PDA

View Full Version : Things Tour Guides Say - Barton

wadewood
05-01-2013, 07:34
I took the Barton / 1792 / Tom Moore tour during the sampler. I learned:

-Bourbon has to be between 51% and 80% corn. If over 80%, then it's corn whiskey, not bourbon.

-Bourbon (with no mention of the word Straight) has to be aged a min. of 2 years

I did learn that BT is aging Weller barrels at Barton.

fricky
05-01-2013, 07:40
Is there a doubler there? There was a question about that.

squire
05-01-2013, 07:55
Yes, was there any mention of the mystery doubler?

T Comp
05-01-2013, 08:05
A few of us toured there a couple years back. Can't recall any incorrect things said by the guide but wasn't paying much attention as she was damn cute :grin:.

squire
05-01-2013, 08:08
At least you've got your priorities straight Thad.

michang5
05-01-2013, 08:28
I hope and expect every tour I take to go something like this (http://youtu.be/cYfjq3ZYZbA).

:)

wadewood
05-01-2013, 14:46
Guide said there was a doubler.

smokinjoe
05-01-2013, 15:35
A few of us toured there a couple years back. Can't recall any incorrect things said by the guide but wasn't paying much attention as she was damn cute :grin:.

Ah yes, such Joy-ful memories...:D

tmckenzie
05-02-2013, 05:09
I have had folks who know say their is and old worn out doubler, but it is not used. It is on the roof. I am also, told, but do not know if anything is to it, Paging Chuck, that Barton will be closed down for good. The distilling plant.

p_elliott
05-02-2013, 08:45
I have had folks who know say their is and old worn out doubler, but it is not used. It is on the roof. I am also, told, but do not know if anything is to it, Paging Chuck, that Barton will be closed down for good. The distilling plant. We were at the gift shop and they said they will be distilling big time real soon as they got a contract with someone to distill for them.

squire
05-02-2013, 08:56
Aarrghh . . . . . . . .

mosugoji64
05-02-2013, 09:04
Oh, dear. Let the hoarding begin ... :rolleyes:

squire
05-02-2013, 09:07
Screw 'em, screw 'em twice, strong letter will follow.

p_elliott
05-02-2013, 09:08
They didn't indicate that meant they were going to quit making their own stuff.

cowdery
05-02-2013, 16:46
I'm bored with Barton rumors. If you have questions about Barton, ask Mark Brown. He'll answer you.

mark fleetwood
05-02-2013, 22:03

-Bourbon has to be between 51% and 80% corn. If over 80%, then it's corn whiskey, not bourbon.

-Bourbon (with no mention of the word Straight) has to be aged a min. of 2 years

Aging Weller in Bardstown? Really? Do you suspect that means what will be Pappy also will age at Bardstown too? I guess they expect Weller name can withstand any possible change that different warehouses may bring.

HighInTheMtns
05-02-2013, 23:58
Aging Weller in Bardstown? Really? Do you suspect that means what will be Pappy also will age at Bardstown too? I guess they expect Weller name can withstand any possible change that different warehouses may bring.
It's been aged in Louisville, it's been aged in Frankfort... May as well age it half way in between. Saz bought Barton largely for the warehouse capacity, this is no surprise.

cowdery
05-03-2013, 17:01
If it's true, no one should be unhappy. I'd rather have my bourbon in those airy, hilltop steel clads than in cramped masonry down in that river valley.

HighHorse
05-03-2013, 19:42

Wade - I recently saw an article penned in 2004 that said the same thing .. Bourbon between 51% & 79%. But after betting a dollar on it .. I lost. Corn at 80%+ cannot be aged in charcoal barrels. The regulation has changed a few times since it read that (1964 I believe). For example, the Baby Hudson bourbon has more than 80% corn.

cowdery
05-04-2013, 14:26
Wade was kidding because what he was told is wrong. The rules haven't changed, they're just widely misunderstood. Bourbon has to be at least 51% corn but there is not now nor has there ever been a maximum. Bourbon can be 100% corn. The small grains are optional. Corn whiskey has to be at least 80% corn but can also be 100% corn. Again, the small grains are optional. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that bourbon must be aged in new charred barrels, whereas corn whiskey does not have to be aged. If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbon.

Somebody owes you a dollar.

JPBoston
05-04-2013, 14:57
Aarrghh . . . . . . . .

Oh man --- I hope the rumors are untrue, friend.

HighHorse
05-15-2013, 12:54
Wade was kidding because what he was told is wrong. The rules haven't changed, they're just widely misunderstood. Bourbon has to be at least 51% corn but there is not now nor has there ever been a maximum. Bourbon can be 100% corn. The small grains are optional. Corn whiskey has to be at least 80% corn but can also be 100% corn. Again, the small grains are optional. The difference between corn whiskey and bourbon is that bourbon must be aged in new charred barrels, whereas corn whiskey does not have to be aged. If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbon.

Somebody owes you a dollar.

Thanks! Unfortunately .. I had just read it had to be between 51 & 79% and I was on the wrong side. An inexpensive education & lesson in humility. Well ... maybe not humility! :grin:

tanstaafl2
05-16-2013, 13:02

Thanks! Unfortunately .. I had just read it had to be between 51 & 79% and I was on the wrong side. An inexpensive education & lesson in humility. Well ... maybe not humility! :grin:

So, is there such a creature? A 100% corn (or nearly 100%, maybe 95/5) mashbill aged in charred oak to make it a Bourbon, I mean?

squire
05-16-2013, 13:06
Don't know that there is but there's no reason it can't.

HighHorse
05-16-2013, 13:06
Hudson Baby Bourbon is 100% corn.

squire
05-16-2013, 13:07
Presumably they add enzymes for the starch conversion?

ramblinman
05-16-2013, 13:24
If corn whiskey is aged, it cannot be aged in new charred barrels, because that's makes it bourbonCan't be aged exclusively, right? I think I remember reading somewhere about one of the corn whiskeys (maybe a micro, so that would throw all logic out the window), was aged in a mix of old and new.

squire
05-16-2013, 14:17
Must be new barrels to be Bourbon, of course the distillery can use a mix of old and new barrels for corn whisky.

Enoch
05-16-2013, 14:31
I wonder if they will start producing Old Dispensary XXXX Corn Whiskey again?

cowdery
05-16-2013, 15:52
New uncharred barrels can be used for corn whiskey but it's almost never done due to the expense. New charred barrels cannot be used for corn whiskey, even in combination with used barrels.

Both George Dickel and Jack Daniels could market their white dog as corn whiskey, since the JD mash bill is 80/12/8 and the GD mash bill is 84/8/8.

squire
05-16-2013, 16:11
Ah, that distinction escaped me, I thought corn whisky could be aged in new charred barrels so long as it was mixed with whisky from second use barrels.