PDA

View Full Version : How much and how often do you drink?

thunderhead357
05-01-2013, 18:46
Just browsing though the how many bottles do you have open at any given time and it just made me wonder so im just curious im sure it varies a lot on the day of the week and time of year.

Alden
05-01-2013, 18:53
It's different every day. Sometimes just an oz or two, sometimes double or triple that, sometimes nothing at all. I don't have any regular habits when it comes to this.

WAINWRIGHT
05-01-2013, 18:55
Kind of an interesting first post,but I'll bite.Generally I will have a 50ml pour or two about three times a week,whether it be SMS,Bourbon,Irish or Rye it's what ever strikes me right that given day.I am also a big craft beer guy and in that regard the skys the limit,nuff said.:grin:

Alden
05-01-2013, 19:00
I believe alcoholics are compulsive drinkers who cannot get enough and don't really give a rat's ass what they are drinking as long as it has a lot of alchy in it.

thunderhead357
05-01-2013, 19:11
It's different every day. Sometimes just an oz or two, sometimes double or triple that, sometimes nothing at all. I don't have any regular habits when it comes to this.

Not sure why my other posts are not counting I haven't been on in about 8 months or so but I had quite a few at one point

savagehenry
05-01-2013, 19:13
I typically don't drink on MON or TUE.
WED-FRI usually a few small pours.
Saturday and Sunday I indulge in several small pours.

Alden
05-01-2013, 19:13
Not sure why my other posts are not counting I haven't been on in about 8 months or so but I had quite a few at one point

I'm not a mod so I have no idea. Maybe they did a board reset while you were gone.

WAINWRIGHT
05-01-2013, 19:32
Not sure why my other posts are not counting I haven't been on in about 8 months or so but I had quite a few at one pointPR&C will not add to your post count,so come join in the enthusiast side of the forum and watch your post count grow,no disrespect intended,so don't take this wrong just stating facts.:grin:

darylld911
05-01-2013, 19:36
Varies a lot - I'd say a few times a week I enjoy an ounce (typically just 1), and on the weekends perhaps a few more. When I've got a head cold or allergies, I won't bother for several days or even weeks. I have some bottles that have been open for 2+ years (and expect some will be open up to 4 or 5 years before I finish them).

Yeti
05-01-2013, 19:42
I drink whenever I want to. Sometimes I don't want to. Most of the time I do.

HighInTheMtns
05-01-2013, 19:44
I drink moderately every day but Thursday.

KyFriedChicken
05-01-2013, 19:46
I'm with Gary just a few times a week. Couple pours....maybe 3 and I'm good. A lot more when friends join, but I'm sure that's typical. Typically while I read through the forum. Just feels right. :)

KyFriedChicken
05-01-2013, 19:49
I drink moderately every day but Thursday.

You picked an interesting day to rest.

squire
05-01-2013, 19:50
Not as much or as often as I would like.

CoMobourbon
05-01-2013, 20:25
You picked an interesting day to rest.

Look again. He picked Thursday as his day to get plastered.

My drinking varies a lot as well. Overall, it averages out to 1-2 pours 2 times a week, and those tend toward the weekend. But I am pretty busy with life responsibilities right now; left to my own devices, I would probably do more like 4 times a week.

BAO
05-01-2013, 20:30
I drink some stuff sometimes.

DBM
05-01-2013, 20:36
I typically pour something on a moment's notice when time permits.... no planning involved. Usually ends up being once or twice a week, probably 3oz total (neat) in an evening unless I make cocktails on a weekend, in which case it's usually double or triple that.

HighInTheMtns
05-01-2013, 20:38
Look again. He picked Thursday as his day to get plastered.
Only when there's Rathskeller Rye to be had.

Yeti
05-01-2013, 20:43
100% of the last 1 Thursdays have been a fantastic night to get plastered.

Wryguy
05-01-2013, 20:45
Only when there's Rathskeller Rye to be had.

I'd get stucco'd, brick'd n mortar'd if that was freely at hand.

*I drink whenever I feel like it, and even when I don't. Got to know what the cocktails you're serving taste like. I average about 3-4 one ounce pours a week, in addition to occasional wine and cocktail consumption.

Jono
05-01-2013, 20:50
I am fairly light with whiskey consmuption by many of the SBers above. Counting everything, a bottle of wine over two nights, maybe a beer or two during the week (usually if we go out) and maybe a small shot - usually on a Friday or Saturday (this excludes get togethers, holidays etc). In the summer I may have some rum etc.
Some weeks go by without a lot of alcohol of any type. I try to watch the amount and savor what I drink.

Danger
05-01-2013, 21:12
This is much more tempered than I expected from the forums. I'm in for a nightcap 5 or 6 nights a week.

squire
05-01-2013, 21:31
My doctor friends automatically double the amount their patients claim to drink.

smknjoe
05-01-2013, 21:34
My doctor friends automatically double the amount their patients claim to drink.

How else are they supposed to put up with their patients?

Yeti
05-01-2013, 21:38
Just read through the "what are you drinking?" threads and you'll get the answer I think you're looking for.

jcg9779
05-01-2013, 21:39
4 or 5 times a week. Sometimes a single small pour and sometimes more

TheNovaMan
05-01-2013, 22:33
It's a rare night that I don't have at least a little bourbon........ just don't tell that to my doctor! ;)

Restaurant man
05-01-2013, 22:45
100% of the last 1 Thursdays have been a fantastic night to get plastered.

Amen! Hell I might even go back 2 Thursday's. But I'm not able to humor any questions from an alcoholic on the next one

HighInTheMtns
05-02-2013, 00:07
It's a rare night that I don't have at least a little bourbon........ just don't tell that to my doctor! ;)
A gentleman I know once told me that doctor is not its own word - only the second half of a two word phrase. The first word starts with "F".

Alden
05-02-2013, 04:19

Cause they know people lie.

Tony
05-02-2013, 04:39
Been not drinking Monday through Thursday. Friday to Sunday probably 10 ounces or more each day.

Best regards, Tony

Alden
05-02-2013, 05:01
One thing I have stopped doing entirely is the "nightcap". I have trouble sleeping if I go to sleep with even a moderate amount of alchy in my veins.

I have apnea and use a CPAP anyway, so I don't need any more problems in that department.

Usually I cut myself off at 6, sometimes I'll push it to 7 - 7:30.

tmckenzie
05-02-2013, 05:05
I enjoy drinking, it relaxes me after a hard day, sometimes I do feel the need to take a drink, but I go months sometimes without drinking. At my hardest drinking point, I drank a pint a night. Too much, I have 3, 4 ozs now. I have to watch it, alcoholism run in my family bigtime. But I know how to handle it. Biggst thing I get asked is, I bet you drink all day, since I make it. Nope, never do I drink on the job. All y work is by nose and sight. And barrel samples I need to try to see if they are ready, I drink at night.

SMOWK
05-02-2013, 07:52
I usually partake in 6 or 10 ounces daily.

michang5
05-02-2013, 08:00
Ever since I tried my first bourbon in February, I've had at least two 2-oz. pours just about every night. I've probably taken a total of 5-7 nights off during that time.

Interesting this is that I've only had two non-bourbon drinks during that time — a vodka tonic and a margarita — and both just made me think how much better bourbon is.

squire
05-02-2013, 08:02
I rarely drink after midnight or before 6:00 am.

Brisko
05-02-2013, 08:17
I usually drink between 1 and 4 oz daily. Usually around 2.

I when discussing my consumption with my doctor and she started doing the math, "Let's see, 4 oz, at 80 proof...."

80 proof. Yeah. That's the ticket.:skep:

I chose not to correct her.:grin:

mosugoji64
05-02-2013, 08:43
I try to avoid drinking on work nights. Like Alden, I have trouble sleeping soundly if I imbibe too close to bedtime so a little extra sleep time the next day is a must. It's usually 3-4 1oz pours on other nights. Seems I don't produce as much aldehyde dehydrogenase as some of my brethren here. Too bad there's not a supplement. :grin:

mosugoji64
05-02-2013, 08:45

Good policy you have there, Squire. :lol:

squire
05-02-2013, 08:45
Yeah, if you tell 'em one small glass of wine a day they start that alcohol percentage body weight calculation like that applies equally to all.

Jono
05-02-2013, 10:09
I usually partake in 6 or 10 ounces daily.

6-10 oz of whiskey?

gatsby
05-02-2013, 10:12
I don't have a fixed routine but I drink at least a small pour almost every night. Sometimes i'll take a few nights off or drink some wine instead.

Yeti
05-02-2013, 12:34
6-10 oz of whiskey?

Sounds about right. :cool:

Flyfish
05-02-2013, 12:56

When he was Prime Minister, Winston Churchill's daily routine began with the paperwork while he was still in bed. And with some Johnny Walker. Then he took a bath--with both his papers (??) and JW. With lunch he always made a point of having a bottle of vintage Champagne. In the afternoon, he continued to work--with more JW. With dinner there was wine and after dinner some port. And over conversation with staff and guests until 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. more whisky just to keep his tonsils lubricated.
It is reported that he was rarely under the influence, probably because he sipped his Scotch with water. Eventually, though, all that liquor took its toll. Winston S. Churchill, 1874-1965. Only 91 and dead far too young.

Meruck
05-02-2013, 12:57
I respecfully refuse to answer based on my fear that my wife may know my SB login.

AaronWF
05-02-2013, 13:11
I drink more. More than I used to.

wmpevans
05-02-2013, 13:39
When he was Prime Minister, Winston Churchill's daily routine began with the paperwork while he was still in bed. And with some Johnny Walker. Then he took a bath--with both his papers (??) and JW. With lunch he always made a point of having a bottle of vintage Champagne. In the afternoon, he continued to work--with more JW. With dinner there was wine and after dinner some port. And over conversation with staff and guests until 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. more whisky just to keep his tonsils lubricated.
It is reported that he was rarely under the influence, probably because he sipped his Scotch with water. Eventually, though, all that liquor took its toll. Winston S. Churchill, 1874-1965. Only 91 and dead far too young.

One of the most brilliant orators in history, and a real character. Some of his quotes such as this one to Lady Astor are classic:

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”;

or this exchange with British pol Bessie Braddock:

“Sir, you’re drunk!” “Yes madam, but you are ugly and disgustingly fat, but in the morning, I shall be sober.”

It seems the more Sir Winston drank, the wittier he became. I wish that were true in all of us, but in the interim

Drink on, and Cheers.

T Comp
05-02-2013, 14:36
This inquiry comes up every year or two which is perplexing as one's answer is basically meaningless. Healthy consumption and tolerance differs greatly per person based on many variables.

VT Mike
05-02-2013, 15:00
I believe alcoholics are compulsive drinkers who cannot get enough and don't really give a rat's ass what they are drinking as long as it has a lot of alchy in it.

That's probably true in most cases, but a friend of mine was a blazing alcohol about 12 years ago and had good taste. He was happy to share too, that's how I got turned on to Maker's and Knob Creek. Every Friday night he would drink a fifth of Sauza Hornitos and a 22oz Corona, no glassware was involved.

As for myself, it's pretty sporadic but probably averages to three drinks a day, maybe a little less. I just try to avoid drinking enough to be hungover.

Jono
05-02-2013, 15:11
This inquiry comes up every year or two which is perplexing as one's answer is basically meaningless. Healthy consumption and tolerance differs greatly per person based on many variables.

Yes and no. Unless you know where you lie on the J point curve it is a roll of the dice. Sure, as with smoking, some are genetically able to handle and live long lives whereas others die at 52. Unless one knows - which is really impossible (even if grandpa lived to 101) - a responsible person must weigh the risks. Some of the responses are eye opening, but hey, as long as some of you aren't driving and posing a risk to others, it is your life. Personally, light use generally to moderate on occasion, describes my usage.

Richnimrod
05-02-2013, 15:56
PR&C will not add to your post count,so come join in the enthusiast side of the forum and watch your post count grow,no disrespect intended,so don't take this wrong just stating facts.:grin:

What's PR&C??? Some of you guys use so darn many acronyms and abreviations it's tough for a newbie such as myself to understand waht's being communicated sometimes. ....Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

callmeox
05-02-2013, 15:59
What's PR&C??? Some of you guys use so darn many acronyms and abreviations it's tough for a newbie such as myself to understand waht's being communicated sometimes. ....Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

If you don't know, then do yourself a favor and don't bother to find out. It's not worth the effort nor is the knowledge of any use.

I'm serious.

Richnimrod
05-02-2013, 16:00
Not as much or as often as I would like.

I'm with ya' Squire! I had a medical issue that kept me off altogether for about 3-months. Now I'm told to "limit alcohol". ....Whatever that means. I wish I could taste a dram or two every day; but for me it's a couple times a week and small pours each time.... too bad. On the upside my stash will last a very long time! :rolleyes:

ER07
05-02-2013, 17:34
I'll usually have an oz or two about 5 nights of the week. I attribute not getting sick all winter long and not getting my allergies this spring to the whiskey and no one can tell me otherwise ;)

Balcones Winston
05-02-2013, 17:38
I'll usually have an oz or two about 5 nights of the week. I attribute not getting sick all winter long and not getting my allergies this spring to the whiskey and no one can tell me otherwise ;)
The doctor said I should be drinking more whiskey.

Also, I'm calling myself "the doctor" now.

darylld911
05-02-2013, 17:53
A couple made the point about not drinking just prior to bed - I have the same issue where if I'm enjoying a pour much past 7pm, I won't sleep well that night. Unless that pour takes place in a gazebo, and is followed by many others :lol: Which sorta sucks, as it is the nights when I work longer hours that I wouldn't mind a bit. Oh well - absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

Gillman
05-02-2013, 18:03
The title of this thread reminded me of the "Bermuda" entry in Frederick Martin's Encyclopedia of Drinks and Drinking, published in England in the late 1960's. This book is one of my favourites in the canon devoted to, well, drinks and drinking. In this pre-Internet age, Martin wrote to contacts in various countries to inquire what was consumed there and the associated customs. The reply from Bermuda: "A great deal all the time". :)

Gary

Danger
05-02-2013, 20:26
A couple made the point about not drinking just prior to bed - I have the same issue where if I'm enjoying a pour much past 7pm, I won't sleep well that night.
Brutal. A proofy bourbon in the evening to wind down is sublime.

Restaurant man
05-02-2013, 20:55
A couple made the point about not drinking just prior to bed - I have the same issue where if I'm enjoying a pour much past 7pm, I won't sleep well that night. Unless that pour takes place in a gazebo, and is followed by many others :lol: Which sorta sucks, as it is the nights when I work longer hours that I wouldn't mind a bit. Oh well - absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

Never touch the stuff until at least 9 pm. Too damn busy. After 9 all bets are off. After all I've got a mini gazebo in my house. :grin:

TheOakMonster
05-02-2013, 22:07
Working in a retail wines and spirits store, I've developed some perspective on alcohol consumption and alcoholism... No, not my own "heavy" drinking but from my reuglar customers. A lot of people drink A LOT. Really, there's tons of people drinking more, daily, than you can even begin to fathom--we're talking a liter or more of vodka or whiskey each and every day. More vodka a day, than I drink water. And, most of these people still function and hold down normal jobs. And it's not just hard liquor drinkers, but wine drinkers too--some purchase and drink a case a week. Even with a partner, that's nearly a bottle per person, per day. That's not an insignificant amount.

So, yeah, people are hitting the bottle far, far worse than me. Nonetheless, I'm always careful to regulate my own drinking. I do drink alcohol daily--whether it's beer, cider, wine, or whiskey--but rarely drink more than one drink each "weeknight" and a couple on the weekend. In other words, my pace of alcohol drinking is more likely to make me tired, thnt buzzed. Nonetheless, I'm still very conscious of the fact that I drink alcohol daily and I consciously evaluate my drinking habits to make sure I'm not sliding into reckless and unhealthy behavior.

I'll also mention, that people on this board seem to drink in considerable moderation compared to the people on the home-brewing boards. Many of those guys are brewing (and, in turn, drinking) 5-10 gallons of beer a week. That's crazy! I brew a bit myself and refuse to consider home-kegging my beer, because access to beer-on-tap in my apartment seems like it'd lead down an ugly road.

tigerlam92
05-02-2013, 22:55
Not sure if others have this problem but I usually go through wave where I have period of time I have something close to daily then a period of time where I do a pour every so often only.

On the wave where I drink, then it's usually 1-2 pours unless I just bought something or I do a side by side or a flight then it could be up to four pours.

If I frequent SB.com, I'm probably having daily pours. :)

Cheers
Hugh

ChainWhip
05-02-2013, 23:43
My pours @ home are small - typically ~0.5oz or less & I will have 2 to 3 of these pours so I can sample more whiskies.

I'd say I probably have that amount 5-7 days a week.

I tend not to order drinks (with the exception of beer) when I go out unless its on somebody else's expense account - but if I drink when I'm out, I haven't combined that with any pours @ home during a given day/night.

black mamba
05-03-2013, 00:28
I normally have from 2 to 8 oz. of whiskey, 5 or 6 days a week. 80% of the time it's bourbon, 10% each Irish and Scotch. In addition to this I usually have a bottle of wine a week, and maybe a beer or two. I consider this moderate. When I taught in public school, I used to go through a couple handles of Crawford's or Usher's a week.

skidfive
05-03-2013, 01:58
I am usually drinking about 4-8oz a day during the span of 6-7 hours at home. my work is only 2 minutes away from home, so including work time and drive time i only have about 9 hours of busy time a day. the other 7 hours I am usually home relaxing (given 8 hours for sleep).

I do often have days where I don't feel like drinking anything though.

Alden
05-03-2013, 04:56
I normally have from 2 to 8 oz. of whiskey, 5 or 6 days a week. 80% of the time it's bourbon, 10% each Irish and Scotch. In addition to this I usually have a bottle of wine a week, and maybe a beer or two. I consider this moderate. When I taught in public school, I used to go through a couple handles of Crawford's or Usher's a week.

That's a wee bit more than moderate to me.

I'm a public school teacher, and I completely understand.

SMOWK
05-03-2013, 09:29
6-10 oz of whiskey?

That's right. And always over 100 proof.

portwood
05-03-2013, 10:08
Working in a retail wines and spirits store, I've developed some perspective on alcohol consumption and alcoholism...
Purchasing and drinking aren't necessarily the same thing. Since I started buying/collecting whisky three years ago I've bought about 4 times more than I drink. The pattern for wine has been about half that - purchase 2, drink 1.

Obviously, not many people are stockpiling Absolut or Jack Daniels, but for vintage wines and "premium" whisk(e)y the story may be different.

KyFriedChicken
05-03-2013, 10:35
Purchasing and drinking aren't necessarily the same thing. Since I started buying/collecting whisky three years ago I've bought about 4 times more than I drink. The pattern for wine has been about half that - purchase 2, drink 1.

Obviously, not many people are stockpiling Absolut or Jack Daniels, but for vintage wines and "premium" whisk(e)y the story may be different.

I agree. If you just went by what I purchased to base my drinking from I would need a liver transplant right about now. 70% collection/bar stock and about 30% consumption.

Halifax
05-03-2013, 10:46
They don't call them daily drinkers for nothing... ;)

Jono
05-03-2013, 11:01

Good luck with that.

Alden
05-03-2013, 14:13
Good luck with that.

:lol:

Liver transplants are easy in, easy out these days. No problemo!

squire
05-03-2013, 15:01
I wouldn't say that I drink more than previously but I certainly don't drink less.

Alden
05-03-2013, 15:31
I wouldn't say that I drink more than previously but I certainly don't drink less.

Are you making all these up?

deerhuntre
05-03-2013, 15:47
Gee, now that you ask, I must have at least ten different pours open in the cabinet and I literally stand there for several minutes contemplating what I'm in the mood to taste, opening various bottles and taking a wiff, while trying to decide. I've already asked two different people to help me decide what to pour after playing hockey this evening! But I digress.

I pour 1.5 oz each time, and probably three to five days per week. One to three times per week, I pour a double, 3 oz. And with friends, or special occasions, such as bowling league, sporting events, etc, I pack the 3.5 oz flask.

squire
05-03-2013, 15:50
Yes Alden, I am sui generis.

darylld911
05-03-2013, 15:53
Never touch the stuff until at least 9 pm. Too damn busy. After 9 all bets are off. After all I've got a mini gazebo in my house. :grin:

Ideally, I'm turning in around 9pm so I can get up at 4:30am. But on the plus side, on a good day I'm back home at 5pm with nowhere else to go :lol: And my house is a far cry from a mini gazebo (unless you ask my wife, whose never seen the gazebo but doesn't understand how any one person can have more than 10-20 bottles of whiskey - let alone 40+). I think I may have to hide the ETL when it comes in :grin:

Alden
05-03-2013, 16:07
Yes Alden, I am sui generis.

You are indeed unique.

Jono
05-03-2013, 16:50
:lol:

Liver transplants are easy in, easy out these days. No problemo!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/scientists-develop-pill-to-lower-blood-alcohol-content-and-reduce-liver-damage/story-fneuz9ev-1226579808742

Scientists develop pill to lower blood alcohol content and reduce liver damage
Rosie Squires
News Limited Network
February 18, 2013 12:00AM

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/scientists-develop-pill-to-lower-blood-alcohol-content-and-reduce-liver-damage/story-fneuz9ev-1226579808742#ixzz2SGyKteDm

http://health.ninemsn.com/healthnews/8612392/new-pill-could-cut-hangovers-and-undo-alcohol-damage

Health
New pill could cut hangovers and undo alcohol damage: research
Kimberly Gillan
Monday, February 18, 2013

Alden
05-03-2013, 17:17
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/scientists-develop-pill-to-lower-blood-alcohol-content-and-reduce-liver-damage/story-fneuz9ev-1226579808742

Scientists develop pill to lower blood alcohol content and reduce liver damage
Rosie Squires
News Limited Network
February 18, 2013 12:00AM

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/scientists-develop-pill-to-lower-blood-alcohol-content-and-reduce-liver-damage/story-fneuz9ev-1226579808742#ixzz2SGyKteDm

http://health.ninemsn.com/healthnews/8612392/new-pill-could-cut-hangovers-and-undo-alcohol-damage

Health
New pill could cut hangovers and undo alcohol damage: research
Kimberly Gillan
Monday, February 18, 2013

Science can solve all our problems. There it is.

squire
05-03-2013, 17:22
I don't consider alcohol in me a problem, lack of it would be a problem.

ethangsmith
05-03-2013, 18:24
This is probably going to be the strangest reply here.

Growing up I was always cold, too skinny, and always sick with something. I had lots of stomach and intestinal issues too. As I got older (early 20's), winters became intolerable for me. I was literally sick from November to April with flus, colds, and stomach bugs. I couldn't be out in the cold for more than a few minutes without extreme pain in my hands, face, and feet. I finally consulted the help of my doctor. It was determined after some testing that I have Raynaud's Syndrome. This is a "disease" where your body does not respond to cold or stress the proper way and leads to very poor circulation. The doctor believed that the poor blood circulation led to a lack of white blood cells being where they needed to be to fight infection and also put extreme stress on my circulatory system- which also made my body burn up its energy at a rapid rate. He gave me three options- 1. Take Aspirin. This would thin my blood, but not deal with the constriction of my blood vessels. 2. Go on prescription meds. He strongly urged me not to do this since it was expensive and the side effects could be bad. 3. Drink in moderation. He said if it was not against my religious beliefs, daily alcohol consumption could be very beneficial and not only thin my blood slightly, but also allow my veins to relax a bit. He warned against the effects of too much alcohol and told me that I should only take this route if I had good self-control. I tried the Aspirin, but it didn't work. I noticed little change and if anything, it started to thin my blood too much. So then I tried a shot of whiskey each day. It took a few weeks, but the change was dramatic. Not only did I tolerate the cold much better, but I was SIGNIFICANTLY healthier. I've gone from a dozen bouts of sickness per winter to maybe one or two. I also am now a proper weight and my digestive system is in the best order its been ever. I believe in the power of whiskey and I respect it like a medicine! What do I consume each day? I may have a Yuengling beer with dinner if I'm in the mood, then before bed, I have 2-4ozs of whiskey. I had started consuming more (Maybe 4-6ozs) but I started feeling crappy and I found it started to affect me adversely so I am scaling back. I've had seasonal allergies the past few days and I've been taking medicine, so no alcohol for me right now! I NEVER take medicine and consume alcohol at the same time!

HighHorse
05-03-2013, 19:32
What an extraordinary story, Ethan. I hope you find a good bottle from time to time for that good doctor. How many years have you been on this routine now?

It's good to hear that drinking this lovely elixir in moderation really does have some health benefits.

Cheers .. and .. to your health my friend!

mosugoji64
05-03-2013, 23:10

I've seen the man drink. He can hold his liquor.

Special Reserve
05-04-2013, 06:39
Ethan what a great story, the diagnosis should have been easy, but the remedy much less so. I'm glad you had a clinician that could think outside of the box.

Jono
05-04-2013, 09:46
This is probably going to be the strangest reply here.

Growing up I was always cold, too skinny, and always sick with something. I had lots of stomach and intestinal issues too. As I got older (early 20's), winters became intolerable for me. I was literally sick from November to April with flus, colds, and stomach bugs. I couldn't be out in the cold for more than a few minutes without extreme pain in my hands, face, and feet. I finally consulted the help of my doctor. It was determined after some testing that I have Raynaud's Syndrome. This is a "disease" where your body does not respond to cold or stress the proper way and leads to very poor circulation. The doctor believed that the poor blood circulation led to a lack of white blood cells being where they needed to be to fight infection and also put extreme stress on my circulatory system- which also made my body burn up its energy at a rapid rate. He gave me three options- 1. Take Aspirin. This would thin my blood, but not deal with the constriction of my blood vessels. 2. Go on prescription meds. He strongly urged me not to do this since it was expensive and the side effects could be bad. 3. Drink in moderation. He said if it was not against my religious beliefs, daily alcohol consumption could be very beneficial and not only thin my blood slightly, but also allow my veins to relax a bit. He warned against the effects of too much alcohol and told me that I should only take this route if I had good self-control. I tried the Aspirin, but it didn't work. I noticed little change and if anything, it started to thin my blood too much. So then I tried a shot of whiskey each day. It took a few weeks, but the change was dramatic. Not only did I tolerate the cold much better, but I was SIGNIFICANTLY healthier. I've gone from a dozen bouts of sickness per winter to maybe one or two. I also am now a proper weight and my digestive system is in the best order its been ever. I believe in the power of whiskey and I respect it like a medicine! What do I consume each day? I may have a Yuengling beer with dinner if I'm in the mood, then before bed, I have 2-4ozs of whiskey. I had started consuming more (Maybe 4-6ozs) but I started feeling crappy and I found it started to affect me adversely so I am scaling back. I've had seasonal allergies the past few days and I've been taking medicine, so no alcohol for me right now! I NEVER take medicine and consume alcohol at the same time!

Alcohol can aggravate Raynaud'd too so it is a delicate balance:

"Alcohol Consumption
Smoking, Alcohol and Raynaud's. Heavy alcohol consumption was independently associated with increased odds of Raynaud's among women and red wine consumption was associated with reduced odds of Raynaud's. Men who drank red wine also had a lower prevalence of the condition than those who did not. Smoking negated the positive effects of moderate red wine consumption in men. Arthritis Foundation."

"Dr. Fredrick Wigley responds:

Alcohol is a mild vasodilator, and it can relax the body and make one feel warm. However, alcohol has several side effects and is not recommended for Raynaud’s; its use should be limited to modest amounts..."

Smoking is the key thing to quit.

Alden
05-04-2013, 10:44
Red wine has reservatol in it. Liquor and beer do not.

ethangsmith
05-04-2013, 19:13
Thanks guys. As for smoking, I maybe have 1 cigar a year and that's it. I have found that too much alcohol consumption does adversely affect the Raynaud's. I found that no more than 2 2oz. shots is just right. More than that, I start to notice the relaxation become constriction. This is a great problem to have as it limits my alcohol consumption and my body makes it clear when it's had enough! As for my doctor, he does not drink. It is a conservative Christian practice and few of the doctors there drink. I have much respect and trust for them.

ethangsmith
05-04-2013, 19:15
As for how long I've been doing this- 4 years. I went from a sickly 120 pounds to 150 healthy pounds since then.

TheRod
05-04-2013, 20:20
Sorry. Posted in the wrong thread.

Danger
05-04-2013, 21:20
Congrats on finding that solution, Smith, and love that solution.

Pieface
05-05-2013, 06:45

How else are they supposed to put up with their patients?

Why do nuggets of gold like this go unappreciated?

Eggman
05-09-2013, 20:26
Howdy,

1.5-2.0 oz. nightcap 5 days per week. Mixed with 2 cubes and equal amount of cola. Liquid sleeping pill :)

bllygthrd
05-10-2013, 16:32
LOL ... what a question ...

I've started watching Mad Men on Netflix, and have adopted Don Draper behavior ... I have a cocktail when I get home, and another cocktail before I retire, 7 days a week. So to quantify ... 2 shots a day.

No, I haven't started a wet bar in my office and I don't drink at work (yet).

theDon
05-10-2013, 21:35
Boilermaker +1 shot. So basically a bourbon sandwich with bourbon as the bread and the beer as the meat. 8 days a week!

ratcheer
05-11-2013, 07:31
I don't drink everyday and on days when I do drink, I rarely have over two drinks and I have a hard limit of three. But usually just one.

Tim