PDA

View Full Version : Black Bourbon Cleveland Whiskey

MyOldKyDram
01-21-2013, 04:42
Anyone out there heard about this? Some new micro, coming out with a product soon. Quality of the product aside for the moment, I'm wondering if it can actually be labeled as bourbon. Best I can tell, it's not aged in barrels so much as they take barrels, chop them into pieces, tank it, and then apply some kind of pressurized-science-magic to it. Does this still satisfy the barrel requirement? Maybe Chuck can yell at someone.

http://fox8.com/2013/01/08/my-town-local-man-to-release-own-whiskey-brand/

ETA: nevermind. Looks like they start the process with young barrel aged bourbon. All that being said, any guinea pigs in the Cleveland area?

callmeox
01-21-2013, 06:17
There area multiple old threads about these alchemists and the links are below.

I may end up being the local guinea pig but my hopes are not high. Some local chefs have been pimping the product but I fear that their excitement is not based on a traditional bourbon profile.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?16136-Cleveland-Whiskey

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14317-Pending-patent-for-speeding-up-spirit-aging

T Comp
01-21-2013, 06:25
Also Clay Risen (Mash Notes Blog) wrote an article in the NY Times and mentioned them among others who are trying to speed up the ageing process.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/dining/whiskey-start-ups-are-rolling-out-a-smaller-barrel-sooner.html?_r=0

MyOldKyDram
01-21-2013, 06:48
Thanks for the links. Shoulda known this had been covered. As always, search is our friend.

callmeox
01-21-2013, 07:15
Thanks for the links. Shoulda known this had been covered. As always, search is our friend.

What do you think of the idea of speeding up the "aging" of bourbon with science?

The serial entrepreneur who is behind this knows the marketing game well. He is obviously working the Cleveland media and chefs who are into the local ingredients movement here.

MyOldKyDram
01-21-2013, 07:29
I tend to think it's a load of bull. That this serial entrepreneur is more of a two-bit huckster. That's being kind. And it saddens me that people will glom onto and even champion such a Barnumesque product. However, the proof is in the pudding and maybe this guy is more alchemist than chemist. Maybe he came into possession of a transmogrifier. Doubtful for sure, but you'll be sure to let us know, yeah? :D

oke&coke
01-21-2013, 10:24
When it comes to food and drink I consider myself a purist, it ain't broke don't be fixin nothing. HOWEVER, if they can make a good product and sell it to us at a decent price. Then more power to them. I may even buy a bottle.

ThirstyinOhio
01-21-2013, 10:37
I will buy a bottle as soon as I can track one down. I'll be happy to post my tasting notes when I do. If anyone knows of a definite store I can grab a bottle, please let me know.

squire
01-21-2013, 11:23
Pressure cooker whisky, alchemy indeed, I wonder if the guy was ever in the pressure treated lumber business. I can understand the attraction for you homies but for $35.00 I can get a bottle of really good whisky.

callmeox
01-21-2013, 13:41
My sampling will be by the drink and not through purchasing a bottle. I have a couple of chef/owner type of connections and I've asked them for a heads up when it is released.

One has sampled a pre-release version and declared it 'not bad.'

High praise indeed.

MyOldKyDram
01-21-2013, 13:50
Better than I would have hoped for.

shoshani
01-22-2013, 11:27
The idea of forced aging has come and gone several times through history; Publicker experimented with it briefly after Repeal, claiming the effects of years of age in a product 24 hours old and advertising with the line "don't fill your stomach from a nasty old keg". Interestingly, Frederick Stitzel had two patents in the late 19th century on the idea. One (US Patent 253,125) agitated the spirit with carbonic gas that had passed through burning charcoal, the other (US Patent 265,344) based itself on the carbonic gas idea but agitated the spirit with oxygen under pressure with heat and electrolysis. (You can see them if you search Google Patents for those numbers.)

There is truly nothing new under the sun. :rolleyes:

callmeox
03-01-2013, 20:28
Well, this has been released as Cleveland Whiskey Black Reserve at 100 proof.

To prove that folks in my area are no better than Iowans, it's reported to be moving briskly off the shelves.

No idea for price as it isn't listed in the state database. :skep:

Here's the COLA

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12366001000018

MyOldKyDram
03-01-2013, 20:33
I mean, I kinda gotta try it. Not buy it mind you...

Heres hoping this will be amongst the gazebo offerings come sampler time.

callmeox
03-01-2013, 20:37
Don't look for me to bring a bottle unless it is gifted to me. :cool:

rndenks
03-02-2013, 11:24
I am on a list to get a bottle on Tuesday. Curiosity got the best of me. At the very list I have another conversation piece on the bar. Once I get it and have a taste I will post my thoughts.

steeltownbbq
03-02-2013, 11:35
I am on a list to get a bottle on Tuesday. Curiosity got the best of me. At the very list I have another conversation piece on the bar. Once I get it and have a taste I will post my thoughts.

Where are you getting this?

I'm thinking like you are --- it might be crap, but it's something to talk about. Could use it as an example of bad form when I preach the Bourbon Gospel to the unbelievers.

callmeox
03-02-2013, 13:45
The warehouse for Cleveland area stores has it in stock and it will start showing up in stores as they get their next truck. Some stores on the west side got a delivery yesterday.

My local spirits monger said that he expects it on Tuesday and the price will be between 30 and 40 bucks.

cowdery
03-02-2013, 13:56
If I'm reading the back label correctly, they didn't even distill the stuff. They bought "young bourbon" from a distillery (MGPI?), then did their voodoo on it. I'm looking forward to rndenks' verdict.

callmeox
03-02-2013, 14:37
I read at some point that Jim Rutledge was involved early, possibly with some bulk whiskey. Not sure who would be supplying them now. If they were doing it themselves, they would need new cooperage which would be expensive if the statement about 6 months in wood was accurate.

They have pics on their FB of a worker filling a mash tub and a Vendome still and they have a DSP listed in the COLA. People have done more to try to look like a real distillery, but that's a heck of an expense if you don't intend to do public tours or actually distill.

I'll have to cruise the street where their facility is located and roll down the windows. If they are mashing/distilling, the telltale smells will be obvious.

callmeox
03-02-2013, 14:41
They buy barreled bourbon.

From the Cleveland.com article:

He sends his formula to large distillers, who send him what some know as moonshine and others call "white dog," a raw unrefined form of whiskey.
"The moment it arrives here it is bourbon," he said. "It is at least 51 percent corn (rye, wheat and barley are also there) and has been aged in barrels." But he acknowledges that the aging that takes place before he gets the raw whiskeyfrom the distillers is negligible, and does not add much to the six months he uses to age it.

squire
03-02-2013, 15:07
He "sends his formula to large distillers", what a creative non sequitur.

HighInTheMtns
03-02-2013, 15:18
His formula is as follows:

"Please sell me some barrels of bourbon."

squire
03-02-2013, 15:20
And make sure it's fresh from today's batch, none of that old stuff you have laying around in the warehouse.

MyOldKyDram
03-02-2013, 15:31
Bring us some fresh bourbon! The freshest you've got...this year!

squire
03-02-2013, 15:36
Cleveland Whisky, the freshest Bourbon in town!

callmeox
03-02-2013, 16:30
Cleveland Whisky, the freshest Bourbon in town!

And make sure it's fresh from today's batch, none of that old stuff you have laying around in the warehouse.

His formula is as follows:

"Please sell me some barrels of bourbon."

I see a career in marketing or bullshitting for both of you.

Well done.

They also talk about it being a 4 grain product. :)

HighInTheMtns
03-02-2013, 17:00
I see a career in marketing or bullshitting for both of you.

Well done.

They also talk about it being a 4 grain product. :)
I guess it's "Please sell me some bourbon. I don't care what the mashbill is."

rndenks
03-03-2013, 06:24
Where are you getting this?

I'm thinking like you are --- it might be crap, but it's something to talk about. Could use it as an example of bad form when I preach the Bourbon Gospel to the unbelievers.

Check out their website. They have a store locator on their. My guy told me he was taking names because his supply would be limited. Might be good to call around.

squire
03-03-2013, 06:28
Why stop with four grains, toss in a Snickers bar and talk about it's five grain chocolaty goodness.

cowdery
03-03-2013, 22:14
We hear about several of these schemes every year. What has never happened is one of these guys sending samples to the top whiskey reviewers. It's never happened. Wonder why?

HighInTheMtns
03-03-2013, 22:39
We hear about several of these schemes every year. What has never happened is one of these guys sending samples to the top whiskey reviewers. It's never happened. Wonder why?
When they use magic instead of barrels to age it, they have no funny barrels.

Meruck
03-03-2013, 23:16
I had a magic Agee once. It got to old and broke.

squire
03-04-2013, 07:20
Chuck I suppose it's because they don't have any honey totes.

RogerX
03-05-2013, 12:54
The original discussion here from a couple of years ago:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?16136-Cleveland-Whiskey

...has yielded actual product. The State Liquor stores started receiving these today:

squire
03-05-2013, 13:04
We've been discussing this brand Roger, what can you tell us about it?

rndenks
03-05-2013, 20:09
Well I picked up my bottle today after work. I tried it and it tastes just like Pappy 15 if not better!!!
Just kidding but I could not resist. :slappin:

They had 17 bottles in the store and all were accounted for. They said they had another order coming in a couple of days, and half of that is accounted for already. Now to my thoughts...for what they are worth.

First, I like the bottle. Nice design. Clean and modern with a tinge of rustic on the lettering. Then again design and artwork are kind of my thing.

The Nose: not a lot of specific notes here, you know it's bourbon but I cannot sense any distinct scents
The Taste: sweet and thick, but the burn hits before I can get to much more
The finish: HOT...granted its 100 proof, but it tingles the mouth, has a sort of bitter finish, you taste oak, it really coats the mouth and lingers for a while

Added a bit of water and it did not change much.

Added a bit of ice and it opened up the nose a bit. I get a sweet creamy maybe vanilla. But the taste and finish are the same...hot, bitter and almost medicine like and boy does it linger for awhile.

Please keep in mind I am a beginner at tasting notes, but I have been able to pull a lot more out of other bourbons I tried in my short career.

At $34.95 for a 750 ml I would pass on this again. There is no way I would take this over FR1B, ERSB or Larceny for a similar or lesser price. I may try it again down the road because I feel it is a process that might evolve, but it could just as easily be a novelty. Especially for those of us in the Cleveland area.

I will try this again this weekend directly up against some other bourbons and let you know my thoughts. Would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts. Cheers.

callmeox
03-05-2013, 20:50
Thanks for the notes. It sounds like it's got young bourbon heat and oak. That's definitely an odd combo.

I think I will be able to weasel a sample soon and will post my thoughts as well.

cowdery
03-06-2013, 10:46
What's the 'black' part? Someone speculated that he used water with iron in it, which will turn the whiskey black, and also tastes bad.

squire
03-06-2013, 11:29
Back during the Carter Administration a guy came up with the idea of a peanut based whisky and almost talked some investors into funding the project. Apparently the Cleveland name carries some weight locally.

ThirstyinOhio
03-06-2013, 12:26
I ran out and picked up two bottles (I'm a sucker for low batch numbers and it doesn't get much lower than 001) and will be trying it out this evening. I'll post some tasting notes afterwards, but I'm not expecting a lot out of it.

squire
03-06-2013, 12:32
Hope you get your money's worth.

Josh
03-06-2013, 18:52

For one dollar he'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.

MyOldKyDram
03-06-2013, 18:59
He ran the old Cup 'o Pressure-Aged Bourbon guy out of business.

Josh
03-06-2013, 19:45
He ran the old Cup 'o Pressure-Aged Bourbon guy out of business.

It was never easy for him. He was born a poor black bourbon whiskey. He remembers the days, sittin' on the porch with his family, singin' and dancin' down in Ohio.

MyOldKyDram
03-06-2013, 20:05
You mean it's gonna STAY that color?

Josh
03-06-2013, 20:12
You mean it's gonna STAY that color?

Some of those restaurateurs would love it if it were the color of a baboon's ass.

MyOldKyDram
03-06-2013, 20:15
Don't call them restrauteurs. Call them shitheads.

ThirstyinOhio
03-06-2013, 21:01
I'm sitting here with my first pour of the Cleveland whiskey and I would agree with rndenks on most of his remarks.
Nose: Smells like bourbon with the standard hints of maple and vanilla but not much else.
Taste: First impression is nothing but heat. Mouth and tongue instantly start to tingle and that carries all the way through the finish. Once you get past the fire, you can really taste the wood (think EC 12) and very little sweetness. I will say that it does have a nice thick mouth feel.
Finish: Keeps on burning with some dryness and it sticks around for a while.

Overall: I would say that they nailed the wood flavor and mouth feel and I am actually surprised by that, but it still has too many characteristics of a young whiskey. I don't expect to visit this bottle very often except to give to friends who are interested in the fact it is "locally" produced.

MyOldKyDram
03-06-2013, 21:05
Good to see some more tasting notes on this, as opposed to more The Jerk quotes from Josh and I. If I find myself in OH soon, and see a bottle, I can't say that curiosity won't win out.

squire
03-06-2013, 21:29
This whisky is so immature you could get arrested for flirting with it.

ThirstyinOhio
03-07-2013, 11:40
This whisky is so immature you could get arrested for flirting with it.
lol.... Be careful, Chris Hansen might be lurking around the corner.

Evargas
03-15-2013, 10:50
Cleveland Whiskey Batch 001 (3/1/13). Well here they are the tasting notes. Its not pretty.

This is a special process whiskey that claims to attain the flavor profile that is as good if not better than most 10-12 year aged whiskey. Based on their claims this whiskey falls way short.

Nose: Ethanol(alcohol). Past that nothing but sawdust, old wet wood. None of the notes that you would expect from an oak aged whiskey especially one that claims to be better that one aged 10-12 years. No sweet note or spice notes.

Tastes: At a 100 proof itís a high alcohol entry but manageable. Then citrus pith, Iodine/soapy. No sweet note jumps out. No vanilla, no honey, no butterscotch, no maples syrup. These you would expect in a highly aged bourbon. The finish is slightly peppery. This first real spice note you get. No other spices that one would expect to find in a bourbon.

Watered: Watering does nothing for this other than to water it down. There are no hidden flavors hiding behind proof.

Overall Impression: The label say that the whiskey rested 6 months in charred oak prior to its processing and it taste like it. This is still simply a young whiskey with very little flavor. I am very disappointed. I was really hoping that this would be good but I have to follow my palate. Dress: .7(Out of 2), Nose: .3(Out of 3), Taste 1.0 (Out of 5) Itís a dreadful 2 out of 10. Sorry Cleveland Whiskey.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bourbon-Enthusiasts-Lounge/209500935773295

squire
03-15-2013, 10:55
No surprises there unfortunately.

rndenks
03-15-2013, 11:33
I agree with you Evargas. As a fellow Clevelander I was hoping for more. Not so much to revolutionize the industry, but more so to have something good and unique from Cleveland. Well at least we still have our sports teams to do that...oh wait

ohiobourbon
03-15-2013, 11:42
... something good and unique from Cleveland ...
At risk of straying off topic, would any SB folks be interested in participating in a Tom's Foolery Bourbon and Rye tasting? I could host it at the distillery. We have not released any whiskey yet, so it would be a "working session."

Evargas
03-15-2013, 11:52
rndnenks, I'm disappointed in this whole thing especially the marketing end. I've watch these huckster like tastings that are just down right hilarious if they wouldn't insult your intelligence. Have you seen this one.http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=286506

I love how he has the female host eat chocolate BEFORE tasting!! What??? Then has them drink is whiskey after the Knob Creek without cleansing the palate. He is essentially washing their palate with his whiskey. How about a real tasting with private note cards and seasoned tasters and time in between samples. A non-whiskey drinker is not going to pick up on this. This is why I call it hucksterism. At $35.00 I can walk into the liquor store and walk out with 20 whiskey/whiskies half that price and ten times better tasting.

I really chafe over the marketing of this. Plus I think someone else might of said it. His process is not rapid aging its merely infusion.

As to our sports teams at least there we get to start over next year and there is hope that it can get better but this bill of goods it is difficult to swallow. I'll continue to buy the majority of my whiskey/whisky from Kentucky and Scotland thank you.

Evargas
03-15-2013, 11:53
I'm in!! I'm a big fan of the way Tom's Foolery are conducting business. Plus I would love to taste what is coming off that Mitcher's old still. Contact me off list my email is available.

callmeox
03-15-2013, 12:05
At risk of straying off topic, would any SB folks be interested in participating in a Tom's Foolery Bourbon and Rye tasting? I could host it at the distillery. We have not released any whiskey yet, so it would be a "working session."

I would love to revisit your place to see the changes. Maybe we can meet at Subway across the steet from our offices for lunch to discuss the particulars. :D

If you want we can start a new thread to pick a date.

ohiobourbon
03-16-2013, 16:30
I would love to revisit your place to see the changes.
I'll send you a PM.

rndenks
03-17-2013, 19:18

I would love to join you all, and be part of this " working session". Just let me know when. I will send you a PM with contact info so we don't bog down this thread.

MacinJosh
04-10-2013, 15:53
Cleveland Bourbon, Batch #1, 100 proof

Nose: Pungent wood. Spray paint, sawdust, and wood glue. Table varnish with a touch of dry cedar. Am I in a wood shop?

Taste: Raw, green, and vegetal right up front. An awful, chemical presence. Fingernail polish remover and paint thinner. Hot and full of ethanol for only 100 proof. A touch of pine and cedar. Notes of new make are evident throughout but pungent bark and fresh cut wood dominate. Unfortunately, these two undesirable notes don't cancel each other out.

Finish: Lingering chemical compounds. Caulking glue and silicone. Short (thankfully) and dissipates quickly.

Rating: One of the worst bourbons I have ever had second only to Wyoming Bourbon Batch #4. Loads of terrible chemical notes and overbearing, young wood. It's not often I would turn down a pour of bourbon, but add this one to that short list. Truly abysmal. Score is a 63.

Willy Wonka can keep his "secret process" behind the curtain for all I care. :rolleyes:

MyOldKyDram
04-10-2013, 15:55
Man, you got my mouth watering over here. :slappin:

j1mmyj4m
04-10-2013, 16:00
Cleveland Bourbon, Batch #1, 100 proof

Nose: Pungent wood. Spray paint, sawdust, and wood glue. Table varnish with a touch of dry cedar. Am I in a wood shop?

Taste: Raw, green, and vegetal right up front. An awful, chemical presence. Fingernail polish remover and paint thinner. Hot and full of ethanol for only 100 proof. A touch of pine and cedar. Notes of new make are evident throughout but pungent bark and fresh cut wood dominate. Unfortunately, these two undesirable notes don't cancel each other out.

Finish: Lingering chemical compounds. Caulking glue and silicone. Short (thankfully) and dissipates quickly.

Rating: One of the worst bourbons I have ever had second only to Wyoming Bourbon Batch #4. Loads of terrible chemical notes and overbearing, young wood. It's not often I would turn down a pour of bourbon, but add this one to that short list. Truly abysmal. Score is a 63.

Willy Wonka can keep his "secret process" behind the curtain for all I care. :rolleyes:

I cracked up at work reading this.

squire
04-10-2013, 16:02
Good one Sean. . . . . .

BAO
04-10-2013, 16:03
I open this thread with much anticipation each time it gets bumped. That review definitely did not disappoint.

MyOldKyDram
04-10-2013, 16:08
This review needs to be posted on their Facebook page. Those folks are loving the stuff.

MacinJosh
04-10-2013, 16:20
Sorry to disappoint guys but it's truly awful stuff. I call it like I taste it. Get your hands on a pour and you'll see what I mean. I dumped half my sample down the drain. :-/

squire
04-10-2013, 16:27
Well I suppose the Malort drinkers would like it.

luther.r
04-10-2013, 16:58
Score is a 63.

Does your scoring system go from 63 to 100?

cowdery
04-10-2013, 17:51
I wondered about that too. What's it take to get a 62?

ThirstyinOhio
04-10-2013, 18:58
Even with it being a very bad bourbon, the stuff is still flying off the shelves here in north east Ohio. I would like to add that apparently I need to start sampling various products in my garage so that I can start to pick up flavors such as caulking glue and silicone.

BAO
04-10-2013, 19:39
Well I suppose the Malort drinkers would like it. HEY NOW that's giving Malort a bad name.

callmeox
04-10-2013, 22:07
I received a sample of this but I have not had the guts to try it yet. Sounds like I'll need to keep a skunk handy or something else to lick to get the taste of the whiskey out of my mouth. :D

cowdery
04-11-2013, 10:21
I worry that non-bourbon drinkers will think that's what bourbon tastes like and never touch bourbon again. On the other hand, screw 'em. They paid their money and took their chance.

MacinJosh
04-11-2013, 19:32
I wondered about that too. What's it take to get a 62?

Wyoming Bourbon Batch #4 :D

Honestly, I looked back at my notes on Wyoming and scored it one higher. :p

I suppose anywhere in the 60's is fine. < 70

MacinJosh
04-11-2013, 19:34
Even with it being a very bad bourbon, the stuff is still flying off the shelves here in north east Ohio. I would like to add that apparently I need to start sampling various products in my garage so that I can start to pick up flavors such as caulking glue and silicone.

What? You mean you guys didn't eat this stuff too when you were kids???? :eek:

Lol, I guess it's more on the nose than the palate but they work together. Don't our noses pick up the majority of our taste anyway? Hence why holding your nose while eating something awful works.....which is exactly what you'll want to do with this one.

Let us know what you think Scott when you're brave enough to give it a go. Each sip got progressively worse for me.

steeltownbbq
04-12-2013, 21:05
I live in Cleveland- so like a lot of locals I gave this a try. I'll share my thoughts and those of several friends.

Me - 1st taste "Not as bad as I expected"
Me - tonite -"I get two flavors - solvent and ashes."

Rick (Single malt drinker) "It has a cork - it must be good"
Vern (Seagrams Honey in diet cream soda drinker) "I like it - doesn't taste strong like your other bourbons"
Jose (Beer brewer) "Pretty much a one note song, but a nice bottle for olive oil "
Ken (Bourbon and Scotch drinker) "It's a lot better than Columbus Bourbon"
Mike (drinks anything) "Way better than Columbus Bourbon"

No way I'll drop another $30+ on this - I'll be in Frankfort next week - I'll be bringing back some real bourbons

MacinJosh
04-13-2013, 11:46
Getting caught up on WhiskyCast and just listened to episode 417. Mark reviewed this one and didn't have very nice things to say. His final score was a 60 (and he said that was being generous)....looks like we were on the same page. ;) :rolleyes:

DeanSheen
04-14-2013, 08:07
Ken (Bourbon and Scotch drinker) "It's a lot better than Columbus Bourbon"
Mike (drinks anything) "Way better than Columbus Bourbon"

So it's better than CBUS bourbon, thats a ringing endorsement.

snidelywhiplash
04-21-2013, 10:35
I worry that non-bourbon drinkers will think that's what bourbon tastes like and never touch bourbon again. On the other hand, screw 'em. They paid their money and took their chance.

</lurk>

While I appreciate and agree with this sentiment on one level, after seeing what popularity has done to the prices and spirit quality of Scotch whisky, I'd almost rather not have bourbon get any more popular.

ramblinman
05-06-2013, 12:37
Featuring a recent favorite around here, Cleveland Whiskey :)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/05/02/180661986/how-a-distillery-ages-bourbon-in-days-not-years.

MyOldKyDram
05-06-2013, 12:45
They start with young bourbon to begin with. And I sure as hell couldn't tell it had been "aged" beyond the bulk they bought. But hey, I wish everyone would start drinking this slop and leave the good stuff alone.

Meruck
05-06-2013, 14:29
Continuous heated charcoal filtering would do the same thing........maybe

squire
05-06-2013, 14:54
After reading that article my mind is definitely made up.

Meruck
05-06-2013, 15:07
After reading that article my mind is definitely made up.

Has your wife told you what that is yet?

squire
05-06-2013, 23:15
Shss, don't wake her up.

Dolph Lundgren
05-07-2013, 06:54

Given the current market, I can only hope...

DeanSheen
05-07-2013, 13:25
I have a sample here at my desk someone gave me from a launch event. I have been loathe to try it.

ramblinman
05-07-2013, 15:23
I have a sample here at my desk someone gave me from a launch event. I have been loathe to try it.Try it, and if possible film your reaction as the taste "develops"

cowdery
06-05-2013, 00:09
I wrote about this today (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2013/06/i-must-govern-clock-not-be-governed-by.html) and it occurs to me that what Beam does with Devil's Cut is a very mild version of what Cleveland is doing, which is forcing more extractives from the wood. From the taste of Devil's Cut, what you mostly get is a lot of tannic acid, which is okay when it's a little bit more -- whatever charm Devil's Cut has comes from that -- but a lot more would taste really awful.

I also don't want to think ill of Tom Lix. I want to think he is merely misguided. But with his training he knows the right way to demonstrate what his process does is not to compare his whiskey to Bulleit or Knob Creek, as he's been doing, but to the 6-month old (allegedly) bourbon he started with. Has anyone heard of him allowing someone to taste that?

Although one assumes that if it was a complete scam, the product would taste better.