PDA

View Full Version : What beer are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Pages : [1] 2

Special Reserve
12-25-2012, 08:48
Last night I had a Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Nice crisp and refreshing glass. Even with all the great brewers in MI, this brewery out of Cleveland is one of my favorites.

smokinjoe
12-25-2012, 13:26
Last night I had a Great Lakes Christmas Ale.

Nice crisp and refreshing glass. Even with all the great brewers in MI, this brewery out of Cleveland is one of my favorites.

I'll second that, Will. Their Dortmunder Gold is a favorite of mine.

Today, it was the annual Sam Adams Fezziwig's Ale and Holiday Porter on this Christmas Day. Quite nice beers in their own right!

:toast:

stevegoz
12-26-2012, 11:53
Had to do a drain pour last night, unfortunately -- The Bruery's 5 Golden Rings. My bad for not aging it, perhaps -- the ester alcohol taste just wasn't for me.

ebo
12-26-2012, 12:47
My brother in law got me the usual case of Samuel Adams holiday brews. I'm drinking a Chocolate Bock right now. I really like this one. The Coffee Stout is missing in this year's case. It was replaced by the not so good (IMO) White Christmas Ale.

smokinjoe
12-28-2012, 20:12
A bottle of New Holland Hopivore, upon returning home from dinner. Less aggressive than I expected. Maybe, the name? Anywho, a pleasant brew.

stevegoz
12-29-2012, 07:14
One of the better beer bars in Chicago's suburbs put out a slew of barrel-aged beers last night -- enjoyed some Goose Island Baudonia (a bottom-of-the-rack Bourbon County Stout draft-only variant that's a bit less boozy and more chocolatey than the standard release), some GI BCS infused with vanilla through a Randall, a Revolution Very Mad Cow (barrel-aged milk stout -- I think I would've enjoyed this more as a standalone; it paled in comparison to the GI pours) and an interesting Allagash Bourbon Barrel Black Ale with a fair bit of herbal components that got into a messy knife fight with the bourbon.

MyOldKyDram
12-29-2012, 11:26
Not drinking it yet, but just came home with an Old Rasputin XV.

thiemb
12-29-2012, 14:04
A bomber of Anderson Valley Heelch O Hops. Very crisp and refreshing with lots of citrus, fresh herbs and hops. I also picked up some Anderson Valley Winter Solstice, Goose Island BCBS, and FiftyFifty Eclipse x2 - one aged in EC 12 barrels and another aged in Old Fitz barrels. I'm really excited to finally try the FF Eclipse, but I'm hosting a whiskey tasting and poker game tonight so I probably wont be having any more beer today.

WAINWRIGHT
12-29-2012, 14:15
Purchased a couple of Trappist ales upon recommendation,Orval and Rochefort 10 which are both stated for consumption later this evening.

smokinjoe
12-29-2012, 18:59
Plain old Budweiser in my 2012 Holiday Budweiser Stein that my nephew gifted me for Christmas. Good beer. Gooder stein. Goodest nephew.

oke&coke
12-29-2012, 19:23
Plain old Budweiser in my 2012 Holiday Budweiser Stein that my nephew gifted me for Christmas. Good beer. Gooder stein. Goodest nephew.
Sometimes the best things in life are really that easy.

stevegoz
12-29-2012, 22:10
Had some Neapolitan Milk Stout by Saugatuck Brewing tonight. Definitely different. They got the trio of flavors in, for sure -- strawberry dominates, then the chocolate and then the vanilla. Probably more of a one-off novelty purchase than a regular addition to the rotation.

thiemb
12-30-2012, 13:40
Fifty Fifty Eclipse Blue Wax (Old Fitz barrel aged) while watching my Vikes go for the playoffs. Lots of chocolate with a sweet finish like a milkshake. I dont taste much from the barrel but still a great stout. I may need to pick up a couple more of these while they're available.

Tennessee Dave
12-30-2012, 17:02
Some Orval and Rochefort 10 on this Belgian day.

BradleyC
12-30-2012, 18:39
Thanks to one of our kind Chicago friends I am having a Three Floyds night. Had a Gumbalhead. I don't like wheat beers but the ridiculous amount of hops saved it. I can't recall another overhopped wheat beer and this one is worth trying. After that got into the Dreadnaught. 3F is definitely a hop shop and they do it well. Zombie Dust is for tomorrow. If I can wait that long.

HP12
12-30-2012, 19:24
DIPA day/night while watching playoff implication football:
1. Heady Topper
2. Zoe
3. Maharaja

HT wins the day...as usual but the other two are no slouches.

Ejmharris
12-31-2012, 07:31
I had a Zombie dust in Christmas Eve thanks to my cousins husband. It really is a fantastic beer. vey nice balance and not just hops for the sale if hops like the trend seems to be going these days. He me mentioned it was almost impossible to find. Well, I seem to have better beer searching luck than bourbon searching as a orphaned six pack found a good home today. Looks like New Years will bring a zombie apocalypse for my brother and I tonight!

Mike

stevegoz
12-31-2012, 08:18
DIPA day/night while watching playoff implication football:
1. Heady Topper
2. Zoe
3. Maharaja

HT wins the day...as usual but the other two are no slouches.

I'm surprised how well the HT I dragged home from VT in mid July has held up (maybe keeping it fridged the whole time has helped). Down to my last eight, but the one I had Thursday night was delish.

Tony
01-01-2013, 11:10
DFH 120 this afternoon.

Best regards, Tony

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ejmharris
01-01-2013, 11:14
Rang in the new year with Great Divides Hibernation Ale and Claymore Scotch (wee heavey), Cincinnatus (barrel aged imperial stout from local brewer) and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust. All great beers.

Mike

tanstaafl2
01-01-2013, 11:29
What did you think of the Claymore? I purchased several Scotch Ales including that one to compare but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Clavius
01-01-2013, 14:21
Had my first Yuengling today. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. Not sure what the big deal is. Also had the Yuengling Black & Tan which was slightly better.

MyOldKyDram
01-01-2013, 14:27
Cooking the brisket and smothered cabbage, having my Old Rasputin XV.

squire
01-01-2013, 14:47
I really wanted to like Yuengling but when we finally got some is was a bit of a letdown.

smknjoe
01-01-2013, 14:47
Polished off a Double Dog (2011 Vintage) and a Long Strange Tripel earlier. I only have one of the DDs left and then I'll have to go out of state to get more!

MyOldKyDram
01-01-2013, 14:49
Yuengling is a fine lawn mower, session beer even. Special though, it ain't.

smknjoe
01-01-2013, 14:50
Had my first Yuengling today. And honestly, I wasn't too impressed. Not sure what the big deal is. Also had the Yuengling Black & Tan which was slightly better.

It's been a while, but I remember it being very "domestic" tasting. Nothing to seek out.

squire
01-01-2013, 14:55
We got a 'sampler case' they put out, a six pack each of lager, dark, black&tan, and I believe a cream ale. It was really exciting until we began to sample them.

Gillman
01-01-2013, 15:11
We got a 'sampler case' they put out, a six pack each of lager, dark, black&tan, and I believe a cream ale. It was really exciting until we began to sample them.

Early candidate for best post of 2013. :)

Gary

Ejmharris
01-01-2013, 15:13
What did you think of the Claymore? I purchased several Scotch Ales including that one to compare but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't have a lot of other wee heaveys to compare it to, but I am a big fan. Great Divide, IMHO, puts out some high quality beers. This is probably my brothers favorite beer right now which is why we had it for New Years. Let me know how it stands up to the other Scotch Ales as I would be very interested in trying some others as well.

Mike

hectic1
01-01-2013, 16:30
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/02/5e2a3ahy.jpg This is hands down the best beer that I have had from this brewery. It's a black IPA that has nice molasses and chocolate undertones part with fresh and clean citrus and pine hops...yummy!

Yeti
01-01-2013, 20:29
I finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Wasn't disappointed.

Tennessee Dave
01-02-2013, 19:24
St. Bernardus Christmas ale....this is tasty!

unclebunk
01-03-2013, 08:41
Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!

stevegoz
01-03-2013, 08:59
Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely. My first reaction was that it reminded me of Paulaner Salvator or something else along the lines of doppelbock. But that wasn't quite it. Then I thought of barleywine or some kind of high octane Scotch ale, but that didn't seem quite right either. And then suddenly it came to me...Sam Adams Triple Bock, an experimental release from the mid-nineties that tasted like...(wait for it) freakin' soy sauce! That was it! Of course, as soon as I uttered the words "soy sauce" everyone else in the room picked up on the flavor due to the power of suggestion. But I stand by my assessment that this particular batch tasted like shit. I've had others in the line that I loved but this one just didn't do it for any of us which amounted to $30 down the drain. Bummer!

Why, you no-account son of a.... :lol:

Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor. I can't say I noticed any such note the one time that I had this year's batch on tap. (But that was at the brewery itself with the brewmaster, so it may have been a "honey keg." :grin:)

Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.

MauiSon
01-03-2013, 09:17
I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!

stevegoz
01-03-2013, 09:25
I just wanna say that I am so glad I have no interest in craft beers - the craft beer craze is nuts and I intend to stay away. Have at it, boys!

Ha! Yeah, because there aren't any parallels to the current bourbon scene.... :lol:

AaronWF
01-03-2013, 10:02
Okay. At the risk of being kicked in the groin by lovers of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, a friend of mine picked up a growler of the Barrel-aged Bourbon County Coffee Stout over the weekend and, to a person, we all disliked it immensely.

I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!

unclebunk
01-03-2013, 10:46
Can I ask where the growler came from? (Leo's?) Could be a line issue or something that fouled up the works. Only one of the most recent 50 reviews of GI BCBCS on Beer Advocate mention a soy sauce flavor...Now if it was barrel-aged Dark Lord, or any Dark Lord for that matter, the soy sauce thing would make a ton of sense.

I had my first BCBCS over the weekend, from a '12 bomber, and I was not as taken with it as I am by the '12 BCBS. Too much ground coffee bitterness for me, similar to what I get from espresso covered chocolate, which I usually love, but it was just too spread out over the whole body and finish. I have a couple other bottles that I'll hold on to for a few years; I think they might be delicious two years from now.

I definitely didn't get any soy sauce though. Sounds like something was wrong with your growler!

Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!:grin:

smknjoe
01-03-2013, 11:15
I finally got my hands on a Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Wasn't disappointed.

Good stuff. Definitely a sipping beer or to be shared with a friend or two. I like it after it's warmed up a bit. The flavors really start to come out

I remember that Sam Adams triple bock crap! Back then they were pretty much the only game in town (Nationally.) People knock them now as if they were Bud or something, but they still make some decent beers.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll steer clear of this stuff then.

stevegoz
01-03-2013, 12:45
Yes, Steve. It was from Leo's and they may have a problem with their lines. If it's still on tap, I'm going to ask for a sample to consume in the store and see if I get the same reaction. If not, maybe it was the growler itself which I rather doubt. There's only one way to find out!:grin:

That wasn't meant to be a diss on Leo's -- I just don't know many places to get GI growler fills! I enjoyed my first sojourn there Friday night before the Brixie's barrel-aged madness; as I was driving my city friends back to the train station after the Brix we detoured to Leo's so they could pick up some barrel-aged Firestone-Walker stuff that I'd noticed.

MyOldKyDram
01-03-2013, 15:30
Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.

Clavius
01-03-2013, 15:46
Thursday night flight at Lexington Beerworks with Founders Breakfast, Three Floyd's Alpha King, Bells Expedition, and Schneider Aventinus.

Beerworks is a great place.

MyOldKyDram
01-03-2013, 15:50
Yup. Love tha place. Gotta be sure to go back for their anniversary week for some Zombie Dust and Utopias.

smokinjoe
01-04-2013, 15:14
Okaaay. There goes a 3 day work week that felt like 8. So, grabbing a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock from the fridge. I only have this beer at this time of year, as it's usually the last ones I pull from the SA Holiday Pack. And, each time, my impressions of it change. Sometimes, I've loved it. Sometimes, too syrupy sweet. Sometimes, too chocolatey. Sometimes, bland. Well, this one is hitting my palate just right. Perfect texture, and the sweetness is toned down, and the cocoa is just right. More bitter than sweet, and at just the right balance for me. Since the chocolate notes are hittin' right with me at the moment, maybe it's time to mosey on over to that OGD 114 sittin' on the bar....Hey, ol' feller...got a pour left in ye?

MyOldKyDram
01-05-2013, 10:12
Doing a little prep for my Fathers bday dinner tomorrow and having a Dogfish Head Burton Baton.

stevegoz
01-05-2013, 10:41
I'm really enjoying the Woodchuck reserve bourbon-barrel-aged cider. I often have a cider or NG Apple Ale along with my bourbon, so the appeal to me is obvious.

Also had a Chimay blue that has been in my fridge for a few years last night. Exquisite!

Clavius
01-05-2013, 15:47
Some Guinness Extra Stout tonight that I forgot I had. It's been in the back of my beer fridge for... awhile.

callmeox
01-05-2013, 16:00
Italian beef sandwiches with fried peppers on the dinner menu along with a cold Brownstone ale by Sixpoint.

I think this is another beer that the GBS leadership would enjoy. The hops are offset by a nice level of maltiness and at 6% abv, the alcohol is not forward at all.

Gillman
01-05-2013, 17:16
Did the cold-aging hurt the Guinness? I think that is the one brewed in Canada. It should be good cold.

Today I had a draft German dark lager with the odd-sounding name Thurn und Taxis. (Odd-sounding to American and Canadian ears I mean). The name, which might be mistaken for a venerable literary movement with Romantic leanings, relates to a German family I understand, a distinguished old family which once owned a brewery which brewed beers of this name in Munich. The well-known Paulaner brewery bought them out about 20 years ago but keeps the brand going and the beer is as good as ever. The dark has a dryish, coffee-like taste - not expresso, which to keep the metaphor going would characterize more strong porter or stout - but tan or brown coffee of an even-tempered palate, say mocha, that type. There was good interleaved bitterness too, not the pilsener kind which can taste of hay or a lane in dense farm country, but steely mineral-like hops. Usually I find German draft beer here just doesn't taste quite right, too chemically or something, but this one was perfect, and served in a handsome stoneware mug that seduced my usual resolve to drink only from plain glass (with no label please, e.g. I cannot drink from the glasses Guinness has developed for its draft stout, the lurid label puts me off).

And so that is what I had to drink today for beer, just one and it was perfect.

Gary

squire
01-05-2013, 17:23
Haven't had their beer but the T&T family also owned vineyards for centuries and I've had some of the wine.

Gillman
01-05-2013, 17:35
That's interesting. (The bartender called it T&T too, he said the customers who know the brand use that term).

I'd wager Liquor Barn or Party Source has it in KY. I'll bring a passel of it to Gazebo in April if I can find it.

Gary

P.S. Beer-related joke for legalists which is recounted in a number of old English texts on beer or brewing history: A Mr. Justice Maule was asked, "Why do you drink so much stout My Lord?", to which he replied: "To bring my intellect down to the level of the rest of the bench".

HighInTheMtns
01-05-2013, 17:54
Drinking an Epic Hopulent IPA tonight. They're different every time. I'm enjoying this release, I find a lot of citrus hoppiness which always works well for me and plenty of malt to balance it out.

thiemb
01-05-2013, 18:00
One of my favorites. 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust.

Ejmharris
01-05-2013, 18:10

One of my favorites as well.

Mike

compliance
01-06-2013, 10:19

I had my first taste of the BCS when I was back east for the holidays this year. Mine was from the regular 12oz bottle and it was also all soy sauce. I was pretty disappointed considering all the hype this gets. It's way too over the top, too sweet, and completely out of balance. I like lots of other barrel aged beers, it's not a style thing.

Tony
01-06-2013, 10:41
This One Goes To 11 ale, a very tasty limited release from Bell's

MyOldKyDram
01-06-2013, 11:11
Having a New Holland Dragon's Milk and then maybe off to some Beer Barrel Bourbon.

AaronWF
01-06-2013, 13:01

One of my favorites as well.

This is my favorite everyday beer. Great on its own, great with food; I feel very privileged to have regular access to this stuff fresh. I just recently tried what many consider its equal, if not superior, Pliny the Elder. I love it! It tastes a bit bigger than the ZD, and while the hops are perhaps just as present, they aren't quite as direct as the single hop strain used in the ZD. If I lived on the West Coast, I'd drink Pliny all the time, but being that I'm a Chicagoan with a soft spot for the FFF house profile, I'm more than happy to keep my ZD.

MyOldKyDram
01-06-2013, 13:03
I have never had ZD, but I'll be looking forward to trying it this week! *excited*

thiemb
01-06-2013, 20:27
This is my favorite everyday beer. Great on its own, great with food; I feel very privileged to have regular access to this stuff fresh. I just recently tried what many consider its equal, if not superior, Pliny the Elder. I love it! It tastes a bit bigger than the ZD, and while the hops are perhaps just as present, they aren't quite as direct as the single hop strain used in the ZD. If I lived on the West Coast, I'd drink Pliny all the time, but being that I'm a Chicagoan with a soft spot for the FFF house profile, I'm more than happy to keep my ZD.

Totally agree about ZD. I always try to keep some in the fridge. Never tried Pliny the Elder before but I'll have to look for some the next time I'm out west. If you're looking for another great similarly hoppy beer check out Anderson Valley Heelch O Hops. It's available at a couple places around Chicago.

WAINWRIGHT
01-07-2013, 17:33
Settled in tonight with a Squatter's Outer Darkness and it is really spot on the 10.5% ABV doesn't hurt either!

MyOldKyDram
01-09-2013, 14:53
Having a Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge. Never seen this around here before, so either I'm not paying attention or we have some new distribution in these parts. Either way WOWEE. This is some damned fine stuff.

smknjoe
01-09-2013, 15:06
Moylan's Hopsickle = Yuck. Why do so many of the west coast brewers insist on bringing out the bitterness of hops instead of focusing on the hops' great flavors (fruit, citrus, mint, etc.?)

smokinjoe
01-10-2013, 17:04
Picked up a 2013 Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye today. It's my after dinner beverage of choice, this evening. A nice beer, with one of the most prolific heads of any beer I've poured in recent memory, I'll admit. A nice drinker, but for the most part, uninspiring. I just don't get the whole rye beer thing. It seems the more brands I try of these, the less I get of the "spicy", "peppery", "blah-blah-blah", that the label says it is going to impart. I can't help but think it's simply a play on the recent rye whiskey binge from the crafts, and with no real benefits. Am I whacked, here? Anywho, there's nothing wrong with it, but any suggestion that it is going to give me what I get from a good rye whiskey is pure folly.

Clavius
01-10-2013, 17:09
Picked up a 2013 Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye today. It's my after dinner beverage of choice, this evening. A nice beer, with one of the most prolific heads of any beer I've poured in recent memory, I'll admit. A nice drinker, but for the most part, uninspiring. I just don't get the whole rye beer thing. It seems the more brands I try of these, the less I get of the "spicy", "peppery", "blah-blah-blah", that the label says it is going to impart. I can't help but think it's simply a play on the recent rye whiskey binge from the crafts, and with no real benefits. Am I whacked, here? Anywho, there's nothing wrong with it, but any suggestion that it is going to give me what I get from a good rye whiskey is pure folly.
I love Sierra Nevada but I agree with you regarding the Ruthless Rye. I'm amazed (or maybe relieved) that it's one of their seasonal releases.

OscarV
01-10-2013, 17:11
I picked up two 6-packs of Bells Hopslam today, just released.
I see they were bottled one week ago today, January 3, 2013.
I poured one in a large snifter and put my large bulbous nose in it and it was like cutting open a fresh grapefruit and squeezing it in my face,....
Nothing like fresh Michigan beer!!

Clavius
01-10-2013, 17:19
I poured one in a large snifter and put my large bulbous nose in it and it was like cutting open a fresh grapefruit and squeezing it in my face,....
JEALOUS!

Supposedly it hits KY at the end of the month. Can't wait!! :yum:

OscarV
01-10-2013, 17:22
JEALOUS!

Supposedly it hits KY at the end of the month. Can't wait!! :yum:

I'll trade you MI beer for KY bourbon anytime my Brother.

MyOldKyDram
01-10-2013, 17:23
Wonder if Beerworks will have any the week of their anniversary. Bet so. That's what they opened with last year.

smknjoe
01-10-2013, 17:35

Sounds like they did a good job on the hops in that one. I'll have to look for it.

HighInTheMtns
01-10-2013, 18:52
Drinking a new one tonight, French Connection from the Squatters brewpub in SLC. It's a pale ale, on tap at the brewpub only, apparently made with a new variety of hops crossbred from Cascade and a French hop.

I liked it enough at lunch today to buy a growler full and I'm enjoying it again tonight. I get a lot of hoppy flavors and aromas without too much bitterness. It's unfiltered, which is pretty typical for Squatters pale ales. Unfortunately, since it is served on tap in Utah, it is 4% ABV.

I also picked up a bottle of Squatters Fifth Element, which is decidedly NOT 4% ABV.

unclebunk
01-11-2013, 06:49
Okay. So Deschutes beer has FINALLY made it to Illinois. I saw it for the first time last week and grabbed sixpacks of the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter. (Didn't they miss an opportunity by not calling it Big Butte Porter?:grin:) I haven't tried the porter yet but the pale ale was superb. This isn't a particularly hoppy pale ale (nor should it be) but it is faithful to the traditional English style, with judicious use of hops to give it a wonderful floral aroma and just a tinge of bite to it. What really impressed me was the body/mouth-feel which was silky and full. Very nice, indeed! Now I need to find their IPA and ESB to compare them all. You guys out west have been lucky to drink this beer for so long!

HighInTheMtns
01-11-2013, 13:37
The limited Deschutes releases are really good too. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorites, and in general I have liked all I've tried and I never hesitate to pick up a new one when I see it.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 13:55
Picked up a New Holland Blue Sunday Sour 2012 vintage today. Anybody had this before? I am inclined to tuck this in the back and let a sit a year or so. But curious if it is worth a second bottle to drink now and be able to compare.

smknjoe
01-11-2013, 14:08
Picked up a New Holland Blue Sunday Sour 2012 vintage today. Anybody had this before? I am inclined to tuck this in the back and let a sit a year or so. But curious if it is worth a second bottle to drink now and be able to compare.

Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?

stevegoz
01-11-2013, 14:37
Okay. So Deschutes beer has FINALLY made it to Illinois. I saw it for the first time last week and grabbed sixpacks of the Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter. (Didn't they miss an opportunity by not calling it Big Butte Porter?:grin:) I haven't tried the porter yet but the pale ale was superb. This isn't a particularly hoppy pale ale (nor should it be) but it is faithful to the traditional English style, with judicious use of hops to give it a wonderful floral aroma and just a tinge of bite to it. What really impressed me was the body/mouth-feel which was silky and full. Very nice, indeed! Now I need to find their IPA and ESB to compare them all. You guys out west have been lucky to drink this beer for so long!

The limited Deschutes releases are really good too. Hop in the Dark is one of my favorites, and in general I have liked all I've tried and I never hesitate to pick up a new one when I see it.

Binny's had bombers of the Hop Henge Experimental, a very nice IIPA. So far I've enjoyed that as well as Mirror Pond (nice enough, but not wowed -- I've become a hop head!), Chainbreaker White IPA (more of a weiss than an IPA to me; pretty tasty) and the Red Chair NWPA, a seasonal APA that hit all of the right notes.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 14:52
Sounds good, but I have not had it. Why not get another one and taste it? Is it relatively expensive?

No, I suppose not. Probably should have gotten two while I was there. I expect it will be as expensive to drive to the store and back as the bottle costs! If it is still there when I go again I will just pick another up.

smknjoe
01-11-2013, 15:10
You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 16:08
You're probably right! I "age" my beers sometimes. Usually, only if it's a limited release or hard to find or I just can't drink more than one or two in a sitting (12 ABV+.) So, then I can have some at a much later date up to a couple of years. It really depends on the beer, but I don't usually see a huge dfference in taste other than some of the bolder styles will mellow out a little.

In theory a bottle conditioned sour beer like this should change at least some over time. Unless I get one and drink it now for comparison it will be hard to know! Of course then I have to remember what it tasted like when I drink the other one a year or two later.

But I have trouble remember this morning as it is...

unclebunk
01-11-2013, 16:33
Binny's had bombers of the Hop Henge Experimental, a very nice IIPA. So far I've enjoyed that as well as Mirror Pond (nice enough, but not wowed -- I've become a hop head!), Chainbreaker White IPA (more of a weiss than an IPA to me; pretty tasty) and the Red Chair NWPA, a seasonal APA that hit all of the right notes.

I know what you mean about becoming a hop head. I generally seek out the bolder hopped beers too but it's nice to see that Deschutes didn't follow the American trend of turning all pale ales into IPA's. My initial reaction to Mirror Pond was slight disappointment because my expectation was that it would have a more pronounced hop influence. But as I drank it down I really started to warm up to it and by the end of two bottles I was really impressed. I passed on the Chainbreaker because I feared it would be more of a weiss as you confirmed. (Not that I don't enjoy weissbier but that's more of a summer drink for me.) I regret not getting the Red Chair NWPA but will do so next time. Any sign of their ESB or IPA?

smknjoe
01-11-2013, 16:51
Hop head here too! Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute IPA are two of my favorite expressions of what American IPAs and Double/Imperial IPAs can taste like without tasting like they put a few aspirin in there. Double Dog and Brewdog Hardcore IPA do it well too. There are many other good ones as well. Just can't remember them all.

Edit: I really have to start paying attention to my spelling more! ...coddled by technology too much...

smokinjoe
01-11-2013, 19:03
The local wing joint had one of my favorites on tap tonight, Allagash Curieux. Silky and smooth with every sip.

stevegoz
01-11-2013, 19:04
Any sign of their ESB or IPA?

AFAIK Deschutes is only doing the four beers in six packs we discussed up-thread during this initial Chicago-area release. In fact, the Hop Henge doesn't even seem to have accompanied its lower ABV brethren to a lot of stores. Not sure what the longer term plans are, but I assume we should get their full line of standards plus some seasonals and experiments.

BradleyC
01-11-2013, 19:15
I just can't get into Deschutes. I have determined I don't like their yeast strain. The smell of dirty lake water stands out in all of their beers to me. The one exception to this is their sour brown ale called "the Dissident." The Abyss is drinkable but it is only a shadow of what it used to be. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the horrible infection the abyss had a few years ago. Mirror Mirror, which was a Stranahan's barrel aged barley wine, was also good but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Clavius
01-11-2013, 21:04
A little Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a can tonight.

unclebunk
01-12-2013, 06:53
I just can't get into Deschutes. I have determined I don't like their yeast strain. The smell of dirty lake water stands out in all of their beers to me. The one exception to this is their sour brown ale called "the Dissident." The Abyss is drinkable but it is only a shadow of what it used to be. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the horrible infection the abyss had a few years ago. Mirror Mirror, which was a Stranahan's barrel aged barley wine, was also good but that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Hmm. I'm not getting dirty lake water at all in any of the ones I tried, Bradley. You should call your plumber. It sounds like your septic tank is kicking back through your kitchen faucet when you're washing your beer glasses.:lol:

thiemb
01-12-2013, 17:44
3F Zombie Dust while watching some great football.

tanstaafl2
01-12-2013, 21:46
Stumbled across a Taybeh Dark in the back of the fridge. Left over from a trip to Israel, it is a West Bank made beer in the German style. Just a smidge past the printed "expiration" date on the bottle! Been in the fridge for quite a while so perhaps not as fresh as it could be but at least it had been kept cold the whole time.

Had a nice head and didn't seem to be any the worse for time. A nice dark bock style beer.

OscarV
01-13-2013, 06:02
Road trip to Ypsilanti yesterday to enjoy some draught Bell's Hopslam at Sidetrack, also had one of America's greatest burgers.
Can't wait for Founder's Double Trouble to hit the market.

Special Reserve
01-13-2013, 06:09
Road trip to Ypsilanti yesterday to enjoy some draught Bell's Hopslam at Sidetrack, also had one of America's greatest burgers.
Can't wait for Founder's Double Trouble to hit the market.

I'm not a big hops person, but I like Double Trouble better than Hopslam. For the hops lover, both are outstanding.

OscarV
01-13-2013, 06:48
A couple of weeks ago I picked a good one that I have never had before.
Southern Tier from Lakewood NY has one called 2XIPA.
I rank this one in my top 4 which includes Double Trouble, Hopslam and Arcadia's Hop Mouth.
Will, the best way to enjoy a beer like this is with food, goes best with a sandwich that has a spicy cheese and other similar spreads.

hectic1
01-13-2013, 08:01
A couple of weeks ago I picked a good one that I have never had before.
Southern Tier from Lakewood NY has one called 2XIPA.
I rank this one in my top 4 which includes Double Trouble, Hopslam and Arcadia's Hop Mouth.
Will, the best way to enjoy a beer like this is with food, goes best with a sandwich that has a spicy cheese and other similar spreads. Oscar, if you can locate some Firestone Walker Double Jack it's worth a try...it's available in bombers and 12oz bottles. Good to see you still enjoying the finer beers of Michigan! :)

Tennessee Dave
01-13-2013, 08:05
Ommegang 3 Philosophers

hectic1
01-13-2013, 08:10
It was my niece's 8th b-day yesterday and a couple of their neighbors are beer guys so I brought a bunch of different PA's and IPA's for us to try. In the 6/7 pack I brought:
West 6 IPA (1)
Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (2)
Victory Hop Devil (4)
New Glarius Black Top BIPA (5)
Bell's Two Hearted Ale (6)
Finch's Threadless IPA (7)
FW Double Jack (3)

I ranked them in that order last night...the only one that I was disapointed with was that Finch's...it just was funky! The top 3 really could have gone in any order and IMO there was clear seperation between those 3 and the others. :cool:

Tony
01-13-2013, 10:39
Going with a Bell's Hopslam this afternoon

MyOldKyDram
01-13-2013, 10:43
Zombie Dust on tap at Lexington Beerworks. Tasty.

BradleyC
01-13-2013, 11:43
Hmm. I'm not getting dirty lake water at all in any of the ones I tried, Bradley. You should call your plumber. It sounds like your septic tank is kicking back through your kitchen faucet when you're washing your beer glasses.:lol:

Maybe I should try rid-x?

unclebunk
01-13-2013, 12:02
Big Polish dinner of kielbasa, pierogies and sauerkraut between playoff football games last night, all washed down with a twelver of Zywiec beer and some Tennessee whiskey. Nice!

thiemb
01-13-2013, 12:03
Going with a Bell's Hopslam this afternoon

How is the Hopslam? The guy at my liquor store said some was coming in next week.

Tony
01-13-2013, 12:11
How is the Hopslam? The guy at my liquor store said some was coming in next week.

Highly recommended, one of my favorites, I usually get a case so I can enjoy it throughout the year.

Best regards, Tony

MyOldKyDram
01-13-2013, 15:01
Let's see...in addition to the Zombie Dust, had a great Lakes Eliot Ness, Sixpoint Sweet Action, Brooklyn Monster Ale Barleywine, and a 120 minute IPA. Plus some great food from the Athenian Grill. Good night. :)

DaveOfAtl
01-13-2013, 15:39
Bell's Amber Ale as I try to figure out what bourbon to drink on this warm Atlanta night.

unclebunk
01-13-2013, 16:02
Bell's Amber Ale as I try to figure out what bourbon to drink on this warm Atlanta night.

Kalamazoo Stout for me tonight but the Amber is one of many strays lurking in the back of the beer fridge. With our local temps, we've been drinking lots of porter and stout lately but I guess your balmy weather would have you lucky folks leaning more towards lighter ales and pilsners. The Amber Ale falls nicely in the middle.

DaveOfAtl
01-13-2013, 16:17
Kalamazoo Stout for me tonight but the Amber is one of many strays lurking in the back of the beer fridge. With our local temps, we've been drinking lots of porter and stout lately but I guess your balmy weather would have you lucky folks leaning more towards lighter ales and pilsners. The Amber Ale falls nicely in the middle.

I think I've liked every Bell's beer that I've tried. The amber is going down really easy tonight. Finishing another one, and then on to some EC18 after dinner.

unclebunk
01-13-2013, 16:56
I think I've liked every Bell's beer that I've tried. The amber is going down really easy tonight. Finishing another one, and then on to some EC18 after dinner.

Bell's certainly is a great brewery. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, though there was a time when Oberon was at the top of the list. I can't put my finger on it but it seems to be less full flavored to me these last two years, though still excellent on a hot summer day.

T Comp
01-13-2013, 18:51
Bell's certainly is a great brewery.

And as Oscar can affirm, from our visit last year...one heck of a great tour guide too :grin:.

thiemb
01-13-2013, 22:45
Highly recommended, one of my favorites, I usually get a case so I can enjoy it throughout the year.

Best regards, Tony

Thanks Tony. I'm a big fan of IPAs and DIPAs so I'll probably pick some up this week and try it out. It sounds awesome.

HighInTheMtns
01-13-2013, 23:23
Drank some hoppy beer tonight, Epic Imperial IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Founders Red's Rye PA.

unclebunk
01-14-2013, 07:36
And as Oscar can affirm, from our visit last year...one heck of a great tour guide too :grin:.

For the life of me, I can't understand why my friends and I haven't made the Michigan microbrewery pilgrimage, given how relatively close Bells and a few others are. And now the same can be said for Three Floyds too. One cool thing we're planning on doing soon is heading out to the Roundhouse to drink some Two Brothers, as the train is a block and a half from my house and deposits you right at the brewpub. Not bad, eh?

stevegoz
01-14-2013, 08:17
For the life of me, I can't understand why my friends and I haven't made the Michigan microbrewery pilgrimage, given how relatively close Bells and a few others are. And now the same can be said for Three Floyds too. One cool thing we're planning on doing soon is heading out to the Roundhouse to drink some Two Brothers, as the train is a block and a half from my house and deposits you right at the brewpub. Not bad, eh?

Hop Juice Festival is coming up in June -- fine time at the Roundhouse. (Okay, the Roundhouse parking lot, unless you buy the VIP package, which gets you inside the Roundhouse on this day of days.) Lots of great guest kegs in addition to the 2Bros product. Now if only Solemn Oath were train accessible, you'd have a nice double-dip opportunity.

It's awesome living close to a commuter line -- that was actually one of the top factors that drove our home-buying decision, as easy access to downtown Chicago means we only need one car.

unclebunk
01-14-2013, 09:14
Hop Juice Festival is coming up in June -- fine time at the Roundhouse. (Okay, the Roundhouse parking lot, unless you buy the VIP package, which gets you inside the Roundhouse on this day of days.) Lots of great guest kegs in addition to the 2Bros product. Now if only Solemn Oath were train accessible, you'd have a nice double-dip opportunity.

It's awesome living close to a commuter line -- that was actually one of the top factors that drove our home-buying decision, as easy access to downtown Chicago means we only need one car.

You can say that again, Steve. We can take a three minute walk to the station and be standing downtown in 25 minutes when we catch the express train. It sure has made life easier when spending the day in the city drinking beer at the music fests for hours on end. As to the Hop Juice Festival, I definitely won't be missing that again this year but is it worth the VIP package?

Also, I've been meaning to ask you this. Chicago is a great beer city and there seems to have been an explosion of new micros/brewpubs, etc. pop up in recent years. But what puzzles me is that there seems to be a real paucity of cask-conditioned ale and I've never quite understood that. When I talk to friends in San Francisco, Portland and other great beer meccas I turn green with envy when they tell me what's available to them. Any thoughts on why this is? And where do you find the best cca's in our fair city?

stevegoz
01-14-2013, 09:44
Good question re: cask-conditioned beers. The first place I ever had one was at the 2Bros Tap House about five years ago -- Domaine DuPage and Cane & Ebel on different visits. They used to advertise cask-conditioned ale availability on the weekends, but I haven't noticed any lately. Half Acre does some cask-conditioned beers as well, but I don't know about the likes of Revolution or Pipeworks doing so. Fountainhead and Owen & Engine are among the few places I've been to that serve CCAs.

VIP package for HJF was $50 on Friday and $75 on Saturday last year -- I copied the info below from the website. If pricing is similar this year, I think my group will opt for it on Saturday to reduce the time spent in the sun....

* Exclusive Access to the Two Brothers Roundhouse restaurant, tavern and courtyard;
* Live main stage video and audio simulcast;
* Exclusive Access to the VIP Bar;
* Exclusive Access to the indoor Bathrooms;
* A seat to rest your hop lovin' feet;
* 5 complimentary beers for single day VIP (weekend pass receives 5 per day, 21 or older with state-issued ID);
* Unlimited free non-alcoholic drinks;
* Exclusive Access to Specialty Foods Purveyors inside, including cheese, chocolate and other specialty food samplings;
* Food all day long including
** Friday dinner buffet from 6-8pm
** Saturday barbeque lunch from Noon-2pm
** Saturday dinner buffet from 6-8pm

unclebunk
01-14-2013, 10:42
Good question re: cask-conditioned beers. The first place I ever had one was at the 2Bros Tap House about five years ago -- Domaine DuPage and Cane & Ebel on different visits. They used to advertise cask-conditioned ale availability on the weekends, but I haven't noticed any lately. Half Acre does some cask-conditioned beers as well, but I don't know about the likes of Revolution or Pipeworks doing so. Fountainhead and Owen & Engine are among the few places I've been to that serve CCAs.

VIP package for HJF was $50 on Friday and $75 on Saturday last year -- I copied the info below from the website. If pricing is similar this year, I think my group will opt for it on Saturday to reduce the time spent in the sun....

Thanks for the info on the Hop Juice Fest. Sounds like a good deal to get the VIP pass and definitely the way to go. As to the CCA matter, when I lived in England I got addicted to it and would drink nothing else when I went to a pub. If the pub didn't have cask-conditioned ale (fairly rare), I wouldn't stay. With all the fresh beer available in Chicago and a huge homebrewing community, you'd think there would be a demand for it, as there used to be a terrific but short-lived CCA Festival that was very well attended. The organizers ran into some legal hitches with the city, as I recall, and the event just faded away. What a shame. And the last time I called Rock Bottom over by the Yorktown Mall to inquire about it, they transferred me to the bartender and he didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. Talk about pathetic!

stevegoz
01-14-2013, 11:29
As to the CCA matter, when I lived in England I got addicted to it and would drink nothing else when I went to a pub. If the pub didn't have cask-conditioned ale (fairly rare), I wouldn't stay. With all the fresh beer available in Chicago and a huge homebrewing community, you'd think there would be a demand for it, as there used to be a terrific but short-lived CCA Festival that was very well attended.

The few CCAs I've had always strike me as "softer" versions of the standard beer (the 2Bros examples, especially Cane & Ebel, which I found to be quite hoppy in my pre-hop head days), which I appreciated. Conversely, one of my beer buds refers to CCAs as "warm drool," which probably isn't the most charitable description.

What qualities around CCAs do you most appreciate? Have you found that there are particular beer styles that most benefit from this treatment?

BradleyC
01-14-2013, 18:40
Tonight I opened a Pelican Mother of All Storms (bourbon barrel aged English barleywine). Wow. This is one good beer. It picked up some really nice oak influence from the barrel. The heavier malt profile of the English style is nicely complemented with the barrel aging. The nose shows dark red fruits, caramel, coconut, chocolate malt, whiskey, and the barrel. The taste is equally complex and is not overly sweet or sticky as many barleywines are. This is one of the better BA barleywines that I have had.

fussychicken
01-14-2013, 22:32
Can't get enough of Lagunitas Sucks right now. Had passed on it years past, but finally pulled the trigger this year due to increasing hype. Holy cow. What a fantastically smooth and well balanced IPA. And for only $10 a 6 pack?!?! Unreal! Went back to the store and bought a case. Gotta be the deal of the century.

unclebunk
01-15-2013, 07:27
The few CCAs I've had always strike me as "softer" versions of the standard beer (the 2Bros examples, especially Cane & Ebel, which I found to be quite hoppy in my pre-hop head days), which I appreciated. Conversely, one of my beer buds refers to CCAs as "warm drool," which probably isn't the most charitable description.

What qualities around CCAs do you most appreciate? Have you found that there are particular beer styles that most benefit from this treatment? Yes, Steve. All of them!! Well, not lagers of course but all ales really should be appreciated in cask-conditioned form whenever possible. When you consider that nearly all ale styles (excluding Belgians), be they pale ales, IPA's, brown ales, ESB's, porters, milk stouts, etc. originated in England and that cask-conditioning was the sole method of producing these beers for centuries, it is no wonder that an organization like CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale) has become such a vocal activist (and political) group in the United Kingdom, as they are truly trying to preserve a way of life that centered around the village pub, where cask-conditioned ale was the beer of choice. I don't know as much about the history of bottled beer as I ought to know, but even after bottles were first introduced, beer was still "bottle-conditioned" (making it a close cousin of cask-conditioned beer) until mass production took hold and using CO2 became the preferred method of carbonating beer. So, for me anyway, cca (like all homebrew that hasn't been put in a keg) is greatly preferred because it is naturally carbonated, rather than artificially infused with gas, making it smooth and creamy (and less likely to cause a hangover too!).

Perhaps it is because we have grown up in a nation that historically tends to like their beers minimally hopped and aggressively carbonated that English ales have erroneously earned the reputation of being "warm and flat" by comparison. But when I lived In England and drank the finest fresh ale on the planet, I soon discovered that nothing could be further from the truth. A well-kept cask at cellar temperatures of approximately 45-58 degrees (certainly not warm or room temperature) produces the most flavorful, aromatic ale with a dense, creamy head that you could ever hope for and the furthest thing from "warm drool" one could imagine. The one distinction I would make is that there can be a difference between cask ale in an insulated jacket sitting behind the bar and those that are drawn from a cool cellar via a hand-pull, with the former naturally being at more risk of having a tepid quality than the latter. Check out the link below for more info:

http://www.camra.org.uk/aboutale

MrAtomic
01-15-2013, 16:01
I'm drinking some Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale. I poured the can into a mason jar and am enjoying it very much. It's smooth but not overly sweet, and the alcohol provides a nice bite. My only other experience with Oskar Blues was their Yella Pils, which I found very disappointing. The Old Chub is redeeming, and is something I'll buy again to enjoy during "winter" (I use quotations out of respect for those who deal with actual cold, as I'm in Southern California).

thiemb
01-15-2013, 17:33
Drinking some Bells Hopslam with dinner. I'm gonna need to pick up some more of this because its fantastic.

Clavius
01-15-2013, 17:37
Drinking some Bells Hopslam with dinner. I'm gonna need to pick up some more of this because its fantastic.

Cannot wait until it hits here! One of my favorite beers.

unclebunk
01-15-2013, 18:55
I'm drinking some Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale. I poured the can into a mason jar and am enjoying it very much. It's smooth but not overly sweet, and the alcohol provides a nice bite. My only other experience with Oskar Blues was their Yella Pils, which I found very disappointing. The Old Chub is redeeming, and is something I'll buy again to enjoy during "winter" (I use quotations out of respect for those who deal with actual cold, as I'm in Southern California).

Don't forget to check out Oskar Blues' Dale's Pale Ale which is another good one for you summer-like 'winter.'

compliance
01-15-2013, 19:16
Can't talk Oskar Blues without mentioning Ten Fidy. Horrible name, awesome stout.

unclebunk
01-15-2013, 21:11
Can't talk Oskar Blues without mentioning Ten Fidy. Horrible name, awesome stout.

Very true. Outstanding beer, that Ten Fidy. Tonight though it was back to Deschutes' Black Butte Porter which I'm really enjoying.

stevegoz
01-16-2013, 07:50
Yes, Steve. All of them!! Well, not lagers of course but all ales really should be appreciated in cask-conditioned form whenever possible. When you consider that nearly all ale styles (excluding Belgians), be they pale ales, IPA's, brown ales, ESB's, porters, milk stouts, etc. originated in England and that cask-conditioning was the sole method of producing these beers for centuries, it is no wonder that an organization like CAMRA (the Campaign for Real Ale) has become such a vocal activist (and political) group in the United Kingdom, as they are truly trying to preserve a way of life that centered around the village pub, where cask-conditioned ale was the beer of choice. I don't know as much about the history of bottled beer as I ought to know, but even after bottles were first introduced, beer was still "bottle-conditioned" (making it a close cousin of cask-conditioned beer) until mass production took hold and using CO2 became the preferred method of carbonating beer. So, for me anyway, cca (like all homebrew that hasn't been put in a keg) is greatly preferred because it is naturally carbonated, rather than artificially infused with gas, making it smooth and creamy (and less likely to cause a hangover too!).

Perhaps it is because we have grown up in a nation that historically tends to like their beers minimally hopped and aggressively carbonated that English ales have erroneously earned the reputation of being "warm and flat" by comparison. But when I lived In England and drank the finest fresh ale on the planet, I soon discovered that nothing could be further from the truth. A well-kept cask at cellar temperatures of approximately 45-58 degrees (certainly not warm or room temperature) produces the most flavorful, aromatic ale with a dense, creamy head that you could ever hope for and the furthest thing from "warm drool" one could imagine. The one distinction I would make is that there can be a difference between cask ale in an insulated jacket sitting behind the bar and those that are drawn from a cool cellar via a hand-pull, with the former naturally being at more risk of having a tepid quality than the latter. Check out the link below for more info:

http://www.camra.org.uk/aboutale

So if I understand correctly, you are somewhat fond of CCAs? :grin:

Thanks for all of the great info and the link. I'll have to explore more!

unclebunk
01-16-2013, 08:33
So if I understand correctly, you are somewhat fond of CCAs? :grin:

Thanks for all of the great info and the link. I'll have to explore more!

You've got that right! I'm bewildered by the fact that all brewpubs don't have at least a pair of hand-pulls serving up cask-conditioned ale. It's been a while, but Revolution definitely had one or two the last time I was there and the beer was outstanding.

BradleyC
01-16-2013, 09:59
You've got that right! I'm bewildered by the fact that all brewpubs don't have at least a pair of hand-pulls serving up cask-conditioned ale. It's been a while, but Revolution definitely had one or two the last time I was there and the beer was outstanding.

I'm not sure how up to date this is but my area seems pretty accurate. Take a look at this:

http://www.cask-ale.co.uk/us/cask-beer-finder-america.html

dean_martin
01-16-2013, 14:59
Wanted to post this earlier, but came down with the flu right after Christmas.

My two sons and I sampled 4 Christmas beers just before the big day:
Abita Christmas Ale
Bell's Christmas Ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration

But the winner was a bottle of 2009 Anchor Christmas Ale that I found in the back of the beer fridge. It aged very well.

unclebunk
01-16-2013, 17:30
I'm not sure how up to date this is but my area seems pretty accurate. Take a look at this:

http://www.cask-ale.co.uk/us/cask-beer-finder-america.html

Thanks for the link, Bradley. That's fantastic! I will check it out and make some calls to see how up to date it is.

bigtoys
01-16-2013, 18:26
Ninja vs Unicord double IPA from Chicago's Pipeworks Brewing Co.
yeah, I bought it for the label
turned out to taste pretty good.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130116_172551_349-1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130116_172658_484-1.jpg

thiemb
01-16-2013, 19:20
3 Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf. A really nice Imperial IPA. Ideal for a cold winter night like this.

AaronWF
01-17-2013, 14:42
Speaking of cask ales, I made my first trip out to Firkin in Libertyville. At about 25 minutes away from my office, it can be a risky proposition to get there and back for lunch, but I did, and I was very happy I did. They had around 30 beers on tap, including two casks, one with Three Bros Outlaw and the other Tighthead Brewery's Irie IPA. I had the Irie last week on tap and was impressed with a new local brewery's effort, so I started with it. It was pretty darn good, though to be honest, I think I enjoyed it a bit more from the tap.

I had a Zombie Dust with my burger. I wanted to try something I'd never had, but nothing jumped out at me and I've never seen ZD so far north.

Anyway, happy to see such a great beer friendly bar in the N/NW Chicago burbs.

MyOldKyDram
01-17-2013, 14:51
Another Thursday another flight at Lex Beerworks. Goose Island Bourbon County, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Brooklyn Black Ops, and Against the Grain Bo and Luke.

WAINWRIGHT
01-17-2013, 17:06
Some Ten Fidy for the first time and now I see what all the hype is about,a broad shouldered stout that for me is a perfect fit!

thiemb
01-17-2013, 19:47
Bells Hopslam. I've seen it at a few places around town now.

unclebunk
01-18-2013, 06:40
Great night at a local bar where they were holding a Deschutes "roll out" party with reps from the brewery in attendance. We had a nice time sucking down pints of Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Red Chair NWPA and Black Butte Porter, as well as small samples of Chainbreaker White IPA. Nice folks from the brewery too!

unclebunk
01-18-2013, 06:54
Speaking of cask ales, I made my first trip out to Firkin in Libertyville. At about 25 minutes away from my office, it can be a risky proposition to get there and back for lunch, but I did, and I was very happy I did. They had around 30 beers on tap, including two casks, one with Three Bros Outlaw and the other Tighthead Brewery's Irie IPA. I had the Irie last week on tap and was impressed with a new local brewery's effort, so I started with it. It was pretty darn good, though to be honest, I think I enjoyed it a bit more from the tap.

I had a Zombie Dust with my burger. I wanted to try something I'd never had, but nothing jumped out at me and I've never seen ZD so far north.

Anyway, happy to see such a great beer friendly bar in the N/NW Chicago burbs.

Sounds like a great lunch. One thing that I should mention regarding the few cask ales that I have found served here and there in Chicagoland is that many are tended to by people with little or no experience in dealing with them, so they are not always served in their optimal condition. In England, many pub owners/managers hire a "cellar man" (if they lack the knowledge and expertise to handle the chore themselves) to continually monitor the beer's progress until it is ready to be served. Having spent many hours in pub cellars picking their brains as to how it's all done, I learned rather quickly that it really takes a great deal of time to learn the ropes, given that each keg of beer is different, and that a novice will inevitably end up serving an inferior pint. I'm afraid that may often be the case here in the US which is unfortunate but understandable.

This year I will be attending the event linked below which takes place every spring just outside Boston. It's a fabulous time!

http://www.nerax.org/home/what-is-real-ale.html

berto
01-18-2013, 21:21
Russian River Supplication. Tart but good.

stevegoz
01-18-2013, 22:20
Had a Bell's Black Note today (the sole case at my nearby Binny's was sold one bottle at a time in 47 minutes -- or at least the Tweets announcing it was in and then gone were 47 minutes apart). It's a mixture of their Expedition Stout and Double Cream Stout aged in bourbon barrels. On the thin side even at 11.5%; not quite up to the standards of BCBS, KBS or Parabola. Still a mighty fine beer.

smokinjoe
01-19-2013, 12:41
Sittin' out back after my run, soaking up some brilliant sunshine and crisp but comfy temps with a Southern Tier 2XIPA. Stunningly delicious. I was gaga over my first one yesterday, but dismissed my hyped-up enthusiasm as simply a carryover from returning back home from profitable meetings in Chicago. Nope. This stuff IS wonderful. And, it's all about balance and the mouthfeel. Citrusy, hoppy, grapefruit and all that you would expect from the style, but deliciously balanced with a creaminess that prevents those qualities from getting out of hand and running roughshod as it rolls over your palate. This baby is going to be a staple in my beer fridge going forward.

HP12
01-19-2013, 14:57
Southern Tier Unearthly DIPA. Reminds me of DFH90 with that thick smooth maltiness.

smknjoe
01-19-2013, 15:17
That's the second endorsement for a Southern Tier brew. I'll have to put it on my list.

Getting ready to pop open a Clown Shoes Supa Hero...

HP12
01-19-2013, 15:26
Southern Tier puts out a strong line up. Check out BA (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818) for expressions and ratings.

thiemb
01-20-2013, 12:40
I had some Hopslam with lunch and just opened a bomber of FFF Dreadnaught. I love hops.

AaronWF
01-20-2013, 12:49
In England, many pub owners/managers hire a "cellar man" (if they lack the knowledge and expertise to handle the chore themselves) to continually monitor the beer's progress until it is ready to be served. Having spent many hours in pub cellars picking their brains as to how it's all done, I learned rather quickly that it really takes a great deal of time to learn the ropes, given that each keg of beer is different, and that a novice will inevitably end up serving an inferior pint. I'm afraid that may often be the case here in the US which is unfortunate but understandable.

This year I will be attending the event linked below which takes place every spring just outside Boston. It's a fabulous time!

http://www.nerax.org/home/what-is-real-ale.html

That looks like a lot of fun! Yeah, not only do I wonder about the experience of the bartender in drawing from a cask, but I wonder about the contents of the cask itself. Is the beer meant for cask conditioning different from the beer that goes in a regular keg? The bartender at Firkin said they had ZD in the cask the other week. Would that be different from the ZD used in a regular tap - other than the fact that it's not as cold or carbonated?

The best cask-conditioned ale I had in Chicago was at Owen and Engine. It was some kind of Scottish brew made with heather instead of hops. Totally unique and very tasty!

AaronWF
01-20-2013, 13:25
I'm drinking some GI Night Stalker as I casually watch San Fran get a spanking in a rare moment of respite from what has been a LONG last week and a half. The hops have died down a bit since my last bomber a month or two ago. It's a shame. Still pretty darn good, but without the hop kick, the finish is a little sweeter than I prefer.

Edit: my respite was just totally interrupted for like 25 minutes. What good is respite if its just gonna be interrupted??

Edit again: I clearly misused the term 'spanking.' See what happens when my respite is interrupted?

Tennessee Dave
01-20-2013, 15:27
3 good ones today. Orval, Rochefort 10 and Founder's Breakfast Stout

Tony
01-20-2013, 16:38
Finishing my Hopslam from last year to get ready and buy some from this year. Bell's really makes good beer.

Best regards, Tony

stevegoz
01-20-2013, 17:04
Enjoyed some FFF Rye da Tiger. Deliciously creamy and wonderfully hopped. I think those Floyd boys may just know how to brew a pale ale....

RVTsteve
01-20-2013, 20:08
Today my buddy pulled out a Magnum of 2006 Anchor Christmas Ale. We followed it up with a magnum of the 2012 release. The 2006 was overall better by our account with more depth and a more balanced profile. The 2012 was sweeter and hoppier and probably more drinkable. Both were really good, as I usually find this release, but having the two together was special. Thank goodness for patient friends, I don't think I could hold onto something that long!

Ejmharris
01-20-2013, 20:51
Hopslam, hibernation ale, rumble, Sam Adams noble pils, Sam Adams IPA, Old 21 and a pint of miller lite. Now to go post in the what bourbon are you drinking forum. Going to be a rough morning.

Mike

HP12
01-20-2013, 20:54
Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!

stevegoz
01-20-2013, 21:53
Started the evening with a Laughing Dog Brewing "The Dogfather". Over carbonated, too much green oak, not much Bourbon flavor. Where did they source their barrels, Jim Beam and the spent barrels that make up Devils Cut? Almost a drain pour but I manned up and drank the bomber. Turned to quality Bourbon pours post haste!

Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)

Ejmharris
01-21-2013, 07:28
Yeah -- I renamed that one "The Dogwater" when I tried it last year. It was my first bad barrel-aged stout. (The Bourbon Barrel Stout from Bluegrass Brewing Company was my second.)

Not a fan if the bluegrass brewing stout myself.

Mike

HP12
01-21-2013, 09:34

"Dogwater"...good one. Like you, it was my first really bad barrel aged stout.

smokinjoe
01-21-2013, 14:14
Finishing my last bottle of SA Winter Lager. As in years past, I have enjoyed drinking this one over the Winter months. Though I'll look, I don't expect to find much more, because to my surprise, I saw a display for the Alpine Spring seasonal at the store the other day. Mid-January? Really, y'all? At this rate, we're going to see the four major SA Seasonals released just twice per year...Strictly on the principle of the thing, I will not drink the Alpine Spring until March 1...or a 72 degree sunny day in latish February...I never said my principles were unassailable...:D

Clavius
01-21-2013, 18:05
A little Bell's Two Hearted Ale this evening. One of my all-time favorite beers.

stevegoz
01-21-2013, 19:55
Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.

BradleyC
01-22-2013, 20:03
Finally (after all of a week or so) downed my first FW Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout this eve. (They just released this and two other sixers in Chicago.)

Silky smooth goodness in a glass.

The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.

stevegoz
01-23-2013, 05:37
The Velvet Merlin is an excellent beer.

I went with the Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary tonight. These guys have mastered the barrel aging and blending process. I don't think any other brewery is doing what they do and FW is on top of their game IMO. I also got some Double Jack the other day that was 6 days old. Yet another excellent brew from FW.

Have you had Velvet Merkin, the barrel-aged Merlin? Outstanding. I only had a sip of it at FOBAB, but look forward to the promised wider distro this year (though I don't know if it will be bottled). I'm a huge fan of the FW anniversary beers (gotta love a beer that comes with the beer equivalent of an MSDS), Abacus/Sucaba and Parabola. Got a few of each squirreled away in the basement laundry room, er, "cellar." :)

BradleyC
01-23-2013, 06:48
Have you had Velvet Merkin, the barrel-aged Merlin? Outstanding. I only had a sip of it at FOBAB, but look forward to the promised wider distro this year (though I don't know if it will be bottled). I'm a huge fan of the FW anniversary beers (gotta love a beer that comes with the beer equivalent of an MSDS), Abacus/Sucaba and Parabola. Got a few of each squirreled away in the basement laundry room, er, "cellar." :)

I did get to try the Merkin a couple of times on draft. As you mentioned, it's outstanding. They haven't bottled it in the past but should be doing so for the first time in September. I hope "Sticky Monkey" gets bottled next.

MyOldKyDram
01-23-2013, 07:56
Not drinking it yet, but just grabbed up some Hopslam huzzah!

ebo
01-23-2013, 14:01
Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig.

smokinjoe
01-23-2013, 14:42
Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig.

I really like that one, E. My favorite of the SA Holiday Sampler.

Another Southern Tier 2XIPA for me, tonight. Still loving this beer. :yum:

MyOldKyDram
01-23-2013, 14:45
Fixing dinner and finally enjoying that first Hopslam. Delicious as ever.

smknjoe
01-23-2013, 15:21
Finally finishing off a Dogfish Head 120 IPA that I opened days ago. I don't understand the hate for this brew. It's very good. Syrupy and sweet from the heavy malt used to balance out the hops. The citrus fruity flavors from the hops are apparent without being very bitter at all. Pretty much what I have noticed with DFH 60 and 90. They do the hops right without tasting like you've swallowed a couple BC powders. Great dessert beer to be split between a few friends. It's good cold or warm.

thiemb
01-24-2013, 17:00
Drinking some FFF Zombie Dust before going out to celebrate my wife's birthday.

bucky1
01-25-2013, 05:20
A week or so ago Dawn and I were excited to see a local pub had Hopslam on tap. We ventured out with great anticipation. Purchased a couple of pints and we were both disappointed. The balance seemed off for Hopslam. I decided to give it another chance when it showed up in bottles at the local liquor store and found the bottles to be nothing like the draft we had. Hopslam was Hopslam again! Must of been something up at the pub.

This weekend in Indy Flat 12 will serve Pappy 23 Imperial Stout at a local festival. Yes, aged in Pappy 23 barrels to further promote the Pappy craze.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AaronWF
01-25-2013, 13:05
Why, Double Daisy Cutter, of course! One week old! My favorite beer made in Chicago. They keep all the hops up front and on the palate, and spare you the bitter finish. Very well done!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/26/epa8u7y2.jpg

smknjoe
01-25-2013, 15:29
Yum, sounds good!

Clavius
01-25-2013, 19:40
Just a single Hopslam tonight. Really not sure I can drink more than one of these cause they're so rich.

Special Reserve
01-26-2013, 06:13
Just a single Hopslam tonight. Really not sure I can drink more than one of these cause they're so rich.

As a rule, I'm not a big IPA guy. I had one the other night and really enjoyed it. I usually like high alcohol content ales or lagers and almost always stick with just one.

oke&coke
01-26-2013, 06:46
Opened up a couple bottles of Chimay red and blue labels that were in the fridge for the past year. Chimay was the first non budweiser type beer I ever had when I turned 21. Still as good today as it was then.

stevegoz
01-26-2013, 06:47
Why, Double Daisy Cutter, of course! One week old! My favorite beer made in Chicago. They keep all the hops up front and on the palate, and spare you the bitter finish. Very well done!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/26/epa8u7y2.jpg

Enjoyed my first one last night after an afternoon of provisioning at Capone's, West Lakeview and Half Acre (plus a delicious, beer-filled lunch at The Bad Apple)!

Also had a Six Point 3 Bean baltic porter, which is probably the most coffee-forward beer I've ever had. Interesting combo, these two beers. I got lazy and didn't rinse my beautifully laced glass after the Double Daisy; said lacing all floated up to the top of the head of the porter!

Cigar Dan
01-26-2013, 07:00
Had a (large) bottle of Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon Russian Imperial Stout. Tasty stuff that packs a pretty good punch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ebo
01-26-2013, 12:46
I'm drinking a Baltika #4. I was lucky enough to get the last 7 bottles at my local store.

hectic1
01-26-2013, 13:11
I had my neighbor beer/bourbon buddy and his family over for dinner last night...we started with Pliny the Elder, 3 Floyd's Broo Doo, and Zombie Dust. The Broo Doo has been in the refridgerator since the end of Oct and it definitely was past it's prime...the nose was flat where is used to be filled with tropical fruit...lesson, drink them fresh! In light of this I'm on a IPA buying freeze as I have about 20 bombers and a couple cases of IPA/DIPA's that need to be consumed! ;)

thiemb
01-26-2013, 13:45
Drinking some Hopslam and enjoying a relaxing day at home.

OscarV
01-26-2013, 14:07
Arcadia Ale Cocoa Loco, lots of creamy flavors.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o766/OVHOVH/coco20loco_zps055bc664.jpg

The judge and prosecutor asked for evidence, I offer you the peoples exhibit A below.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o766/OVHOVH/rsz_picture_zps22b5884b.jpg

BradleyC
01-26-2013, 19:51
One of my favorites, Sierra Bigfoot, has started to reappear. I celebrated by pulling out a 6 pack from last year. I love this stuff and its one of the few that I am willing to buy and hold onto for time. Beers change over time but this is one of the few that actually gets better. I am spoiled rotten in the fact that my local feels the same way. They stock up on this beer when its available with the intention of selling it after a year. My local has at least 12 cases of the 2012 vintage (a few of which have my name on them). I don't have to tie my money up or utilize my own storage space to drink it with some age. I also get to keep my stored cases in their walk-in. There is probably some older bottles in there also. They surprise me with those from time to time.

BradleyC
01-26-2013, 20:05
I had my neighbor beer/bourbon buddy and his family over for dinner last night...we started with Pliny the Elder, 3 Floyd's Broo Doo, and Zombie Dust. The Broo Doo has been in the refridgerator since the end of Oct and it definitely was past it's prime...the nose was flat where is used to be filled with tropical fruit...lesson, drink them fresh! In light of this I'm on a IPA buying freeze as I have about 20 bombers and a couple cases of IPA/DIPA's that need to be consumed! ;)

I guess I'm a beer nerd. I drink all IPAs/DIPAs within a week. I buy those on an as needed basis. I also only buy those types of beer when I know the bottling dates on them. If they were bottled more than a month ago or are unknown I don't buy them. Hold the bottle up to a light bulb before drinking. When they go south they start to look like a snowglobe. The hop proteins start to separate out and you see shit suspended in the liquid. A reputable store with a good beer guy is always helpful with this matter. Good stores mark down IPAs when they get close to that point so that some sucker doesn't get duped. I've seen 4 year old IPAs out on shelves. I feel sorry for whoever drinks those.

Jfevre
01-28-2013, 17:32
Nothing but Backwoods Bastard for me come winter time. It is powerful but has a high drinkability for a bourbon aged beer. Had one with dinner and one for dessert.

HP12
01-28-2013, 18:05
Had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout yesterday. Very enjoyable but would benefit from some age in the cellar IMHO.

bigtoys
01-28-2013, 19:49
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/smaller-1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130126_140844_784-1-1.jpg

Bourbon Barrel Stout
strong, heavy, chocolatey

stevegoz
01-29-2013, 13:22
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/smaller-1.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130126_140844_784-1-1.jpg

Bourbon Barrel Stout
strong, heavy, chocolatey

Great stuff; had a buddy in Madison bring me a case back in December. Can't wait for the Bourbon Barrel Barleywine to cross the southern border!

OscarV
01-29-2013, 13:33
Southern Tier 2XIPA, one of my favs.

bucky1
01-29-2013, 19:49
Gonna be a regular post for a bit...Hopslam.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

clingman71
01-29-2013, 20:48
Jackie O's dinner tonight. Pale Ale, saison, Berliner Weisse, DIPA Zythos, and Bourbon Barrel Dark Apparition. All were good, Berliner Weisse and RIS were stellar!

unclebunk
01-30-2013, 06:47
Drank a can of Threadless IPA from Finch's Beer Company (Chicago) last night. At 90 IBU's, this beer packs a fairly serious hop wallop which was pleasant enough but struck me as one dimensional compared to the Half Acre Daisy Cutter that followed. The latter was mighty fine and will be a regular, that's for sure. On to Wild Onion's Hop Slayer Double IPA tonight which I don't believe I've ever had before.

MyOldKyDram
01-30-2013, 13:51
Picked up a single Arcadia Bourbon Barrel Cereal Killer Barleywine today. Like the standard Cereal Killer, so I'll find out what this is all about here in a bit.

Clavius
01-30-2013, 17:17
A Hopslam... tasty!

MyOldKyDram
01-31-2013, 15:34
Yeah, what he said. Hopslam.

Clavius
01-31-2013, 16:52
Hopslam?

Hopslam.

WAINWRIGHT
01-31-2013, 17:02
Hopslam?

Hopslam.
It's pretty damn good,bought some more today myself!

jcg9779
02-01-2013, 12:25
Hopslam last night for me as well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/02/yda5ame7.jpg

smokinjoe
02-01-2013, 13:24
OK, it ain't 5:00 yet, but it's 4:20 and I had a monster week. So, I'm rewarding myself with a Founder's Breakfast Stout.

savagehenry
02-01-2013, 16:56
Friend gave me a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks.
Wish he had given me 2. Good stuff.

ErichPryde
02-01-2013, 17:01
Winding down with a bottle of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

smokinjoe
02-01-2013, 18:06
Friend gave me a bottle of Lagunitas Sucks.
Wish he had given me 2. Good stuff.

Picked up a six pack of that up today. Glad to hear you like it. I think there have been other good reviews here, too. I'm now looking even more forward to cracking one open.

Clavius
02-01-2013, 20:55
Ran out of Hopslam. :(

So Bell's Two Hearted it is! :)

savagehenry
02-02-2013, 06:06
Picked up a six pack of that up today. Glad to hear you like it. I think there have been other good reviews here, too. I'm now looking even more forward to cracking one open.

I haven't been much into beer lately. I can't say I liked it more than Stone IPA, especially since I only had 12oz to enjoy, but it sure hit the spot after a long work week. Let us know what you think of it.

HP12
02-02-2013, 11:31
Got hold of the annual release of Bell's Hopslam. Bottled 1/15/13. A wonderful DIPA as usual.

scubadoo97
02-02-2013, 12:45
Picked up a four pack of Deviant Dales. Very nice IPA also tried a Dogfish Raison D'Etre which was also very good

MyOldKyDram
02-02-2013, 12:56
Would you believe it if I said Hopslam?

fussychicken
02-02-2013, 13:39
All you Hopslammers are making me Jealous! My only counter is the attached pic.

Had to pop a fresh one last night in honor of the launch day for Pliny the Younger 2013. Which btw, I heard was even more of a zoo than usual this year.

HP12
02-02-2013, 14:55
All you Hopslammers are making me Jealous! My only counter is the attached pic.

Had to pop a fresh one last night in honor of the launch day for Pliny the Younger 2013. Which btw, I heard was even more of a zoo than usual this year.

Well played FC. I must counter with the attached pic which is in my fridge thanks to a Northeast mule:

:grin: PtE / HT / Hopslam / Bitter Valentine, etc...World Class DIPA!?

HP12
02-02-2013, 14:56
Would you believe it if I said Hopslam?

Why not? Enjoy if procured!

stevegoz
02-02-2013, 18:04
Well played FC. I must counter with the attached pic which is in my fridge thanks to a Northeast mule:

:grin: PtE / HT / Hopslam / Bitter Valentine, etc...World Class DIPA!?

I have a few Heady Toppers left that I picked up at the brewery six and a half months ago and they're still drinking surprisingly well!

MyOldKyDram
02-04-2013, 15:21
Founders Harvest Ale tonight. Last one I had.

HP12
02-04-2013, 15:55
Had to see what all the talk was about regarding Lagunitas Sucks. Yep, it's a good one.

stevegoz
02-04-2013, 20:31
Just finishing up a FW Parabola 2012. These guys know how to brew and how to barrel. Amazing stuff.

MyOldKyDram
02-05-2013, 15:16
Why hello there, Hopslam!

Yeti
02-05-2013, 15:17
I had a few Hopslams during the Superbowl. Man, is it ever good. Tonight is starting with a Napa Smith Hopageddon.

Wryguy
02-05-2013, 15:32
Having some Ommegang Aphrodite. A bit fruity for my taste, but a good way to start the night. Generally I'm a pretty big fan of Ommegang.

thiemb
02-05-2013, 18:40
Drinking a bomber of Revolution Double Fist DIPA.

HighInTheMtns
02-05-2013, 18:43
I'm drinking an Epic Santa Cruz Brown Ale. This has a lot more hop presence than a typical brown, kind of pushing into the black IPA range. I've had three releases so far this year, they change it up a bit each time. This one and the last have some flaked oats in the mash which gives the beer a very nice body.

WAINWRIGHT
02-05-2013, 19:11
Bent River Uncommon Stout followed up with a Ten Fidy,the stouts really seem to be showing well tonight!

stevegoz
02-05-2013, 20:43
Enjoyed the heck out of a bomber of Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn IIPA tonight. It's no wonder that Pipeworks was named best new brewery of 2012 in one site's reckoning (http://chicagoist.com/2013/02/01/pipeworks_brewing_earns_best_new_br.php)....

unclebunk
02-06-2013, 06:48
Did a little flight of beers last night: Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA, Deschutes Red Chair NWPA, O'so Hopdinger and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and back to O'so Hop Whoopin' IPA. All great in their own way and worth seeking out. I sure am glad O'so has finally made it to Illinois.

unclebunk
02-06-2013, 06:49
Enjoyed the heck out of a bomber of Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn IIPA tonight. It's no wonder that Pipeworks was named best new brewery of 2012 in one site's reckoning (http://chicagoist.com/2013/02/01/pipeworks_brewing_earns_best_new_br.php)....

Where did you get that, Steve?

stevegoz
02-06-2013, 08:49
Where did you get that, Steve?

In the 'burbs, Binny's is your best bet for Pipeworks. DG, Willowbrook and Bolingbrook all stock them. No guarantee that any Galaxy Unicorn is still out there, but a fresh batch did just release a week or two ago.

I used to go into the city to get it -- Archer Liquors and West Lakeview Liquors both have carried them for a long while. They're not as widely distributed as Revolution, which I regularly see at independent stores; Pipeworks still relies upon a pair of guys in vans making deliveries to stores.

unclebunk
02-06-2013, 09:34
Anyone have thoughts on Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic?

unclebunk
02-06-2013, 09:35
In the 'burbs, Binny's is your best bet for Pipeworks. DG, Willowbrook and Bolingbrook all stock them. No guarantee that any Galaxy Unicorn is still out there, but a fresh batch did just release a week or two ago.

I used to go into the city to get it -- Archer Liquors and West Lakeview Liquors both have carried them for a long while. They're not as widely distributed as Revolution, which I regularly see at independent stores; Pipeworks still relies upon a pair of guys in vans making deliveries to stores.

Thanks. Will look around today when I hit the Willowbrook store.

MyOldKyDram
02-06-2013, 11:17
Grabbed some Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout today. Will definitely be having one a little later today.

smknjoe
02-06-2013, 14:08
Anyone have thoughts on Racer 5 IPA from Bear Republic?

Very good stuff. It's a great "session" IPA.

MyOldKyDram
02-06-2013, 15:55
Having my Goose Island now. Beyond delicious. Never had the coffee stout before, but thinking I like it quite a bit better than the standard Bourbon County. The coffee adds great depth to a beer already lloaded with flavor.

thiemb
02-06-2013, 18:42
Pipeworks Galaxy Unicorn IIPA. One of my new favorites.

WAINWRIGHT
02-06-2013, 19:31
Broke away from my run on stouts lately and poured me up some Hopslam!

unclebunk
02-07-2013, 06:42
Broke away from my run on stouts lately and poured me up some Hopslam!

That's about where I am these days. I've had stouts, porters and Scotch ales out the wazoo for a couple of months now and, like a groundhog, feel the need to come out of my cave for a little look-around as spring approaches. Pale ales, IPA's and even lighter Mexican beers are returning to the repertoire and I look forward to the bocks and maibocks in another month or so. (Anchor makes a nice bock if you want a domestic one.)

unclebunk
02-07-2013, 06:49
Last night I downed a few bottles of O'so Hopdinger (40+ IBU's) and O'so Hop Whoopin' (90+ IBU's). Both are excellent, with the former being a cloudy, highly aromatic ale with just enough bite to satisfy. The HW dials things up a few notches and is copper clear with a nice balance of dryness and piney/citrusy flavors and aromas but not in a cloying way, as some double IPA's often are. If you can find 'em, give 'em a whirl. Perhaps not to everyone's tastes but I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Yeti
02-07-2013, 09:05
I had my first taste of the Stone Double Bastard last night. Really good stuff.

squire
02-07-2013, 09:21
Yes, the Sun is out and I'd swear they're hops in the air.

BradleyC
02-07-2013, 18:43
I picked up some Pliny today that was bottled 1/25/13. This is some pretty good stuff.

thiemb
02-07-2013, 19:43
Drank some Hopslam with dinner.

stiffchainey
02-08-2013, 04:53
So, I bougt some "Mississippi Mud" in a Deli-Store here in Bonn, and then two cans of "Moosehead", which is canadian, I guess. I am not into american beers (it is very hard to get in Germany!) and I am really looking forward to what these beers have to offer! Yeah!

squire
02-08-2013, 06:13
That's interesting, I hadn't thought much about the availability of American beers in Germany, are they expensive compared to the local brews?

stiffchainey
02-08-2013, 06:20
Depends on which brand, but yes, they are expensive. I paid for a can of Anheuser 33cl 1.50€, where I can buy a 50cl bottle of german beer for as cheap as 1€. It is really a specific market for U.S beer, I mean, you can buy JD and JB everywhere, but beer is a different thing though. Miller is pretty common here, because you can buy it at Burger King.

squire
02-08-2013, 07:25
Beer at Burger King, let me savor that thought for a moment.

stiffchainey
02-08-2013, 07:26
No beer at BK's in the US?

squire
02-08-2013, 07:50
Uh, no . . . unfortunately too many of my fellow citizens consider any alcohol to be the Devil's brew.

unclebunk
02-08-2013, 08:00
No beer at BK's in the US?

Hard to even imagine that. But truthfully, I wouldn't want Budweiser anyway. What about beer like Sam Adams? Can you get that? They're more in line with a very large micro here in the US.

stiffchainey
02-08-2013, 08:46
Never heard of Sam Adams. Will google this! Thanks a lot for the tip!

unclebunk
02-08-2013, 09:53
Never heard of Sam Adams. Will google this! Thanks a lot for the tip!

They have a wide range of beers but their flagship beer, simply called Samuel Adams Boston Lager, is available in parts of Europe and is worth trying if you stumble upon it.

AaronWF
02-08-2013, 10:18
Beer at Burger King, let me savor that thought for a moment.

I agree in theory, but then again I would never take advantage of it because I don't eat Burger King. I'm interested in drinking 'fast beer' just about as much as I'm interested in eating fast food anyway.

ebo
02-08-2013, 13:19
I'm drinking a Magic Hat Heart of Darkness Stout.

smokinjoe
02-08-2013, 13:38
Not much beer, or whiskey for that matter, this week. So, pulled a Fat Tire out of the fridge. As always this continues to be such an interesting beer. And, interesting is good for me.

unclebunk
02-08-2013, 13:46
I'm drinking a Magic Hat Heart of Darkness Stout.

But not at Burger King, I bet.:grin:

unclebunk
02-08-2013, 13:51
Not much beer, or whiskey for that matter, this week. So, pulled a Fat Tire out of the fridge. As always this continues to be such an interesting beer. And, interesting is good for me.

Been a while since I had the flagship Fat Tire beer but I've got their twelve pack sampler in the basement and may have to pull one out for my pre-dinner beverage.

MyOldKyDram
02-08-2013, 16:28
Yup...another Hopslam for me.

berto
02-09-2013, 00:06
Sierra Bigfoot Barleywine followed by Firestone Velvet Merlin.