PDA

View Full Version : Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

BourbonMemphis
12-20-2012, 21:58
Who has purchased a bottle? What do you think? I think JD is onto something but it just needs some age. Unaged is intesting - Tequilla on the nose, grainy sweetness in the mouth and neutral spririts/tequilla in the finish - for me. Age it for 3-5 years and bottle at 90-100 proof and I think I will consider buying - price point on unaged is WAY off - $50 when it should be $25-$30...

LostBottle
12-20-2012, 23:54
$50?! Tequila on the nose and finish?! Unaged?! Did I mention $50?!

oke&coke
12-21-2012, 02:48
Did I mention $50?!
I think you did but someone else may want to double check that. I personally would like to try some unaged rye but not $50 interested.

cowdery
12-21-2012, 08:38
It's not supposed to be in stores until next month, though I've heard it's been spotted in Tennessee. I do believe $50 is the suggested retail. I'm most interested to see if they're still classing it as 'neutral spirit,' and what other producers will do with that little anomaly.

They're producing so little of it that they'll probably sell it all to the people who would buy piss for $50 a bottle if the label said 'Jack Daniel's.'

p_elliott
12-21-2012, 09:03
It's not supposed to be in stores until next month, though I've heard it's been spotted in Tennessee. I do believe $50 is the suggested retail. I'm most interested to see if they're still classing it as 'neutral spirit,' and what other producers will do with that little anomaly.

They're producing so little of it that they'll probably sell it all to the people who would buy piss for $50 a bottle if the label said 'Jack Daniel's.'

There are plenty of them Chuck :banghead:

luther.r
12-21-2012, 09:18
Tequilla on the nose, grainy sweetness in the mouth and neutral spririts/tequilla in the finish

This looks just like all my tequila tasting notes. :slappin:

ebo
12-21-2012, 12:29

Yep. It's the greatest whiskey on Earth, ya know. :rolleyes:

I don't hate JD at all, but I sure don't understand the popularity it has. No way I would ever pay $50.00 for unaged whisk(e)y of any kind. I'm a big fan of JDSB, but I have a hard time paying $40.00 for it.

squire
12-21-2012, 17:33
Piss in a bottle, what an appropriate image.

MauiSon
12-21-2012, 19:14
Sounds like someone named Jack is about to be bus-ted!

c2walker
01-07-2013, 22:44
I saw guys in two different stores (in TN) buying this buy the case today (and many other people buying multiple bottles). Store owners were amazed that I was there looking for whiskey, but passed on the JD rye. Some stores I visited had sold out already. Maybe it's the early novelty, but this product seems to be moving.

squire
01-08-2013, 00:25
We've heard the story but it is true . . . I was there, I saw it happen . . . standing in the parking lot at the Jack Daniels distillery I met tourists arriving for their very first visit already wearing the Jack Daniels cap and belt buckle.

tmckenzie
01-08-2013, 04:41
You have got to remember that white lightning is still popular down there. I can just hear folks now, this is Jack Daniels white lightning man, it is got to be good stuff.

shoshani
01-08-2013, 09:07

Yep. It's the greatest whiskey on Earth, ya know. :rolleyes:

Hey, knock it off, you guys. Jack Daniel's is my FAVORITEST bourbon. :lol:

squire
01-08-2013, 09:15
You and several gadzillion others . . . God I wish I had that hat franchise.

tanstaafl2
01-08-2013, 10:04
I tried it last night (A sample bottle from an industry connection, not the retail package) and I was fully prepared to dislike it. I was surprised that I didn't. Is it worth $50? Probably not. But it was quite interesting, even pleasant in a rather unique way and everyone there liked it. A very strong sour dough bready taste and not particularly rough to drink (of course I presume it has been charcoal filtered and the proof is cut with water way down to 40%ABV). A couple of talented bartenders there with us thought it had some real mixing possibilities as well.

MyOldKyDram
01-08-2013, 10:22
I'm not sure I would even try this one on someone else's dime, it's just so offensive.

tanstaafl2
01-08-2013, 10:51
I tried it last night (A sample bottle from an industry connection, not the retail package) and I was fully prepared to dislike it. I was surprised that I didn't. Is it worth $50? Probably not. But it was quite interesting, even pleasant in a rather unique way and everyone there liked it. A very strong sour dough bready taste and not particularly rough to drink (of course I presume it has been charcoal filtered and the proof is cut with water way down to 40%ABV). A couple of talented bartenders there with us thought it had some real mixing possibilities as well.

There is almost nothing I won't try on somebody else's dime! Particularly an oddity like this. Especially since it is often my own dime I am trying them on. Gotta conserve where you can...

:cool:

squire
01-08-2013, 11:10
Of course I would try it for free, my hypocrisy only goes so far.

cowdery
01-08-2013, 14:01
Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

That it's selling like hot cakes should surprise no one. Horse piss in a Jack Daniel's bottle would fly off the shelves too.

tanstaafl2
01-08-2013, 14:37
Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

That it's selling like hot cakes should surprise no one. Horse piss in a Jack Daniel's bottle would fly off the shelves too.

I only saw a sample bottle with a simple printed text label. When it finally arrives here I will be happy to post a picture if no one else has. No idea when that will be though.

smknjoe
01-08-2013, 14:37
You have got to remember that white lightning is still popular down there. I can just hear folks now, this is Jack Daniels white lightning man, it is got to be good stuff.

I find it hard to believe that moonshine is as prevalent as TV portrays it. I never once saw or heard of any shine out where I was (dry county in Ala. and W.Va.) and didn't know anyone that would buy an unknown product when there were commercially produced products available within a relatively short drive (30 min for beer, 1 hour for liquor.) Maybe it's making a comeback though, but I think it really just makes for "good" TV.

...anyway, it's quite amazing how popular Jack Daniels is. I liken it to the Apple phenomenon - good marketing and brand recognition.

squire
01-08-2013, 17:24
Oh I doubt anyone still buys that stuff, vodka's cheaper and the scroungy rednecks are on meth.

MyOldKyDram
01-08-2013, 17:31
It can be found pretty easily around here, actually. Then again maybe it's just the company I keep.

cowdery
01-09-2013, 09:58
If you want a true account of modern moonshining, read Chasing the White Dog, by Max Watman. There are apparently a couple of places where it's still very big, and it's generally not what you think.

VAGentleman
01-09-2013, 10:17
Here in Virginia its readily available. I have a few sources and generally keep a jar full of Apple Pie and Peach (regular corn moonshine with peaches in it) for an occasional drink as well as for novelty for friends and familt.

Oh and the Applie Pie moonshine over vanilla ice cream is amazing

Edit: And I agree with Chuck, Chasing the White Dog is a great read

smknjoe
01-09-2013, 10:31
Must be a thing of the "gentrified" South. Most of the mountain folk I knew of grew "greens" for extra cash. I'll look the book up.

squire
01-09-2013, 23:57
Maybe I need to get out more.

tmckenzie
01-10-2013, 06:07
I come from south Alabama. Monroe county. They busted a still down there last week. I am told it has made a comeback with the economy being bad. It is still pretty popular down there. I still have one cousin I know of still doing it, and last I knew I had one uncle still bringing it in from one pretty good size operation in south Mississippi. Last I bought was in 2004, was good sugar and corn liquor and 28 bucks a gallon. Made in Montgomery county by a sherrifs deputy. He had an eighteen wheeler that would come through and would drop the stuff off in various locations. Generally in the black communities where they still have shot houses. 28 bucks a gallon if I recall and dead on 90 proof. Sealed red gap on gallon plastic jugs. A lot of people look at it as superior to store bought. I know of one local doctor that still will only drink it and buys it in bulk and has it sent off and tested for lead before he will drink it. Last I knew his supplier was in north Florida. I have to say, some of what I have tasted is way better than any white dog off a legal still. But I have had some of what is really popular now, which is flavored and sweetened up. Coconut is a popular flavor. Tastes like suntan lotion.

bad_scientist
01-10-2013, 06:37
My sister used to date a guy whose family had a still in rural Middle Tennessee. It was a pretty darn big one, capable of making too much just for the family to drink. They were big in the local community so I doubt anyone would give them guff for it. We got a tour and had a little party once. Things were going great until his dad actually tried to seduce my cousin. Good times!

squire
01-10-2013, 08:43
This thread seems to be bringing out some colorful family history.

luther.r
01-10-2013, 09:52
There are two documentaries, called Making Moonshine, and Still Making Moonshine, that are pretty entertaining if you can get your hands on them. They follow an old, barely-understandable moonshiner in North Carolina and show him going to the hardware store, buying copper, and making a still from scratch.

mosugoji64
01-10-2013, 10:05
I come from south Alabama. Monroe county. They busted a still down there last week. I am told it has made a comeback with the economy being bad. It is still pretty popular down there. I still have one cousin I know of still doing it, and last I knew I had one uncle still bringing it in from one pretty good size operation in south Mississippi. Last I bought was in 2004, was good sugar and corn liquor and 28 bucks a gallon. Made in Montgomery county by a sherrifs deputy. He had an eighteen wheeler that would come through and would drop the stuff off in various locations. Generally in the black communities where they still have shot houses. 28 bucks a gallon if I recall and dead on 90 proof. Sealed red gap on gallon plastic jugs. A lot of people look at it as superior to store bought. I know of one local doctor that still will only drink it and buys it in bulk and has it sent off and tested for lead before he will drink it. Last I knew his supplier was in north Florida. I have to say, some of what I have tasted is way better than any white dog off a legal still. But I have had some of what is really popular now, which is flavored and sweetened up. Coconut is a popular flavor. Tastes like suntan lotion.

You should try aging some of the local stuff and see how it turns out. Might be a new product line for you!

Restaurant man
01-10-2013, 20:37
[QUOTE=cowdery;317291]Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

Finally got presented in GA today. Product doesnt land till Tuesday though. $50 wholesale :bigeyes: I can get some really old scotch/bourbon for that price. As expected neutral spirit is on the label under the heading (type). That's all I need to know. The word whiskey is no where on the label. So it's a 50$ vodka in a 750 ml bottle. PASS:slappin:

squire
01-10-2013, 20:51
I figure it was intended for the hotel/bar/restaurant trade. They could name their own price for a shot/call drink.

cowdery
01-11-2013, 15:50
[QUOTE=cowdery;317291]Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

Finally got presented in GA today. Product doesnt land till Tuesday though. $50 wholesale :bigeyes: I can get some really old scotch/bourbon for that price. As expected neutral spirit is on the label under the heading (type). That's all I need to know. The word whiskey is no where on the label. So it's a 50$ vodka in a 750 ml bottle. PASS:slappin:

Thanks, but you say they don't have live product yet, so that may just be the old art. I need someone to look at one for me that is actually on sale.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 15:54
[QUOTE=Restaurant man;317857]

Thanks, but you say they don't have live product yet, so that may just be the old art. I need someone to look at one for me that is actually on sale.

If they arrive next week as expected I will go by and take a picture. Whether I get one is still to be determined. But knowing me....

LostBottle
01-11-2013, 20:27
Since this is not a rye whiskey, can we create a new "Garbage Rye" sub-forum to move it to?

HighInTheMtns
01-11-2013, 20:31
But according to Jack Daniel's it is a rye white dog, not a neutral spirit - the only reason it can't be labeled whiskey is because they didn't go through the charade of barreling it for a negligible amount of time.

MyOldKyDram
01-11-2013, 20:35
Well, if they wanted it to be labeled as such I reckon they should have gone through with said charade. I'd wager they don't give a flip one way or the other though, as they'll have no problem moving it.

HighInTheMtns
01-11-2013, 21:16
I think that's true. JD drinkers will buy it up because it says JD no matter what else it says.

cowdery
01-13-2013, 19:09
Subsequent to the announcement about the JD product, and after they made their explanation, I challenged TTB to justify calling it 'neutral spirit' since it doesn't meet the definition of neutral spirit and they confirmed my interpretation (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/10/ttb-says-jack-daniels-unaged-rye-isnt.html). But because their policy prevents them from commenting about specific labeling decisions, we don't know if they required JD to change the label. That's why I'm so interested to see how it's labeled on the actual production bottles.

Restaurant man
01-13-2013, 23:59
Subsequent to the announcement about the JD product, and after they made their explanation, I challenged TTB to justify calling it 'neutral spirit' since it doesn't meet the definition of neutral spirit and they confirmed my interpretation (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/10/ttb-says-jack-daniels-unaged-rye-isnt.html). But because their policy prevents them from commenting about specific labeling decisions, we don't know if they required JD to change the label. That's why I'm so interested to see how it's labeled on the actual production bottles.

I'll do my best to touch base on tues/weds. Maybe someone in Tennessee can hit u before then

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 16:43
JD Rye, aka "The Abomination", has landed in at least some stores in Georgia. Somehow one managed to fall into my shopping basket. A few pics for those interested.

The full presentation. Cost me $49.99 for this one. I decided I was going to try at least one despite the cost since I had been able to try it first and found it a good deal more enjoyable than I had expected to.

Batch #1 described as "Spirits Distilled from Grain"

Right side of bottle with a little blurb indicating that most of it will be aged. "Signed" and dated "Sept 2012". It notes rye is the "lead grain" but does that mean corn or other grains are also part of the mashbill? Or is it a 100% or at least "high" rye mashbill? If that news has been published then I guess I missed it.

Back of the bottle. The left side of the bottle is unadorned.

Front of the neck with a little string "necklace" proudly declaring its origin.

Back of the neck indicating the bottles individual number. No indication of how many bottles were produced.

Well, there it is. Let the fireworks begin!

I do like that, unlike the Dickel Rye which no matter how good it may be is still sourced rye, it appears that JD will eventually have their own aged rye for sale.

MyOldKyDram
01-16-2013, 16:47
Thanks for the pics.

Wonder how much a four year rye from them will cost if this is $50 a pop. Oof.

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 16:50
Thanks for the pics.

Wonder how much a four year rye from them will cost if this is $50 a pop. Oof.

A lot I would guess!!! Maybe even more than a lot...

squire
01-16-2013, 18:27
Well, lead grain certainly implies it's not 100% rye. Now that you have one to drink at leisure how about some more tasting notes.

Gillman
01-16-2013, 20:26
Looks like no mention of neutral spirit, which is all to the good.

Gary

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 21:12
Looks like no mention of neutral spirit, which is all to the good.

Gary

Had a sample (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18993-Jack-Daniels-Unaged-Rye&p=317245&viewfull=1#post317245) of it last week. Much sweeter than the few other rye white dogs I have tried (suggesting at least some corn I would think?) and much smoother than I had expected. A tremendous amount of bready sour dough/rye taste. Only a passing resemblance to the Koval white 100% rye I tried earlier this week. Not much in the way of a finish not that I expected much.

Never had anything quite like it before.

tanstaafl2
01-17-2013, 08:57
Presuming this post on Drink Spirits (http://www.drinkspirits.com/whiskey/jack-daniels-unaged-rye-whiskey-review/) is correct I seem to have found my answer about the mashbill.

"The new Jack Daniel’s Unaged Rye has a considerable amount of rye in it, with a mashbill consisting of 70 percent rye, 18 percent corn and 12 percent malted barley."

cowdery
01-17-2013, 12:05
If you'll permit me, a moment of gloating. I made Jack Daniel's change a label. How cool is that?

steeltownbbq
01-17-2013, 17:11
Chuck - you are da man The Chuck Cowdery Blog (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=9)

(edit: kant spel for crap)

tanstaafl2
01-17-2013, 17:12
If you'll permit me, a moment of gloating. I made Jack Daniel's change a label. How cool is that?

What? No photo credit????

Just kidding! You are of course welcome to use it on your blog in your moment of gloating. :cool:

cowdery
01-17-2013, 17:45
I'm happy to give you one and I apologize for not asking. I was in a gloating haze.

tmckenzie
01-19-2013, 06:50
you can gloat all you want. helps to be crochtety sometimes.

fivedime
01-27-2013, 20:52
Some random thoughts:

I grabbed a bottle up in TN back in December, and yes, as previously posted, with photographic proof, the label has been changed. I believe Mr. Cowdery may be more correct in gloating that he "made the TTB allow JD to change the label" than "made JD change the label." One would have difficulty imagining the folks up in Lynchburg were very happy about labeling anything "grain neutral," especially when flavor-wise it is far from that, and that they had to have been happier being allowed to go with the current label...even if it possibly meant a massive re-printing bill (at $50 per bottle they can afford it LOL). Regardless, I am happy the change was made and kudos to Mr. Cowdery for whatever role he played in that happening!

While no one has released any hard numbers, statements of intent, etc., at least as far as I know, I suspect at least from the language on the label this is intended to be a relatively limited release (hype? income stream while most of the rye is aging? both? none of the above?) and won't be around forever, or perhaps even much longer. In that regard, the $50 price tag is *somewhat* justified. On its own merits, is this a $50 bottle of booze? No. Does the price tag come closer to being justified when you know this might be a narrow window to obtain a sample of this product at this stage in its production life, one that will close before long? Perhaps. Could JD bottle horse piss with their name on it and sell some? Yes...but cartainly not in the quantity they move this and their other higher-priced and limited bottlings. The law of diminishing returns is definitely at work, though.

Among other things I am a fan of unaged, predominantly corn-based whiskeys (that's a polite way of saying moonshine). Yes, I enjoy drinking a well-crafted 'shine, an unfortunately very rare event (and those of you who have proclaimed with surprise how much you've enjoyed Mellow Corn or Dixie Dew are a lot closer to sharing that trait with me than you might like to think). That leads me to two points...first, what makes an enjoyable unaged whiskey is not necessarily the same thing that will lead to an enjoyable aged product. For example BT makes many fine bourbons but their White Dog...while perhaps another example of an interesting window into the process, is not something I'd care to experience ever again. Second, if you feel a need to look at it through this particular lens, JD's unaged white rye is one of the better, perhaps one of the best, *commercial* white whiskeys/white dogs/moonshines I've tasted.

"Turpentine," "kerosene," and "raw tequila" are some common terms you'll hear to describe harsher unaged corn/rye whiskeys. That component is there to a lesser degree in the JD white rye, but it is obvious both that (a) it has been charcoal filtered and a great deal of that flavor component (I'm guessing due to the oils that get stripped out) is gone, but not all, and (b) they will be relying on barrel time to get the rest out.

Aside from the thought that it is a good commercial white whiskey, my two most immediate thoughts on tasting it were that it will likely mellow into a very enjoyable if sweet and mild rye whiskey with aging, and that it is *WAY* too weak at 80 proof. It should have been released at 100 proof or more if the intent were to make something enjoyable on its own merits. As it is, I suspect one intent (aside making money) in releasing this stuff is to offer a comparison to the final product once available, which will almost certainly be offered at 80 proof...unfortunately.

Just because many of us, even those who live in "the right parts of the country," don't know anyone who makes 'shine, or don't have a source, or whatever, does not mean it isn't happening...a lot...still in this day and age. One of the cardinal rules, however, is not to let anyone that you don't trust with your life know you're doing it; it is still a felony with some pretty stiff penalties so letting word get out is doing exactly that...trusting your life, livelihood, and freedom to all who know.

Finally, if I may, a little constructive criticism for some of the more vocal of this site's membership: I'm glad to see some folks here are so open minded (insert rolling eyes smilie here). But then I consider myself more a fan and student of American whiskey than a bourbon connoisseur, so I guess my outlook on these matters is a little different than many of you. Regardless, I appreciate the fantastic source of information this site and its membership offer, what I don't appreciate is the self-righteous scorn heaped on any product that isn't the latest-big-thing-23-year-old-hard-to-find bourbon...it just makes folks look like an ass.

HighInTheMtns
01-27-2013, 22:45
what I don't appreciate is the self-righteous scorn heaped on any product that isn't the latest-big-thing-23-year-old-hard-to-find bourbon...it just makes folks look like an ass.
This is a $50, unaged, 80 proof spirit from what is arguably the most profitable distillery in the world. No one is being self-righteous.

cowdery
01-27-2013, 23:04
It is limited but they plan to keep doing it, so there will probably be more. After all, this is something they can make to demand. The only limitation will be how frequently they want to stop everything down to run a batch of rye. Even the producers who already have an established straight rye business only make rye maybe four or five days a year, a couple in the spring and a couple in the fall. Presumably, Daniel's will run another batch of the rye in the next couple of months, and will adjust according to how well this initial release does. If there's a lot of demand for the unaged product, at $50, you may see more of it and a lower price.

I think they did it for a few reasons. (1) To test the 'white whiskey' waters, (2) To start to build interest in the Jack Daniel's Straight Rye that's coming in a few years, (3) to determine if Jack loyalists want or will accept a Jack Daniel's Straight Rye, and (4) to see if people really will pay $50 for an unaged, 80 proof spirit.

They're all important, but I direct your attention to number 3. Remember Jack Daniel's 1866 Amber Lager? People didn't want it. Remember Black Jack Hard Cola? Ditto. Not everything Jack Daniel's touches turns to gold. Better to find out now how Jack's fans feel about a straight rye, than after you've laid down four or five years worth of production. Sure, they could have just announced it, but putting an actual product on the market generates a lot more awareness.

As for self-righteous scorn, there's plenty of that heaped on the latest-big-thing-23-year-old-hard-to-find bourbon too. Some people here specialize in self-righteous scorn. Since you are new here, fivedime, I direct your attention to the "Ignore" list, which spares you from seeing any post by the persons you place on that list. I use it sparingly, but it has done wonders for my blood pressure.

Gillman
01-28-2013, 09:07
Just from a technical standpoint, I want to say that there is nothing wrong with turpentine and kerosene flavours and in fact bourbon would not be what it is without them. What occurs is, these flavours get transformed with barrel aging into the unique and excellent drink bourbon is - you need those oils and acids to turn into fragrant esters and other compounds. Plus, some of them are not transformed and lend character to the final product.

If you start with too light a spirit, the end result may be too bland. I like Jack Daniels Black Label and SB, and indeed they have improved in recent years (the Green Label tastes more like Black Label used to, if I can put it that way). Still, Jack Daniels is noticeably lighter in palate, less complex, than most bourbon, because it undergoes that charcoal treatment before barreling. That is a good thing for white dog, which generally is not to my taste but I make good use of it in blending, but as was mentioned below, it may make for a light straight rye, maybe too light especially at 80 proof if that will be the bottling proof. We will have to see.

Gary

P.S. Dickel too, while having its own profile, is lighter and less complex than bourbon, IMO.

ThomasH
02-01-2013, 19:10
Saw this in my area today. $48.70 a 750. If it were 90 proof maybe, 100 proof probably, 80 proof, never!

Thomas

cowdery
02-02-2013, 15:13
The fact that they went to the trouble to get it listed in Ohio suggests to me that they intend this to be an ongoing product, not a one-off.

ThomasH
02-07-2013, 18:16
I knew this would show up here. We are getting more and more specialty type products all the time!

Thomas

jburlowski
02-08-2013, 14:03
Appeared locally. $50+ for 80 proof white dog? They're not going to be getting nay of my money.

squire
02-08-2013, 14:15
I wouldn't walk across the street for half the price.

Ejmharris
02-09-2013, 05:18
I wouldn't walk across the street for half the price.

I wouldn't walk across the aisle for that price.

Mike

tanstaafl2
02-09-2013, 06:03
What about across the Gazebo for free? Just a thought!

squire
02-09-2013, 09:05
That I would do . . . and thank the hand that offered it.

p_elliott
02-09-2013, 13:51
That I would do . . . and thank the hand that offered it.

You have to come to the gazebo first squire :grin:

squire
02-09-2013, 14:02
Rats . . . it's always something.

Kalessin
02-13-2013, 13:00
This showed up recently in Massachusetts. $50+ is not inspiring me to pick up a bottle.

WAINWRIGHT
02-13-2013, 16:58
Saw this just today for $44.88 which is a good price from what others have posted,but wait I forgot it's 80 proof unaged rye,no thanks.Cool packaging so I'm sure a lot of people will bite just not me,I can see right through the marketing flair and their whiskey,literally.:grin:

SFS
02-13-2013, 17:19
Saw my first bottle here today, @ $50. Not interested.

VAGentleman
02-14-2013, 12:03
I picked one up. The smell has that white Dog tang to it. The taste is smooth with a little fruit, not much mint at all which is good in my book. A little spice. Easy drinking. Not bad especially for a white dog. Is it worth the $47 I paid for it, probably not, but its decent and a good conversation bottle.

squire
02-15-2013, 10:30
You gotta admire a marketing move that manages to sell less for more.

tmckenzie
02-17-2013, 17:18
Well, was in a store in Rochester today, there she was. Had to do it. 52 bucks. Here is my theory. I took it to the distillery and tasted it side by side with the HH trybox series rye white dog. Very little difference in flavor. I think they just switched rye production to JD when B-F quit making rye for HH. Good white dog, but 52 bucks? But if you got balls enough to sell it for that, more power to you. Store manager aid it was selling too.

Gillman
02-17-2013, 17:47
That's interesting Tom because it suggests relatively little effect from the maple charcoal leaching.

Gary

squire
02-17-2013, 18:13
Tom I should think that cost would be covered by your R&D budget.

T Comp
02-17-2013, 20:23
On sale at a place near me for $39. I can wait till the gazebo :grin:.

tmckenzie
02-18-2013, 05:50
That's interesting Tom because it suggests relatively little effect from the maple charcoal leaching.

Gary
I got to check the bottle to see if it mentions charcoal. If I had to bet, rgardless f what it says, it is not. But I have never had and pre filtered jd white dog.

tmckenzie
02-19-2013, 04:00
the bottle does not claim charcoal was used.

tanstaafl2
02-19-2013, 09:50
It doesn't taste like it has been charcoal filtered to me. I will try to remember to bring it to the GBS affair this weekend and see what the goat and other members think!

cowdery
02-19-2013, 10:04
the bottle does not claim charcoal was used.

It's stated in the press materials and was confirmed by me asking the question.

squire
02-19-2013, 10:12
Chuck does this mean we're getting a taste of what the mellowing process adds to the whisky prior to bottling? I realize the standard JD mashbill is different.

Gillman
02-19-2013, 11:12
By the way I've tasted the pre- and post-filtering white spirit for Jack Daniels Black Label. There is a difference, but it wasn't marked, IMO.

Gary

squire
02-19-2013, 11:14
That's what I've heard Gary but it's not something I've done myself.

VAGentleman
02-19-2013, 12:18
I've tried pre and post Black label also (cut down to 86 proof) and it definitely smooths out some of the roughness. Also a tiny hint of charcoal but just barely noticeable

smokinjoe
02-24-2013, 15:45
Tried some from the bottle that Bruce brought to the GBS meet-up last night. Everything else aside, it' sweet and extremely easy drinking. Outside of the novelty, I probably would not lay down the nearly $50 that it commands here. But, I wouldn't turn down a pour, if offered to me. It does drink well.

tmckenzie
03-02-2013, 05:41
Amazing, talked to a store in Rochester yesterday. They have sold like 50 cases, and there was on bottle on the shelf. And were told there was no more to be had.

cowdery
03-03-2013, 22:22
That's brand magic at work.

squire
03-04-2013, 07:22
The guys in the B-F boardroom are laughing so hard they can't endorse their bonus checks.

HighInTheMtns
03-08-2013, 15:15
I saw this for the first time today, in a Utah state store. $50. Directly next to it was another rye that I've not seen in Utah before - Ritt BIB. $20. That shelving arrangement really lays bare what a ripoff the JD rye is.

squire
03-08-2013, 20:04
I trust you grabbed the Ritt.

HighInTheMtns
03-08-2013, 20:58
I trust you grabbed the Ritt.
Yes indeed I did. And left the JD.

squire
03-09-2013, 09:26
Who knows, you might have done some die hard JD fan a favor.

SWC
03-11-2013, 11:18
With Washington state taxes, close to 65 bucks for a bottle.

My interest went from "would really like to try" to "not even with a gun to my head would I buy that but who cares JD will laugh all the way to the bank."

cowdery
03-11-2013, 18:20
Binny's is smart. They put the Daniel's, at $49.99, right next to the Jacob's Ghost, at $19.99. And unless you're just crazy for rye whiskey white dog, the Jacob's Ghost tastes better too.