PDA

View Full Version : New Holland beer barrel aged bourbon

Restaurant man
01-24-2013, 19:27
This got pitched to me today and I have to admit it was a nice pour. What we call 'interesting whiskey'
Its MGPI (says distilled in Lawrenceberg Indiana) with 90 days finished in new holland brewery's dragon milk beer barrels. Aside from the creamy, rounder, flavor I liked the fact that it was mid twenty$$ wholesale. Distributor said it was 5 year bourbon but I'm not betting any money on that. Tasted older than 2 for sure. Anybody had this?

MyOldKyDram
01-24-2013, 19:31
Yeah, I like it quite a bit. Definitely different. Very creamy, malty, and just a very agreeable pour. I would definitely buy it again.

White Dog
01-24-2013, 20:29
They've been distilling whiskey for quite some time. While I'm glad they're being transparent, why source? No pride in their product?

cowdery
01-25-2013, 10:24
Unlike the rye, the MGPI bourbon is not to my liking. Almost everybody who uses it finishes it in some way. Of the ones I've tasted, the New Holland is the most successful. I agree with the 'creamy, malty' description.

Tony
01-25-2013, 11:15
Thanks for reminding me about this, have been wanting to try and will go get a bottle today.

Will report back later.

Best regards, Tony

Josh
01-26-2013, 09:13
They've been distilling whiskey for quite some time. While I'm glad they're being transparent, why source? No pride in their product?

Their primary product is their Zeppelin Bend American Malt. It's OK. They have made some other malt whiskeys, a rye, a hop-infused gns faux tequila, rum & a pretty good gin.

I don't know if they've distilled a bourbon. I've reviewed many of their beers and spirits on the blog, but I've never even had a retweet or comment in reply.

awachatz
01-26-2013, 17:03
I enjoyed this product at the price of $29.99. I let the empty glencairn sit out overnight and it smelt solely like beer the next morning.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

shoshani
01-26-2013, 19:11
I've seen it but haven't bought it, but I'm curious as to the labeling. If it's aged at least two years they could legally call it straight bourbon whiskey, couldn't they? (Their literature just says "aged for years" without specifying, but the plural implies more than one.)

Restaurant man
01-26-2013, 21:24
I've seen it but haven't bought it, but I'm curious as to the labeling. If it's aged at least two years they could legally call it straight bourbon whiskey, couldn't they? (Their literature just says "aged for years" without specifying, but the plural implies more than one.)

4 years to be labeled straight I believe

Restaurant man
01-26-2013, 21:26
They list it as a few years, which in my book means three. But I don't think there is a legal definition of few.

squire
01-26-2013, 22:11
Two years to be labeled Straight Bourbon, but if it is aged less than four the age statement must be on the label.

Few means more than two.

Tony
01-27-2013, 06:56
Ok, picked up a bottle yesterday. It is not bad but not inspiring in any way. But it was fun to have some bourbon barrel aged beers along with it, a fun way to spend an evening.

Best regards, Tony

cbus
01-27-2013, 07:43
Finished off a bottle of this the other day. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure how much of the beer I can taste, but I found it quite nice.

Enoch
01-27-2013, 08:28
First Bourbon-Barreled-Beer; now Beer-Barreled Whiskey.....

Ejmharris
01-27-2013, 12:56
First Bourbon-Barreled-Beer; now Beer-Barreled Whiskey.....

... That was from a beer that was bourbon barrel aged. Cycle of life I guess.

Mike

Restaurant man
01-27-2013, 19:25
Two years to be labeled Straight Bourbon, but if it is aged less than four the age statement must be on the label.

Few means more than two.

Thank u sir for the clarification. Always appreciated

Beer&Bourbon
01-28-2013, 12:04
... That was from a beer that was bourbon barrel aged. Cycle of life I guess.

Mike

I also thought it was interesting that they're putting this in a beer barrel that previously held a bourbon-barrel beer. So the barrel had bourbon then beer then bourbon again. I wonder if it then goes back into their Dragon's Milk barrel line-up. This would be an easy way for them to save some money by reusing the bourbon barrels (while still getting that robust bourbon flavor). I also wonder if the dose of bourbon would kill off any bacteria species that (an infected batch of) beer could introduce to the barrel.

I'm also interested to try this, but since I'm currently on a self-enforced spending freeze, I'll have to hope someone else local picks it up and invites me over... (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).