PDA

View Full Version : What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
01-08-2013, 02:21
I don't wan't to step on any toes here but I figured someone should create this thread, seeing as we've not only barrelled past spring and summer, but now also 2012. I hope no one was looking forward to seeing how long the old thread could continue past its expiration date. I apologize if so...

Tonight was a Ward Eight for me. I wasn't setting hopes high based on Imbibe/Esquire's lukewarm review of it.

Rye (Old Overholt), OJ, lemon, and grenadine (homemade) came together quite well. The review deemed it 'good but nothing special', but I'd say it was a happy, albeit simplistic, union of ingredients that I'd willingly make again. And I was even able to use up my Old Overholt and not grimace!

squire
01-08-2013, 07:25
Sounds like a good combination, one does not always need a lot of ingredients for a cocktail. This should also work well with Bourbon.

tanstaafl2
01-19-2013, 10:00
A cocktail I tried recently that incorporates both bourbon and Curacao that might appeal to the crowd here if you have Lillet (Cocchi Americano could also work. In fact it might even be better if you like a little bitterness to your cocktail). It is called the Kentucky Corpse Reviver and is a variation on the classic Corpse Reviver #2.

3/4 ounce Bourbon (Elijah Craig 12 was specified in the recipe I used but similar bourbons would work)
3/4 ounce Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Curaçao recommended!)
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice (always use fresh squeezed, not bottled, when you can!)
3/4 ounce Lillet Blanc (or Cocchi Americano as noted)
Garnish: mint sprig

Shake with ice until chilled (about 15 seconds, Most people don't shake long enough) and serve up in coupe with mint garnish.

squire
01-19-2013, 11:16
Barton Sunrise with lunch. One ounce Barton, two ounces orange juice, 1/2 ounce grenadine, cherry optional.

MyOldKyDram
01-19-2013, 17:36
Purchased some Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry Bitters tonight, and giving them a go in a Manhattan. Not too bad.

scratchline
01-20-2013, 15:28
Manhattans all day. All made with Perucchi Vermouth and Boker Bitters.

1) Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye. My absolute favorite young rye. Wish I could get this more easily on the east coast. Had to up the percentage given the proof but 2 oz. in a Manhattan works well.

2) Whistlepig 100. Terrific whiskey and my pick of the year when it was first released. But I'm coming around to Chuck's opinion that ryes without sufficient corn in the mash are a little one dimensional. No complaints as the Falcons play for the blow out.

3) Rathskeller Rye. Seelbach Hotel's barrel proof bottling. Great whiskey but a little hot out of the bottle. 1 1/2 oz in a Manhattan and a couple of minutes stirring on ice and it tames down to something transcendent. Or maybe it's just that the 49ers have fought back to make it a game.

To be continued.

squire
01-20-2013, 16:21
Barton Manhattan with Cinzano and Fee Bros bitters, no cherry.

humchan2k
01-25-2013, 18:14
My version of the Toronto Cocktail:

2oz Baby Saz
.75oz Simple
.5oz Fernet Branca
Angostura
Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with flamed orange peel, rub peel on rim of the glass

Serve over one big rock, final quick stir to distribute orange oil.

It's like a Toronto meets the Old Fashioned, cuz I don't serve it up.

smokinjoe
01-25-2013, 19:37
My version of the Toronto Cocktail:

2oz Baby Saz
.75oz Simple
.5oz Fernet Branca
Angostura
Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with flamed orange peel, rub peel on rim of the glass

Serve over one big rock, final quick stir to distribute orange oil.

It's like a Toronto meets the Old Fashioned, cuz I don't serve it up.
Just made it HC2K. Great cocktail. Not sure I did the flamed orange peel correctly, but who cares. I am really enjoying this.
:toast:

DaveOfAtl
01-25-2013, 20:14
After flying from LA yesterday and back to Atlanta today, I'm unwinding with a Manhattan made with Holeman & Finch 100 pf HW Rendezvous, Bokers bitters, and Cocchi vermouth.

DaveOfAtl
01-25-2013, 21:45
Moved on to a Cameron's Kick. 1 oz Blended Scotch (i'm using Great King Street NY Blend); 1 oz Irish Whiskey (I'm using Redbreast 12); 0.5 oz Orgeat; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice. Sounds crazy but it works. Fantastic cocktail.

Alphanumeric
01-26-2013, 00:28
Moved on to a Cameron's Kick. 1 oz Blended Scotch (i'm using Great King Street NY Blend); 1 oz Irish Whiskey (I'm using Redbreast 12); 0.5 oz Orgeat; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice. Sounds crazy but it works. Fantastic cocktail.

Please tell me you're using homemade orgeat with those well-to-do whisk(e)ys. Also, a Cameron's Kick is a beautifully strange concoction.

As for me, tonight was my first attempt at a Clover Club (more for playing around with my new shaker tins and egg white cocktails in general than out of interest in the Clover Club). Quite good, although I did the (homemade) grenadine version instead of the original raspberry syrup one.

DaveOfAtl
01-26-2013, 07:22
Please tell me you're using homemade orgeat with those well-to-do whisk(e)ys. Also, a Cameron's Kick is a beautifully strange concoction.

Didn't make my own orgeat, though I have a good quality store bought version (B.G. Reynolds). I'll have to make my own next time.

squire
01-26-2013, 16:03
You guys are really into this . . . I just had a Manhattan with lunch made with Barton Cinzano and Fee Bros bitters.

jersey12
01-29-2013, 19:28
Just had a manhattan made with Seagrams 7 and I am now very sure that Seagrams 7 is the worst whiskey I've ever tasted. Got the bottle as a gift and thought it'd be good enough to mix but it's really putrid.

squire
01-29-2013, 20:03
One part Barton, 1/2 each of triple sec and lemon juice, two parts ginger ale, don't follow the different names given cocktails, just mix what tastes good.

DaveOfAtl
01-29-2013, 20:52
Manhattan made with 2 oz larceny, 1 oz cocchi vermouth, .5 oz calvados, bokers bitters, and a luxardo cherry. I liked the calvados in it.

Happyhour24x7
01-30-2013, 06:54
Manhattan made with 2 oz larceny, 1 oz cocchi vermouth, .5 oz calvados, bokers bitters, and a luxardo cherry. I liked the calvados in it.
Larceny makes a great Manhattan. haven't added calvados before in a long time, thanks for the reminder to revisit.
Last night had a Diamondback cocktail made from Smooth Ambler Rye.

ratcheer
01-30-2013, 11:50
Last evening, I made up a cocktail and it turned out to be very good. A jigger of Appleton Jamaican rum, a few dashes of Angosture bitters, and a splash of triple sec.

Tim

squire
01-30-2013, 12:46
Bourbon based cocktail using two parts Barton, two parts orange juice, 1/2 part Ameritto, splash of Grenadine.

Alphanumeric
01-30-2013, 22:10
You guys are really into this . . . I just had a Manhattan with lunch made with Barton Cinzano and Fee Bros bitters.

Cocktail-making is serious business.

Alphanumeric
01-30-2013, 22:26
Many worthy cocktails recently, with a simple standout that holds appea for the SB crowd being the Old Pal. 2 pts rye, 1 pt Campari, 1 pt dry vermouth. Its cousin, the Boulevardier, substitutes bourbon for rye and sweet for dry. Sweeter, richer, fuller. Both worth giving a shot.

tanstaafl2
01-31-2013, 07:16
Out for dinner last night at the Iberian Pig and tried several house cocktails featuring rye and bourbon.

The first was called North Park Square with bourbon, sweet vermouth, honey syrup, black tea bitters with a lemon twist. Tasty, a bit on the dry side with a hint of bitterness perhaps because of the black tea bitters.

Next was the house old fashioned with bacon infused rye, maple syrup and angostura bitters.

But my favorite, and I admit to having a sweet tooth, was their variation on the Gramercy variation of the Spanish Harlem (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/spanish-harlem) found in the Kindred Cocktail library. In addition to replacing the vermouth with PX sherry they also replaced the Maraschino liqueur with Averna.

1.5 bourbon, 1 Averna, 0.5 PX sherry (they were using Gonzalez Byass Nectar PX Sherry, very rich and plummy sweet) and angostura bitters garnished with three cherries (which got eaten before I could take a picture!).

A most pleasing drink to me!

Tony
01-31-2013, 08:29
Had a nice Old Fashioned made with Blanton's at a high end restaurant last night.

Best regards, Tony

ErichPryde
01-31-2013, 16:59
Man, a LOT of good cocktail recommendations here....! I had my style of Sazerac cocktail last night. Ron Zacapa XO rum in place of Sugar, the rye was a mixture of early 90's Turkey Rye, 08 Handy, and 08 saz 18. added several dashes of angostura bitters.

squire
01-31-2013, 19:41
Exactly my thought, using rum instead of simple syrup, will have to work on that.

ErichPryde
02-01-2013, 19:48
Last night I had a manhattan at Fleming's made with Vya vermouth. MAN have I been missing out on manhattans. The first couple I had, I hated (years ago). The one last night was absolutely delicious. I'm having another one right now with Rittenhouse BIB.

squire
02-01-2013, 20:19
My luncheon cocktail was made of one ounce Barton, one half ounce peach liqueur, two ounces orange juice and splash of grenadine.

ErichPryde
02-02-2013, 09:43
that sounds pretty friggin' tasty, actually.

squire
02-02-2013, 10:26
It was, actually, so much in fact I'm having another just like it today, which for me may be the start of a trend.

tanstaafl2
02-02-2013, 10:29
My luncheon cocktail was made of one ounce Barton, one half ounce peach liqueur, two ounces orange juice and splash of grenadine.

Sounds like it should be called a Georgia Sunrise, a take off on that 70's college classic, the Tequila Sunrise. They bring back mixed memories for me as the Tequila Sunrise was usually made with the cheapest and worst possible mixto tequila you could find on a college budget.

Of course the guys would usually be drinking beer and feeding the Tequila Sunrises to the coeds in hopes of seeing the sunrise with them...

squire
02-02-2013, 12:32
Actually I developed that one for a coed and called it a Sunset, she was a peach.

BFerguson
02-03-2013, 06:13
A simple sour before dinner.

The remnants of VRO HH, juice of 1 lemon, and a glub of simple syrup.

A quick shake with ice, and pour into glass of choice.

Perfect pre dinner drink.

B

devillighter
02-03-2013, 08:19
Planning on some Baltimore Bangs for the game tonight. One of my favorite bourbon cocktails:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2011/01/14/baltimore-bang/

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz apricot brandy
1/4 oz simple syrup
Twist of orange peel, for garnish

squire
02-03-2013, 09:02
Will probably work up something using Kracken spiced rum as a base.

DaveOfAtl
02-03-2013, 09:20
Planning on some Baltimore Bangs for the game tonight. One of my favorite bourbon cocktails:

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz apricot brandy
1/4 oz simple syrup

This sounds great!

tanstaafl2
02-03-2013, 09:29

1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz apricot brandy
1/4 oz simple syrup

What are you using for the apricot brandy? I usually use Marie Brizzard Apry since true apricot brandy like Barack Palinka tends to be hard to come by and is generally not as sweet as what is typically in the usual apricot mixers. But the MB is pretty decent.

Trey Manthey
02-03-2013, 10:47
I've come into a cache of nice lemons, so I've been focusing on using those up. One of my favorites is the 20th Century, using gin, Tempus Fugit Kina Avion D'or, lemon juice, and Creme de Cacao. Somehow the chocolate and lemon flavors interplay very nicely while distinguishing themselves. The Kina makes the lemon "pop" nicely.

There is also a variation on the classic Last Word cocktail that I've heard called "The Final Ward." This uses rye instead of gin, lemon juice instead of lime, and the same Chartreuse and maraschino. All equal proportions.

I whipped up some homemade orgeat syrup last week using a recipe I found online. I've been making a nice Army Navy cocktail with this. Gin, lemon, orgeat, and some aromatic bitters, usually Angostura. I wouldn't bother making this with off the shelf orgeat, as it lacks the depth of flavor and texture of the homemade stuff.

Finally, I like the way they make an Aviation at one of my local bars, but I keep tweaking it and can't get it to taste as delicious.

All of these have really perfected my cutting of nicely curled lemon twists. I'm like a lemon surgeon now!

SFS
02-03-2013, 10:51
Trey - Can you post a link to the orgeat recipe?

bad_scientist
02-03-2013, 14:10
What are you using for the apricot brandy? I usually use Marie Brizzard Apry since true apricot brandy like Barack Palinka tends to be hard to come by and is generally not as sweet as what is typically in the usual apricot mixers. But the MB is pretty decent.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, since I work in Bawlmore, that less than 0.1% of the city residents have heard of apricot brandy. It's not a criticism - I can't choke down the stuff myself - but putting the name "Baltimore" in a drink invites speculation as to how representative it is.

devillighter
02-03-2013, 21:49

Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot - but I do believe Apry is very similar in profile. I think it is rare for cocktails to call for dry apricot brandy (like an eau de vie - Blume Marillen is an example, from Haus Alpenz who also imports the Rothman and Winter stuff), but like anything there are exceptions.

I don't know, bad_scientist - I will say that good apricot brandy is pretty awesome in a cocktail if used intelligently, but I wouldn't try to drink it on its own. I agree about the .1% comment, but that is probably true about Pappy Van Winkle as well ;). I am from the county myself, so I cannot say I know. I do pick up most of my cocktail ingredients from the Wine Source, however.

devillighter
02-03-2013, 21:53
Here is a decent article on apricot brandy cocktails:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/11/AR2011011103433.html

squire
02-03-2013, 22:20
Thanks for that link, just today we were discussing using apricot brandy in cocktails.

Trey Manthey
02-04-2013, 09:46
Trey - Can you post a link to the orgeat recipe?

Here's the basic recipe I used:
http://www.artofdrink.com/ingredients/syrups/orgeat-syrup/

tanstaafl2
02-04-2013, 14:05
Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot - but I do believe Apry is very similar in profile. I think it is rare for cocktails to call for dry apricot brandy (like an eau de vie - Blume Marillen is an example, from Haus Alpenz who also imports the Rothman and Winter stuff), but like anything there are exceptions.

Yes, they are fairly similar although perhaps the R&W is a bit less sweet. The Apry tends to be easier to find for me although I see the R&W Orchard Apricot around more lately. I have been told that Giffard Abricot du Roussillon is even better but have never had a chance to try it.

I have found the Blume Marillen hard to use as well. Too delicate for most cocktails and too expensive to experiment with! Pretty much just drink it as an apertif or digestif now and again and not likely to replace it when it is gone.

DaveOfAtl
02-05-2013, 20:35
Another Manhattan -- I've been on a month-long tear with them -- this time made with Angel's Envy, Cocchi, and Bokers bitters. The Angel's Envy works pretty well, though not as good as Larceny.

squire
02-05-2013, 21:17
I'm sticking with basics today, one ounce Barton, half ounce triple sec, two ounces ginger ale.

ratcheer
02-06-2013, 05:34
Not really a cocktail, but I've been enjoying Bloody Mary's for the past few weeks. Made with Tanqueray gin and Old Bay seasoning, among the other usual ingredients.

Tim

doubleblank
02-06-2013, 06:06
My wife bought a couple of large jugs of "Simply Limeade" for a party and didn't use it. With the warm weather we've been having in Houston, I've put it to good use in a type of Sour.

2 oz bourbon
4 oz Simply Limeade
6 dashes of Fee's Orange Bitters
A bit of agave syrup
Ice

Add the agave to get the level of sweetness you're looking for...or none at all for a tart drink.

squire
02-06-2013, 10:18
Bourbon and limeade, hmm, some possibilities there. I've usually made Bourbon cocktails with orange or lemon juice and saved lime for rum but there's no reason to limit myself.

GreggJ
02-06-2013, 15:08
As with most of the above posters, I have been on a big Manhattan kick. About a month ago I had an Aged Manhattan at a high end restaurant, it had Whistle Pig, Antica, not sure what bitters and was barrel aged for 30days. I gotta say it was delicious and has sent me on a major Manhattan run. I have dialed in my recipe using Jefferson's 10yo Rye, Noilly Pratt Rouge and Peychards. In a 3oz/.75oz/5drop ratio.

I also just bought a 2L Barrel online earlier this week and am eagerly awaiting its arrival to age my own beverages. I will post my results as it progresses.

ratcheer
02-07-2013, 05:50
Bourbon and limeade, hmm, some possibilities there. I've usually made Bourbon cocktails with orange or lemon juice and saved lime for rum but there's no reason to limit myself.

Yes, one of the oldest standard cocktails is the bourbon rickey which, I am pretty sure, pre-dates the gin rickey.

Tim

squire
02-07-2013, 11:38
Yes, our favorite spirit goes back a ways . . . if the ancient Greek Gods had Bourbon they wouldn't have bothered with ambrosia.

doubleblank
02-07-2013, 18:42
You're right Tim, my drink is very similar to a Rickey. Instead of using a mineral water, I add a bitters for flavor accents. As Col Rickey intended, the drink is refreshing in warm weather.

squire
02-07-2013, 21:03
Speaking of bitters, have any of you fellas used Campari instead of vermouth in a Manhattan?

BFerguson
02-10-2013, 15:11
Speaking of bitters, have any of you fellas used Campari instead of vermouth in a Manhattan?

Nope, but go for it. Use sparingly.

it's funny, when people talk about bitters, the taste component that i do not get from them is bitter. Really a bit of a misnomer.

Campari and soda with a slice of orange, a favorite summer imbiber pre dinner sitting on the patio. Refreshing.

B

BFerguson
02-10-2013, 15:14
no name, but tasty.

EWSB 02-1.25ounce
Germain Robin craft ethod brandy, 0.75 ounce
Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao 0.5 ounce
couple heavy dashes Angostura.

Shaked with ice.

Yum!!

The brandy plays well in this.

B

squire
02-10-2013, 15:57
I understand Campari and soda is so popular in Europe it's sold pre mixed in 12 once cans. I've used it for a good many years over ice or with tonic. Don't happen to have any on hand at the present time but will pick up some eventually.

Trey Manthey
02-10-2013, 16:41

Why not both? One of my favorites is the Boulevardier:
http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyrecipes/r/boulevardier-cocktail-recipe.htm

squire
02-10-2013, 17:42
Thanks Trey, basically switching the gin for Bourbon, a Nergroni is what I was thinking about when the Bourbon/Campari light bulb went off. Never occurred to me to try it before.

Trey Manthey
02-10-2013, 21:08
Yeah, it totally works, but you can mix an amaro with sweet vermouth and anything and it will taste good. I almost always make my Negroni with equal parts, but don't make that mistake with the Boulevardier. I go 2:1:1 or 3:2:2 bourbon:vermouth:amaro.

For something a little more obscure, try the Cocktail a la Louisiane, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails:

3/4 oz. rye whiskey (I use Sazerac or Rittenhouse)
3/4 oz. Benedictine
3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica recommended)
3 dashes absinthe (sub Herbsaint)
3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stirred, strained of course. Garnish with a Luxardo cherry. Delicious.

JPBoston
02-11-2013, 13:23
Made a variation of an old fashioned with Weller 12yr to go with lunch. Instead of simple syrup/sugar, I used a little bit of maple syrup.

First time having a cocktail in over a month, I think. :)

squire
02-11-2013, 15:28
i was thinking of making up a simple syrup using unrefined brown sugar.

tanstaafl2
02-11-2013, 15:43
i was thinking of making up a simple syrup using unrefined brown sugar.

Go big and use real demerara sugar in a nice rich 2:1 ratio! Perfect for rum old fashioned's and tiki drinks. No reason it wouldn't work with bourbon as well!

squire
02-11-2013, 15:49
That's exactly what I was thinking, now to get my hands on the right ingredients.

Mikede1285
02-12-2013, 06:27
Anyone try making any cocktails with some maple sugar? I've got a good friend who's family has a maple farm and he has it pretty readily available. I was just going to substitute it into an old fashioned, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

squire
02-12-2013, 09:30
Old fashioned sounds like a good place to start, let us know how it works out.

Barclay Beach
02-12-2013, 19:56
Anyone try making any cocktails with some maple sugar? I've got a good friend who's family has a maple farm and he has it pretty readily available. I was just going to substitute it into an old fashioned, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I've heard of the Maple Leaf Sazerac. Uses Sortilege maple liqueur in place of simple syrup. I see nothing wrong with that...

tanstaafl2
02-13-2013, 08:09
Yeah, it totally works, but you can mix an amaro with sweet vermouth and anything and it will taste good. I almost always make my Negroni with equal parts, but don't make that mistake with the Boulevardier. I go 2:1:1 or 3:2:2 bourbon:vermouth:amaro.

For something a little more obscure, try the Cocktail a la Louisiane, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails:

3/4 oz. Benedictine

Reminds me of my "Rye, White and Blue" party menu for the 4th of July last year! In addition to this cocktail and about a half dozen Manhattan variations it included 15 other rye cocktails including some classics like the Blinker and the Scofflaw and some from other sources like the PDT Cocktail book. A couple of favorites included the Diamondback and the Rattlesnake (a natural pair!), the Final Ward and one of my favorites, the Rack and Rye (which also works in the demerara sugar syrup).

1 ½ oz Rye (I like Rittenhouse for the proof and to help balance the Batavia Arrack)
¾ oz Batavia Arrack
¼ oz Demarara Syrup
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Angostura Orange Bitters
Stir with ice and strain. Twist orange and lemon peel and discard.

squire
02-13-2013, 08:16
If this rain lets up I'm going to the store for supplies. I was thinking a Barton cocktail with triple sec and apple juice.

Barclay Beach
02-13-2013, 19:29
Man, I underestimated the impact of using a premium whiskey in a cocktail -- always seemed like a waste. Used Handy instead of my customary Rittenhouse for my manhattan tonight (Antica, peychauds). What a difference! Probably won't make it a regular habit, but the quality certainly wasn't lost in the wash.

DaveOfAtl
02-13-2013, 20:38
While not always true, I generally find that a better whiskey makes a better cocktail.

DaveOfAtl
02-14-2013, 18:59
A rough approximation of a Vieux Carre. 1 oz. Rittenhouse, 1 oz. Armagnac (didn't have cognac), 1 oz Vermouth (cocchi), 0.5 oz Calvados (didn't have benedictine, so I just grabbed something), 1 dash Peychauds, 1 dash Angostura. Drinking it up rather than on rocks. Not too bad.

Barclay Beach
02-14-2013, 19:17
A rough approximation of a Vieux Carre. 1 oz. Rittenhouse, 1 oz. Armagnac (didn't have cognac), 1 oz Vermouth (cocchi), 0.5 oz Calvados (didn't have benedictine, so I just grabbed something), 1 dash Peychauds, 1 dash Angostura. Drinking it up rather than on rocks. Not too bad.

Now we're talking... Name it!

smokinjoe
02-14-2013, 19:21

Sounds good, David. I enjoy Vieux Carre's. I don't have Benedictine, either. But, I use B&B. I'm going to make me one now!

DaveOfAtl
02-14-2013, 19:57
Cheers, Joe. Maybe I'll call my version the Overworked Lawyer.

smokinjoe
02-14-2013, 19:58
Sounds good, David. I enjoy Vieux Carre's. I don't have Benedictine, either. But, I use B&B. I'm going to make me one now!

Yummy! :yum: Equal parts Baby Saz and Pierre Ferrand Cognac. 1/2 part Vya Vermouth. Dollop of B&B. Shake of Angostura and Peychauds. On the rocks. :yum:

BourbonJoe
02-15-2013, 02:15
Yummy! :yum: Equal parts Baby Saz and Pierre Ferrand Cognac. 1/2 part Vya Vermouth. Dollop of B&B. Shake of Angostura and Peychauds. On the rocks. :yum:

Just add 2 parts sand and 1 part cement and you can re-pave your driveway.:rolleyes:
Joe :usflag:

smokinjoe
02-15-2013, 05:40
Just add 2 parts sand and 1 part cement and you can re-pave your driveway.:rolleyes:
Joe :usflag:

Well, good morning, Sunshine!

squire
02-15-2013, 07:13
Will probably make up a Manhattan with lunch, I've got a fresh bottle of vermouth that needs to be opened.

jersey12
02-15-2013, 19:21
Made a nice manhattan with the last of my Willett 4 yr rye. Loved this rye in manhattans but in the high 30's around here, doubt I'll re-buy as I didn't dig it on its own.

Barclay Beach
02-16-2013, 11:43
Made a nice manhattan with the last of my Willett 4 yr rye. Loved this rye in manhattans but in the high 30's around here, doubt I'll re-buy as I didn't dig it on its own.

I bought the Willett 4yr rye yesterday in S. jersey for $32 with sipping in mind... Also, picked up some Jeffersons rye for upgraded manhattans. Maybe I'll end up switching purposes for the two. Looking forward to trying em both.

squire
02-16-2013, 18:11
A Bourbon based cocktail using one ounce Barton, half ounce each triple sec, amaretto and lime juice.

jersey12
02-16-2013, 19:47
I bought the Willett 4yr rye yesterday in S. jersey for $32 with sipping in mind... Also, picked up some Jeffersons rye for upgraded manhattans. Maybe I'll end up switching purposes for the two. Looking forward to trying em both.

Interested to hear if your experience is similar to mine with the Willett. Be sure to post your thoughts on it neat and in a manhattan.

jcg9779
02-18-2013, 11:45
A Bourbon based cocktail using one ounce Barton, half ounce each triple sec, amaretto and lime juice.

Sounds interesting Squire...I might have to try this one

jcg9779
02-18-2013, 11:46
I need a good, female-friendly, cocktail that I can serve for a small get together in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts?

(added by edit - I know this is the bourbon section, but if there's a non-bourbon cocktail that you would include please throw it on here)

smokinjoe
02-18-2013, 12:02
I need a good, female-friendly, cocktail that I can serve for a small get together in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts?

(added by edit - I know this is the bourbon section, but if there's a non-bourbon cocktail that you would include please throw it on here)

What, are you expecting Jimmy? :lol:

jcg9779
02-18-2013, 12:48
What, are you expecting Jimmy? :lol:

Bubble Gum vodka over ice with a squeeze of lime. Done!

smokinjoe
02-18-2013, 13:28
Bubble Gum vodka over ice with a squeeze of lime. Done!

Don't forget the 3 marshmallows!

tanstaafl2
02-18-2013, 17:15
Putting the Bubble Gum vodka aside for the moment my typical default spirit to entice newbies to the brown side is rum. Tiki drinks which can in some cases be a bit on the sweeter side can make a persuasive option. Mai Tai's and the like.

One Tiki option is a variation on a classic Sidecar (a traditional sour style cocktail) using rum called the Outrigger. It has the added bonus of being pretty simple.

2 oz aged rum (ED12 or 15 work nicely. Mount Gay XO is another option. Could also try Zacapa if you really want to go sweet. This is a cocktail where a good aged rum is really called for)
1 oz Cointreau (I suggest sticking with the original here or a good quality substitute like Marie Brizzard or Combier)
1/2 oz lemon juice (replacing the lime juice in a Sidecar)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

If you need it to be sweeter adjust the Cointreau up. For less sweet use less Cointreau or more lemon juice.

squire
02-18-2013, 17:46
When I read the post my first thought was rum which I find to be more versatile than vodka. I would sleuth out the young lady's taste (does she like cherry limeade?) and mix up something accordingly using no more than one ounce of 80 proof liquor unless you're sure her tolerance level is higher.

smokinjoe
02-18-2013, 18:02
When I read the post my first thought was rum which I find to be more versatile than vodka. I would sleuth out the young lady's taste (does she like cherry limeade?) and mix up something accordingly using no more than one ounce of 80 proof liquor unless you're sure her tolerance level is higher.

I'll bet you that back-in-the-day Squire, you weren't as interested that she stay under her tolerance level. ;)

Barclay Beach
02-18-2013, 19:21

Look no further... Ladies love St Germain:

1.5 oz. Vodka
.75 oz. St-Germain
1.5 oz. fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
2 dashes Peychauds bitters
Squeeze of lime

Barclay Beach
02-18-2013, 19:31
Interested to hear if your experience is similar to mine with the Willett. Be sure to post your thoughts on it neat and in a manhattan.

Very similar experience, Jersey. The Willett makes for an outstanding manhattan, perfect integration. Poured neat it was decent, but not my preferred profile -- a little on the briny and piney side, whereas I prefer baking spices.

squire
02-18-2013, 20:53
You know what they say Joe, candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

DaveOfAtl
02-20-2013, 17:48
Trying something new tonight . . . the "Newark" out of the PDT cocktail book: 2 oz. apple brandy (using Calvados), 1 oz. sweet vermouth (Dolin), .25 oz Fernet Branca, .25 Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo). It's really good, but I'm thinking it would have been better with bourbon or rye rather than the Calvados. The apple is the dominant flavor.

squire
02-20-2013, 17:54
One ounce Barton, half ounce Ivanabitch peach liqueur, two ounces ginger ale.

humchan2k
02-20-2013, 18:55
Trying something new tonight . . . the "Newark" out of the PDT cocktail book: 2 oz. apple brandy (using Calvados), 1 oz. sweet vermouth (Dolin), .25 oz Fernet Branca, .25 Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo). It's really good, but I'm thinking it would have been better with bourbon or rye rather than the Calvados. The apple is the dominant flavor.

I bet that'd be awesome with Apple Brandy like Laird's, instead of Calvados?

humchan2k
02-20-2013, 19:01

Mojito - Use rum to be easy, cachaca if you're feeling frisky.

Tom Collins - if your chicks dig gin.

Bourbon For Chicks - Boston/Whiskey Sour - AKA - The Best Chick Drink Ever.

2oz Buffalo Trace
1oz Fresh Lemon Juice
1oz Simple Syrup
1 egg white

shake vigorously without ice to emulsify the egg, add ice, shake again, strain into a prechilled glass.

Flame Orange Peel.

DaveOfAtl
02-20-2013, 19:17
I bet that'd be awesome with Apple Brandy like Laird's, instead of Calvados?

I bet you are right.

DaveOfAtl
02-20-2013, 19:34
.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.

humchan2k
02-20-2013, 21:37
I bet you are right.

Well then, find out!

humchan2k
02-20-2013, 21:39
.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.

Kindred Spirits, right there. Damn, that sounds good.

I like how you're going balance here......I'd be more Golden Ratio...nice idea.

squire
02-21-2013, 09:05
I like the recipe though I might drop the vermouth and change the proportions a bit, looks good.

tanstaafl2
02-21-2013, 13:57

Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...

squire
02-21-2013, 14:08
Lunch cocktail . . . 1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz Eristoff Red Sloe berry vodka, 2 oz ginger ale.

DaveOfAtl
02-21-2013, 14:19
Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...

You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane? :grin:

tanstaafl2
02-21-2013, 14:38
You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane? :grin:

A Wooden Airplane works for me!

The history of the drink is a bit murky but seems to be that it started as the "Paper Plane" using EC and Aperol from Milk and Honey in NYC and it was the version made at the Violet Hour in Chicago that used Campari instead of Aperol (and BT bourbon instead of EC) that was called the "Paper Airplane". Usually it was made with EC12 and not 18 or 20 of course!

I have had a variation of this with rye, Gran Classico, lemon juice and Amaro CioCiaro which was dubbed the "Balsa Airplane".

Yet another tasty variation substitutes Ramazotti for Nonino. Another version I have heard of is the "Lead Balloon" using Stagg!

jersey12
02-21-2013, 20:28
Very similar experience, Jersey. The Willett makes for an outstanding manhattan, perfect integration. Poured neat it was decent, but not my preferred profile -- a little on the briny and piney side, whereas I prefer baking spices.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone in my thoughts on the Willett. If I can it find around $30 I might pick up another bottle as it did make a fabulous manhattan. Did you you crack the Jefferson rye yet?

squire
02-22-2013, 20:16
Today's luncheon cocktail was 1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz each of amaretto and triple sec, two oz pineapple juice. Sort of a whisky sour I suppose, I'm just combining things to find what works best for my tastes.

Being retired I have the time and inclination to pursue such things to their logical conclusion.

DaveOfAtl
02-23-2013, 06:53

3/4 oz. Benedictine

Tried this last night and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

squire
02-23-2013, 07:43
Going red today with pomegranate liqueur, triple sec and ginger ale, haven't decided if I will use rum or Bourbon as the main ingredient.

compliance
02-23-2013, 14:43
Drinking irish coffee this afternoon. I finally found the legit recipe which tastes just like the ones i had all over Ireland.

4-5oz coffee
1 tsp brown sugar - add to hot coffee and mix in
1.5oz Jameson - add to coffee/sugar and stir
float 1/2" partially whipped heavy cream on top by pouring over a spoon

Eventually I plan to experiment by substituting bourbon for the Jameson, but so far I haven't messed with a good thing. Jameson is harsh straight but it tastes just right in an Irish coffee.

squire
02-23-2013, 14:55
Decided to use Barton, which worked our rather well. Will try rum next.

ratcheer
02-23-2013, 17:08
I made a very good cocktail, this evening. It started out to be just a standard Old Fashioned cocktail with sugar, a little water, Angostura bitters, and Bulleit rye. I was just about to garnish it with a lemon slice when I spied my bottle of Stirrings blood orange bitters when I was putting the rye whiskey away. I decided, what the heck, added a healthy splash of the Stirrings, and my cocktail was wonderful.

Tim

bad_scientist
02-24-2013, 11:47
I made a very good cocktail, this evening. It started out to be just a standard Old Fashioned cocktail with sugar, a little water, Angostura bitters, and Bulleit rye. I was just about to garnish it with a lemon slice when I spied my bottle of Stirrings blood orange bitters when I was putting the rye whiskey away. I decided, what the heck, added a healthy splash of the Stirrings, and my cocktail was wonderful.

Tim

Sounds delicious! Bulleit rye old-fashioned are among the great simple pleasures in my life.

bad_scientist
02-24-2013, 11:54
I was really struck by something Squire had posted, to the effect that we should keep in mind when tasting dusties that they were not necessarily intended to be consumed straight. With that in mind, I made an old fashioned last night with ND OGD, simple syrup, a dash each of orange, grapefruit, and Angostura bitters (don't remember who makes the first two). I dropped in an enormous cube of ice, the kind that melts very slowly.

I'm telling you, the whiskey was transformed! I got a caramel-coated apple note with a bit of a rye kick in the finish. My wife picked up a rose petal note she found prominent. The butterscotch that is so strong in the whiskey almost completely disappeared. To be honest, I like this much better than ND OGD neat.

T Comp
02-24-2013, 19:45
I was really struck by something Squire had posted, to the effect that we should keep in mind when tasting dusties that they were not necessarily intended to be consumed straight. With that in mind, I made an old fashioned last night with ND OGD, simple syrup, a dash each of orange, grapefruit, and Angostura bitters (don't remember who makes the first two). I dropped in an enormous cube of ice, the kind that melts very slowly.

I'm telling you, the whiskey was transformed! I got a caramel-coated apple note with a bit of a rye kick in the finish. My wife picked up a rose petal note she found prominent. The butterscotch that is so strong in the whiskey almost completely disappeared. To be honest, I like this much better than ND OGD neat.

So Scientist (I'm sure you're actually a good one :grin:), sounds good and am going to take your advice and try this with some ND distillate myself. I had a nice discussion with Bob/Whiskeylegs last gazebo (an accomplished beer brewer) about the contradiction of butterscotch diacetyl being favored by enthusiasts so much in dusty whiskey but certainly abhored in beer brewing.

Barclay Beach
03-02-2013, 16:43
Cocktail hour with the wife, so we're doing...

OWA (she doesn't know it's 107p) +
Homemade ginger syrup (ginger, lime, sugar, chili pepper) +
Lemon juice +
Touch of honey +
Splash of soda

Loosely inspired by the penicillin.

squire
03-02-2013, 18:14
Barton
Triple sec
Sloe/Raspberry liqueur
vanilla cream soda

SFS
03-02-2013, 18:19
Squire you had me inspired and excited until the last line.

smokinjoe
03-02-2013, 20:07
The Four Roses booth at the Beer Bourbon & Barbeque Festival was pouring a cocktail along with 4RSB, SmBatch, and Yellow Label. No name, but they said it had:
4Roses
Grapefruit Juice
Lemon Juice
Honey Syrup (1/2 honey & 1/2 water)
Bitters (Peychauds, though the guy said Angostura is he preferred)

Anywho, it was delicious. Going in, I thought it would suck. My question, though, and here's where I need the help...anyone ever had such a thing, and would you know what the proportions might be? Dude told me...but, there was a lot of bourbon and beer during the day...:crazy:

DaveOfAtl
03-03-2013, 06:49
The Four Roses booth at the Beer Bourbon & Barbeque Festival was pouring a cocktail along with 4RSB, SmBatch, and Yellow Label. No name, but they said it had:
4Roses
Grapefruit Juice
Lemon Juice
Honey Syrup (1/2 honey & 1/2 water)
Bitters (Peychauds, though the guy said Angostura is he preferred)

Anywho, it was delicious. Going in, I thought it would suck. My question, though, and here's where I need the help...anyone ever had such a thing, and would you know what the proportions might be? Dude told me...but, there was a lot of bourbon and beer during the day...:crazy:

Sounds really close to a Brown Derby, which to the best of my recollection is 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz. Grapefruit Juice, and 0.5 oz. honey syrup. I made them last year for a July 4th party . . . a very good hot weather drink. No reason the bitters wouldn't work.

Hope y'all had fun at the BB&B festival. I continued my streak of having to work while it was going on.

squire
03-03-2013, 07:04
That looks good Joe, I'll have to get some grapefruit juice.

DaveOfAtl
03-05-2013, 18:25
Improvising tonight. 2 oz. EC 12 year, 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth, 0.5 oz Campari, 0.25 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Fernet Branca. Chilled and strained over ice sphere. Not bad if I do say so myself.

squire
03-05-2013, 18:39
I was intrigued with the idea of Bourbon and lime juice which led to this:

1 oz Grand Dad BIB
1/2 oz triple sec
2 oz Minute Maid cherry limeade

The sweetness of the triple sec offsets the tartness of the cherry limeade very nicely.

DaveOfAtl
03-05-2013, 18:50
Something I came across online called the Fire Cherry Cocktail. 3 oz. EC 12, 0.5 Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Port, 0.25 Campari, 2 dashes Bokers bitters. I strained over a big cube.

Barclay Beach
03-05-2013, 21:01
Something I came across online called the Fire Cherry Cocktail. 3 oz. EC 12, 0.5 Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Port, 0.25 Campari, 2 dashes Bokers bitters. I strained over a big cube.

Sounds real good. How would you describe the flavor of Luxardo Maraschino? I understand it doesn't taste like cherries, exactly. Been tempted to buy a bottle, but I can't seem to get a sense for what it tastes like.

DaveOfAtl
03-06-2013, 07:26
Sounds real good. How would you describe the flavor of Luxardo Maraschino? I understand it doesn't taste like cherries, exactly. Been tempted to buy a bottle, but I can't seem to get a sense for what it tastes like.

It's a little hard to describe, especially since I haven't tasted it much on its own. It is very viscous but not overly sweet. I do get some cherry flavor in it, but it is also has some herbal notes.

squire
03-06-2013, 12:59
Luncheon treat:

1 oz Mellow Corn
.5 oz triple sec
2 oz orange juice
dash grenadine

Barclay Beach
03-06-2013, 19:05
It's a little hard to describe, especially since I haven't tasted it much on its own. It is very viscous but not overly sweet. I do get some cherry flavor in it, but it is also has some herbal notes.

That's helpful, Dave. Passed on it today because it's $27 in PA. I've seen it in NJ for closer to $22, so I'll hold out a little while longer.

I did manage to buy a fresh bottle of Antica. Wish PA carried Dolin for some variety.

DaveOfAtl
03-08-2013, 20:54
The Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz. WT Rye 101, 0.25 Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Simple Syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Strained over large cube in absinthe rinsed rocks glass.

squire
03-09-2013, 05:53
1 oz El Dorado 3 yr Rum
.5 oz Parma pomegranate liqueur
2 oz ginger ale

Barclay Beach
03-09-2013, 19:57
The Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz. WT Rye 101, 0.25 Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Simple Syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Strained over large cube in absinthe rinsed rocks glass.

OK, bought some Luxardo today... and made this so-called "Improved Whiskey Cocktail"... and I must say, real nice.

Also, grabbed some Dolin varieties and made an adapted boulevardier (EC12, Dolin sweet, Campari, luxardo).

Thanks for the inspiration, Dave!

DaveOfAtl
03-10-2013, 08:42
OK, bought some Luxardo today... and made this so-called "Improved Whiskey Cocktail"... and I must say, real nice.

Also, grabbed some Dolin varieties and made an adapted boulevardier (EC12, Dolin sweet, Campari, luxardo).

Thanks for the inspiration, Dave!

Sort of like a cross between an old fashioned and a Sazerac, isn't it? Glad I could inspire you to pick up the Luxardo.

Barclay Beach
03-10-2013, 15:26
Sort of like a cross between an old fashioned and a Sazerac, isn't it? Glad I could inspire you to pick up the Luxardo.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. The absinthe rinse (I used herbsaint) added a nice aromatic quality without strongly influencing the flavor. Next time (read, any moment) I'll try with some orange bitters. Picked up some Bitter Truth brand bitters that I'm eager to put to use.

bigtoys
03-10-2013, 16:49
trying my mioxology skills with so so results. have had similar cocktails, but with something sweet, like thyme simple syrup and walnut bitters.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130310_171648_384_zpsea09e934.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130310_172736_018-1_zps9b2110e2.jpg

Tony
03-10-2013, 16:54
Had a great Sazerac at the Raven's Club in Ann Arbor Michigan last night.

Barclay Beach
03-10-2013, 19:25
Manhattan variation, 2:1 + 2 dashes:

EC12
Dolin Blanc (not dry)
Bitter Truth Orange Bitters

Very elegant, very drinkable.

black mamba
03-10-2013, 21:30
The only cocktail I drink is a summer one, very refreshing.

Tall glass, rocks, 2-3 oz. anejo tequila, splash of lemon juice, 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters, fill glass with Sierra Mist.

humchan2k
03-11-2013, 18:48
Here's the problem I see with those ingredients - you lack a sweetener. Solerno is not sweet and is pretty light in flavor, Averna is a MONSTER of an Amaro.....and orange bitters will get drowned by Averna completely.

Here's what I'd do, if I were you:

2oz Whistlepig
.75oz Simple
.5oz Averna
.25oz Solerno
Angostura, NOT Orange Bitters

Stir with ice, strain, serve over one big cube in a chilled glass

Garnish - 1/4 of an entire lemon's peel....go BIG on garnish to help fight the Averna trying to take over.

I bet that'll be rad.

Please report back, I'm putting $100 on black on this one.

RT Fan
03-12-2013, 13:01
My winter weather Saturday night usual a CC Manhattan.
In a LARGE rock glass: 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 Silver Palate Maraschino cherry w/ a small amount of the juice, add plenty of ice cubes & fill with Canadian Club whiskey. Add a floater of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, gently swirl. My favorite cocktail, I have tried variations using Rittenhouse BIB 100 proof as well as Dolin Sweet Vermouth, all have their attributes but I keep returning to my old stand by. For the record I find bourbon Manhattans just too sweet, & I never acquired a taste for Rob Roys either. The vermouth I store in the fridge after opening, otherwise I find it will degrade over time.

black mamba
03-14-2013, 21:58
Reading this thread has spurred me on to try something, and it turned out great.

1 part Grand Marnier, 2 parts Laphroaig Triple Wood, 3 parts Marie Duffau Napolean Armagnac, 2-3 dashes Angostura Bitters.

Shake with two ice cubes to chill and serve. The rich, smokey, citrus sweetness has to be tasted to be appreciated. Sounds wild, tastes great!

squire
03-15-2013, 09:01
Actually it sounds good to me mamba, I'm in favor of scotch based cocktails.

smokinjoe
03-15-2013, 14:42
Calling it a week, so sittin' out back enjoying sunny skies and 75 degree temps with a gin& tonic. Leopold's gin, Q Tonic Water, and a healthy sized and squeezed silly chunk 'o lime. All over a heap 'o ice, in a big 'o tumbler. The concoction is delicious with loads 'o cool dryness. Yummy 'o!

OscarV
03-15-2013, 14:53
Calling it a week, so sittin' out back enjoying sunny skies and 75 degree temps with a gin& tonic. Leopold's gin, Q Tonic Water, and a healthy sized and squeezed silly chunk 'o lime. All over a heap 'o ice, in a big 'o tumbler. The concoction is delicious with loads 'o cool dryness. Yummy 'o!

Joe your'e just rubbing it in!
Gin & Tonic,..really?
In mid March?
C'mon, be nice.

jersey12
03-15-2013, 19:58
Just finished 5:1 manhattan with OGD BiB. While I usually prefer my manhattans with rye, OGD is probably my favorite for bourbon based ones.

squire
03-15-2013, 20:45
Grand Dad is my favorite Manhattan Bourbon as well jersey.

jersey12
03-15-2013, 21:41
Grand Dad is my favorite Manhattan Bourbon as well jersey.

Squire, didn't know you we're a fan of OGD, haha!

But seriously, a wonderful cocktail that I may have to do again tomorrow.

tanstaafl2
03-16-2013, 10:47
Last night I was test driving one of the planned cocktails for my St. Patty's gathering this evening.

Wilde Heart
1.5 Black Bush
0.75 Amaro CioCiaro
0.25 Cherry Heering

Stir with ice, strain and serve up.

A pretty heavy hitter as a cocktail with the pleasant sweet fullness from the BB and a slight bitter edge to help balance it from the amaro. The Cherry Heering kind of gets lost in the middle but is no doubt an important addition to help maintain the proper balance.

Definitely one to keep in mind going forward.

squire
03-16-2013, 10:51
Try this one, .5 oz blended Scotch whisky, .25 oz each of triple sec and amaretto, 1.0 oz ginger ale.

tanstaafl2
03-16-2013, 10:56
Deleted by poster. Not sure how to delete a reply.

omgmarclol
03-16-2013, 22:28
2:1 martini
martin miller's westbourne strength gin
m&r dry
dash of angostura orange

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/myambao/bar/IMG_2526_zps2e1c904a.jpg

simple ETL OF
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/myambao/bar/8a1c8518-a9ba-4239-b273-beab76926233_zps0cf89936.jpg

HighInTheMtns
03-17-2013, 08:30
Bloody Marys this morning for my wife and me, using High West Silver oat whiskey in place of the vodka.

Trey Manthey
03-17-2013, 16:26
2:1 martini
martin miller's westbourne strength gin
m&r dry
dash of angostura orange

Love the gin, hate the vermouth.

omgmarclol
03-17-2013, 16:45
vermouth in general or M&R in particular? it's what i had at the time. i'm not a particularly big martini snob or a vermouth expert, i've only really had sweet and dries of noily and M&R.

Alphanumeric
03-17-2013, 22:20
Recently been trying a lot of the Top Picks cocktails off of Fred Yarm's Cocktail Virgin blog. Some satisfying drinks, and a great way to use up my homemade ingredients to boot.

In honor of some saint, tonight was a more traditional cocktail: the Irish take on a Bijou, a.k.a. a Tipperary.

2 pts. Irish whiskey (Clontarf)
1 pt. green Chartreuse
1 pt. sweet vermouth (Dolin)

squire
03-17-2013, 22:43
Barton with coffee, a pick me up after the St. Pat's party.

Trey Manthey
03-18-2013, 08:21
vermouth in general or M&R in particular? it's what i had at the time. i'm not a particularly big martini snob or a vermouth expert, i've only really had sweet and dries of noily and M&R.

I'll admit to being a bit of a vermouth snob, but not an expert.

I prefer Dolin or Vya dry with a classic gin martini. M&R in particular, especially if you are going 2:1, is not that tasty. Just one man's opinion, though.

Martin Miller's Westbourne is at the top of my gin list, though. It really sings with a touch of citrus, so I just go for an orange peel or lemon twist!

squire
03-18-2013, 11:15
Still hard to beat Beefeaters, but for a change every now and then Plymouth will do.

tanstaafl2
03-18-2013, 11:40
The Tipperary was one of the options for my St. Patty's gathering on Saturday evening although I used The Irishman single malt, Carpano Antica, green chartreuse and a touch of rich simple syrup along with a couple of dashes of orange bitters to liven it up a bit. I thought it was quite good and my guests seemed to agree!

But then who doesn't like free drinks...

Recently been trying a lot of the Top Picks cocktails off of Fred Yarm's Cocktail Virgin blog. Some satisfying drinks, and a great way to use up my homemade ingredients to boot.

In honor of some saint, tonight was a more traditional cocktail: the Irish take on a Bijou, a.k.a. a Tipperary.

2 pts. Irish whiskey (Clontarf)
1 pt. green Chartreuse
1 pt. sweet vermouth (Dolin)

Trey Manthey
03-20-2013, 19:34
Getting back to the Negroni with Martin Miller's Westbourne, Cynar, and Carpano Antica.

DaveOfAtl
03-20-2013, 20:13
A fancy Cameron's Kick tonight and it is insanely good. I only feel a little bit guilty using such quality whiskey in a cocktail. I went with 1 oz. Lag 16, 1 oz. The Irishman Single Malt, 0.5 oz lemon juice, 0.5 oz. orgeat. Shaken and strained into chilled glass with flamed orange peel. The Lag 16 puts this over the top for me.

clingman71
03-20-2013, 21:00
After watching the gents at Century Bar make Old Fashioneds the other night, I decided to give it a go . I've never been into cocktails, always been a neat, splash, or occasional rocks guy. Made one with SB blend and one with WTR101, liked both, but leaned slightly to the bourbon. I'm thinking next two I'll try OWA and OGD 100 or 114. I can see this being the summer of the Old Fashioned. Any whiskey and/or recipe advice appreciated.

Trey Manthey
03-20-2013, 21:36
After watching the gents at Century Bar make Old Fashioneds the other night, I decided to give it a go . I've never been into cocktails, always been a neat, splash, or occasional rocks guy. Made one with SB blend and one with WTR101, liked both, but leaned slightly to the bourbon. I'm thinking next two I'll try OWA and OGD 100 or 114. I can see this being the summer of the Old Fashioned. Any whiskey and/or recipe advice appreciated.

I'm surprised you liked the wheated bourbon, as the don't mix well in my opinion. For me, a decent rye or non-wheated bourbon does the trick, and the spice will stand out from the sugar/bitters. Ritt BIB, WT101 rye, OGD 114, BT, or FRSB are all possibilities. I've made some with Saz18 and that was fun.

I keep it simple: drop a sugar cube into a glass, and do two to three dashes of Angostura, enough to saturate the cube. Add a teaspoon of water, and mix/muddle together. Add some large ice cubes and pour two ounces of rye/bourbon over the cube. Stir gently and serve!

squire
03-20-2013, 21:52
For me a heavy rye Bourbon such as Old Grand Dad served the dual purpose of substitution when the recipe calls for either a Rye or a Bourbon.

Alphanumeric
03-20-2013, 22:58
Getting back to the Negroni with Martin Miller's Westbourne, Cynar, and Carpano Antica.

Technically, not a Negroni but a Gin-Cyn-Cin. I only correct because Campari holds a special place in my heart. (Yet surprisingly, the Negroni does not.)

Alphanumeric
03-20-2013, 23:02
A fancy Cameron's Kick tonight and it is insanely good. I only feel a little bit guilty using such quality whiskey in a cocktail. I went with 1 oz. Lag 16, 1 oz. The Irishman Single Malt, 0.5 oz lemon juice, 0.5 oz. orgeat. Shaken and strained into chilled glass with flamed orange peel. The Lag 16 puts this over the top for me.

No need to feel guilty. In my opinion, diminishing returns in relation to cocktails doesn't begin to apply until slightly after Lag 16's price point.

Trey Manthey
03-20-2013, 23:04
Quite right, but I call anything with gin, sweet vermouth, and a bitter amaro a Negroni.

See Gran Classico, Punt a Mes, Cynar, and a more recent favorite, Braulio Alpino!

Wryguy
03-21-2013, 05:10
Quite right, but I call anything with gin, sweet vermouth, and a bitter amaro a Negroni.

See Gran Classico, Punt a Mes, Cynar, and a more recent favorite, Braulio Alpino!

Punt e Mes is a vermouth, not an amaro. I fully support negroni and manhattan variations using the products you list above. Try this Manhattan: 2 oz Rittenhouse BiB, .5 oz Punt e Mes, .25 oz Dolin Sweet, 2 dashes Ango, 1 dash Reagan's Orange bitter, garnished with a flamed orange twist

DaveOfAtl
03-21-2013, 05:59
No need to feel guilty. In my opinion, diminishing returns in relation to cocktails doesn't begin to apply until slightly after Lag 16's price point.

Interesting and I can't disagree with you. The Lag 16 Cameron's Kick was light years ahead of the normal version I make with a basic blended scotch.

clingman71
03-21-2013, 06:18
I'm surprised you liked the wheated bourbon, as the don't mix well in my opinion. For me, a decent rye or non-wheated bourbon does the trick, and the spice will stand out from the sugar/bitters. Ritt BIB, WT101 rye, OGD 114, BT, or FRSB are all possibilities. I've made some with Saz18 and that was fun.

I keep it simple: drop a sugar cube into a glass, and do two to three dashes of Angostura, enough to saturate the cube. Add a teaspoon of water, and mix/muddle together. Add some large ice cubes and pour two ounces of rye/bourbon over the cube. Stir gently and serve!

Thanks for the info. As to the wheater not mixing well, it could simply have been the case that the SB was made better than the WTR101 being that these were the first two attempts. In my mind I'm thinking OGD114, but I need to get to NKy to get a bottle, not sold in Ohio.

ratcheer
03-21-2013, 07:06
I "invented" another nice one, yesterday. No doubt it has probably been done before, but it came to the top of my cluttered mind and I couldn't rest until I tried it. It came out pretty good.

Basically, I just made a Manhattan cocktail in a tall glass, then filled it with ice cubes and club soda. I thought of the result as a Manhattan Highball.

Tim

Trey Manthey
03-21-2013, 08:59
Punt e Mes is a vermouth, not an amaro.

I know, I know, thanks for being anal. I was just espousing some ingredients I regularly swap out for the traditional vermouth and Campari. I should have mentioned Byrrh in there as well.

Your manhattan recipe sounds decent!

Last night I thought I invented The White Negroni using Kina Avion D'Or, but turns out it was already invented and published by the Washington Post.

Brisko
03-21-2013, 09:48
Let me start by saying that this is a cocktail somewhat born of necessity. One of my employees bought be a bottle of Jagermeister for my birthday, because she knows I am fond of black licorice (and she was overwhelmed by the whiskey aisle).

I do occasionally enjoy a shot of Jag right out of the freezer, but the sickly-sweet finish kind of kills it for me. So I tried adding some rye (Dickel, at first). I mixed about 4:1 rye:Jag. Actually it's pretty tasty! I'm still experimenting to find the right ratio.

Anyone have any ideas on garnishes and presentation? I would think a lemon twist might be decent. Any other ingredients I should add? I tried Angostura bitters which was interesting, but I find I prefer it without.

SFS
03-21-2013, 12:19
Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.

Brisko
03-21-2013, 12:53
Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.
Just building it, at the moment but stirring would be the way to go to chill it. Aperol, hmm? Not familiar with it but I see it's on sale down at Surdyk's.

squire
03-21-2013, 13:46
Aperol is an Italian bitter aperitif that is a somewhat less bold version of the much more famous Campari. They are in fact made by the same company.

Trey Manthey
03-22-2013, 19:55
I was informed that a cocktail I have never been able to make to my satisfaction, the Blood and Sand, won't work without fresh blood oranges. This information turned out to be quite accurate. Time to stock up on blood oranges and start experimenting!

ratcheer
03-23-2013, 18:09
This afternoon's cocktail was one I had never tried before, the Negroni. 1 oz Tanqueray gin, 1 oz Campari, and 1 oz red vermouth, on the rocks in a tall glass. Very tasty!

Tim

squire
03-23-2013, 18:41
That one is a classic Tim, well worth revisiting.

rndenks
03-27-2013, 19:40
Out to dinner tonight I had a "Noir Manhattan". It was made with Maker’s 46, Carpana Antica Vermouth,Noval Black, Barrel Aged Bitters.

I believe the Noval Black is a port, but I am not sure it added anything. All in all it was nice to try something different.

squire
03-28-2013, 13:31
Yeah, Noval is a port, do they give out the recipe?

omgmarclol
03-28-2013, 20:34
made myself a refreshing white lady.

rndenks
03-28-2013, 20:39
Yeah, Noval is a port, do they give out the recipe?

I never really thought to ask, but I will next time I go there to eat. It did not really impress me to the point that I thought I would try to recreate it at home.

brettckeen
03-30-2013, 11:22
Made a few Boulevardiers the past two days. Is this going to be the old fashion of 2013?

tanstaafl2
03-30-2013, 11:42
Made a few Boulevardiers the past two days. Is this going to be the old fashion of 2013?

The Boulevardier has been generating some recent discussion on another board and this variation (and it is a big variation) seems to be popular. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but intend to soon!

Boulevardier Riff
by Fred Sarkis, Sable Kitchen & Bar, Chicago, IL
1 1/2 oz Bourbon, WL Weller
3/4 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina
1 pinch Salt (small amount)
2 dash Orange bitters

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass

The Left Hand (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/left-hand) and the 1794 (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/1794) variations also had some fans. I will get to them eventually!

brettckeen
03-30-2013, 12:05
Cool, Ill have one sunday when I'm at Sable for dinner!

tanstaafl2
03-30-2013, 16:36
Cool, Ill have one sunday when I'm at Sable for dinner!

No idea if that particular bartender is still there but if so will be curious to hear what you think of it.

jtexaslonestar
03-30-2013, 18:45
Drinking last night's campfire in some yummy Ardbeg Alligator.

Barclay Beach
03-30-2013, 19:57
The Boulevardier has been generating some recent discussion on another board and this variation (and it is a big variation) seems to be popular. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but intend to soon!

Boulevardier Riff
by Fred Sarkis, Sable Kitchen & Bar, Chicago, IL
1 1/2 oz Bourbon, WL Weller
3/4 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina
1 pinch Salt (small amount)
2 dash Orange bitters

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass

The Left Hand (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/left-hand) and the 1794 (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/1794) variations also had some fans. I will get to them eventually!

That Left Hand sounds good.

I vary my Boulevardier by adding Luxardo Maraschino. Tried that, with orange bitters, but found it too bitter.

bigtoys
03-31-2013, 08:59
3-1-1...just like TSA.
that's how I remember the proportions. 3 parts bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Cherry Grand Marnier. a few dashes orange bitters.
In this case, George T Stagg (!!), Noilly Prat, Angostura
Big round ice cube--figured it'd help with the GTS

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMG_20130330_155937_646-1_zps00046ab3.jpg

squire
03-31-2013, 11:47
Still working on Manhattan recipes, I know, what I've posted before may be a drink called by another name but I think more in terms of proportion.

1 oz Barton
.25 oz Eristoff (a sloe-rasberry infused spirit)
.25 oz Amaretto
1 oz ginger ale (optional)

Shake with cracked ice and serve chilled

brettckeen
04-01-2013, 15:41
No idea if that particular bartender is still there but if so will be curious to hear what you think of it.
Well I had one Fred wasn't working, I am not sure if he still works there. But the classic Boulevardier was executed with perfection. I really need to up my game on that drink.

brettckeen
04-01-2013, 15:42
I also had it with grandad bonded I prefer high rye bourbon for my bourbon cocktails

tanstaafl2
04-01-2013, 16:26
I also had it with grandad bonded I prefer high rye bourbon for my bourbon cocktails

You had a classic or the riff noted above? Or both?

squire
04-01-2013, 16:29
Luncheon cocktail:

1 oz Barton
.25 oz each amaretto and Eristof
1 oz ginger ale

brettckeen
04-01-2013, 16:34
You had a classic or the riff noted above? Or both? It was the classic I couldn't find the riff in the menu and didn't want to bother the mixologist more than I must those guys are always busy.

squire
04-01-2013, 16:37
They're busy because we are paying them, our requests are not intrusions.

brettckeen
04-01-2013, 16:47
They're busy because we are paying them, our requests are not intrusions.
Being a professional bartender, I am empathetic to their situation, I am unwilling to take up someones time with questions when they could be making money on another customer. They are my equal, not my servant.

squire
04-01-2013, 16:50
You're too busy to take my order?

tanstaafl2
04-01-2013, 17:00
Sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to try it.

I'm not a bartender (although I know many). I would probably have asked but knowing they are busy I would be willing to let them do it in their own time. Most have been willing to accomodate me. In fact most seem to appreciate someone looking for something a bit different. Especially in a place that makes its name as a place for good cocktails.

Trey Manthey
04-02-2013, 10:09
Tried this one at Perestroika @ Pravda in New Orleans on Easter, and was easy enough to recreate at home. It's less boozy than a Negroni or Boulevardier, with a little more savory and less bitter than those two. Nice recipe:

1.5 oz Cocci Americano (I subbed Kina Avion D'Or)
1 oz Bols Genever
.75 oz Campari
Barspoon of cinnamon syrup
10 drops of Regan's Orange bitters

Stirred, strained into chilled coupe.

Tony
04-02-2013, 11:19
Had myself a Nor'Easter that was very tasty-

1 ½ ounces Old Crow bourbon, or any bourbon of your choice
½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
½ ounce pure maple syrup
1 ½ ounces ginger beer (if you’re a Brooklynite, Stinky (http://www.stinkybklyn.com/) has a great one)
1 lime slice, for garnish

In a cocktail shaker, combine the bourbon, lime juice, and maple syrup with ice cubes. Shake vigorously. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer and garnish with the lime.

Brisko
04-05-2013, 13:09
My wife's sister is in town and has requested amaretto sours tonight. I'm out of simple syrup at the moment-- wondering if I use lemon juice and triple sec if that will work? Or maybe a little fresh orange juice to balance the lemon? What do you guys think?

tanstaafl2
04-05-2013, 13:49
My wife's sister is in town and has requested amaretto sours tonight. I'm out of simple syrup at the moment-- wondering if I use lemon juice and triple sec if that will work? Or maybe a little fresh orange juice to balance the lemon? What do you guys think?

Simple syrup is pretty easy to make. I would avoid orange juice as it can take over a drink pretty quickly and I don't think it would work here.

Not something I drink often but this recipe from Jeffrey Morgenthaler ain't half bad.

1½ oz amaretto (He uses Lazzaroni amaretto, but DiSaronno works)
¾ oz cask-proof bourbon (He specifies Booker’s, but OGD 114 or other higher proof bourbon would work)
1 oz lemon juice
1 tsp. 2:1 rich simple syrup
½ oz egg white, beaten (I like egg white drinks but not everyone does. I use pasteurized egg white rather than waste whole eggs. I suppose you could leave it out)

Dry shake ingredients to combine, then shake well with cracked ice. Strain over fresh ice in an old fashioned glass. Garnish with lemon peel and brandied cherries, if desired.

Brisko
04-05-2013, 13:54
Simple syrup is pretty easy to make. I would avoid orange juice as it can take over a drink pretty quickly and I don't think it would work here.

Hmm. I don't recall the name of it at the moment but there is an amaretto sour variation that calls for orange juice specifically.

I actually saw the Morgenthaler recipe and I think I will give it a try. I don't know exactly what my sis-in-law expects from an amaretto sour (she may be thinking amaretto and 7-up for all I know) so I'm trying to keep my options open. She and her husband had a pretty crappy month and I think they may be planning to tie one on tonight.

tanstaafl2
04-05-2013, 14:07
Hmm. I don't recall the name of it at the moment but there is an amaretto sour variation that calls for orange juice specifically.

I actually saw the Morgenthaler recipe and I think I will give it a try. I don't know exactly what my sis-in-law expects from an amaretto sour (she may be thinking amaretto and 7-up for all I know) so I'm trying to keep my options open. She and her husband had a pretty crappy month and I think they may be planning to tie one on tonight.

Could be. Not a drink that is a staple in my house but I have had the Morgenthaler recipe and thought it pretty decent.

I see something called an Amaretto Stone Sour with OJ but it calls for sweet and sour mix instead of simple and lemon juice.

Brisko
04-06-2013, 00:03
Well, amaretto sours were quite a hit. Standard recipe: 1.5 oz DiSaronno, 1 oz simple syrup (1:1), .75 oz fresh lemon, and egg white. They'd never experienced egg white in cocktails before. We also tried amaretto sunsets: 1.5 oz DiSaronno, 4 oz orange juice, .75 oz grenadine, and .75 oz El Dorado 12 year old rum (my own variation). Good but too sweet. Maybe one of you could recommend an aperitif liquer to balance out the sweetness. I triec Angostura bitters but I din't care for it.

That was just the guests. I had an OGD 114 old fashioned, an amaretto/rye topped with ginger ale, a bourbon sour (current Old Fitz bonded , with egg white) and what I guess would be a rye Godfather: Ritt BiB and DiSaronno over a couple ice cubes. Night cap while washing up was VOHH 8/86.

A good night. I think I brought a little happiness into their lives.

squire
04-06-2013, 13:27
Simple Barton Manhattan, two parts whisky to one part sweet vermouth.

BFerguson
04-06-2013, 14:01
I think I'll call it a "Avernade"

in a pint glass with ice

Juice of 1 lemon
Healthy glug to glug and a half of simple syrup-depending on how much juice you got from the lemon.
1 1/2 oz Averna-or other bitters of choice.
Top with water to top of glass
Stir

It's slightly reminds me of a Arnold Palmer-half lemonade and tea, you get the lemonade sweet tartness, and the Averna helps to contribute a tea like, tannic, bitter quality, I'm a fan of some strong brewed tea in the summer-sweetened of course.

It would be perfect on a much hotter day than it is now here, but it is doing nicely to remind me of what is around the corner weather wise.

B

compliance
04-07-2013, 22:36
I bought some grapefruit bitters and they are making my Manhattans pop! So I've been drinking Manhattans all weekend. Been rotating the bourbon between AA10yo, EWSB, and just had one with Handy. All good!

PS time for a new thread