locally in Brussels was "vest FLAY teren" with a long A sound. I had always pronounced it as "vest VLEH teren" but that wasn't how the locals said it.

tanstaafl2
12-13-2012, 12:03
I got one locally via lottery and knew well in advance. I got lucky and got the second at TPS. They sold out in 3 minutes even with server issues. Many experienced locked up webpages while trying to purchase. I've heard/read a lot of grumbling about the beer not being as good as "regular" westvleteren 12. I pretty much call bullshit on this. I had some last summer, it was fantastic, BUT, the generous friend who shared it said he had experienced a lot of variance bottle to bottle in his case. They make 3 beers, does anyone think they,would have gone to the trouble of changing recipe or mashbill for the export batch? Remember, they are under 5K barrels per year output. I think similarly aged bottles of regular vs export will have little/no difference.

I can't imagine they change the recipe but it is definitely small batch brewing and tends to vary some from batch to batch. That has been reported for a long time. They don't make a lot as you note and certainly don't try to blend for a particular taste profile. My understanding is there are only about 25 monks in the entire monastery and only about 5 of them do the brewing.

The recent increased output and availability I am told is to to try to repair the place as it is apparently in some need of fixing up. I didn't get to go there on my trip to Belgium so I don't know what it looks like in person. But maybe making more may put a strain on getting the ingredients they usually prefer?

In general, trying to ratchet things up for increased output could certainly have an impact on overall taste and not usually for the better.

smokinjoe
12-13-2012, 12:04
What I heard locally in Brussels was "vest FLAY teren" with a long A sound. I had always pronounced it as "vest VLEH teren" but that wasn't how the locals said it.

Ah. I see. I, uh, forgot about that Euro W pronounced like a V thing, too...:crazy: Thanks, Bruce.

tanstaafl2
12-13-2012, 12:10
Mostly a Dutch thing in this case which of course is similar to German and that whole W/V thing!

HighInTheMtns
12-14-2012, 19:43
Drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration, first one of the year. Never a letdown.

RVTsteve
12-15-2012, 20:21
Going to The Trappist for Kerstbier Fest 2012. Here's a menu of about half the beers on tap tonight.

WAINWRIGHT
12-15-2012, 20:48
Bent River Uncommon Stout,no complaints here always satisfying.

Special Reserve
12-16-2012, 06:18
Going to The Trappist for Kerstbier Fest 2012. Here's a menu of about half the beers on tap tonight.

The Nogne O Winter Ale has my mouth watering.

berto
12-16-2012, 13:07
Westvleteren 12 last night. Lived up to the hype. I will do a tasting and compare it to the St.Bernardus ABT 12 and the Rochefort 10. I have some Xmas beers from various places that are calling my name as well. It's going to be a beer filled couple of weeks.

DanG
12-16-2012, 13:29
I shared the first bottle from my pack on Friday as well and also thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it more than the Rochefort 10, which I also like very much. More of a dry flavor and a little more alcoholic bite on the end to the Westvleteren.

I would really love to try the blonde and the brune one day.

BoozeTraveler
12-17-2012, 06:36
Last night was a growler of New Albanian's Dunwich Porter that I picked up on my weekend trip to Louisville. Tasty glass o' brew.

tanstaafl2
12-18-2012, 10:28
Working through some pumpkin ales I still have lying about. A couple of Dogfish Head Punkin Ales to start and then finished the evening with a change of pace with a Dragon's Milk stout.

May go hunting for some Wheat Wine Ale today as it sounds like an interesting winter option.

stevegoz
12-18-2012, 12:47
Goose Island Big John -- ridiculous chocolate bomb of an imperial stout.

Pipeworks Santa v. Unicorn, a nice thick barleywine.

Half Acre Bourbon Barrel Aged Baume, a rye stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. Respectable, but my mindhole wasn't blown.

Looking forward to cracking open a 2012 Half Acre Big Hugs Coffee Stout some evening soon....

thiemb
12-18-2012, 23:00
Revolution Fistmas. A great Christmas ale by a great Chicago brewery.

smokinjoe
12-19-2012, 15:36
Getting ready to wrap some Christmas presents with Founder's Backwoods Bastard.

How I'm going to get my wifes knee high black boots that I got her into this little bottle is beyond me...(badumbump)....:rolleyes:

tanstaafl2
12-19-2012, 15:41
Getting ready to wrap some Christmas presents with Founder's Backwoods Bastard.

Missed out on that one this season it appears. How is it compared to the Founder's Dirty Bastard?

smokinjoe
12-19-2012, 15:50
Missed out on that one this season it appears. How is it compared to the Founder's Dirty Bastard?

Honestly Bruce, I've not had enough of either to give an informed statement. I'll bring you one tomorrow, though, and you can try it out and see what you think.

MyOldKyDram
12-19-2012, 15:51
Having a Moerlein Christkindl tonight.

tanstaafl2
12-19-2012, 16:08
Honestly Bruce, I've not had enough of either to give an informed statement. I'll bring you one tomorrow, though, and you can try it out and see what you think.

Sounds good! I look forward to it. Would you like a Dirty Bastard to compare?

smokinjoe
12-19-2012, 17:42
Sounds good! I look forward to it. Would you like a Dirty Bastard to compare?

Yessir! Thanks. See you then!

Beer&Bourbon
12-20-2012, 08:38
Anyone cracking something special for Christmas morning? My wife and I started opening Christmas morning beers a couple of years ago and have continued this tradition. She'll be opening a 1 year old KBS and I'll be opening a J.W. Lees from 1999. (The thick sweet beers seem to be a better pairing with breakfast than anything else.) I'll probably open a few sour beers that evening as well - maybe my 2003 Drie Fonteinen vintage gueuze since it's only a 375 mL bottle.

Ejmharris
12-20-2012, 10:07
Nothing too crazy for me just a Listermams white death and cincinnatus.

Mike

stevegoz
12-20-2012, 10:23
Since it might be too late to post this on Saturday, will be bringing some Stone Enjoy by 12.21.12 and a Unibroue Fin du Monde to poker tomorrow night. In anticipation of the end of the world, my buds are collectively putting up a four-year vertical of FFF Dark Lord!

squire
12-20-2012, 13:22
End of the world huh, I'd forgotten about that, wish I had some Unibroue Trois Pistoles on hand for the event.

MyOldKyDram
12-20-2012, 17:00
Same here, a little La Fin du Monde tonight.

Beer&Bourbon
12-21-2012, 09:47
Nothing too crazy for me just a Listermams white death and cincinnatus.
Mike

You could certainly do worse than that. The new head brewer at Listermann's is doing a great job. Have you tried the Chickow (hazelnut double brown ale)? It's delicious and there's a bourbon barrel full of it right now as well.

Low West
12-21-2012, 11:03
I just tried for the first time, FiftyFifty Brewing Co. Eclipse, aged in Old Fitzgerald barrels. Poured like motor oil, but tasted like nothing i've ever had before. Just really amazing stuff. Pretty pricey, but I would probably treat myself again. Thankfully it only comes out once a year. I have another bottle aged in Rittenhouse barrels, that I will get to this weekend. Anyone else heard/tried this before? I didn't see much of any reviews out there?

Tennessee Dave
12-21-2012, 11:12
Weihenstephaner Vitus and Delirium Tremens. Both are outstanding winter beers.

stevegoz
12-21-2012, 15:45
I just tried for the first time, FiftyFifty Brewing Co. Eclipse, aged in Old Fitzgerald barrels. Poured like motor oil, but tasted like nothing i've ever had before. Just really amazing stuff. Pretty pricey, but I would probably treat myself again. Thankfully it only comes out once a year. I have another bottle aged in Rittenhouse barrels, that I will get to this weekend. Anyone else heard/tried this before? I didn't see much of any reviews out there?

I've heard very good things about Eclipse, but the price point will keep me from buying any this year. Twenty bucks is my current line in the sand when it comes to a single bottle, even at 650 or 750 ml size. More for the rest of you!

berto
12-21-2012, 23:59
Affligem Noel. A nice reward after a long week at work. Perfect with dinner and to send me to sleepy town.

stevegoz
12-22-2012, 10:47
After having the last four vintages of FFF Dark Lord last night, I remain flummoxed as to the hype around this beer. It's sweet and syrupy and occasionally soy saucy -- the 2009 would've done wonders on some chicken breast -- and one that I'm going to have to file under "just not for me, I guess."

And I love imperial stouts!

Tennessee Dave
12-22-2012, 10:58
A Laguintas day today....Brown Shugga and a Little Sumpin' Wild

Clavius
12-22-2012, 17:44
Some Sierra Nevada Torpedo tonight.

ethangsmith
12-22-2012, 17:57
Had some Yuengling Porter this evening, National Bohemian on Friday, Genesee 12 Horse on Thursday, some Yuengling Black and Tan on Wednesday, and Yuengling Porter and Yuengling Premium at the Pottsville Brewery on Tuesday!

tanstaafl2
12-22-2012, 18:09
Strawn American Wheat Ale, Amber Ale and a very interesting and tasty Scottish Export/80 style ale. It is a small brewery in my hometown of Fairburn outside Atlanta just getting started. They are trying to break into the market so I wish them well! Currently everything is kegs for the bar/restaurant market but they hope to start bottling soon. Otherwise the best place to try it is at the brewery, which I did last night.

A bit of a change of pace after hitting the bourbon pretty hard the night before at the GBS Christmas spectacular at Mac McGee!

HighInTheMtns
12-23-2012, 18:55
I'm enjoying a Red Rock RÍve, a Belgian tripel style beer, at the Red Rock brewpub.

Tony
12-23-2012, 19:23
Hopslam by Bell's tonight. Very nice.

Best regards, Tony

smokinjoe
12-23-2012, 19:30
Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.

clingman71
12-23-2012, 22:58
Zombie Dust while watching the Bengals win.

unclebunk
12-24-2012, 13:29
Had a couple of Moretti La Rossa's at family dinner at the local Italian joint. I always forget how enjoyable this beer is, between the 2 times per year that I drink it. Nice malty backbone with a touch of sweetness. Easy drinking, and went well with the Chicken Marsala.

Funny you should mention this beer, Joe. I went looking for Moretti's Doppio Malto recently and couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if the La Rossa is the same beer with an altered name/label. Your description of the flavor matches the DM which I always loved.

Gillman
12-24-2012, 15:09
Bass Ale on draft.

This classic from the 70's (whose heyday was actually the 1870's) is a "keg" beer, i.e., a pasteurized, filtered pale ale which differs by its nature from the unpasteurized and often unfiltered craft ales which have held court amongst the aficionados since 1980. There is some naturally-conditioned Bass Draught available still in England, but it is hard to find.

Bass is one of the oldest names in English brewing and this current draft, brewed I understand in the U.S., is very good. It offers a strong flavor of caramel malt, yellow fruits and apples. It reminded me somewhat of a number of Belgian ales, and it wouldn't surprise me if English ales mid-1800's tasted like many Belgian beers do today due probably to use of multi-strain yeasts.

This particular flavour of Bass is not something I embrace at first sip but it grows on you. It is clearly a taste inherited from long ago, no one would "invent" a flavour like this for "today's" market.

Tasted at the Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, tonight which was rather quiet after work, understandably.

Gary

Ejmharris
12-24-2012, 20:46
Three Floyd's Zombie Dust! It was fantastic!!!

Mike