PDA

View Full Version : What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
01-02-2013, 18:15
I'm easing down the last pour from a VWFRR while processing about 300 photos from a family wedding this past weekend.

Thank goodness for Lightroom macros.

michaelturtle1
01-04-2013, 19:20
Opened a bottle of HW Rendezvous, I really do greatly enjoy this pour!!

squire
01-04-2013, 19:29
May hit the Beam yellow label when I get out of chat

Keraptis
01-05-2013, 03:16
Enjoying a couple of pours of Ritt BiB.

squire
01-05-2013, 11:00
I've been giving it some consideration and that yellow label Beam is looking mighty tempting.

Bourbon Boiler
01-05-2013, 15:55
Back into a bottle of 2011 Handy tonight.

michaelturtle1
01-05-2013, 17:32
In NYC at a bar with a decent selection, finally got to try whistle pig, now that the remnants of that bottle are gone I have moved onto michters single barrel rye and baby Saz.. Staring at a bottle of Saz 18 but am afraid to know the $$ for a pour

Tico
01-05-2013, 20:15
VWFRR B bottling tonight

damn fine stuff

bad_scientist
01-06-2013, 05:44
Saz 18 last night. Maybe it was my palate, but it tasted thin, sour and oxidized to me. It was the first pour from the bottle, so that *might* have had something to do with it. I won't be buying any more until the BT stuff is ready.

WAINWRIGHT
01-06-2013, 06:09
Been on kind of a rye roll lately so WP and Saz18 were up last night,the contrast of profile between the two was most interesting.

ChainWhip
01-06-2013, 21:29
THH '12 - an enjoyable pour tonight

Luna56
01-07-2013, 00:10
Finishing up the night with a small pour of this year's Handy. Damn, it is good!

Cheers!

RVTsteve
01-07-2013, 19:52
Opened up my first bottle of HW Rendevous. Got some crazy dill on the nose out the gate, easy off to vegetal and sweetness. interesting stuff, I like it.

kingcohiba
01-07-2013, 19:55
a guy at a liquor store sold me his van winkle rye today for 40$.....almost a full bottle. he bought it a couple years ago and said he didnt like it. turns out he was a crazed lunatic cuz this stuff is the bomb! imo it beats the sazerac 18 (the only other rye ive tried) hands down. glzd ive got a sealed bottle down in the basement!

next up is jeffersons.....i see its canadian.

squire
01-07-2013, 19:56
Last pour will be Beam yellow label.

LostBottle
01-07-2013, 21:20
Opened up my first bottle of HW Rendevous. Got some crazy dill on the nose out the gate, easy off to vegetal and sweetness. interesting stuff, I like it.

Give it a few days and any of those briny notes will really start to fade.

jtexaslonestar
01-08-2013, 17:47
Its a rye kinda night. Ritt BIB better with each sip. Then my moving on to Bulleit, first time having it. Super rye nose , at 95 % what do u expect? Easy drinking rye whiskey. Very refreshing mouth feel. This will certainly help me keep that HW 21yr from opening itself. :-)

Cigar Dan
01-08-2013, 19:32
High West Double Rye for me tonight. I've only had 2 or 3 pours from that one but it is really growing on me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BFerguson
01-08-2013, 19:45
Some 08 Saz tonight. A bit tired upon opening around Christmas, but has picked up since them.

Sad that it will not see the end of the month, the bottle is going fast......:grin:

B

TheOakMonster
01-08-2013, 20:19
Head-to-head... Rittenhouse 100 and Wild Turkey Rye 101... For me, the winner is still WTR101, with Rittenhouse 100 coming in a strong second place. In reality, both are winners in this contest.

AaronWF
01-08-2013, 21:36
For me, the winner is still WTR101, with Rittenhouse 100 coming in a strong second place. In reality, both are winners in this contest.

And the obligatory, 'sounds like you're the winner here,' comment. Obligatory because it's true.

JPBoston
01-08-2013, 22:30
Had a taste of WT101 last night --- unfortunately, not a fan... probably just not a rye type of guy. Hopefully I like it better in an old fashioned.

Cigar Dan
01-09-2013, 16:22
Willet 4 year
Handy 2011

It is shaping up to be a rye night!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Martian
01-09-2013, 20:23
I just recently discovered Bulleit Rye. It has quickly become one of my favorite sippers. Wonderful whiskey.j

AaronWF
01-10-2013, 06:16
I had a chance to taste Leopold Bros Maryland Style Rye Whiskey last night. Delicious stuff and absolutely met the expectations set from my fondness for their American Small Batch Whiskey. Clean and light bodied with a somewhat winey strawberry jam motif, sprinkled with mellow, grainy pepper. A great, great table whiskey that feels great going down and has enough going on to keep me interested despite its young age.

I followed it up with a current C series VWFRR. Don't worry, no interest in comparing it to the LBMSRW. The 2012 allocation tastes less concentrated and lighter in body than the previous year's B series, as if it had whiskey in it closer to the 13 year age statement than the '85 distillates we all presume to still be present. It's still a homerun in my book, no question, and my bottle has been gaining flavor with air. It's terribly drinkable, and a miracle this bottle has lasted the weeks it has.

tanstaafl2
01-10-2013, 08:53
The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.

smokinjoe
01-10-2013, 14:36
The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.

I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

Now, I'm sipping on a Ri1 that I purchased today for $19.99. This whiskey has never knocked me over, but it has grown on me. My first bottle at $48 was not so good at all. My second bottle at 29.99 was noticeably better, but still lacking. This $19.99 bottle is by far the best tasting Ri1 I've ever had...:D

tanstaafl2
01-10-2013, 14:50
I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

That can be arranged! And I even have the LB American Small Batch for comparison and contrasting. I suspect what you describe is something of a house style but perhaps one of the crerators will pop by and comment at some point.

DaveOfAtl
01-10-2013, 16:49
I definitely enjoyed your LB Maryland Style Rye at the GBS gathering. I thought it had a great mouthfeel, though the spice was very subdued, which I believe is a characteristic of the Maryland style.

I'm sitting down now for the first time with the Holeman & Finch (Atlanta pub w/ its own liquor store) private bottling of HW Rendezvous. I have to say, the additional proof (100 proof) and the extra 29 months in ex-bourbon barrels after mingling really set this apart from the regular Rendezvous for me. I get great spice, with none of the dill pickle/grassy notes I usually get from the normal Rendezvous. There is also some additional sweetness. I assume this is the same private barrel program that people have noted that Binny's is now selling.

Gillman
01-10-2013, 18:00
Masterson's 10 year old rye. This is a further bottle, the third I've bought, and even though the same batch as the others, I find each different somewhat. Some are more bitter seemingly, or a touch less sweet. I wonder if the corks have any influence. Some are quite highly colored, almost like a blue cheese, others are mostly white with only light veins.

This current one is the best. It smells of butterscotch candy, the minty kind. The taste is sweetish with oaky overtones, and light acetone/rye, and it flows very evenly on the palate.

Really a great whiskey especially if you hit the right bottle (and if you don't, buy another one or two and mingle it til you get it right).

Gary

WAINWRIGHT
01-10-2013, 18:20
Plain old Ritt BIB for a change,for 20 bucks you really can't go wrong.

squire
01-10-2013, 18:23
Arguably a turn to Ritt is always right.

jeffrey r
01-10-2013, 19:28
First taste of Baby Saz. My palate isn't giving me anything specific tonight, but it sure tastes good. Picked up 3 bottles today at $30--not easy to come by around here.

squire
01-10-2013, 19:37
Hard to find but easy to get acquainted with.

Leopold
01-10-2013, 19:50
I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what.

They're similar because they both lean on esters (the raspberry or jammy notes) for the house profile you're mentioning. What you're tasting is the result of the bacterial infection I allow in the cypress fermenters.... and I allow this infection for both whiskies. The bacteria creates organic acids which esterify in the barrel.

So very glad to hear that you folks are enjoying it. We'll have some BIB of both the Maryland Rye and the Bourbon in a few years. Perhaps that will allay your entirely accurate 'youngish' comment.

Cheers

squire
01-10-2013, 19:55
Just allay out thirsts Todd, I'm willing to wait.

ratcheer
01-11-2013, 06:05
Last evening, a wonderful Manhattan of Bulleit Rye, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, and Angostura bitters.

Tim

unclebunk
01-11-2013, 06:38
WhistlePig is on the agenda for tonight, along with some Jefferson's Straight Rye when The Pig is dusted.

tanstaafl2
01-11-2013, 09:39
Last evening, a wonderful Manhattan of Bulleit Rye, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, and Angostura bitters.

Tim

I was going very light last night so I also had a Manhattan. Except I left the rye and the bitters out...:lol:

Man, that Carpano is some good stuff all by itself!

smokinjoe
01-11-2013, 09:51
They're similar because they both lean on esters (the raspberry or jammy notes) for the house profile you're mentioning. What you're tasting is the result of the bacterial infection I allow in the cypress fermenters.... and I allow this infection for both whiskies. The bacteria creates organic acids which esterify in the barrel.

So very glad to hear that you folks are enjoying it. We'll have some BIB of both the Maryland Rye and the Bourbon in a few years. Perhaps that will allay your entirely accurate 'youngish' comment.

Cheers

Thanks for shedding some light on that. I like when distilleries embrace a "house style", and work off of it. Gives their products distinctness, and helps me appreciate the entire line better.

BTW, if you're thinking about a new label description for your whiskies, I'd stick with the "raspberry or jammy notes" descriptors, and hold off on the bacterial infection part...:lol:

:toast:

Leopold
01-11-2013, 15:59
BTW, if you're thinking about a new label description for your whiskies, I'd stick with the "raspberry or jammy notes" descriptors, and hold off on the bacterial infection part...:lol:

:toast:

Heh. Point taken. Figured you guys liked the techo-nerd details, though.

Along the same line of thinking, our new distillery will feature floor malting, and our vodka will be the only vodka made with floor malt in the world... so we joked about how we can't call it "Floor Vodka" for the same reason we can't call the other stuff "Bacterially Infected Bourbon". : )

c2walker
01-11-2013, 17:33
Sipping on some Classic Cask 21 year. Sublime. One of the best ryes under 100 proof that I have ever had. Wonderful balance of oak and leather dryness with molasses, maple, and vanilla sweetness.

Tico
01-11-2013, 18:53
I was wondering when you were going to crack into some of that CC21, glad to hear its a winner!

Did you ever determine the source of the juice?

c2walker
01-11-2013, 18:59
I was wondering when you were going to crack into some of that CC21, glad to hear its a winner!

Did you ever determine the source of the juice?

Not with any certainty. I'd guess it is from the same lot as Rathskellar, LeNells, etc. though.

portwood
01-12-2013, 05:31
Masterson's 10 year old rye. This is a further bottle, the third I've bought, and even though the same batch as the others, I find each different somewhat. Some are more bitter seemingly, or a touch less sweet. I wonder if the corks have any influence. Some are quite highly colored, almost like a blue cheese, others are mostly white with only light veins.

This current one is the best. It smells of butterscotch candy, the minty kind. The taste is sweetish with oaky overtones, and light acetone/rye, and it flows very evenly on the palate.

Really a great whiskey especially if you hit the right bottle (and if you don't, buy another one or two and mingle it til you get it right).

Gary

Did you buy this in Ontario?

compliance
01-12-2013, 16:16
3 Hirsch 22yo's I was watching are gone. Someone found a nice stash and bought them all. Glad i got mine a few weeks ago.

jtexaslonestar
01-12-2013, 16:49
I am sipping on Bulleitt tonight. Refreshing nose on this unseasonably warm day, coats the inside of your mouth nicely and a wonderfully long and warming finish. So many attributes can be applied but I would be missing out on drinking time and the game.

smokinjoe
01-12-2013, 18:18
Just finishing off the last of a TH Handy. Obviously, the best part of the bottle, with it's gritty char-infused ending. Love that char...:yum:

KySalesRep
01-13-2013, 14:13
Having a few pours this rainy day: Ritt BiB, V21, THH. Very good stuff!!

unclebunk
01-13-2013, 15:09
Enjoying a little Old Potrero this afternoon and may finish off with some Saz 18 after dinner.

jtexaslonestar
01-13-2013, 15:47
Back again with the Bulleitt. May try some Ritt BIB next.

unclebunk
01-13-2013, 15:57
Back again with the Bulleitt. May try some Ritt BIB next.

My Rittenhouse BIB is getting dangerously low after a long summer of ginger ale & ryes. I thought about it the other day and am thankful that I can still pick up this fine whiskey for only $20.

jtexaslonestar
01-13-2013, 16:06
My Rittenhouse BIB is getting dangerously low after a long summer of ginger ale & ryes. I thought about it the other day and am thankful that I can still pick up this fine whiskey for only $20.

Yes! I see plenty visiting my regular stops! Hard to beat that price!

squire
01-13-2013, 16:34
The last of the Beam Yellow label.

Ejmharris
01-13-2013, 17:42
The last of the Beam Yellow label.

That bad boy finally gave up the ghost, huh?

Mike

squire
01-13-2013, 17:47
Back to school parties put a dent in the house supply.

thiemb
01-14-2013, 20:21
Some Willett 3 year old single barrel rye. I've mostly been using this bottle for Sazeracs, but its pretty solid with a splash of water.

ratcheer
01-15-2013, 07:44
I was going very light last night so I also had a Manhattan. Except I left the rye and the bitters out...:lol:

Man, that Carpano is some good stuff all by itself!

It sure is. I often enjoy it the way the Italians intend it, as an aperitif.

Tim

goodyrb
01-16-2013, 08:29
Bulleit until last week when my retailer took a $6 a bottle price increase. Back to the old main stay Ritt BB with Handy for Sunday.

White Dog
01-16-2013, 17:25
RittBIB. Been some time since I've sessioned with this. Damn fine pour.

HighInTheMtns
01-16-2013, 21:31
I had a pour of HW21 at a bar tonight; despite my proximity, the first taste of it I've had, and it was very enjoyable.

Glad to get out to a bar tonight, not the most common thing for my wife and me. May prohibition never return!

ChainWhip
01-16-2013, 23:05
Willet 5yr followed by THH12

jeffrey r
01-17-2013, 04:58
Had my second pour of Baby Saz. As a relative newb to rye, I must say the Baby Saz is damn fine whiskey. Glad I bought the 3 bottles on the shelf when I had the chance. Now to do a little head to head with the Ritt BIB I've had open for awhile.

unclebunk
01-17-2013, 05:55
Had my second pour of Baby Saz. As a relative newb to rye, I must say the Baby Saz is damn fine whiskey. Glad I bought the 3 bottles on the shelf when I had the chance. Now to do a little head to head with the Ritt BIB I've had open for awhile.

I enjoy Baby Saz too. And though I'm generally not one to make mixed drinks very often, that Ritt BIB of yours goes nicely with some ginger ale for a change of pace, so much so that even my wife likes it. Is Baby Saz hard to get where you live? Decent price?

jeffrey r
01-17-2013, 11:04
I enjoy Baby Saz too. And though I'm generally not one to make mixed drinks very often, that Ritt BIB of yours goes nicely with some ginger ale for a change of pace, so much so that even my wife likes it. Is Baby Saz hard to get where you live? Decent price?

Nice--I'm not huge on mixing either, but when I do, it is usually with ginger ale. Not completely opposed to doing that with Dickel, Irish, bourbon, etc.

As to Baby Saz, yes, it is pretty scarce around NY/NJ, and it goes for about $30. Not great, but not terrible. Ritt BIB and the various other ryes--Bulleit, Michter's, Knob, RR, Jeff, etc. are pretty plentiful. In my experience, Baby Saz is a "buy it when you see it" kind of thing.

icehocey77
01-17-2013, 17:59
Ritt BIB. Goes well with the cold night.

Brisko
01-18-2013, 07:56
Same here, cracked a new bottle of Ritt last night. Two things stuck out at me: it was pretty earthy (in a good way), and the mouthfeel was very round and creamy. This is still DSP-354 but it's some of the best I've had from Ritt. The earthiness is crisp and vegetal, like a freshly plowed field in the spring.

White Dog
01-19-2013, 13:12
Healthy pour of Willett 3yr with an ice cube. Fighting off a wicked hangover.

smokinjoe
01-21-2013, 18:15
I'm staring at another couple of hours of paperwork ahead of me, so I figured I'd go with something I won't pig out on. So, dialing up Woodford New Cask Rye. :D Though from a visual (it's much darker) I thought from the get-go I'd prefer this bottle to it's partner in the MC set, I've always enjoyed the lighter one better. Tonight, it is an OK pour. Unfortuntely, the WR pot still profile overpowers any rye character that I wish I could enjoy more thoroughly. I am OK with that profile on the bourbon selections, but here, it just doesn't contribute any positives to the whiskey.

Tico
01-21-2013, 19:38
Getting into some VWFRR and BMH 18yr SB

both fantastic with the nod going to the BMH tonight

c2walker
01-21-2013, 19:47
Getting into some VWFRR and BMH 18yr SB

both fantastic with the nod going to the BMH tonight

Slummin it tonight, huh?

Tico
01-21-2013, 20:39
Slummin it tonight, huh?

i know, right ;)

Closing out the long weekend in style

Smithford
01-22-2013, 13:14
A local bar tweeted about the arrival of a few bottles of Saz18 and THH. Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, I do love old rye. VWFRR still lingers in my memory as one of the best things I've ever tasted. And I just recently finished a bottle of V21 that I thoroughly enjoyed. This Saz was good, maybe even great ... but not mind blowing. I might go back in a few weeks and try it again with a fresh palate, after time and aeration have worked their magic, to see if I like it better.

Afterward I came home and poured myself a generous glass of Ritt BIB (from a bottle that cost only $5 more than that double shot of Saz) and wondered why I bothered going out in the cold.

OscarV
01-22-2013, 13:27
Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be.

You called it correctley, Saz 18 ain't all that.
The Handy on the other hand is better even at 11 years younger.
Could you imagine Handy at 15 years old?!?!?!?

LostBottle
01-22-2013, 18:25
This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.

michaelturtle1
01-22-2013, 19:45
This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.

Agreed, to me Handy is nothing more than barrel strength baby Saz, where as Saz18 is liquid candy in my glass but I also really do not like ryes that are less than 10 yrs old with 18-23 being the sweet spot age wise for my Pallette

ChainWhip
01-22-2013, 20:00
While I like both THH & Saz18 for different reasons the nod goes to the Saz18 for me. Not even close.

BradleyC
01-22-2013, 20:19
I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.

Smithford
01-23-2013, 08:40
Well, hopefully we won't have to imagine for too much longer.

Isn't the prevailing speculation that BT tanked the COK/Saz18 and are portioning it out for just long enough to allow the BT Saz juice to mature? With any luck, in a few years THH will be able to take its rightful place in the Antique collection as a full-fledged teenaged Rye (hopefully still barrel strength/NCF).

smokinjoe
01-23-2013, 10:36
I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.

My thoughts on THH mirror yours, Bradley. Saz 18 is a gorgeous whiskey, indeed. Love the stuff. But, the Handy is a whold 'nuther animal. "Kick in the teeth". "Punch me in the nose and make my eyes water." "Up and bitch slaps me on first sip." "Effie, brace yourself." "2 X 4 to the forehead wake-up call." etc. It's all that, and that's why it's such a thrill to drink it. I try and buy just about every bottle I see.

MyOldKyDram
01-23-2013, 18:10
Wallowing in some rich, sweet, spicy WhistlePig tonight.

WAINWRIGHT
01-23-2013, 18:23
It's been quite a while since I've had a pour of the VWFRR,so tonight was the night to crack a fresh bottle.Opening this bottle was based on craving alone and damn am I glad I did,just the way I remember it perfect in almost ever way!

thiemb
01-23-2013, 20:41
It's a rye night. Willett 3 yr and some Baby Saz. My wife tried the Baby Saz and said it tasted like flowers which is probably the most positive description shes ever used while tasting a whiskey.

tanstaafl2
01-24-2013, 15:31
An interesting and odd "flight" of rye last night. WhistlePig, Pendleton 1910 and JD Unaged Rye. The WhistlePig was the easy winner but I still enjoy the softer sweeter notes of the Pendleton 1910 even at 80 proof. The JD rye is in its own little world but I do enjoy its unique flavor as an occasional pour.

ChainWhip
01-24-2013, 23:02
THH '12 tonight while chatting with the SB peeps - what a great kick in the teeth!

michaelturtle1
01-25-2013, 19:18
Willett 6 yr, V21, and Ritt 25 with the V21 being the best of the group

z327
01-25-2013, 19:26
Baby Saz tonight

thiemb
01-25-2013, 22:29
Baby Saz and Willett 3 yr again tonight. I've just been in a rye mood lately.

BradleyC
01-26-2013, 00:47
I have heard from 2 different industry sources now that the Saz 18 has run its course and we won't be seeing it next year. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?

On topic I had the holy grail tonight. The Bowman cask strength rye.

oke&coke
01-26-2013, 06:50
After my beers, had a lone pour of V21. That is still a big bold rye if their ever was one.

WAINWRIGHT
01-26-2013, 11:00
Tried the Dickel Rye today at one of my local stores I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised,this is a nice little whiskey for $24.

KySalesRep
01-26-2013, 11:32
I haven't tried it yet, but today I was able to find my first WT 101 rye. It was just sitting all by itself looking lonely, so I thought it should come home with me. Looking forward to cracking it open and having a pour!

ErichPryde
01-26-2013, 15:16
You called it correctley, Saz 18 ain't all that.
The Handy on the other hand is better even at 11 years younger.

Or at 9-10ish?

As for Saz 18.... The tiny amount I have left goes into sazerac cocktails in tiny amounts. ;)

Martian
01-26-2013, 23:19
Bulleit. Just love the stuff.

smokinjoe
01-27-2013, 09:19
Casey at Mac McGee's slipped me a pour of Hooker's House Rye last night at dinner at the restaurant. It's another release from Prohibition Spirits in Sonoma, CA. MGPI sourced rye that has been finished in Zinfandel wine barrels. The finishing effects of the zin barrels on the trademark minty MGPI rye profile made for an interesting result, that was a very enjoyable after dinner sipper. The mint and zin didn't fight, and it did not seem out of balance at all, as I expected it might be before trying it. A very nice effort from Prohibition. Not factoring in cost, which I don't know, I would put this on my radar as a "pick up" at retail. But, I tend to like the "finished" segment of the bourbon and rye offerings, as an occasional break from the norm.

KySalesRep
01-30-2013, 17:18
I started off with WT 101, now on to Ritt BiB. I have to say that while the WT was good, my vote goes to the Ritt BiB.

BFerguson
01-30-2013, 19:29
Something not had in a long time, cracked open a new bottle of RR rye.

B

ErichPryde
01-30-2013, 20:36
how is the (current??) RR rye? I remember really liking it at one point, but I haven't seen it at retail for quite some time.

Alphanumeric
01-30-2013, 21:31
Additionally, when can we expect to see DSP-1 Ritt? I picked up a DSP-354 a couple months in anticipation of the switch-over and want to make sure I can get in a head-to-head before I finish this bottle.

smokinjoe
01-31-2013, 09:42
I had a couple of pours of Ri1 at the bar at the Sacramento Airport earlier this week, while waiting for my flight back to LA. I also recently purchased my second, though significantly discounted bottle. I yawned at this whiskey when it was first released, as being dull, bland and boring. Well, I'm going to change those negative descriptions to "subtle", as I continue to rather enjoy this rye. I'm afraid my quest for that punch in the nose rye hit, prevented me from finding the nice fine flavors in it. It is in fact, though subtle, a very nice whiskey.

MauiSon
01-31-2013, 13:45
LOL, subtle and very nice - at the right price, eh?

smokinjoe
01-31-2013, 15:13
LOL, subtle and very nice - at the right price, eh?

;)
The pours at the airport were $14 a pop. Had 3 of them. I joked earlier in this thread a couple of weeks ago that I was enjoying the Ri1 much more at the $19 I had just payed for a bottle.:D But, I say in all sincerity that I am enjoying it now, regardless of price. There's more flavor stuff going on in it than I gave it credit for a couple of years ago.

ErichPryde
01-31-2013, 15:49
Hmm. Perhaps I should revisit Ri1. I haven't tried the Knob Creek Rye- how do they compare to one another?

smokinjoe
01-31-2013, 16:15
Hmm. Perhaps I should revisit Ri1. I haven't tried the Knob Creek Rye- how do they compare to one another?

Erik, the KCR is much bolder. I liken it to more of a WT 101 Rye. I can't say if the flavor profile is the same as KCR, as I haven't done a side-by-side, but the KCR does pack a healthy rye punch. I enjoy it very much. The thing on the Ri1 is that I so easily dismissed it a couple of years ago...but, my changing tastes find it very enjoyable, now. Even though it doesn't kick me in the teeth like I like ryes to do, it is enjoyably flavorful. But, subtle...

JLH3
02-02-2013, 11:55
Happily found a bottle of Willett 4 yr old. I love this stuff.

scubadoo97
02-02-2013, 12:03
Happily found a bottle of Willett 4 yr old. I love this stuff.

I really can't tell much difference between the 4 and 5 year old. Not a bad LDI rye. Much more floral and assertive than say a Jefferson or WT rye

ChainWhip
02-03-2013, 21:09
Saz18 tonight as I watched the Super Bowl - missing my hometown a little

Trey Manthey
02-04-2013, 08:48
Shared some High West 21 with friends during the game. Wasn't really in a whiskey mood most of the night, but I needed a small pour during that second half!

KySalesRep
02-04-2013, 17:48
Having small pours of:
HW Rendezvous
WT 101
THH '12

matthewdc
02-04-2013, 19:24
Had a couple manhattans with HW Double Rye.

BFerguson
02-05-2013, 19:11
birthday eve, no work tomorrow, breaking out the last of the Saz 18 in the bottle. Probably enough for two nice glasses worth.

it was a 09 that started a bit slow, but it's come into a pretty satisfying last half of a bottle.

B

squire
02-05-2013, 19:16
Sounds like a celebration BF, I raise my glass.

WAINWRIGHT
02-07-2013, 20:33
VWFRR from a recently opened bottle and damn could I drink this every day,but the scarcity and my limited number of bottles causes me to be most humble with my pours.

michaelturtle1
02-07-2013, 21:26
Polished off another bottle of Rendezvous Rye, I should consider buying High West stock given the amount of empty bottles my household has generated

jersey12
02-08-2013, 18:25
Having my first ever pour of Saz 18 and all I can say is "Wow". The nose is phenomenal with that familiar rye spice but also a sweetness and oakiness that balances nicely. The thick and luscious mouth feel with some spice up front and sweetness on the finish equates to just a wonderful drinking experience in my opinion.

On a side note, I picked this up along with a GTS a few months ago as my first foray into the BTAC and after spending some time with the GTS, I was thinking that maybe my expectations were a little too high. I like the Stagg and appreciate the amount of flavor that can come from such a strong spirit, but after having this first pour of the Saz, I'd gladly trade a Stagg for a Saz any day of the week. I'll check back in in a few weeks and let you know if this sentiment continues.

DaveOfAtl
02-08-2013, 18:50
Having my first ever pour of Saz 18 and all I can say is "Wow". The nose is phenomenal with that familiar rye spice but also a sweetness and oakiness that balances nicely. The thick and luscious mouth feel with some spice up front and sweetness on the finish equates to just a wonderful drinking experience in my opinion.

On a side note, I picked this up along with a GTS a few months ago as my first foray into the BTAC and after spending some time with the GTS, I was thinking that maybe my expectations were a little too high. I like the Stagg and appreciate the amount of flavor that can come from such a strong spirit, but after having this first pour of the Saz, I'd gladly trade a Stagg for a Saz any day of the week. I'll check back in in a few weeks and let you know if this sentiment continues.

The 2012 Stagg has not lived up to some of the previous iterations, IMO. I would generally take a Stagg over a Saz, but I agree with you on the 2012 version.

TheGentleman
02-09-2013, 06:10
Anyone seen Ritt BIB lately? I've been keeping my eye out for months thinking there should be a release soon, but I'm getting impatient!

MyOldKyDram
02-09-2013, 06:21
Seen it plenty here in Lex, so...not long for Louisville?

Ejmharris
02-09-2013, 07:55
Anyone seen Ritt BIB lately? I've been keeping my eye out for months thinking there should be a release soon, but I'm getting impatient!

I run in to it all over the place in NKY. I went almost two years and didn't see a bottle and then around last August/ September cases of it have been available.

Mike

squire
02-09-2013, 08:12
Wish I was awash in Rittenhouse, streams have dried up around here.

JLH3
02-09-2013, 09:25

Lots of it in Arizona. Along with Handy. Wish there was more Willett

portwood
02-09-2013, 10:27
Stock coming to LCBO - even though price jumped 14% since it was available last year, its time to stock up!

jersey12
02-09-2013, 13:26
Lots of Ritt BiB around in NYC and still in the $20-25 range.

KySalesRep
02-09-2013, 16:11
Having a very nice pour of '12 THH. Hitting the spot tonight!

TheGentleman
02-10-2013, 18:58
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep my eyes peeled!

michaelturtle1
02-10-2013, 19:07
Couple small pours of Michters 10 yr, not a bad pour very spicy so I have to be in a certain mood to want to drink it

cbus
02-10-2013, 20:00
Good old Rittenhouse BIB tonight. Hits the spot.

jburlowski
02-11-2013, 14:53
Had some Bowman rye (TPS #3) last night. Watched the sun set and thought about the fragility of life. :frown:

scubadoo97
02-11-2013, 16:16
Had some Bowman rye (TPS #3) last night. Watched the sun set and thought about the fragility of life. :frown:

That's one delicious rye

HighHorse
02-11-2013, 22:04
Dickel Rye tonight. Had first in a blind flight of three along with baby Saz and Bulliet Rye. Was able to pick out the Dickel because it was noticably more mellow .. a bit of viscosity .. or syrup .. a clue that this one likely had been through the maple charcoal mellowing process. These were all neat. The Bulliet stood out because of the minty give-a-way when taken neat. The Baby Saz was lighter than I remembered from a couple of nights ago .. mostly because of the line-up. A rep had brought a bottle by The Porch and I then had a pour over ice. The Dickel Rye brightened up and suddenly I could get a minty lead on it and the viscosity was not a factor. All in all .. a good pour .. and I'll buy this one. The charcoal mellowed process makes this one stand up alone among ryes that I know. It's different and good. I'm told it's 95% rye .. and no age statement.

Enoch
02-12-2013, 16:07
In celebration of Fat Tuesday I am doing the following flight:

VWFFR
Saz18
Handy
Jeff10 (CN)
Redemption
Cotoctin Creek
OO (90s)
Ritt (Owensboro)
Bulleit
WT101
Baby Saz

After this going to bed...........

Favorite: Saz 18 and Ritt (very sweet)

spy247
02-12-2013, 17:15
Sipping some Rit BIB and Bulleit at the moment.

Enoch
02-12-2013, 18:57
In celebration of Fat Tuesday I am doing the following flight:

VWFFR
Saz18
Handy
Jeff10 (CN)
Redemption
Cotoctin Creek
OO (90s)
Ritt (Owensboro)
Bulleit
WT101
Baby Saz

After this going to bed...........

Favorite: Saz 18 and Ritt (very sweet)

Here they are....

andykeck
02-13-2013, 09:37

It's strange. A couple of months ago, it was all over here in Seattle. Now there's none to be found. But I'm on vacation this week in Santa Barbara, and all the places I've looked have tons. My suitcase is going to be very heavy going back.

ChainWhip
02-14-2013, 16:06
It's strange. A couple of months ago, it was all over here in Seattle. Now there's none to be found. But I'm on vacation this week in Santa Barbara, and all the places I've looked have tons. My suitcase is going to be very heavy going back.

There's a few available around Seattle right now.

compliance
02-14-2013, 23:16
Socal always seems to have a good supply of Ritt. It's been a long time since it last disappeared and I'd guess it was only gone for a month or so.

I passed on a Hirsch 25 rye for $240. Have to draw the line somewhere :smil41df29a15fb35:

squire
02-15-2013, 08:07
To me that would be an obscene price but I suppose someone will pay it.

cbus
02-16-2013, 15:23
Cracked open my Vintage 23 Rye for my 23rd birthday last night and whaddaya know... the cork broke:hot:. Still, it is a really nice whiskey. The nose is amazing and the taste is good, though it feels like perhaps it may have been in the wood a bit too long.

squire
02-16-2013, 16:20
Well, the dog enjoyed his day in the sun on the back deck protected from the wind but the day got progressively colder so I'm meeting the chill of the evening with some Old Grand Dad.

kyrocklover
02-16-2013, 20:45
Tonight, I have had a few pours of Willett 110, WT 101, KC 100, RRBIB and Jeffersons Rye. While the Willett is my favorite, the KC ruled the roost tonight.

squire
02-17-2013, 03:44
I just noticed I posted in the wrong thread and now it's too late to edit. I really need to get my eyes checked.

Trey Manthey
02-18-2013, 03:47
I just noticed I posted in the wrong thread and now it's too late to edit. I really need to get my eyes checked.

It's alright. It was a nice change of pace. Usually, we know what your posts are going to say before we read them. ;)

squire
02-18-2013, 07:17
Yes, I'm pretty consistent though not in any foolish sense, hobgoblins and all that.

BFerguson
02-18-2013, 19:17
Popped the cork on a Baby Saz tonight.

it's not the brash beast like a Willet, but I love the balance of it.

B

jtexaslonestar
02-19-2013, 17:05
Making it back around to Ritt BIB tonight. Great drink all around and that bottle is getting low.

Yeti
02-20-2013, 11:30
I opened my first High West bottle last night, the Double Rye. I didn't enjoy it very much. By far the most "minty" tasting whiskey I've ever had. I'm oddly looking forward to going back to it as it opens up. While I wasn't immediately taken with it, it was interesting. I think I'll have a dram and compare it with a Willet 4yr 110 tonight.

Trey Manthey
02-20-2013, 11:55
I've tried everything that HW has put out except the Valley Tan. Without fail, when I open a new bottle I get strange (almost unpleasant) grassy/dill notes. I encourage you to not write it off yet. That said, if you are dipping your toes into their products, I highly recommend the Rendezvous Rye! Since you're a scotch drinker, try the Campfire as well.

smknjoe
02-20-2013, 12:53
If I'm not mistaken I've seen some Willett 6 yr. Rye around here for ~$35. How does it compare to Rittenhouse BIB?

Yeti
02-20-2013, 12:55
grassy/dill notes

That's it! Dill. It was minty as well, but not straight mint. A little strange, but I'll be revisiting for a while to see how it develops. I've definitely got some other HW bottles on my radar.

Yeti
02-20-2013, 12:57
If I'm not mistaken I've seen some Willett 6 yr. Rye around here for ~$35. How does it compare to Rittenhouse BIB?

Months ago I had a 5 year Willet from Astor that I thought was really fantastic. Definitely preferred to Rittenhouse, which I also enjoy very much. I have another bottle from them, this time 4 yr, that I'm opening up tonight.

Lazer
02-20-2013, 13:40
I've tried everything that HW has put out except the Valley Tan. Without fail, when I open a new bottle I get strange (almost unpleasant) grassy/dill notes. I encourage you to not write it off yet. That said, if you are dipping your toes into their products, I highly recommend the Rendezvous Rye! Since you're a scotch drinker, try the Campfire as well.
What is the deal with the Grassy/dill? I hate dill!! Anyone else have a problem with the corks? they suck.

Anyway, I wasn't into the Rendezvous because of the grassy-dill, but I'm drinking the SOB now and while the grassy-dill was there when I first opened it, it disappeared and now its a pretty good pour.

HighInTheMtns
02-20-2013, 14:04
What is the deal with the Grassy/dill? I hate dill!! Anyone else have a problem with the corks? they suck.

Anyway, I wasn't into the Rendezvous because of the grassy-dill, but I'm drinking the SOB now and while the grassy-dill was there when I first opened it, it disappeared and now its a pretty good pour.
HW corks are the worst. They use some really nice synthetic corks on their Silver whiskeys, wish they'd use those for the whole lineup.

Ejmharris
02-20-2013, 16:14
Prichards Tennessee Rye. To be honest I didn't know what to expect from this one when I first opened. It is super easy drinking and I have enjoyed. It has some light grassy rye tones on the palate and a sweet finish. I don't know the price about was a gift but Inwould recommend just off taste alone. Hell, my wife even liked it.

Mike

Brisko
02-21-2013, 06:38

If it's barrel proof, buy it. It will be bigger, bolder, more in your face than Ritt and probably will drink older than it is (more oak). I believe the 6-years are from KY whereas the 3, 4, and 5 year-olds have been from MGPI/LDI/the distillery formerly known as Seagram's in Indiana.

Trey Manthey
02-21-2013, 09:01
HW corks are the worst. They use some really nice synthetic corks on their Silver whiskeys, wish they'd use those for the whole lineup.

Agreed. On my first Rendezvous, the cork would actually pop itself out somehow every few minutes after I opened the bottle. However, I do think they fit in with the whole "untamed West" look that the company cultivates and look pretty cool.

clingman71
02-24-2013, 18:47
Dug a WT 101 Rye out of the bunker tonight. Enjoying a nice pour while watching a bit of the Oscars.

KySalesRep
02-26-2013, 19:43
Started with WT 101 then moved on to some '12 Handy.

WAINWRIGHT
02-26-2013, 20:32
A nice bold pour of VWFRR after a shitload of snow blowing tonight!Yep,I'm ready for spring!:smiley_acbt:

BFerguson
02-27-2013, 04:02
after last night, just one pour left of what little i have of Albert premium.

it''s a young rye, with a bit a that youthful rawness to it, but after getting some bottle air time, really became quite fruity and a bit sweeter than I remember from the last couple of pours.

B

Brisko
02-27-2013, 07:13
Finally bought a bottle of Knob Creek Rye.

Now, I've made no secret of the fact that I actually like Beam's ryes. So this is a little disappointing to me. It tastes, for all practical purposes, like yellow label at 100 proof. That wouldn't be a bad thing, except that it's more than double the price.

Okay coming back to it, there is obviously some older whisky in there-- there is a nice undertone of vanilla and other barrel flavors, but man, there is a lot of young rye in there too. I read on one of the blogs (which one escapes me) that it was to be a mingling of 4 year old and 9 year old rye. If that's the case, the ratio of young to old is pretty damn high.

I don't think this is a good addition to the Knob line. Both the standard and the SB bourbons are quite good, and well aged. The KC rye doesn't quite fit into that category to me, and it's a head-scratcher that it's typically priced higher than both of the bourbons.

In terms of pure quality it's decent enough but it's no better than Ritt BiB, maybe not even as good. And Ritt about half the price.

amftx
02-27-2013, 07:25
Months ago I had a 5 year Willet from Astor that I thought was really fantastic. Definitely preferred to Rittenhouse, which I also enjoy very much. I have another bottle from them, this time 4 yr, that I'm opening up tonight.

I am currently enjoying the Willett 5 year rye as well. I don't have a lot of experience with rye yet but I plan on adding a second bottle to my collection for the future.

Wall Eye
03-01-2013, 17:40
Rittenhouse BIB. So nice for such a nice price.

smokinjoe
03-03-2013, 20:44
Nothing like a good smack to the chops before heading to bed. And, the Knob Creek Rye just delivered it. It's been a while since I've visited this bottle, and now I'm sorry I've been away from it. B...O...L...D... BOLD! Now, that's a rye! :yum:

Meruck
03-03-2013, 22:26
I have always stayed away from rye in fear I wouldn't like it.sound silly but tue. The only ryes I have are the BTACs and a Col. Taylor, could be worse. I forced a sample of the Saz, and dammed if it wasn't bad. Smack, I coulda had a rye!!!

unclebunk
03-04-2013, 05:52
I have always stayed away from rye in fear I wouldn't like it.sound silly but tue. The only ryes I have are the BTACs and a Col. Taylor, could be worse. I forced a sample of the Saz, and dammed if it wasn't bad. Smack, I coulda had a rye!!!

Jump right in. The water's fine. Get yourself a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and dig in!

Meruck
03-04-2013, 19:46
Ok, Rittenhouse it is.

Grain Belt
03-07-2013, 09:40
Willett 5 year old rye. I thought it was outstanding. I am impressed with the deep flavors for a relatively young whiskey. I have had Handy which I know is young and impressive and this young whipper-snapper also made me say "wow!"

amftx
03-07-2013, 10:23
Willett 5 year old rye. I thought it was outstanding. I am impressed with the deep flavors for a relatively young whiskey. I have had Handy which I know is young and impressive and this young whipper-snapper also made me say "wow!"

The age statement has to match the youngest juice in the bottle. The Willett is 95% rye... and 5% something else. That could be a 20 year rye with 5 year old bourbon added. Who knows...

Sure is tasty though.

amftx
03-07-2013, 10:28
Recently tried Whistle Pig.

Felt like I had just put rye soaked saw dust in my mouth. Dry. Oaky. Overly so on both accounts. It's unique, that's for sure.

Nosir, I don't like it. Looking forward to the Ritt when I pick it up.

LostBottle
03-07-2013, 10:36
amftx, out of curiosity, were you sipping bourbon before tasting Whistlepig? I have found that if I have something sweet to drink before tasting the high-rye mash bill whiskeys, my taste is thrown a bit out of whack and the rye is not nearly as appealing as it normally is.

amftx
03-07-2013, 10:54
amftx, out of curiosity, were you sipping bourbon before tasting Whistlepig? I have found that if I have something sweet to drink before tasting the high-rye mash bill whiskeys, my taste is thrown a bit out of whack and the rye is not nearly as appealing as it normally is.

I was not. It was the first sip of anything besides water or the tea I had at lunch that day. I'm still a bit of a newb especially when it comes to rye, but Whistle Pig seems like a totally different animal to me.

HighInTheMtns
03-07-2013, 11:03
The age statement has to match the youngest juice in the bottle. The Willett is 95% rye... and 5% something else. That could be a 20 year rye with 5 year old bourbon added. Who knows...

Sure is tasty though.
I think you misunderstand what 95% rye refers to with respect to Willett and other LDI ryes. The mashbill consists of 95% rye and 5% barley; 95% does not refer to a vatting with a non-rye whiskey.

In the case of Willett, it's a single barrel offering. That whiskey is 5 years old, all of it.

Brisko
03-07-2013, 11:05
Was going to say this but I see Jim has it covered.

I love these young Willett ryes. Had a four-year old that was incredible, currently have a five-year old that is very good and another 4 year in the bunker.

amftx
03-07-2013, 11:22
Thank you for the info Jim, this is good to know. I had misunderstood. :)

BFerguson
03-07-2013, 19:51
nice pour of some baby Saz tonight.

Been some time since I've had one open, still a sweet rye.

I've seen a couple in the wild recently, but haven't been too keen on the price attached to them.

B

sob0728
03-08-2013, 08:28
nice pour of some baby Saz tonight.

Been some time since I've had one open, still a sweet rye.

I've seen a couple in the wild recently, but haven't been too keen on the price attached to them.

B

They are all over in the Twin Cities at the $25-$30 range.

jeffrey r
03-08-2013, 09:20
Baby Saz has definitely made a stock resurgence in the NY/NJ area, generally at $29.99, which I consider a reasonable price for this whiskey. Would love a bit cheaper, but I think it is great stuff.

KySalesRep
03-10-2013, 11:42
Having a pour of VWFRR. This is some very good rye! I will try to make this bottle last a while, but it will be tough to stay away!

MyOldKyDram
03-10-2013, 12:01
Living that good life today! It really is delicious stuff.

BFerguson
03-10-2013, 12:43
They are all over in the Twin Cities at the $25-$30 range.

Thanks, last one I saw out of state was pushing in the high $30's.

Did pass one up in town yesterday at $29.

But already have a couple for the time being, and that's good enough for now.

Besides, the misses has put more of a travel restriction on me now with a the new family addition. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. It's the greatest thing in the world to come home after a crappy day and see that little face light up at you. Melts the grump right away......

B

KySalesRep
03-10-2013, 12:46
You said it Sean! I will have to track some down this Fall when it comes out, if I can wait that long. Really, really good stuff!

jeffrey r
03-11-2013, 05:03
Having a pour of VWFRR. This is some very good rye! I will try to make this bottle last a while, but it will be tough to stay away!

I'm at about 2/3 left of a VWFRR bottle bought over a year ago. All of my whiskey is for drinking, but unless I get a backup (unlikely), this bottle will be nursed. :)

LostBottle
03-11-2013, 14:29
I have heard that VWFRR gets better with a few months of air. I cannot comment because I have never had a bottle stick around that long.

ShorewoodLiq
03-11-2013, 15:53
Opened a bottle of HW Double Rye. I can't believe more people up North here don't drink HW.

bourbonandbacon
03-11-2013, 16:22
had a pour of the VWFRR a few nights ago from a bottle i opened up over a year ago. have been trying to nurse it for a while now. what struck me was in how much it has changed since i first opened it. a lot of the rye spice notes have worn off or at least are not as strong, but the candy, sweet creamy notes up front have really taken over. still great stuff, but very different from the first sip

KySalesRep
03-11-2013, 19:39
Started the night off with Ritt BiB, then moved on to some HW Rendezvous.

black mamba
03-12-2013, 12:04
Right now I have open a RR BIB, a HW Rendezvous and VWFRR.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly love the older, more expensive ryes, but if all I had was RR BIB and HH White BIB for the rest of my life, I would still be happy.

sob0728
03-13-2013, 11:52
Had some 2011 Saz 18 last night. Bottle has been open for about a year. Great stuff, I think it is in it's prime right now. It tasted incredibly well balanced.

Kalessin
03-13-2013, 11:54
It was the monthly Scotch Social at a friend of mine's house -- we usually get five to fifteen attendees. Last night we had seventeen.

When the three scotches that were on offer were getting quite low (they started from already-opened bottles), I remembered that I had a freshly-purchased Baby Saz in the car.

3/4 of that bottle is now gone, though because I was driving, I only had a wee bit (nearly all of those attending could take the MBTA subway home).

Thank you, friends! :D

darylld911
03-14-2013, 16:14
Having a healthy pour of 2011 THH. Still one of my top 5 favorite drams - it feels like a big warm hug from a spiced cake :grin:

LostBottle
03-14-2013, 22:19
it feels like a big warm hug from a spiced cake :grin:

That is probably the best description of Handy I have ever heard.

BradleyC
03-14-2013, 22:42
Having a healthy pour of 2011 THH. Still one of my top 5 favorite drams - it feels like a big warm hug from a spiced cake :grin:

Very nice. I like that. I am going to remember this every time I drink Handy from now on.

ChainWhip
03-14-2013, 23:41
In keeping with the theme, I'm getting a big warm hug by a spiced cake - THH'12

KySalesRep
03-15-2013, 17:24
Ok, Ok.. Peer Pressure! I will have a pour of '12 THH myself tonight.

MauiSon
03-15-2013, 19:49
Midway thru a WTR101 bottle - this has changed quite a bit over time, but not for the worse.

darylld911
03-16-2013, 05:39
Had some HW Double Rye last night, and need to try that with more distance from THH. Completely different animals, and I wasn't expecting similarity - but the first thought that crossed my mind was "Who put Scotch in my HWDR bottle??" All of the pollen in the air could be messing with the olfactory as well there!

Tico
03-16-2013, 08:02
Two pours of VWFRR last night

MyOldKyDram
03-16-2013, 18:03
Think I'm breaking into this 2012 VWFRR tonight. But really I just wanted to show off this nifty rye tag I found today. :P

LostBottle
03-16-2013, 18:43
Bling for your Van Winkle!

michaelturtle1
03-16-2013, 18:49
My wife wears decanter labels as necklaces, hope she doesn't see that one.

MyOldKyDram
03-16-2013, 18:56
Funny, but I actually saw where someone on Etsy was selling this exact one that they had turned into several different necklaces. Not expensive at all. Humor the lady!

LostBottle
03-16-2013, 23:41
Had a pour of CEHT Rye tonight. This is not a bad rye at all, though I think it needs a bit more age on it (it is rumored to be ~9yo) to round the rough edges and justify the price. As is expected from a high-mashbill rye, there is plenty of peppery spice. I also get some nice dark fruits and a dusting of cinnamon. I think I prefer this to Handy, though the quality/price ratio of both will probably cause me to leave them on the shelf.

Tico
03-17-2013, 08:40
Had a pour of CEHT Rye tonight. This is not a bad rye at all, though I think it needs a bit more age on it (it is rumored to be ~9yo) to round the rough edges and justify the price. As is expected from a high-mashbill rye, there is plenty of peppery spice. I also get some nice dark fruits and a dusting of cinnamon. I think I prefer this to Handy, though the quality/price ratio of both will probably cause me to leave them on the shelf.
I'm convinced that I just don't like young rye, THH and Ceht while nice just don't do it for me.

ChainWhip
03-19-2013, 21:40
A stunning pour of Saz18 to kick off the evening.

hectic1
03-20-2013, 04:20
I stopped in at DougDog's last night and we poured what I consider to be two of the best Rye Whiskey's that have ever been bottled.., Doug's Green Label 22yr and the Iron Fist 23yr!

WAINWRIGHT
03-20-2013, 04:50
I stopped in at DougDog's last night and we poured what I consider to be two of the best Rye Whiskey's that have ever been bottled.., Doug's Green Label 22yr and the Iron Fist 23yr!Way to rub it in Bob,more than a little jealous to say the least!:grin:

sailor22
03-20-2013, 06:06
Started with some Wild Turkey 101 that a fellow SBer help me procure (Thanks!) then finished with some Vintage 23. It was a good Rye night.

Both are so good it's a shame they are so hard to find.

gatsby
03-22-2013, 07:02
Last night felt like a rye night. I started with a couple ounces of Rittenhouse BIB followed by a couple more of Sazarac.