PDA

View Full Version : Blasphemy ...? I am disappointed with my 2011 Van Winkle 12-year-old "Lot B"

Near_Teetotaler
11-09-2012, 11:26
I was so sure I would like it that (what a newbie ...) I latched onto _three_ before I was done, a year ago.

Two are as yet unopened, because as I have been trying and re-trying the first bottle, it has (for me) a tarry undertaste that I dislike. The passage of a few months has not improved it (the bottle is now about 15% used.)

savagehenry
11-09-2012, 11:59
Hey if you don't like it you don't like it. Find a friendly shop and trade the others for something you like.

unclebunk
11-09-2012, 12:04
I was so sure I would like it that (what a newbie ...) I latched onto _three_ before I was done, a year ago.

Two are as yet unopened, because as I have been trying and re-trying the first bottle, it has (for me) a tarry undertaste that I dislike. The passage of a few months has not improved it (the bottle is now about 15% used.)

It's like castor oil, man. Hold your nose and guzzle it. Works for me!:lol:

Near_Teetotaler
11-09-2012, 12:07
>>
trade the others for something you like.
<<

! Huh ! It never even remotely occurred to me that they might consider that, at an ABC store in my state ... but I'll look into it. Thanks for the idea!

Near_Teetotaler
11-09-2012, 12:09
>>
Hold your nose and guzzle it
<<

?? But ... but ... I _love_ castor oil.

Gillman
11-09-2012, 13:18
I bought one in Canada I actually thought was bad, it had a barnyard taste, I think from the cork (bad cork) which seemed unusually blue-veined. I had tastes of others bought here and they were superb, brandy-like and elegant. I think in 20 years of buying VW bourbon, that was the first time it happened, which is a pretty good record because I've bought a lot, not so much now due to the pricing, but in the past.

Had I lived in the States, I might have sent mine to the Van Winkles for their opinion, but it wasn't practical living in Canada, so I used it in blending and got some value that way.

These things do happen (with almost any brand especially where closed with a cork), but I can't say for your bottle, it's possible you just don't like the profile.

Gary

Parkersback
11-09-2012, 13:21
Pour that Lot B into some empty Weller 12 bottles with the price tag showing and it may start to taste better. ;)

Josh
11-09-2012, 13:47
Pour that Lot B into some empty Weller 12 bottles with the price tag showing and it may start to taste better. ;)

As usual, you make an excellent point. I always preferred Weller 12 myself, but it's hard to find outside of Kentucky.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a way to get rid of those Lot Bs (or is that Lots B?)

smokinjoe
11-09-2012, 14:20
I bought one in Canada I actually thought was bad, it had a barnyard taste, I think from the cork (bad cork) which seemed unusually blue-veined. I had tastes of others bought here and they were superb, brandy-like and elegant. I think in 20 years of buying VW bourbon, that was the first time it happened, which is a pretty good record because I've bought a lot, not so much now due to the pricing, but in the past.

Had I lived in the States, I might have sent mine to the Van Winkles for their opinion, but it wasn't practical living in Canada, so I used it in blending and got some value that way.

These things do happen (with almost any brand especially where closed with a cork), but I can't say for your bottle, it's possible you just don't like the profile.

Gary

Gary, maybe you got one of those bottles of Lot B with the Roquefort corks...:D

Gillman
11-09-2012, 16:40
Joe, exactly. Sounds like there were others...?

Gary

Restaurant man
11-10-2012, 09:09
They were good, but the Stilton corks were wayyyyy better

squire
11-23-2012, 23:12
One of the reasons I would like to see them do away with those archaic corks Gary.