PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Balcones Distillery

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 09:41
Gentleman (and ladies),

A big hello to you all from Balcones. My name is Winston Edwards and I'm the brand ambassador to the distillery. As you can imagine, I'm a whiskey geek and I look forward to participating in discussions about whiskey of all types, especially my favorites: bourbon and rye.

I live in Dallas but my job takes me all over the country so I'm sure I'll be meeting quite a few of you along the way, sharing great pours as we go. (STILL trying to score a taste of VVOF ;))

I'll do my best to not shamelessly self-promote, but I invite anyone and everyone to query me regarding any topics about the distillery, our products, or whiskey in general.

If there are any Twitter users on here, feel free to follow me @BalconesWinston

Aside from whiskey I also enjoy cigars, craft beer, coffee, BBQ and an array of other subjects that I'm sure plenty of you also dabble in.

What's my favorite bourbon? Four Roses Single Barrel, of course :)

Cheers!

Brisko
02-27-2013, 10:25
Welcome back!

Any plans to expand distribution to Minnesota?

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 10:34
Yes! Unfortunately the expansion of our distribution is limited by our production capacity. At this point, the distillery is literally producing to it's limits. We just recently received 5 new fermenters and Chip will be building two more stills which are double the size of the current ones (~500gal from ~250gal). These upgrades will, theoretically, boost our production to double what we make now.

We will also eventually expand into a brand new facility in the coming years to bring production up to approximately the volume of The Balvenie, for instance. However, once construction and renovation begins, it will be at least two years until we bear the fruits of our labors.

Until then, we'll continue to focus on making as much as we can given our size, and only releasing it when it's ready. We're currently in about 25 states (with a few more in the works) and we have enough trouble filling those orders as it is, but one day we'd like to supply the entire world.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 10:35
I don't think it's fair that my user title describes me as a novice. Surely I didn't get this job by being a whiskey noob :grin:

MyOldKyDram
02-27-2013, 12:00
Welcome, noob. :P

I've only ever had your Texas Single Malt, but am a big fan of that and looking forward to trying more of your offerings. Enjoy your stay.

Trey Manthey
02-27-2013, 13:43
Welcome Winston!

I just your whiskey on the shelf in NOLA this afternoon for the first time. I look forward to trying it out.

Yeti
02-27-2013, 13:54
Welcome Winston. I'm a huge fan of Balcones Single Malt and can't wait to see what kind of malt surprises you guys roll out in the coming years.

Clavius
02-27-2013, 13:54
Welcome!

I have a bottle of your Texas Single Malt, which I like very much. Have also tried your Baby Blue and found it to be something different. Like it as well. Hope to one day try the Brimstone as it sounds awesome.

FlounderinDC
02-27-2013, 14:13
Welcome. I was just on your website yesterday looking at it. Great information and design.
I'm gonna call a buddy in Dallas and see if he is interested in heading down to see you all.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 14:15
Welcome. I was just on your website yesterday looking at it. Great information and design.
I'm gonna call a buddy in Dallas and see if he is interested in heading down to see you all.
Excellent! Please do make an appointment so we can make sure to set aside time for you. Chip likes to do all the tours personally himself (sometimes I run the tasting room) 254-755-6003

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 14:17
Oh, I should mention, we only do tours M-F between 10am-4pm. I also need to warn you that Chip will be in the UK most of March so you'll want to make your way soon if possible

smknjoe
02-27-2013, 14:42
Welcome Winston. Do you make any bourbon? If not, do you plan to?

wadewood
02-27-2013, 14:52
Welcome Winston. Do you make any bourbon? If not, do you plan to?

I'll answer for Winston before he goes on some rant about how technically their corn whiskey could be called bourbon:rolleyes:

The answer is not yet.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 14:57
I guess I can spill the beans here. We have a bourbon coming out for our fifth anniversary series.

It's a single barrel, cask strength (~64%), 100% blue corn Texas straight bourbon. The distillate was filled into a new charred 60-gallon cask over 2 years ago.

I do consider myself a connoisseur of bourbons, and in my sincere opinion, it's fan-freaking-tasting. Timd and a few others can back me up on this.

This is largely just a one-off release and will be limited to about 150 bottles world wide, as we only made 1 barrel, same as the other 5A releases.

In the long run, we may make bourbon more regularly, but that's likely not until after we build our new distillery up the street.

I think the majority of it will be released in Texas with a small allocation going to NY, CA and the UK.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 14:59
I'll answer for Winston before he goes on some rant about how technically their corn whiskey could be called bourbon:rolleyes:

The answer is no.
:D oops, I didn't see this

smknjoe
02-27-2013, 15:00
I didn't see any on their site but that doesn't mean they aren't planning on it. Especially, since they seem to have everything ready to go. Thanks Wade!

smknjoe
02-27-2013, 15:03
I guess I can spill the beans here. We have a bourbon coming out for our fifth anniversary series.

It's a single barrel, cask strength (~64%), 100% blue corn Texas straight bourbon. The distillate was filled into a new charred 60-gallon cask over 2 years ago.

I do consider myself a connoisseur of bourbons, and in my sincere opinion, it's fan-freaking-tasting. Timd and a few others can back me up on this.

This is largely just a one-off release and will be limited to about 150 bottles world wide, as we only made 1 barrel, same as the other 5A releases.

In the long run, we may make bourbon more regularly, but that's likely not until after we build our new distillery up the street.

I think the majority of it will be released in Texas with a small allocation going to NY, CA and the UK.

I didn't see any on their site but that doesn't mean they aren't planning on it. Especially, since they seem to have everything ready to go. Thanks Wade!

$hit! See, now I'm glad I asked. Sounds good. Since I'm not much of a scotch drinker I'll be looking forward to this one.

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 15:08
$hit! See, now I'm glad I asked. Sounds good. Since I'm not much of a scotch drinker I'll be looking forward to this one.
I take it this is in reference to our single malt? It's not a scotchy tasting malt, sweeter and milder with more barrel character than most Scottish malts.

Come to Spec's downtown next Tuesday, I'll be there tasting the Balcones range and I might have some of the bourbon too.

smknjoe
02-27-2013, 15:47
I take it this is in reference to our single malt? It's not a scotchy tasting malt, sweeter and milder with more barrel character than most Scottish malts.

Come to Spec's downtown next Tuesday, I'll be there tasting the Balcones range and I might have some of the bourbon too.

Thanks. I'll see if I can swing by...I'm sure there's something I need to buy...hmm...

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 15:57
Thanks. I'll see if I can swing by...I'm sure there's something I need to buy...hmm...
Well, it's a Texas whiskey feature, so at the very least you can try the best (and worst) of Texas whiskey!

hectic1
02-27-2013, 18:26
I wanna try some Winnie "bourbon" Whiskey...where can I get some of this nectar? ;)

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 18:33
I wanna try some Winnie "bourbon" Whiskey...where can I get some of this nectar? ;)
Just wait until tomorrow, duh

hectic1
02-27-2013, 18:35
How about some Rumble Cask Reserve...:D

PS...I had Pei Wei again for lunch today...Kung Pau two straight meals...not quite the same without you and Tim but I did make sure we sat at our table! ;)

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 18:42
How about some Rumble Cask Reserve...:D

PS...I had Pei Wei again for lunch today...Kung Pau two straight meals...not quite the same without you and Tim but I did make sure we sat at our table! ;)
Ok ok that too :)

MacinJosh
02-27-2013, 18:44

Me too! Me too! ;)

hectic1
02-27-2013, 18:50
Ok ok that too :) Cool...see you tomorrow night. Talk to Chip about our trade...;)

Balcones Winston
02-27-2013, 19:14
Me too! Me too! ;)
You won't like it, remember? You're my polar opposite!

ChainWhip
02-27-2013, 19:25
Welcome to SB Winston!

Looking forward to your contributions here & thanks for your feedback on the St. George!

MacinJosh
02-27-2013, 20:04
You won't like it, remember? You're my polar opposite!

Cosign!

But I still enjoy searching for that elusive bourbon that you and I both love. ;)

weller_tex
02-28-2013, 10:00
Welcome Winston, from a fellow Texan. I have been thinking about trying a Balcones whiskey for quite some time, but it's hard to spend the bucks when there are so many great bourbons and ryes at 1/2 the price. I admire what you guys are doing though. Same with Garrison Bros. I admire what they are doing but just can't shell out $75 for a 3 year old bourbon.

Skus review of Balcones Brimstone sure does sound interesting, though, really sounds like nothing else on the market.

j1mmyj4m
02-28-2013, 11:48
Winston, what time range will you be at Spec's next Tuesday?

Balcones Winston
02-28-2013, 13:19
Welcome Winston, from a fellow Texan. I have been thinking about trying a Balcones whiskey for quite some time, but it's hard to spend the bucks when there are so many great bourbons and ryes at 1/2 the price. I admire what you guys are doing though. Same with Garrison Bros. I admire what they are doing but just can't shell out $75 for a 3 year old bourbon.

Skus review of Balcones Brimstone sure does sound interesting, though, really sounds like nothing else on the market.If you're in Houston, come to Spec's on Smith Street on Tuesday for the Texas Whiskey feature. I'll be pouring the entire range for you to try.

Balcones Winston
02-28-2013, 13:20
Winston, what time range will you be at Spec's next Tuesday?
5:30-8pm, then Katsuya after for cocktails

j1mmyj4m
02-28-2013, 13:27
Thanks. My wife and I are talking about making an appearance.

Balcones Winston
02-28-2013, 13:36
Great! Make sure you introduce yourself.

j1mmyj4m
03-05-2013, 12:57
It looks like the wife won't make it, but I plan to try and be there.

Is anyone else on the board coming?

- Brock

j1mmyj4m
03-06-2013, 08:02
Winston and Wade, it was nice to meet you both. I was looking for Wade before I left, but I wanted to say thanks for the advice and history lesson. I learned a lot.

That single malt was pretty tasty.

MacinJosh
03-07-2013, 21:07
Skus review of Balcones Brimstone sure does sound interesting, though, really sounds like nothing else on the market.

I can assure you this is indeed the case. It's a love it or hate it whiskey from my experience around others....very polarizing. But regardless of which side you fall on, one thing is for sure.....you've never had anything else like it.

LostBottle
03-08-2013, 11:20
Winston, I tried the Balcones Rumble Cask Reserve last night, courtesy of Ryan. I enjoyed it and thought it was unique enough that I might buy a bottle if I could find it.

weller_tex
03-08-2013, 13:00
Sorry I could not make it as I was out of town. I read where the single malt won an award in a blind tasting against some Scotch single malts..pretty cool.