PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

Pages : [1] 2

savagehenry
12-27-2012, 15:52
Since I indeed passed something up, and I enjoyed reading and participating in the Autumn thread, here is the winter edition.

I passed up on a VSOF from the Bourbon Heritage Collection, not realizing it was SW juice. I'll be heading back for that one.

Tucker
12-28-2012, 09:31
Got the TPS e-mail. Passed on all that Pappy (but picked up a VWFRR).

Smokewagon
12-28-2012, 19:03
Passed up on some Weller 12 year, from the same place I purchased some Old Grand Dad 114 and some BIB. They had a dozen bottles of the Weller 12, for $31.99. That's steep if you are anywhere else, but in my state it's tied for the cheapest I've found it. Also, the dozen bottles they had was more than any 3 other places combined seemed to have. I've never found more then 3 bottles sitting on a shelf.

I also passed up on some Parker's Heritage Collection (last bottle), which I've been wanting to try, but at $79.99 and it being just after x-mas I had to pass.

They also had a 20 year old bourbon that I've never seen out on a shelf but for the life of me I have just forgotten the name of as I am typing (Wasn't Pappy). [edit: I think it was Hirsch 20yr]. Again, would have loved to pulled the trigger but cost was limiting me on this trip.

I only would have gotten out the credit card if i ran across any BTAC/Pappy.

~SW

Restaurant man
12-28-2012, 22:49
Got the TPS e-mail. Passed on all that Pappy (but picked up a VWFRR).

Just happened to check my email at 11:58 am today and lo and behold one of my favorite (online) stores was releasing some VWFRR. sweet!!!! Except their stupid website kept kicking out my order because my security code didn't Match my debit card number. :rolleyes: STUPID. Yes I checked for user error. Same card and code has been used many times on the same site with no issues. Really frustrating. Only solution was to close the site and delete the email. Problem solved :grin:

oke&coke
12-28-2012, 22:57
Just happened to check my email at 11:58 am today and lo and behold one of my favorite (online) stores was releasing some VWFRR. sweet!!!! Except their stupid website kept kicking out my order because my security code didn't Match my debit card number. :rolleyes: STUPID. Yes I checked for user error. Same card and code has been used many times on the same site with no issues. Really frustrating. Only solution was to close the site and delete the email. Problem solved :grin:
I actually had the same problem. Finally took on the third or fourth try. The problem I have now is that when I look at the order on the website the VW isn't on the invoice but still shows the price as if it was. I hope it is only because they took all the VW off of the website and I still get my bottle.

Wryguy
12-29-2012, 06:25
I passed up on Handy, EC20, HP Thor, ER17. All were overpriced in my opinion, but I was in NYC which seems to have just crazy pricing unless you find get lucky and find an out-of-touch owner who happens to have amazing dusties on the shelves. Passing up bottles is nothing new, got to be selective in this booming bourbon market.

HighInTheMtns
12-29-2012, 07:51
I passed up on Handy, EC20, HP Thor, ER17. All were overpriced in my opinion, but I was in NYC which seems to have just crazy pricing unless you find get lucky and find an out-of-touch owner who happens to have amazing dusties on the shelves. Passing up bottles is nothing new, got to be selective in this booming bourbon market.
Aww come on, Thor isn't overpriced, they have to pay for all that packaging somehow.

Wryguy
12-29-2012, 08:26
Aww come on, Thor isn't overpriced, they have to pay for all that packaging somehow.

Highland Park has never impressed me, and the sight of that package on the shelf made me think of Viking kings being buried at sea with their burning ships.

thiemb
12-29-2012, 14:39
I visited a couple local liquor stores that were new to me, but not many surprises in the bourbon section other than a couple bottles of Smooth Ambler VOS 11 yrs. First time I've seen the VOS. Also passed on some BMH, WTRB, Larceny, Weller 12, OWA, WSR, and Willett Pot Still which are all fairly easy to find around here.

squire
12-29-2012, 16:03
Chicago is definitely not a Bourbon desert.

atfree
12-29-2012, 17:38
I passed on several bottles of Willett Family Estate 21yr cask strength. There were 3 different barrels available. I understand some early K&L private selections of this release were Stitzel-Weller bourbon, but I doubt the later/standard releases are. As usual, I have a hard time dropping that kind of coin on a bourbon from an unknown source.

MyOldKyDram
12-29-2012, 17:40
Definitely not SW, atfree. Those are a ryed bourbon, but that's all the info I could get on them.

atfree
12-29-2012, 18:11
Definitely not SW, atfree. Those are a ryed bourbon, but that's all the info I could get on them.

Thanks for the additional info. Let me know if you ever get the chance to try one of these bottles. Who knows...it may be worth $155.

squire
12-29-2012, 18:12
The decision is easy for me atfee, I refuse to buy a pig in a poke, especially at those high prices.

MyOldKyDram
12-29-2012, 18:14
Good newsis I don't think it's going to go anywhere fast. There's a ton of it out there. But I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

sob0728
12-29-2012, 20:13
All the BTAC at $89.99 each. Just can't pull the trigger when it is going to $100 including tax.

CaptainQ
12-29-2012, 21:05
All the BTAC at $89.99 each. Just can't pull the trigger when it is going to $100 including tax.

I wouldn't even think twice and have the Saz18 and WLW in my cart, but that's me.

ChainWhip
12-29-2012, 22:02
I wouldn't even think twice and have the Saz18 and WLW in my cart, but that's me.

What he said...

... +1

BFerguson
12-30-2012, 04:47

I want to know, but can't get up anytime soon to do anything about it. :banghead:

B

JLH3
12-30-2012, 09:02
After hearing all the acclaim for the 4RSmbLE (and since I love the regular SmB) I searched all over to find some around here and couldn't. So I called a store that I've bought Pappy from before to ask if they could get any. Next day the call and say they have it.

So I rush down to get a bottle for me and one for my dad for his bday. Only to find out that it's the 2011, not the 2012. :smiley_acbt:

I'm sure the 2011 is good, but everything I've read said it's not the 2012. And I'm not going to spend over $200 on two bottles of the wrong bourbon.

The store is going to call to see if they can get the 2012. I hope so.

matthewdc
12-30-2012, 10:49
The other day, passed on a PHC 1st Edition and A.H.H. 16 yr (gold foil)... Store owner was asking way too much, I think. $375 for the gold foil and around $400 for the PHC. Pretty cool to see them out in the wild but geez, way too expensive.

Curtisc84
12-30-2012, 16:14
After hearing all the acclaim for the 4RSmbLE (and since I love the regular SmB) I searched all over to find some around here and couldn't. So I called a store that I've bought Pappy from before to ask if they could get any. Next day the call and say they have it.

So I rush down to get a bottle for me and one for my dad for his bday. Only to find out that it's the 2011, not the 2012. :smiley_acbt:

I'm sure the 2011 is good, but everything I've read said it's not the 2012. And I'm not going to spend over $200 on two bottles of the wrong bourbon.

The store is going to call to see if they can get the 2012. I hope so.

I see the 2011 quite a bit. I haven't seen the 2012 in months. Good luck with your search.

grantsi
12-31-2012, 10:23
Just passed up a bottle of ORVW 10/107 ( $79 ) and PVW 20 ( $229 ) at Calandros in Baton Rouge...those prices are way too rich for my blood. Disappointed I passed up the entire BTAC run in early December at the same store.

HighInTheMtns
12-31-2012, 10:33
Just passed up a bottle of ORVW 10/107 ( $79 ) and PVW 20 ( $229 ) at Calandros in Baton Rouge...those prices are way too rich for my blood. Disappointed I passed up the entire BTAC run in early December at the same store.
Don't be disappointed. If you'd bought those bottles for those prices the real disappointment would come when you tasted them and realized you'd been had.

squire
12-31-2012, 12:22
That's surprising Grant. Louisiana has some well stocked stores with competitive prices all over the State.

bad_scientist
12-31-2012, 12:31
The other day, passed on a PHC 1st Edition and A.H.H. 16 yr (gold foil)... Store owner was asking way too much, I think. $375 for the gold foil and around $400 for the PHC. Pretty cool to see them out in the wild but geez, way too expensive.

Would that be the store off the Dupont Circle metro?

Trey Manthey
12-31-2012, 12:42
That's surprising Grant. Louisiana has some well stocked stores with competitive prices all over the State.

Not true anymore. Over the last year, whiskey prices (Van Winkle in particular) have increased around the board due to the largest distributor (Republic) catching on to the demand and limited supply and increasing their prices to the retailers. Unfortunately, this has led many of the retailers to jump on the bandwagon as well. Can't say I blame them...I just feel sorry for the poor saps who are actually paying the prices.

Out of all the stores where I've purchased PVW over the years (Martin Wine Cellar, Cuban Liquor, Calandro's, Churchhill's, Dorignac's), all of them have raised their prices to AT LEAST 2x MSRP, and in the case of the last two, 4x to 5x MSRP.

I'd love to support our local economy, but unfortunately, with the price increases I've started buying everything over the web. Kentucky, New Jersey, and California see most of my alcohol budget now.

squire
12-31-2012, 12:53
Sorry to hear that Trey, the last time I shopped in a LA store was a year ago and the prices on BTAC were still reasonable. Dorignac's you say? They used to be quite reasonable, better than Martin's. When the Van Winkle Old Time rye was being discontinued we went down there and got the last one Martin's had and the last two at Dorignac's, prices on all three were reasonable, but, that was awhile back.

compliance
12-31-2012, 16:38
Passed on FRSB 2012 and 2011, High West 21yr rye 750ml for $135 at one place and the 375ml bottle for $90 at another.

skidfive
12-31-2012, 16:48
oops, posted in the old thread.

Passed on 3 WTKS pewter tops from 01 at $43 a piece. Picked up one but will go back for the others later.

matthewdc
12-31-2012, 17:39
Would that be the store off the Dupont Circle metro?

Yep, that's the one!

UncleJohnsBarrel
01-02-2013, 11:55
Got an email from a local store advertising some leftover stock of BTAC. I almost jumped at the Stagg, but ended up opting to save the cash for my wallet and wait for a bottle coming out in early 2013. Gotta start being smarter about whiskey buying/budgets in 2013, but hopefully this wasn't a bad decision.

squire
01-02-2013, 12:24
Think I'll be watching my budget as well.

jtexaslonestar
01-02-2013, 15:24
EC18. Been a while since I ran across one...maybe I should go back.

Old Lamplighter
01-02-2013, 16:27
EC18. Been a while since I ran across one...maybe I should go back.

I passed up same last week for the umpteenth time from a local retailer pvt bottling. On top of it all, the retailer now has EC20 at $145 which I suppose justified said retailer to raise the EC18 still on the shelf from $49 to $59...which made me a bit mad. So, I turned away again.

squire
01-02-2013, 16:32
I don't know which irritates me more, him raising the price, or knowing that he knows that I know he did.

Old Lamplighter
01-02-2013, 17:25
i don't know which irritates me more, him raising the price, or knowing that he knows that i know he did.

absolutely agree!

MauiSon
01-03-2013, 10:03
I can't understand why raising the price is irritating. The retailer can't replace it and his investment in the bottle is dead money until it's sold - why shouldn't he seek some compensation for his increased carrying cost? You aren't obliged to buy.

squire
01-03-2013, 10:12
Because his cost wasn't increased, just his desire to gig me. Marking up goods after they are on the shelf is a clear disregard for the integrity of customer relations. He has a right to mark it up, I have a right to shop elsewhere.

He would have made more money by keeping me as a customer.

smokinjoe
01-03-2013, 11:45
I wonder if that would be a case where if you were a good customer of the guy, and you mentioned your surprise at the increase, if he would then sell it to you at the original price. If you're just a Schmo off the street, you're paying the higher price. However, if when you made mention of the increase and your repeat buys, and he didn't do anything then...then he probably doesn't get my future biz. Or, he better give me a good story. ;)

BTW, I have no problem with retailers raising prices from the original stickers on select items. Just like I don't have problems when they lower them.

Old Lamplighter
01-03-2013, 12:09
I wonder if that would be a case where if you were a good customer of the guy, and you mentioned your surprise at the increase, if he would then sell it to you at the original price. If you're just a Schmo off the street, you're paying the higher price. However, if when you made mention of the increase and your repeat buys, and he didn't do anything then...then he probably doesn't get my future biz. Or, he better give me a good story. ;)

BTW, I have no problem with retailers raising prices from the original stickers on select items. Just like I don't have problems when they lower them.

It did cross my mind as I'm a pretty regular & known customer of this establishment. I guess I've been sitting on the fence so long, it just didn't cross my mind while there. I was a bit taken aback as well as slightly amused since he's been sitting on 40-50 shelf bottles for a while now. If they didn't move at $49, I can't see them running out the door at $59...lol. Maybe he figures once people realize this is the last EC18, folks will be happy to pay $59 as opposed to $145 for its replacement... & $400-500 more profit. As slow as EC moves in these parts, I just can't see it happening though.

MauiSon
01-03-2013, 18:42
Because his cost wasn't increased, just his desire to gig me. Marking up goods after they are on the shelf is a clear disregard for the integrity of customer relations. He has a right to mark it up, I have a right to shop elsewhere.

He would have made more money by keeping me as a customer.

His cost increases every day the bottle sits unsold, if you don't realize that, you know nothin' about business.

portwood
01-03-2013, 19:06
His cost increases every day the bottle sits unsold ...

Absolutely true. However, when an item isn't selling the more logical strategy is to reduce the price in order to move it and create cash flow to buy inventory that will sell at a more desirable profit margin. In most cases* raising the price will most likely ensure the item stays on the shelf even longer, thus tying up capital (a cost) even further.

* there rare cases of ("luxury") goods that actually have higher demand the higher the price goes (VW and BTAC seem to fit in this category).

squire
01-03-2013, 20:49
I assure you Sir, there are a good many things I do not know, but I can spot a trend. In my 35 years of practicing Transactional Law we rarely ever saw a liquor store go bankrupt. When we did it was invariably owned by a fellow who didn't take care of his customers.

berto
01-04-2013, 17:32
PHC '12 and OF Birthday '12. Prices were ok I just don't know if either bottle is what I want. Reviews on the PHC '12 are all over the place and $90 is more than I want to gamble right now.

wmpevans
01-04-2013, 17:46
Never know until you try them.:grin:

I happen to like both of these bottles, and the PHC 12 is a GREAT pour. $90 is a little steep, but if you haven't tried it you won't be disappointed.

Ejmharris
01-04-2013, 17:53
Never know until you try them.:grin:

I happen to like both of these bottles, and the PHC 12 is a GREAT pour. $90 is a little steep, but if you haven't tried it you won't be disappointed.

PHC '12 and OF Birthday '12. Prices were ok I just don't know if either bottle is what I want. Reviews on the PHC '12 are all over the place and $90 is more than I want to gamble right now.

I bought two PHC 12's after the first bottle. One will be going to a neighbor but getting a back up for the first was something I wanted to do. It is a great pour an One of the few I have decided are worth the premium.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

MyOldKyDram
01-04-2013, 18:03
Bulleit 10 yo at $39.99.

Yeti
01-04-2013, 20:05
Finally found a 4RSB LE 2012 but couldn't pull the trigger. Holding out in hopes of finding the SmB LE.

smokinjoe
01-04-2013, 20:14

I love both bottles. Not sure about PHC reviews being "all over the place", though. From what I've seen, it ranges from "great", to "very good". I know some would like a more full finish, but I can't think of a "negative" review...The OFBB '12 has been one of my favorite recent bourbons that I have tried, BTW.

berto
01-05-2013, 14:15
Y'all are doing a good job on encouraging me to buy the PHC '12 and the OFBB '12. I appreciate it.

smokinjoe
01-05-2013, 14:46
Y'all are doing a good job on encouraging me to buy the PHC '12 and the OFBB '12. I appreciate it.

Oh, we can help you spend your money!!! Lord knows y'all helped me spend mine! :D
:toast:

squire
01-05-2013, 14:56
We're here to serve berto.

erborman
01-05-2013, 15:41
saw a ritt 21 and a 25 on the shelf. i think i am going to stare at them for a month before i take the plunge!

Trey Manthey
01-07-2013, 03:28
saw a ritt 21 and a 25 on the shelf. i think i am going to stare at them for a month before i take the plunge!

Why not just buy them now so they will be safe in your bunker? If you don't they might end up in someone else's bunker.

Bunker.

thiemb
01-07-2013, 19:20
Passed on a lot of goodies today, but they've been on the shelf for a while now. Ritt 25, THH '12, PHC '12, OFBB '12, and FR LE SmB 2011 to name a few. I'll probably go back for the PHC after pay day.

smknjoe
01-07-2013, 19:40
What is THH '12 and OFBB '12?

squire
01-07-2013, 19:45
Thomas H. Handy and Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

ChainWhip
01-07-2013, 19:47
What is THH '12 and OFBB '12?

Here's the secret decoder ring:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

EDIT: interesting, THH (Thomas H. Handy) isn't on the abbreviation post

smknjoe
01-07-2013, 19:55
Thanks for the info. I'm never sure if it's Old Forester or Old Fitzgerald. I've heard good things about both.

squire
01-07-2013, 19:59
Of the current bottlings Joe, Forester is your best bet.

z327
01-07-2013, 20:04
THH 12 at $65 x 5 in Longview Texas.

smknjoe
01-07-2013, 20:36
Here's the secret decoder ring:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

EDIT: interesting, THH (Thomas H. Handy) isn't on the abbreviation post

I don't see CHET in there either but I guess that's Colonel Taylor. I have seen that around town a few times (not the Tornado edition.) Is it worth picking up compared to maybe a BTAC?

compliance
01-07-2013, 20:39
I don't see CHET in there either but I guess that's Colonel Taylor. I have seen that around town a few times (not the Tornado edition.) Is it worth picking up compared to maybe a BTAC?
it's not even close to the BTAC in quality

ChainWhip
01-07-2013, 20:44
I like the Tornado but its not as good as BTAC - haven't had any of the other CEHT's though.

smknjoe
01-07-2013, 20:53
I think it's called E.H. Taylor Small Batch with a yellow vintage looking label.

thiemb
01-07-2013, 20:56

I've tried the CEHT Tornado, Barrel Proof and the SmB and I'd take any of the BTAC over any of the CEHT. The Tornado is my favorite but I think they're all over priced.

T Comp
01-07-2013, 20:57

it's not even close to the BTAC in quality

I like the Tornado but its not as good as BTAC - haven't had any of the other CEHT's though.

There are people here that would disagree. You know the old song "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Gotta find out that "worth" yourself :grin:.

petrel800
01-09-2013, 12:03
Passed up a bunch of the Mitchers 10 year stuff, some WhistlePig, 09 10 and 12 Birthday Bourbon and a good bit of EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Rye and Single Barrel. I did get excited, on the bottom shelf, there was a EH Taylor Old Sour Mash tube, glad I opened it though, it had Tornado Survivor in it, I have plenty of that at home. I definitely would have left with the Sour Mash one though if it had of been in there. Glad I opened it. I also stopped at another location and left 2 bottles of the 10 year Bulleit Bourbon on the shelf. 44 bucks was a little expensive for what I have read about it.

VAGentleman
01-09-2013, 12:24
There are people here that would disagree. You know the old song "one man's ceiling is another man's floor". Gotta find out that "worth" yourself :grin:.

I find myself reaching for the CEHT Sour Mash, Tornado and original Single Barrel much more than any of my BTAC's

tanstaafl2
01-09-2013, 12:43
Passed on several rather dusty bottles (not old I don't think, just very dusty) of OGD 114, including 2 in a box, for $22.99. Thought about picking one up given the praise shown here for it but it seemed a bit pricey based on my memory of the discussion that it was such a bargain. Of course $22.99 is not bad for a 114 proof whiskey and I see it now on TPS for $21.99 so I guess that is in the ballpark.

Based on the dust I expect I can always get one later!

smknjoe
01-09-2013, 12:48
Passed on several rather dusty bottles (not old I don't think, just very dusty) of OGD 114, including 2 in a box, for $22.99. Thought about picking one up given the praise shown here for it but it seemed a bit pricey based on my memory of the discussion that it was such a bargain. Of course $22.99 is not bad for a 114 proof whiskey and I see it now on TPS for $21.99 so I guess that is in the ballpark.

I don't think it moves off the shelf too fast. Around here $22 is right on. The regular OGD is $10.50.

smknjoe
01-09-2013, 12:50
I find myself reaching for the CEHT Sour Mash, Tornado and original Single Barrel much more than any of my BTAC's

I might give it a shot. I thought it was priced at $60-$70, but I think it's closer to $35-$40.

MauiSon
01-09-2013, 12:55

True until false.

Every day, I think, 'Should I get another $20 EC12 or another $34 Blanton's Original? I could drink these til the cows come home.' Then I think, 'If that were true, why haven't I gone back and opened a single second bottle, yet?' Hmm.

[purely poetic post]

tanstaafl2
01-09-2013, 13:20
True until false.

Every day, I think, 'Should I get another $20 EC12 or another $34 Blanton's Original? I could drink these til the cows come home.' Then I think, 'If that were true, why haven't I gone back and opened a single second bottle, yet?' Hmm.

[purely poetic post]

True indeed. Although if it isn't there next time I expect I can find something already at home to drown my sorrows in!

michaelturtle1
01-09-2013, 17:19
I passed up a "small batch collection" I think it has bakers, bookers, basil Hayden and knob creek in some sort of wooden display cabinet...oddly enough it is the 2nd one I have seen in a ghetto liquor store

awachatz
01-09-2013, 17:27
Passed on some Rittenhouse 25, 129 proof THH, PHC gold label, and PHC Cognac. All at the same store.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

squire
01-09-2013, 17:27
I'm told you can also pick up a genuine Rolex in the ghetto, cheap.

michaelturtle1
01-09-2013, 17:33
I'm told you can also pick up a genuine Rolex in the ghetto, cheap.

The stores in the "ghetto" in my area that do not have dusties have the same 6 bottles Of bourbon so to see something like that collection for almost $200.00 behind bullet proof glass is odd to me.. And yes, "Rolexes" are also plentiful

Curtisc84
01-10-2013, 19:13
I passed up a "small batch collection" I think it has bakers, bookers, basil Hayden and knob creek in some sort of wooden display cabinet...oddly enough it is the 2nd one I have seen in a ghetto liquor store

Is this the wooden box with Bakers, Bookers, and Basil Hayden with the saying "the proof is in the bourbon" on it?

michaelturtle1
01-10-2013, 19:21
Is this the wooden box with Bakers, Bookers, and Basil Hayden with the saying "the proof is in the bourbon" on it?

It also had knob creek in it... It was in a wooden display that was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't look at it up close

thiemb
01-10-2013, 20:37
Stopped by Binny's and saw the EWSB 2003 for the first time. I was looking for something else though so I passed today, but I'm sure I'll grab some eventually. It was Binnys so I passed on a lot of other good stuff too, but nothing out of the ordinary.

unclebunk
01-11-2013, 06:35
Passed up good ol' FR1B at $28 a bottle simply because of the amount of single malt scotch I was buying at the time. Heretical, I know!:blush:

smokinjoe
01-11-2013, 06:43
Passed up good ol' FR1B at $28 a bottle simply because of the amount of single malt scotch I was buying at the time. Heretical, I know!:blush:

Hank, your whiskirexia nervosa is taking on a mutant form, that there is no known cure for!! :D

unclebunk
01-11-2013, 07:01
Hank, your whiskirexia nervosa is taking on a mutant form, that there is no known cure for!! :D

I know, Joe. If they developed some sort of flu-like vaccine for my affliction, I'm afraid I'd have to go into hiding to avoid it. WN and all of its mutant permutations is one disease I'm happy to live with!:grin:

icehocey77
01-11-2013, 11:34
3 Willett 21's and 3 2012 Handy's. Might have pulled the trigger if there was just 1 left. Might go back this weekend ;)

jwacky
01-11-2013, 14:04
I passed up EVERYTHING at the local BevMo, today. Wife called to see if I'd like to meet for lunch. Yes, of course. But really, I'd planned on just walking the aisles to see if anything new had come in, perhaps the new release EWSB.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 14:38
Was offered and passed on the Bulleit 10 today. I think I will try to find a place to try this one before committing to buying it. Might even compare it to the standard FR SB or small batch and see if it is worth the price difference first based on the reviews to date.

smokinjoe
01-11-2013, 18:34
Was offered and passed on the Bulleit 10 today. I think I will try to find a place to try this one before committing to buying it. Might even compare it to the standard FR SB or small batch and see if it is worth the price difference first based on the reviews to date.

Good news! You can have it at the next GBS Meet-up in February!! I just picked up a bottle of it an hour ago, and after lemon-pepper, The Boss, and Ranchilada Wings, 6 different beers, a Wild Turkey, Maker's, and 2 cigars...I can tell you...that...it's....OK!!!!!!! :crazy:

dementedavenger
01-11-2013, 19:55
Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09. It's my understanding that the SW juice is Batch #13 and below. I have a bottle of Batch #8 and, truth be told, I have not be very impressed by it. Also, I paid a total of $77.18 for that bottle, so paying a 50% premium from the price I already paid for something I'm not a big fan of doesn't make much sense.

fishnbowljoe
01-11-2013, 22:15

Kind of twisted logic, but understandable considering the circumstances. :slappin:

unclebunk
01-12-2013, 06:48
I just picked up a bottle of it an hour ago, and after lemon-pepper, The Boss, and Ranchilada Wings, 6 different beers, a Wild Turkey, Maker's, and 2 cigars...I can tell you...that...it's....OK!!!!!!! :crazy:

Are you back on your health kick again, Joe? Sounds like an eventful evening!:lol:

icehocey77
01-12-2013, 12:20
It's amazing that after thanksgiving none of my places had anything and now in the past two days I've turned down THH, Willet 21, FR LE SmB, and Parkers 6th 68.95%. My wallet is going to be quite thin once I make some decisions. Also saw some EWSB 2003 and 111 Whistlepig for the first time.

tanstaafl2
01-12-2013, 14:00
Considered but passed on a 1L bottle of the Dickel Rye today. Seemed overly spendy at $42 (although this is typically a more expensive store). Might look for a 750ml in one of the bigger and usually less expensive locations.

Old Lamplighter
01-12-2013, 19:41
Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09.

WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%*&#*^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.

dementedavenger
01-12-2013, 20:51
WTH kind of sales tax rate you got there??? I thought I paid a huge rate @ 9.75%...but, $22 & change?...#%*&#*^!!! Holy Cow!!! Not sure I could afford to drink there...or have to drink cheap vodka.

20.5% plus a $3.77 per liter tax that's pro-rated ($2.83 per 750ml). This is the result of deregulating the state out of the business through a boondoggle law that Costco and Kroger, among others, promoted to voters last year. The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

michaelturtle1
01-13-2013, 06:23
Passed on a ton of Jeffers Creek 6 yr 80 proof.. The light yellow color was very uninspiring and a bunch if willett 7 yr bourbon at $47.77 before tax I didn't see the value in it

ChainWhip
01-13-2013, 06:28
The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

I think the taxes have always been that high (not that it sucks any less) - the price increases are really coming from the distributors right now.

BFerguson
01-13-2013, 07:17
passed on the Dickel Rye and Bulleit 10yr. Got to crack a bottle of the Bulleit for sampling purposes with the manager, another reason to make friends with your whiskey monger, decent, but nothing special to get excited over. Pretty one dimensional to me.

Also passed on the Costco Kirkland, and anything else they had. while the prices are good, the standard selection does nothing for me. But the do have some wines that strike my interest.

B

TheRod
01-13-2013, 11:17
Passed on two bottles of JPS18 Batch #17 today. Shelf price was $93.99, but after taxes in Washington that equals $116.09. It's my understanding that the SW juice is Batch #13 and below. I have a bottle of Batch #8 and, truth be told, I have not be very impressed by it. Also, I paid a total of $77.18 for that bottle, so paying a 50% premium from the price I already paid for something I'm not a big fan of doesn't make much sense.

is this true? I've never heard this. Does the label still say "Aged in SW Barrels" on batches after 13?

Old Lamplighter
01-13-2013, 12:25
20.5% plus a $3.77 per liter tax that's pro-rated ($2.83 per 750ml). This is the result of deregulating the state out of the business through a boondoggle law that Costco and Kroger, among others, promoted to voters last year. The taxes are so high in order to make up for the lost revenue that the state previously generated by controlling the distribution and sale of all liquor.

OMG....more gratitude for being in TN than I may have shown previously.

MyOldKyDram
01-13-2013, 12:28
First I've ever heard of that claim.

jwacky
01-15-2013, 09:43
Nothing, crazy, but was deciding between a bottle of EWSB 2012 and Bernheim Wheat... went with the EWSB.

jersey12
01-15-2013, 11:39
Saw a bulleit 10 year for the first time today but had to pass at $48. Not sure how high that is since this is my first sighting but at twice the price of the regular Bulleit, it'd have to be wildly better/different to justify the purchase.

SFS
01-15-2013, 14:58
2X OFBB (2008 bottling)
2X CEHT Single Barrel BIB (this is the one that's unfiltered, right?)
2X CEHT Rye

Ejmharris
01-15-2013, 15:06
2X OFBB (2008 bottling)
2X CEHT Single Barrel BIB (this is the one that's unfiltered, right?)
2X CEHT Rye

Not sure on the SB CEHT but the barrel proof is in filtered for sure.

Mike

UncleJohnsBarrel
01-15-2013, 17:23
Passed on some I.W. Harper from 83' mainly due to its low proof (80), I want to do some research about the I.W. Harper stuff and whether there may be higher proof bottlings out there to find. The store I was in had a few 750ml bottles of I.W. Harper so I will probably go back to get one.

squire
01-15-2013, 22:42
I would prefer the 100 proof but the 80 is no slouch if the price is reasonable. Harper from that time was a very pleasant whisky that downplayed the rye element in the mashbill while accenting the caramel/butterscotch notes. If you do choose to buy one of those 80s I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Special Reserve
01-16-2013, 01:47
The BHC IWH at 80 proof is very good delightful bourbon. It won't overwhelm you senses but it will sure please them.

matthewdc
01-16-2013, 07:02
I actually just recently found a 1986 200ml bottle of IW Harper at 86 proof.

Passed on some I.W. Harper from 83' mainly due to its low proof (80), I want to do some research about the I.W. Harper stuff and whether there may be higher proof bottlings out there to find. The store I was in had a few 750ml bottles of I.W. Harper so I will probably go back to get one.

michaelturtle1
01-16-2013, 11:55
CEHT Tornado x3 $79.99
CEHT Single Barrel x3 $72.99
'12 stagg $99.99
'10 ER17 $76.00
'11 ER17 $78.00
2009/2010 BT exp collection $85.00 each

Hit about 20 stores today and was really surprised by the lack of bourbon in some of the stores.. Also came across a huge amount of Canadian Whiskey dusties, I guess people have already poached all the dusty bourbons and left behind all the Canadian stuff.

squire
01-16-2013, 13:16
We use Canadians quite a bit for cocktails and if those bottles are collecting dust the merchant might entertain a discounted offer.

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 15:57
Still seeing a few bottles of the first dump of PHC12 on the shelf at $79.99. I have several so not tempted at present.

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 16:10
Also saw the WSR for $10.99 here in Atlanta. I don't usually look for WSR but it seemed like a really low price. Is that pretty typical?

Special Reserve
01-16-2013, 16:29
Also saw the WSR for $10.99 here in Atlanta. I don't usually look for WSR but it seemed like a really low price. Is that pretty typical?

It's about twice that in MI.

SFS
01-16-2013, 16:36
$20.99 plus tax here in a store yesterday. If I could get it for $11, I'd buy a case, even though I have a slight preference for the OWA and the Weller 12.

tanstaafl2
01-16-2013, 20:22
Perhaps it was a close out although it wasn't marked as such. The 1.75 was $23.99. I thought it seemed lower than I remember.

HighInTheMtns
01-16-2013, 21:59
Those family size bottles look even more attractive! I'd buy a case too.

AaronWF
01-17-2013, 14:31
I thought this was sooooooo last year. Except for the prices, I mean.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif:bigeyes:http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bis.gif:shocked:

ChainWhip
01-17-2013, 14:51
Nice find - you passed them all up?

Edit: I don't think I could walk away from that without some damage to my CC

smknjoe
01-17-2013, 15:35
I thought this was sooooooo last year. Except for the prices, I mean.
:shocked::shocked::bigeyes::bis::shocked:

What, multiple V dubs? I'm on a waiting list just to get one ORVW 10...this fall...

AaronWF
01-17-2013, 15:39
Nice find - you passed them all up?

Edit: I don't think I could walk away from that without some damage to my CC

I left with an ORVW. The last time I bought a Lot B it was $42 and I didn't like it.

MyOldKyDram
01-17-2013, 17:09
Not outrageous. I'd probably grab an ORVW at that price.

Painkiller
01-17-2013, 17:37
Well as I created my own separate thread on this already, I will chime in that I passed on a Four Roses 2008 Mariage 'cause I didn't want to pony up the $90. My mistake; I wil be getting it after all.

Bottoms up!

grantsi
01-17-2013, 18:47
You're in Chicago....mind sharing where the lot b is?

petrel800
01-17-2013, 19:38
Passed on an ETL Private Selection, price was solid, but I went with a Willet Family 4 year bourbon instead.

RVTsteve
01-17-2013, 19:53
Passed on a 22yr Willet Rye at... $440! :bigeyes: and from a guy who doesn't really price gouge but maybe usually tacks on a couple of points over retail.
If I understood him right it's supposedly the first Willet that made it to California that he had stashed away in the back and decided to put on the shelf now.

Clavius
01-17-2013, 19:56
Passed on some CEHT Small Batch today. I want to try it but not sure I want to spend $40 on it.

DaveOfAtl
01-17-2013, 20:12
Passed on some CEHT Small Batch today. I want to try it but not sure I want to spend $40 on it.

I really hated it. I didn't even finish the glass that I had, which never happens. I won't be buying a bottle.

qman22
01-18-2013, 05:49
I really hated it. I didn't even finish the glass that I had, which never happens. I won't be buying a bottle.

I have a bottle of this. It has gotten better after being open a while, but I'm still not too crazy about it. I won't be buying another

matthewdc
01-18-2013, 06:21
Passed on a bottle of 4Rs LE SmB 2011. may go back and get it so I can compare with the LE 2012.

thiemb
01-19-2013, 21:57
Passed on some Bulleit 10, JPS 18, ER17 '10, THH '09, FR LE SmB 2011, OFBB '12 in my searching today.

Phil T
01-20-2013, 15:16
Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.

p_elliott
01-21-2013, 07:00
Yesterday passed on '12 FR's LE SB for $100, and WTAS for $130. I loves me some of the Four Roses, but a hundo is just too much. The American Spirit is a total unknown, so I passed.

I would have passed on both of those for those prices.

Parkersback
01-21-2013, 11:24
I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?

squire
01-21-2013, 11:31
I'd like to here more about that one as well, the price is getting down to my curiosity range.

thiemb
01-21-2013, 12:19
I'd like to here more about that one as well, the price is getting down to my curiosity range.

I've got a bottle and I probably won't be getting another one. I've had a couple pours and its got some interesting spices to it, but to me its dry and chalky. I found some sweeter notes with a little water. It's still a new bottle though so I'm hoping that it will open up some.

mosugoji64
01-21-2013, 13:20
I saw the new EH Taylor Small Batch BIB for 39.99, but have had trouble finding any reviews. Has anyone here had it?

It's not the most complex whiskey I've tried, but it does have a lot going on and tastes very good. If you've had the Tornado or Barrel Proof, you'll know roughly what to expect from the profile. I think the price is about right and picked up a second bottle.

drunk
01-21-2013, 14:05

It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve

rjboatwright
01-21-2013, 17:58
It hasn't gotten much love around here, but I really like it. The color is amazing. It has to be the darkest 7 year old I've seen. The nose isn't special, but the palette is oily and very much Buffalo Trace, but on a good night I get some woody, dark cherry, Stagg-like notes, along with a touch of the Old Taylor butterscotch.

It's been almost a year since I've had the Tornado, so I can't compare the two. I had refused to pay $75 for any of the previous editions, but they got me at this price. I'll definitely be picking up more of these.

-Steve

Thats really good to hear. I have also been considering picking one up and I think you just convinced me. I would love to find something with more than a touch of the butterscotch though. Guess I could just buy some of the candy and put it in there myself. LOL!

tanstaafl2
01-22-2013, 13:54
Seeing more of the Old Medley 12yo 86.8 proof bourbon. Don't know much about it and at $50+ I haven't been inclined to buy. I presume it is another NDP?

ChainWhip
01-22-2013, 14:31
Seeing more of the Old Medley 12yo 86.8 proof bourbon. Don't know much about it and at $50+ I haven't been inclined to buy. I presume it is another NDP?

Sure looks that way:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19077

SFS
01-22-2013, 18:06
OFBB 2005
Sam Houston, Very Small Batch, 10 year (the one with 1836 at the bottom of the label), forgot to note proof
Sam Houston, Very Small Batch, NAS, 85.6 proof
4R SmB from about 2007 (gift set with an engraved glass and a muddle stick)

MrAtomic
01-22-2013, 21:14
I passed up this year's Birthday Bourbon at more than one store. It was priced around $55, which is at least $10 more than I'm used to paying for OFBB. I generally buy a bottle every year, first of all because its profile is always different, second, because it's easily found, and finally, because OFBB seems like a bargain compared to other annual releases like BTAC. But at over $50, it's a tougher sell, which is a shame.

Hell, I'll probably go back and buy it, anyway. I really appreciate that there's no Van Winkle/BTAC silliness surrounding OFBB, and I've certainly enjoyed some previous versions. Of course, there've been some stinkers, too...

Yeah.

tanstaafl2
01-23-2013, 06:06
Sure looks that way:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19077

Ah! Now that you post the link I remember reading this. Don't know why search failed me. I figured it had to be NDP.

MyOldKyDram
01-23-2013, 13:05
Newish stuff seen today (and passed on)...

JD Unaged Rye
Jacobs Ghost
Old Medley 12
Dickel Rye
Bulleit 10
Artfully Aged Basil Hayden

michaelturtle1
01-23-2013, 13:13
Passed up a Wasmunds bourbon Barrel Kit, if it was rye I might have been tempted..

Ejmharris
01-23-2013, 14:57
Passed up a Wasmunds bourbon Barrel Kit, if it was rye I might have been tempted..

Don't be tempted even by the rye. I bought the rye kit in 2011. It made awful whiskey. It came out with a very greenish brown tint. I am pretty sure the barrel was only toasted. I made two attempts, one with the rye and one with a MBR block dog. Both end products were worse than the white dogs.

Now, I will qualify I did make a barrel aged manhattan in the barrel. It had been about 10 months since I last aged anything in it so it needed a little work to get it to hold liquid again, but the end result was quite nice. I will do it again, maybe this week. I used an OF 1849 for the bourbon in the manhattan.

Mike

petrel800
01-23-2013, 15:36
I passed on some of the old medley stuff for 55 bucks, some of the Jack Daniels clear liquid, and 6 bottles of the Jeffersons 18 (batch 16 I believe) for $89. They should just put up a this is pappy sign, I'm sure it would fly off the shelves. They've had it for awhile.

p_elliott
01-24-2013, 09:22
Newish stuff seen today (and passed on)...

JD Unaged Rye
Jacobs Ghost
Old Medley 12
Dickel Rye
Bulleit 10
Artfully Aged Basil Hayden

The Jacobs Ghost is not too bad a lite sipper. Someone I won't front them off brought a bottle they had been previewed to the gazebo.

smknjoe
01-24-2013, 15:13
Saw some Old Forester Birthday for $60 and kept looking.

SFS
01-24-2013, 17:07
1x 2003 EWSB (first one I've seen, and there was only one, so apparently it's selling here)
1x Son of Bourye ($49)

and not bourbon, but

3x High West 21 YR Rocky Mountain Rye ($130)

ChainWhip
01-24-2013, 17:08
3x High West 21 YR Rocky Mountain Rye ($130)

750ml bottles I take it?

SFS
01-24-2013, 17:10
Yes, and for the Son of Bourye as well.

Did it come in handles or something?

ChainWhip
01-24-2013, 17:31
Haven't seen many 750's of the 21, mostly 375's.

(Based on price, should've guessed it was a fifth though)

bourbonandbacon
01-24-2013, 17:33
no, but pretty sure high west releases a decent amount of 375ml bottles of certain products

Smokewagon
01-24-2013, 18:09
Passed up on a BTAC Thomas H Handy tonight. It is the last bottle of BTAC they have left, as I bought the other two (WLW & GTS). I'm on the fence about it. My thinking is if I am spending that kind of $ I want it to have more age on it. It's lasted this long on the shelf, I could always go back for it I suppose.

~SW

OutlawSW
01-24-2013, 19:40
Passed on 3 Ritt 25's, at 2 1/4, too rich for my blood.

compliance
01-24-2013, 21:28
Passed on the Van Winkle 23yo decanter set for $9500.00. Oh craigslist :rolleyes:

Brisko
01-25-2013, 12:04
I don't know if this really counts but I noticed that Dickel prices seemed higher than I remember, at least at one store I frequent. Shelf prices of $26.99 for #12, $24.99 for #8, and the rye was $21.99, although they're having a three-day sale through tomorrow. What got my attention initially was the #8, which I can't recall seeing here locally before. The second thing that struck me was that even with a sale price of $21.99 on the #8, it's more than I paid for the #12 elsewhere a few months ago. I may need to shop around.

CohibaJoe
01-25-2013, 12:59
Friend called me and was at a Local NJ store...Passed up Pappy 12yr $60, 15yr $110 and 20yr $160. What's up with these prices?
The store owner said there was a Price Increase? Are they Blowing Smoke or is this 2012/2013 Prices?

squire
01-26-2013, 16:20
Those Dickel prices seem high. No. 12 goes for $17.49 around here.

michaelturtle1
01-26-2013, 16:44
A truck load of standard dusties in my area 86 proof old Forester, 86 proof old grand dad, Bonded Dants, and 80 proof Old Taylor's. Also passed on a couple handles of faux stamped bonded OGD $50.00 was a bit ridiculous

smknjoe
01-26-2013, 16:49
Friend called me and was at a Local NJ store...Passed up Pappy 12yr $60, 15yr $110 and 20yr $160. What's up with these prices?
The store owner said there was a Price Increase? Are they Blowing Smoke or is this 2012/2013 Prices?

I emailed ORVW to see what the MSRP should be this coming fall and got a response of "about $80.00." Seems like many retailers are taking advantage of the hype.

Edit: That was for the 15yr.

Brisko
01-26-2013, 18:45
Those Dickel prices seem high. No. 12 goes for $17.49 around here.
That's about what it runs here, too, from awhat I recall. like I say, I need to check around.

BradleyC
01-26-2013, 20:28

I saw prices all over the board this year and everyone had the same story: price increases from the distributor.

My favorite store had great prices this year. I mentioned to them others were charging a good bit more and I was a bit concerned they might have been using previous year's pricing in their system and losing money. I was assured everything was good and reassured a month or so later when it came up in conversation. I don't remember them all and don't want to pull receipts to get the pennies right, but the numbers were as follows:

Lot B: $39.99
15 Year: $52.99
20 Year: $89.00
23 Year: $219.00

The 13 Rye came a couple of weeks later at $79. It had increased from the previous year at $42.

Once again I verified with these guys twice that they did not lose money. They actually pulled the invoice to double check.

All of this being said I'm going to call BS on the price increase theory from the distillery level with the exception of the rye. Those were the exact same prices from the previous Spring and Fall releases.

passthebourbon
01-27-2013, 12:34
Passed on two bottles of High West 21 yo, @$120 each.

humchan2k
01-27-2013, 14:44
Saw 5 bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Limited '09, they were VERY spendy at $100/ea, but wondered what other people thought of it, is it good? I really seem to prefer the SmB Ltd over the SB, but would be intrigued to hear if anyone's had this and enjoyed it or not.

Oh, and 3 bottles of Handdy....for $130. LOL.

LikeItWasSodaPop
01-27-2013, 15:00
Saw 5 bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel Limited '09, they were VERY spendy at $100/ea, but wondered what other people thought of it, is it good? I really seem to prefer the SmB Ltd over the SB, but would be intrigued to hear if anyone's had this and enjoyed it or not.

I had to pass up a 2009 I found somewhere in Wisconsin about a year and a half ago. I had just been on a big bourbon buying spree and there was no more room in the cabinet or the basement. The wife reminded me of that ... reasonably, and so I had to let it go. It was somewhere in the $60s.

I'd gladly grab a couple bottles of it now at $100. I tried it at the Twisted Spoke w/ AaronWF and if I remember correctly, it wasn't mind blowing but it was, as with most 4R LE releases, pretty damn good. So to me the $100 cost would be worth it because (1) it's nearly impossible to find and (2) I am a 4R LE completist. I want to try -- if only once -- all of their limited releases to get a sense of how they've evolved over time ... to taste the best ones and even the outliers (I don't think they're ever bad). Just because I'd pay what is clearly an inflated price doesn't mean you should.

berto
01-27-2013, 16:55

It seems popular, lots of people here sing its praises. I've never had it but I'd pull the trigger at $100.

higgins
01-27-2013, 17:01
I've been looking for a bottle of OFBB, but it was not difficult to pass one up at $80.

Tico
01-27-2013, 20:39
Lots of baby Saz this weekend, seems like I saw it everywhere

bourbonandbacon
01-27-2013, 21:13
a stagg at $130. sitting sideways in a wine rack next to a handy at $100 and a PWV23 at $500...

petrel800
01-29-2013, 13:48
Left 5 WT101 Ryes on the shelf for 23 a piece. While its a solid pour I find myself drawn to Rittenhouse instead.

bourbonandbacon
01-29-2013, 21:49
vintage 17 bourbon at $149. thanks sb forums for verifying that this was a good move

Yeti
01-29-2013, 21:56
Seeing these reported prices ($150+ for 17 year+ bourbon) puts them in direct competition with a lot of older single cask Scotch, and for me, that's an easy choice.

Edit: To add something substantive, I kept putting off an online order for an extra bottle of PHC 6th for weeks, and when I finally went to order for real...it was gone.

jeffrey r
01-30-2013, 06:05
$150 for Vintage 17 is just silly. Sure, supply has dwindled to basically nothing around here, but it doesn't have the recognition of Pappy to sell at that price. Heck, the PHC 2012 seems to be languishing on shelves around here at $79.99. I picked up a few V17 wheaters from a Total Wine in NJ for $64 just a couple of months ago (they're all gone now).

petrel800
01-30-2013, 12:36
Left about 5 HW 21 year old ryes on the shelf at an outstanding price of $99 a bottle. Just don't have the funds for that today, heading to Vegas in 20 days.

Put a HW 16 year in my cart, but further analysis revealed that it had sat on it's side too long and the fill level was down and the cork was saturated to the top. Bummed out, wanted to try it, but not worth the gamble.

squire
01-30-2013, 12:59
I doubt there is any Bourbon on the market that is so much better than Parker 12 as to be worth twice the price. Of course I'm speaking of genuine quality here, not scarcity or market driven perceptions. I refuse to pay an inflated price for anything just because it might be hard to get.

Ejmharris
01-30-2013, 13:25
My guess is that V17 price is a Craigslist price.

Mike

bourbonandbacon
01-30-2013, 15:43
sadly, that V17 was not a craigslist price, i dont shop for booze there, dont want to support flippers. It was at a small store in Manhattan that actually had a decent selection considering the area. They were telling me that it was "the same bourbon as pappy" from the old Stizler-Weller Distillery... In any event, they dont have a website, but they are not alone in completely overpricing their stuff. I found another store in brooklyn that is selling it at $120. http://www.liquorsgalore.com/vintage-bourbon-750ml-17-year-old.html

SFS
01-30-2013, 16:50
2 x CEHT Barrel Strength
10 x CEHT Rye BIB
1 x CEHT Single Barrel
2 x High West Rendezvous Rye
2 x High West Campfire
2 x High West Double Rye
2 x High West American Prairie Reserve
2 x High West OMG Pure Rye

squire
01-30-2013, 18:05
17 year whisky from a place that stopped distilling more than 20 years ago? Not hardly.

Yeti
01-30-2013, 20:01
2 x CEHT Barrel Strength
10 x CEHT Rye BIB
1 x CEHT Single Barrel
2 x High West Campfire
2 x High West Double Rye

I completely got mixed up about what thread I was in and went :bigeyes: for a second.

SFS
01-31-2013, 06:15
Yeah, I should have split them out, and moved the ryes. Sorry about that.

Yeti
01-31-2013, 06:39
Yeah, I should have split them out, and moved the ryes. Sorry about that.

Oh, no. I meant I thought this was the "what did you PURCHASE" thread. I love a good high dollar whiskey haul, but I was thinking "holy $#!@ that's $650 of CEHT Rye alone!"

SFS
01-31-2013, 07:54
Oh, no. I meant I thought this was the "what did you PURCHASE" thread. I love a good high dollar whiskey haul, but I was thinking "holy $#!@ that's $650 of CEHT Rye alone!"
Now I'm laughing, cause I've never tasted a Rye, so buying 10 bottles (@$70 here) of EXPENSIVE rye would be a huge risk for me.

Until I can prevail upon friends (or friendly bartenders) to taste a few of the higher end expressions, I'm sticking to the mid-shelf (<$45/750) and lower stuff. The JPS18 (and to a lesser extent the Lot B) were disappointments. I have high hopes for the 4R "rarities", but will have to travel (or go online) to obtain those.

Trey Manthey
01-31-2013, 09:31
2 x CEHT Barrel Strength
10 x CEHT Rye BIB
1 x CEHT Single Barrel
2 x High West Campfire
2 x High West Double Rye

Why did you pass up? There's not much value in the thread if you just list a bunch of bottles that are pretty easy to find anywhere you go.

Granted, 90% of the time people are passing on something because the price is too high (or they are too broke), but the "why" is still the reason I read the thread.

Trey

SFS
01-31-2013, 10:18
Trey, the why (for this particular listing) is partly explained in post #187. That being said, I read (and post) in this thread from a different standpoint - the majority of the stuff I see mentioned here (and that I post about) is NOT widely available where I am. (In fact, I drool over what you guys apparently have on a daily basis in NOLA).

To give you an example, I spent yesterday shopping. I went in roughly 15 stores. Twelve of those I've never been in, the other 3 I had. Only 2 had the CEHT products. Both had the rye, but one had the Barrel Strength, and the other had the Single Barrel. Only two stores of the 30 or so I've been in over the last 6 months have had any High West products. I can only buy Weller products in one store, due to state-wide contractual arrangements with the distributor for Weller.

If the stuff is easy to find anywhere that YOU go, then you are a lucky man.

In fact, PM me if you can get your hands on the Tornado Survivor CEHT.

Wryguy
01-31-2013, 22:10
1 X PVW23 - $299
1 X THH - $79
1 X CEHT tornado - $80

Relatively reasonable prices for this area in this day and age, but over MSRP for sure. I had to pass, got bottles of each bunkered already.

soonami
02-01-2013, 11:03
2 x THHandy $66, $75- I like it a lot, but just a little too spendy for what it is
Bulleit 10 year - Regular expression is just okay IMO, and at $45, I think I could do a lot better
Dickel Rye - I'll wait to hear what others have to say before I take the plunge, Rye's aren't my favorite anyway
PHC12 $75 - good price so I picked up 1, but left 2 other behind
Willet 4 year Rye $32 - I was tempted, but have a 5 and 6 year at home so I figured I didn't need to spend more on these.

smknjoe
02-01-2013, 11:47
Handy
PVW 20 and 23
All were 3 to 5 x retail.

Willet (5 yr.?) at $39.00
and 3 different kinds of High West at the $40-$50 range.
Some AB Small Batch and Single Barrel.

SFS
02-01-2013, 13:44
Was this at Specs, or somewhere else?

smknjoe
02-01-2013, 13:57
The cheaper stuff was and the overpriced place I PM'd you. Even if the PVW is WAY overpriced I don't want to help lurkers or flippers.

SFS
02-01-2013, 14:04
Good call, and I need to be more attuned to that possibility.

T Comp
02-01-2013, 14:47
I don't know if this really counts but I noticed that Dickel prices seemed higher than I remember, at least at one store I frequent. Shelf prices of $26.99 for #12, $24.99 for #8, and the rye was $21.99, although they're having a three-day sale through tomorrow. What got my attention initially was the #8, which I can't recall seeing here locally before. The second thing that struck me was that even with a sale price of $21.99 on the #8, it's more than I paid for the #12 elsewhere a few months ago. I may need to shop around.

Dickel pricing confounds me. The 12 has been $22.99 here for awhile but I paid $15.50 just a few months ago in Kentucky at Rite-Aid. Quite a percentage pricing difference just on location. The 8, at Binny's, is just a dollar cheaper than the 12 at $21.99. Cascade Hollow is the cheapie on pricing here at $14.99. A Dickel over $20 is a pass for me.

SFS
02-01-2013, 15:26
The Dickel 12 here was 21.99 when I bought it the day after Christmas. Haven't checked lately, as I'm not buying it again.

KySalesRep
02-07-2013, 13:22
I passed on a PVW 23yr today. They were asking $500, so it was very easy to say no! The girl said they have had it since early November and several people have asked about it. She said so far, everybody has said that's way too high a price and walked out. Good for them!

squire
02-07-2013, 13:39
I could see a store in NY asking that price, but Kentucky?

petrel800
02-07-2013, 13:58
Passed up Chestnut Farms, Two Star and Black Ridge. Never seen them locally here in GA.

I did find the Chestnut Farms bottle humorous. It's the EH Taylor bottle with the EH Taylor "tax stamp" paper band, but it just says 90 proof on the band. These offerings just look like they were put out on the cheap. It's almost like Sazarac over ordered Weller, EH Taylor and PVW bottles and couldn't return them, so they filled them up and sent them out.

KySalesRep
02-07-2013, 14:02
I could see a store in NY asking that price, but Kentucky?

Yep, about 10 miles outside of Lexington. Last December I also saw a 10yr Old Rip 107pr that was priced at $69.99 (different store). I guess even us local folk are not immune to crazy pricing.

squire
02-07-2013, 14:10
Yeah, but folks in Kentucky know their Bourbon, at least the one's I've met.

squire
02-07-2013, 14:11
petre, what was the price on that Chestnut Farms?

petrel800
02-07-2013, 14:19
petre, what was the price on that Chestnut Farms?

47.99 if I recall

squire
02-07-2013, 14:24
Forgot to add, is that the Sazerac version? I believe there may be another out there with a similar brand name from a different company.

smknjoe
02-07-2013, 14:32
I passed on a PVW 23yr today. They were asking $500, so it was very easy to say no! The girl said they have had it since early November and several people have asked about it. She said so far, everybody has said that's way too high a price and walked out. Good for them!

Same price I saw it at here, and a similar story. Although, I think these bottles had been sitting for a year or more at that price. As soon as I posted it here they were gone. Crazy prices indeed.

Back on topic - I passed up Elijah Craig 12 yr, again. The price is right but it's right next to ETL and I always end up with that.

OscarV
02-07-2013, 15:16
I passed on a Very Very Old Fitzgerald, the guy wanted a grand for it, I offered 950 bucks, we couldn't agree on a price so I passed hence the the thread title.

smknjoe
02-07-2013, 15:22
That's a joke Oscar, right? Not familiar with that bourbon, but I hope you are joking.

thiemb
02-07-2013, 15:26
I passed on a Very Very Old Fitzgerald, the guy wanted a grand for it, I offered 950 bucks, we couldn't agree on a price so I passed hence the the thread title.

Can I cover the final $50 in exchange for getting a couple pours? ha!

OscarV
02-07-2013, 15:31
Can I cover the final $50 in exchange for getting a couple pours? ha!

Not a bad request my brother.

petrel800
02-07-2013, 17:55
Forgot to add, is that the Sazerac version? I believe there may be another out there with a similar brand name from a different company.

Definitely a Sazerac bourbon, the three I mentioned were in weller, eh Taylor and PVW bottles.

squire
02-07-2013, 18:14
Oh, I get it, The Bottle . . . I'll buy one when they attach a $20.00 rebate tag.

BradleyC
02-14-2013, 17:55
I passed on the the new RR 110 proof for $50. A trusted member who is a big WT fan had nothing good to say about it. The extra proof sure brought the price up. I wonder what the price of the new Rare Breed will be when it comes out. Might need to pick up a few before the new ones hit and the cost goes north.

portwood
02-14-2013, 18:37
OFBB 2012
Didn't feel like paying $70

squire
02-15-2013, 08:36
Passed on Maker's Mark, which seems to be selling rather quickly around here.

OscarV
02-15-2013, 13:03
Cases and cases of the no longer produced 90 proof Makers Mark.

matthewdc
02-15-2013, 14:07
"passed" on the limited edition/commemorative A.H. Hirsch 16 (with the Mahogany Hand Crafted Humidor box and scroll). It was only $1,200...

squire
02-15-2013, 14:21
1.75 ltr bottles of Maker's Mark red tagged at $43.50 each.

ER07
02-15-2013, 15:57
Still haven't been able to pull the trigger on JPS 18

George
02-15-2013, 16:04
I actually passed up all bourbon today, and I bought some rum. Bourbon prices continue to rise around here, and though I continue to drink it, I'm also looking at other options.

Jfevre
02-15-2013, 17:57
Passed up the JPS. One was sitting on the shelf all alone but at 109 I couldn't quite do it...

bourbonandbacon
02-16-2013, 10:07
saz18 and stagg each at $120

Barrel_Proof
02-16-2013, 12:05
Yet another few sets of those Woodford Reserve 375 Ryes, even though these were $78 for the pair. No one can get rid of this stuff.

Yeti
02-16-2013, 12:42
I saw a row of RR10 signed by Jimmy Russell and dated 2011. Seemed like a neat find, but didn't seem necessary.

squire
02-16-2013, 16:25
Saw that set in Memphis last year and passed it so quickly I had to think to remember if I'd seen it.

jtexaslonestar
02-19-2013, 16:02
FRSmB LE since I have to get a temporary crown tomorrow.

smokinjoe
02-19-2013, 16:46
FRSmB LE since I have to get a temporary crown tomorrow.

Josh, I would think great whiskey would help with that? :lol:

jtexaslonestar
02-19-2013, 17:14
Josh, I would think great whiskey would help with that? :lol:

Joe, you are 100% correct. I have been doing some budget work tonight after driving home for an hour with no new buddy to accompany me home. :cool:

matthewdc
02-20-2013, 06:31
passed on WT Tradition at $125. They had a few of them on the shelf. wish they would forgo the fancy bottle and box and lower the price point some. then I might be interested.

MyOldKyDram
02-20-2013, 12:10
Half a dozen WT Rye at 19.99.

EC 18. No price listed, but prob not bad as everything else in this store was reasonable. Just didn't want it.

Handy @ 69.99.

5 or so Ritt 25s at 150+.

bingstein
02-22-2013, 14:45
PHC 12 for $80. Dumb?

smknjoe
02-22-2013, 14:55
That's the going retail price. Haven't tasted it. Some love it and others love the first batch out of the 3 produced.

Tony
02-22-2013, 16:26
Passed on a Taylor BIB bourbon and rye, just not interested in them.

Best regards, Tony

squire
02-22-2013, 21:07
Passed on a 1.75 of Charter 101 priced at $29.95 and that was on special. It may have been worth it but that's about twice what I'll pay for a basic mixer.

BFerguson
02-23-2013, 14:44
Full line of BTAC. At $189, not in the plan.

But it was nice to look at them for a bit.

B

squire
02-23-2013, 14:48
Bottle of Clyde May's Conecuh ridge which wasn't worth the price of two Bartons.

savagehenry
02-23-2013, 14:55
Bulleit 10 year - Just could not justify $44 for a 10 year 91 proof when EC12 is on the shelf for $23 & 4RSB is $38.

squire
02-23-2013, 15:24
Saw EC on the shelf today for $21.00, remarkable how they hold that sort of price.

redbear
02-23-2013, 19:14
VWFRR $179.
WT Baccarat Crystal Decanter dusty $395

Kalessin
02-25-2013, 10:55
Found a FR 1B 2011 LE at $80 (normal retail price for it in MA), but I'd aready spent $60 on two other bourbons and there's no more whiskey budget available.

michaelturtle1
02-28-2013, 19:38
2x Ritt 23 almost pulled the trigger but then I remembered I went on a whiskey buying rampage 2 weekends ago

Also a handful of 84 proof Makers Mark purple dipped bottles to celebrate the Ravens winning the Super Bowl...I am sure they will be worth Millions Some day.,

squire
02-28-2013, 19:39
A bottle of Bakers at $39.95, just a bit too much.

SFS
03-01-2013, 09:03
Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)
THH (132.4 proof, don't know what year that would make it) @ $107 (is that retail?) Not yet fully on board with ryes

2009 4R SB LE (barrel strength 58.3%, Warehouse SS, Barrel 43-3L) @ $93 each. I haven't tried this yet, so didn't want to pull the trigger. I was able to taste a private selection from the adjoining restaurant, and thought it was mostly too hot and therefore unbalanced. That sort of factored into the pass.

Not bourbon, but saw 4 different "Connoisseurs Choice" scotches from Gordon and MacPhail. (I looked, and didn't see a Scotch thread for pass-ups).

Benrines Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1968 @$86
Imperial Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1970 @$96
Royal Brackla Distillery, 18 years, Distilled in 1972 @$110
Balmenach Distillery, 19 years, Distilled in 1972 @$110

Wryguy
03-01-2013, 09:11
Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)

Records are made to be broken! I've never seen that bottle retail for less than 350, go back and buy it!

THH is definitely overpriced. The 2009 4R LE 1B is the sweetest tasting Four Roses I've ever had, FWIW. Price is definitely on the high side though.

SFS
03-01-2013, 09:18
Records are made to be broken! I've never seen that bottle retail for less than 350, go back and buy it!

THH is definitely overpriced. The 2009 4R LE 1B is the sweetest tasting Four Roses I've ever had, FWIW. Price is definitely on the high side though.
Do you mean that the 4R is actually sweet, or was "sweetest tasting" a standing in for something like "best" or "most awesome" or similar?

The $92 would also break a record for me (for bourbon).

What's so special about the Michter's?

Wryguy
03-01-2013, 09:33
Actually sweet. Not spicy like the private selection you were describing.

As for the Michter's, I've never had it because of the high price point, but here's a link:

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/bafoodist/2012/11/michters-single-barrel-bourbon.html

The article seems to indicate that it is a very limited run of bottles. I've only ever seen it 3 places, and never for under 350, in the Northeast.

PaulO
03-01-2013, 12:48
I passed up Jacob's Ghost; 80 proof JB aged 1 year :shocked:

smknjoe
03-01-2013, 12:58
THH (132.4 proof, don't know what year that would make it) @ $107 (is that retail?) Not yet fully on board with ryes

It retails for $65-$70 and I've actually seen it for $70 - $120 around here.

Edit: and the 4R LEs go for ~$80 in these parts

Yeti
03-02-2013, 12:15
Benrines Distillery, 17 years, Distilled in 1968 @$86

:bigeyes: There would have been a cloud of dust looney tunes style as I ran to the register.

michaelturtle1
03-02-2013, 20:13
Passed up a ton of decanters today, a full set of McCormick Elvis, a McCormick train, a handful of Dants, a beam 2 bridges and a ton of Ezra Brooks of various shapes one that I remember was a gun

Also passed up wild turkey Kentucky spirit from 2001