PDA

View Full Version : Turkey and...?

steeltownbbq
11-19-2012, 20:17
What bourbon are you having with your Thanksgiving turkey?

I'll be starting the day with a little WT101 in my coffee and the Mrs. will put some of her WR in the sweet potatoes.

My boys will be drinking what ever I've got open and the brother-in-law only drinks CC 12yr.

Special Reserve
11-20-2012, 01:32
CGL WT12 is always ideal for Thanksgiving Day before morning coffee.

hectic1
11-20-2012, 03:09
Thanksgiving is always a turkey day for me. I have some WTRB 1997, RR 10/101, WTR 101 and some WTKS Pewter top ready to go for the day! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away!

wmpevans
11-20-2012, 04:41
I'll be serving a special bourbon to family and friends: SB blend....ahhh....excuse me....SB meld: 1/3 WSR, 1/3 OWA, 1/3 W12: melded for 60 days.

Very nice pour.

Happy Thanksgiving holidays to all SB'ers!!!

Bill.

Tucker
11-20-2012, 05:01
Spending Thanksgiving day with the in-laws. There will be no consumption of alcoholic beverages.:frown:

smokinjoe
11-20-2012, 06:20
Spending Thanksgiving day with the in-laws. There will be no consumption of alcoholic beverages.:frown:

May I refer you you to the thread, "Flask Etiquette--Tips on how to not get caught." ? :D

I'll be purchasing my once per year bottle of Rare Breed for Turkey Day. Or heck, maybe I'll just save the $35, and stick with an equally good, if not better whiskey in Fighting Cock.

callmeox
11-20-2012, 06:39

Take a flask and drink on the public sidewalk.

michaelturtle1
11-20-2012, 06:54
I am considering opening one of my bottles of pappy20 to share with my brother inlaw, last year we polished off a bottle of Lot B, made the dinner go much smoother for us. If i don't open the 20, It will be another Lot B

Ejmharris
11-20-2012, 07:04

Sounds like you need to refer to the appropriate use if a flask thread. :)

EDIT: Dooh didn't read the other posts first. I guess I wasn't as funny as I thought I was.

Ejmharris
11-20-2012, 07:07
I am considering opening one of my bottles of pappy20 to share with my brother inlaw, last year we polished off a bottle of Lot B, made the dinner go much smoother for us. If i don't open the 20, It will be another Lot B

Great whiskey consumed alone = $120

Great whiskey shared with family and friends = priceless.

DaveOfAtl
11-20-2012, 07:12
My brother and I just decided on the lineup to take up to our Thanksgiving family get-together in the North Georgia mountains: CEHT Single Barrel, Larceny, and PHC Cognac Finished.

My favorite holiday of the year. Good food, good bourbon, and good football.

Tony
11-20-2012, 07:57
Will be starting the day with some cider and WT101 then moving onto some WLW during the Lions game.

Best regards, Tony

Lazer
11-20-2012, 09:44
I have one bottle of WT Rye....101! Is this the occasion to open it? we'll see....:drink:

ebo
11-20-2012, 10:29
I'll be at the mother inlaw's, so............. I'll be drinking George Dickel #12 before dinner and WTRB after, while dozing off during a football game.:grin:

I might end the night with a pour from "the dark side" while unwinding from the day..... I'm thinking a little Lagavulin 16 sounds good. :cool:

michaelturtle1
11-20-2012, 15:41
Great whiskey consumed alone = $120

Great whiskey shared with family and friends = priceless.

Most of my bourbon gets consumed by others, but for me getting together and enjoying a pour with friends is the best part of this hobby

darylld911
11-20-2012, 15:47
I bought a pint bottle of WT 101 for Thanksgiving, although I do have about an ounce of WT Rare Breed that I may also polish off. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

HighInTheMtns
11-20-2012, 16:14
The serendipity of looking at my bar and choosing what to pour will probably be the same for me on Thanksgiving as it is on any other day... That said, I have a handful of open Wild Turkeys and it seems likely that I'll pour from at least one of them.

T Comp
11-20-2012, 17:33
The serendipity of looking at my bar and choosing what to pour will probably be the same for me on Thanksgiving as it is on any other day... That said, I have a handful of open Wild Turkeys and it seems likely that I'll pour from at least one of them.

Spoken like a man, speaking for me :grin: .

OscarV
11-20-2012, 18:05
I always open the latest George T Stagg for Thanksgiving.
Well not always, just the last 7 or 8 years.
As I have said before, what better way to celebrate the bountiful harvest than with the bountiful Stagg.

callmeox
11-21-2012, 06:09
We're going to crack a bottle of Southern Belle Shiraz with dinner. It is the Van Winkle barrel aged release.

I'm not a wine guy by any stretch, but it is a great cool weather/hearty meal pairing.

The Boozer
11-21-2012, 10:26
A pour or two of OCPR (care of Josh), couple of bottles of Penfolds Kilimna Bin 28 Shiraz wine with dinner and a little VWFRR rye afterwards to watch a little football.

Everybody have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

scratchline
11-21-2012, 12:12
Traditionally, I've opened a bottle of fine Wild Turkey on Thanksgiving day. But this year I'm thinking of going this route:

fishnbowljoe
11-22-2012, 07:03
Traditionally, I've opened a bottle of fine Wild Turkey on Thanksgiving day. But this year I'm thinking of going this route:

Darn good idea Mike. :bowdown: I believe I will do the same. Thanks and Cheers!

OscarV
11-22-2012, 08:22
That's a nice Eagle Rare ad, I downloaded a copy for me.
Last night I opened up the 2012 George T Stagg and I am very disappointed.
It is hot and thin and spring water didn't help it.
But I am not going to dwell on it or drink much more (today that is) because I don't want to become the like the star subject in Alice Barber Stephens painting "Over-Indulgence--A Spoiled Thanksgiving"
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q798/OscarVH/Overindulgence.jpg

scratchline
11-22-2012, 09:56
Nice one, Oscar. Turned on the football game, cracked the ER, and started the turkey on the rotisserie and it's not yet 1:00. I have a feeling that will be me in that picture (except with a lot less hair) about the time game three rolls around.

Sorry to hear that about the Stagg. Good news is that I was only able to get one bottle this year.

Haven't had an ER open in a LONG time. This is a Lawrenceburg bottle and my first thought on first sip was that this is one of the best whiskies ever put in wide production. May have to put it right up against a WT 8 before the end of the day just because.

Happy Turkey Day, all!

-Mike

p_elliott
11-22-2012, 10:08

The interior department gets just a little upset if you cook up one of their eagles.

Tennessee Dave
11-22-2012, 11:27
A little pre dinner PVW 20. After dinner I am going to crack open a 2012 LE Single Barrel 4 roses and a 2011 WLW.

TomH
11-22-2012, 11:46
The turkey is smoking, the sweet potato dumplings have been cut, and the green beans are simmering. Just cracked open a Wild Turkey Tradition to enjoy while taking a 15 minute break until I have to get busy with the rest of the side dishes (Dressing, Fried Corn, Brussels Sprouts and Chicken and Noodles)

Ejmharris
11-22-2012, 15:40
Turkey and a little MB Roland bourbon barrel aged shine.

RocknRoll
11-22-2012, 17:40
... some WTRB ( WT-03RB ), Willett Family SB 7yr ( Pascale's Liquor Square Handpicked #6525 ), and the current PVW 15

Tony
11-22-2012, 18:10
Ok, plans changed. Ended up going to Dad's for breakfast and then headed home to watch the Lions. Me and a buddy shared 1/2 a bottle of WT101 which was pretty darn good, nothing fancy but enjoyable for a day of football.

Best regards, Tony

T Comp
11-22-2012, 20:05
Before dinner below. After dinner included an impromptu whiskey seminar for interested relatives with small tastes of some of my open bottles including 4 different yeast 4Rs, 3 OWA SBs, 2 Willett SBs, 2 WLWs, PHC '12, Redbreast cask and Aberlour A'bunadh. They were fascinated and loved learning the differences between mashbills and single barrels.

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2012, 06:32
I had a good time with family and friends for Thanksgiving yesterday. After I got home from the festivities, (and after a little impromptu pre-Black Friday shopping on the way home :banghead:) I opened up a bottle of ER 101 and had a couple of healthy pours.

Haven't had an ER open in a LONG time. This is a Lawrenceburg bottle and my first thought on first sip was that this is one of the best whiskies ever put in wide production.

Same here, except my bottle is a Frankfort. Thanks again Mike. The Eagle and The Turkey have landed.:grin:

cas
11-23-2012, 14:02
Finished my last little bit of WT 12 split label before dinner. Been looking forward to that for some time. Now it's gone... sigh.
Craig

HighInTheMtns
11-23-2012, 14:13
I feel your pain; my wife and I each had one of the few remaining pours from a bottle of WT 8 year export. There are still a couple left but when they're gone it won't be a bottle that's easily replaced.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great.