PDA

View Full Version : A Superlative Jack Daniels

Gillman
01-21-2013, 15:55
I bought a 200 ml to top up my current JD vatting and was surprised how good it was. Soft and elegant, and it reminded me of nothing so much as the original Michter's (despite the low rye in the Jack). It had zero banana or other fruit but a complex slightly smoky sweetness.

I bought a couple more from the same shelf a few days later and they taste the same.

Jack is getting better and better and it's not my imagination. For once I thought it was worth the money - and more.

Gary

AaronWF
01-22-2013, 08:19
This doesn't speak to your point, Gary, regarding JD getting better, but I picked up a few 200ml bottles WT101 while on vacation last month and thought the juice inside was markedly better than the last time I had a pour from a bar bottle. It made me wonder if the producers might intentionally put better barrels towards smaller bottles, the strategy being to lure someone who purchases a 200ml bottle to go all in on a 750ml bottle next time.

squire
01-22-2013, 08:27
Don't know if that's the strategy but I can see how it might work.

Gillman
01-22-2013, 08:59
Interesting point!

Gary

HighHorse
01-22-2013, 11:50
Yesterday I left the bourbon and ventured back to Jack Daniels. It has been years since I had it .. going back to when I was drinking bourbon and coke! I had it on the rocks and was delighted. Had it with friends and we all admitted that none of us had it at home. I guess we've just become bourbon snobs. Well .. I had a second .. and that's more than enough to convince me to pick up a couple. The JD was loaded with sweet caramel goodness complete with a full, flowery bourbonesque nose and a determined finish. I guess it's no wonder they sell so much of this stuff. Unfortunately .. most of it is likely still consumed with coke or ginger ale. I'll also pick up some of the 200 ml bottles. Back to black .. who woulda thunk it?

IowaJeff
01-22-2013, 11:52
I havn't had Jack in a few years. Maybe I'll pick up a small bottle. Putting better juice in the smaller bottles could be a good marketing ploy - but it also could have tasted better b/c you were on vacation. Everything tastes better on vacation! :cool:

HighHorse
01-22-2013, 11:55
Re the Jack ... I also thought it was good enough and close enough to toss it in the fray on Squire's tasting quiz ... but thought ... nah .. there's no way he would do that! Not Squire!

fishnbowljoe
01-22-2013, 15:18
Hmmmmmm. Y'all got me thinking. Yeah, dangerous I know. :rolleyes:

I haven't had any JD in a while. I have a handle (about 1/2 full) that I keep around just in case. A couple of my bowling buddies love their Jack and Cokes, and my son will have one once in a while when he's over. To be honest, I've really never given much thought about regular JD as a sipper, even though I like my occasional Jack and Coke too. I have had a couple of bottles of JDSB in the past and thought they were pretty good for sipping, and thanks to a fellow SB member, I also have a bottle of JDSS that I think is quite good. The Tennessee equivalent of a BIB. :skep: And most of you know that next to wheaters, I love BIB's. :yum:

After supper tonight, I just may have to have me some Tennessee whiskey. :grin: After all, it's good to change things up once in a while. Cheers guys! Joe

T Comp
01-22-2013, 18:03
I bought a 200 ml to top up my current JD vatting and was surprised how good it was. Soft and elegant, and it reminded me of nothing so much as the original Michter's (despite the low rye in the Jack). It had zero banana or other fruit but a complex slightly smoky sweetness.

I bought a couple more from the same shelf a few days later and they taste the same.

Jack is getting better and better and it's not my imagination. For once I thought it was worth the money - and more.

Gary

However a single barrel version I tasted at a restaurant a few weeks ago, that was just handpicked by them, did have prominent banana. I passed the glencairn for my wife to smell, saying nothing, and the first comment from her was banana. She only drinks her whiskey in an Old Fashioned and knows nothing about this proclivity of JD. The menu relates, that Jeff Arnett had proclaimed this was a true honey barrel redolent with butterscotch. And it still wasn't bad and had some other things going on but no butterscotch to me. This restaurants handpicked Eagle Rare was the highlight of the 3 of their handpicks I tasted that evening with tons of cherry pipe tobacco smell, as I best remember, from sticking my face into my Dad's canister of it back in the '60s :grin:.

Gillman
01-22-2013, 18:50
Definitely still present in some bottlings, but not these 200 ml, really! It must vary depending on the barrels/batches, and I'm hoping is being rubbed out.

Gary

T Comp
01-22-2013, 19:18
Definitely still present in some bottlings, but not these 200 ml, really! It must vary depending on the barrels/batches, and I'm hoping is being rubbed out.
Gary

I certainly believe you and your palate Gary and hope the same. Funny that tonight...I've settled into a sample somebody gave me of a 11 year old Party Source Willett, 113.2 proof and barrel # 372, and it too has a light dose of banana, but I'm thinking this one's originally a Barton.

VAGentleman
01-23-2013, 07:21
Nice to see some JD love on this board instead of the usual bashing. I love me some JD JDSB and JDSS

Gillman
01-23-2013, 08:45
VOB does have a banana-like nose I would say, different than JD has had, but the analogy makes sense IMO.

Gary

kickert
01-23-2013, 12:07
They had Jack on sale here for around $20 (instead of the usual $35), so I picked up a couple bottles. Nothing great, but enjoyable. I really like to sip on the JDSB. I call it "the best whiskey to drink when you want something good, but don't want to think too much about it."

HighHorse
01-23-2013, 12:10
By chance the Brown Forman rep stopped by the porch last night and I inquired about the source of the whiskey in the minis. He laughed at me when I suggested they might be juiced up to spur sales and said matter-of-factly that it is the same juice as in the bottles.

They also brought by a taste of the new Jack white dog Rye offering .. not sure what it's being branded as. It's in a few states now but just coming in to Florida. There had to be 8 or 9 of us tasting .. most in the business .. and, while there was some discussion of the rye back-end, etc, etc .. it was not enthusiastically endorsed for those who love their bourbon and rye. No doubt it will fill a niche for white dog .. with the rye standing out as unique. It's all moonshine to me.

I was having Jack again and handed the glass to two very discriminating bourbonites for a blind taste. Each was impressed and surprised when I told them it was Jack Black. Not a person I have handed it to remembers Jack tasting this good. The bartender reminded me that those of us who drank it years ago were drinking it at a higher proof and that it was, indeed, not so sipping friendly as it is now at 80 proof. He indicated that it has been proofed down a couple of times and that BF dropped the proof to 80 when they purchased JD. Not many 80's I find as pleasing.
They should run a campaign to 'come back to Jack'"!

HighHorse
01-23-2013, 12:13
... I really like to sip on the JDSB. I call it "the best whiskey to drink when you want something good, but don't want to think too much about it."

Perfect! That will be added to my lexicon. Sometimes that is exactly what I want.

tanstaafl2
01-23-2013, 12:16
They also brought by a taste of the new Jack white dog Rye offering .. not sure what it's being branded as.

"Unaged Tennessee Rye"

(http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18993-Jack-Daniels-Unaged-Rye&p=318845&viewfull=1#post318845)

wadewood
01-23-2013, 12:59
Good call Gary. I happened to buy a new bottle of Jack just the other day. It's not something I buy for myself, but I buy it for the same reason I keep a bottle of Crown at home - a well stocked bar for guests. My previous Jack bottle was 3-4 years old and down to about 20% left. I tried side by side and I picked up less shellac and banana peel in newer version. I still get the banana peel but is very weak.

squire
01-23-2013, 13:45
I heard that same canard the other day from someone who should know better, that Brown-Forman lowered the proof to 80 when they bought Jack Daniels.

Brown-Forman has owned Jack Daniels for more than 50 years.

Gillman
01-23-2013, 16:56
Glad to hear that Wade, something is afoot here. It is not invariable yet, but something is going on IMO. It's like perhaps the "eucalyptus" that so many noticed in HH bourbons 10-12 years ago. It's gone now.

Now only if Beam would... :)

Gary

smokinjoe
01-23-2013, 17:15
Glad to hear that Wade, something is afoot here. It is not invariable yet, but something is going on IMO. It's like perhaps the "eucalyptus" that so many noticed in HH bourbons 10-12 years ago. It's gone now.

Now only if Beam would... :)

Gary

Yeah my friend, but... I like that they have the bananas in JD. I like that they had the eucalyptus in old HH. I like that they have the yeasty thang in Beam. I like that they have the cantaloupe rind in Woodford. I like that they have the good earthiness to a good BT. I like whatever the heck that is in LDI ryes. House Styles. That's what I like. Not every bourbon has to be creamy vanillas, burnt sugar, caramel, and so on...I would hate if all bourbon whiskies migrated to an indistinguishable profile. Heck, sometimes I think we're almost there, already...

Stay DIFFERENT, I say!!!!

:soapbox:

T Comp
01-23-2013, 18:54
It ain't dead yet at HH...well maybe not exactly eucalyptus but definitely spearmint. Way to much of it in the newly arrived 2003 vintage EW SB handpicked by Binny's and designated as Barrel #7. The bottle minus 3 ounces will be available for keeps to anyone who wants it come Sampler weekend. I tried again tonight but the mint overpowers and damn if it won't go away. Not for me.

Gillman
01-23-2013, 18:57
I am all for differences, but based on flavors I regard as superlative and not based e.g., on - these are metaphors - funk, banana-acetone, pronounced vegetal, or what have you.

The existing palette of bourbon flavors hardly exhausts the potential range.

I would say Jack without a strong banana-acetone-like taste is a superior flavor, but still distinctive. I said earlier the 200 mls I tried had a distinctive complex sweetness, for example.

Gary

smokinjoe
01-23-2013, 20:00
It ain't dead yet at HH...well maybe not exactly eucalyptus but definitely spearmint. Way to much of it in the newly arrived 2003 vintage EW SB handpicked by Binny's and designated as Barrel #7. The bottle minus 3 ounces will be available for keeps to anyone who wants it come Sampler weekend. I tried again tonight but the mint overpowers and damn if it won't go away. Not for me.

I would love to bogart your free bottle at Sampler, Thad! :D Unfortunately, once Jimmy hears that there is a freebie bottle available, it'll be in his suitcase before lunch. :rolleyes: Anywho, I'm sure I'll pony up for a bottle beforehand, as I always look forward to the yearly releases of EWSB. I'll be looking for that spearmint.

fishnbowljoe
01-23-2013, 21:14
I understand where everyone is coming from with the banana flavor in JD products. I thought the same thing too. I've sipped some JD the last couple of nights, and I got something different this time around. Yeah, we all know that JD is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, and maybe it's a bit suggestive, but I swear the sweetness I got from my JD and JDSS was more akin to a hint of maple syrup. :skep: Maybe y'all could revisit your Jack and see if you can taste it too. I'd hate to think that I'm the only crazy one here that tastes maple syrup. :crazy:

HighHorse
01-24-2013, 08:44
I heard that same canard the other day from someone who should know better, that Brown-Forman lowered the proof to 80 when they bought Jack Daniels.

Brown-Forman has owned Jack Daniels for more than 50 years.

Thanks, Squire .. I'll double check and inform my bartender .. he should know better! (I'll inform him pleasantly, though, so as not to impact my future pours.)

SFS
01-24-2013, 09:14
Yes, let's not upset THOSE bartenders. Too huge a resource, from what Steve tells me. Guess I'll see for myself in March.

VAGentleman
01-24-2013, 11:51
I understand where everyone is coming from with the banana flavor in JD products. I thought the same thing too. I've sipped some JD the last couple of nights, and I got something different this time around. Yeah, we all know that JD is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, and maybe it's a bit suggestive, but I swear the sweetness I got from my JD and JDSS was more akin to a hint of maple syrup. :skep: Maybe y'all could revisit your Jack and see if you can taste it too. I'd hate to think that I'm the only crazy one here that tastes maple syrup. :crazy:

I just had some JDSS ans tasted a hint of maple syrup in the initial taste, towards the front of the tongue. It disappeared into the oak and char flavor pretty quickly though. And I've never really tasted any banana in any of the JD products I've had. Must just be me.

BourbonJoe
01-24-2013, 12:13
I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.
Joe :usflag:

OscarV
01-24-2013, 14:03
I just acquired a Silver Select. Very good, no banana. I think this is the best expression of JD I've ever had.
Joe :usflag:

The Silver Select is only available in "Duty Free" shops, correct?

unclebunk
01-24-2013, 16:32
I plan on picking up a bottle of JD for our Super Bowl party, as I have several friends that love the stuff. It'll give me a chance to sample it side-by-side with the remainder of a bottle I bought last year which was decent enough but nothing special. Here's hoping the newer bottle shines!

VAGentleman
01-25-2013, 04:24
The Silver Select is only available in "Duty Free" shops, correct?

Yes that is correct

fishnbowljoe
01-25-2013, 16:20
I know of a store that (hopefully still) has a number of bottles of the semi-dusty old 86 proof JD. I'ill try and procure another bottle or two if I can. Maybe one could make the trip with me to the sampler. :cool:

p_elliott
01-27-2013, 13:48
I know of a store that (hopefully still) has a number of bottles of the semi-dusty old 86 proof JD. I'ill try and procure another bottle or two if I can. Maybe one could make the trip with me to the sampler. :cool:

I would snag up on those even though I don't drink JD. I know people who do that would like to have it .

fishnbowljoe
01-28-2013, 20:25
I would snag up on those even though I don't drink JD. I know people who do that would like to have it .

I might do that. The problem is, the store owner knows what he has. He's raised the price some.

ErichPryde
01-28-2013, 20:34
amazing whiskey. if you can try Silver Select, do it.

unclebunk
01-29-2013, 06:30
I might do that. The problem is, the store owner knows what he has. He's raised the price some.

What does something like that go for, Joe?

fishnbowljoe
01-29-2013, 14:41
What does something like that go for, Joe?

Last time I was there it was about $25 IIRC.

ErichPryde
01-29-2013, 14:50
25 is fair for the 86er, and it's good whiskey but not spectacular. If you were talking 90 proof jack, you'd have something for sure!

bad_scientist
02-23-2013, 14:07
I'd never had JD (any label) in my life until yesterday, when my friend gave me a 100 ml bottle for our Friday "beer-thirty" sendoff to the week. I found it to be like liquid bananas, with a finish reminiscent of chewing on a rubber ball. Ummm, interesting? I guess it's a good mixer, with the uber-banana flavor. I suppose this bottle was not one of the new, improved ones.

HighHorse
03-14-2013, 11:40
Yeah my friend, but... I like that they have the bananas in JD. I like that they had the eucalyptus in old HH. I like that they have the yeasty thang in Beam. I like that they have the cantaloupe rind in Woodford. I like that they have the good earthiness to a good BT. I like whatever the heck that is in LDI ryes. House Styles. That's what I like. Not every bourbon has to be creamy vanillas, burnt sugar, caramel, and so on...I would hate if all bourbon whiskies migrated to an indistinguishable profile. Heck, sometimes I think we're almost there, already...

Stay DIFFERENT, I say!!!!

:soapbox:

I'd like to revive this quote from our currant BOTY! It's a classic IMO and I totally agree.

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-15-2013, 14:50
I picked up a 200ml awhile ago. Today I poured a JDSB and a JD#7 head to head. the old #7 has lots of banana notes, smokey, vanilla, some oak and hints of baking chocolate. the single barrel has a thicker mouth feel, more oak and vanilla. the banana notes are toned down and very faint, with bittersweet chocolate finish.

fishnbowljoe
04-08-2013, 15:37
UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. :skep: She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners just passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

WhiskyToWhiskey
04-08-2013, 15:56
UPDATE! I called the store back that had the 86 proof JD. The lady I talked to thought she called me back. :skep: She thinks they have some more, but she's not sure where it's at. Part of that reason is that one of the store owners jut passed away. She said she'd call me back this week after things have hopefully settled down and gotten back into a more regular routine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?

Gillman
04-08-2013, 17:13
The 86 White Saloon is (IMO) similar to the Black Label but stronger of course.

I just made a three-JD blend using White Saloon, Silver Select and fairly light-bodied SB. It's about 2:1:1.

I am bringing it to gazebo forthcoming as I think it is outstanding both in taste and pillowy soft texture.

Gary

fishnbowljoe
04-12-2013, 15:51
Here in Ontario we have lots of JD 86proof. It's marketed as Jack Daniel's White Rabbit Saloon. I assume the one you are after is just in a standard Old #7 bottle from years ago?

Yes, it's regular Old #7, only a semi-dusty version. BF lowered the proof to 80 in 2005 (?).

George
04-13-2013, 07:21
I haven't had JD in years, but I recently saw it on sale and bought a bottle for the heck of it. This thread has me looking forward to trying it.

fishnbowljoe
04-14-2013, 09:54
Well, I got the call, so I had to do my sworn duty. :cool: I was a little surprised that these were liters and not 750's as before. Pics below.

Joe

Gillman
04-14-2013, 11:50
Nice! One of the things I find with JD is that it just tastes better at 86 proof or over. My JD vatting coming to Sampler has 3 JDs in about equal proportions, the 86 proof White Saloon, Silver Select, and a regular Single Barrel. I feel the taste is very good and rich but also that it benefits from the resultant approximately 90 proof.

Gary

squire
04-14-2013, 12:12
Well, 90 is the proof that made the brand's reputation.

callmeox
04-14-2013, 12:25
I believe that I have a bottle of Silver Select in my near future. I'm not a JD fan, but these finds are pretty sweet. :grin:

Wryguy
04-15-2013, 09:56
For anyone seeking JD @86 proof, Stateline Liquors in South Beloit, IL has 750s and liters in abundance. I think the 750 was 14.59.

deathevocation
04-16-2013, 05:44
Haven't seen 86 proof for years in Australia.

Jack Daniels has been a constant companion since I started drinking alcohol. There's a story in every bottle. Enjoy.

Wryguy
04-29-2013, 06:24
OK, this time I'm sure it's Jack: found a dozen bottles of the Angelo Lucchesi bottling, 90 proof, @34.99. I've searched and searched but can't find any reviews from someone who has actually tasted this. I'm not a JD fan, but I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra cash for the extra proof if say others can speak to its quality. If it was 21.99 it'd be at home with me already.

VAGentleman
04-29-2013, 11:59
I've had it, its decent. Regular JD with a little more punch

fishnbowljoe
05-02-2013, 16:13
The Angelo Lucchesi bottling is basically what JD used to be before 1987? Or, close to what JDSB is now.

VAGentleman
05-03-2013, 06:51
Closer ot what it was like in the 80's. The Lucchesi is still a mix of a lot of barrels, just proofed to 90 instead of 80. Thats how they do all of their special bottlings, like the White Rabbit saloon and Master Distiller bottles they're now selling at the distillery.

MauiSon
07-30-2013, 16:49
I just ran across a bunch of the Angelo Luchesi bottles @$20. Guess I'll pick up a couple for grins and giggles.

tmckenzie
08-11-2013, 16:15
I bought some green label last weekend for a camping trip. I was astounded at the way it had improved. It was more like JD of old. I am told that a few years ago that some extra copper found its way into the system. I bought some black label and it is not there yet. So it makes sense the green would improve first. It had that good JD flavor that I think it lost over say the last 15 years.

Brisko
08-16-2013, 08:55
I had a similar experience to Gary's initial post. I picked up a pint of Jack this past weekend for a quick overnight trip to see some family. I was frankly shocked at how much better it is than a few years ago. No banana, lots of caramel and a silky hint of smoke. Something else that I would call malty, I guess. Had I tasted this blind I would not have guessed it to be Jack.

I'm trying to think if there is an 80 proofer out there that I like better. I can't come up with one. I still think it's overpriced by at least half but I can't fault the quality, as it is top notch in my opinion.

WhiskyToWhiskey
10-31-2013, 14:03
JD has become my "go to" whiskey lately. I have purchased all the limited edition bottles available in Ontario, Canada. Most recently the Master Distiller Series #1. This bottles does taste different than the White Rabbit Saloon, both at 43% abv. The MDS #1 tastes spicier, and the WRS tastes much sweeter. The 1954 Gold Metal tastes a bit spicy, not as sweet, and has no where close to the amount of wood influence of the others (Black Label, WRS, MDS #1, Single Barrel). I wonder if they took the barrels from the lower floors, in the center of the warehouse like they are said to do with the Green Label.

Gillman
10-31-2013, 16:17
Excellent comments both. Jack has improved considerably in the last 10 years, all versions. All my friends here who enjoy whiskey agree on this.

Gary