PDA

View Full Version : Which bourbon to try "Apple Pie infused bourbon"?

JPBoston
01-25-2013, 08:51
I've been wanting to try the ol' apple pie infused bourbon thing ever since it became semi-featured on Justified a couple seasons back.

What bourbon would you guys use to make it with? I was thinking OWA (or maybe Weller SR, so the proof doesn't overpower the apple flavors)... but then got to thinking, maybe a spicy bourbon would do the trick; something like OGD BiB. Does anybody here have experience making it?

Here's a link to a simple and easy recipe...
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-infused-bourbon-50400000123198/

soonami
01-25-2013, 09:37
I've made this before although the recipe I used was a little different.

I used granny smith apples for their bright, tart flavors. I sliced them as thin as possible to give them lots of surface area.

I also used a little vanilla extract after the apple maceration. You could put in half a split bean as well.

I actually used a mix of Willet Single Barrel Rye and Bulleit in the infusion. I think the rye and high rye bourbon lends a really interesting complex spiciness to the drink.

Ejmharris
01-26-2013, 16:06
I've been wanting to try the ol' apple pie infused bourbon thing ever since it became semi-featured on Justified a couple seasons back.

What bourbon would you guys use to make it with? I was thinking OWA (or maybe Weller SR, so the proof doesn't overpower the apple flavors)... but then got to thinking, maybe a spicy bourbon would do the trick; something like OGD BiB. Does anybody here have experience making it?

Here's a link to a simple and easy recipe...
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-infused-bourbon-50400000123198/

Well the justified version was not really bourbon. I actually like using a white dog for the recipe. It give it a sharpness in the drink that the aged bourbon lacks.

Mike

SmoothAmbler
01-27-2013, 07:51
Well the justified version was not really bourbon. I actually like using a white dog for the recipe. It give it a sharpness in the drink that the aged bourbon lacks.

Mike

I agree. White dog is better in Apple Pie than bourbon, IMO. We've tried NGS too, but the white dog seems to be the best.

JPBoston
01-27-2013, 10:35
Meant to mention, I realized the homemade stuff on Justified was most likely moonshine... but I want to stay away from white dog, only because I've never tried it and I want to keep price down a bit. All the unaged stuff I've seen has been ridiculously pricey (though I've never really 'looked' specifically for it).

And I've only had one straight rye before (WT101)... was not a fan of the minty aftertaste at all, and it actually made me notice the flavor in high-rye bourbons, in which I hadn't detected it in before. :(

ADDED:

Any cheap options for white dog that I should keep my eyes open for? I did a quick search at Total Wine's site, and BT seems to have a reasonable one --- but it's out of stock. Hudson is like $40 here, which seems a bit crazy to me.

camduncan
01-27-2013, 14:54
It's not 'White Dog' per se, but Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey might work.... (others may have experienced opinions) it's usually about $15-$20 at Binnys i think.

JPBoston
01-27-2013, 14:59
It's not 'White Dog' per se, but Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey might work.... (others may have experienced opinions) it's usually about $15-$20 at Binnys i think.

Looked it up at TW --- cool bottle, and only $11.99. But of course, out of stock (at bevmo as well, punks).

SmoothAmbler
01-27-2013, 16:46

This was going to be my exact recommendation too.

JPBoston
01-30-2013, 00:59
Finally broke down and just went super-simple... good ol' Evan Williams Black Label. I noticed it for $8 at Walmart while I was picking up milk/bread, and figured 'what the hell'.

It's now marinading... will report back in 4-5 days with a quick review. :)

JPBoston
02-03-2013, 18:54
The mix came out 'ok'... too much spice, not enough apple. Maybe the apple would shine thru better with the white-dog/corn whiskey as was suggested earlier.

I wound up juicing a granny smith and a golden-delicious (I think) apple and adding about 5oz of the resulting juice to the mix, and now it has more apple flavor. If I knew I'd be adding juice, I would have skipped the simple syrup.

Probably easier just to make apple-cider bourbon cocktails, or even apple juice bourbon cocktails.... nothing mind-blowing about this mix. I'll try it again when I can get my hands on the aforementioned corn whiskey.... other than that, I'm not really interested.

Rockefeller
02-08-2013, 11:33
Any reason not to just get a bottle of Calvados?

JPBoston
02-08-2013, 12:57
Any reason not to just get a bottle of Calvados?

Not sure if you're baiting or actually asking... but I mentioned in the OP that I had an itch to try a homemade bourbon 'apple pie' since seeing it on Justified, which was probably made with corn whiskey/moonshine.

stevegoz
02-09-2013, 13:37

Just put a jar of this together using GMCW -- thanks for the tip!