PDA

View Full Version : New member that's new to Bourbon.

Ruination
10-16-2012, 11:09
I have been interested for awhile in branching out from only drinking craft beer. I was really introduced to bourbon by the way of barrel aged beers.

I didn't really know where to start as someone with basically zero experience with whiskey. I recently bought a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel based on a few suggestions. I guess the idea was to start somewhere in the middle of the road to get familiar with a decent quality bourbon. Last week I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve, based on another suggestion as a good one to try for someone that is new. I think at this point, I prefer the Woodford.

Tony
10-16-2012, 13:00
Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

Ejmharris
10-16-2012, 14:20
Welcome to the board and I love the screen name. I am a fan of the Ruination myself.

As you are completely new to bourbon or whiskey or that matter, bourbon is made with at least 51% corn, flavoring grain (wheat or rye) and malted barley (usually a very low %).

What you have tried are two rye bourbons. I see that you are in Ohio so will give a couple of recommendations for you to try that can be found here:

Rye:
- Four roses single barrel (hard to find in Ohio but some stres do have it) usually runs around $33.
- buffalo trace usually runs around $22

Wheat:
Makers Mark - usually runs around $25.

These would be good intros for getting started. If you ever get to the Cincinnati or northern Kentucky area, do yourself a favor an stop in "The Party Source." Their selection is much larger than what you can find in Ohio, due to us living in a controlled state for liquor. If you Mae it there drop me a pm before you go and would be happy to give some additional recommendations. Hell, most likely would just meet you there as I go a lot more often than I would care to admit, especially to my wife. :)

Ruination
10-17-2012, 09:19
Thanks for the good info and suggestions. There is a bourbon bar in downtown Dayton that I will have to check out. I know it won't be the best value as far as dollar per ounce is concerned, but should good way to try a few different things without having to purchase an entire bottle.

I've been down to Party Source many times, even had some beer tasting events down there with a popular beer rating website. Every time I've been there though, I've always just been interested in the beer selection and never bothered to look at anything else.

PaulO
10-17-2012, 13:54
Trying pours at a well stocked bar is a good way to decide if you like something. My simple rule is anything 86+ proof with an age statement is worth trying. Anything bottled in bond is interesting. If you like Woodford, try Old Forester Signature.

darylld911
10-17-2012, 16:19
Besides a good bar, check for a store that has what I refer to as "Airplane Samples". The selection isn't as wide, but you can get a lot of pretty good stuff to try that way (and stuff that will be twice as expensive for the same shot in a bar). I've done that for things like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bookers, Knob Creek, etc. You might pay close to $10 for a shot of Bookers in a bar, but can pick up the 50 mL for half that or less.

Ruination
10-18-2012, 15:08
The wife was at Party Source today and picked up a few of those "airline samples". She brought home a sample of Bookers, Blantons, and a three pack of Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18 (I know, not bourbon, but I'm happy to try them)

PaulO
10-19-2012, 08:00
Those higher end little bottles are not so easy to find. Nice

p_elliott
10-19-2012, 09:08
The wife was at Party Source today and picked up a few of those "airline samples". She brought home a sample of Bookers, Blantons, and a three pack of Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18 (I know, not bourbon, but I'm happy to try them)

Welcome aboard! You're headed down a slippery slope I remember when I had 2 bottles in my cabinet now my cabinet is full and I have boxes on the floor :cool:. Come join us in chat some time.

ThirstyinOhio
10-20-2012, 19:44
Always nice to see another buckeye join the boards. If you have any questions, ask away. This group is always more than willing to answer your questions and have incredible knowledge.

Ruination
10-21-2012, 09:16
So I was at a restaurant with a well stocked bar and I noticed a few bottles on the top shelf that I recognized, mostly from this forum. I ordered some Bookers, even though I knew it's probably not recommended for whiskey beginners, but I couldn't resist. I was very surprised at how strong it was, but also how smooth it was despite the high proof. It was definitely one of the most flavorful drinks I've ever tried. And the palate seemed incredible. Awesome stuff, and I'm completely sold on purchasing a bottle as soon as I see one around.

MarkEdwards
10-21-2012, 10:59
Welcome, and have fun! I must warn you, though - these folks have totally corrupted me to the point that I feel I am the sole support for my favorite liquor store. :)

Restaurant man
10-21-2012, 21:22
Welcome aboard. Very glad to have you here. My suggestion would be to give wild turkey rare breed a shot. U can find it in "small bottles" but I never buy em. It's just enough bourbon to piss you off :hot:

Ruination
10-23-2012, 21:10
It looks like I found a great place to try some new things. A local bar here in town seems to have a great selection.
http://www.centurybourbon.com/p/our-bourbons-whiskeys.html?m=1

p_elliott
10-24-2012, 08:41
It looks like I found a great place to try some new things. A local bar here in town seems to have a great selection.

Nice list and they were doing good until they had about 3 or 4 things listed under bourbon that are not bourbon.

clingman71
10-24-2012, 10:40
Welcome, always good to see Buckeyes on here, especially Daytonians. Century Bar is about as good as it gets in Ohio. I second the notion of trying a wheater, unfortunately Ohio is pretty desolate beyond Makers & 46. I would suggest Elmer T Lee as well, has only been in Ohio about a year.

Ruination
10-24-2012, 11:13
Nice list and they were doing good until they had about 3 or 4 things listed under bourbon that are not bourbon.

Just out of curiosity, which ones?

Ruination
10-24-2012, 11:14
Welcome, always good to see Buckeyes on here, especially Daytonians. Century Bar is about as good as it gets in Ohio. I second the notion of trying a wheater, unfortunately Ohio is pretty desolate beyond Makers & 46. I would suggest Elmer T Lee as well, has only been in Ohio about a year.

Would you recommend Bernheim? They have some at Arrow Wine.

HighInTheMtns
10-24-2012, 11:48
Would you recommend Bernheim? They have some at Arrow Wine.
Bernheim is a straight wheat whiskey (>50% wheat, the remainder corn and barley.)

"Wheater" refers to a bourbon which uses wheat as the flavor grain (>50% corn, the remainder wheat and barley) as opposed to a more typical rye mash bourbon.

Bernheim doesn't have a lot in common with wheater bourbons. The wheaters you're likely to see around are the ubiquitous Maker's Mark, Weller line, and the Old Fitzgerald line (including Larceny.) If you're lucky maybe you'll also run into some Van Winkle bottles.

And by the way... Welcome!

HighInTheMtns
10-24-2012, 11:49
Just out of curiosity, which ones?

Early Times
Jeremiah Weed
Red Stag series

Ruination
10-25-2012, 10:40
Bernheim is a straight wheat whiskey (>50% wheat, the remainder corn and barley.)

"Wheater" refers to a bourbon which uses wheat as the flavor grain (>50% corn, the remainder wheat and barley) as opposed to a more typical rye mash bourbon.

Bernheim doesn't have a lot in common with wheater bourbons. The wheaters you're likely to see around are the ubiquitous Maker's Mark, Weller line, and the Old Fitzgerald line (including Larceny.) If you're lucky maybe you'll also run into some Van Winkle bottles.

And by the way... Welcome!

Oh, thanks for the clearing that up for me.

ThirstyinOhio
10-25-2012, 20:33

I highly recommend Lizardville if you make it to the other side of the state. Here is their website, http://www.lizardville.net/?q=whiskey&location=Bedford

Ruination
10-31-2012, 08:52
I highly recommend Lizardville if you make it to the other side of the state. Here is their website, http://www.lizardville.net/?q=whiskey&location=Bedford

That place looks great. My wife is from the Cleveland area, so I'll check this place out the next time we're visiting her family.

Ruination
10-31-2012, 09:20
I tried Makers 46 for the first time last night. I was impressed and really liked it. It was unique, flavorful, and easy to drink. Although, it seem to be quite heavy on the spice. (cinnamon?) It reminded me of something that would be marketed as a "holiday" drink. It also struck me as a drink that may serve well for introducing someone to bourbon, as it was noticeably smoother than some of the typical rye bourbons I've tasted.

clingman71
10-31-2012, 11:05
OWA-Weller 12 vatted is referred to on here as the "SB blend". It is my go to daily pour. Sometimes though, as a change of pace, I enjoy a vatting of Makers and M46

Ruination
11-01-2012, 14:15
A couple of these arrived today. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Glencairn-Scotch-Whisky-Glass/dp/B001AW9GYS/)

p_elliott
11-02-2012, 08:37
A couple of these arrived today. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Glencairn-Scotch-Whisky-Glass/dp/B001AW9GYS/)

You're getting the right equipment for the job!