PDA

View Full Version : George Dickel Private Barrel Selection Program

smokinjoe
03-23-2013, 11:04
I heard recently from a pretty good source that Dickel will be launching a Private Barrel Selection Program under their "Barrel Select" label sometime this Summer. There will be two offerings: A 9 year at 103ish proof, and a 14 yr at 106ish proof. These were described as "nearly barrel proof", but a little water will be added to the barrels to try and maintain certain "profiles". Something new to look forward to, I guess.
Caveat: I may be off on the proofs and ages, as this discussion was after a few, or more, whiskies...:D

Also, the Red Label Dickel is history.

squire
03-23-2013, 11:22
Both of those sound good and I hope become available. As for the Red, good riddance.

Josh
03-23-2013, 12:29
Both of those sound good and I hope become available. As for the Red, good riddance.

What he said. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Cascade Hollow. Long live #8!

MyOldKyDram
03-23-2013, 12:34
Sounds damned good to me!

WAINWRIGHT
03-23-2013, 13:26
This is good news high proof 9 and 14 year select releases both sound tasty,as for the Cascade Hollow never found it to worth anything anyway.Dickel seems to be listening and playing the marketing game well,lets hope the pricing reflects this also and keeps it within reasonable realms.

Alphanumeric
03-23-2013, 14:29
This is pretty exciting. I'd like to taste some Dickel that has a bit more kick. The 12 is a great whiskey. Does anyone know how old it is?

Brisko
03-23-2013, 16:16
This is pretty exciting. I'd like to taste some Dickel that has a bit more kick. The 12 is a great whiskey. Does anyone know how old it is?.
I'd guess about 8 or 9, based on taste alone.

Dickel prices seem to be going up in the Twin Cities. #12 could be had for under $20 in many stores. Now it's around $22 in those same stores and over $25 elsewhere. #8 was nowhere to be found but now it's here and there (haven't noted the price). The rye tends to be the cheapest across the board in the $22-$24 range.

squire
03-23-2013, 21:16
No. 12 has typically been 7-8 years but has been older when there was surplus stock.

tmckenzie
03-28-2013, 03:12
say what y'all want to, but I know where there is a shelf full of cascade hollow that I will be purchasing. I like young whiskey though.

sailor22
03-28-2013, 06:37
Both of those sound interesting. Wonder if the "water added to maintain profiles" is about bringing the bottle count up in barrels that have had a lot of evaporation or about softening the more concentrated flavors. It's often the short barrels that are the tastiest.

Cascade Hollow is $14 a 1.75 on close out locally. A couple handles found their way to my cabinet. I have tasted worse at much higher cost.

squire
03-28-2013, 12:17
You guys can have it. I don't care for young whisky myself.

BourbonJoe
03-28-2013, 13:36
These sound interesting. I'll try them if I can find them.
Joe :usflag:

smokinjoe
03-28-2013, 16:33
These sound interesting. I'll try them if I can find them.

Actually Joe, these are for private selections. I didn't take it that they would be avail in stores, but rather, selected by individuals.

T Comp
03-28-2013, 21:09
Actually Joe, these are for private selections. I didn't take it that they would be avail in stores, but rather, selected by individuals.

Not doubting your source Joe...or I guess I am :grin:. Find it a bit odd that Dickel, without a current single barrel product, would start a private barrel selection program of single barrels versus (I know, I know, versus...I can't help it ;)) selling themselves. Anyway, considering their Dickel Barrel Reserve label is from 10 barrels, 86 proof and nas (but from barrels selected in 2006?), priced here at $40...I'd expect the 14 year-106 proof will not be a bargain buy for anybody, barrel buyers or by the bottle, and in the $100 a bottle range.

VAGentleman
03-29-2013, 05:08
I would guess stores like TPS, Binny's etc would buy the barrels and make them available to the general public. I hope so at least

smokinjoe
03-29-2013, 10:06
I would guess stores like TPS, Binny's etc would buy the barrels and make them available to the general public. I hope so at least

Right. Good point VG. There's no reason that certain retailers couldn't pick their own, like they do other barrels. So, these could be available in stores.

HighHorse
03-29-2013, 12:54
Both of those sound interesting. Wonder if the "water added to maintain profiles" is about bringing the bottle count up in barrels that have had a lot of evaporation or about softening the more concentrated flavors. It's often the short barrels that are the tastiest.

Cascade Hollow is $14 a 1.75 on close out locally. A couple handles found their way to my cabinet. I have tasted worse at much higher cost.

Charcoal starter with a bit more pleasant after-taste.

squire
03-29-2013, 13:00
You guys using moonshine for starter over there Jim?

HighHorse
03-29-2013, 13:23
You guys using moonshine for starter over there Jim?

at that price .. it's getting reasonable. After all ... after reading Ray's thread on ethanols .. I've learned this stuff can make you drunk! Who'd a thunk it?

c2walker
07-20-2013, 14:20
I haven't cracked a bottle yet, but I thought I'd announce that these George Dickel single barrels are now hitting shelves.

http://i.imgur.com/lJP7mxd.jpg?1

MyOldKyDram
07-20-2013, 16:11
Oh very cool! Didn't know this was going to be available outside of Cascade Hollow.

WAINWRIGHT
07-20-2013, 17:02
Hopefully my favorite Chicagoland store will get this in soon so it's there for the taking.

BourbonJoe
07-20-2013, 17:41
You're wrong pal. They just hit the shelves in New York City, available to the general public.

smokinjoe
07-20-2013, 18:12
You're wrong pal. They just hit the shelves in New York City, available to the general public.

It sure does look so, Joe. I just don't hear as well as I once did. ;)

squire
07-20-2013, 18:14
I like that label, tells you everything you need to know without a lot of clutter.

scratchline
07-20-2013, 18:36
What's the price on this?

c2walker
07-20-2013, 19:27

$90. Don't know if that's high or low as I've never seen it anywhere other than where I got it.

T Comp
07-20-2013, 19:28

After sitting back and having a generous pour tonight of this. I feel like I know this one better. Still light at entry, mid it will give sides of your tongue a bit of a burn, smooth going down with very little burn at all. Flavors still that stand out to me vanilla, lots of oak, then butterscotch. This is damn good whisky. It's currently $98 a bottle wish it were cheaper I'd drink this over #12 any day.

$98 per a prior post in this thread on page 7...for the one he grabbed at the distillery. The one retailer I know of is in that area too.

Gillman
07-20-2013, 19:47
This looks very interesting, I hope some taste notes will come in. Curious if the basic Dickel profile is maintained or do the considerable extra years create something apart (not a bad thing IMO).

Gary

squire
07-21-2013, 14:09
I shouldn't think so Gary, when the 10 year old Dickel was available I found the House character very evident.

jburlowski
07-30-2013, 14:56
Got a couple bottles. I was disappointed at first because ii was all alcohol burn... way out of balance and much more so than one would expect for the proof. Adding water lessened the burn but brought out a sodden wood, sooty (from the LCP?) taste.

dgonano discovered that this one improves greatly after some air gets in the bottle. Now I find it a very nice pour. Definitely the Dickel profile but (as one would expect} richer and more complex. Lots of dark caramel and cherry on the nose. Dave found the finish to be too short but I found it to be medium length. Recommended.

Since this is a single barrel bottling (actual a "small batch", "single barrel" a la WTRRSmBSB ---- and "hand-crafted" to boot!) it'll be interesting to see how other bottlings compare.

MyOldKyDram
08-16-2013, 16:09
Grabbed a bottle today. Looking forward to getting into it soon.

theglobalguy
08-16-2013, 18:04
Grabbed a bottle today. Looking forward to getting into it soon.

The 14 or the 9? Not having tried Dickel before, think i may take a chance on the 9.

qman22
08-16-2013, 18:42
I'm looking forward to more tasting notes on these. I'm thinking about ordering one

MyOldKyDram
08-16-2013, 18:52
The 14 or the 9? Not having tried Dickel before, think i may take a chance on the 9.

I grabbed the 14, but they had the 9 as well.

nblair
08-17-2013, 05:10
I grabbed the 14, but they had the 9 as well.

Was this in KY? I am very interested in trying one. Big fan of Dickel 12.

MyOldKyDram
08-17-2013, 05:13
Yeah. Liquor Barns in Lex have them, so safe bet yours do too.

jburlowski
08-18-2013, 10:57
Wow... been sampling some Dickel SB 9 yo. If you like Dickel, this is the pour you've always dreamed of.

This IS Dickel. Grown up and reached maturity. A higher proof. Multi-faceted and complete. The WTRR101 of Dickeldom... if that makes any sense.

Now the 14 yo is another animal.... righteous in its own self. A cousin who is welcome at the family gathering but is different enough to be looked at a little askance. Hey, he's OK but, ya know, we all knew that Uncle George (his Dad) was kin but he was always a little, ya know, "different". :rolleyes:

Both of these are great pours. Both are recommended.

MyOldKyDram
08-18-2013, 11:49
Looks like I'm going to need a bottle of that 9 as well. Heard that one is the winner of the two several times over.

squire
08-18-2013, 11:52
I feel the wind swaying me toward the nine as well.

MyOldKyDram
08-18-2013, 12:00
Im enjoying the 14 a lot, but it needs serious time in glass first. That flinty/mineral/vitamin/baby aspirin note that some find in the 12 is just out of control here otherwise. When that blows off it's just sweet honey goodness. I also found the finish to be decent length, but have seen many others describe it as short. All in all though it's a damned fine pour.

WAINWRIGHT
08-18-2013, 13:35
I find the same over the top "chewable vitamin" in the BS myself,far more prominent than in the #12 and it has never faded one iota.I hope yours with some open time begins to mellow and maybe the proof increase will have some positive effect.

theglobalguy
08-18-2013, 14:17
Looks like I'm going to need a bottle of that 9 as well. Heard that one is the winner of the two several times over.

I asked the staff at TPS (they have both the 9 and the 14), which they preferred. Give the guy credit, he was brutally honest "i can't stand Dickel, so i might not be the guy to check with, but i hear both barrels of the select are awesome!".

Hands were full with some other choices, so i passed for now.

VAGentleman
08-19-2013, 20:14
I was down in TN for business last week and stopped off at the Distillery and got a couple bottles of the 14 year. Barrel #2. Wow! If you like Dickel 12 you should love this. Definitely amped up with a nice burn. Much more oakiness than the 12 but that's a good thing in my book. The honey/vitamin taste is still there in the finish so its definitely got the Dickel taste. The finish on this is great with that Dickel flavor lasting a long time. I've got a bottle of the 9 year old on order, when I get it I'll do a tasting of the 14, the 9 the Special Barrel Reserve 10 year and the Barrel select.

squire
08-19-2013, 20:57
That will be a 5 star level tasting.

MyOldKyDram
08-20-2013, 17:42
About a quarter a way into the bottle and the uber-vitamin quality has all but disappeared. Drinking mighty fine tonight.

WAINWRIGHT
08-20-2013, 17:58
Glad to here it settled done,I really look forward to putting my hands on both a 9 & 14yr. in about a month.

Alphanumeric
08-20-2013, 21:24
Glad to here it settled done,I really look forward to putting my hands on both a 9 & 14yr. in about a month.

Ryan, are you suggesting the two will be making an appearance in the Chicagoland region at that time? I am very keen on getting a 9 myself.

MyOldKyDram
08-20-2013, 21:33
Thinking Ryan will be in KY in about a month. But can't imagine Chi wont get them too,

WAINWRIGHT
08-21-2013, 05:53
Ryan, are you suggesting the two will be making an appearance in the Chicagoland region at that time? I am very keen on getting a 9 myself.

Thinking Ryan will be in KY in about a month. But can't imagine Chi wont get them too,Sean is correct,I say there is no time like the present and if I see them down in Kentucky they are coming home with me most immediately.I'm sure our favorite Chicagoland Retailer will get some,but hey I'm an impatient guy.:grin:That and it will just be another good excuse for me to buy more once they do arrive.

Josh
08-21-2013, 12:01
The 9 and 14 will be officially available in Michigan on September 1. $45 for the 9, $65 for the 14.

MyOldKyDram
08-21-2013, 17:22
Went back got a 9 today. Will get into it here in a sec.

MyOldKyDram
08-21-2013, 18:57
Okay, so the 9 is just stellar stuff. Loads better than the 14. Classic Dickel profile ramped up to 11. This is the one.

Josh
09-14-2013, 12:49
This stuff has still not hit the shelves here and the retailers I asked about it looked at me like I was nuts. Anybody else in Michigan have better luck with it than I?

393foureyedfox
10-27-2013, 10:58
i may be too late, but has anyone seen any in louisville? id be interested in a 9

MyOldKyDram
10-27-2013, 11:15
http://www.liquorbarn.com/Products/ProductLocator.aspx

393foureyedfox
10-27-2013, 14:32
thanks!

for some reason, when i tried looking that up (before i posted inquiring if anyone knew of any), LB's site didnt pull it up when i typed 'george dickel', but does if you type 'dickel'. just a tip for other searchers....

OscarV
10-27-2013, 17:58
This stuff has still not hit the shelves here and the retailers I asked about it looked at me like I was nuts. Anybody else in Michigan have better luck with it than I?

I think I will try to order a bottle of the 14yo this week.

theglobalguy
10-27-2013, 18:01
thanks!

for some reason, when i tried looking that up (before i posted inquiring if anyone knew of any), LB's site didnt pull it up when i typed 'george dickel', but does if you type 'dickel'. just a tip for other searchers....

And unless they show really deep stock...call first. Have had heir # be accurate but a few bottles "magically" locked away in the managers office. Listen, i know it's their call who they sell the bottles to, but the transparency of the web is a heck of a way to call their bluff.

MyOldKyDram
10-27-2013, 18:03
These Dickels aren't moving too terribly fast. At least theres still boatloads around here. Doubt they have too much squirreled away.

theglobalguy
10-27-2013, 18:18
These Dickels aren't moving too terribly fast. At least theres still boatloads around here. Doubt they have too much squirreled away.

Agreed, was more a general heads up on the LB search site.

393foureyedfox
10-27-2013, 22:59
And unless they show really deep stock...call first. Have had heir # be accurate but a few bottles "magically" locked away in the managers office. Listen, i know it's their call who they sell the bottles to, but the transparency of the web is a heck of a way to call their bluff.

ive experienced that as well.....as you likely remember my summer rant about how pissed i was that their inventory showed ECBP 'in stock' yet when i got there it was 'being held' for someone already. i call now if it shows less than 5 of what i want.

kaiserhog
11-06-2013, 06:04
I look forward to trying GDPBS.

Trey Manthey
11-06-2013, 07:04
Martin Wine Cellar recently got in several barrel selections in, including two Dickel barrels, a 9 and 14 year.

I spent some time with them at the store. The 9 year wasn't bad, but I picked up on the flinty, mineral note that some have mentioned here. The 14 was over the hill, with lots of bitter wood. Plus, they were $50 and $70, and were sitting next to a $25 Henry McKenna selection that I thought was excellent.

Three other local retailers also did the same lineup: a 9 and a 14. I tasted one 9 year that I liked, and their price was more reasonable at $40, so I bought one of those.

squire
11-06-2013, 07:41
I've heard the mineral note in Dickel described as "crisp, apple like" but however noted it is present and is something one either likes or not. I like it.

HighHorse
11-06-2013, 10:01
Met last night with Dickel Brand Ambassador and others touting the Private Barrel Program. He said the 14 year old is limited to 50 or 60 barrels they set aside for the program and that there will not be more for a few years. The 9 year old private barrel program is not limited. According to him, the juice goes in at low proof in their one-story warehouses (Squire) and the proof at bottling is very near barrel strength anyway. (115-120?) We tasted a flight of the various Dickels .. but not the private barrel 9 or 14. Samples are en-route to the local store. I enjoyed the Barrel Select very much ... ditto the 12 ... and after all of that, found the old Number 8 to be a standout with char goodness that I didn't find in the others.
That it's sweeter than most pours including Jack and bourbons .. isn't surprising with a mashbill of 84-8-8 Corn-Barley-Rye. That's a lot of corn!

squire
11-06-2013, 11:10
Thanks Jon. For some reason I always ignore the No. 8 and perhaps I should reevaluate that position.

OscarV
11-08-2013, 17:29
I think I will try to order a bottle of the 14yo this week.

Last week I did order a bottle but MI LCC came back with an "Out Of Stock" response.

kaiserhog
11-09-2013, 09:37
I wonder where I can find GDPBS close to NW Arkansas?

393foureyedfox
11-09-2013, 14:52
my local LB had 5 of the 9 years a few weeks ago, 4 after i left. they said the 14's came and went quickly, which was fine with me, as with my history, id want to try the 9 before i tried the 14 anyway.

i cant imagine it being something that sells out quickly, GD fans are a minority it seems

callmeox
01-29-2014, 18:16
The 9 and 14 will be officially available in Michigan on September 1. $45 for the 9, $65 for the 14.

These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.

393foureyedfox
01-29-2014, 19:16
These hit the Ohio list for January but are not widely available yet. Pricing is roughly the same with tax included.

sounds like its a continued release then? I hope so......

adub23
01-29-2014, 20:18
The grocery store by my house just put out a shelf full of 9yr since last time I was there. Was tempted to buy one at fox's recommendation but held back since I had just bought a few bottles recently that I've yet to open. Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

squire
01-29-2014, 21:00
Hopefully it sticks around a while and I'll be back for one.

I've said that, more than once, wrong every time.

MyOldKyDram
01-29-2014, 21:03
It's hung around here a lot longer than any limited not named Woodford Masters.

theglobalguy
01-30-2014, 05:25
sounds like its a continued release then? I hope so......

I posted in another thread (couldn't remember where this one was at the time) Diageo made comment of 300 barrels of this being sold. No comment to "all at once" or "X/month for Y months" but sounds like more out there than you may have thought.

All that being said....300 barrels will likely have a massive variation in taste profile between them.

VAGentleman
01-30-2014, 08:19
That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12

squire
01-30-2014, 08:45
Worth more means they think they can get more.

Brisko
01-30-2014, 09:51
That comment was from the November Diageo investors meeting. They said they had sold 200 barrels and expect to sell 300. They also said they were going to gradually raise the price as they thought it was worth more than they are now charging. They mentioned $19 for Dickel 8 and $24 for Dickel 12

I've been seeing those prices in the Twin Cities for a while now (and higher). But I've seen it on special quite a bit in the last month or two, so maybe they're using the JC Penny pricing model.

393foureyedfox
01-30-2014, 09:55

'worth it' is a subjective term. As much as I like it, I do think it is already pushing the price border of 'worth it'. Dickel is a peculiar profile that isnt as widely liked as regular bourbon is, yet other companies....say, Beam.....regularly offer 9 year old, 100 proof KC across the entire country at a regular price of just below $30 in most places. I rave about this 9 year Dickel more than any other whiskey, but if it crosses the $50 mark, I will not buy it anymore. That's just my personal rule. Honestly, I think it is 'worth' $40 for the 9 year.

At more than twice the price of 90 proof Dickel 12, $45 has to be very profitable for them as it is. I wouldnt imagine that a brand with limited appeal (relative to other actual bourbons) would want to scare off customers by significantly raising prices, but who knows the logic large corporations use.

$24 for Dickel 12? Maybe if it were actually 12 years old......you are then getting into the price category of EC12, which IS actually 12 years old and not just #12

The bourbon market offers a lot of choices from a lot of competitors. Like it or not, you have to compete with other companies offering similar proof/age/profile targets.....unless you have marketing geniuses that can fool people into dropping large chunks of their wallets for 'limited' this-or-that, or status symbols

michaelturtle1
01-30-2014, 09:58
In the stores that are doing the private barrels see if you can taste the 9 or 14 before you buy them... I had a 9 that was pretty good but I blindly bought one from another local store and it is completely undrinkable. A friend was picking a 14 for his store and all 3 samples he received were so bad that we poured out what little we put into our glasses and he shipped the samples directly back to Dickel. I had a few people try my 9 yr bottle this weekend and no one could even palate more than a sip so it is not just me

Brisko
01-30-2014, 10:03
$24 for Dickel 12? Maybe if it were actually 12 years old......you are then getting into the price category of EC12, which IS actually 12 years old and not just #12
Yes, but Dickel 12 is way more consistent than Elijah Craig. I like EC12, even love the good ones, but they are all over the map.

393foureyedfox
01-30-2014, 10:10
In the stores that are doing the private barrels see if you can taste the 9 or 14 before you buy them... I had a 9 that was pretty good but I blindly bought one from another local store and it is completely undrinkable. A friend was picking a 14 for his store and all 3 samples he received were so bad that we poured out what little we put into our glasses and he shipped the samples directly back to Dickel. I had a few people try my 9 yr bottle this weekend and no one could even palate more than a sip so it is not just me

I expect the 14 year to have more variety than the 9 year, as its had more time to take on individual profiles. All the 9 year I have stockpiled all came from the same local large chain store, and although I doubt it mattered, I got as many consecutive numbers of bottles as I could.

Ive heard people, it may have even been you, say they thought the 9 year was horrendous. It may be your tastes or it may be a unique barrel. As with any whiskey, theyre gonna vary. Tasting samples at the store would be great, if your store offered them. Mine didnt. I bought it since I had a gift card and thought the 9 year and 103 proof fit the general profile requirements that I tend to like, so I blindly bought it. Fortunately, I was pleased, though I was (truthfully) indifferent at first.

squire
01-30-2014, 12:25
I don't think the Tennessee style whiskys, Dickel or Daniels, lend themselves to long aging. The Lincoln County process is itself an aging jump start and the already light profile whiskys simply get too woody and out of balance much past 8 years or so.

sutton
01-30-2014, 12:40

If they are saying that at an investor meeting (or earnings call) they are likely talking about the price THEY will charge out the door - that is the price that would matter to their bottom line. So if these are the new entry prices into the three-tier system, you'd be paying much more down the road.

squire
01-30-2014, 12:47
Like Hell I will, there's more than one girl at this dance.

sutton
01-30-2014, 12:50
Maybe it is time to stock up ... on Diageo stock (and I'm not talkin' whisk(e)y).

393foureyedfox
01-30-2014, 15:00
Like Hell I will, there's more than one girl at this dance.

smart people realize you can vote with your wallet, right squire?

squire
01-30-2014, 16:28
Yes, yes indeed.