PDA

View Full Version : Your Next Bourbon Purchase

RT Fan
01-14-2013, 12:47
So what is on your radar screen for the next time you wander into the liquor store? For me it is the following:

Weller 12. I really enjoy Weller Antique so this has to be in my wheelhouse.
Larceny. Ok, so I admit it, I'm a Wheater, from the reviews this sounds good to me.
Four Roses Small Batch. Much loved here on Straight Bourbon, to have that many people agree they must be doing something right.
Jefferson's 18 year. Had this in a bar & was very impressed. I figure this is sold out so I will look for their Reserve bottling.

That should keep me busy for awhile. How about you guys?

qman22
01-14-2013, 13:05
I'm going to pick up some WT Rare Breed today, I'm just in the mood for it. BTW, I don't find Jefferson's Reserve to be much like Jefferson's 18, so if you are expecting something similar you might be let down.

jwacky
01-14-2013, 13:05
EH Taylor Small Batch will most likely be my next purchase.

jwacky
01-14-2013, 13:06
I'm also discovering that I really enjoy wheat bourbons, having always liked Maker's Mark and now Larceny. I might grab a bottle of Bernheim Straight Wheat.

squire
01-14-2013, 13:14
Some fruit brandys are on my list but if my bag doesn't get too heavy I might throw in a Grand Dad 114.

Yeti
01-14-2013, 13:19
I'm taking a road trip to TPS with some friends at the end of the month. It's about 3 hours away, but it's a decent way to waste a day with the guys. I've been revising a "wish list" for the trip over and over for a few weeks. I'll definitely be looking to pick up some TPS exclusive bottles of Buffalo Trace and OWA, as well as cask strength Old Scout, the new Evan Williams 2003, and whatever scotch I can talk myself into once I'm that deep into the wallet.

UncleJohnsBarrel
01-14-2013, 13:21
I am probably going to go with OGD 114 next time I get anything instead of restocking on Weller 12, it gets great praise on this forum and I am looking forward to giving the Jim Beam family of whiskey another shot after not being impressed by any of their other stuff (Jim Beam White Label, Knob Creek, Bookers).

In terms of "If I had money to spare what would I buy" I came accross 3 of the Parkers Heritage 2012 in a random, corner shop liquor store in the area selling for $89.99. I haven't really thought of snagging one up mainly because I don't think many people going into that store will end up taking a PHC, but still, from what I have heard I should get all 3 if I could afford them.

Cool thread topic, a good contrast to "What Bourbon did you purchase today?"

higgins
01-14-2013, 13:38
Knob Creek Single Barrel is next on my list. I haven't been too impressed overall with the Jim Beam bourbons (the OGD line is a whole 'nother story). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Knob Creek, though. Looking forward to seeing how it's big brother tastes.

Clavius
01-14-2013, 14:37
I'm planning on stocking up on both some Weller 12 and some Knob Creek Single Barrel (a store selection single barrel that I got to participate in). Probably 2 bottles of each to add to my fledgling bunker.

ErikH
01-14-2013, 14:41
Weller 12 and perhaps some OGD 114.

luther.r
01-14-2013, 14:46
I am probably going to go with OGD 114 next time I get anything instead of restocking on Weller 12, it gets great praise on this forum and I am looking forward to giving the Jim Beam family of whiskey another shot after not being impressed by any of their other stuff (Jim Beam White Label, Knob Creek, Bookers).

Let us know what you think. OGD is wayyy different than Weller 12, that's for sure. Personally I can't get into OGD most nights, but I know that's not a popular opinion.

tanstaafl2
01-14-2013, 14:52
So what is on your radar screen for the next time you wander into the liquor store? For me it is the following:

<snip> Ok, so I admit it, I'm a Wheater, from the reviews this sounds good to me.<snip>
Jefferson's 18 year. Had this in a bar & was very impressed. I figure this is sold out so I will look for their Reserve bottling.

<snip>BTW, I don't find Jefferson's Reserve to be much like Jefferson's 18, so if you are expecting something similar you might be let down.

As noted the Jeff Reserve is not likely to have much in common with the Jeff Presidential Select 17/18 yo bourbons.

The Jeff Reserve began life as a 15yo bourbon and seemed to be well regarded (I never had the chance to try it) but it is sourced bourbon (and the source of their bourbon, like most sourced bourbon, seems to be a huge hairy assed secret) and the original bourbon has run out. Now it is NAS so you really have no idea what it is. Don't even know if it is all 15yo+ now. Some of the blend may be, most probably isn't. And it may well be a ryed bourbon. My guess based on a occasional sample (I don't currently have a bottle of the Reserve, just the standard bourbon) is that it is.

What we do know is that the Jeff bourbons are all blends of different bourbons (http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/products.php). That much they do tell you.

Jefferson's Reserve: The first bourbon released by Jefferson's, the Reserve is a complex, yet balanced combination of 3 different bourbons, including whiskey aged up to 20 years in American Oak. The result is a medium-weight bourbon with a dry, robust palate that fills with the mouth with flavors of roasted corn, caramel, toffee and oak.

Jefferson's Bourbon: Similar to the Reserve, Jefferson's is a marriage of a number of bourbons of different recipes and ages. Profiling younger than the Reserve, at 8-12 years of aging, Jefferson's still brings in large bourbon flavors to this relatively inexpensive offering . The flavors of vanilla, caramel and assorted fruits assure an incredibly smooth taste and finish.

Jefferson's Presidential Select: A limited offering, the Presidential Select is a premium blend that has been aged for 18 years. Bottled from the last year in operation of Louisville's renowned Stitzel-Weller Distillery, the Presidential Select is the premier bourbon in the Jefferson's line. The richly textured bourbon boasts a robust nose and taste balanced with the trademarked Jefferson's smooth finish.

Which is not to say they aren't necessarily good. You just won't know until you try it. And if you look there is a decent chance you will find the Jeff Pres Select 18yo as it still seems to be around. Although it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot depending on batch. Even the 17yo pops up now and again, albeit less frequently, and I think it is generally better regarded over the 18 by many reviewers.

fishnbowljoe
01-14-2013, 14:55
Most likely another wheater, or possibly a bottle or two of the EH Taylor Small Batch.

ChainWhip
01-14-2013, 15:59
Just in a holding pattern right now on bourbon unless I can find random bottles of the limited releases shitting on the back shelf at fair prices (4R, BTAC, etc.,). I am eyeing some bottles of Karuizawa, Chichibu, Rosebank 21 & assorted tequilas as well.

berto
01-14-2013, 16:17
Larceny, OGD114, perhaps some Willetts and maybe some FRSB from different retailers. Kinda tapped after the holiday buying spree.

smknjoe
01-14-2013, 16:23
Let us know what you think. OGD is wayyy different than Weller 12, that's for sure. Personally I can't get into OGD most nights, but I know that's not a popular opinion.

Luther is right. They are wayyy different. I really like OGD and I really don't like Weller 12, but I do like OWA!? You won't know until you try. It's not like Beam. I don't know why people act like Beam is rot gut. There are better ones out there for even less, but it will do in a pinch (although I would prefer VOB.)

I have Larceny next on my list.

camduncan
01-14-2013, 17:16
I'm on a buying freeze at the moment. My Wife has offered to let me use her Duty Free allowance on our next trip to New Zealand in May if (and only if) I can avoid buying anything locally until then. I've got plenty of stock behind the bar at home, and for the chance to buy 6 bottles (in total) of stuff I can't find here in Australia or very cheaply duty free.... I think I can do it :skep:

WAINWRIGHT
01-14-2013, 17:23
I'm looking at CEHT SmB and the GD rye,it's nice to be excited and curious about a few products that won't break the bank for once!

HighInTheMtns
01-14-2013, 19:02
My answer would have been EWSB which I haven't had for some time, but I bought the 2002 vintage tonight. Wanted to drink some of the 2002 before 2003 starts showing up.

Next up is probably CEHT SmB.

Stormeh
01-14-2013, 19:26
My answer would have been EWSB which I haven't had for some time, but I bought the 2002 vintage tonight. Wanted to drink some of the 2002 before 2003 starts showing up.

Next up is probably CEHT SmB.

I hadn't had EWSB in a couple years but bought a 2002 vintage on a whim the other day, and I think it's quite good. The age is apparent, the price is right, and the balance is there. One of my favorites from HH.

mark fleetwood
01-14-2013, 19:36
Wife is headed back to Cinti to retrieve our now graduated high school senior and will pick up a case from TPS including VOBbib, Dant, and Heaven Hill Whit. It's impossible to get these reasonably priced "value" buys here at 5280 feet.

thiemb
01-14-2013, 20:32
I've been eyeing a couple bottles; PHC '12 and a Four Roses LE SB 2012. I know I should just get both but I'm leaning towards the PHC...for now.

HighInTheMtns
01-14-2013, 20:36
I've been eyeing a couple bottles; PHC '12 and a Four Roses LE SB 2012. I know I should just get both but I'm leaning towards the PHC...for now.
Can't go wrong either way.

icehocey77
01-15-2013, 08:12
2012 THH
Willet 21
2012 FR LE SmB
2012 PHC

Already have 2 of the FR's so if I get more it'll be for the bunker.

MyOldKyDram
01-15-2013, 08:21
Going to try and hold out until the 2013 FR LE 1Bs come out.

Yeah. I don't see it happening either.

Yeti
01-15-2013, 08:52
When, and what, are typically the spring releases? From what I've noticed it seems like the Van Winkle family and the FR Single Barrel roll out sometime around May. Is that right? Are there any more? And does Van Winkle have a fall release as well?

Edit: For the record I'm not interested in Pappy hunting, just curious about the schedule for all of the major releases

HighInTheMtns
01-15-2013, 09:09
There won't be a Van Winkle spring release this year. It used to be spring and fall, but now just fall.

zillah
01-15-2013, 09:13
Old Forester BB 2012 and FR1BLE2012.

michaelturtle1
01-15-2013, 14:02
Working on purchasing a bottle of VOF, hopefully the stars will align and it will soon be in my possession

DPPSmoker
01-15-2013, 14:47
I just finished off a bottle of Elmer T. Lee so I want to replace that. I also want a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch LE 2012 but they are not available in Michigan.

I'm also hoping to visit some of the distilleries in mid-March. If I do, I want to stop by the gift shops at Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and the Willett Distillery to purchases some bottles there.

Clavius
01-15-2013, 14:49
I just finished off a bottle of Elmer T. Lee so I want to replace that. I also want a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch LE 2012 but they are not available in Michigan.

I'm also hoping to visit some of the distilleries in mid-March. If I do, I want to stop by the gift shops at Four Roses, Buffalo Trace and the Willett Distillery to purchases some bottles there.
FYI the only bottles you can get at the BT gift shop are:

Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare Single Barrel
White Dog Mash #1
Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream
Blanton's Single Barrel

http://buffalotracedistillery.com/visit-us/faqs

:cool:

luther.r
01-15-2013, 14:54
Check out HH too. Their gift shop often has special bottles not available anywhere else.

Bourserker
01-15-2013, 19:20
Bought way, way, WAY too much stuff last year so I'm gonna lay kinda low this year. I guess I just got a little too excited with this new hobby where logic and reason did not take over until after I already spent a bunch of money. I figure at my current rate of consumption I have somewhere on the order of a 5 year supply :bigeyes:.

So anyway, items currently on the radar are OGD 114, OFBB 2012 (if I happen to run across any) and a few limited releases as they come out.

hectic1
01-15-2013, 19:26
Bought way, way, WAY too much stuff last year so I'm gonna lay kinda low this year. I guess I just got a little too excited with this new hobby where logic and reason did not take over until after I already spent a bunch of money. I figure at my current rate of consumption I have somewhere on the order of a 5 year supply :bigeyes:.

So anyway, items currently on the radar are OGD 114, OFBB 2012 (if I happen to run across any) and a few limited releases as they come out. It's a great investment as bourbon won't be any cheaper tomorrow then it is today...you can use the :bigeyes: face when you reach a 30yr supply! :D

RT Fan
01-16-2013, 13:41
Thanks for the advice, Qman & Tan regarding the Jefferson's Reserve. Perhaps a taste test by way of a bar is needed before I drop some coin on an untasted bottle. I don't mind taking flyers on $30-$35 bottles like Larceny (NYC prices) but The Jefferson's Reserve trades @ $55 a bottle here, plus tax.

DPPSmoker
01-16-2013, 14:03
FYI the only bottles you can get at the BT gift shop are:

Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare Single Barrel
White Dog Mash #1
Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream
Blanton's Single Barrel

http://buffalotracedistillery.com/visit-us/faqs

:cool:

Yup. I realize their gift shop offerings are limited to what you find elsewhere. I want to visit BT mostly for the hard hat tour. I'm sure I will still pick some bottles up from the BT gift shop.

However, does anyone know if BT will offer bottles from "special barrels" for Eagle Rare and Blanton's much like Four Roses does with some of their gift shop bottles? Thanks in advance.

DPPSmoker
01-16-2013, 14:05
Check out HH too. Their gift shop often has special bottles not available anywhere else.

Yeah, I was aware of this and I am interested. But I know that they put higher prices on those bottles as well. Still, I am interested to try barrel proof EC 12.

VAGentleman
01-16-2013, 14:46
Yup. I realize their gift shop offerings are limited to what you find elsewhere. I want to visit BT mostly for the hard hat tour. I'm sure I will still pick some bottles up from the BT gift shop.

However, does anyone know if BT will offer bottles from "special barrels" for Eagle Rare and Blanton's much like Four Roses does with some of their gift shop bottles? Thanks in advance.

When I was there they did not offer any special barrels, just the regular releases that were cheaper at the liquor store

Bourserker
01-16-2013, 19:18
It's a great investment as bourbon won't be any cheaper tomorrow then it is today...you can use the :bigeyes: face when you reach a 30yr supply! :D
Well, I don't know if it was your intention, but you made me feel a lot better about my obsession...and I'll make sure to save the :bigeyes: face for when I accumulate a real supply.

portugieser
01-21-2013, 17:29
It may not be my "next" purchase, but I'll definitely pick up some of the Stagg Jr. (https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12355001000176) when it's available.

See this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19172-Stagg-Jr).

jwacky
01-23-2013, 08:37
I want to try some Elmer T. Lee, so maybe that. Or Blanton's. Also curious about Mellow Corn and Bernheim Straight Wheat, though I realize they're not bourbons. I can only find the latter locally.

Tony
01-23-2013, 09:18
I am running low on the regular 4RSmB and really coming to enjoy it as a daily pour. So I think this will be next.

Best regards, Tony

squire
01-23-2013, 11:24
My local will no longer be carrying Barton so I must carefully consider my next purchase.

smknjoe
01-23-2013, 11:36
That's good stuff at a great price. Thanks for recommending it. Do you buy premium or "ultra" premiums often?

A replacement bottle of ETL is next on my list and I still have yet to try Larceny.

fishnbowljoe
01-23-2013, 20:48
I want to try some Elmer T. Lee, so maybe that. Or Blanton's. Also curious about Mellow Corn and Bernheim Straight Wheat, though I realize they're not bourbons. I can only find the latter locally.

Save yourself some $$$ and go with the ETL and Mellow Corn. Blanton's is good, but IMHO a bit overpriced. Same with the Bermheim. Cheers! Joe

Mikede1285
01-24-2013, 07:02
I was thinking about picking up a bottle of the John J. Bowman TPS Barrel #45 this weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I've only had the Bowman Brothers SmB at a bar once, and really enjoyed it. Is there any similarities?

Phil T
01-24-2013, 08:25
I was thinking about picking up a bottle of the John J. Bowman TPS Barrel #45 this weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I've only had the Bowman Brothers SmB at a bar once, and really enjoyed it. Is there any similarities?

I'm on my third bottle. It's sweet, chewy, smoky, and woody. All in a very good way. I only wish it were barrel proof instead of 100 proof. All in all, a very nice pour. You won't be disappointed

jwacky
01-24-2013, 08:44
Save yourself some $$$ and go with the ETL and Mellow Corn. Blanton's is good, but IMHO a bit overpriced. Same with the Bermheim. Cheers! Joe

Thanks, appreciate the input! Maybe I'll wait until the next time I've visiting with my brother-in-law to split a bottle of Blanton's. Less money out of pocket, still get to try it. Been wanting to pick up ETL for a while now, but something else always catches my eye. Mellow Corn isn't expensive at all, it's just a matter of finding it out here.

MauiSon
01-24-2013, 12:28
What if ETL and Blanton's are the same price, tho? I want to try ETL, but right now I've taken a STAB at my topper set. :rolleyes:

squire
01-24-2013, 12:52
If they're the same price buy one this month and the other next month. ELT is a little sweeter, richer, and Blanton's is dryer and a touch more refined. Both are good in their own way and you should have the chance to enjoy both. Which one first is the only real choice.

jwacky
01-24-2013, 14:07
If they're the same price buy one this month and the other next month. ELT is a little sweeter, richer, and Blanton's is dryer and a touch more refined. Both are good in their own way and you should have the chance to enjoy both. Which one first is the only real choice.

They will both be tried, in time. I can assure everyone of that! Price-wise, the ETL is $15-$20 cheaper per bottle - I've seen it everywhere from $26-$30 per bottle. Blanton's has been $45-$47.

squire
01-24-2013, 15:07
The price difference is packaging, no difference in quality.

MyOldKyDram
01-24-2013, 17:05
Hoping to grab a Balcones Single Malt soon.

MauiSon
01-24-2013, 19:52
Ah Squire, but there IS no price difference here! ($34 each) Come to Honolulu and drink Blanton's on the cheap.

Mikede1285
01-25-2013, 05:46
I'm on my third bottle. It's sweet, chewy, smoky, and woody. All in a very good way. I only wish it were barrel proof instead of 100 proof. All in all, a very nice pour. You won't be disappointed

Thanks for the notes. I'll definitely be grabbing a bottle tonight after work.

squire
01-25-2013, 07:25
Maui I'm still trying to calculate how much Bourbon I'll have to drink for the savings to cover the cost of a plane ticket.

jwacky
01-25-2013, 08:19
The price difference is packaging, no difference in quality.

Cool, thanks for the input. Still obviously very 'new' to the serious side of this, so now I can grab a bottle of ETL and not feel like I'm settling.

Tony
01-25-2013, 13:04
Ok, I know I said it was going to be 4RSmB regular version. but I ended up with another JPS 18.

Best regards, Tony

Curtisc84
02-09-2013, 11:06
I'm seeing WT Tradition readily available again. Anyone running out to buy this?

c2walker
02-09-2013, 13:02
I don't know if it is any more available than it was last year or the year before that. It has been a slow mover.

theglobalguy
02-09-2013, 13:31
Hoping to grab a Balcones Single Malt soon.

Is that the "one" to grab, as in have you tried the other Balcone products? Shop in Louisville has 3 of their choices on the shelf now...and i came really close to pulling trigger on the Baby Blue variety.

Cigar Dan
02-10-2013, 09:52
I have yet to see any of the PHC in the wild in Louisiana, so that is always high on my radar.

My local beer and wine shop is a cool little place with over 400+ different beers and about a thousand different wines--all of which are reasonably priced and can be consumed on premises. The liquor is another story--his stuff is terribly overpriced. He has told me that his prices are negotiable. Anyway, he has a lone bottle of OFBB that I have been wanting for a while. However, his price is $54. I am thinking about offering him $50 and see what he says. That is still more than I want to pay, but is probably my only chance to get a bottle of that.

squire
02-10-2013, 10:48
For that price you could drive down and get a bottle at Dorignacs on Vets and a few other bargains as well.

Cigar Dan
02-10-2013, 15:57
Maybe, but TPS has the Birthday Bourbon listed at $45 (out of stock), so I didn't think $50 would be too over the top. How much do you see it for in your neck of the woods?

squire
02-10-2013, 16:22
Anywhere from $34.95-$37.50 on average, I don't think it moves very fast.

HighInTheMtns
02-10-2013, 16:33
Maybe, but TPS has the Birthday Bourbon listed at $45 (out of stock), so I didn't think $50 would be too over the top. How much do you see it for in your neck of the woods?
It's $50 here in Utah where everything is pretty much MSRP. $50 is a reasonable price but I'd have a bottle by now if I could pay Squire's price.

MyOldKyDram
02-10-2013, 16:36
It's right at $45 here in KY.

squire
02-10-2013, 17:02
They collect dust around here, donno why.

jersey12
02-10-2013, 18:03
The OFBB's don't seem to move very quickly around here either. Was at a store a few months back that had plenty of the 08-11's with a nice layer of dust on them. One of my regular spots in NYC has a bunch of the 2012's at $45. I may pick one up eventually but there's a few others ahead of it on my next to buy list.

jeffrey r
02-10-2013, 18:10
The OFBB's don't seem to move very quickly around here either. Was at a store a few months back that had plenty of the 08-11's with a nice layer of dust on them. One of my regular spots in NYC has a bunch of the 2012's at $45. I may pick one up eventually but there's a few others ahead of it on my next to buy list.

I've passed it up at $50-$60 here in NJ, but I'd surely give it a go at under $40.

LCWoody
02-10-2013, 18:35
Dan, It's $48 over here on this side of the state.

squire
02-10-2013, 18:45
Woody don't they have a Specs right over the line from you?

LCWoody
02-10-2013, 20:53
Yes in Beaumont. It's about 50 min. drive.

squire
02-11-2013, 08:51
Do you guys ever shop there?

Cigar Dan
02-11-2013, 12:57
I had my brother check the Specs in Austin recently, but it was OOS.

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 13:06
I've only seen OFBB in one store in Houston and they were asking $60. Spec's didn't have it. I need to see if they will order Barton BIB since they only carry the 86 proof.

squire
02-11-2013, 13:50
Under priced and unsold in one area, over priced and sold out in another, it's enough to drive you to drink.

smokinjoe
02-11-2013, 14:38
I got a hankerin' for some Beam White 7 yr, and I'm plum out. Hey!!! Don't knock it till ya tried it! A nice, little, uncomplicated whiskey, that's just a really nice sipper. Maybe, I'll head up to my Whiskey Monger this evening.

ebo
02-11-2013, 14:55
Probably a bottle or two of MM. :grin:

Clavius
02-11-2013, 15:03
Probably a bottle or two of MM. :grin:

So I'm considering doing the same thing. But, money is tight. So I think I'll end up purchasing two bottles of Weller 12 since I enjoy it far more than MM. I am tempted though to stash at least one bottle of MM away before MM* appears on the shelves...

HighInTheMtns
02-11-2013, 15:27
So I'm considering doing the same thing. But, money is tight. So I think I'll end up purchasing two bottles of Weller 12 since I enjoy it far more than MM. I am tempted though to stash at least one bottle of MM away before MM* appears on the shelves...
I went to the store yesterday and stood and stared at the MM section for a while before ultimately moving on. I may change my mind before it's gone but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

ebo
02-11-2013, 15:48

To tell you the truth, if Weller were available to me, I'd do the same.

LCWoody
02-11-2013, 15:51
I go to the one in Beaumont about once every two months. It has a good selection but I can get the same stuff at my local liquor store here. The one in Houston is the one that has the really good selection. I make it over there about 2 to 3 times a year.

squire
02-11-2013, 15:53
Houston is where I shopped so that's the store I think of when Specs crosses my mind.

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 15:59
Houston is where I shopped so that's the store I think of when Specs crosses my mind.

It's the biggest liquor store in TX in the largest city in TX. Great selection of mid-shelf stuff.

squire
02-11-2013, 16:02
I've been to top liquor stores across the country and Specs is first rate.

LCWoody
02-11-2013, 16:42
The specs in downtown Houston is a great liquor store. They always have a good selection of Willett 6,7,8,9 year old single barrel Burbons.

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 16:53
The specs in downtown Houston is a great liquor store. They always have a good selection of Willett 6,7,8,9 year old single barrel Burbons.

One of my beefs with the place is that when they get anything good in someone comes by and buys every last case. Therefore, it's difficult to get the good stuff without being "in the know." They only Willett's I've seen are the rye and the pot still bottle. I have been lucky enough to grab a couple of good bottles there over the last few months.

LCWoody
02-11-2013, 17:05
The last time I was there was in early December of last year and they had a barrel select of six and seven year-old Willett and I got a bottle of each.

smknjoe
02-11-2013, 17:13
A few weeks ago I asked the bourbon guy where the Willett and PHC was and he replied "some guy came in and bought it by the case." I snooze, I lose! Still plenty of other good stuff there though. The next time you see something good there send me a PM before it's gone!

LCWoody
02-11-2013, 18:35
Ill do that. I'm going to try to go next month.

Kyjd75
02-11-2013, 19:11
Of course, Makers Mark! 2 750's for the bunker.

Cigar Dan
02-11-2013, 19:13
Under priced and unsold in one area, over priced and sold out in another, it's enough to drive you to drink.

i called 3 different liquor stores in your neck of the woods today looking for OFBB without any success...

A PM of any that you know of that would have it would be greatly appreciated.

squire
02-11-2013, 19:55
PM with who you called and we will get it sorted.

The Boozer
02-11-2013, 21:10
Went to the liquor store to check on the supply of MM. They had about 6-8 bottles. Leaned over and grabbed a bottle of OWA.

Special Reserve
02-12-2013, 01:32
Went to the liquor store to check on the supply of MM. They had about 6-8 bottles. Leaned over and grabbed a bottle of OWA.

Well played, I'll be repeating that process.

Cigar Dan
02-12-2013, 08:21
PM with who you called and we will get it sorted.

I appreciate that. PM sent.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Wryguy
02-12-2013, 10:13
Contemplating buying a bottle of BTSOP #99. Never had any BTSOP, the idea seems gimmicky to me, and the price, at $65 per 375mL, is really spendy, but I just think I might get lucky with this bottle. It seems to be the best reviewed of the first release, which is all this place has. Any ideas out there?

squire
02-12-2013, 10:46
I take a different tact entirely as I'm not interested in a single barrel from a single tree. A single instrument, however well played, is just that, single. I prefer the added instruments of an orchestra and that's what a Master Blender does with, say, 200 barrels or so.

Wryguy
02-12-2013, 11:28
I take a different tact entirely as I'm not interested in a single barrel from a single tree. A single instrument, however well played, is just that, single. I prefer the added instruments of an orchestra and that's what a Master Blender does with, say, 200 barrels or so.

Yeah, but I'd take Johnny Cash and his guitar over the Philharmonic (you pick the city), any day of the week. I get your point and its a good one, but as anyone, including yourself, I'd guess, can attest, single barrel bottlings are real gems when done right. I agree that figuring it all out is best left to the Master Distiller/Blender. I'm gonna hold off for now.

squire
02-12-2013, 13:05
Couldn't disagree, some of those gems are very reasonably priced.

MauiSon
02-12-2013, 13:22
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/styles/HighlightOrange/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by The Boozer http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/styles/HighlightOrange/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=322863#post322863)

You're fortunate, my local wheater choices are summarized with MM, 46 & Rebel Reserve.

Tony
02-12-2013, 14:57
Ok, I forgot what i said before but ended up buying an Old Ezra based on some wise folk that post here. Next is going to be some 4RSmB for my bride for Valentines day.

Best regards, Tony

Josh
02-13-2013, 09:28
Ok, I forgot what i said before but ended up buying an Old Ezra based on some wise folk that post here. Next is going to be some 4RSmB for my bride for Valentines day.

Best regards, Tony

You won't be disappointed. I love that stuff!