PDA

View Full Version : Today's bunkerable bourbon

Meruck
03-02-2013, 19:25
Like many of you I spend an increasingly larger and larger amount of time seeking dustys. Those gems of yesteryear that we wish we would have bought all in sight during our youth.
with the current explosion in bourbon popularity, what will be tomorrow's dustys from today.

Will we all regret not loading up on Weller 12 before the age statement fell off, or will it be something else, and what?

what is tomorrow's DSP-16-KY

ErichPryde
03-02-2013, 20:20
Bourbon Reader's Digest, May 18th, 2018

A New Item on the PLCB List: Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve Bourbon

The Sazerac company's ownership of Tom Moore/Barton has brought their distribution to an all time high recently, as brands like Very old Barton, 1792, and the new and improved Tom Moore Bourbon hit shelves in nearly every retail liquor store in the US and some places overseas. But not everyone is happy with the greater availability of these whiskeys and the new flagship bourbon, Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve Bourbon. Bourbon Reader's Digest has taken this interview to the increasingly whiskey-educated public to find out what people think of their new whiskey options.

"First they axed Barton bottled-in-bond, one of my favorites, then they took the age statement off of 1792 so they could make this new, Ultra Premium Bourbon," Complains a bourbon drinker who would only tell us he goes by Squire. "I mean, not that the quality of 1792 kept up with the increased demand. To some of us, that was like the Wild Turkey 8 year of the 2000's, but I guess I was never that picky, and it's too late now" he went on to say.

Other people had very positive reviews of Tom Moore Small Batch Reserve, one noteable bourbon reviewer published an amazing review in another widely known whiskey journal (albeit, one that used to cover more Scotches than bourbons! Readers, stick with us, We cover bourbon, rye, and all things American here!). The reviewer described his taste of Batch #1 as "Well rounded, with a sweet foundation (toffee, vanilla, custard) and pleasant nuts (pecans and walnuts) that blend well with the underlying fruits (plums and figs)... One of the best Barton whiskies I have ever tasted, much better than Ridgemont Reserve (and it's predecessor Ridgewood, too!)" That reviewer rated this whiskey at a solid 95.

He's not the only one raving about the new Tom Moore. "It's the best thing that [Sazerac] has released in the last 6 years, I like it a lot better than the so-called "Stagg Jr" they released in 2015," posted one enthusiast in response to our latest web article. Another said the only thing holding him back from 'bunkering' the stuff in large amounts was the price. "It fits right into the ultra-premium crowd with [Russel's Reserve Single Barrel] at 65 dollars a bottle. Good, but I won't be buying it regularly."

But what is to become of Barton's previous 'flagship,' 1792 Ridgemont Reserve? As the bourbon reviewer here at Bourbon Reader's Digest, I feel sorrow that 1792 has gone the way of so many other bourbons out there, losing its age statement and a drop in quality with every batch. But that's the great thing about bourbon today- So many new brands out there!

But what do I think of this new Barton Whiskey? That will have to wait for our next live webisode! Until next time readers, Cheers!

All characters in this work of fiction are purely fictional and any commonalities found within to real people known or unknown, are sheer coincidence, no matter how unlikely the circumstances.

clingman71
03-02-2013, 20:20
I think you're on the mark with Weller 12. Possibly some age stated cheaper bottles like AAA. I've been trying to build a stash of retailer selected SB OWAs, the last few have been 8ish y/o.

HighInTheMtns
03-02-2013, 20:32
Very nicely done Erik!

ramblinman
03-02-2013, 21:12
I'm very new to the intricacies of bourbon marketing but would it make much sense for Weller to remove the age statement from the 12? Seems that as its the top of that particular line it'd keep the age and a little "clout" behind that one.

ErichPryde
03-02-2013, 21:21
I'm very new to the intricacies of bourbon marketing but would it make much sense for Weller to remove the age statement from the 12? Seems that as its the top of that particular line it'd keep the age and a little "clout" behind that one.

Probably not! But then, Sazerac & Company love to pull them age statements!

jcg9779
03-02-2013, 22:29

I hope not, but you've seen it happen before. "WT 8yr" became "WT Old No. 8." "Weller 12" could become "Weller Old No. 12" somewhere down the line. But again, I hope not.

darylld911
03-03-2013, 04:47
I hope not, but you've seen it happen before. "WT 8yr" became "WT Old No. 8." "Weller 12" could become "Weller Old No. 12" somewhere down the line. But again, I hope not.

With temperatures rising and aged stocks depleting, I think we'll see more and more age statements disappearing - in part because at that age the product just wouldn't be consistent with the past flavor profiles. A 12 yr may start to taste older, so they may need some younger juice just to bring it in line with taste expectations.

I do think Weller 12, maybe EC 12, will be highly sought out after they are changed. It is already nearly impossible to find any Bourbon Supreme these days!

squire
03-03-2013, 05:37
Erik I wouldn't trust a guy who refuses to give out his last name.

Trey Manthey
03-03-2013, 06:25
I'd venture that this is probably the worst time to be "buying in" to whiskey as a long term hobby. There is a bit of a crisis right now with age statements dropping and stocks depleting, but producers are reacting by increasing their volume and putting away more product to age. Even PVW has announced that they will be making more.

I believe that whiskey as a worldwide trend is peaking now, so I only buy what I need unless it's something I know I will never see again. It will be a long time (maybe never) before we enter into another glut period, but I'm not going to panic buy and hoard standard products in reaction to the popularity increase.

HP12
03-03-2013, 06:38
I'd venture that this is probably the worst time to be "buying in" to whiskey as a long term hobby. There is a bit of a crisis right now with age statements dropping and stocks depleting, but producers are reacting by increasing their volume and putting away more product to age. Even PVW has announced that they will be making more.

I believe that whiskey as a worldwide trend is peaking now, so I only buy what I need unless it's something I know I will never see again. It will be a long time (maybe never) before we enter into another glut period, but I'm not going to panic buy and hoard standard products in reaction to the popularity increase.

I would say this is a fair and rational assessment. Well stated.

squire
03-03-2013, 06:50
I will stock up on 8 year old Barton Rye, when they start making it.

Meruck
03-03-2013, 08:48
I would agree that it doesnt seem prudent to try to courner the market on Beam or Makers (86 of couse), but if I find some I particullarly enjoy I would certainly want to have a few additional bottles of it. If I find a truley unique and pleasing single barrel I may chose to spend my allowance on that. But every now and then something very special comes along and when that happens bunkering may be required. As a new member SB; although I just made apprentice, I cant imagine a better place to learn if there is something "very special" out there that warrents consideration. And thanks to this thread I have to go out and hunt down a bottle of Tom Moore Small Batch Special Reserve, just to see.

ErichPryde
03-03-2013, 08:48
That would be amazing juice--- 8 year old barton rye, that is. I'd be it sight untasted.

ErichPryde
03-03-2013, 09:01
But seriously- my satirical post from earlier aside, I think there is a strong case for 1792 and other, similar, age stated whiskeys.

Wild Turkey 8 year was a standard release years ago. It was more expensive than some bourbons, but it wasn't an ultra-premium. In 1986, almost no one expected it to go away. Very few people were stockpiling huge cases of it. People were focusing on the premiums, buying Wild Turkey 12 year, Very old Fitz, whatever there was out there (and I know there wasn't a lot). People were drinking Wild Turkey 8 year, but it wasn't rare, or mysterious, or sought after. It was just darn good bourbon.

As Wild Turkey increased distribution and new labels with Rare Breed, and then Kentucky Spirit, the quality of the 8 year went downhill, and the age statement disappeared. All of a sudden, the old 8 year wasn't just "any bourbon," it was the bourbon that so many people had to have.

We could make the same case for Weller 12, but Wheaters have come into the spotlight as desirable bourbons to drink. Perhaps the age statement will go away, I don't know. as distribution increases, and Buffalo Trace increases other labels (like the VW brand) why not?

It comes down to money. If I can axe one brand, or better yet, reduce its quality without effecting sales, in order to come out with another, higher-priced brand, I will. So perhaps Weller 12 will be added to the list. Perhaps the quality of the current Four Roses Single Barrel will go downhill.

I'm not concerned with ultra premium, limited release stuff. Why? Because it's bunkerable from the moment it hits shelves. Everyone knows that FRLESmB is going to be gone quick. We all want it, because of that.

How many age stated, above 90 proof whiskeys are out there? 1792 is a great whiskey for 22 bucks, and is currently just any other ol' release. But perhaps, as Sazerac increases distribution, it will become a highly prized dusty if it bears the red 8 on the back label.

squire
03-03-2013, 10:12
Sazarac renamed the distillery 1792 so they have some sort of plans for the brand.

smokinjoe
03-03-2013, 10:31
I could pretty much go on with anything going away, or changing. Wouldn't necessarily make me happy, but I could survive. Plenty of great whiskies out there that I can sub in...Except for one...There is my Golden Child...OGD 114...If they ever look to do something with OGD 114, Katy bar the door, I'm loading up. I will pillage every store, in every county, of every state, to guarantee myself a life-long supply. :D

In all seriousness though, I have been thinking of beginning a regular bunkering program for it, as it's continuation in it's present form seems tenuous to me. By offering 114 with all of it's positives, I know Beam loves us today, but will they still love us tomorrow? ;)

ethangsmith
03-03-2013, 11:43
My guesses:
Wild Turkey 101 Rye (I already stocked up....)
1792 (At least loss of age statement)
Old Grand Dad 114 (Beam seems to have little interest in probably their best products...)
Fighting Cock (Bet it loses its age statement....)
Old Overholt (Beam just went from 4 to 3 years old, I could see them dumping it completely)
Old Ezra 101 and Ezra Brooks Single Barrel (Like Heaven Hill has tons of whiskey to fork over for this stuff all the time....)
Michter's Unblended American Whiskey (I have a hunch it will be replaced by the newer and better Sour Mash 86pf)
Knob Creek (I could see it losing the age statement)

Meruck
03-03-2013, 11:52
Thanks Ethan, that's a great list and some I have not tried. I will make the Old Grandad 114 my next buy since your the second to name it. I was lucky enough to score 2 bottles from the late 60s recently. I haven't opened them yet as one will go to my brother and we will drink together, Long distance anyway.

SFS
03-03-2013, 11:53
Did two threads get combined at post #15? The headers changed.

Meruck
03-03-2013, 12:53
I think there was a use of the advanced reply function. Thanks for paying attention.

MauiSon
03-04-2013, 23:36

I couldn't disagree more. When China encouraged their masses to start buying gold, the prices shot up. It won't be long before they start encouraging 'em to buy liquid gold, i.e., bourbon. So Ima buying all I can before it shoots up in price as everyone else realizes it ain't gettin' any cheaper.

I saw a number of standards go up almost 10% this year over last and I just despise paying more today for what I could buy cheaper yesterday. I buy electronics only as I need 'em because they do get cheaper and better all the time, but bourbon? No such luck. Stock up! A bottle of good bourbon is better than a bunch of dead president photos and harder to mass produce.

Trey Manthey
03-05-2013, 00:26
Bourbon ain't gold. For one, we're not really limited by how much can be produced; they can always make more whiskey. Also, gold is a universal commodity, whereas bourbon is a consumable good. Not reusable, and totally renewable. However, unlike other trendy collectible panic buys and hoarding patterns that happened with baseball cards, comic books, Beanie Babies, etc., you can always drink your bourbon.

I just believe that there will always be good, cheap whiskey as long as people keep buying it. Brands may come and go, trends will rise and fall, and i'm not going to spend my money and shelf space trying to predict which mid-shelfer is going the way of the dodo. If Buffalo Trace and Rittenhouse shoot up to $40 a bottle in the next few years I will eat my words, and wash it down my dwindling supply.

Meruck
03-05-2013, 06:45
The point to bunkering, at least for me is to have a supply of something I really enjoy in the event it goes the way of the dodo. It's not the price or the brand, it's having what I like to drink.

Trey Manthey
03-05-2013, 07:22
I get it, but unless there is some reliable indication something is going away...

Some noob will read something here about Weller 12 going away, think it's true or reliable info, and clean out the shelves at three stores. An old timer comes in to pick up a bottle of his favorite and panics when he sees the empty shelf and sends him on the hunt. This cycle will create panic buying and create an artificial demand. It doesn't really matter unless the producer drops quality or raises price to keep up, creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

I see the same thing happening with firearms and ammo right now.

Restaurant man
03-05-2013, 07:57
The point to bunkering, at least for me is to have a supply of something I really enjoy in the event it goes the way of the dodo. It's not the price or the brand, it's having what I like to drink.

I'm with you. this is the only point of bunkering for me. The goal for me is to have as much variety as possible. I'm also learning that like with wine, if i only hang buy and hang on to the really good bottles, thats all there is to open. i need to keep better stock of the everday-ers

White Dog
03-05-2013, 09:07
I don't think stocking up on Weller 12 is a panic move. Just look at the age statements on WellerSR and Antique. Oh wait...

Weller 12 is an obvious choice. When I saw the mention of Fighting Cock, it made me think that EC12 could be in danger. That could easily become EC Old#12.

And yeah, OGD114 is just too damn good for Beam to continue production. If they're gonna give us that much proof, they want us spending at least $40.

I grab Old Ezra 101 7yr whenever i see it. Same with ETL.

squire
03-05-2013, 09:30
Speaking as an old timer I've seen a number of brands change or disappear. If I walk into a store and my favorite is discontinued I'll just buy something else. I expect we will see increased costs and that alone is sufficient reason to stock up, but there will always be something available at a decent price.

jeffrey r
03-05-2013, 10:09
I don't think stocking up on Weller 12 is a panic move. Just look at the age statements on WellerSR and Antique. Oh wait...

Weller 12 is an obvious choice. When I saw the mention of Fighting Cock, it made me think that EC12 could be in danger. That could easily become EC Old#12.

And yeah, OGD114 is just too damn good for Beam to continue production. If they're gonna give us that much proof, they want us spending at least $40.

I grab Old Ezra 101 7yr whenever i see it. Same with ETL.

Agreed that stocking up on Weller 12 is an obvious choice. Due to its scarcity around me, and its possibility of losing an age statement, or becoming even more scarce, I am happy to have the multiple bottles of it that I have. And at its price point, it's not that much of a financial burden to stock up.

I always have backups of OGD 114 and ETL around, but I can't justify stockpiling those unless I hear anything concrete. The only other bottles that I have more than a couple of bottles of are Vintage 17 wheater (which has gone the way of the dodo), and FR1B when I found gift sets with 2 rocks glasses at $29.99 (and confirmed that the barrel in these bottlings was delicious).

Bunkering can be a daunting and expensive proposition, so I try to be [at least relatively] smart about it...

squire
03-05-2013, 11:04
The only problem I've ever had with bunkering is those cases take up a lot of room

RT Fan
03-05-2013, 12:57
The only problem I've ever had with bunkering is those cases take up a lot of room

Sounds like you have more of a consumption problem than a logistics problem there, Squire!

squire
03-05-2013, 13:00
I only have two hands to drink with.

Meruck
03-05-2013, 15:04
You need one of those nifty cup holder hats with the straws.

WAINWRIGHT
03-05-2013, 16:19

I grab Old Ezra 101 7yr whenever i see it. Same with ETL.All great points and I can see with rumor of increase in VW production the W12 losing out for sure,which is truly sad.OGD114 probably the best buy out there,too much product for too little? I could also see that as well,I am glad I have plenty of both tucked away for a rainy day.

Meruck
03-05-2013, 16:46
There seems to be a consensus that OGD 114 is a drink worth drinking. We don't get it here so I will put it on my "request" list from my Missouri connection.

Has anyone had any experience with Weller centennial? I have spent some time trying to find it G doesn't even have it (G has everything). Word on the street is it went away and stocks were dedicated to WLW BTAC. That's not factual, it maybe but I only know it as a rumor.

smknjoe
03-05-2013, 18:04
OGD 114 is a solid pour at a solid price for $20.99 around here (thanks Squire!) I pick it up along with ETL almost everytime I see it.

I've never had Centennial, but would love to get a bottle myself. It's quite a favorite around here.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14373-BOTM-8-10-Weller-Centennial
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?9029-The-end-of-Weller-Centennial
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?10943-Weller-Centennial-Dusty-Find-And-Some-Questions

Meruck
03-05-2013, 18:17
Thanks Joe, I'm on the trail. And congrats again.

smknjoe
03-05-2013, 18:23
Wrong Joe. I'm Smknjoe. The "learned one" is Smokinjoe with an i in the name. I'm just a lowly newb who aspires to be a real Joe some day...

SFS
03-05-2013, 18:25
The "learned one" also has an "o" in his handle.

squire
03-05-2013, 18:27
My experience with the Centennial was the old ND version, is the BT still available?

smknjoe
03-05-2013, 18:36

I spelled it but didn't say it. The dangers of drinking and typing. I'm surprised any of us can form coherent sentences.

My experience with the Centennial was the old ND version, is the BT still available?

I don't think so SquIre.

MarkRuck
03-05-2013, 19:02
I don't think so Squre.[/QUOTE]

Very nice. I agree, spelling and putting together sentences can become more difficult as the evening progresses

MarkRuck
03-05-2013, 19:03
hmmm.......need to figure the 'reply with quote' function

smknjoe
03-05-2013, 19:04
...see. I didn't even notice that one! Fixed.

MyOldKyDram
03-05-2013, 19:06
Kinda.

Padpadpadpad

smknjoe
03-05-2013, 19:09
hmmm.......need to figure the 'reply with quote' function

Just type below or after (or before) the "[/QUOTE]" You're missing the first [QUOTE=smknjoe] part.

devillighter
03-05-2013, 20:12
Bourbon ain't gold. For one, we're not really limited by how much can be produced; they can always make more whiskey. Also, gold is a universal commodity, whereas bourbon is a consumable good. Not reusable, and totally renewable. However, unlike other trendy collectible panic buys and hoarding patterns that happened with baseball cards, comic books, Beanie Babies, etc., you can always drink your bourbon.

I just believe that there will always be good, cheap whiskey as long as people keep buying it. Brands may come and go, trends will rise and fall, and i'm not going to spend my money and shelf space trying to predict which mid-shelfer is going the way of the dodo. If Buffalo Trace and Rittenhouse shoot up to $40 a bottle in the next few years I will eat my words, and wash it down my dwindling supply.

I agree for the most part with this logic and try to follow it, but whiskirexia nervosa is a crippling disorder! The only time I really try to stock up on booze is if a product I enjoy has already increased in price significantly and I found a stash at a lower price in a dusty liquor store. For instance, I have stocked up considerably on Plymouth Gin after it jumped from low $20s to $30 when they rebranded the bottle and label. For the most part, I try to avoid bunkering vast quantities of daily drinkers. It may be that I will regret it in the future, but I have yet to find a bottling I couldn't live without (except maybe Stagg ;) ). For the most part I think people try to stock up on what is hard to find. Weller 12 fits the bill because of its limited distribution. Similar for AAA 10. I've felt the same with Sazerac 6, Rittenhouse, and BTAC - I'd rather spend the money now then have to go hunt for them when I get a hankering, which will happen at some point.

Of course, I wish I had a buddy who stockpiled some ER101, Weller Centennial, and DSPKY16 OF who'd let me come over raid their stash (or at least let me sample those that I have never had). At least Bourbon is cheaper than Scotch - I've read crazy things (or maybe not so crazy) of people wanting to stockpile Lagavulin 16 because of how much Diageo increased the price of Talisker 18.

For the most part I don't buy into these games. There will always be something else to satisfy my interests.

Meruck
03-05-2013, 20:23
So Squire! ND?...............

squire
03-06-2013, 04:45
I actually did lay in a supply of Eagle Rare 101 when when I read it here on SB that expression was to be discontinued. We took off for New Orleans that weekend and bought what could be found. Dusty hunting is a great excuse for a road trip.

Smithford
03-06-2013, 09:13
I would add Ritt BIB (DSP-KY354) to the list.

I know, I know. We have no idea what the DSP-KY1 rye will taste like, and there's every chance that it might be just as good or better. But I have persistent nagging doubts about that. Enough so that I'm slowly putting away a case or two of the 354. Whatever happens, the 354 rye will soon be gone forever, and many people will regret not stocking up.

squire
03-06-2013, 09:30
Good point Smithford, while I don't expect any real changes in Ritt Rye it will be interesting to compare the products from two different distillerys.

White Dog
03-06-2013, 10:33

I know, I know. We have no idea what the DSP-KY1 rye will taste like, and there's every chance that it might be just as good or better. But I have persistent nagging doubts about that. Enough so that I'm slowly putting away a case or two of the 354. Whatever happens, the 354 rye will soon be gone forever, and many people will regret not stocking up.

I totally forgot this one!:shocked: I've been stocking up on that myself. I expect to love the DSP-1 version, but it'll be fun to pull out a Ritt-354 years down the road just for kicks.

Meruck
03-06-2013, 14:48
Well I tried the 1792 today for the first time as a serious sample and I do enjoy it, thanks ErichPryde, but now I feel like I need to get out there and grab a bottle of the RIH 354 just in case.

troyce
03-06-2013, 17:30
Why even think about bunkering . I live close to SmokinJoe.

Meruck
03-06-2013, 20:23
So the EC 12 barrel proof was nominated for bunkering on another thread, and that brings to mind the eligibility of all the ECs for this, especially the EC 21.

what I really want to know more about is Vintage 17. I've heard it's rye and I've heard wheat. I've heard it's a combo of them and I've heard it started as rye and was last released as a wheat. Are any, all or none of these correct? Would it make the bunkerable list and if its gone away should it have been bunkered.

Restaurant man
03-06-2013, 20:25

Im also stocking up but bernie Lubbers did not agree that it was a "given" that the 354 rye would just switch over to dsp 1 after 4-6 years of production. I guess it's possible that they might have other plans for dsp 1 rye and keep Ritt profile the same. Either way I'm ok with wat I've got put down

squire
03-06-2013, 20:26
To me there is something incongruous about bunkering mystery whisky.

clingman71
03-06-2013, 20:28
My understanding is that vintage 17 was rye bourbon. The last bottling was wheated bourbon. I emailed Drew at KBD and he verified this, but not the distiller. My assumption with the timing and age was early Bernheim juice. It is very nice bourbon, but I haven't seen it in a few months. Other areas may still have stock though. There was something on here about the label and varying shades of green. I know mine is wheated as TPS has quick bottle turnover and wouldn't have had the rye by the time I bought mine.

Meruck
03-06-2013, 21:20
So, does that make the early Bernhiem bunkerable?

Squire, if you knew the origins would V17 make your list?

black mamba
03-06-2013, 21:25
The only thing close to bunkerable that I have is VWFRR13, which I finally opened after 2-1/2 years of sitting on it. Anybody want a taste, gimme a shout, cause it's goin' fast!

Meruck
03-06-2013, 21:31
Well Mr. Mamba, you still have time. Sounds like your getting a group together in your local. Maybe as a group you can form a preppers group for mass bunkering.

black mamba
03-06-2013, 21:41
Meruck, you ever see "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre?"

Group bunkering is a BEEG NO-NO!

Meruck
03-06-2013, 21:45
I keep mine under a rock.

White Dog
03-07-2013, 06:51
So, does that make the early Bernhiem bunkerable?

Squire, if you knew the origins would V17 make your list?

What's bunkerable to one person is not bunkerable to the next.

I really enjoyed the last release of Vintage 17, which was wheated Bernheim, and I bunkered some bottles. I happen to love a well-aged wheater, there aren't that many around, the label is now gone for good, I enjoyed it, I could afford it, so therefore it was bunkerable to me. As we all now, however, it may not be for everyone. Some don't care for wheaters. Some think it was priced too high. Some just didn't like the Whiskey.

It's only bunkerable if you want it.

Meruck
03-07-2013, 08:41
Well said White Dog,

As you put it its only bunkerable if you like it and I dont plan on bunkering for others. I am a big fan of the Wheaters for sure so I am interested in this one. I guess I need to look at the Burhiems as well, they may be more available as they actually produced the whisk(e)y.

Phil T
03-07-2013, 10:50
I grab Old Ezra 101 7yr whenever i see it.

I just finished another bottle of this last week Dog. From the first pour to the last pour, a very good bourbon. Never really thought about bunkering any, but you got me thinking. It has an age statement (7yr), it's over 100 proof (101), it's sourced whiskey, it's delicious, and it's only $14.40 in my county ( up from $13.85 last year), and it won't be around forever. A definite no brainer. I gotta go, I'm heading to the liquor store.

White Dog
03-07-2013, 13:10
Sorry, man. Not trying to cause a ruckus about Old Ezra.

Although based on breaking news, OGD 86pr has just seen sales spike.

Maybe this thread should be moved over to the secret "Premium" forum.

Meruck
03-07-2013, 18:49
Can you discribe the ruckus?

savagehenry
03-07-2013, 19:11
Can you discribe the ruckus?

Breakfast Club. Great quote.

I also have a couple V17 bunkered, in fact those are the only bottles in my lonely bunker aka hidden from the wife behind dinning table leaf in the closet.

mosugoji64
03-08-2013, 08:21
It's only bunkerable if you want it.

Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with bunkering some trade bait, either, but ONLY if you're absolutely positive you'll have takers. I made the mistake early on of picking up things I thought others would want and ended up drinking them myself. Thankfully, they were pretty good. :grin:

Quantum
03-08-2013, 14:49
Before I start throwing away all the canned goods in my pantry to make room for a case of Weller 12, how much did OWA change when it dropped the age statement? I'm fairly new to wheated bourbons, and I havent had a chance to do a side by side taste test.

smknjoe
03-08-2013, 15:43
Before I start throwing away all the canned goods in my pantry to make room for a case of Weller 12, how much did OWA change when it dropped the age statement? I'm fairly new to wheated bourbons, and I havent had a chance to do a side by side taste test.

Many think it got better. Most agree that it's a great pour either way. Do a search for the "OWA single/private barrel" thread that was started recently. If you like it that much just pick up a bottle here and there until you have a little stash. That's what I do with the stuff I like (just to make sure I don't run out.)

jburlowski
03-08-2013, 16:09
The new bottlings of OWA are now six years old (give or take a month or so). The taste? Too early to tell.

squire
03-08-2013, 16:41
I knew a guy who bunkered by the case . . . all the same brand.

Meruck
03-08-2013, 18:13
Bunkering is bunkering. Quantum I have grave concerns that you still have any canned goods vs bourbon. If the worst happens I am afraid you wont make it.

To the point of, is something better now or then or instead of is exactly what this entire site is about. What is the best to me may not be to you. (but your wrong)

Just tonight my brother and I conducted a long distance side by side of the VVOFs. We had a hard time declaring a clear winner and choose to extend final judgment to another day. After, we both poured a glass of the mid 70's bottlings of Rebel Yell. It was unanimous, "...fine bourbon".

I like potato, you like tomato. To each his own, but the real question is, what did I miss and what can I learn from you. ..................... Quite a bit I imagine.

Someone tell me about Vintage 23 Rye............................ Should I clear the last of the canned goods out to make room for it?

Meruck
03-09-2013, 09:42
Has anyone had the HH 12 year "Alchemist". Its got a great name but I know it was export only (I think). I would be interested to hear any information anyone may have.

squire
03-09-2013, 09:56
It was bottled in Scotland by the independent producer Murray-McDavid as part of their Alchemist line. HH 12 years old, 92 proof. No idea what it tastes like but sounds close to Elijah Craig.

tigerlam92
03-09-2013, 19:22

The learned one also have an "i" too. :)

Cheers
Hugh

Meruck
03-11-2013, 16:40
After trying to do a serious tasting of the Abraham Bowman Special Release 147.4 proof, Its bunker bound. Now I just have to find more.

c2walker
03-11-2013, 17:13
After trying to do a serious tasting of the Abraham Bowman Special Release 147.4 proof, Its bunker bound. Now I just have to find more.

If I had some still I would gladly send it your way. It's too hot, too astringent, and too woody for me. The 17 year old Abe Bowman's are, unfortunately, a HUGE step down from the older (distilled in 1993 rather 1994) bottles.

Meruck
03-11-2013, 17:25
c2walker,

Great, thanks a lot. Now I have a new additiona to my dusty hunting list.

I do find pouring and letting sit for a good 20-30 min changes it dramtically. its tammer and more enjoyable. But yes, Hot Hot Hot!!!!

hectic1
03-11-2013, 18:29
If I had some still I would gladly send it your way. It's too hot, too astringent, and too woody for me. The 17 year old Abe Bowman's are, unfortunately, a HUGE step down from the older (distilled in 1993 rather 1994) bottles.

I agree 100% with you Chris...glad I bunkered a couple of the Gift Shop bottles! :)

jcg9779
03-11-2013, 18:37
Bob also bunkers the HELL out of VOB BIB.

squire
03-12-2013, 06:53
Bunkering Barton makes eminently good sense.

unclebunk
03-12-2013, 06:59
Bob also bunkers the HELL out of VOB BIB.

I did too for a spell but have consumed all but one of them now. Guess I should cellar a few more soon while I still can.

Meruck
03-14-2013, 21:08
Guess I better get going on the Weller 12. Col. Chuck told everyone on his blog

Smokewagon
03-15-2013, 10:27
Guess I better get going on the Weller 12. Col. Chuck told everyone on his blog

Yeah, he's probably ruined it for the rest of us now....

portwood
03-15-2013, 11:34
It really grinds my gears when people talk about good bourbon on websites dedicated to good bourbon. :rolleyes:
I've had similar thoughts. :lol:

It's interesting how this site - more than any Scotch related blog/forum - has developed a naming code that goes a long way to discouraging web searches! How does the average hipster troll know what these are: OWA, VWFRR, OFBB, PVW15, PHC ... :cool:

ChainWhip
03-15-2013, 12:27
Perhaps we should petition to have the Acronym Secret Decoder placed in Members only section?

Meruck
03-15-2013, 13:01
I'm working on a "member only secret decoder ring",

If I can get it to work it will have a shot glass attached.

Yeti
03-15-2013, 13:08
"member only secret decoder ring"

Will that come as a complimentary accessory with the jacket?

SFS
03-15-2013, 13:11
I thought the jacket only came with the goat. You guys have me really confused now.

squire
03-15-2013, 19:02
Uhh, it's a goat skin jacket.

ThomasH
03-15-2013, 20:04
Basil Hayden's would be one. It no longer has an 8 year age statement!

Thomas

miller542
03-15-2013, 21:01
Basil Hayden's would be one. It no longer has an 8 year age statement!

Thomas

Speaking of which, anyone have a pic of the new label without the age statement?

hectic1
03-15-2013, 21:03
For me there are few on my radar but OGD114 is at the top of the list...amazing bourbon for the price.

jburlowski
03-16-2013, 05:30
Speaking of which, anyone have a pic of the new label without the age statement?

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12075001000082

ThomasH
03-16-2013, 19:37
Will get a pic of the new label next time I am at the store!

Thomas

miller542
03-19-2013, 14:13
Lucky me, I managed to snag the last age stated bottle of Basil Haydens on the shelf among all the other non-aged stated bottles. Thank you guys for keeping eyes out for this sort of thing.

MauiSon
03-19-2013, 14:18
You're so lucky, I can't even force my eyeballs to LOOK at the Basil Hayden's when I shop, nor can I explain why. Maybe my subconscious has identified the bottle presentation with the Penguin on the Batman television series and I always preferred the Joker and The Riddler.