PDA

View Full Version : What states actually sell W. L. Weller 12 year old

Enoch
11-26-2012, 04:27
I went to TPS this morning to buy my yearly stock of Weller 12 year and they were sold out. Just curious what states actually sell it. I know TX, FL, KY, and TN do. I know SC, NC, and VA do not. What about other states. Thanks,

Parkersback
11-26-2012, 04:48
New York sells it, but I have only seen it One store in all of NYC.

On a slightly off topic note, while in KY I saw 1.75's of it, which blew my mind a bit.

T Comp
11-26-2012, 04:55
Available in Illinois.

Halifax
11-26-2012, 05:26
It is on the NC-ABC special order list for $29.95 per bottle. You have to order it by the case.

Tucker
11-26-2012, 05:46
It's sold in Georgia.

RocknRoll
11-26-2012, 06:24
Haven't found any in the Syracuse area

Crowes
11-26-2012, 06:28
Can anyone confirm if it's sold in Ohio? I would love to get me hands on a bottle, or three.

callmeox
11-26-2012, 06:57
Not on the Ohio list unfortunately.

silverfish
11-26-2012, 07:15
A non-pro search at wine-searcher returned these states:

NY, IL, CA, IN, and MA

I do not see it locally in Western NY but have ordered from
NY sellers on-line.

cowdery
11-26-2012, 07:30
Not only is it sold in Illinois, it is on Binny's 2012 Favorites List (at #10). If it's not sold where you are, check to see if you're somewhere Binny's can ship to.

hectic1
11-26-2012, 07:45
Not only is it sold in Illinois, it is on Binny's 2012 Favorites List (at #10). If it's not sold where you are, check to see if you're somewhere Binny's can ship to. Binny's certainly has upped the prices on this bourbon in the last 2 years...in 2010 it was $22.99, then $24.99, now they're up to $27.99. At $25 and under I would buy this bottle but now at $30 otd there are many other choices that I would make before getting this one!

Josh
11-26-2012, 07:54
It was a steal at $23 but $30 is still a great deal for a 12 y/o wheater of that quality in my book.

Back on topic: Weller 12 is not sold in Michigan. Special Reserve, Antique and all the Van Winkles are though.

Yeti
11-26-2012, 08:00
I've seen OWA here (WV) but not the 12.

David D
11-26-2012, 08:03
Can anyone confirm if it's sold in Ohio? I would love to get me hands on a bottle, or three.

$24.99 from us. We can ship to Ohio if you call it in. Website won't let you, but it is possible.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=630027

Crowes
11-26-2012, 08:18
$24.99 from us. We can ship to Ohio if you call it in. Website won't let you, but it is possible.

Thanks. Unfortunately I am in Michigan, but Ohio is a short drive so I was hoping I could drive down and pick some up.

soad
11-26-2012, 08:22
Haven't found any in the Syracuse area

Was in Watertown, NY last fall, they had a lot of the 1.75, I don't remember the store name, but it is a mile or so east of the interstate on the main drag into town. Not the most up to date info, but you could look into it.

Cigar Dan
11-26-2012, 08:53
It is available in Louisiana.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

White Dog
11-26-2012, 08:57
Not in Wisconsin, although one Milwaukee area retailer will occasionally force in a special order case or two to the shelf.

tanstaafl2
11-26-2012, 09:06

Do other states (Georgia in particular) happen to fall in that group that can be shipped to if the order is called in rather than ordered over the internet? Seems like I have tried by phone in the past and was not able to place an order.

weller_tex
11-26-2012, 09:27

On a slightly off topic note, while in KY I saw 1.75's of it, which blew my mind a bit.
Texas gets screwed six ways to Sunday a lot of the time (I guess mainly due to the state's screwy liquor laws) but fortunately Weller was always big in Texas and I can get Weller 12 1.75 L at multiple local stores everyday for $37.

squire
11-26-2012, 09:30
It's here in Mississippi.

OutlawSW
11-26-2012, 09:46
Thanks. Unfortunately I am in Michigan, but Ohio is a short drive so I was hoping I could drive down and pick some up.

As you know it's not in MI but I do know where some is in northern IN as my wife picked me up 2 bottles this weekend when she went to visit family. If your up for a road trip Pm me and I will let you know where it's at.

boneuphtoner
11-26-2012, 10:01
It is also sold here in Montgomery County, Maryland....although they frequently go out of stock for long stretches of time.

ChainWhip
11-26-2012, 10:37
Available in Washington state as well.

Kalessin
11-26-2012, 11:33
I've only seen it at two places in Massachusetts so far, $37.99 or $32.99, which is in line my finding that mid-shelf mass-market bourbons are about $5 more expensive in this state. I'll probably grab a bottle or two at the store with the lower price, especially if they have a sale coming up soon.

Barclay Beach
11-26-2012, 12:40
Not sold in PA by the LCB.

Crowes
11-26-2012, 12:42
Is there a logical reason why one state can get the Special Reserve and the Antique but not the 12 year?

jeffrey r
11-26-2012, 13:04
Is there a logical reason why one state can get the Special Reserve and the Antique but not the 12 year?

Probably not, but what do I know. I was in Shoppers Vineyard recently, which is a good liquor store here in NJ, and I asked why they didn't carry Weller 12, and they simply said it was not available in their market. I'd imagine they'd carry it if they could, as they carry OWA. In NJ, I have only seen OWA at SV and at local Total Wine outposts, and I've only found the WSR and Weller 12 in NYC. Fortunately, the Weller 12 is $21 around here, which is pretty surprising NYC would have one of the better prices on anything, let alone something scarce.

ebo
11-26-2012, 13:12
I can tell you that if you want anything other than the standard pours, Ohio won't have it. Ohio has to be one of the worst states for anything whisk(e)y.

JLH3
11-26-2012, 13:28
I've never seen it in Arizona, but bought some in Austin during deer season this year.

smokinjoe
11-26-2012, 13:30

For starters, it's 12 years old. We all know what kind of dent the bourbon renaissance has put into aged whiskey. You'd probably see less availability on even the OWA and SR, if not for the dropping of the age statement on them. Fans of the 12 should count themselves lucky that it's available anywhere. I'm pretty sure that the talk on this board 5-6 years ago was that the 12 yr was being discontinued. It certainly has gone through very, very prolonged droughts of availability. Also, up until a couple of years ago it was available in maybe 2-3 states...if that?...Heck, it may have been a Kentucky only product ~2004ish. Honestly speaking, I'm surprised that as many states that carry it have been named. But, I'm doing my part to increase availability for my SB brothers and sisters. I don't much care for it, so I don't buy it. The last bottle I bought, was just because I could, as it had just appeared here in Jawjuh...:D

Crowes
11-26-2012, 13:49
For starters, it's 12 years old. We all know what kind of dent the bourbon renaissance has put into aged whiskey. You'd probably see less availability on even the OWA and SR, if not for the dropping of the age statement on them. Fans of the 12 should count themselves lucky that it's available anywhere. I'm pretty sure that the talk on this board 5-6 years ago was that the 12 yr was being discontinued. It certainly has gone through very, very prolonged droughts of availability. Also, up until a couple of years ago it was available in maybe 2-3 states...if that?...Heck, it may have been a Kentucky only product ~2004ish. Honestly speaking, I'm surprised that as many states that carry it have been named. But, I'm doing my part to increase availability for my SB brothers and sisters. I don't much care for it, so I don't buy it. The last bottle I bought, was just because I could, as it had just appeared here in Jawjuh...:D

That makes sense. I just wish I could try it and see if it's a worthy substitute for 12yr Lot "B", which I absolutely love. Oh well, may be time for a road trip soon to get some.

TheOakMonster
11-26-2012, 13:50
Fortunately, the Weller 12 is $21 around here, which is pretty surprising NYC would have one of the better prices on anything, let alone something scarce.

I'm looking at the NYS wholesale price book and for whatever reason the Weller 12 wholesales for about $5 less than OWA in NY. I can only speculate the distributor has older stock sitting collecting dust because stores aren't buying the product.

BFerguson
11-26-2012, 15:33
Add MN to the list, albeit on a very limited scale, I know of two places that have it currently in the cities.

B

JB64
11-26-2012, 15:37
I have seen it in Springfield, Missouri but not in Kansas City where I live.

fishnbowljoe
11-26-2012, 16:09
Like others have posted, it's available here in Illinois. That being said.....ATTN: THREAD DRIFT! THREAD DRIFT! :grin: Like I have stated before in another thread (threads), I've heard from a couple of different sources that Weller 12 is supposedly becoming a once a year release like the BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings. Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure seems that way. Stocks in my general area tend to dwindle a bit, then just when you think it may disappear, voila!, shelves are somewhat full again. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a word I hate to use, I am assuming that this is a direct result of the BT wheated distillate being used entirely for the Van Winkle bottlings now. Dohhhhh! Ya' reckon? :slappin:

FWIW, I love Weller 12. A 12 year old bourbon that tastes pretty darn good, and is available at under $30 is, or should be a bargain in anyones book. But that's just my opinion. :rolleyes: I also would never use it for the SB blend. It stands alone as a great bourbon in and by itself. I use Weller SR and OWA for my SB blend. Just makes more sense to me.

Kyjd75
11-26-2012, 16:45
Like others have posted, it's available here in Illinois. That being said.....ATTN: THREAD DRIFT! THREAD DRIFT! :grin: Like I have stated before in another thread (threads), I've heard from a couple of different sources that Weller 12 is supposedly becoming a once a year release like the BTAC and Van Winkle bottlings. Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure seems that way. Stocks in my general area tend to dwindle a bit, then just when you think it may disappear, voila!, shelves are somewhat full again. I'm gonna go out on a limb here with a word I hate to use, I am assuming that this is a direct result of the BT wheated distillate being used entirely for the Van Winkle bottlings now. Dohhhhh! Ya' reckon? :slappin:

FWIW, I love Weller 12. A 12 year old bourbon that tastes pretty darn good, and is available at under $30 is, or should be a bargain in anyones book. But that's just my opinion. :rolleyes: I also would never use it for the SB blend. It stands alone as a great bourbon in and by itself. I use Weller SR and OWA for my SB blend. Just makes more sense to me.

I can tell you with some certainty that Weller 12 yr is now a once a year, allocated release (at least in Ky). Spoke with the Republic rep who handles the Weller account in my area and he confirmed this. We won't see Weller again until the fall in Ky.

fishnbowljoe
11-26-2012, 17:29
I can tell you with some certainty that Weller 12 yr is now a once a year, allocated release (at least in Ky). Spoke with the Republic rep who handles the Weller account in my area and he confirmed this. We won't see Weller again until the fall in Ky.

Thanks Kyjd75. It's good to know that my sources might be correct at least once in a while. Even if it's not quite a good thing. :frown:

fishnbowljoe
11-26-2012, 17:43
Binny's certainly has upped the prices on this bourbon in the last 2 years...in 2010 it was $22.99, then $24.99, now they're up to $27.99. At $25 and under I would buy this bottle but now at $30 otd there are many other choices that I would make before getting this one!

By the way Bob, you're wrong. Weller 12 at Binny's was $24.99 from 2008 through 2010. I have the receipts to prove it. :rolleyes: From multiple stores no less. :bigeyes: Maybe you should get your facts straight before you come in here and try to wow us with you extemporaneous bs. :skep: But thanks anyway for your erroneous input. :bowdown: God Bless Enid Strict. :pope:

PTI folks, but I must say this pour of Weller 12 sure does taste good tonight. :yum: Cheers!

Cigar Dan
11-26-2012, 18:29
Sounds like I need to stock up while the getting is good. I'm going shopping tomorrow.

cowdery
11-26-2012, 19:54

There could be. Some control states limit the number of listings so producers have to pick and choose. They can't list as many products as they want to. Some states accomplish the same thing through listing fees. Companies don't want to pay the listing fees on products that don't sell very well. In license states (i.e., not control) it's up to the distributor what they want to carry. They may put limitations on which of a producer's products they'll carry, even if the state doesn't.

Sometimes producers won't make things available in some places because their supplies are limited and so they don't offer those products in states where they don't think they will sell well. Sometimes it's the producer's decision, but more often it's the state or distributor.

David D
11-27-2012, 07:42
Do other states (Georgia in particular) happen to fall in that group that can be shipped to if the order is called in rather than ordered over the internet? Seems like I have tried by phone in the past and was not able to place an order.

Yes, but Georgia isn't one of them. The state says, "No booze."

Crowes
11-27-2012, 08:18
There could be. Some control states limit the number of listings so producers have to pick and choose. They can't list as many products as they want to. Some states accomplish the same thing through listing fees. Companies don't want to pay the listing fees on products that don't sell very well. In license states (i.e., not control) it's up to the distributor what they want to carry. They may put limitations on which of a producer's products they'll carry, even if the state doesn't.

Sometimes producers won't make things available in some places because their supplies are limited and so they don't offer those products in states where they don't think they will sell well. Sometimes it's the producer's decision, but more often it's the state or distributor.

That's goof info, thanks.

tdig
11-27-2012, 11:58
It is also sold here in Montgomery County, Maryland....although they frequently go out of stock for long stretches of time.

For only 18.99 at that...bought 4 bottles last time it was available.

tanstaafl2
11-27-2012, 14:09
Yes, but Georgia isn't one of them. The state says, "No booze."

OK, thanks for the follow up. Didn't realize it was a state thing as I have gotten shipments from at least one SF area store in the past (maybe a year or so ago?).

DUNY, TPS and Astor have been able to send me booze in the (very recent) past. Unfortunately, they just don't always have what you have. Like Hooker's House bourbon for example or things from Old World Spirits.

Perhaps the rules are different between different states. I know the booze laws in Georgia are pretty whacky and largely incomprehensible for mere mortals.

Oh well, never hurts to ask!

cowdery
11-27-2012, 14:28
Some stores don't follow the rules. It makes some sense. The State of Georgia really has no authority over a store in San Francisco. Their rescourse isn't against the store, it's against the customer. Stores that follow the rules anyway do so because they think it's good customer service to not be the cause of a visit from the ABC cops.

MauiSon
11-27-2012, 14:53
Has anyone here ever had such a visit? ;)

tanstaafl2
11-27-2012, 15:08
Not I! And I have had several shipments arrive from London full of delightful delicacies with nary a revenuer in sight!

But I respect the stores right to do as they feel is appropriate. May not like it but I respect it. I place the blame squarely at the feet of the state.

squire
11-27-2012, 15:23
An acquaintance asked my assistance in getting a special brand of champagne to celebrate her 10th wedding anniversary and I found one (surprisingly hard to find, she did pick a special one) from a store that didn't ship to our State. When she explained the circumstances they sent it anyway and even paid the shipping. When travel takes me to that city I always drop by and give them some business.

tarheel
11-27-2012, 18:56
This was one of the bourbons I really wanted to take home from my recent trip to KY, but couldn't find it for a couple days......then they were out at Bourbon's Bistro, and said they didn't expect any more till next year. On my way out of town found it at the last minute at Liquor World. Needless to say, I get the feeling the demand for Weller 12 far outweighs the supply.

BourbonJoe
11-27-2012, 19:41

How about PA if I call it in?
Joe :usflag:

David D
11-27-2012, 22:03
How about PA if I call it in?
Joe :usflag:

Can't ship to any state with state controlled liquor. :(

Cigar Dan
11-28-2012, 11:31
This talk of Weller 12 becoming scarce made me decide to stock up. I spent my lunch today driving to a nearby town and clearing out most of their stock. I bought 6 bottles @ $21.49, and for good measure, bought 3 bottles of 4RSmB (not the LE). Best use of a lunch break I've had in months!

squire
11-28-2012, 15:31
Dan you've got some great liquor stores in your part of the Country.

Cigar Dan
11-28-2012, 17:56
Unlike many states, Louisiana allows liquor to be sold in stores other than a "liquor store". By that, I mean convenience stores, supermarkets, etc. The upside is that you can buy wine, beer, and liquor almost anywhere. The downside is that you don't have these large liquor stores that have incredible variety (like Total Wine in the Southeast, or Specs in Texas). Most of the supermarket prices are ok, but not great. However, I discovered a family-owned supermarket in a town about 20 miles from my house that built a really nice addition that is dedicated to wine, beer, and liquor. Their claim that they have the best prices in the state. From what I've seen, I have to agree. The have a nice selection of scotch, and a decent selection of bourbon. However, what they do have on the shelves is priced right, and is worth a drive over there now and again to stock up.

Here's the link to their web site:
http://acquistapaces.com/departments/spirits-wine-beer/

If you do ever get over there, make sure you go to the meat counter and order a BBQ pork po-boy. It is ridiculous.

squire
11-28-2012, 18:53
Now that's solid information Dan, thanks.

ChainWhip
11-28-2012, 19:44
Thx Dan. I may have to make a trip up the Causeway next time I'm in New Orleans.

Enoch
12-08-2012, 05:13
Now that I know it is sold in GA, does anyone know of a specific store in Augusta that sells it. I hate to drive down there, hit them all and find nothing. Thanks,

MacinJosh
12-10-2012, 13:15
Here in Indiana.

tanstaafl2
12-10-2012, 14:00
Now that I know it is sold in GA, does anyone know of a specific store in Augusta that sells it. I hate to drive down there, hit them all and find nothing. Thanks,

Haven't lived there in years so can't say. Can only speak to Atlanta. I would definitely call first. Augusta is kind of an odd town and they may well not carry it.

SLOandSteady
12-19-2012, 14:22
I've seen it at a few places here in Denver. Priced from $24.99 - $26.00 for 750ml. There is also the 1L that normally goes for $29.99 on sale for $23.99.

bulldawg
12-19-2012, 17:05
What stores in GA? I've looked at Total Wine and Sherlock's with no luck.

wmpevans
12-19-2012, 19:06
Tower on Piedmont has the Weller 12. About $25.

JLH3
12-19-2012, 20:11
Finally found a bottle here in Arizona.

Color: Deep copper/amber
Nose: Marshmallow, caramel & banana
Taste: Butter, cinnamon, spices
Finish: Oak and butterscotch

Very good stuff. Still have to do a head to head w/ my Lot B.

JPBoston
12-19-2012, 22:11
Yeah, we get it in AZ... just not very much of it. $19.99 a bottle makes it an easy buy, while it lasts.

tanstaafl2
12-20-2012, 07:45
Tower on Piedmont has the Weller 12. About $25.

I have seen it at the Tower on Buford Hwy just north of 285 as well although Piedmont tends to have larger stocks and so may have it available more consistently. I think I last paid $22.99.

Also at the Giant in Toco Hills last I was there although I don't go there as often anymore. After the manager I knew pretty well left last year it hasn't been quite the same.

mbates63
12-20-2012, 22:08
Does anyone know if it's sold around the Manhattan, KS area

RT Fan
12-21-2012, 10:16
I have not come across a bottle here in NYC as of yet. Stopped into Astor last week but no luck, I'll have to keep looking. No problem finding OWA, although the bottles with the age statement have all but disappeared.

Smokewagon
12-22-2012, 11:43
I have not come across a bottle here in NYC as of yet. Stopped into Astor last week but no luck, I'll have to keep looking. No problem finding OWA, although the bottles with the age statement have all but disappeared.

Flatirion carries it for sure, and I know a place in the Bronx does too, but i'd have to call to get the name.

~SW

bourbonandbacon
12-22-2012, 14:48
Flatiron definitely carries it. Discovery Wines carries it, 16 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009. Bottlerocket carries it, 5 West 19th Street, New York, NY 10011. Chambers st liquors, 148 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007 BQE wine and liquors, 504 Meeker Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222 and a few places upstate, in the burbs, so you could have it sent as well.

in terms of other states besides NY, winesearcher is showing it to me in: IL, MO, TX, CA, CO, IN, KY, AR, MT, TN, MA, and some terrible markup site in NJ, sells it too

BillP
12-22-2012, 16:07
I've seen it at a few places here in Denver. Priced from $24.99 - $26.00 for 750ml. There is also the 1L that normally goes for $29.99 on sale for $23.99.

That's a good price. My store has for around $30. Where did you find the 1L bottle?

bourbonandbacon
12-23-2012, 08:55
as a follow up, i went into flatiron last night. they had zero bottles on the shelves of the 12. i asked if they had any in back since their website suggests they have some more. they found one bottle of the three supposedly left in the inventory...the great weller shortage of 2012 has begun...

jeffrey r
12-23-2012, 09:05
as a follow up, i went into flatiron last night. they had zero bottles on the shelves of the 12. i asked if they had any in back since their website suggests they have some more. they found one bottle of the three supposedly left in the inventory...the great weller shortage of 2012 has begun...

Warehouse Spirits around 8th and Broadway also has Weller 12. $21, and usually in stock, though not exactly plentiful. As a bonus, Astor is right in the vicinity as well (though they don't have Weller 12).

Smokewagon
12-24-2012, 09:14

Sounds like the person keeping the stock room sorted has a taste for Weller 12.

~SW

squire
12-24-2012, 11:18
I doubt they have trouble keeping tabs on the cheap stuff.

Kalessin
12-25-2012, 10:29
To be fair, it's probably far easier to find the pile of 37 cases of Red Stag than the one mostly empty box of bottles of Weller 12.

RT Fan
12-26-2012, 07:50
Flatiron definitely carries it. Discovery Wines carries it, 16 Avenue B, New York, NY 10009. Bottlerocket carries it, 5 West 19th Street, New York, NY 10011. Chambers st liquors, 148 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007 BQE wine and liquors, 504 Meeker Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11222 and a few places upstate, in the burbs, so you could have it sent as well.

in terms of other states besides NY, winesearcher is showing it to me in: IL, MO, TX, CA, CO, IN, KY, AR, MT, TN, MA, and some terrible markup site in NJ, sells it too

Thanks for the heads up smokewagon & B&B, I can walk to Chambers street liquors form my place!.

Smokewagon
12-27-2012, 10:45
Thanks for the heads up smokewagon & B&B, I can walk to Chambers street liquors form my place!.

I will always be interested in helping folks find anything Weller if I can. Spreading the gospel so to speak...

~SW

squire
12-27-2012, 12:26
There are many who walk in darkness SW, it's our duty to lead them to the light.

SLOandSteady
12-28-2012, 15:02
That's a good price. My store has for around $30. Where did you find the 1L bottle?

I want to say Argonaut, but I can't remember exactly. I've been trying to build my collection rapidly :grin:

BillP
12-28-2012, 15:14
I want to say Argonaut, but I can't remember exactly. I've been trying to build my collection rapidly :grin:

I did get very lucky. I went to my local store and saw they had the 1Ls on sale. Picked up the last two on the shelf.

SFS
12-28-2012, 17:58
I'm in Florida, and I bought a bottle yesterday, leaving 6 bottles behind in the store.