PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Louisiana

Cigar Dan
11-23-2012, 17:48
I had always considered to be a scotch drinker, and until a couple of years ago, had not had much in the way of bourbon. However, I attended a conference in Lexington back in 2010, I shared a number of bourbons with an old Kentucky gentleman of my acquaintance (a retired professor from UK). The hotel bar was quite naturally stocked with quite a few bourbons, and I had a number of them. My friend was partial to Maker's Mark.

Since then, I have fallen hard for bourbon. I have found that over time, I reach for one of my bottles of scotch less and less frequently, and will go for a bourbon instead. I have also discovered that I have a fondness for ryes as well. An added bonus is that high end bourbons are still at the same price point as mid-range scotches. I am building a decent collection of bourbons and ryes, which is highlighted by half a dozen different bottles from the BTAC (WLW, GTS, and THH).

My other passions are watching my favorite football teams (the LSU Tigers and the New Orleans Saints), and cooking on my Big Green Egg.

Looking forward to talking about whiskey with some fellow enthusiasts!

ChainWhip
11-23-2012, 19:12
Welcome Dan & Geaux Tigers! I grew up in Louisiana but live in the Seattle area now. Much like you, I started out Scotch heavy and am rounding out my collection and palate with Bourbons, Ryes, & Japanese whiskies.

I'm relatively new to American whiskies but am learning lots and loving the diversity in Whisk(e)yLand.

Cigar Dan
11-24-2012, 05:39
Hi CW. Thanks for the greeting. Good to see a fellow Tiger fan here. You know, a sure sign that a fan base is spoiled is when a team loses a total of 3 games over 2 years, and everyone still feels that the team has underperformed.

My infatuation with bourbon has surprised me. Highland Park 18 is a wonderful whisky, yet I haven't had a pour of that in months. I imagine that the pendulum will swing back at least part-way to the point where my scotches will get back in the picture. They are feeling lonely in the back of the liquor cabinet right now.

Tennessee Dave
11-24-2012, 06:28
Welcome to the gang Dan. Enjoy yourself here.

Ahhirsch16
11-24-2012, 06:35
Hi. I'm new too. How did you create a new thread?

callmeox
11-24-2012, 06:44
Hi. I'm new too. How did you create a new thread?

Welcome,

Click on the "New to Straightbourbon" forum and then the orange "Start new Thread" button.

ChainWhip
11-24-2012, 10:36
I think we're in the golden age for LSU football - some of the fan whining is derived from comparisons to Saban's current team I'd wager.

For whatever reason, I was more into bourbon during the summer but migrated back to Scotch this fall. Since the release of BTAC these past few weeks, I've settled back in at 50/50 I think.

Cigar Dan
11-24-2012, 10:50
Which of the BTACs did you get? I got two each of the Weller and the Stagg. The Handy is usually plentiful around here. I haven't gotten one of those yet, but I certainly will soon. I've never tried either the Saz or the ER.

Trey Manthey
11-24-2012, 11:14
Welcome to the forum! Good to have another person from the area in here. Look me up if you make it to NOLA.

ChainWhip
11-24-2012, 12:58
I got all of them but ended up giving the single bottle of ER17 to my brother (he did get me bottles of WLW '12 & VWFRR).

For the other Fall limited editions, I scored a few bottles of PHC (both batches) & 4RSmB LE 2012.

Oh, lately I've been getting into Tequila as well - Corrido Reposado (single barrel), Anejo, & Extra Anejo, Crotalo Anejo & Extra Anejo, Don Pilar Anejo, Pueblo Viejo Orgullo Anejo, 7 Leguas Anejo...

If I can get a few more bottles of VWFRR, I will spend the cash but I'm done until the Spring (unless I can source a Lagavulin 21 or a PC10). I suppose there's always something else that'll spring up to spend my $$ on...

;-)

Tony
11-24-2012, 14:23
Howdy and welcome from Michigan Dan.

Glad to have you here and would like to learn more about your enjoyment of the Big Green Egg. Been thinking about one for years.

Best regards, Tony

Cigar Dan
11-24-2012, 14:40
Welcome to the forum! Good to have another person from the area in here. Look me up if you make it to NOLA.

I'll be there in 4 weeks with my wife for our Anniversary weekend. Naturally, I'll be catering to her on that trip.

I know that you can't throw a rock in the quarter without hitting a bar, but are any that stand out as good whiskey bars? I don't know if you make it to Baton Rouge much, but if you haven't been there already, make it a point to go to The Cove at Citiplace. It has a ridiculous selection of whiskey and beer.

Cigar Dan
11-24-2012, 14:48
I got all of them but ended up giving the single bottle of ER17 to my brother (he did get me bottles of WLW '12 & VWFRR).

For the other Fall limited editions, I scored a few bottles of PHC (both batches) & 4RSmB LE 2012.

Oh, lately I've been getting into Tequila as well - Corrido Reposado (single barrel), Anejo, & Extra Anejo, Crotalo Anejo & Extra Anejo, Don Pilar Anejo, Pueblo Viejo Orgullo Anejo, 7 Leguas Anejo...

If I can get a few more bottles of VWFRR, I will spend the cash but I'm done until the Spring (unless I can source a Lagavulin 21 or a PC10). I suppose there's always something else that'll spring up to spend my $$ on...

;-)

I've been working at getting the 4R SmB LE 2012, but so far without success. I haven't given up hope yet. I'd love to score a bottle of the most recent PHC too.

I'd like to try some really high end Tequila, but the last thing I need is another liquor obsession. Besides, my cabinet is jam packed at the moment.

Cigar Dan
11-24-2012, 14:54
@aea6574 Thanks Tony. I absolutely love my BGE. I got the large one about 8 years ago, and liked it so much that I got a small one to keep it company several years ago. Rarely a week goes by that I don't cook something on it. It really is hard to ruin food on an egg. :)