PDA

View Full Version : George Dickel

Graal
12-22-2012, 17:47
Howdy everyone,

I think I last posted in October, and since then I have been buying roughly a bottle a week of all different kinds of hooch (discovered that I love gin and HATE scotch) and I had a bit of Jack Daniels at a party and thought it was pretty bland and watery. Since there aren't many Tennessee whiskies on the market, I didn't give much more thought to it until today when I was at my local liquor store and they had discounts on George Dickel. I figured I'd give it a shot (got some #12 for $12 when its usually $20, can't pass that up!) and I've been sipping on it all afternoon. All I can say is WOW! This is the smoothest stuff ever! Prior to this I had been gravitating towards higher proof ryes like Old Grand-dad and WT101, and this is a huge change. It has the subtle flavors and a hint of spice from the rye, but none of the harsh, sharp immediate flavors. I know a lot more about whiskey than I did a few months ago, but I'm still a newbie and would like someone more worldly to tell me a bit more about it. Is this effect because of a special mashbill, or is it the charcoal filtering? I always thought that the charcoal filtering was kind of a gimmick to make Tennesee whiskies something special when really they're just bourbons, but this experience is making me second guess that assumption.

HighInTheMtns
12-22-2012, 17:51
The Dickel mashbill has more corn and less rye compared to the brands you mentioned (and to most bourbons) and I suspect that has more to do with what you're noticing than does the filtering.

steeltownbbq
12-22-2012, 17:53
Dickel 12 is pretty good stuff. Especially at $12.

Graal
12-22-2012, 18:00
The Dickel mashbill has more corn and less rye compared to the brands you mentioned (and to most bourbons) and I suspect that has more to do with what you're noticing than does the filtering.

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a rye, even though after rereading it I could see how it would sound like that. I was just saying that I have been drinking a lot of ryes lately, but I still drink a fair amount of wheaters too as I'm still trying to learn the differences. I know George Dickel makes a rye, but that this is not it. I like the flavor of the rye, but it seems EVERY whiskey I've had so far has had a fairly harsh taste to it that I thought just came with the territory. Some of the scotches I've had were smooth, but I cannot stand that burnt peat taste.:shithappens: I like the flavor of the George Dickel, but mostly its this lack of harshness that I'm interested in. How do they get it to taste so soft? Even the Jack Daniels, which was charcoal filtered, still had a fiery sharpness to it. The Dickel has none, and this is what has me confused.

squire
12-22-2012, 18:06
Graal the main reason for extensive charcoal filtering was to give the whisky a jump start on aging so it matures faster and can be sold at a younger age, say 4-5 years rather than 6-8. Of course since Tennessee Whisky is an established style they continue with the process in order to maintain the flavor profile.

I've always liked Dickel and believe it's under appreciated. At that price I'd grab a few more if they're any left.

ebo
12-22-2012, 18:13
Dickel #12 is always in the house. :grin:

HighInTheMtns
12-22-2012, 18:19
Yeah, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was a rye, even though after rereading it I could see how it would sound like that. I was just saying that I have been drinking a lot of ryes lately, but I still drink a fair amount of wheaters too as I'm still trying to learn the differences. I know George Dickel makes a rye, but that this is not it. I like the flavor of the rye, but it seems EVERY whiskey I've had so far has had a fairly harsh taste to it that I thought just came with the territory. Some of the scotches I've had were smooth, but I cannot stand that burnt peat taste.:shithappens: I like the flavor of the George Dickel, but mostly its this lack of harshness that I'm interested in. How do they get it to taste so soft? Even the Jack Daniels, which was charcoal filtered, still had a fiery sharpness to it. The Dickel has none, and this is what has me confused.
No misunderstanding. GD has more corn and less rye than the two brands you mentioned specifically and also most bourbon brands in general.

Somewhat off topic but it sounds like you have explored only a limited range of Scotch. Most single malts are unpeated, many are very floral and delicate.

Graal
12-22-2012, 18:37
No misunderstanding. GD has more corn and less rye than the two brands you mentioned specifically and also most bourbon brands in general.

Somewhat off topic but it sounds like you have explored only a limited range of Scotch. Most single malts are unpeated, many are very floral and delicate.

I would agree that my experience of scotch is pretty limited. I've only bought JW black label and famous grouse, so those are the only ones I can constantly retry for reference as my tasting skills improve, but I have several fans who consider themselves scotch afficienados who have given me a taste of every scotch under the sun. So far I have not liked any of them. A few were tolerable, but I would not ever choose any of them to have a second time. At this point I feel confidant in saying that I just don't like scotch, even though these so-called "friends" keep telling me that I'm just immature and that scotch has a much broader flavor range than american whiskey. In addition to picking up on the general taste of scotch, I'm also starting to pick up on the general personality of scotch drinkers, which (and this is probably an unfair generalization) seems to be super pretentious and elitist. On the other hand, bourbon drinkers that I have met have been exceptionally warm and friendly people who don't find it strange that you could actually prefer the taste of a cheaper whiskey to a more expensive and rare one.

squire
12-22-2012, 18:56
You missed one attribute of committed Scotch drinkers Graal, if you pour an average blend in an empty single malt bottle and serve it up to them it's surprising how few will notice the difference. And I agree with you, peat tastes like peat tastes like peat like peat.

Graal
12-22-2012, 19:02
but I have several fans who consider themselves scotch afficienados

Oops, meant to say "friends". I have several friends who are scotch afficienados. I have no fans. Maybe my wife... but even she's just a fair weather fan :lol:

cazolman
12-24-2012, 14:52
I used to blame my dislike of Scotch on just peat. I am starting to believe it is also the barley. My Scotch loving friend keeps giving me un-peated samples that still turn my stomach. With no corn, rye or wheat, it just doesn't taste "right".

Lazer
12-24-2012, 15:03
I agree with you. I had my first bottle of GD12 this year and when I finished it, I bought another. I suggest you do the same before you miss out on that $12 deal! I also agree about the scotch. The only scotch I can remember liking was auchentashen and I liked it because I thought it tasted like bourbon. what does that tell you? :cool:

smokinjoe
01-31-2013, 18:13
I've been doing alot of traveling lately. Flying here, and there. Figured I needed a good dose of vitamins to keep me healthy, so I returned to my bottle of Dickel 12. Yessir that vitamin tone is still there, and yessir, I still love that house style! :toast:

squire
01-31-2013, 18:31
Well you know what they say Joe, a dram a day . . .

MyOldKyDram
02-08-2013, 16:23
Never had it, so I picked up a bottle of GD 12 tonight. Bored and wanted something different and cheap.

squire
02-08-2013, 16:26
Real Tennessee and still 90 proof.

MyOldKyDram
02-08-2013, 18:58
This is really tasty, good whiskey. Straight Bit-O-Honey! Sorry it took me until now to try it.

squire
02-08-2013, 20:00
Another unbiased first hand impression.

WAINWRIGHT
02-08-2013, 20:10
I have always enjoyed the #12 as a change of pace and a great value at under $20.I have actually tried all products in the line and feel the 12 is the best,the BS had too much of an over the top vitamin note on the finish and will stick with the 12 from here on out.

black mamba
03-14-2013, 20:50
My friend who works in a liquor store turned me onto Dickel #12. He asks every one of his customers who ask for JD to taste the Dickel, and he has never failed to sell a bottle to all who have tasted.

It is far superior to any other Tennessee whiskey I've tried.

squire
03-15-2013, 06:14
I have always preferred Dickel over Jack, even when Jack was still 90 proof.

wmpevans
03-15-2013, 20:07
+1.

Not even close IMO.

Motomag
03-22-2013, 14:13
Dickel just became available in my state. Need some opinions on which one to get. The No12 or the BS?

squire
03-22-2013, 14:18
The No. 12 is their flagship brand and my choice. If you like 12 enough it may be worth springing more for the Select but I didn't find a dramatic difference. The 10 year old 86 proof dusty is one I would buy on sight.

VAGentleman
03-22-2013, 15:52
Agree. The No.12 is better than the current Barrel Select, and definitley better than the No.8

ebo
03-23-2013, 10:26
Definitely the #12.

Motomag
03-23-2013, 14:45
Thanks for the input guys. I will grab a No12

squire
03-23-2013, 17:29
Let us know what you think when you do.

kaiserhog
04-03-2013, 06:40
I agree with you. I had my first bottle of GD12 this year and when I finished it, I bought another. I suggest you do the same before you miss out on that $12 deal! I also agree about the scotch. The only scotch I can remember liking was auchentashen and I liked it because I thought it tasted like bourbon. what does that tell you? :cool:I agree. George Dickel 12 and Auchentoshan are great whisky. . Auchentoshan is a Lowland Scotch. The only distillery in Scotland that triple distills all their whisky and in pot stills. The distillery has an interesting history, apparently. it was operated by Irish immigrants at one time to produce Irish Whiskey for the Irish immigrants around Glasgow. Today, it exclusively single malt scotch but triple distilled. Back to topic, I used to drink JD but tried GD12 and was blown away. IMHO George Dickel 12 is the best American Whiskey today. Of course, you can't beat the price. GD12 is sippin neat, JD is for mixing with Coca Cola. I also think GD12 is superior to GDBS, although GDBS is a fine sipper as well. It just doesn't have the complexity of the 12.

squire
04-03-2013, 07:45
Dickel is a good all round whisky which I believe is under appreciated.

stiffchainey
04-03-2013, 12:42
I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive.

kaiserhog
04-04-2013, 07:17
I really like the Dickel, but around 45-50€ per bottle, I think it is too expensive. That is terrible. Are all American Whiskies that expensive? Dickel is one of the most reasonably prices whiskies here in the States.

stiffchainey
04-04-2013, 07:43
No. You get usually good deals. Like a bottle of OGD is around 16 €, Evan Williams around 19€. Don't know why Dickel is so expensive. Probably because no one buys it.
Here you can look up the prices: https://www.getraenkewelt-weiser.de/search.php?q=dickel&x=-1120&y=-133

Alden
04-04-2013, 13:28
Never tried it. I don't like Jack at all, so I just naturally figured they were pretty similar.

#12 is now on my list. I have heard good things about their Rye too.

Alden
04-04-2013, 13:30
Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me. Never cared for JW Black all that much for that reason.

There are a lot of very good scotches out there that have little or no peat flavor in them.

AGarrison
04-04-2013, 17:02
Oh, and peated scotch tastes like band-aids to me

YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf.

squire
04-06-2013, 20:39
Peat flavor in scotch whisky (not all of them have it) is just one of those accidents of history that is now done intentionally in order to maintain a flavor profile. No reason why we should have to train ourselves to like it through.

TheNovaMan
04-07-2013, 02:21
YES! I'm so glad to see someone else say that too. I hear about the smoky taste, but all i get is band-aids. My buddies tell me to just give it time and I'll develop the palate for peated whisky. Till then that bottle of Laphroaig scotch will just sit on my shelf. I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.

Alden
04-07-2013, 03:56
I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.

I'm with you. I much prefer bourbon now, but there are some I still enjoy, like J&B and Balvenie, and a couple of others, once in a while. I have to be in the mood. Same with gin.

With bourbon, or rye, it doesn't matter, it's always good.

ebo
04-07-2013, 06:35
I tried for probably a couple years to like scotch, and I had myself fooled for a while, but then I was honest with myself: bourbon is infinitely better. I'll never go back.

That should read.... "I like bourbon infinitely better."

"Better" is a very subjective term. I would guess there are many whisk(e)y fans that feel the opposite way you do. Just sayin'. :cool:

squire
04-07-2013, 08:03
Some of my best friends drink peatey scotch but I respect them anyway.

Alden
04-07-2013, 08:22
Some of my best friends drink peatey scotch but I respect them anyway.

Some people love chewing on band aids too.

Let them, I always say, let them.

TheNovaMan
04-07-2013, 17:14
I have friends on this very board who love heavily peated scotch... which is one of the reasons I have to bag on scotch every now and then! ;)

Alden
04-09-2013, 12:52
Planning to pick up a bottle of the #12 this evening.

Will post some brief notes of my first impression of it, if I have time.

black mamba
04-10-2013, 16:54
I like Bourbon, rye, Irish, Scotch (both heavily peated and otherwise), Cognac, Armagnac and aņejo tequila.
I guess . . . if it's brown, I'm down!

My palate seems to go through phases. Sometimes I don't drink Scotch for months at a time, but when it sounds good, it usually tastes good. I rarely go more than 3-4 days without Bourbon, the others are all less consistent. I think variety is important to keep from getting stale or burned out.

AGarrison
04-13-2013, 15:13
picked up some George Dickel Barrel Select today for $36, pretty much exactly the same price as JD single barrel. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up. I liked Dickel #8, so I have high expectations for the barrel select.

Alden
04-13-2013, 15:27
I had both the #12 and the rye the other night and I think they are both fantastic, especially considering what I paid for them.

The bourbon is softer and has more subtle flavors than the rye, which is more "in your face" but I like them equally well.

Old Dusty
06-01-2013, 17:47
This is really tasty, good whiskey. Straight Bit-O-Honey! Sorry it took me until now to try it.

Just taking my first sip of this tonight and the Bit O' Honey description is spot on. Great sipper for a changup from the "regulars"

AGarrison
06-02-2013, 17:16
Just now polishing off the George Dickel Barrel Select I bought about a month ago. I really think it got better the longer the bottle was open.

smokinjoe
06-25-2013, 19:05

Great call on the Bit-O-Honey! Hitting on the #12 tonight, and while the vitamin is still there, the B-O-H note you detected is definitely there. Nice sweet note to this whiskey.
:toast:

tmckenzie
06-26-2013, 02:51
I read the whiskey advocate article on dickel this weekend. So since they are hand operated still, which makes a big difference in how the whiskey tastes, I tasted from current day dickel white, all the way back through samples from the sixties. Amazing how they have kept the flavor dead on all these years. You cannot say that about any other distillery I know of.

squire
06-26-2013, 07:24
That's a remarkable first hand account Tom, thanks for posting.

mbroo5880i
06-26-2013, 10:17
Just curious. Does anyone know the age of Dickel No. 12? I think that it is clear that the number 12 does not relate to age. However, I have seen a few bloggers/reviewers state it as such. The most credible number seems to be something over 4 years but less than 10 years.

callmeox
06-26-2013, 10:26
That guess is as good as any. If the contents was indeed 12 years old they would proudly proclaim the fact.

squire
06-26-2013, 11:20
Years ago I asked David Backus and he said the No. 12 was aged 7-8 years on average but could have some older whisky as well.

I recall back in the 70s the No. 12 had a 5 year age statement on the back label.

cowdery
06-28-2013, 15:39
Backus told me the same thing.

Speaking of Dickel, did they discontinue the red label 3-year-old that they introduced during the Great Dickel Drought? I noticed some recent group ads that feature No. 8, No. 12, and single barrel only.

smokinjoe
06-28-2013, 15:50
Backus told me the same thing.

Speaking of Dickel, did they discontinue the red label 3-year-old that they introduced during the Great Dickel Drought? I noticed some recent group ads that feature No. 8, No. 12, and single barrel only.

A Diageo Whikey Ambassador ( or something like that) that I saw at an Irish tasting said that they did discontinue it.

squire
06-28-2013, 15:52
Now it will be offered as 'rare' and 'collectable' because it's no longer available.

TunnelTiger
06-29-2013, 07:52
Been to their distillery a couple of times. It's worth the tour, small, almost a craft type. they don't distill the rye, it comes from IN

squire
06-29-2013, 08:15
It is a neat place to tour, if I ever get back there I plan to cast my flyrod on Cascade Creek.

RTR15
07-01-2013, 08:59
This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.

squire
07-01-2013, 09:33
Hey RT, welcome aboard. 106 proof gets my attention, some tasting notes please.

mbroo5880i
07-01-2013, 12:30
Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.

ChainWhip
07-01-2013, 12:41
Yes, RTR, welcome to the forum! Wow, the Hand Selected Barrel sounds pretty interesting. Let us know how you like it.

+1

Welcome to the board! I am very interested in your take on that expression.

RTR15
07-01-2013, 15:33
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I've actually been reading this board for a few years. I finally decided to join in on the fun. I got home this afternoon and picked up my bottle of George Dickel Hand Selected Barrel. This is like I said from the first barrel and only sold at the distillery, after you pick your bottle out you get to sign the barrel. Comes in the Barrel Select bottle with different labels of course stating the lines name, that it is aged 14 yrs, and bottled at 106 proof and a bronze medallion.

Nose - Not overly alcoholic for the proof, I got lots of vanilla, some maple syrup, and oaky... Corn is gone.

Taste - Starts really light picks up fast though with lots of Oak, some apricot, I detect a little cinnamon as it warms, the oak stays with it then as it is fading out it's all butterscotch, and vanilla. Very smooth.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first pour of this. It's expensive though so I'm going to try to take my time and savor this. I've been waiting and hoping Dickel would release something like this. Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

RTR15
07-02-2013, 19:45
After sitting back and having a generous pour tonight of this. I feel like I know this one better. Still light at entry, mid it will give sides of your tongue a bit of a burn, smooth going down with very little burn at all. Flavors still that stand out to me vanilla, lots of oak, then butterscotch. This is damn good whisky. It's currently $98 a bottle wish it were cheaper I'd drink this over #12 any day.

ChainWhip
07-02-2013, 20:45
Thx RTR15 - I'm hoping to make it down there one of these days to score my own bottle.

MyOldKyDram
07-02-2013, 20:48
Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow

Tucker
07-03-2013, 06:02
Damn if I don't want that hand selected 14 yo bottle.

*Mapquests Lexington KY to Cascade Hollow

Thinking the same thing (different route, though).

smokinjoe
07-03-2013, 12:05
This is my first post here. So it should go here since I've been a #12 fan for years as my go to. I went to the distillery in Cascade Hollow this weekend. I also picked up a bottle of Barrel Select, and two bottles from there first barrel of the "Hand Selected Barrel" line. It's 106 proof aged 14 years. It's pricey. I'm going to open one later this week.

Thanks for the intel, RTR. She doesn't know this yet, but my good customer in Nashville will be seeing me very soon...:D There is supposed to be a 9 yr 103 proof coming, too. Did you see or hear anything about that one?
:toast:

RTR15
07-03-2013, 12:50
Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.

RTR15
07-03-2013, 12:50
1st barrel lasted 2 1/2 weeks...

RTR15
07-03-2013, 13:01
1592515926 Hoping the pics of the 14yo show up.

squire
07-03-2013, 13:34
Now how close does this one come to answering the . . . 'what they should be doing' . . . threads.

smokinjoe
07-03-2013, 14:17
Wow, I just called and the first barrel is sold out! Was told a 2nd barrel of 14 yr old will be in the general store soon. Also, was told due to the size of the store there at Dickel they won't be carrying the 9 yr old and 14 yr old at the same time and probably will not resort to the 9yo til they run out of the (limited) qty of 14yo barrels. They said stores are able to buy the 9yo though. Glad I bought two bottles of the 14yo.

Please keep me posted, so I know when to reschedule my call on my Nashville customer...:D

mbroo5880i
07-03-2013, 18:15
I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!

sutton
07-03-2013, 18:38
I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!

The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.

squire
07-04-2013, 04:35
Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.

mbroo5880i
07-07-2013, 17:16
The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.

Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.

Right you are gentlemen! I went out and grabbed a bottle based on your recommendations. I will be honest. My first impression was "oh well, its ok but nothing special." But, like a good SBer, I have learned to give things time and multiple tries. My second pour was very good. I did do something a little different. I split off some into a smaller bottle and placed in the freezer all day. I really enjoyed it.

While not a true bourbon, it has some mellow bourbon qualities. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am not very good at tasting notes but I definitely noted butterscotch and toffee followed by a nutty finish. Really different.

Thanks for the recommendation!

T Comp
07-08-2013, 21:03

Always have one open. Not a frequent pour, bottle will usually last me a year or so, but every so often I just gotta have me a a taste of Dickel... as it is a classic.

As to the $98 Hand Select...I guess it's in line since it's missing the e :rolleyes:.

Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?

TunnelTiger
07-09-2013, 03:38
I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.

squire
07-09-2013, 07:08
Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?

Maybe that's a good thing.

kaiserhog
07-09-2013, 20:06
I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.

I sip GD12 neat much too good to mix. I mix Ole No. 7.

kaiserhog
07-09-2013, 20:12
I believe you are 100% correct on this Squire. Let Dickel continue to produce barrels for Johnny Walker and produce fine Tennessee Sippin Whisky for us in the know.

I recently toured the Cascade Hollow Distillery, I was most impressed. It is like going back to the 50's. It is not overly processed at all. I hope it remains that way.

Paddy
08-17-2013, 07:57

This is a great discussion that brings back many wonderful memories. I was born and raised in TN and we were fortunate to be in on, what at that time, was this little secret (while the rest of the world was drinking JD):slappin:.

Paddy
08-17-2013, 08:04
A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.

kaiserhog
09-17-2013, 16:15
A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.Dickel 12 is fine whiskey.

Trey Manthey
11-03-2013, 05:48
In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.

squire
11-03-2013, 06:38
To call Diageo a heavyweight is an understatement.

kaiserhog
11-04-2013, 15:32
In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.
The barrel select program does smack of style over substance but the George Dickel distillery is a national treasure. It is like going back in time. This is "craft" whisky in the most positive sense of the word.

I know they are owned by a multinational corporation but I think Diageo leaves them alone. They produce barrels for Johnnie Walker, Glenkinchie etc. They produce great and I mean great everyday whiskey at an even better everyday price. Dickel 12 is my favorite whiskey.

squire
11-04-2013, 16:12
Dickel No. 12 is a good one and under appreciated.

kaiserhog
11-04-2013, 19:13
Dickel No. 12 is a good one and under appreciated.
Of course it should get it's due, but being somewhat obscure does have benefits for it's customers.

squire
11-04-2013, 19:18
You're right about that, God help us if the trendsetters ever get the idea Dickel is rare and hard to obtain.

VAGentleman
11-04-2013, 19:28
In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics. . Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.

HighHorse
11-04-2013, 20:08
Dickel Master Distiller to visit The Porch tomorrow and we plan to start the ball rolling for some private barrel picks in the future. (Probably early April) Those of you who enjoy Dickel have any suggestions to offer? Would love the input. Post here or PM. Thanks

squire
11-04-2013, 20:58
Ask him if all their whisky is aged in single story warehouses.

cowdery
11-05-2013, 15:31
I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.

kaiserhog
11-05-2013, 15:43
I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.At the same time imho they turn out a better product than their competitor down the road. I recent toured the distillery it is definitely not overly processed.

I am glad they are owned by Diageo, this probably somewhat insulates Dickel from the pressure to over perform in the market.

MrAtomic
11-05-2013, 15:47
Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.

I agree. I'm not typically one to cheer for Diageo, but I'd be very happy if they manage to get retailer selections of Dickel Barrel Select 9 and 14 into a lot of local stores. I'd buy either one over plenty of other whiskies in their respective price ranges.

And I have to respectfully disagree that the Dickel 9 and 14 don't have any outstanding characteristics. To me, their most significant traits are smoothness, a great balance between sweetness and barrel influence, and (with a little air) a small, pleasant amount of the gravelly/Flintstones vitamin flavor present in most Dickels I've tried. Yes, that makes them easy to drink but to me, that's not the same as lacking character. Their character is drinkability without dullness -- a term I'd also use to describe pours like Weller 12, FRSmB, or Johnnie Walker Black without intending it as a slight.

kaiserhog
11-05-2013, 15:47
Ask him if all their whisky is aged in single story warehouses. I toured the distillery this summer and the warehouse did not seem to be single story. They did have stack the barrels on racks. Still, ask the question.

squire
11-05-2013, 16:31
How many stories was that warehouse kaiser?

MyOldKyDram
11-05-2013, 16:34
Would very much like to get down to Cascade Hollow one of these days. Think ill make a point of it next year.

VAGentleman
11-05-2013, 19:10
How many stories was that warehouse kaiser? I've toured the distillery a couple of times and they are one story rickhouses

squire
11-05-2013, 19:19
I got that from a conversation with Dave Backus about 25 years ago but didn't know if it was still in practice. If Diageo decides to promote the uniqueness of the brand I think Scottish style aging houses would be an interesting angle.

kaiserhog
11-05-2013, 20:11
How many stories was that warehouse kaiser?There was only one story.

kaiserhog
11-05-2013, 20:16
I got that from a conversation with Dave Backus about 25 years ago but didn't know if it was still in practice. If Diageo decides to promote the uniqueness of the brand I think Scottish style aging houses would be an interesting angle.Would square very nicely with their spelling of Whisky.

smokinjoe
11-06-2013, 00:11
Possible brand extension promoting George Dickel's brother, Glen Dickel...??? Ba da bom, pssssssshhh...:falling:

kaiserhog
11-06-2013, 05:02
Would square very nicely with their spelling of Whisky.As they say in the Guinness commercial: Brilliant!!!

HighHorse
11-06-2013, 09:07
According to the Brand Ambassador we met with last night .. they are one story, stone .. barrels stacked 6 high in the warehouses. He insists they are all stone .. while the web site FAQ says metal clad. Perhaps that's metal roof.

HighHorse
11-06-2013, 09:09
Would square very nicely with their spelling of Whisky.

And they could drop another "e" .. Gorg Dickl .. for the Scottish approach
:rolleyes: ..

squire
11-06-2013, 09:44
I remember the warehouse being stone and thought the barrels were stacked five high but no recollection of the roof. Slate would be nice.

kaiserhog
11-07-2013, 17:36
I remember the warehouse being stone and thought the barrels were stacked five high but no recollection of the roof. Slate would be nice.I honestly don't remember (only 4 months ago, getting old). The distillery is in the most gorgeous setting you will find anywhere. The distillery itself is a time capsule.

393foureyedfox
11-12-2013, 17:10
I approached this backwards. I had never had any TN whiskey at all, as it is all sub 100 proof. When I saw the 9/103 Dickel, I debated and debated (I find that I really enjoy things that are 6-9 years old and over 100 proof, so everything I see in that category, I make a point to try) and eventually walked out with it. I like it very well, but the lingering aftertaste is it's greatest asset to me. Now, I have to try the Dickel 12 and see for myself what that's like.

MyOldKyDram
11-12-2013, 17:13
Glad you liked that one. I think it's pretty fantastic stuff.

TunnelTiger
12-07-2013, 12:53
Any of you Atl members seeing the GD9 or 14 on the shelves yet? When ask about it with my dealers all I get is a dumb look.

VAGentleman
12-07-2013, 13:08
They are barrel picks, so your dealer will have to purchase an entire barrel to get it.

Tucker
12-07-2013, 13:50
Any of you Atl members seeing the GD9 or 14 on the shelves yet? When ask about it with my dealers all I get is a dumb look.

I haven't, but here's a lead...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20900-What-Bourbon-Did-You-Purchase-Today-Fall-2013&p=384617&viewfull=1#post384617

Eskwar
12-12-2013, 20:46
The GD 9 & 14 both appeared at my NoTex store this week, on a nice barrel head display. The manager mentioned it to me almost as an afterthought, after highlighting the arrival of more PHC PoH, and possible arrival of more Stagg Jr. I took a GD 9 home, opened it, had three pours, and was surprised at how different it is from anything else I've had: smooth for the proof, but with a very noticeable aftertaste--I believe someone described it as sort of gravelly or mineral-y, and that matches what I found last night. Definitely distinctive, though not a bottle I'll likely buy another of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

393foureyedfox
12-12-2013, 21:34
The GD 9 ........ not a bottle I'll likely buy another of.

more for me............

bourbonfoot
12-13-2013, 13:36
I was lucky enough to procure a bottle of the 14 yr through a friend traveling. Can't wait to try it when he gets back. Heard nothing but good things.

suntour
12-18-2013, 20:47
I have seen a lot of posts about Dickel lately and it is on sale in Oregon this month so I brought a bottle home with me.

Not liking the first pour out of the bottle. Not liking it at all. I don't get "flintstones" out of it as much as straight-up multivitamin. Hope it will grow on me.

393foureyedfox
12-18-2013, 21:26
I have seen a lot of posts about Dickel lately and it is on sale in Oregon this month so I brought a bottle home with me.

Not liking the first pour out of the bottle. Not liking it at all. I don't get "flintstones" out of it as much as straight-up multivitamin. Hope it will grow on me.

which one did you get......they have at least 6 different bottlings. the 9 year/103 proof is quite good, but the Dickel 12 is similar, just lacking in proof. I havent had the Dickl 8 or the barrel select, and the 14 year is a bit more than I want to spend.

suntour
12-18-2013, 22:03
George 12. I like it better now that I'm not having it side-by-side with other things, I will say. I get more than just pure multivitamin this time around.

mbroo5880i
12-19-2013, 05:20
George 12. I like it better now that I'm not having it side-by-side with other things, I will say. I get more than just pure multivitamin this time around.

That is what I found. There are other options in the same price range that I prefer.

393foureyedfox
12-19-2013, 05:47
i think the 'vitamin' taste that people talk about (i dont get the whole 'vitamins' thing) is a good taste the Dickel has. It sure is unique, and clearly sets itself apart from bourbon, but I like it.

Like you though, the first fet sips I was unsure about. A few drinks into the bottle and now I love that profile.

wmpevans
12-19-2013, 07:18
I love Dickel. The first brown whiskey I came to love. I have a bottle of the 9 year which I like very much. Anyone had the 14 yr? I've heard good reports on some of the private barrelings.

luther.r
12-19-2013, 09:14
I love Dickel. The first brown whiskey I came to love. I have a bottle of the 9 year which I like very much. Anyone had the 14 yr? I've heard good reports on some of the private barrelings.

I got bottles of the Liquor Barn 9 and 14 yr., and I thought the 14 was significantly better and worth the extra $20. I bought 3 more.

393foureyedfox
12-19-2013, 09:17
i LOVE the 9 year, but I just cant get myself to drop $70 for the 14......

MyOldKyDram
12-19-2013, 09:29
The 9 is far better than the 14 anyhow, IMO.

VAGentleman
12-19-2013, 10:11
If you like more oaky bourbons the 14 will be great to your palate. That great Dickel flavor with a ton of oak. The 9 year is closer to the regular Dickel 12 with more depth and oomph

jeffrey r
12-19-2013, 10:54
I have access to the 14 yr in NJ at $70, and bought one. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away by my first taste. I haven't been able to go back to it again, but will surely do so in the next couple of weeks, as I think some airtime will do it good. Stores in NYC that had the 14 yr, like Park Avenue Liquors, sold out quickly at $90 a bottle. I believe my store in NJ is also getting in the 9 yr--looking forward to trying that as well.

393foureyedfox
12-19-2013, 21:44
The 9 year is closer to the regular Dickel 12 with more depth and oomph

exactly....a good description there. I give D12 a B, and the 9 year an easy A. I think I may even like the 9 year a hair more than the KCSB I love so much. Love the fullness and richness of the KCSB, but love the 'vitamin' aftertaste of the Dickel 9 year maybe a bit more. If Dickel released a 110 proofer, I dont think Id ever buy anything else again.

petrel800
12-20-2013, 09:59

I ran into some, but it was well outside of the city and only 1 bottle.

B.B. Babington
12-21-2013, 17:41
...If Dickel released a 110 proofer,..The 14 yo is 106 proof, which is getting there. It's pretty good. Wood flavor comes through. Some bite from more than proof, but some days, that's a good thing. I'm glad more and more offerings of aged material is coming around.

HP12
12-21-2013, 18:46
I recently had a nice sized sample of the Dickel 14yo. and prior to that bought 2 bottles blind after good reviews and recommendations from friends. Although good, it's not in my wheelhouse but seems to be for others. Not sure my two bottles will get any love from me. :confused::confused:

squire
12-23-2013, 07:20
On another post new member oknazevad mentioned a new introduction so I looked it up. George Dickel White Corn Whisky Foundation No. 1 Recipe will be available nationwide in Jan., 2014.

According to Master Distiller John Lunn, this expression will use the original Dickel mashbill (same one they've always used but not everybody knows that), go through the filtering process and be barreled at 91 proof (hear that Fox?) for nationwide release at a suggested retail of $21.99 a bottle.

squire
12-23-2013, 07:45
Here's a picture:

http://www.ballerstatus.com/2013/12/19/george-dickel-introduces-dickel-white-1-corn-whiskey/

MyOldKyDram
12-23-2013, 07:49
The thought of squire leisurely perusing Baller Status gives me a good chuckle.

squire
12-23-2013, 07:53
Life's full of surprises, eh?

MyOldKyDram
12-23-2013, 08:09
The mods should change your subnic to Ball So Hard U.

393foureyedfox
12-23-2013, 20:51
According to Master Distiller John Lunn, this expression will use the original Dickel mashbill (same one they've always used but not everybody knows that), go through the filtering process and be barreled at 91 proof (hear that Fox?) for nationwide release at a suggested retail of $21.99 a bottle.

What a deal:bs:! Same basic proof but a buck more than D12, with no aging. Gee, how many can I get?

Soon, these distilleries are just gonna sell you a bottle with some grain and yeast in it. just add water, heat, and wait!

TunnelTiger
12-24-2013, 07:00
Soon, these distilleries are just gonna sell you a bottle with some grain and yeast in it. just add water, heat, and wait![/QUOTE]

Please do not give BT or WT any ideas! They are destructive enough on their own.

kaiserhog
12-24-2013, 17:20
Wonder if all this unaged whiskey is being pushed to keep up with demand for whiskey aged or not?

393foureyedfox
12-24-2013, 20:15
Wonder if all this unaged whiskey is being pushed to keep up with demand for whiskey aged or not?

just jumping on the bandwagon.

I dont care if someone wants to sell a white unaged product........but if you are going to skip half of the steps of making something, don't think you can charge me MORE for that product

squire
12-24-2013, 21:39
But, but Fox, man, they raised the proof.

393foureyedfox
12-24-2013, 21:55
91 proof may be 'acceptable' by my tastes, but doesnt make my #&$^ hard.........

squire
12-24-2013, 21:59
Oh dear . . . you do have a point though, it's incongruous why new made whisky should cost more than one that has been aged for 5-8 years.

onemorepour
12-24-2013, 22:52
Not only does it not make sense, its just offensive, ok I get it, you only want my money but can you atleast pretend you like me, geez even a whore will do this, or so I have been told.

ebo
12-25-2013, 12:15
More money for white whiskey........................:lol: I'll pass.

squire
12-25-2013, 12:29
Arguably it costs more to make today than 7-8 years ago, but I'm still disinclined to pay more for less.

B.B. Babington
12-25-2013, 19:45
Not the first white dog to cost more than aged, especially if it's just a short time release. Look at BT white dog when if showed up on shelves.

393foureyedfox
12-25-2013, 21:04
so, what is the difference in white whiskey and vodka? assuming you make vodka from grains and not potatoes, what IS the difference? I know, in the case of Dickel, there's likely a charcoal filtering going on before bottling, but some vodkas also charcoal filter.

Someone clue me in, vodka is cheap, so why would one want to buy white whiskey?

TheNovaMan
12-25-2013, 21:14
My understanding is vodka is distilled to a much higher proof to obliterate any grain influence on the resulting spirit.

Paddy
12-25-2013, 22:21
so, what is the difference in white whiskey and vodka? assuming you make vodka from grains and not potatoes, what IS the difference? I know, in the case of Dickel, there's likely a charcoal filtering going on before bottling, but some vodkas also charcoal filter.

Someone clue me in, vodka is cheap, so why would one want to buy white whiskey?

You can pretty much use anything your want to make vodka (melted tire rubber, tree bark, molasses, deer piss, corn, 'taters, ginseng and/or whatever else floats your boat). On the other hand, most U. S. white liquor has traditionally been corn based.

Currently there is a huge novelty market for corn liquor/moonshine (especially flavored). Sadly, it is taking up a lot of the shelf space where good bourbon should be now (and it's a damn shame, because most folks don't have access to good moonshine and/or don't know how to flavor vodka or pure grain to make something so close to the same thing that they wouldn't know the difference)!

Have you seen the prices folks are paying for flavored white/corn liquor in the big box stores?

As for me....I buy white spirits (vodka) for bloody Mary's, vodka tonics and lubricating pretty girls! :grin:

P. S. On topic....I've not had any GD in weeks!

oke&coke
12-26-2013, 07:57
My understanding is vodka is distilled to a much higher proof to obliterate any grain influence on the resulting spirit.
Yes vodka has to be distilled to at least 190pr which removes just about all flavoring compounds. A charcoal filtering is then used to remove any remaining flavor.

TunnelTiger
12-26-2013, 10:32
JD, JB, & GD are all going after a different market segment than the tried and true Bourbon drinker. If it knocks some of the multiple bottles of low proof "moonshine" off the shelf it's all good.

Flyfish
12-26-2013, 10:54

Other than marketing, then, is there any reason that vodka might benefit from being made with organic corn? My son-in-law claims he can taste a differences in vodkas. I point out that, by definition, there is no taste in vodka and differences might be attributable to mouth feel or smoothness related to more complete removal of congeners. Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter?

squire
12-26-2013, 11:09
The organic vodka Rain has a thicker texture (Stolichnaya achieves the same thing by adding sugar) than the standard MGP stuff most producers use but it's mostly marketing.

Any domestic produced vodka must by law be "tasteless, odorless and colorless" so they identifiably have no difference in taste.

393foureyedfox
12-26-2013, 11:10
Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter?

wow.....sounds like there's a story there!

squire
12-26-2013, 11:12
One I would never ask but I would offer the chap a drink.

Paddy
12-26-2013, 11:34
Distillers of all spirits sure like to proclaim the virtues of their water!

So, could the son in law possibly be defended by the differences in taste....of the water used?

squire
12-26-2013, 12:00
Don't see how, by law the water used has to be tasteless as well.

Flyfish
12-26-2013, 12:21
wow.....sounds like there's a story there!

Not really. Other than an absurd preference for vodka over bourbon he is a decent chap. Another daughter, however, had the good sense to marry a man who prefers Booker's. And, Squire, it just happened to be a glass of Rain I had poured for that first fellow.

TheNovaMan
12-26-2013, 14:48
Other than marketing, then, is there any reason that vodka might benefit from being made with organic corn? My son-in-law claims he can taste a differences in vodkas. I point out that, by definition, there is no taste in vodka and differences might be attributable to mouth feel or smoothness related to more complete removal of congeners. Or am I as wrong about this as about letting him marry my daughter? What, exactly, makes the corn organic? Do they not use fertilizer? Is it non-GMO? No pesticides? If they don't use fertilizer, what about manure? I count manure as fertilizer. GMO just does very quickly what would take a very long time crossing one plant with another.
There's no way anybody can taste the difference between vodka made from regular corn and vodka made from "organic" corn, everything else being the same.

sutton
12-26-2013, 15:02
Not an expert on GMO, but GMO grains are modified (at least in one way) to produce more of a natural pesticide than the plant would otherwise normally produce as a defense against insect damage. They are also bred to be more resistant to herbicides, so you can spray herbicides more liberally without hurting the plant, but that increased herbicide might end up in your food.

To me the issue isn't whether you can taste the difference (because you are probably right that you couldn't taste the difference), but whether any of these chemicals would distill over, whether they would cause yeasts during fermentation to produce other non-desirous compounds that could distill over, at what increased concentration if they do go over and whether or not they would be cut out in the heads/tails anyway or whether they'd end up in the heart.

squire
12-26-2013, 15:20
We don't have anything other than their word. Of course, even a field certified as organic will quickly cross pollinate with the GMO cornfield next door and for that we do have evidence. It's all No. 2 Dent corn anyway and there's no difference in flavor of the distillates.

As for taste differences in vodka yes, there can be some, though slight. The harshness of GNS can be softened as proven in an experiment awhile back by our own Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (Gary Gillman) who ran some cheap vodka through a Brita filter.

B.B. Babington
12-26-2013, 19:20
I used to could tell a difference in vodkas, but that was 20 years ago before they quadruple distilled before adding raspberry and bubblegum. Maybe could tell a difference now if I tried them, but not gonna. Who'd waste their time on vodka when there's plenty o' good whiskey to drink? And if ya ever get tired of whiskey, there's always whisky.

TheNovaMan
12-26-2013, 21:02
So, getting back to Dickel, do people generally find it less smoky than Jack Daniels, but more smoky than bourbon?

squire
12-26-2013, 21:09
That's my take on it Pete.

TheNovaMan
12-26-2013, 21:13
In that case, I'll stick with bourbon.

393foureyedfox
12-26-2013, 21:42

my first few pours I could only best describe as 'sooty'. I couldnt make up my mind on it, but a few pours later, and I decided I love it. Still, sooty-smoke is a quasi-correct way to put it. I find it quite agreeable, the same way I like smoky BBQ sauce.

It's cheap enough to try it and see for yourself. Grab a 375 of Dickel 12, if nothing else. Theyre about $12 here.

The 9 year is better, but I'd recommend trying the D12 first, as it's far cheaper, and will give you an idea of the profile

bourbonfoot
01-18-2014, 17:58
A friend of mine was helping his neighbor clean out his house a few weeks ago. His neighbor gave him this bottle they found while cleaning. Anybody know any info on it?

squire
01-18-2014, 18:38
Looks like mid 1970s or earlier vintage George Dickel Black Label. Being a quart bottle and the fact it's 86.8 proof sets the period of manufacture no later than then.

Back in the day the only difference between white and black label was black was a little younger and a bit lighter in proof.

How long has it been open?

bourbonfoot
01-18-2014, 19:01
No clue, unfortunately. It was given to the owner by his grandfather as a gift. The previous owner doesn't drink, so I guess it was only drank by guests maybe. We haven't tried it yet, but the nose on it is really great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squire
01-18-2014, 19:23
That's encouraging but yes, only tasting will tell.

Pieface
01-19-2014, 04:50

Anti-dickel, pro-GMO.

Second thoughts about your BFF status here Petey!

kwshannon
01-19-2014, 06:00
Opened a bottle of GD12 last night an enjoyed a couple of pours. The initial nose reminded us of the distillery tour.

tanstaafl2
02-05-2014, 18:47
Made a stop at he Dickel Distillery today. Enjoyed the tour but unfortunately they weren't operational as they were doing some cleaning and maintenance.

Gift Shop had the new corn whisky but I passed. They also noted they were out of the Single barrel 14yo in the Gift Shop and that all current barrels were now spoken for. The 9yo was going for the princely sum of $98.99. Seemed a wee bit steep making me wish I had picked up one in Nashville where it was only $39.99! Same store had the 14yo as well but don't recall the price.

Decided to pass on everything at the GS as a result.

squire
02-05-2014, 18:53
Yes, at some point we just have to say no.

biskuit
02-19-2014, 07:14
All the talk lately is these single barrels, but I went back to the regular old Barrel Select this past week and was mighty impressed, especially with the nose. Just gorgeous. It's a solid choice in the $40 range. Also tried the new white corn whisky, which is pleasant for the genre, but not necessarily my cup o tea.

Thoughts and tasting notes over on Thirsty South (http://www.thirstysouth.com/2014/02/19/dickel-white-no-1-corn-whisky-barrel-select-tennessee-whisky/)

VAGentleman
02-19-2014, 11:31
The regular Barrel Select has always been too sweet for me. And at 86 proof a little light on proof

squire
02-19-2014, 11:48
I do like the Barrel Select and it's something I recommend but I prefer the brighter style and higher proof of No. 12.

kaiserhog
02-19-2014, 17:05
I do like the Barrel Select and it's something I recommend but I prefer the brighter style and higher proof of No. 12.Me too. Absolutely, there is more flavor, at least to me, in No. 12. That said the Barrel Select is a fine whiskey.

fishnbowljoe
02-23-2014, 11:38
This one's for you Doug.

I was at the Binny's get together yesterday. One of the magic carts included a bottle of their 14 year old Dickle Barrel Select SB. I made it a point to try it. I have to admit that it caught me a little bit off guard. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting very much. While the chalky, vitamin taste was still present to me, it was very well balanced, and offset by a nice pleasant sweetness. Very reminiscent of something wheated. It was all in all a very pleasant surprise. I wish they had bought a barrel of the 9 year old too. It would have been nice to compare the two. I almost bought a bottle, but the price point was just a bit too much for me to justify. I opted for a FR's SB instead.

Cheers! Joe

WAINWRIGHT
02-23-2014, 12:56
I was at the Binny's get together yesterday. I opted for a FR's SB instead.

Cheers! JoeWho the hell are you and what did you do with Joe?:grin:

Vosgar
02-23-2014, 13:06
Who the hell are you and what did you do with Joe?:grin:

I'm concerned as well Ryan.......he hardly talked the whole way back to Rockford :shocked: Could be a Manny's overdose, could be the colder than usual winter, could be he finally snapped

fishnbowljoe
02-23-2014, 13:20
Who the hell are you and what did you do with Joe?:grin:

I'm concerned as well Ryan.......he hardly talked the whole way back to Rockford :shocked: Could be a Manny's overdose, could be the colder than usual winter, could be he finally snapped

Sometimes I'm not really sure why I like you guys. :smiley_acbt:

393foureyedfox
02-23-2014, 17:50
This one's for you Doug.

I was at the Binny's get together yesterday. One of the magic carts included a bottle of their 14 year old Dickle Barrel Select SB. I made it a point to try it. I have to admit that it caught me a little bit off guard. To be completely honest, I wasn't expecting very much. While the chalky, vitamin taste was still present to me, it was very well balanced, and offset by a nice pleasant sweetness. Very reminiscent of something wheated. It was all in all a very pleasant surprise. I wish they had bought a barrel of the 9 year old too. It would have been nice to compare the two. I almost bought a bottle, but the price point was just a bit too much for me to justify. I opted for a FR's SB instead.

Cheers! Joe

thanks for the notes! I havent seen any 14 year here, they vanished as soon as they hit the shelves it seemed. at $65, I doubt Id buy one anyway, you know how I am with $50+ whiskey! But, Id love to try it.

what's a Binny's magic cart?

fishnbowljoe
02-23-2014, 19:48
what's a Binny's magic cart?

Here's a couple of pics from past get togethers.

393foureyedfox
02-24-2014, 05:53
Here's a couple of pics from past get togethers.

so the 'magic cart' is full of sampling bottles?

HighInTheMtns
02-24-2014, 08:54
Notice all the little things like tax strips, private selection stickers, out of production bottlings, etc. I'd love to make it to Chicago for one of these.

fishnbowljoe
02-24-2014, 14:39

That's what it is all right. Different stuff each time. Those pics were from smaller get togethers. Joe pulled out two carts for us Saturday. Some folks will bring some pretty nice bottles to share, and if there's anything left in them, they'll donate them to the cart. In doing that, even more folks might get the chance to taste something they've never had before.

At the KBF a few years ago, one member gifted me over half of a 750 of pre-pro Old Crow. I brought it along with me to the next Binny's get together. I ended up donating it to the cart. From what I heard, it was in the cart for a while, and quite a few folks got the chance to try it. That's what it's all about.

weller_tex
03-19-2014, 09:46
So what is it that gives Dickel 12 that mineral or "vitamin" taste. I like Dickel 12 but that is a taste not found in JD at all..

squire
03-19-2014, 10:30
It's the unique yeast strain Dickel uses to ferment their mash.

VAGentleman
03-19-2014, 14:06
Does the yeast interacting with the wood cause it? Because the white corn whiskey doesn't have that flavor

docbible
03-19-2014, 14:16
The yeast would be long gone after distillation and not be alive to interact with the barrel.

biskuit
03-19-2014, 20:08
The yeast would be long gone after distillation and not be alive to interact with the barrel.

Yeast may be gone, but the flavor of the yeast can certainly persist in a whiskey (see Four Roses, or High West Silver OMG) - whether unaged or aged. To VAGentleman's point, if yeast is imparting flavor to the whiskey, it's likely to be more pronounced in an unaged whiskey than it is in an aged whiskey where the wood would start to exert more influence.

squire
03-20-2014, 14:57
Does the yeast interacting with the wood cause it? Because the white corn whiskey doesn't have that flavor

I didn't know that.

weller_tex
03-24-2014, 09:16
Thanks guys, would not have guessed yeast..

Gillman
04-01-2014, 17:26
Every few years I buy a bottle (the No. 12, this time) and am very pleased with the current purchase. The texture is silky soft, no burn and like a good brandy. The taste is vanilla-driven, with butterscotch and light distillery flavours. Just a touch of the trademark vitamins, which I'm good with at this level. Impressive and an excellent value.

Gary

squire
04-01-2014, 18:00
I noticed the same thing in a recent tasting, I hope Diageo puts some effort into this brand.

Gillman
04-02-2014, 01:29
Indeed. For some years the palate, IMO, drifted to an extreme of mineral, "vitamins" taste. Hopefully the course has been reset. The silk and mouthfeel of this current one are really impressive - and the proof is still 90.

weller_tex
04-02-2014, 11:54
Every few years I buy a bottle (the No. 12, this time) and am very pleased with the current purchase. The texture is silky soft, no burn and like a good brandy. The taste is vanilla-driven, with butterscotch and light distillery flavours. Just a touch of the trademark vitamins, which I'm good with at this level. Impressive and an excellent value.

Gary

I had some a few weeks ago and I don't know how old the bottling was, but it was pretty vitamin-y. I wasn't bad but it wasn't what you described either.

Gillman
04-02-2014, 18:46
I think the batches must vary.

Gary

squire
04-02-2014, 18:56
For me the vitamin note is elusive, sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't.

chrisg
04-03-2014, 06:18

Gary

Agree with this. Had another 12 last night with a single ice cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weller_tex
04-03-2014, 07:55
I think the batches must vary.

Gary

Yep must be quite a bit of variation. The first bottle I had about 4 years ago..now that I think back..had no vitamin taste at all..