PDA

View Full Version : Which Four Roses expression should I buy?

enn
10-23-2012, 16:00
Hello,

I'd like to give Four Roses another chance after being unimpressed with one of the expressions (don't remember which) a few years ago. But Binny's has a ton of options:

Small Batch - $29.99
Yellow Label - $19.99
Single Barrel - $38.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OBSQ Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESQ Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OBSF Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESK Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESO Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OBSV Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OESF Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OBSK Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
Barrel Strength Single Barrel OBSO Binny's Handpicked - $54.99
2011 Limited Edition Small Batch - $79.99
2011 Single Barrel Limited Edition Vintage - $79.99
2012 Single Barrel Limited Edition Vintage - $79.99

(I don't know if all of these are actually in stock.)

The $80 bottles are a bit steep for me. The $55 bottles fall right about at my upper limit, but if I'm spending that much I don't want to just pick one of nine (!) different mash bills and just hope it's good. So which one of these should I grab? I tend to like older bourbons, I love Weller 12, loved EC18, and loved some of the EWSB bottlings.

AaronWF
10-23-2012, 16:27
I'm a big fan of their OBSQ and OBSV selections, if you can still find them. Otherwise, the standard single barrel is just about as good as you can buy for < $40, though like any single barrel offering, taste will vary between bottles.

petrel800
10-23-2012, 16:33
I like the spiciness of the OBSK, but obviously these bottles very greatly from bottle to bottle. I had a bottle from the party source in KY and enjoyed it immensely. At the end of the day, hard to go wrong with the standard Single Barrel. I always seem to have one open on my bar at home.

Ejmharris
10-23-2012, 16:45
Hello,

I'd like to give Four Roses another chance after being unimpressed with one of the expressions (don't remember which) a few years ago. But Binny's has a ton of options:

Small Batch - $29.99
Yellow Label - $19.99
Single Barrel - $38.99

The $80 bottles are a bit steep for me. The $55 bottles fall right about at my upper limit, but if I'm spending that much I don't want to just pick one of nine (!) different mash bills and just hope it's good. So which one of these should I grab? I tend to like older bourbons, I love Weller 12, loved EC18, and loved some of the EWSB bottlings.

I would say if you are just getting your feet wet with 4R's try the single barrel and or the small batch. You really can't go wrong with either. Some of the normal single barrels have been a favorite of mine. I have not had Binnys barrel proof SB's but I have had party sources SB's and the OESK has been my favorite. Read the four roses web site and the my describe each of their recipes and some general tasting notes.

humchan2k
10-23-2012, 17:19
I agree - 4R Single Barrel is a dream of a whiskey. Small Batch is a bit thin for my liking, but still, any 4R product is good!

berto
10-23-2012, 17:36
I've tried the Yellow Label and the basic Small Batch. Small Batch hands down.

Young Blacksmith
10-23-2012, 17:41
Four Roses is different than other distilleries. Heaven Hill puts out one mashbill at several ages, so if you like one, chances are you will like another. 4R does several mashbills and several ages, so it's a bit harder to dismiss the whole or like the whole just trying one.

For instance I love yellow label, don't really dig small batch, and some of the single barrels are just OK. But I also rate an OESK one of the best whiskeys I've had to date.

Knowing that, here's my opinion: Try yellow label. See how it works for you, it's cheap enough. If you like the spicy sweetness, try the standard single barrel. See how it treats you. Take your time and explore gently, as your curiosity dictates. Remember, most of the 4R products are high rye, one of the highest if I remember right. Looking at my notes they have 2 rye contents, 35% and 20%. It may be that high rye, slightly younger whiskeys are not to your liking right now, or ever.

If you've tried Bulleit, you've pretty much tried the small batch, I think it's that similar.

Everyone's taste is different, the only thing you can do is try them!

Josh
10-23-2012, 17:43
Hello,

Small Batch - $29.99
Yellow Label - $19.99
Single Barrel - $38.99

All of them.

Seriously, though, you can't go wrong with any of those, except for the F yeast ones. Stay away.

Clavius
10-23-2012, 18:12
Personally, I prefer the SmB over the SB. The few bottles of the SB I've had have always been hot and one dimensional to me. Whereas the standard SmB seems to have a little more complexity to it. As for the more rare/special editions, I've only had the 2010 SmB and did not care for it at all.

MyOldKyDram
10-23-2012, 18:16
Most recent TPS one we got was the OESQ, and I can't say enough good things about it.

White Dog
10-23-2012, 19:11
All of them.

Seriously, though, you can't go wrong with any of those, except for the F yeast ones. Stay away.

But he's also serious when he says "All of them." If you don't try everything, you'll always be wondering.

nivto
10-23-2012, 20:31
If it's your first time back with Four Roses in some time and you're looking for one to win you over I'd say OBSK is your best bet.

Brisko
10-23-2012, 20:48
Personally, I prefer the small batch, but I think it happens to rub me just the right way. Since you like older bourbons, I would recommend the standard single barrel for starters. It isn't all that old (ranging from 8 to 10 if I recall) but they tend to show a lot of barrel influence. Plus it's not a huge investment.

Josh
10-23-2012, 20:55
But he's also serious when he says "All of them." If you don't try everything, you'll always be wondering.

Yes, the mind meld was sucessful.

spinningrecords
10-23-2012, 22:33
I own them all and haven't found one I don't like.

HighInTheMtns
10-23-2012, 22:34
I'm drinking some TPS OBSQ right now. It's fantastic, it gets better with every pour. When I bought it, I also got an OBSK. At first it was clear that OBSK was my favorite of the two; now, not so clear - both are great; these are some wonderful bourbons. I don't think you can go wrong.

My best advice is for you to evaluate the mashbills and recipes and decide on one or two that appeal the most to you. But I think that ultimately the only answer is "all of them."

JLH3
10-23-2012, 23:07
Personally, I prefer the small batch, but I think it happens to rub me just the right way. Since you like older bourbons, I would recommend the standard single barrel for starters. It isn't all that old (ranging from 8 to 10 if I recall) but they tend to show a lot of barrel influence. Plus it's not a huge investment.

I'm also a big fan of the Small Batch.

Rutherford
10-24-2012, 08:35
I also generally prefer the standard small batch over anything else 4R I've had, including the single barrel and the latest LE small batch. It is elegant, complex, and smooth without being muddled. The single barrel seems more one-dimensional to me.

p_elliott
10-24-2012, 08:52
Stu had one at the Houston get together that was just outstanding but I can't remember the mashbill on it. Stu would you care to share it with us?

samstone
10-24-2012, 18:42
Ive only had 2 of the expressions listed. In my opinion the small batch is better than the Single Barrel and cheaper, so its the Small batch hands down for me. Went through 2 bottles of it last month

tanstaafl2
10-24-2012, 21:43
Happened to pass through my local store just as the 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch was hitting the shelves (well, not so much going on the shelf but rather being tucked away behind the counter. I was able to secure one of the few bottles not yet already promised) so I decided to give it a try. Don't have much recent experience with FR although I had a bit of it (yellow label I would guess) back in the day. I did pick up a bottle of the 2011 Limited Edition Single Barrel last year but unlike most of the whiskeys I buy I didn't ever get around to trying it.

Reviews seem to be a bit mixed on the 2011 SB LE so I was thinking it might be a nice option to bring the GBS gathering this weekend and see what some experienced bourbon enthusiasts thought of it!

trumpstylz
10-30-2012, 05:43
I'm drinking some TPS OBSQ right now. It's fantastic, it gets better with every pour. When I bought it, I also got an OBSK. At first it was clear that OBSK was my favorite of the two; now, not so clear - both are great; these are some wonderful bourbons. I don't think you can go wrong.

I vote oesq or obsq- the q is far and away the most unique thing they churn out. K is probably the most traditional (not necessarily in a bad way).

Call around- I think the lincoln park/marcey street location had at least a few bottles open at the service desk for sampling, although it is likely that it is a previous barreling, it will no doubt point you in the right direction.

Dolph Lundgren
10-30-2012, 17:18
Small batch is a great entry bottle. I brought a bottle to a Halloween party full of non-bourbon drinkers and it was gone in an hour.

Josh
10-30-2012, 17:33
As far as the individual recipe single barrels go, I would take a look at Dorothy's, I mean Oscar's, Four Roses Recipes thread and find the recipes for the ltd. ed. single barrels and try some of those. Might be a nice place to start.

LongBeachScott
11-01-2012, 23:04
I would recommend starting with a bottle of the small batch and a bottle of the regular single barrel. They are reasonably priced and I have never been disappointed by either one (although I prefer the single barrel).

scratchline
06-13-2013, 05:40
All of them.

Last night, best Four Roses I have EVER had: 10 yr, 4 mth, OESF. Never been a huge Four Roses guy, but this is one of my top whiskies EVER. I wish I had every bottle from this barrel.

-Mike

Old Dusty
06-13-2013, 05:55
[QUOTE=scratchline;349506]Last night, best Four Roses I have EVER had: 10 yr, 4 mth, OESF. Never been a huge Four Roses guy, but this was one of my top whiskies EVER. I wish I had every bottle from this barrel.

Gift shop or Private Selection? I have a TPS Private Selection Barrel Strength OESF at 9yr. 11mo that I haven't opened yet but your post may be the catalyst to do so.

scratchline
06-13-2013, 06:23
Private Selection. Just looked at the Party Source site. I'd say open your bottle and try it. Particularly since you can get another one if you end up sharing my enthusiasm for this recipe.

BTW, I didn't find it especially minty. Very round and dark. And to me the higher proof made it richer than some of the other barrel strength Four Roses I've tried. It was very easy to drink without water.

-Mike

Dolph Lundgren
06-13-2013, 06:26
Glad this thread has been revived because my opinions have changed a bit. I think the F yeast strain is the most volitile, but can yield some amazing results. I've tried a few OBSFs that were meh at best. Then I tried an OESF aged a tad over ten years that was absolutely amazing - real earthy and organic tasting - outside FR's normal profile. I have a new respect for the F yeast these days.

scratchline
06-13-2013, 06:34
Justin, I agree with you about this bottle being outside the characteristic taste profile for Four Roses. In fact, I wouldn't have identified it as a Four Roses bourbon if I had tasted it blind. I guess it's just more proof of how big the Four Roses playing field is.

Unearthed
06-13-2013, 08:04
Just picked up a bottle of the limited edition 2013 single barrel. Kind of intimidating at 122 proof. I have not opened it yet, but I am really looking forward to trying it. I never was a fan of Four Roses, but recently I've been able to try some of their limited and/or single barrel releases and I've really enjoyed them.

Old Dusty
06-13-2013, 08:33
Private Selection. Just looked at the Party Source site. I'd say open your bottle and try it. Particularly since you can get another one if you end up sharing my enthusiasm for this recipe.

BTW, I didn't find it especially minty. Very round and dark. And to me the higher proof made it richer than some of the other barrel strength Four Roses I've tried. It was very easy to drink without water.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, and for the review as well.

rndenks
06-13-2013, 08:34
I am a big fan of the regular SB, and I am wrapping up my second bottle. I also recently picked up a TPS SB OBSK. I have only had one pour, and did a brief tasting with standard SB. The OBSK is bit spicier, but in a good way. I like them both but I am not sure the OBSK is worth the extra $20+/-. I think I will always have a regular SB open on the shelf, but will continue to try the other recipes when I can.

mbroo5880i
06-13-2013, 08:49
Do they rotate the blend each year for their regular bottlings of SB? For example, OESQ one year and then a different blend the next. Do they release all blends in their regular SB bottlings over time?

Yeti
06-13-2013, 08:53
SB is always OBSV. Every time. SmB is always a blend of OBSO, OBSK, OESO, and OESK.

I've been spoiled with some extra aged OBSV and OBSK over the last 6 months, so that's skewed my preference toward those two. But at around the standard 10 year window I haven't tried enough of the different bottles to have an educated opinion. I've got plans to change that.

omgmarclol
06-13-2013, 08:59
cosign on this. my favorite 4R recipe(s) though are B/E K

Glad this thread has been revived because my opinions have changed a bit. I think the F yeast strain is the most volitile, but can yield some amazing results. I've tried a few OBSFs that were meh at best. Then I tried an OESF aged a tad over ten years that was absolutely amazing - real earthy and organic tasting - outside FR's normal profile. I have a new respect for the F yeast these days.

P&MLiquorsEric
06-13-2013, 18:28

Our labels for two barrels of F. Both in same warehouse and similar age. One was 2nd (of 6) tier and the other was 4th tier. 15718

scratchline
06-13-2013, 19:14
Our labels for two barrels of F. Both in same warehouse and similar age. One was 2nd (of 6) tier and the other was 4th tier. 15718

And these bottles will be available where?

P&MLiquorsEric
06-13-2013, 19:24
My store: packages & more liquors in Elizabethtown, KY. I am part of a buying group. The barrels will be split amongst our 15 members (from louisville to bowling green) but we plan to take quite a bit of it since we selected the barrels.

hectic1
06-13-2013, 19:28
My store: packages & more liquors in Elizabethtown, KY. I am part of a buying group. The barrels will be split amongst our 15 members (from louisville to bowling green) but we plan to take quite a bit of it since we selected the barrels. Very cool Eric...the F's are great if you can get your hands on the "right" barrels. Do you know the barrel numbers that your group picked? :)

Old Dusty
06-14-2013, 05:09
Anyone have much experience w the "O" s? A local store here has Private Selection OESO and OBSO. They don't seem to have appeared in many of the LE's except as vatting adds to the SmB.

Phil T
06-14-2013, 05:25
Anyone have much experience w the "O" s? A local store here has Private Selection OESO and OBSO. They don't seem to have appeared in many of the LE's except as vatting adds to the SmB.

I've had the Kahn's OESO, I dig it..YMMV

And, I finished a bottle of their OBSF a couple weeks ago, quite good also.

Josh
06-14-2013, 14:31
I am also a big fan of Os. I like the O recipes from Four Roses too.

Jackinbox
06-14-2013, 20:50
I'm curious about the OESF. I'm assuming getting a bottle of this is going to require me finding a retailer that did a special barrel buy? I don't recall seeing this one in the gift shop.

HighInTheMtns
06-14-2013, 21:21
I'm curious about the OESF. I'm assuming getting a bottle of this is going to require me finding a retailer that did a special barrel buy? I don't recall seeing this one in the gift shop.
Finding a retailer would be easiest. I think TPS has all 10. The gift shop doesn't stock all 10 at once but they'll likely have one sooner or later.

Restaurant man
06-14-2013, 21:53
I am also a big fan of Os. I like the O recipes from Four Roses too.

Love me some O's.

Old Dusty
06-15-2013, 06:21

TPS should have it in stock and at barrel strength. I brought one home a couple of weeks ago. It's worth the trip over anyway-ask for Eric if he's around. Nice guy and knows his stuff. They also have single barrel store selected OWA.

Dolph Lundgren
06-15-2013, 08:02

Yup. It's also better to try the F strain before you buy. It can be great stuff, or it can totally tank. A forum member bought a local retailer's OBSF, and man, was it bad. I've found that the OBSV is the safest bet if you can't try beforehand, IMO.

WAINWRIGHT
06-15-2013, 09:27
Yup. It's also better to try the F strain before you buy. It can be great stuff, or it can totally tank. A forum member bought a local retailer's OBSF, and man, was it bad. I've found that the OBSV is the safest bet if you can't try beforehand, IMO.
I couldn't agree more with this statement,I have had some younger selections that were just flat out bad and some older selections provided by another member here that was some of the best FR's I've ever tasted.Try before for you buy indeed!

scratchline
06-15-2013, 10:05
Got into an 8yr, 8m OESQ last night. It didn't have the knock-your-socks-off appeal of the F but was still fantastic whiskey. More restrained but no less flavorful. More of a peach, perfume flavor. At almost 120 it was higher proof than most of the other Four Roses I've had and carried it very well. It was bottled for a local steak house and for that reason I was expecting something a little bolder but wasn't at all disappointed by what it was. For me, these single recipe Four Roses hold their own with the Limited Releases at a much lower price.

-Mike

nivto
06-15-2013, 11:37
A good (and probably a bit older) selection of OBSF can be very dark and heavy, and some of the most complex and densely packed whiskey I've ever tasted. It's no slouch and to me not an "easy drinker", but it's definitely one to sit with and explore for a while. It loses the mint that plagues the younger selections and it's really become one of my favorites... and I agree, a poor selection of F yeast is not very good drinking whiskey and probably more suited for vatting.

MauiSon
06-17-2013, 13:05
So, why would anyone select a funky barrel? I guess I'm really wondering how those 'bad' barrels got into the selection program in the first place, since I understand how not-so-tasty bourbon can taste like ambrosia when imbibed after a previous palate-skewing tipple. For instance, I love tasting a pour of OO or OGD86 after a pour of fruity FRSB. The fruit just glides on into the next 2 or 3 pours and dances with the new rye partners.

suntour
06-19-2013, 11:02
Instead of starting a new thread for this, should I go out of my way to try to procure the 2013 limited edition?

I haven't seen a general consensus forming on it, but from the stats, age, and recipe, it looks like something I'd be way into.

P&MLiquorsEric
06-19-2013, 11:16
Instead of starting a new thread for this, should I go out of my way to try to procure the 2013 limited edition?

I haven't seen a general consensus forming on it, but from the stats, age, and recipe, it looks like something I'd be way into.

I dont know if i would over pay for this years. I have not had any of the limiteds that were bad bourbons.

If you have a local store with a private barrel selection, start there for about $50 instead of $80 for the limited. I have purchased 5 different private barrel offerings from other retailers and are were good to very good bourbons.

suntour
06-19-2013, 11:54
Thanks. I'd have to drive quite a ways to get this, and my folks will be heading to KY soon, so I'll probably just have them pick up something at one of the finer package stores in the area.

But know I'll be thinking/lusting over it while I nurse my bottle of Yellow Label.

MyOldKyDram
06-19-2013, 11:56
Any idea where in KY they're heading?

suntour
06-19-2013, 13:05
They'll be driving from NE Indiana and hitting some if not all of the trail, so I suspect somewhere reasonably convenient. I'd definitely pass recommendations along.

Phil T
06-19-2013, 13:28

I haven't seen a general consensus forming on it.

Always, Always, Always remember. .YMMV...only you will know what you like, and you won't know until you try it

P&MLiquorsEric
06-19-2013, 14:05
They'll be driving from NE Indiana and hitting some if not all of the trail, so I suspect somewhere reasonably convenient. I'd definitely pass recommendations along.

***cheap plug to follow***

Our barrel selections from 4R will be in stock soon (possibly next week). OESF (10 yrs 11months old) 122.4 proof and OBSF (10yr 11mo) 117.1 proof. Just received this info on them today! We are in Elizabethtown, about 11 miles from beam and 20 miles from bardstown. Just off I65!

trader1974
06-19-2013, 14:11
Awesome news! I have been looking forward to these.

theglobalguy
06-19-2013, 15:56
***cheap plug to follow***

Our barrel selections from 4R will be in stock soon (possibly next week). OESF (10 yrs 11months old) 122.4 proof and OBSF (10yr 11mo) 117.1 proof. Just received this info on them today! We are in Elizabethtown, about 11 miles from beam and 20 miles from bardstown. Just off I65!

I may have missed earlier dialog, but what is the retail price expected to be?

AaronWF
06-19-2013, 16:34
I agree, a poor selection of F yeast is not very good drinking whiskey and probably more suited for vatting.

I had a disappointing bottle of OBSF from Binny's a few years ago. Wasn't very pleasant neat, but it really dressed up the standard SmB into something very, very tasty. I haven't revisited the SmB since that bottle, as I found it thin and astringent, and without the silky sweet caramel notes to balance it out without the OBSF added, but I have tasted some OBSF since that is super dark, brooding and rich with depth of flavor.

AaronWF
06-19-2013, 16:37

I've only tasted from one bottle, but the bottle I have is fantastic - extreme in all directions and every flavor thread ends pleasingly. A superb, well-aged OBSK.

P&MLiquorsEric
06-19-2013, 16:49
I may have missed earlier dialog, but what is the retail price expected to be?

49.99 plus tax title and license.

MyOldKyDram
06-19-2013, 17:02
Any tasting notes or impressions on these, Eric?

sutton
06-19-2013, 17:16

Are you talking about TPS selections? I've been eyeing those as well and would be interested in any feedback from the community ...

P&MLiquorsEric
06-19-2013, 17:55
Any tasting notes or impressions on these, Eric?

I have never been good at taking notes.

I did write some words down but they were not all that different from the words four roses uses to describe each. Will see if I can dig them up in the am.

Old Dusty
06-19-2013, 18:07
Are you talking about TPS selections? I've been eyeing those as well and would be interested in any feedback from the community ...
TPS has them, but I was referring to a place in Indianapolis. I actually skipped the O's and went with a Private Selection OBSK instead.

scratchline
07-02-2013, 17:38
OBSK. Just under 11 yrs. 122.8 proof. Mint and cocoa and spice. Kind of like an alcoholic Mexican hot chocolate. Very good stuff.

-Mike

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 20:10
my first 4R was at a bar in Cincy. it was a barrel proofer, dont know what specifics, as at the time i didnt know all the varieties available of 4R. It was very interesting and i liked it....it was upper 50's on ABV (115-120 proof).

a few weeks ago, i picked up a 100 proof single barrel hoping for something similar. ive tried it 4 times now, and it got moved to the back of the booze cart, as i really just dont like it. i'll give or trade it to a friend who loves the stuff. i dont know what variety this is either, it just says single barrel on it, not limited edition, or anything.

not sure ill ever buy another, as theyre not cheap to buy it and decide you dont like it. too many options too. i mean, 10 different bourbons to choose from, really? most of them over $40 too, thats a pricey experiment.

T Comp
07-02-2013, 20:51
my first 4R was at a bar in Cincy. it was a barrel proofer, dont know what specifics, as at the time i didnt know all the varieties available of 4R. It was very interesting and i liked it....it was upper 50's on ABV (115-120 proof).

a few weeks ago, i picked up a 100 proof single barrel hoping for something similar. ive tried it 4 times now, and it got moved to the back of the booze cart, as i really just dont like it. i'll give or trade it to a friend who loves the stuff. i dont know what variety this is either, it just says single barrel on it, not limited edition, or anything.

not sure ill ever buy another, as theyre not cheap to buy it and decide you dont like it. too many options too. i mean, 10 different bourbons to choose from, really? most of them over $40 too, thats a pricey experiment.

The standard single barrel is the OBSV recipe and you should be able to find it in the $32 area versus $40. Also the 10 different recipes are easier to conceptualize broken down as 2 mash bills X 5 yeasts. And forget about the O and the S ;).

Interesting that you raise or even demonstrate a marketing phenomena, labelled by one psychologist as "The Paradox of Choice" and it creating anxiety and unhappiness in consumers. It doesn't present a problem, hell it's cherished, by most of us fanatics here but I have wondered if it ultimately hurts 4R some in the vast marketplace.

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 20:55
Yeah. Truly it's the greatest problem to have. I'll have all the 4R 1B (PS or GS) please.

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 21:35
Interesting that you raise or even demonstrate a marketing phenomena, labelled by one psychologist as "The Paradox of Choice" and it creating anxiety and unhappiness in consumers. It doesn't present a problem, hell it's cherished, by most of us fanatics here but I have wondered if it ultimately hurts 4R some in the vast marketplace.

it would be a nice problem to have, if they were priced better. yellow label is ~$15 and ive not heard a lot of good talk about it, and its proof is too low to consider to me (i stay at 100 and above). the small batch and single barrels can be in the $30 range. everything else (what i may be interested in) is $40+. when i DO see a barrel proof 4R around here, its labeled 55%. how a barrel proof can always be a flat 55%, I dont know....but they are $55+ here.

too many options, too pricey to experiment. thats my take. i really appreciate the detail and passion their distiller has, thats why i bought/tried the Single Barrel. but, it just didnt do it for me. with the 10+ choices and higher prices, i dont see me taking another shot at it. if someone hands me a shot of one of them, and i like it, then i would go out and buy that one. but im not going to blindly buy each one and hope to like it. if you know what you like, 10 choices is a great thing; pick what works best to you and enjoy it. to someone relatively new to bourbon like me, ill stick to offerings that offer fewer options.....like a 90, 100, and barrel proof offering of the same label.

nivto
07-02-2013, 21:36
, but I have tasted some OBSF since that is super dark, brooding and rich with depth of flavor.

I believe I'm familiar with the OBSF you are talking about :) I couldn't think of 3 better descriptors for it than "dark, brooding and rich"

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 21:39
and its the OBSV i have and dont care for. its just too mellow and boring to me. but, im in the minority on this, big time. to each his own, right? i am not badmouthing 4R at all, i am just saying i dont like THIS one.

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 21:43
May be the first time ive ever heard a complaint about 4R pricing. Especially in KY.

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 21:47
May be the first time ive ever heard a complaint about 4R pricing. Especially in KY.

to get a bottle of something from 4R that i MIGHT be interested in (but who knows, there are too many options) will be $40-55, or wll beyond that. thats a steep price when for $20-40 (or the price of upper level 4R products) i can pick up a bottle (or two, or 3 or 4) of something i KNOW i enjoy..........spend $40 and go home knowing ill enjoy something for a few weeks, or spend $40 and go home not knowing if i will enjoy it or want to toss it. easy choice to me.

case in point.....that OBSV single barrel was a few bucks over $30 and its sitting at the back of my rack, not wanting to reopen it. That money wouldve bought me an OGD 114 and any one of a number of BIB's....all of which would be enjoyed daily, as opposed to sitting unused and unappreciated.

YOU may like your 4R, but what i am getting at is im not taking another chance like that when i KNOW i would be happy with two of the alternatives instead of one take-a-chance-on-me bottles of 4R. but thats just me. obviously we all have different tastes, otherwise the bourbon aisle wouldnt be 60 feet long....

nivto
07-02-2013, 21:51
to get a bottle of something from 4R that i MIGHT be interested in (but who knows, there are too many options) will be $40-55, or wll beyond that. thats a steep price when for $20-40 i can pick up a bottle (or two, or 3 or 4) of something i KNOW i enjoy..........spend $40 and go home knowing ill enjoy it for a few weeks, or spend $40 and go home not knowing if i will enjoy it or want to toss it. easy choice to me.

how is that different than any other time you need to make a choice when wanting to try a new bourbon?

Only you know what you like and what is worthy of the cost and nobody can take that away from you, but in this market, $40-55 for a privately selected single barrel offering at barrel proof and non chill filtered is a steal, as far as I'm concerned.

If you do decide to take another chance, go for an OBSK. It's a pretty solid hitter.

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 21:51
Wish more people felt that way about 4R currently. Still, I understand what you're saying.

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 21:57
Wish more people felt that way about 4R currently. Still, I understand what you're saying.

you wish that more people didnt like 4R? why? so the shelf would be better stocked for you.........or so the 10 options would be cut down to fewer choices?

by the way, ive only seen 3 options of 4R whenever i go to the liquor barn. yellow, small batch and single barrell....thats it

nivto
07-02-2013, 21:58
or so the 10 options would be cut down to fewer choices?

I think it's only a matter of time until that becomes a reality, and it will be a sad sad day.

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 21:59
If you do decide to take another chance, go for an OBSK. It's a pretty solid hitter.

if i knew what that barrel proofer in Cincy was, theres a good chance id take another shot at it. that one was really good, but it was night and day from the OBSV i have here

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 21:59
I'm a greedy bastard. I don't want to have to work so hard for my love.

393foureyedfox
07-02-2013, 22:02
I think it's only a matter of time until that becomes a reality, and it will be a sad sad day.

i agree, the market will ultimately determine some to survive and others to be poor sellers. i can see 5, but not 10+ (all the 10 normals, plus limited editions, barrel proofers, store-picked barrels, etc)

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 22:04

Eh, they use all the recipes on the regular between the YL and SmB. Still, no time like the present to stock up!

nivto
07-02-2013, 22:12
Eh, they use all the recipes on the regular between the YL and SmB. Still, no time like the present to stock up!

Well, yea, they do.. .but those are vattings. I'm not saying I don't think the recipes will always be used. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to purchase single barrels of any of the 10 recipes at any given time may not always be available to consumers in the future. Right now it's like the doors at FR are just wide open. The price is right, tons of variety, lots of barrel proof ncf single barrels, and a generally very good to incredible small batch release to look forward to each year. It's just an awesome time to be a Four Roses fan...

hectic1
07-03-2013, 05:30
Well, yea, they do.. .but those are vattings. I'm not saying I don't think the recipes will always be used. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to purchase single barrels of any of the 10 recipes at any given time may not always be available to consumers in the future. Right now it's like the doors at FR are just wide open. The price is right, tons of variety, lots of barrel proof ncf single barrels, and a generally very good to incredible small batch release to look forward to each year. It's just an awesome time to be a Four Roses fan...
You are a master at tea leaves Ryan! :D

P&MLiquorsEric
07-03-2013, 07:12
you wish that more people didnt like 4R? why? so the shelf would be better stocked for you.........or so the 10 options would be cut down to fewer choices?

by the way, ive only seen 3 options of 4R whenever i go to the liquor barn. yellow, small batch and single barrell....thats it

Four Roses has never even hinted at having a shortage. The barrel selection program works well and yields a unique bourbon each and every time. Four roses abv are more consistent than other places because they use single story rickhouses. 6 barrels high is all they are. 125 proof is about the highest you will see from them.

Most retailers select barrels in the spring/summer to have on the shelves for the holiday season. This is the slow time of year for bourbon.

theglobalguy
07-03-2013, 08:01
Kinda toasty on those warehouses this time of year!

So are they just better planners, or is/was their ownership ok with taking inventory risks earlier on?

P&MLiquorsEric
07-03-2013, 10:16
Kinda toasty on those warehouses this time of year!

So are they just better planners, or is/was their ownership ok with taking inventory risks earlier on?

No idea really. They have only been selling bourbon (back) in the states since the early 2000s. They have gradually expanded their footprint. Only offering 3 "everyday" products in the US would make forecasting easier. It would take a significant bottling line upgrade for them to put out much more bourbon.

mbroo5880i
07-07-2013, 16:09
I agree with the idea of trying one of the inexpensive options to get a feel for the brand. Yellow Label or Small Batch (retail version) are a good place to start. You can always step up to Single Barrel or Limited Edition versions, if you like. I started small with the Small Batch (retail version) and enjoy it enough that I will try other selections. I have read several reviews on SB.com and agree with the perspective that Small Batch is light and dangerously drinkable. My next try, based on price, will probably be a Single Barrel (retail version). However, I will try a limited edition or store selected version at some point for comparison.

Jackinbox
07-08-2013, 07:54
I agree with the idea of trying one of the inexpensive options to get a feel for the brand. Yellow Label or Small Batch (retail version) are a good place to start. You can always step up to Single Barrel or Limited Edition versions, if you like. I started small with the Small Batch (retail version) and enjoy it enough that I will try other selections. I have read several reviews on SB.com and agree with the perspective that Small Batch is light and dangerously drinkable. My next try, based on price, will probably be a Single Barrel (retail version). However, I will try a limited edition or store selected version at some point for comparison.If you want to try the regular Single Barrel, Meijer just put it on sale for $29.99. That's the best price I've seen here in Indy since I started buying Bourbon.

Yeti
07-08-2013, 08:28
That's about as low as it gets anywhere.

mbroo5880i
07-08-2013, 11:04
If you want to try the regular Single Barrel, Meijer just put it on sale for $29.99. That's the best price I've seen here in Indy since I started buying Bourbon.

Thanks Jack! Yeah, the best non sale price that I have seen is around $33. My usual retailer charges $36. I might have to make a trip to Meijer this week!