PDA

View Full Version : The "I don't care about the Maker's Mark's drama" thread.

ethangsmith
02-18-2013, 18:11
Yep, I'm one of the people that doesn't care about Maker's Mark and whether it's 101, 90, 84, or out of business. So here's an oasis away from the crying, celebrating, press releases, arguing, tom-foolery (Not the distillery- those guys rock!), and any other adjective I could think of.....

Post your "Why I don't drink Maker's Mark or care about what's going on" story here:

Mine?
I don't care for "wheated" bourbons. I can appreciate the flavor profile and I can understand the craftsmanship and skill that go into brands like Van Winkle or Maker's Mark, but I just don't care for the sweetness and simpleness they impart. I'm a "rye guy" and I like brashness and spice in my whiskey and "wheated' bourbons do not deliver for my palate.

Or, if you don't care to "hate" on poor Maker's Mark, post up your favorite bourbon or rye- anything to get our minds off the media firestorm this has created!

ebo
02-18-2013, 18:43
Well, I have had a bottle or two of MM in my day, but I really don't care for the wheat profile either. Not that I think MM is a bad pour, I just prefer rye over wheat. I don't care for wheat beer, either, so................

I still can't shake the feeling that MM pulled a fast one with this.

LostBottle
02-18-2013, 19:15
I don't really care either - rye just tastes better.

squire
02-18-2013, 19:38
I feel precisely the same about Makers as I do about other wheat recipe whiskies, which is to say neutral. I like rye recipe Bourbons and that's not gonna change. To me a wheat recipe Bourbon is like a good gumbo where the cook forgot to add the hot sauce.

smknjoe
02-18-2013, 19:45
I don't really care either - rye just tastes better.

...and it's the more traditional of the two styles.

HighHorse
02-18-2013, 19:49
I feel precisely the same about Makers as I do about other wheat recipe whiskies, which is to say neutral. I like rye recipe Bourbons and that's not gonna change. To me a wheat recipe Bourbon is like a good gumbo where the cook forgot to add the hot sauce.

Squire - I'm thinking you could go back and do a book on some of your sayings. The gumbo analogy is a classic! .. a keeper. You are kind enough to call it a 'good' gumbo!

ChainWhip
02-18-2013, 19:49
This is turning into a wheater stomp

OscarV
02-18-2013, 19:52
I love a good wheater but MM ain't one.
At 6 summers in the wood it is way to young regardless if it's 90 or 84 proof.

LostBottle
02-18-2013, 20:23
This is turning into a wheater stomp

if they aren't watering 'em down (MM), they are jacking up the prices (PVW) or removing the age statement (OWA) - they could all be named Larceny.

ChainWhip
02-18-2013, 20:26
Sadly, a trend not wholly exclusive to wheaters :-(

jwacky
02-18-2013, 20:32
OK, I've only recently been in to expanding my horizons, so to speak, with bourbons. Before I'd always been a one-bottle-at-a-time guy, but as my brother-in-law kept pouring me samples, I started to truly appreciate the nuances in various (types of) bourbons.

I don't NOT like wheated bourbons, but there more of a mid-afternoon drink for me. Not a whole lot going on, feels like something is 'missing', as others have said.

When MM first announced the lowering of the proof, I thought it sucked. Don't water down my drink!! Then I realized, I've come to like Larceny at least as much, anyway... and there are a ton of other bourbons and whiskeys out there to drink instead... and oh well, guess I won't be buying any more MM.

I have a novice palate, I'm probably in the camp they 'knew' wouldn't taste the difference anyway. Still, it's the principle of it all.

Ultimately, I did not care. I wouldn't have bought it if prices had gone up instead, I wouldn't have bought it knowing it'd been watered down to save them money/make them more. Odd PR move, perhaps poor publicity stunt.

jwacky
02-18-2013, 20:33
So... I don't care about the MM drama because there are so many other great bourbons for me to try!

qman22
02-18-2013, 20:57
I enjoy both wheat and rye varieties of bourbon, but I've never cared for Maker's Mark. It has an overkill of cinnamon flavor that reminds me of a melted fireball jawbreaker without the heat... It's off putting to me

I agree that it's too young, and would love to try a well aged version. More time in the wood would probably make MM juice much more interesting, but I guess we will never know... Even though I seldom drink MM, I have to admit all this drama has been interesting. It's like a bad reality show that you can't stop watching even though you know it sucks... How long will the fans blast the Facebook page? Who will give in first? Holy crap this many people like MM! Oh the suspense!! Reversed decision!! Hooray!! Wait.. I don't even like this stuff... Eh, back to sipping on Weller 12

dementedavenger
02-18-2013, 23:14
I love wheaters but I hate MM. It tastes sweet and syrupy to me. I actually got pissed at a high-end cocktail bar when they made me a "bartender's choice" cocktail and used MM. On the flip side, my wife got pissed at me when I took out a bottle of MM (received as a gift) one night because she was having some friends over. It's now become a household joke that we only serve MM to people we don't like.

JPBoston
02-18-2013, 23:24
It's now become a household joke that we only serve MM to people we don't like.

Man, I'm no MM lover.... but I need more enemies like you.

humchan2k
02-20-2013, 12:29
Mine?
I don't care for "wheated" bourbons. I can appreciate the flavor profile and I can understand the craftsmanship and skill that go into brands like Van Winkle or Maker's Mark, but I just don't care for the sweetness and simpleness they impart. I'm a "rye guy" and I like brashness and spice in my whiskey and "wheated' bourbons do not deliver for my palate.

!

You are officially my hero. I have exactly 100% the same sentiment. I'm glad people like wheaters, but they just don't send me. Gimme big, bold ryes all day, thank you!

Restaurant man
02-21-2013, 21:24
You are officially my hero. I have exactly 100% the same sentiment. I'm glad people like wheaters, but they just don't send me. Gimme big, bold ryes all day, thank you!

Umm. Have u seen your avatar?

White Dog
02-22-2013, 11:06

I was thinking the same thing.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of MM, it's a solid/average wheater in a market that's extremely short on wheaters. While many of you "don't care" what happens with MM because you don't drink it, I'll still stand by you all when Beam drops Knob Creek to 86pr. Or when WT101 drops to WT91. Or when Baby Saz drops to 82.

humchan2k
02-22-2013, 13:55

Fair point....but Old Fitz from '68 and current production MM have about as much in common as Pinot Noir and White Zin. Yeah, they're both wine....but that's about it. Same thing here.

Old Fitz is sexy and tastes rich, full bodied and is incredibly evenly balanced..MM tastes like sugar, water and emptiness

CoMobourbon
02-23-2013, 09:55
"if they aren't watering 'em down (MM), they are jacking up the prices (PVW) or removing the age statement (OWA) - they could all be named Larceny."

Sadly, a trend not wholly exclusive to wheaters :-(

I was thinking the same thing.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of MM, it's a solid/average wheater in a market that's extremely short on wheaters. While many of you "don't care" what happens with MM because you don't drink it, I'll still stand by you all when Beam drops Knob Creek to 86pr. Or when WT101 drops to WT91. Or when Baby Saz drops to 82.

Just connecting some dots here.

THIS is why the proof change matters to all of us. I too am not a huge Maker's fan, but I am troubled by this move (on a major brand made by a major whiskey producer) if it represents a larger trend - and I think it does. Complaining about it and resisting could (hopefully) influence macroscopic industry behavior.

Not that it will. But you get the idea; in principle, we should resist this.

squire
02-23-2013, 10:01
Our biggest impact would be to support those who don't.

CoMobourbon
02-23-2013, 10:15
Yes and no. In general, you are right; spending money sends a much clearer signal than not spending money. But sometimes, as in this case, whining, threatening to not spend money, or actually not spending money causes (or at least correlates with) a change in industry behavior.

In the grand scheme of things, though, I think that Beam's willingness to even try this indicates a (well-documented and discussed) trend toward maximizes profits and screwing over customers amid heightened demand and diminished supply.

The Boozer
02-23-2013, 12:38
Fair point....but Old Fitz from '68 and current production MM have about as much in common as Pinot Noir and White Zin. Yeah, they're both wine....but that's about it. Same thing here.

Old Fitz is sexy and tastes rich, full bodied and is incredibly evenly balanced..MM tastes like sugar, water and emptiness

There are a whole lot of people on this site that will tell you that the rye bourbons of today don't hold a candle to the late 1960's vintages of the WT's, Old Forester, OGD and such.

The Boozer
02-23-2013, 12:43
With regard to MM, don't confuse attempts to maximize profits versus corporate's self created fubar through its own idiocy.

squire
02-23-2013, 15:08
I believe it was Einstein who said genius has limits but idiocy does not.

ILLfarmboy
02-25-2013, 07:46
CoMobourbon, It must be frustrating for you to often be the only thoughtful and pragmatic one among your peers. Unthinking dogma is everywhere.

I think the mistake you make is to assume everyone else is just as earnest and pragmatic and can see beyond their own biases. Hater's gonna hate.

CoMobourbon
02-25-2013, 18:38
CoMobourbon, It must be frustrating for you to often be the only thoughtful and pragmatic one among your peers. Unthinking dogma is everywhere.

I think the mistake you make is to assume everyone else is just as earnest and pragmatic and can see beyond their own biases. Hater's gonna hate.

Thread spillover, maybe...?

In any case, thanks, I think. While I am not sure who my peers are or who the haters are in this case, I appreciate the compliment. But remember, I am least as pessimistic as you about people's basic motivations.