PDA

View Full Version : Hello from WA State

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 16:55
Hi all. New to the bourbon thing. I usually drink Crown, mixed with Coke. Slowly trying new things, haven't had much though. I recently bought a house and it has a full bar. Figured I'd put it to use and slowly start stocking it and be able to enjoy a nice drink at home. Planning to learn and chat with others here and all that jazz.

HighInTheMtns
11-23-2012, 16:59
Welcome!

Maybe try some Evan Williams with Coke in place of Crown, it's a great value and I prefer it to Crown anyway... It'd save a few bucks that can go toward stocking that bar!

What bourbons have you tried? What's your opinion of them?

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 17:03
I honestly haven't had a lot. It's all pretty new to me.

The only bourbon in my stash is Knob Creek. I have some Jack Daniels Single Barrel, but JD isn't a bourbon. I do have some Woodinville Whiskey, which is from a local distillery.

HighInTheMtns
11-23-2012, 17:13
In that case... There are plenty of good lists around of where to start, but I recommend you find yourself a bottle of Weller bourbon. If you get the 107 proof expression, you may want to cut it to a bit lower proof, at least at first.

KC is a good pour IMO, it isn't for everyone but I almost always seem to have a bottle around. Naming conventions aside, Jack Daniel's is essentially a bourbon. Been a good while since I had any JDSB but I would imagine you'll find the KC more to your liking.

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 17:16
I thought JD wasn't a bourbon due to the recipe? and the amount of corn used and bla bla bla? I'm all new to the history and what is and what isn't bourbon.

either way, I'll drink whatever is good to me, haha.

ChainWhip
11-23-2012, 17:17
Welcome from another Washington member - I'm a relative newbie to bourbon as well but I've learned lots here on SB.

BigPenguin
11-23-2012, 17:22
Welcome from another Washington member - I'm a relative newbie to bourbon as well but I've learned lots here on SB.
:cool:

I'm looking forward to learning and getting some suggestions.

HighInTheMtns
11-24-2012, 08:29
I thought JD wasn't a bourbon due to the recipe? and the amount of corn used and bla bla bla? I'm all new to the history and what is and what isn't bourbon.

either way, I'll drink whatever is good to me, haha.
Its mashbill (recipe) meets the standards for bourbon, as does its aging in new charred oak for 4+ years. The Lincoln County Process is the biggest difference between Jack/George and the KSBW producers, but it wouldn't be a disqualifier if JD decided they wanted to call their product bourbon.

"I'll drink whatever is good to me" seems a good mantra... How did that KC and Coke treat you?

BigPenguin
11-24-2012, 10:30
Its mashbill (recipe) meets the standards for bourbon, as does its aging in new charred oak for 4+ years. The Lincoln County Process is the biggest difference between Jack/George and the KSBW producers, but it wouldn't be a disqualifier if JD decided they wanted to call their product bourbon.

"I'll drink whatever is good to me" seems a good mantra... How did that KC and Coke treat you?

The KC and Coke was good. Had 3 of them.

HighInTheMtns
11-24-2012, 16:52
The KC and Coke was good. Had 3 of them.
Cool! Try it without the Coke, maybe with some water, over ice, see how that grabs you... Probably worth trying your Crown on its own too, I find it to be very sipable.

When I first started drinking bourbon, ginger ale was my favorite mixer and I enjoyed my share of whiskey sours too.

LostBottle
11-24-2012, 18:23
Welcome to SB. Looks like new Seattle metro members are coming out of the woodwork today, I like to see that.

BigPenguin
11-25-2012, 08:56
Cool! Try it without the Coke, maybe with some water, over ice, see how that grabs you... Probably worth trying your Crown on its own too, I find it to be very sipable.

When I first started drinking bourbon, ginger ale was my favorite mixer and I enjoyed my share of whiskey sours too.
Do you still add water even if you have ice? I figured the ice would help cut it down once the ice starts to melt.

HighInTheMtns
11-25-2012, 09:43
Matter of preference. KC is 100 proof so if you added 1/5 water and then poured it over ice it'd be the same starting proof as Crown. But of course the melting ice adds more water. Some folks use just water, others just ice... For me, KC and Crown are both very fine whiskeys to sip neat; it's really just that the high proof of neat spirits takes some getting used to when you're accustomed to having them with a mixer.

2highcal
11-25-2012, 10:23
Also being from WA I have been here for a few years now and when I started doing the bourbon thing I started drinking it with 2 cubes of ice then I went down to 1 and finally after about 6 months I started drinking it neat. right now it is very hard to find great bourbons due to the state being out of the business but I order mine most of the time now. The Party source is having a 15 dollar flat rate sale Monday only. I am going to order 9 handles of various bourbons. Such as Very Old Bartons 100 for 24 the new Larceny that I have not seen here for 40. Weller 107 for 40 I buy 1/2 gallons and pour them into 1/5ths when drinking mostly just to save money. I am getting the equivalent of 21 fifths for under 15 dollars each with the flat rate shipping. Good luck and happy drinking.

BigPenguin
11-25-2012, 10:29
Also being from WA I have been here for a few years now and when I started doing the bourbon thing I started drinking it with 2 cubes of ice then I went down to 1 and finally after about 6 months I started drinking it neat. right now it is very hard to find great bourbons due to the state being out of the business but I order mine most of the time now. The Party source is having a 15 dollar flat rate sale Monday only. I am going to order 9 handles of various bourbons. Such as Very Old Bartons 100 for 24 the new Larceny that I have not seen here for 40. Weller 107 for 40 I buy 1/2 gallons and pour them into 1/5ths when drinking mostly just to save money. I am getting the equivalent of 21 fifths for under 15 dollars each with the flat rate shipping. Good luck and happy drinking.

Have you checked out Total Wine in Bellevue yet? I know it's bit of a drive from the north, but they have a big selection of stuff. The taxes is the only thing that sucks about the prices here.

CaptainQ
11-25-2012, 15:41
Good to see another member from the area. Welcome. This is a great site to learn from.

ChainWhip
11-25-2012, 17:40
Have you checked out Total Wine in Bellevue yet? I know it's bit of a drive from the north, but they have a big selection of stuff. The taxes is the only thing that sucks about the prices here.

No Larceny nor any of the VOB's there unfortunately

dementedavenger
11-25-2012, 19:32
Ha! I'm in Seattle and I plan on buying a mixed case from The Party Source tomorrow to take advantage of the flat-rate shipping. I buy 90% of my bourbon online now. Taxes here are a killer for the serious drinker.