PDA

View Full Version : Howdy From Georgia

ramblinman
02-26-2013, 15:26
Decatur, to be a bit more specific.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. I've been a bourbon guy for years, but just got into trying newer things and appreciating some different of the different offerings. I usually drink it neat, through a simple old fashioned is a nice to come home to.

As far as tastes go, I'd have to say that right now Weller 12 is my favorite wheater, Old Granddad 114 and Elmer T Lee are neck and neck for favorite "traditional" bourbon, and Rittenhouse is my go to rye. Only one I can't stand 1792, something about it just completely disagrees with my tastes.

Cheers

squire
02-26-2013, 15:38
Welcome aboard ramblinman, you'll find good company here. Do drop by the chat room some evening and introduce yourself, the icon is on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

darylld911
02-26-2013, 16:25
Welcome ramblinman!

BigRich
02-26-2013, 17:15
Welcome to our madhouse of bourbon fun!

smknjoe
02-26-2013, 17:28
Decatur, to be a bit more specific.

Looking forward to being part of the forum. I've been a bourbon guy for years, but just got into trying newer things and appreciating some different of the different offerings. I usually drink it neat, through a simple old fashioned is a nice to come home to.

As far as tastes go, I'd have to say that right now Weller 12 is my favorite wheater, Old Granddad 114 and Elmer T Lee are neck and neck for favorite "traditional" bourbon, and Rittenhouse is my go to rye. Only one I can't stand 1792, something about it just completely disagrees with my tastes.

Cheers

Welcome, and good taste! I feel the same way about Weller 12 as you do the 1792. We may be in the minority there.

MyOldKyDram
02-26-2013, 17:43
Lived in Tucker for a few years. Nice place to be! Welcome!

ramblinman
02-26-2013, 22:32
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I know I've seen quite a few folks on here that live in or around Atlanta. Anyone recommend a good whiskey bar close by to try some of the more hard to find things?

I know Mac Mcgees on the square in Decatur, and intent to spend a Saturday afternoon there with a friend of mine soon, but any other places worth checking out for interesting/quality stock?

DaveOfAtl
02-27-2013, 06:57
Welcome ramblinman (love the handle). You are right that Mac McGees has a great selection. Also try the Family Dog (Va Highlands/Morningside) and Local Three (Buckhead), which both have great selections and great food as well. And, you should also come to a Georgia Bourbon Society meeting at smokinjoe's place, which is easily the best selection you will ever see!

Richnimrod
02-27-2013, 10:50
Howdy Ramblinman.
My son lives in Georgia! He's in Marietta. I see he gave you a welcome (darryld911). I echo that; although I'm Brand-Damned New to these forums myself! I live in SE Michigan. I hope you find your way around these forums and have great fun with your Bourbons. I too, am not a big fan of 1792; I find it's too 'clean' for me. I like a little dirt and grime with my spirits. Many I've heard from like the sharpened taste of it; I do not; at least not as much as, say; Noah's Mill. Nice and dirty! Give it a try, if you can find it.

Tony
02-27-2013, 11:30
Howdy and welcome from another Michigan guy.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

ramblinman
02-27-2013, 13:26
Howdy Ramblinman.
My son lives in Georgia! He's in Marietta. I see he gave you a welcome (darryld911). I echo that; although I'm Brand-Damned New to these forums myself! I live in SE Michigan. I hope you find your way around these forums and have great fun with your Bourbons. I too, am not a big fan of 1792; I find it's too 'clean' for me. I like a little dirt and grime with my spirits. Many I've heard from like the sharpened taste of it; I do not; at least not as much as, say; Noah's Mill. Nice and dirty! Give it a try, if you can find it.

I think you hit the nail on the head with describing it as overly sharp. I haven't really had any good words to describe it, short of cheese grater on the tongue, but sharp seems spot on. I think I might have to get a small pour from that bottle tonight to make sure its matching up with what I'm remembering.

Takes me a year to get through a bottle of it, pouring for others and hoping they enjoy it more than I do. But it never fails that someone thinks its a great looking bottle and decides to give one for my birthday, or a host gift when we have a big party at our house. Can't complain though, even if they have bad taste they're still great friends :)

smokinjoe
02-27-2013, 15:59
Welcome aboard, RM! I hope you enjoy your time here. I wish I had read your intro earlier, as I was at Mac McGee's just last night with a few other SBer's. Well, I look forward to hearing you tell about your journey through Bourbonia, and meeting you in person, since you're in the area. You wouldn't be going to the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival at Atlantic Station on Saturday, would you?

Again, Welcome!

:toast:

ramblinman
02-27-2013, 19:50
Welcome aboard, RM! I hope you enjoy your time here. I wish I had read your intro earlier, as I was at Mac McGee's just last night with a few other SBer's. Well, I look forward to hearing you tell about your journey through Bourbonia, and meeting you in person, since you're in the area. You wouldn't be going to the Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival at Atlantic Station on Saturday, would you?

Again, Welcome!

I look forward to that as well, I've gotta hear more about this Georgia Bourbon Society :).

Sadly, not making the festival this weekend. I looked at doing it, but didn't work out with some other commitments. Also looked a bit expensive for what it was, is it worth it? I've been burned by festivals before with too many people and not enough food/drink.

wmpevans
02-27-2013, 20:27
Welcome to SB Ramblinman.

Plenty of GA folks on the sight, and look forward to meeting you at the next GBS event!!

jcg9779
02-27-2013, 20:34
Welcome to the site!

smokinjoe
02-27-2013, 20:37
I look forward to that as well, I've gotta hear more about this Georgia Bourbon Society :).

Sadly, not making the festival this weekend. I looked at doing it, but didn't work out with some other commitments. Also looked a bit expensive for what it was, is it worth it? I've been burned by festivals before with too many people and not enough food/drink.

Two important things to know about GBS. 1. Bourbon Supreme 2. We have a goat. :D

Edited to add: 3. And, a pyromaniacal member who can piss fire...:crazy:

I went to the BB&B lst year, and really had a great time. At the event, they said the response was so great, they were going to move it to a larger area within ATL STA for 2013. But, didn't have a problem getting food or drink. Will see this year, though. Am doing the VIP again this year. Last year it was well worth it. I'm hoping the event is still good, but it looks like the weather is going to be cold. But, the whiskey will take care of that, hopefully! :lol:

ChainWhip
02-27-2013, 22:54
welcome to SB - you're in good company here

ramblinman
03-03-2013, 21:49
Two important things to know about GBS. 1. Bourbon Supreme 2. We have a goat. :D

Edited to add: 3. And, a pyromaniacal member who can piss fire...:crazy:

I went to the BB&B lst year, and really had a great time. At the event, they said the response was so great, they were going to move it to a larger area within ATL STA for 2013. But, didn't have a problem getting food or drink. Will see this year, though. Am doing the VIP again this year. Last year it was well worth it. I'm hoping the event is still good, but it looks like the weather is going to be cold. But, the whiskey will take care of that, hopefully! :lol:

Another goat? Is this like joining a fraternity again?

Seriously how was the BB&B festival, besides being frigid?

smokinjoe
03-03-2013, 22:15
Another goat? Is this like joining a fraternity again?

Seriously how was the BB&B festival, besides being frigid?

Sorta...:D But, we had to change over to the Bourbon Supreme for the GBS Hazing Ritual, because Jack (JCG9779) kept taking the goat home with him after each class initiation...;) When he said he had friends who wanted to join...well, we had to come up with Plan B...Otherwise, PETA would be calling...:D

Yeah brother, it was cold. But, that didn't seem to keep the people away. It was packed. And, the venue was expanded this year because of the overwhelming crowd, last year...Whiskey selection was good, though Beam was missing. This is surprising in that they had a big presence last year. Beer selection was OK, but I'll admit that I didn't hit much of it due to the low temps. Whiskies I hit: Blanton's, EWSB 2013, Four Roses Single Barrel & Small Batch, Old Forester Signature, Templeton Rye (actually enjoyed screwing with the guy who was well versed in the Potemkin Story. :lol:), HW Campfire & American Prairie(?), and a few others. Decent selection, I'll admit. BBQ was nice on such a cold day.

Biggest disappointment was the VIP Tent. Last year we hit Gold, as the VIP was truly exclusive, and not mobbed. Hit bottles of Pappy 23 hard, and had our fill of food. This year, it was the opposite. They obviously over-sold the VIP's, and had to allocate the number of people into the tent. The line was perpetually 200 people long, and didn't lessen until the whiskey and food inside was gone. When we got in, hardly anything to eat...and could only gaze longingly at the empty bottles of WT Tradition, Pappy 23, etc.... Oh, well, ya win some, ya lose some...