PDA

View Full Version : "Family Size" bottles, and their built-in pourers

JPBoston
03-05-2013, 15:08
Do you keep them in, or rip 'em out? Seems odd to have my hand-crafted, barrel aged whiskey coming into contact with a cheap piece of plastic on its way to my glass...

Anyone else have any opinions on this? Any preferred pourers to get as a replacement?

smokinjoe
03-05-2013, 15:13
Pull out immediately upon taking off the cap.

jburlowski
03-05-2013, 15:16

And immediately replaces with a nipple... :lol:

squire
03-05-2013, 15:18
Remove, discard and think no more about it.

smokinjoe
03-05-2013, 15:20

The special kind that keeps me from burping and spitting up...:D

JPBoston
03-05-2013, 15:28

Remove, discard and think no more about it.

Okay, good... I was starting to wonder if I was taking my enthusiasm a bit too far by ripping those suckers out, since nobody ever really seems to talk about it. Must just be too obvious. :)

The special kind that keeps me from burping and spitting up...:D

LMAO

higgins
03-05-2013, 15:40
I generally find the family size bottles too large and unwieldy to have around for a daily pour. I feel that I have much better control over my pours using a 750ml bottle, so I generally pay the premium to buy two of those over one big bottle.

So, for the family size bottles that I do keep around it seems like I am in the minority for leaving the plastic pourer in. Perhaps I'm just particularly uncoordinated, or my whiskey-pouring form needs some work.

sailor22
03-05-2013, 15:58
I leave 'em in. The big bottles are so clumsy it helps to not over pour. Haven't noticed any difference in taste.

G-Rat
03-05-2013, 16:24
I keep em in too. Makes it easier to pour slowly with a giant bottle.

Rutherford
03-05-2013, 17:12
I keep them in to help with pouring. Plastic is inert, so it shouldn't affect taste.

squire
03-05-2013, 17:18
I don't pour out of those unwieldy bottles, that 1.75 Barton is heavy, clumsy and doesn't have a handle. So I decant to something smaller which also takes care of the control issue.

smokinjoe
03-05-2013, 17:59
I don't pour out of those unwieldy bottles, that 1.75 Barton is heavy, clumsy and doesn't have a handle. So I decant to something smaller which also takes care of the control issue.

Bingo! Sure we're not related, S? :D I don't buy the family size to pour daily from, either. I keep the empty 750's of the same whiskey, and decant from the FS into the babies. Then I put the biggies out in Auxiliary Bunker B-2a(3). Less splashing into the funnel without the plastic thingee. And, faster.

SMOWK
03-05-2013, 18:05
I leave 'em in. It's easier to pour. :bigeyes:

T Comp
03-05-2013, 18:36

Bingo! Sure we're not related, S? :D I don't buy the family size to pour daily from, either. I keep the empty 750's of the same whiskey, and decant from the FS into the babies. Then I put the biggies out in Auxiliary Bunker B-2a(3). Less splashing into the funnel without the plastic thingee. And, faster.

Decanter here too. I don't buy family size unless they're dusties of which I have a couple :grin:. Never took the pourer out either.

WAINWRIGHT
03-05-2013, 18:42
I can't stand the "family sized" bottles either and always replace them into 750's with a screw top and a cheesy label from my label printer.The integrated pour spout never bothers me as it is only used briefly then the bottle is disposed of entirely.

callmeox
03-05-2013, 19:41
I leave the pourers in as the creators intended.

bingstein
03-05-2013, 19:42
I take em out because I like the built-in excuse of saying it's the bottle's fault when the old lady gives me a dirty look upon seeing 3 fingers of booze in a glass. Damn unwieldy things.

White Dog
03-05-2013, 20:31

Hell, I love leaving handles of Barton, AAA10yr and BT strewn about. It seems to make house guests a bit uneasy.

Lazer
03-05-2013, 21:12
I don't buy the family size. My kids are too young to drink whiskey.

My five year old daughter once tried taking a gulp from my glass once... she was in tears. Then she was laughing.:cool:

qman22
03-05-2013, 21:14
I leave'em in because it hasn't occurred to me to take them out. I will assume I get some benefit from leaving them in and continue to be lazy

TheNovaMan
03-05-2013, 23:03
Less splashing into the funnel without the plastic thingee. And, faster. I take it you use a copper funnel?

Tucker
03-06-2013, 06:14
If I'm drinking from a handle I'll leave the pourer in. If the bottle's being used for some sort of alchemy (e.g. SB.com Blend ™) I'll take it out.

jcg9779
03-06-2013, 06:27
If I'm drinking from a handle I'll leave the pourer in. If the bottle's being used for some sort of alchemy (e.g. SB.com Blend ) I'll take it out.

I do the same thing.

Brisko
03-06-2013, 07:33

Decanter here too. I don't buy family size unless they're dusties of which I have a couple :grin:. Never took the pourer out either.

Same here. I either use a decanter or an empty 5th of the same juice. The bigger problem for me is storage space. I have room in the basement bar cabinet for FS but I still do most of my drinking upstairs, and most of my open bottles are up there. Decanting it saves me a trip or several.

I leave the pourer in because I've never felt the need to pry it out.

Tony
03-06-2013, 08:34
I sometimes wonder why I read some threads.

It would never occur to me to take the plastic thing out, I would never have had a thought that it could affect the taste.

As for the family size bottles, I love them. There is more whiskey and it is usually discounted over the price per pour of the 750. I wish everything could be gotten like this. I would love to see a 4RSmB family size, and some of the others like a WLW in a family size would be just awesome.

Best regards, Tony

squire
03-06-2013, 12:44
I buy family sized if I have a choice, well, not the Elijah Craig 1.75, that big mouth bugger will dribble whisky down both sides of your chin.