PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended

Bluffhunter
02-27-2013, 07:06
Looking from some advice/opinions on other bourbons that have the same type of flavor profile in the $50 and under range. Currently a few of my favorites are Russels Reserve 10 year, Buffalo Trace, Blantons, and Four Roses small batch and looking for some others that are similair to these in taste and flavor? I have already tried, Four Roses single barrel, Four Roses Yellow label, Elijah Craig, Makers 46, regular Makers, Knob Creek, Elmer T. Lee, Wild Turkey 101, Devils Cut, Jeffersons and Evan Willams single barrel 2002. Thanks for any recomendations before I spend my hard earned cash on a new bottle :grin:

ratcheer
02-27-2013, 07:29
It seems like you have already covered things pretty well. I would suggest Rock Hill Farms, but it may not be under $50, anymore.

Tim

squire
02-27-2013, 07:29
Try Old Grand Dad 114 proof, actually in your price range you could probably get two of them.

thiemb
02-27-2013, 07:52
I would second OGD114 and also suggest that you try Bowman Brothers Small Batch.

HighInTheMtns
02-27-2013, 08:08
Old Weller Antique and Weller 12, although not the same flavors as your favorites, you've really covered a pretty broad range and those are the most notable exceptions I see.

Brisko
02-27-2013, 08:18
You might like Eagle Rare. Not really my cup of tea but it could run in the group you've listed, it shares some things in common with them.

For something a little different I'd recommend Baker's. It's one of the best of Beam's line-up an perhaps the least "Beamy" of the bunch.

kgraber
02-27-2013, 08:48
I would recommend Bulleit. I've been really enjoying it lately.

higgins
02-27-2013, 09:10
Good variety and excellent suggestions so far. I would recommend trying something by Brown-Forman to get a taste of another distillery. My favorite readily available bottle is Old Forester Signature.

squire
02-27-2013, 10:13
Old Forester Signature is a good choice as well, there's a lot of heritage in that brand.

Bluffhunter
02-27-2013, 12:07
Thanks for the great responses. To maybe narrow things down some which bourbon would be the closest comparable to Russells Reserve 10 year old? I did leave out i have tried Woodford Reserve and wasnt that fond of it. Thanks.

HighInTheMtns
02-27-2013, 12:09
Thanks for the great responses. To maybe narrow things down some which bourbon would be the closest comparable to Russells Reserve 10 year old? I did leave out i have tried Woodford Reserve and wasnt that fond of it. Thanks.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed would be a logical place to go from RR10. Also, beware... The fate of those bottles is in jeopardy.

Bluffhunter
02-28-2013, 07:10
I noticed at my local grocery store they pulled RR10 off the shelves, are they not selling/making it anymore?

HighInTheMtns
02-28-2013, 08:27
I noticed at my local grocery store they pulled RR10 off the shelves, are they not selling/making it anymore?
Perhaps...
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18577 and a few other threads around can give you some more information.

I don't know that anyone has heard for sure that RR10 is going away but the new, more expensive RRSB has shown up on shelves already and most folks who have tried it don't love it.

Same goes for WT Rare Breed - it's about to be changed although I don't think anyone has encountered a new bottle yet. RB is my pick from the WT line (if you didn't know this, RR is a Wild Turkey brand - doesn't say WT anywhere on its packaging though.)