PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Seattle

dementedavenger
11-24-2012, 16:58
Hi SB Folks,

I've been a bourbon/whiskey drinker a little more than 20 years (since high school) and serious bourbon drinker about nine years. My "awakening" occurred in 2004 when I was living in NYC and tried Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye for the first time. I was hooked on the good stuff after that and over the years I've had my fair share of excellent bourbon (and horrible bourbon also).

I currently have about 65 bottles of bourbon/rye/whiskey ranging from garbage (Yellowstone, Prestige) to basic (BT, OW107) to craft (Delaware Phoenix, Oola, Stein) to good sourced (High West, Smooth Ambler Old Scout, Willetts) to high-end (PVW23, GTS, Jefferson's 18). I'm a pretty good scavenger and I admit that I do enjoy the hunt (reminds me of when I was a kid collecting baseball cards and comic books; also, I'm in the research business, so I'm sort of wired to collect information). I know I can find it, but I also need to get a good price (ok, sometimes I may pay a little premium). I tend to drink it all neat, with a drop or two of water, or, on the lower-end, mixed with club soda. I'll have a cocktail on occasion and I recently made some infusions for the first time but I'm really all about drinking it with as little fuss as possible.

I hope I can contribute some good insight and such to SB as time goes by.

P.S. - Seattle has some great bars/restaurants with outstanding bourbon/rye/whiskey selections (Canon, Liberty, Bitterroot) and our local distilling scene is putting out some good juice (Woodinville, Oola, Bainbridge Distillers, Golden Distillery). If you're planning a visit to the area feel free to contact me and I'll try to answer any questions or offer some advice on where to go.

ChainWhip
11-24-2012, 17:30
From another Washington resident, welcome to SB DA! I look forward to your contributions as I am sponging up as much whisky data I can find (being somewhat new to whiskies and all).

I absolutely love Canon as its helped me avoid some bottles I would've regretted buying.

LostBottle
11-24-2012, 17:35
From another Seattle member, welcome aboard!

dementedavenger
11-24-2012, 22:23
Hi Guys. I figured there must be some other Seattle folks active here. Any neighborhood secrets worth sharing? :grin:

ChainWhip
11-25-2012, 01:49
I'm over on the Eastside so I head over to Lot.3 often - they do half-shots there so I get to try lots of stuff. Nothing really compares to Canon's list but Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in SnoHo has a very impressive whisky menu as well.

Tennessee Dave
11-25-2012, 06:06
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.

Tony
11-25-2012, 08:06
Howdy and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

BigPenguin
11-25-2012, 10:06
I'm over on the Eastside so I head over to Lot.3 often - they do half-shots there so I get to try lots of stuff. Nothing really compares to Canon's list but Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in SnoHo has a very impressive whisky menu as well.
I was just at Fred's last night. Love that place. I'm usually there for the beer.

Do they have a lot of bourbons too? I always thought they had more of Irish whiskeys and other things. I've never really looked at the list.

2highcal
11-25-2012, 11:27
Welcome your bunker sounds impressive. I responded to BigPenguins Intro also. Look forward to your contribution.

dementedavenger
11-25-2012, 14:59

I don't spend much time over in that neck of the woods but I do want to stop by Clearview Liquors, so knocking a few back at Fred's sounds like a good idea.

CaptainQ
11-25-2012, 16:40
Good to have another member in the area. Welcome aboard.

LostBottle
11-25-2012, 18:00

Canon does have what might be the most amazing whiskey selection in the country, but the prices are out of control for even much of the more mundane stuff (there is even a SB thread about this). Personally, I would head just down the street to Liberty if you want to do some drinking and try some new stuff. It sounds like I will need to check out Fred's. :toast:

dementedavenger
11-25-2012, 20:37
Agreed. Canon is where I go when someone else is paying. Liberty is where I go when it's on my own dime. The best of part about Liberty is that Andrew, the owner, and the bartenders love people who love bourbon. I was in there a few weeks ago and I pretty much got hammered on the samples. Plus, I love that I can drink some old school I.W. Harper in there.

Bitterroot in Ballard is a fairly new foodie BBQ place with an excellent bourbon/rye selection and decent prices (and the foot is very good); and, The Sexton right down the street has a nice selection. I'll also give a shout out to Still Liquor in Melrose Market, which has a surprisingly good selection sometimes (I drank some Vintage 17 there the other night).

LostBottle
12-07-2012, 09:22
I saw your collection over on Reddit, very nice. You should post those photos in the "Show Us Your Stash..." thread - conversation is fun, but photos are better!

dementedavenger
12-08-2012, 11:29
I saw your collection over on Reddit, very nice. You should post those photos in the "Show Us Your Stash..." thread - conversation is fun, but photos are better!

Thanks. I posted it over here.

gburger
01-20-2013, 15:52
Welcome to the group