PDA

View Full Version : Hello SB Forum

Danger
03-15-2013, 12:27
Hi all. Iím from Chicago but living in Durham, NC.

I was never much of a drinker, even though my friends basically made a profession out of beer guzzling, until one fateful night I was served bourbon neat. Since then I've been drinking non-stop and trying to refine my palate and understand the spirit. These forums have been a go-to source for me for information and flavor discussion going on about 6 months now, and so I thought it was time to join officially.

Also, if anyone is interested I record tasting notes for the American whiskey I try and have been posting them online for about a year now: Danger Finds Bourbon (https://www.sites.google.com/site/dangerfindsbourbon/)

Thanks

SFS
03-15-2013, 13:19
Welcome, Danger. That's quite a web page. Are many of those bourbons available in NC, or did these notes precede your move from Chicago?

Danger
03-15-2013, 13:44
Welcome, Danger. That's quite a web page. Are many of those bourbons available in NC, or did these notes precede your move from Chicago?

Thanks, happy to be here. I’d say 2/3 of those are from when I was back in Chicago. Many from Delilah's (which I’ve seen referenced on this site), Blokes & Birds or straight from Binny’s. There are basically 20 bourbons you can buy by the bottle in NC from the state-run ABC stores. You need to get creative with the rest, i.e., friends passing through the state, getting things through the mail, or the few good whiskey bars. The spirit laws (and the public transportation) would be my only two complaints about living in Durham.

squire
03-15-2013, 14:34
Hey Danger, welcome aboard.

jtexaslonestar
03-15-2013, 17:03
Welcome, Danger! Look forward to seeing you around.

wadewood
03-15-2013, 17:34
Looking at your website, Bulliet Rye is LDI (or MGP) not 4 Roses. Rowan's Creek is NAS, unless you had a very old bottling - ditto on Noah's Mill as well. The Balcones Single malt is a whiskey, but it's not bourbon. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a straight product, which means it's at least 4 years old (since it has no age statement).

Danger
03-15-2013, 19:51
Hey Danger, welcome aboard.
Glad to be here.

Looking at your website, Bulliet Rye is LDI (or MGP) not 4 Roses. Rowan's Creek is NAS, unless you had a very old bottling - ditto on Noah's Mill as well. The Balcones Single malt is a whiskey, but it's not bourbon. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a straight product, which means it's at least 4 years old (since it has no age statement).

This is great info, thanks. Let me share my confusion.
Bulliet - I always thought that 4R produced this, so I just made an assumption on the rye. Am I wrong on both counts?
Rowan's & Noah's Mill - I plead ignorance, NAS=no age statement?
Balcones - There are a few non-bourbons up there, but as long as its bottled or distilled in the US I roll with it. I skip (well, I drink it but just don't post) things like glenlivet.
Bernheim - updated

Thanks so much for the help.

squire
03-16-2013, 06:04
Bulliet is a Diageo brand produced under contract with Four Roses. Diageo can of course obtain whisky made to specification from other sources but the flavor profile will remain the same. Bulliet Rye is purchased from MGPI (formerly LDI) at the present time.

Rowans Creek and Noah's Mill are bottled by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (KBD) using whisky they buy from other sources, Heaven Hill in the past but KBD does not disclose where they get the whisky for any of their brands.

wadewood
03-16-2013, 06:15
Rowan's & Noah's Mill - I plead ignorance, NAS=no age statement?

Yes, NAS means No Age Statement. Somewhere on here is a post with all the acronyms that we use. Both of these use to have age statements, but they where removed several years ago. When a producer removes an age statement, you can bet younger whiskey is now going into those brands.

Welcome aboard. Your website is interesting. I suggest analysing less and drinking more :lol:

T Comp
03-16-2013, 07:45
May I also suggest Danger that your blog, which I agree with Wade is interesting, include more info about who you are. You did it here on SB, so I paid attention to you as a newcomer. But with the rapid evolution of whiskey blogs (I'll leave it to you scientists to precisely measure their exponential growth :grin:), the more I know of the writer the less I may dismiss it as another vanity project.

Oh, I think your palate isn't quite calibrated correctly with Heaven Hill products either :bigeyes: :shocked: :lol:.

p_elliott
03-16-2013, 07:52
Welcome aboard come join us in chat some time. Lower left hand corner of page. Not to jump on the band wagon but FR does not make any rye whiskey.

justataste
03-16-2013, 13:30
Are you sure that Makers Mark is from Jim Beam? I hadn't heard that.

I like your web site though!

Danger
03-16-2013, 14:03
Bulliet is a Diageo brand produced under contract with Four Roses. Diageo can of course obtain whisky made to specification from other sources but the flavor profile will remain the same. Bulliet Rye is purchased from MGPI (formerly LDI) at the present time.
Got it Ė updated.

Yes, NAS means No Age Statement. Somewhere on here is a post with all the acronyms that we use.
Welcome aboard. Your website is interesting. I suggest analysing less and drinking more
Thanks, I did stumble across that page after doing a search, now Iím armed with jargon. Analyzing is free Ė drinking is the rate limiting factor :)

May I also suggest Danger that your blog, which I agree with Wade is interesting, include more info about who you are. You did it here on SB, so I paid attention to you as a newcomer. But with the rapid evolution of whiskey blogs (I'll leave it to you scientists to precisely measure their exponential growth ), the more I know of the writer the less I may dismiss it as another vanity project.
Good points. I had started the notes as a way to quickly check how much I (and my tasting group) liked a given bottle we saw when we were out at the bar. So it started as more of a reference and less of a blog. Iíll post a bit more about who I am and why you should bother to read anything I write. Though, I donít intend (and never could anyway) compete with any ďlegitimateĒ blogs like the Manifesto.

Oh, I think your palate isn't quite calibrated correctly with Heaven Hill products either .
Haha Ė give it timeÖ The Elijah12 and the Evan Williams Vintage are two pours that everyone is always ranting about but I could just never get into. I think thereís just something wrong with my tongue.

I like your web site though!
The only thing Iím sure of in this world is that I like my nightcaps; everything else is just speculation. But, Wikipedia has my back on this one for whatever thatís worth. Thanks for checking out the site.

Halifax
03-17-2013, 07:46
Welcome to SB! There are a few of us here that live in the Triangle. We get together for tastings, smoking cigars and just plain ole drinking. You are welcome to join us if ya like.

wadewood
03-17-2013, 11:17

I like your web site though! Beam purchased Makers Mark in 2005 (at the time Beam was part of Fortune Brands). However, they only make Makers at the Maker's distillery, not at the other Beam owned distilleries.

Danger
03-17-2013, 14:28
Welcome to SB! There are a few of us here that live in the Triangle. We get together for tastings, smoking cigars and just plain ole drinking. You are welcome to join us if ya like.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I would absolutely be interested in getting in on some of that (though I can't handle more than one cigar per night). Where do I sign?

Halifax
03-17-2013, 15:54
Thanks for the warm welcome. I would absolutely be interested in getting in on some of that (though I can't handle more than one cigar per night). Where do I sign?

PM me your email addy. I'll let you know when our next get together is.

Tony
03-17-2013, 16:19
Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony

p_elliott
03-17-2013, 16:31
Maker's Mark is part of Beam Global.

SoldWife4Pappy23
03-17-2013, 17:09
Hi all. Iím from Chicago but living in Durham, NC.

I was never much of a drinker, even though my friends basically made a profession out of beer guzzling, until one fateful night I was served bourbon neat. Since then I've been drinking non-stop and trying to refine my palate and understand the spirit. These forums have been a go-to source for me for information and flavor discussion going on about 6 months now, and so I thought it was time to join officially.

Also, if anyone is interested I record tasting notes for the American whiskey I try and have been posting them online for about a year now: Danger Finds Bourbon (https://www.sites.google.com/site/dangerfindsbourbon/)

Thanks

That's an impressive website! Saw that you're a research scientist, you work in RTP? I was up there Thursday for a seminar and go back and forth to Harris nuclear station pretty regularly.

HighHorse
03-17-2013, 17:59
Welcome, Danger. I agree that your website is impressive. For the life of me I am nuance challenged as I rarely .. almost never .. am able to pull out the "hints" of this and that from a given pour. I have no problem picking up on the dominant flavors and I know a well balanced taste as well as a pour lacking complexity & without balance. I purused some of your comments on many of my favorite pours and find them to be nicely stated expressions of what I get out of it as well. More often than not I can pick up on nuances once they are suggested.

I suspect my years of smoking many, many cigars has done some damage. I will look forward to your tasting notes for comparison.

Danger
03-18-2013, 07:15
That's an impressive website! Saw that you're a research scientist, you work in RTP? I was up there Thursday for a seminar and go back and forth to Harris nuclear station pretty regularly.
First of all, I actually lolíd when I read your name. Second, thanks for the compliment. Iíve been working at Duke for the past year, so I think that absolutely counts as the triangle. I have always wondered about this: are people fashion conscious of their radiation patches? Or do you just slap on whatever they have at the plant?

Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Glad to have you here.

Best regards, Tony
Thanks for the welcome. I lived in Michigan for some years actually. Iím a fan of Greektown in Detroit and Zingermanís in Ann Arbor.

Welcome, Danger. I agree that your website is impressive. For the life of me I am nuance challenged as I rarely .. almost never .. am able to pull out the "hints" of this and that from a given pour. I have no problem picking up on the dominant flavors and I know a well balanced taste as well as a pour lacking complexity & without balance. I purused some of your comments on many of my favorite pours and find them to be nicely stated expressions of what I get out of it as well. More often than not I can pick up on nuances once they are suggested.

I suspect my years of smoking many, many cigars has done some damage. I will look forward to your tasting notes for comparison.
Iím so glad you are finding my notes helpful or interesting, it makes me glad I posted them.
I will just come out and confess my process right now for how I do my notes, but I'm no master taster either. I spend some time smelling (especially smelling) and tasting, and actually write down my impressions at this point. I then read what other people have to say about the flavors and retaste. This helps me to refine what I actually think about the flavors either through agreeing or disagreeing with their comments. So, I use othersí opinions as well, but I donít think thereís anything wrong with that.