PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cocktail w/ Premium Bourbon

Grain Belt
04-12-2013, 10:58
Not something I could do too often due to the realities of my budget, but.....

Have you ever taken your favorite bourbon cocktail and used a premium bourbon with it? I like Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. One night I made a few Manhattans with some Blanton's that I received as a gift. I said "WOW!!!!" several times to myself as I savored each sip. I did the same thing with a Lot B and was also quite impressed.

I will still enjoy my cocktails with EWB or JBB but I now have a few ideas for special occasions like a Birthday or a toast at deer camp on a big buck.

tanstaafl2
04-12-2013, 12:40
Generally speaking in a cocktail, especially where the base spirit predominates as is the case with a Manhattan, Old Fashioned or a Sazerac, then the better the quality you can afford to use the better the quality of the cocktail. That also applies to your mixers whether it be soda, vermouth or liqueurs.

Then it just becomes a trade off for how much you like your bourbon neat versus using it in a cocktail I suppose.

stiffchainey
04-12-2013, 13:15
I do use premium stuff in my cocktails. I love cocktails, especially the really old school ones, and the better the ingredients, the better the whole thing. I even made a sour with some Pappy! Hell yeah! ;)

Barclay Beach
04-12-2013, 17:49
I agree with the sentiments above. Pretty obvious, but using Handy makes for a mean sazerac. The 2oz pour works out to roughly $5. You'd pay that much for a well drink at most bars.

That said, I wouldn't mix with many of my best bottles; their subtleties would get lost.

ratcheer
04-13-2013, 06:35
On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star. So, I tried it both ways. With Seagrams gin and Martini and Rossi vermouth, it was indeed a delicious drink. But with Tanqueray gin and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, it was like nectar from heaven!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2012/11/negroni_bar_crawl_a_reader_mandated_post_sandy_bro oklyn_based_birthday_blowout.html

Tim

tanstaafl2
04-13-2013, 10:04
I am still not quite sure Campari CAN shine. Yes, I know, sacrilege. I often make my own variation using the more orange-y and slightly less bitter Aperol. Or better yet, dump the gin too and go with Aperol, rye and Dolin dry vermouth for my own variation on the Old Pal.

On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star. So, I tried it both ways. With Seagrams gin and Martini and Rossi vermouth, it was indeed a delicious drink. But with Tanqueray gin and Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, it was like nectar from heaven!

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2012/11/negroni_bar_crawl_a_reader_mandated_post_sandy_bro oklyn_based_birthday_blowout.html

Tim

nd2005
04-14-2013, 15:57
On a related note, I recently read an article about the Negroni cocktail that said you should use run-of-the-mill gin and vermouth so the Campari can shine as the star.

There is something to be said for letting a certain ingredient in a cocktail stand out. But I don't know that that means using "run of the mill" other ingredients. A mediocre gin or bourbon can still have a very strong flavor that dominates a drink. I tend to mess with the proportions more to achieve the desired effect.

Alden
04-14-2013, 16:06
OGD114 and coke. Maybe a slice of lime.

Alden
04-14-2013, 16:09
On a related note, anyone here like Rob Roys?

squire
04-14-2013, 16:28
I liked the movie, not too keen on the drink.

Alden
04-14-2013, 16:47
I liked the movie, not too keen on the drink.

It's nasty... a Manhattan made with scotch.

I can't think of any mixed drinks with scotch in them that taste good.

Scotch should always be neat, or with water, or on the rocks.

squire
04-14-2013, 17:05
I'm sure there are some just can't think of one at the moment.

Alden
04-14-2013, 17:25
I'm sure there are some just can't think of one at the moment.

:slappin:

That's what I'm talkin' about.

tanstaafl2
04-14-2013, 20:17
It's nasty... a Manhattan made with scotch.

Cameron's Kick (http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/09/12/camerons-kick/) leaps to mind for me. An interesting blend of scotch, Irish Whiskey, lemon juice and orgeat. Although it doesn't necessarily sound like it I find it surprisingly good. Blended scotch and particularly Famous Grouse is usually recommended for some reason.

The Blood and Sand is the other scotch classic I suppose besides the Rob Roy that comes to mind. Although I tend to like mine with Mezcal replacing the scotch.

nd2005
04-15-2013, 06:31

My favorite bartender made me a "smoked" old fashioned once that was pretty tasty (he suggested it to me).

Auchentoshan 3 wood
Sugar
Regan's orange bitters
Lemon twist
Water

squire
04-15-2013, 06:59
There was a movie starring Ray Milland called 'The River's Edge" made in 1957. He and his lady friend sit at a bar where he orders "A Martini and an Old Fashioned made with Scotch". The tone of the scene was to suggest sophistication but I wondered if that might have been a popular way to make the drink at the time.

Alden
04-15-2013, 13:04
Cameron's Kick (http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/09/12/camerons-kick/) leaps to mind for me. An interesting blend of scotch, Irish Whiskey, lemon juice and orgeat. Although it doesn't necessarily sound like it I find it surprisingly good. Blended scotch and particularly Famous Grouse is usually recommended for some reason.

The Blood and Sand is the other scotch classic I suppose besides the Rob Roy that comes to mind. Although I tend to like mine with Mezcal replacing the scotch.

The reason is probably that it is a very very mild tasting scotch, and also probably the most commonly available scotch found.

DaveOfAtl
04-15-2013, 14:48

Thanks for letting me know how I should drink my scotch.

Alden
04-15-2013, 16:10
Thanks for letting me know how I should drink my scotch.

You're welcome. :lol:

HighInTheMtns
04-15-2013, 16:17
..."smoked"... Auchentoshan 3 wood...
This is not a smoky whisky. Don't see a source for smoke flavor in his "smoked" old fashioned.

Grain Belt
04-15-2013, 19:51
Somehow this degenerated from "premium bourbon" to "half-assed scotch" If you can find a cocktail that uses Laphroig barrel strength 18 year old blah, blah, blah then you win. How about talking about bourbon. That beautiful amber liquid this site is based on. :lol: I kid because I care.

nd2005
04-15-2013, 20:43
This is not a smoky whisky. Don't see a source for smoke flavor in his "smoked" old fashioned.

Well it was certainly smokier than my usual old-fashioned ...not to mention on the house for being the subject of my bartenders' experiments.

I imagine if he'd made it with Ardbeg I would not have liked it as much...

Wryguy
04-15-2013, 21:14
3 Cocktails come to mind, one with bourbon, one with rye and one great Scotch cocktail.

The first I call the Small Batch Shooter, pick a premium bourbon that you feel has a strong stone fruit, cherry note to your palate and combine and chill it 3:1 with Kirschwasser/Luxardo Maraschino and either Fee's rhubarb or cherry bitters. My version was Black Maple Hill Small Batch, Luxardo Maraschino and rhubarb bitters. I make it so it comes out to a 1.25 oz shooter. Two sips and its gone. Chicks dig it. I do too.

The second was a drink my buddy came up with. Small and right, the Mini-Man features Rittenhouse 21/23/25, and Barolo Chinato, again in a 3:1 ratio, bitters and garnish of your choosing though I think it's best without any. I normally make it small as a preface to diving into a pour of some older Rittenhouse.

Finally the third, the Penicillin, created by some genius cocktail guru, it's basically a blended scotch base sour with a smoky Scotch topper, I like it with a single malt base of Benromach or Springbank CV and then lemon juice, simple syrup, shaken, strained over rocks, and topped with Laphroaig 10.

Hope this is more what you were looking for Grainbelt.

Beer&Bourbon
04-15-2013, 21:27

The smoke likely doesn't come from the whiskey, but from a smoke gun. They're being used in the cocktail world to add different sorts of smokey flavor to drinks. I haven't tried one myself, but here's a youtube video where the bartender makes a smokey old fashioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpO0xdxyUkg

Grain Belt
04-16-2013, 04:56
Thanks Wryguy but I meant no scotch and wanted talk of premium bourbons being used in cocktails. I understand slipping into a rye here or there, but not scotch. :rolleyes: It reminds me of a pheasant hunting trip. We were cooking a nice meal for the farmer whose land we hunt on. We were having a few cocktails and my dad asked the farmer what he would like to drink. The farmer tried a scotch and water. He then asked, "Do you fellas have a cat around here?" We said, "No we don't, Why?" The farmer says, " Because I'd like to lick its ass to get this awful taste out of my mouth." :slappin: He then had a few bourbons and a nice steak and life was good.

brettckeen
05-04-2013, 09:40
Generally no. In fact I have refused customers who have ordered a Pappy and coke. Yes these people do exhist. But I have had a couple sazaracs with thomas handy and paid a lot of money for them. They were better than baby saz because of the higher proof and was able to dance better with the pechauds. But for most saz I think a 3 or four year willet 95 /5 ldi at 110 proof works splendidly. This of course isn't bourbon, and bourbon only requires a glass.

camduncan
05-04-2013, 13:46
I've made killer Mint Juleps with Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 10/107, the best Old Fashioned I've ever tasted with Vintage 23 Rye and even tipped some coke into the dregs of a pour of Pappy 23 that I really wasn't enjoying one night (it was that or tip the Pappy out). Personally I think the premium bourbons made the drink(s) much more than it normally is, but I do wonder how much of that was expectation vs. actual taste difference from using something like Makers or Beam Black.

camduncan
05-04-2013, 13:47
Thanks Wryguy but I meant no scotch and wanted talk of premium bourbons being used in cocktails. I understand slipping into a rye here or there, but not scotch. :rolleyes: It reminds me of a pheasant hunting trip. We were cooking a nice meal for the farmer whose land we hunt on. We were having a few cocktails and my dad asked the farmer what he would like to drink. The farmer tried a scotch and water. He then asked, "Do you fellas have a cat around here?" We said, "No we don't, Why?" The farmer says, " Because I'd like to lick its ass to get this awful taste out of my mouth." :slappin: He then had a few bourbons and a nice steak and life was good.
I gotta use that in my conversations with Scotch drinkers :cool:

Alphanumeric
05-05-2013, 08:09
Finally the third, the Penicillin, created by some genius cocktail guru,

That would be Sam Ross. I'll have to give your single malt base variation a try.

petrel800
05-05-2013, 15:56
ORVW 10/107 makes a hell of an old fashioned in my opinion.

Quantum
05-15-2013, 10:29
I may just have a burnt out palate, but I find the flavor of a quality rye stands out in a cocktail much more than a quality bourbon. I find the basic character of a bourbon shows up in a cocktail, but a lot of the more specific flavors don't really make it through. Whenever I find a bourbon that has some flavors that I really enjoy, but just isn't fully developed or well balanced, I set that aside for mixing. You get the base flavors, but your mixers take care of balancing the drink out.

I will use THH for a Old Fashioned or Sazerac, but I rarely feel a need to use a bourbon nicer than EWSB or OWA.

squire
05-15-2013, 10:33
I compromise somewhat by using a high rye Bourbon but of course it's all good.

mbroo5880i
05-25-2013, 18:02
I rarely drink cocktails but, when I do, I drink Manhattans. Woodford or Buffalo Trace 3:1 or 4:1 with Vermouth, a few dashes of bitters and a small splash of maraschino cherry juice (and a few cherries) makes a nice drink. The key is heavy on the bourbon and light on everything else. Signed, the World's Least Interesting Man.

A Dublin (irish Whiskey Manhattan) can be quite tasty as well.

imbibehour
06-26-2013, 07:51
I find it really depends. Top quality ingredients with top shelf bourbon is a must (or for any cocktail ingredient, dont mix quality with swill ie. Top shelf tequila with fake sour mix in a margarita), however I did try a few cocktails with some premiums and all the huances were either lost, orthe drink was fsr to strong and or unbalanced.

Honestly it is fun to play around, but unless the cocktail is really simple (2-3 ingredients) , I dont do it.

sailor22
06-26-2013, 08:04
A manhattan made with Bookers is very good. A manhattan made with VWFR rye is better.

JimmyLikesRye
07-13-2013, 15:55
Blanton's in a Manhattan is pretty great. Is Blanton's considered "premium"? A high-quality sweet vermouth is essential (Cocchi Vermouth di Torini is my fave) to pair with high-quality bourbon.

ewj
07-21-2013, 12:49
I like a stellar Noah's Mill Old Fashioned with a dash of orange bitters and a dash of chocolate bitters. Simply outstanding.

Restaurant man
07-21-2013, 14:49
Big fan of larceny whiskey sours. Working on one now :)

Restaurant man
07-21-2013, 14:50
A manhattan made with Bookers is very good. A manhattan made with VWFR rye is better.

You're killing me with this! VWFRR can only be consumed one way, str8 from the bottle

squire
07-21-2013, 16:03
Well that sure is one way.

Pieface
07-22-2013, 05:41
Paul sure seemed sour on me in chat today when I told him about the delicious WTRR101 and coke I had on Saturday :lol:

squire
07-22-2013, 06:35
Paul's a bit protective of his favorite winged creature.