PDA

View Full Version : What is on your list of bad bourbon?

DBM
03-16-2013, 07:21
I know this is purely opinion, but I find it interesting that I don't see any comments on bourbon that is simply bad - poorly made, off putting flavors, undrinkable at any price - a bottle that will find the sink after an attempt to drink it.

Do any bourbons make this list for you? Is the bourbon industry so mature that bad bottlings don't often make it to market?

callmeox
03-16-2013, 07:47
You don't see many threads like that here because what one person may dislike, another may enjoy.

If you're looking for a guide on what to avoid, how will you know if you don't try some yourself? :)

Disliked bottlings will likely fall into these categories:

Too young (easy to list)
Finished whiskey that misses the mark (WR and BT have candidates here)
House styles that some dislike (BT grassiness, Beam yeast funk, metallic Woodford, HH mint)
Gimmicks (quick aged, etc)

An off bottle from any distillery is possible but not very common.

petrel800
03-16-2013, 07:54
I'll bite, I'm sure there are folks out there that enjoy the stuff, but at this point I steer completely clear of Woodford. Woodford anything . . . Standard, Double Oaked, Special Releases. No thanks, I've had too many completely disappointing experiences and there stuff isn't cheap.

DBM
03-16-2013, 08:56
You don't see many threads like that here because what one person may dislike, another may enjoy.

If you're looking for a guide on what to avoid, how will you know if you don't try some yourself? :)

Too young (easy to list)
House styles that some dislike (BT grassiness, Beam yeast funk, metallic Woodford, HH mint)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My intent was to ask if BAD bourbon makes it to market. Stuff that doesn't taste like bourbon. Swill. Backyard spirits that don't deserve to have "bourbon" on the label. Not dislike, but bad. Mogen David wine bad. Vodka that makes rubbing alcohol a better alternative bad.

I can walk down the Total Wine pallets and see handles of vodka that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but it's easy to produce cheap vodka that tastes terrible. I wonder if bourbon producers recognize the investment that needs to be made and simply avoid the lowest-end production.

Steve99
03-16-2013, 08:57
I've found very few I dislike. Ezra Brooks tops my list. It is just too oaky for me in a young wood way. It's got a nose and taste that I just can't cme to terms with. I actually ended up pouring it down the sink. Also seems the longer it's open the worse it gets for me.

I've also had bad luck with OGD, although I love the 114.

Initially I didn't like Rittenhouse Rye, but after working my way back to it after really liking a number of other ryes, I'm now a fan.

KDM
03-16-2013, 09:03
while not really a bourbon....yet, I can't seem like any of the white dogs I've tried

HighInTheMtns
03-16-2013, 09:04
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My intent was to ask if BAD bourbon makes it to market. Stuff that doesn't taste like bourbon. Swill. Backyard spirits that don't deserve to have "bourbon" on the label. Not dislike, but bad. Mogen David wine bad. Vodka that makes rubbing alcohol a better alternative bad.

I can walk down the Total Wine pallets and see handles of vodka that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but it's easy to produce cheap vodka that tastes terrible. I wonder if bourbon producers recognize the investment that needs to be made and simply avoid the lowest-end production.
Essentially all very inexpensive bourbon comes from just a handful of distilleries who all make only 1, 2, or 3 bourbon distillates each. At the time it is entered into a barrel, the distillate that is destined to become a highly sought after limited edition bottle is identical to the distillate that is dumped at three years old to become a value brand. Anything that is labeled Straight Bourbon must meet particular standards of production and has at least some degree of quality. If you want to know what the bottom end of bourbon is, it's easy. Go buy some three year old 80 proof juice and give it a try. It's not costly.

DBM
03-16-2013, 09:25
Essentially all very inexpensive bourbon comes from just a handful of distilleries who all make only 1, 2, or 3 bourbon distillates each. At the time it is entered into a barrel, the distillate that is destined to become a highly sought after limited edition bottle is identical to the distillate that is dumped at three years old to become a value brand. Anything that is labeled Straight Bourbon must meet particular standards of production and has at least some degree of quality. If you want to know what the bottom end of bourbon is, it's easy. Go buy some three year old 80 proof juice and give it a try. It's not costly.
That was one of the possible answers I've contemplated for myself; that (straight) bourbon, by definition, has a degree of quality which lends itself to a respectable product for those who have a palate for bourbon.

I've tried very inexpensive, young bourbon from the big distilleries and didn't find it unbearable. On the other hand, I have had micro-barreled bourbon and found it to be a poor substitute for even the most average straight bourbon.

smokinjoe
03-16-2013, 09:27
I just can't find much to like from the craft distillers when it comes to bourbon. The Berkskhire Mountain is about the only bourbon tasting one I've tried. IMO, the crafts have a long, long, long, long, long, long, loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go with aged bourbon whiskey. And honestly, I'm not sure they're ever going to get there. I do appreciate their trying, though.

squire
03-16-2013, 09:28
DBM there are no bad Bourbons just some that are less desirable and that's not a brand, rather it's a category. The second largest selling whisky behind Bourbons are the Canadians which for the most part are inexpensive three year old blends targeted to the price conscious buyer who wants a decent mixer. Accordingly, the major Bourbon Houses all produce comparably priced entry level offerings and to their credit some of them are straights and not blends.

The is no such thing as rotgut from any of the major Bourbon Houses. The whisky coming of the still is exactly the same quality as what is eventually bottled as an inexpensive brand or a fully aged BIB. Every day Beam, HH, BT, 4R, BR, have millions of gallons of Bourbon that turn four years and one day old. Some of these barrels will mature further into greatness but many aren't going to get much better and those are the ones that get blended into the basic brands.

You make your choice and pay your money. I think most consumers will pour some Jack Daniels for the boss when he comes over for dinner and after he leaves reach for a plastic bottle of Kentucky Gentleman (good blend as such things go) and settle back.

Actually value brands get quite a lot of play on posts here but usually in reference to something else. We don't see a lot of posts specifically about the value brands simply because, for the most part, they are uninteresting.

darylld911
03-16-2013, 09:48
I don't know that I've ever had a "bad" bourbon in terms of a bottle I thought was just rotten. I've certainly had some that I disliked, but I didn't have the impression that they were toxic swill - just too young and aged on top floors to try to accelerate flavors. I have not found a lot of craft distillers products I thought were great (I'm not counting HW in this category), although I did really like some of Corsair's offerings that they had at KBF in September. Unfortunately some of those were not being sold retail yet - but their "Old Punk" (a pumpkin spiced flavored whiskey) was amazing. Or maybe it just lined up with that early fall weather. The Balcones stuff I've tried I would not bother with (but again, I don't think it was "bad" - just not my thing).

squire
03-16-2013, 09:53
Gary did you like the HW own make or their sourced whisky?

fishnbowljoe
03-16-2013, 10:34
Pretty much my same list from the "Down The Drain" thread. Only with a couple of additions.

My original list: Gran Legacy and Old Crow Reserve

Additions:
Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Sonoma Cutrer and Cody Road

Maybe one other too, but I won't go into details. Jury is still out.

T Comp
03-16-2013, 11:37

Remember every straight bourbon is born with a silver spoon in its mouth, next to vodka, based on mashbill and maximum distillation proof (160 proof). Add the minimum 2 years in wood and it's a knockout in the first 10 seconds of the first round :grin:.

The only bad bourbon (from the majors) I've had in the last several years is a current 86 proof Old Fitz Prime bought at a RiteAid in Kentucky. My wife wouldn't even cook with it, but...it cost me a whopping $8.49. The most current 4 year Heaven Hill BIB I picked up last spring (not the 6 year) was awfully doggy too. That one put me back $9.49.

Borchard
03-16-2013, 14:08
?..The most current 4 year Heaven Hill BIB I picked up last spring (not the 6 year) was awfully doggy too. That one put me back $9.49.
this made me think, it seems like some of the Small Batch, or Single barrel, or specially offerings can be like a wine vintage, I.e. "2010 was great, 2011 wasn't as good, etc....
with that in mind, are there some of these that people have tried and wondered what happened with that particular "vintage".

compliance
03-16-2013, 15:54
The only one I'd say was absolutely terrible was some Hudson bourbon or rye that I had. Tasted like crap tequila and raisins.

WAINWRIGHT
03-16-2013, 16:42
You guys have already put a pretty comolete list together.I will second the notions on Cody Road,Hudson Baby Bourbon,Old Crow and add the current Rebel Yell to the list,damn is this stuff bad!

Barrel_Proof
03-16-2013, 16:50
This is one very informed post. Just sayin'.

Too young (easy to list)

LostBottle
03-16-2013, 17:05
Not a bourbon, but Wild Turkey Rye 81 is f*ck*ng horrible.

Wedge
03-16-2013, 17:22
I once had a bottle of Basil Hayden that I just couldn't choke down. I can only describe it as tasting like what I would imagine liquid mercury tastes like. The contents of that bottle ended up fowling the sewer system. Just the thought of giving that brand another chance makes me retch.

darylld911
03-16-2013, 17:39
Gary did you like the HW own make or their sourced whisky?

I believe their sourced stuff, although I honestly have no idea. I haven't had any of their white (or silver) whiskey, so assuming the aged stuff is sourced? I really like HW Campfire (which has to be somewhat sourced for the peated scotch), and have enjoyed their Bourye and Double Rye.

Fitz1776
03-16-2013, 18:03
It probably doesn't really count but I was given a few nips of Red Stag infused bourbon and it was vile and undrinkable.

Borchard
03-16-2013, 18:08
It probably doesn't really count but I was given a few nips of Red Stag infused bourbon and it was vile and undrinkable.
AMEN! I'll definitely second this!

Grain Belt
03-16-2013, 18:43

Agreed also. I just pray to the bourbon gods that Beam uses substandard juice to blend with their cherry swill. I would hate to think that some of the bourbon used for Red Stag could have become a Beam Black or Knob Creek. Evan Williams cherry is just as awful but it is actually not blended with bourbon. HH uses american whiskey beause it talks about "grain neutral spirits" being a large percentage on the label. Again it is awful but at least they ruining less bourbon.

higgins
03-16-2013, 19:13
I have to feel certain that Beam uses their substandard barrels for making Red Stag. For what it's worth, I actually thought it was ok when I tried it. Obviously not something I would drink often, but on ice for a change of pace it wasn't bad.

Curtisc84
03-16-2013, 19:30
Joe,
Have you tried the Sweet Mash?

Additions:
Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Sonoma Cutrer and Cody Road

TheNovaMan
03-16-2013, 20:50
Ezra Brooks and HH BIB 4-year (gold label) have both been mentioned as undrinkable. I disagree. I think EB (black label, 90 proof, looks alot like Jack Daniels) is very drinkable with an ice cube or two, and no problem at all in a mix. I just tried the HH gold BIB a couple nights ago, and I thought it was very nice, especially for the price. I'll even drink HH 80 on the rocks and enjoy it. The bourbons I avoid are Old Crow (my dad and I call it Old Croak Kentucky Straight Embalming Fluid), and Mattingly & Moore. The Old Croak I had (several years ago) was just rotgut, and I'm not even a Beam hater. It even ruins a 7UP. The Mattingly & Moore is suspiciously sweet, which makes me think something is being covered up with sweetness.

DBM
03-16-2013, 22:16
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question with engaging, thoughtful responses. I'm relatively new to bourbon (long time scotch and wine fanatic) and was puzzled by the almost universal acceptance and respect of bourbon at every level of quality and price, and now I know why.

While I did not intend it to be a personal preference thread, I have to give LostBottle credit for the most direct and amusing response.

Not a bourbon, but Wild Turkey Rye 81 is f*ck*ng horrible.
Even if I liked WT Rye 81, I can't argue with this. :)

BFerguson
03-17-2013, 05:20
Joe,
Have you tried the Sweet Mash?

This is one on my not good list. it started out somewhat ok, but then got weirder as i got into the bottle.

B

wadewood
03-17-2013, 06:42
Corner Creek Reserve tops my list.

T Comp
03-17-2013, 08:35
Agreed also. I just pray to the bourbon gods that Beam uses substandard juice to blend with their cherry swill. I would hate to think that some of the bourbon used for Red Stag could have become a Beam Black or Knob Creek. Evan Williams cherry is just as awful but it is actually not blended with bourbon. HH uses american whiskey beause it talks about "grain neutral spirits" being a large percentage on the label. Again it is awful but at least they ruining less bourbon.

I have to feel certain that Beam uses their substandard barrels for making Red Stag. For what it's worth, I actually thought it was ok when I tried it. Obviously not something I would drink often, but on ice for a change of pace it wasn't bad.

Come on now guys (I'll assume guys :grin:). Being a discussion board, speculation happens on SB here but the notion that Red Stag is batched from a big dump of substandard barrels...I'll politiely call nonsense. Stag is labeled straight bourbon whiskey. Beam represents that it is 4 years old and the same whiskey as the White label. It is going to be the same distillate that will be Black or KC or Bookers. The barrels are dumped to obtain a consistent taste profile before the infusion and from common sense, how you going to do that with a whole batch of substandard barrels. If they even do a separate dump for Red Stag (I doubt but who knows) it would have the same amount of substandard barrels as for any dump...just enough to be hidden by all the standard ones.

Nothing wrong with disparaging Red Stag, as this is a discussion board :cool:, but hopefully the more they sell the more capital they have to put out what we want.

And someday I can tell you a story about what not to do with a bottle of Red Stag but have to hold off for now ;).

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2012/04/25/2937/flavored-whiskies-leading-spirits-market-growth-in-2012/

squire
03-17-2013, 08:45
I met a girl who liked Red Stag with cola and she led me astray.

darylld911
03-17-2013, 09:18
I met a girl who liked Red Stag with cola and she led me astray.

I keep a bottle of Red Stag purely for my wife. I almost dumped it, but played out the imaginary argument in my head.

Wife: Where is that black cherry stuff I liked?

Me: Oh, I threw that away to make room for a private selection of FRSB.

Wife: But - I liked that black cherry stuff? How many bottles do I actually like??

Me: Yeaaaaaah . . . but it was taking up space for GOOD whiskey! Wouldn't you like some good whiskey sweetie?

Wife: *smack*

squire
03-17-2013, 09:26
Dude, we lack the strength to fight girl power.

Flyfish
03-17-2013, 09:53
Add me to the list of those who don't believe there is "bad" straight bourbon whiskey, just those that don't appeal as much as others. Most SBers would likey find Blanton's and OGD 114 well within the acceptable range but I have had guests sip them and say "Blech!" It seems to me that their response says more about them than about the bourbon. (Not to mention what it says about the manners their mammas failed to teach them.)

jburlowski
03-17-2013, 10:38
Other than one or two bottles that had cork taint, the only truly bad straight bourbon I've had was the infamous WR4G. :puke:

Parkersback
03-17-2013, 11:25
OF Prime
JW Dant (80, not the BIB)
WR Maple Finish
Basil Hayden's certainly isn't "bad" by any stretch, but it's annoying.

fishnbowljoe
03-17-2013, 12:44
Other than one or two bottles that had cork taint, the only truly bad straight bourbon I've had was the infamous WR4G. :puke:

How coincidental. After my experience with the WRMC Sonoma Cutrer, I donated my WR4G to a worthy cause. Seriously.

marco246
03-17-2013, 17:10
Just visited my brother in Texas and had a drink of Garrison Brothers. Two years old, B to the third power (Bad Beyond Belief), and very expensive. I suppose it is for the Texan who must drink something distilled in Texas--maybe a loyalty thing.

SFS
03-17-2013, 18:01
How coincidental. After my experience with the WRMC Sonoma Cutrer, I donated my WR4G to a worthy cause. Seriously.

Joe, are we allowed to ask what cause found itself so worthy?

SFS
03-17-2013, 18:05
I suppose it is for the Texan who must drink something distilled in Texas--maybe a loyalty thing.

After 7 agonizingly long years in the United States of Texas (what we do for love!) I left exceedingly bemused over the fact that the folks who codified the notion of "all hat and no cattle" often fail to apply the filter accurately.

MauiSon
03-17-2013, 18:59
Novice that I am, still happy to proclaim, 'I've yet to meet a bad bourbon.'

TheNovaMan
03-17-2013, 19:04
JW Dant (80, not the BIB) I wouldn't call it bad. Simple, yes, and a bit corn-forward, but not bad. I don't drink it neat much because there are more interesting bourbons to drink neat, but it does fine in a mix.

393foureyedfox
05-12-2013, 20:56
most anything under 100 proof and everything under 90 proof.

im a newbie to bourbons but have already discovered bookers is my favorite....

i didnt like OGD 114 when I first tried it, but it has either started to grow on me, or it got a bit better after air exposure

Ive had limited exposure to ryes, and have to just say....indifferent

Young Blacksmith
05-13-2013, 07:40
I always go back in my memory as to what I've poured down the drain:

Dusty JTS Brown 86 - cardboard skunk taste
Rock Town Baby Bourbon

Everything else I've been able to either mix with or at least figure out something to do with it!

Trey Manthey
05-13-2013, 08:48
I don't mind standard Woodford Reserve, but I had to try the Sonoma-Cutrer at the Houston meetup this weekend. Probably the worst I've had.

Balcones Winston
05-13-2013, 10:08
I wish I was at liberty to say.

Actually I guess there's nothing wrong with saying that I had a 1980's JW Dant "Olde Bourbon" 80pr that was really, really bad.

Balcones Winston
05-13-2013, 10:11
Just visited my brother in Texas and had a drink of Garrison Brothers. Two years old, B to the third power (Bad Beyond Belief), and very expensive. I suppose it is for the Texan who must drink something distilled in Texas--maybe a loyalty thing.
Garrison just released a 136pr "Cowboy Bourbon" to the market, in 375ml. It's pretty damn pricey, as Dan admits, so idk if I'll get to try it, I hope he sends me a sample. I have heard from others that Garrison straight out of the barrel is some of the best bourbon they've ever had.

DrinkSpirits
05-13-2013, 12:45
I have a long list of 'craft' bourbons that are unpalatable, but I hate to shame little guys who are really trying. Having said that I think the Whistle Pig 111 (http://www.drinkspirits.com/bourbon/whistle-pig-straight-rye-111-proof-review/) is off the mark (although that's a rye).

OscarV
05-13-2013, 13:23

Too young (easy to list)

I think you covered it nicely, looks like I am not needed around here.
The sad part is the "to young", there are so so many falling into this catagory.

Richnimrod
05-13-2013, 14:32
At the risk of adding useless opinion to an already well-commented thread... Here's my list:
Hudson Baby Bourbon... AWFUL!; Corner Creek... Strange and lousy IMO; JeffPresSelect 18 ...the only bottle I ever bought or tasted (until the Spring Sampler Gazebo) tasted like rancid walnuts, and smelled about the same...TERRIBLE at $90! And, even though it isn't strictly Bourbon, all the offerings from George Dickel taste strange to my taste buddies. :rolleyes:

smknjoe
05-13-2013, 14:39
I don't mind standard Woodford Reserve, but I had to try the Sonoma-Cutrer at the Houston meetup this weekend. Probably the worst I've had.

The nose was enough for me. I didn't even pour any.

humchan2k
05-13-2013, 16:36
I'm going to give the nod for terrible bourbon to the current version of Early Times. Holy hell is that stuff horrendous.

darylld911
05-13-2013, 17:01
I'm going to give the nod for terrible bourbon to the current version of Early Times. Holy hell is that stuff horrendous.

When I heard that ET was getting back into bourbon, I was excited. And when I bought a bottle and poured a dram, I thought the nose was wonderful for a value bourbon!! Then I tasted it . . . and I agree with your assessment :lol:

tigerlam92
05-13-2013, 17:02
I haven't added to this thread because what is bad to one may be good to another. How do we post something here and not offend someone else. :) hahaha.

Cheers
Hugh

squire
05-13-2013, 17:16
If anyone's offended pour him a drink.

tigerlam92
05-13-2013, 17:24
If anyone's offended pour him a drink.

Haha. Good point. Or we can just send him that bottle instead of sending it down the drain.

I have consider that but not sure what's people's take receiving open bottles.

Cheers
Hugh

squire
05-13-2013, 17:46
I expect the authorities have a take on I wouldn't want to experience first hand.

tigerlam92
05-13-2013, 17:58
I expect the authorities have a take on I wouldn't want to experience first hand.

Completely agree with that.

Meruck
05-13-2013, 18:26

Considering in most states you cant even box it up and take it anywhere.......open container laws and all. but I do have some semi dusty OGD 86 that if anyone wants them, they can have them........dreadful stuff......

Alphanumeric
05-13-2013, 21:44
This sounds like the makings of a "What Do You Desperately Want To Get Rid Of?" thread.

TheNovaMan
05-13-2013, 22:43
I'm going to give the nod for terrible bourbon to the current version of Early Times. Holy hell is that stuff horrendous. Tastes like it's tainted with plastic to me. :P

MauiSon
05-14-2013, 13:28
Are you talking about the Early Times 354?

squire
05-14-2013, 13:37
Other than I think they're a bit overpriced I'm fine with either Early Times or 354.

WildernessTrace
05-15-2013, 05:41
We found some old Rebel Yell amongst my grandmothers collection of most of the products made from several distillery's she worked at. I must say.. that stuff was terrible, you could taste the fusels and just a shot left a bad taste for a while. After about six people agreed.. we used it to clean up some antiques that was in bad shape, made great cleaner.

squire
05-15-2013, 06:03
Was that bottle/decanter of Rebel Yell sealed with a cork?

TheNovaMan
05-15-2013, 23:25
Are you talking about the Early Times 354? No, regular Early Times almost-bourbon. I've had it before and as I recall it was OK, but the current bottle I have (glass with a plastic screw top) has an odd, plastic-y taste to it. My dad agrees, so I doubt I'm crazy. Or maybe my dad and I are both crazy?

squire
05-16-2013, 13:40
Of course that ET was being sampled by palates seasoned with good old Ten High.

cowdery
05-16-2013, 14:43
Historically, McCormick, but that was many years ago. More recently Old Crow, Rebel Yell, and Yellowstone. WRT Old Crow, I found the new 'reserve' barely drinkable but the 36-mo not drinkable at all.

miller542
05-16-2013, 15:10
I'm convinced those that say they've never met a bad bourbon have not tried the current Old Crow. It is the one and only entry on my bad bourbon list. It doesn't even taste like bourbon.

Old Crow Reserve, on the other hand, surprised me knowing how bad the standard label Old Crow is. Old Crow Reserve is a nice little bottom shelfer and a decent value if you like to mix your Beam with coke but want to save a couple $$$. Its not knocking any mid-shelfers off my shopping list, but decent all the same.

squire
05-16-2013, 15:13
Yes, those are the entry level brands but still a step up from the blended stuff.

TheNovaMan
05-16-2013, 19:37
Of course that ET was being sampled by palates seasoned with good old Ten High. Very true, Squire!

dmarkle
05-18-2013, 17:46
A coworker of mine brought in a dusty bottle she found at an estate sale thinking because it was old it should be good. It was grocery-store labeled bourbon (or was it labeled "whiskey"?... ). Anyway, MacGrouder's from what seemed to be the 60's. The sad thing was that the alcohol content wasn't high enough to be used as an effective engine degreaser, so it had a date with the drain.

I also agree on the local/craft whiskers, though they don't rise to that level of offensiveness. George Washington's gristmill Rye was up there, but that's OT because it was rye white dog... IMO commentators should really start extolling the virtues of these micro distilled whiskeys, though. That way the dumb money can chase after those atrocities until such time comes as they have a respectably aged product to sell!

squire
05-18-2013, 18:30
There is actually some "dumb money" out there to be made if you don't care about repeat business.

WildernessTrace
05-26-2013, 20:05
The rebel yell was in a bottle and I believe it was a screw cap. I'd say early 80's maybe.

c2walker
05-26-2013, 21:00
The rebel yell was in a bottle and I believe it was a screw cap. I'd say early 80's maybe.

I quite like the 80's bottlings of Rebel Yell that I've tried. Not the most complex pour out there, but I certainly don't find it offensive.

squire
05-26-2013, 21:08
I agree, the 80s era Rebel Yell was a 6 year old 90 proof expression made by Stitzel-Weller and was as good as any other SW product. Actually preferable to the 86 proof Cabin Still or 80 proof Old Fitz Prime.

393foureyedfox
05-27-2013, 19:20
tried some Evan Williams SB tonight and would have to add it to the list. We gave it as a gift to some friends and it had been opened about a month ago....there was about two shots left and i had one tonight. I didnt go back for the other....

surely it wouldnt go bad after a month, but I wouldnt waste my money on that again. HH BIB is better and less than half the cost. Lots of people like the EWSB, maybe this barrel just sucked....

smknjoe
05-27-2013, 19:26
tried some Evan Williams SB tonight and would have to add it to the list. We gave it as a gift to some friends and it had been opened about a month ago....there was about two shots left and i had one tonight. I didnt go back for the other....

surely it wouldnt go bad after a month, but I wouldnt waste my money on that again. HH BIB is better and less than half the cost. Lots of people like the EWSB, maybe this barrel just sucked....

Which year was it? I can understand if someone doesn't like it, but it was actually bad? Sorry to hear that.

squire
05-27-2013, 19:40
I would check the cork on that one.

393foureyedfox
05-28-2013, 06:21
i didnt think to check the year, and id imagine you could leave a HH BIB uncorked for the month and it would still taste better than this. I'm gonna chalk it up to a fluke or a bad barrel (since I like so many other things from HH), but still, I'm not gonna take a $25 chance on another one of these

squire
05-28-2013, 06:35
Whisky that's gone bad is usually corked and the merchant will replace or refund.

mbroo5880i
05-28-2013, 07:54
The worst bourbon that I have ever had was Ten High. However, I should caveat that by saying that 1.) it was served at a hotel as a complimentary drink and 2.) and this is something that I have never seen before, it was dispensed through a dispenser like soda! The bartender apologized when I ordered it and before I even tasted it. I drank it neat with a few cubes of ice. I couldn't finish it. My guess is that it must have been watered down. I am not sure that I have ever ran across a bourbon that was bottled that I couldn't drink.

squire
05-28-2013, 11:16
Have to wonder what was run through that dispenser previously.

MauiSon
05-28-2013, 12:07
Pappy 23, prolly. ;)

393foureyedfox
05-28-2013, 12:52
Whisky that's gone bad is usually corked and the merchant will replace or refund.

apparantly they liked it as there were only 2 shots left. then again, their go-to drink is Early Times anyway....

if we can return empty bottles we "didnt like", that would be fun!

squire
05-28-2013, 13:14
Nothing wrong with that, Early Times is a mixer and performs that job admirably.

393foureyedfox
05-28-2013, 13:45
for mixers, if you like mixers, yeah. i tend to look over anything under 100 proof too, so that may have something to do with it. we had this same bottle in a blind tasting the night it was opened a month ago, come to think of it, and I dont remember it standing out as a bad bourbon like it did yesterday. again, i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and count it a fluke or what-not

Eggman
06-01-2013, 19:53
Howdy, Jim Beam Devil's Cut; it's borderline nasty. And I like JB black label and find JB white to be adequate. Go figure.

ethangsmith
06-02-2013, 14:11
Once again, this guy is going to be in the minority here, but I also understand that.

-Wheated bourbon. Yuck. This stuff is just plain foul to me. I've dumped out bottles of Weller as I couldn't even choke it down! I think this pretty much just comes down to an issue of "It's not my style." I can appreciate it as a defined style of bourbon, but I am more than pleased to let the bottles on the shelf for those that appreciate it.

ethangsmith
06-02-2013, 14:15
Oh yea, those that don't like the Ezra Brooks, send it my way! It's actually a favorite inexpensive pour of mine.

---PS- This should give you an idea of how different my tastes in bourbon and rye are!

mbroo5880i
06-02-2013, 18:18
Once again, this guy is going to be in the minority here, but I also understand that.

-Wheated bourbon. Yuck. This stuff is just plain foul to me. I've dumped out bottles of Weller as I couldn't even choke it down! I think this pretty much just comes down to an issue of "It's not my style." I can appreciate it as a defined style of bourbon, but I am more than pleased to let the bottles on the shelf for those that appreciate it.

That's fair. There are more than enough different bourbons to meet every one's tastes.

sutton
06-07-2013, 15:58
An Old Fitz BiB by HH - bought two, one was enjoyable the other had a very weird musty/funky odor that I can only describe as "old garbage can". The palate wasn't too bad but no where near the first, quite vegetal, but that garbage can came back in the finish. Perhaps corked, who knows. Couldn't believe the variation between the two bottles. Two tablespoons of grade A medium amber and two bottles of Maker's Mark made it not just drinkable but actually quite enjoyable.

I'm still working on it ... when I've gotten it half way consumed I've dumped in more Maker's ... pretty soon I guess it will just be Maker's, and that's quite a good thing compared to where it started from. Too stubborn to throw it down the drain I guess.

bonneamie
06-07-2013, 19:01
Pappy 23, prolly. ;) So very true, I agree! :lol:

tigerlam92
06-07-2013, 19:07

Let's banned this guy!!! What did he say!!! Grrrr

Hahaha. This is the wonderful thing with bourbon, it is very subjective. Later, could be a month or years, never know you may love the wheated stuff.

Cheers
Hugh

theglobalguy
06-08-2013, 12:51
Fighting Cock, not sure why but just upsets my stomach. Been a couple years and maybe just a bad batch of production, but no going to take the chance. I only trust their BBQ sauce in the HH gift shop now!