PDA

View Full Version : Amusing, yet scary...

tanstaafl2
05-07-2013, 10:26
The latest post on the K&L Spirits Journal (http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2013/5/7/robert-parker-tackles-bourbon.html) has a copy of Robert Parker of wine fame(?) giving his reviews on Bourbon!

Really on top of that GTS! It is indeed pushing 100 proof...

And I am guessing as David did that "Rollins Creek" is supposed to be Rowan's Creek. He must have really enjoyed drinking that one!

I guess we better stock up on the Old Bardstown Black Label before the masses clear it out! Or KBD changes the source.

Although at least we share some common ground with Hudson Baby Bourbon. I didn't much care for that one either.

Just what we need to get the latest craze chasers to suck up for no discernable reason what little quality bourbon is out there...

suntour
05-07-2013, 10:36
This is an extremely unfortunate development.

savagehenry
05-07-2013, 10:45
Wow he gave some of those some ridiculously high scores.
Hudson sucked - 82 points

enn
05-07-2013, 10:56
I don't even know where to go with this line:

They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire. It is a silky smooth blend displaying hints of a Highland-like peatiness intermixed with sweet caramel, subtle wood smoke and spice box.

portwood
05-07-2013, 11:05
For the newcomers to Bourbon: more scary than amusing.
Those with well stocked bunkers have a tough decision to make: laugh at the feeding frenzy while drinking the nectar, OR sell and use the profits to retire.

Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey; Bottled 12/27/12; 93 proof; from the Blanton Distillery Co., Frankfort, KY with no indication of age; Packaged in a squat, designer bottle with a horse and jockey on the cork-finished top.
Smoky, woodsy, caramelized flavors of brown sugar, honey and maple syrup include a hint of wood. With a light to medium amber color, a full-bodied, gorgeously textured, fleshy, broad, savory mouthfeel, and no harshness, this is either a brilliant master blend or a bourbon with some serious age.

Sad ...

squire
05-07-2013, 11:12
Stop the presses, Mr. Parker has discovered Bourbon.

omgmarclol
05-07-2013, 11:51

They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire. It is a silky smooth blend displaying hints of a Highland-like peatiness intermixed with sweet caramel, subtle wood smoke and spice box.

when we met dave perkins at delilah's during whiskey week, he did confirm that the scotch element in campfire was a highland...

tanstaafl2
05-07-2013, 11:59

when we met dave perkins at delilah's during whiskey week, he did confirm that the scotch element in campfire was a highland...

Yes, Highlands can sometimes have a soft peaty characteristic that is somewhat different from the brasher Islay/Island style more typically associated with peat. Glendronach 15 Revival has a bit of that. So I will give him a pass on that one.

Besides there is so much more to make fun of!

:lol:

T Comp
05-07-2013, 12:03
Mr. Parker has many wines rated 90 plus that shouldn't be but yeah this will certainly feed the frenzy for another year. Something about Blanton's that attracts the wine guys too. A few years back Gary Vaynerchuk was raving about it. I know a certified sommelier who believes it and Eagle Rare are the best bourbons.

Meruck
05-07-2013, 12:22
......................... Something about Blanton's that attracts the wine guys too. A few years back Gary Vaynerchuk was raving about it. .............

Its that cute little man on the horsey.................................

squire
05-07-2013, 12:43
Blantons deserves the accolades, I've seen it beat out 20 year Pappy in a blind tasting.

Dolph Lundgren
"In the mouth, it is elegant by bourbon standards, silky smooth and persistent as well as surprisingly subtle, gracious and refined. If that's what you're looking for, and persistent as well as surprisingly subtle, gracious and refined. If that's what you're looking for, give this bourbon a try, but its understated personality will be something you either love or find lacking"

You know, if that's what your looking for...

HighHorse
You just can't escape the fact that bourbon is an exceptional spirit. And when you have "brand ambassadors" running around trying to peddle the millions of barrels that are aging in the hills of Kentucky and elsewhere, it's inevitable that we'll be seeing articles like this popping up. I, for one, enjoy seeing a guy dipping into this stuff and discovering how damn good it is. Is it puppy love? Perhaps it will keep his readers busy chasing the elusive and oversold and overeverythingelse Pappy while we bunker up. Bourbon Survivors unite! I'm just thankful he didn't get a hold of a bottle of OGD.... oh, never mind. :lol:

portwood
05-07-2013, 12:54
I'm just thankful he didn't get a hold of a bottle of OGD....
The packaging* isn't sexy enough for him so it would probably get a terrible score - which in Parker's world is anything in the mid 80's.

* notice how often he refers to the bottle/packaging in the reviews?

Grain Belt
05-07-2013, 12:57
I found it interesting that his entry to tasting were certainly not "entry level" bourbons. It would be like starting a "wine newby" on 45-60 dollar wines on up to a 200 dollar bottle of Opus One or even higher. God forbid that you would start with a 15 dollar wine that is representative of a grape variety. It reminds me of a song with the lyrics "down here with the rest of us." Those so inclined should raise a glass of mid to lower shelf bourbon in honor of Mr. Parker this evening. He will not be bothering us where the working class sipper resides.

PaulO
05-07-2013, 13:06
Articles like this really make me appreciate SB.com and the wonderful people that contribute. :toast:

Dolph Lundgren
05-07-2013, 13:15
Blantons deserves the accolades, I've seen it beat out 20 year Pappy in a blind tasting.

Those blind tasters have the most refined palates. Too bad they cant see the bottle like Robert - the whiskeys could have scored themselves a couple more points!

callmeox
05-07-2013, 13:48
How is a wine guy reviewing bourbon any more of a negative impact on supply than the dozens of who have shown that it only takes a computer and spare time to start a whiskey blog and be seen as an "expert"?

tanstaafl2
05-07-2013, 13:56
How is a wine guy reviewing bourbon any more of a negative impact on supply than the dozens of who have shown that it only takes a computer and spare time to start a whiskey blog and be seen as an "expert"?

Mostly because of which wine guy it is. He is the "Oprah" of wine guys who has a following that is likely to respond in a Pavlovian manner that could easily spread amongst the ever powerful onslaught of roobs!
:bigeyes:

Or something like that...

David D
05-07-2013, 14:07

Robert Parker on an average day has more of an impact on booze economics than the impact of every blog post ever written, taken from every single blogger since the invention of the internet, added together, and multiplied by 1,000.

callmeox
05-07-2013, 15:29
Heh, hyperbole need not apply.

As I scanned the bottles listed in your blog post, there's not one that I would miss if the Johnny Come Lately wine drinkers bought up every last retail bottle.

Cowdery did more damage to bourbon availability with his recent blog about value bottles, IMO.

Let the retailers answer the countless Pappy and BTAC calls if it keeps noobs out of the middle to lower shelf zone. :thumbup:

MyOldKyDram
05-07-2013, 15:37
Mostly I'd agree, save the 4R SmB, which I already expect to be tougher to find this year. This surely won't make it any easier.

darylld911
05-07-2013, 16:18

I guess he's popular when it comes to wine, but anyone whose scale has a broad range of 82-100 (really - nothing lower than an 82, and way too many north of 95??) to me is a nincompoop. I know tastes differ, and also that a lot of sheeple out there will shop "by the score" without reading any details. Let them stupid folks stroll past any Handy, Stagg, PHC 2012, or FR2012LESmB in order to get the primo stuff with higher scores - like ER10, Old Bardstown Black Label, and Noah's Mill.

I find this a sad commentary on our times, that "celebrity" requires not "credibility" (which is not for a minute to insinuate I know anything more than he does on the topic - but if Old Bardstown Black Label was a better dram than PHC2012 - I think the invisible hand of the market would have cleared the shelves of the stuff a long time ago).

On the plus side - maybe now they will :lol:

Old Dusty
05-07-2013, 17:07

Thank goodness for squire as the voice of reason on these boards. He is always the champion of the under appreciated value pours or just plain common sense.The rest of us benefit from him calling us back form the siren song of the Pappy and BTACs of the bourbon world. Thanks squire!

Old Dusty
05-07-2013, 17:16
And to clarify, Blanton's is not a value pour except when compared to current retail (or secondary market) for Pappy 20!

T Comp
05-07-2013, 17:19
Okay my last post on the subject but I'm with David D and Bruce's title word "scary". Who knows the long tem effect. I feel American whiskey is ultimately too difficult to remain uber popular but for the man who made wine the massively popular drink it is today, to now endorse Bourbon and so strongly...pre Parker and post Parker are terms we may get to know well.

smknjoe
05-07-2013, 17:24
I feel American whiskey is ultimately too difficult to remain uber popular

Thad, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?

WAINWRIGHT
05-07-2013, 17:31
More madness and blind directed reviews towards the upper eschelon of the bourbon world:rolleyes:..... it will effect us in no such way that I see as invasive,oh and when did Henry Rollins release his own label?

MyOldKyDram
05-07-2013, 17:39
Black Maple Flag.

smknjoe
05-07-2013, 17:48
...and Jello Biafra has a wine called "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Grapes" :grin:

P&MLiquorsEric
05-07-2013, 17:53
I agree with David D. Parker has more power within the booze industry than any other person.

I can't believe he didn't run his post by someone more familiar with whiskey.

Let's see how much press gets before we jump to conclusions or declare martial law.

T Comp
05-07-2013, 18:25
Thad, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate?

Bourbon (and other wood aged and drunk neat spirits) are difficult for even the more knowlegable American alcohol drink consumer because of its higher proof, lesser amount of liquid per serving and those persisting congener or wood flavor components we love. I expect many will be intrigued by what Parker wrote but after an initial bottle or two they will delegate it to sit besides the Bailey's as an after dinner pour following a special dinner. No different in some respects to the fact that no matter how popular craft beers or double IPAs have become the last stat I saw is that they still make up only 5% of the beer market.

BigBoldBully
05-07-2013, 19:41
The sky is falling. The baby sharks are circling.

I may have swum into the deep end of bourbon post-SW, but at least I managed to build a modest bunker pre-Parker!

Lazer
05-07-2013, 20:06
I didn't read the post, just scanned the scores and saw that everything was in the 90's and decided I didn't want to puke tonight, so I'm not reading it.

HighHorse
05-07-2013, 20:29
Before we crown Mr. Parker God of all things poured into a tulip glass .. peruse an amusing and, IMO, accurate response to his stumbling entry into bourbon: http://www.scotchandicecream.com/

What am I drinking tonight? A dram of Rollins and I'll give it a 99!

compliance
05-07-2013, 20:41
This news is really bringing out the worst in our hobby today. Between here and the blogs that have been posting about it there's been nothing but contempt and snark for Parker. As much fun as it is to poke holes in his reviews, and yes he should have researched and got his facts straight, I'm going to welcome him and those he brings with. I didn't know crap when I started drinking bourbon either. If he turns some people onto bourbon and they find something they like because of it that's great news. It's not a secret society any more. The critical mass of public awareness has already passed and this was only a matter of time. We should get ready to welcome some new members.

darylld911
05-08-2013, 02:06
This news is really bringing out the worst in our hobby today. Between here and the blogs that have been posting about it there's been nothing but contempt and snark for Parker. As much fun as it is to poke holes in his reviews, and yes he should have researched and got his facts straight, I'm going to welcome him and those he brings with. I didn't know crap when I started drinking bourbon either. If he turns some people onto bourbon and they find something they like because of it that's great news. It's not a secret society any more. The critical mass of public awareness has already passed and this was only a matter of time. We should get ready to welcome some new members.

I welcome all of the sheeple he brings in his wake of nonsense. I'm always glad to meet a bourbon fan, but from what I read - he isn't. What I saw (YMMV) is someone with an inflated opinion of their own self importance selling out to certain labels. I honestly got the impression that he seemed slighted that more people might be aware of PVW than some of the wines he raves about, so he felt the need to "get in the game". I personally think PVW is over-hyped, so that part doesn't bother me. Again - I'd love to have folks walk by the 20120 FRSmBLE in order to grab that last Noah's Mill on the shelf as they sing the high praises of Parker the Great. If their research into the matter is to take his word as gospel, they get what they deserve.

joboyd
05-08-2013, 06:16
"George T. Stagg
A tall, narrow bottle is striking as is the vibrant stag horn label. I forgot to write down the alcohol of this bourbon, but I assume it is pushing 100 proof given its powerful, rustic and rugged style."

Wow.

compliance
05-08-2013, 07:38
"George T. Stagg
A tall, narrow bottle is striking as is the vibrant stag horn label. I forgot to write down the alcohol of this bourbon, but I assume it is pushing 100 proof given its powerful, rustic and rugged style."

Wow.

That was the highlight for me too. I wonder if he realized it was around 140 if his rating would have been higher. It's a velvet bazooka.

HighHorse
05-08-2013, 08:26

So you're surprised that a board that is home to people who make every attempt to expand our knowledge of this spirit would rail against some arrogant guy attempting to parade himself as an expert. He got little right, compliance. So it's not the "news" that brings out the worst in our "hobby" .. it's misinformation from a purported expert. We don't hesitate to call each other out when one of us makes some sort of a mistake. We are quick to point out facts. None of us is free of being criticized so why should Parker be given a pass?

We're always ready to welcome new members and we do it daily. One thing's for sure though .. those new members coming on to SB will not see a mistake-riddled review of bourbons posted on this board without prompt and well-intended corrections and/or criticism.

Give Parker a big hug and welcome and a pass if you like. I think he owes his readership an apology. No pass here.

Lazer
05-08-2013, 08:37

I also welcome people being misinformed about bourbon. Why should they taste it and make their own opinions when they can just read about it. Sometimes when I don't have time to take a ski vacation, I just read skiing magazines. Its just as exhilarating.

Danger
05-08-2013, 08:58
Parker stepped in it. It's irritating that he wouldn't spend a bit more energy getting it right. Perhaps he still views whisky drinkers as second-class to wine drinkers and therefore does not warrant a more careful review, or maybe it's just arrogance. Either way, though, I think the PR and infusion of new drinkers will only benefit the bourbon ecosystem in the long run.

miller542
05-08-2013, 09:15
This news is really bringing out the worst in our hobby today.... yes he should have researched and got his facts straight, I'm going to welcome him and those he brings with.

I can see both sides of this, but one of the problems here is the type of people he brings with him and the misinformation they will bring courtesy of his article. If the scotch&icecream rebuttal is correct in that Parker's readers take him at gospel, then HighHorse is right, he owe's his readers an apology. We're already competing with other bourbon lovers for limited supply items enough as it is, we don't need additional competition from people who will be storing their bourbon horizontally in their wine cellar as an investment. Lots of mention of the appearance of the bottle itself and 'image' which I will admit is part of it, but for someone who drinks the stuff inside, taste is what matters most, not how it dresses up your wine cellar.

The review so littered with problems, its hard to know where to start. Another example: "High West Whiskey Campfire I threw this in because this distillery in, of all places, Park City, Utah (better known for skiing than high quality spirits), is apparently a fascinating operation. They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire....Just about everything I have tasted from High West in Park City, Utah is impressive. "

It is a facinating operation, too bad what you are drinking is not a product of that operation. As with many of the examples in his review, zero mention of the actual source of the product in the bottle. And Campfire is not the least expensive High West product, as if price was relevant in his article.

"Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 10-Years Old; 45% alcohol; 90 proof
..... has 45% alcohol, which makes it 90 proof." For the 13th bourbon on the list, I think we've figured out the whole proof thing by now, even without the redundency. But then there's "Buffalo Trace Distillery Experimental Collection 1993 .... alcohol 43.6%; 90 proof" Which is it??? Literally one minute on Google reveals evaporation was listed on the label as 43.6%, and it is 45% abv.

Amusing yet scary indeed.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-08-2013, 09:36
I can see both sides of this, but one of the problems here is the type of people he brings with him and the misinformation they will bring courtesy of his article. If the scotch&icecream rebuttal is correct in that Parker's readers take him at gospel, then HighHorse is right, he owe's his readers an apology. We're already competing with other bourbon lovers for limited supply items enough as it is, we don't need additional competition from people who will be storing their bourbon horizontally in their wine cellar as an investment. Lots of mention of the appearance of the bottle itself and 'image' which I will admit is part of it, but for someone who drinks the stuff inside, taste is what matters most, not how it dresses up your wine cellar.

The review so littered with problems, its hard to know where to start. Another example: "High West Whiskey Campfire I threw this in because this distillery in, of all places, Park City, Utah (better known for skiing than high quality spirits), is apparently a fascinating operation. They make a pre-blended Manhattan that is a killer, but the two whiskies I tried included their least expensive, Campfire....Just about everything I have tasted from High West in Park City, Utah is impressive. "

It is a facinating operation, too bad what you are drinking is not a product of that operation. As with many of the examples in his review, zero mention of the actual source of the product in the bottle. And Campfire is not the least expensive High West product, as if price was relevant in his article.

"Buffalo Trace Eagle Rare Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 10-Years Old; 45% alcohol; 90 proof
..... has 45% alcohol, which makes it 90 proof." For the 13th bourbon on the list, I think we've figured out the whole proof thing by now, even without the redundency. But then there's "Buffalo Trace Distillery Experimental Collection 1993 .... alcohol 43.6%; 90 proof" Which is it??? Literally one minute on Google reveals evaporation was listed on the label as 43.6%, and it is 45% abv.

Amusing yet scary indeed.

I dont mean to defend him but in coming from a wine point of view, many wines out there use grapes not grown at that particular winery. When they do and are proud of the results, they will almost always point out that it is a single vineyard wine. I know comparing sourced grapes to sourced whiskey is not apples to apples but it is also not apples to oranges.

White Dog
05-08-2013, 10:32
I dont mean to defend him but in coming from a wine point of view, many wines out there use grapes not grown at that particular winery. When they do and are proud of the results, they will almost always point out that it is a single vineyard wine. I know comparing sourced grapes to sourced whiskey is not apples to apples but it is also not apples to oranges.

I would say that it is apples to oranges. Grapes are not wine. You have to actually make the wine once you get the grapes. BT and WT don't grow their own corn, do they? They source their grain, but they have to actually distill the stuff, just as a winemaker has to make wine from the grapes they source.
(I'm not knocking Perkins, as he's upfront about his blends, but that's what he's doing: Blending finished whiskey.)

miller542
05-08-2013, 12:05
The point I was trying to make when I said "zero mention of the actual source of the product in the bottle" is the distiller. The list is overwhelmingly Buffalo Trace.

Another thing I noticed that scotch&icecream noted, if the article states "I highly encourage those who don't know how good a sip of bourbon, no ice, can be to check some of the following out." Why create a list filled with a lot of one-off products that aren't even offered anymore or items so limited they "seem to fly off retailers' shelves as quickly as they appear."? I can only get 4 items on the list, and even that is only because I can walk to the High West distillery. And the flavor profile of the items on the list is hardly a great introduction to bourbon, esp to someone who would normally drink wine. Why not start with Buffalo Trace and then move up to Eagle Rare SB/Blantons? Why not start with Makers or Bulleit and then move up to Makers 46 or Bulleit 10yr?

LostBottle
05-08-2013, 14:04
Before we crown Mr. Parker God of all things poured into a tulip glass .. peruse an amusing and, IMO, accurate response to his stumbling entry into bourbon: http://www.scotchandicecream.com/

What am I drinking tonight? A dram of Rollins and I'll give it a 99!

That was a great article. I think Tim has one of the best booze blogs out there.

RT Fan
05-08-2013, 14:41
The fact remains that Robert Parker is the single most influential wine critic in the world today. His reviews move both prices & product. He has a slavish cult of minions who storm out to purchase cases of wine based on his reviews. The really scary thing is that bourbon is cheap by comparison to high end wines, unknown Napa Valley Cabs with no track record to speak of debut at $100 a bottle. Whereas, with the exception of certain limited production bourbons, the vast majority of high quality bourbon trades between $25 & $75 per bottle. If wine geeks start to realize the value represented in these bottles and acquire a taste for bourbon, well it will be Katy bar the door because the prices we know will be long gone. That's the aspect that worries me, I saw it happen to the Single Malt market & it is under way in the bourbon market as well.

I happen to like Mr. Parker's wine reviews, but usually limit my purchases to the under $15 per bottle realm. In this area Spain has been crushing it of late & 2 of his recent finds, Breca (94 pts /$14) & Besllum (93 pts & $13) are home runs & for that I have to give him his credit due. Most of the wines he reviews are way out of my price points.

Josh
05-08-2013, 18:39
Robert Parker on an average day has more of an impact on booze economics than the impact of every blog post ever written, taken from every single blogger since the invention of the internet, added together, and multiplied by 1,000.

Yes and we all know how worthless all those ego-driven bloggers are. The only blogs worth reading are the ones run by retailers.

Josh
05-08-2013, 18:47
That was a great article. I think Tim has one of the best booze blogs out there.

I completely agree, that's one of my favorites. To get back on topic, those notes are a complete joke and it's a testament to Parker's ego and how much everybody in the booze industry kisses his ass that those pathetic notes even got published.

smknjoe
05-08-2013, 19:03
I completely agree, that's one of my favorites. To get back on topic, those notes are a complete joke and it's a testament to Parker's ego and how much everybody in the booze industry kisses his ass that those pathetic notes even got published.

I'm suspicious as to whether or not he even tried some of them, if any. Maybe he had an "associate" throw that "information" together for him and he ran with it. Several pointed out the Rollin's Creek, but what about the wax topped Parker's Heritage? How could he have made these mistakes with the bottle right in front of him? This guy has no credibility with me. And yes, I too enjoyed Tim's take on the whole thing.

squire
05-08-2013, 20:21
I'm suspicious of any review that emphasizes the bottle design.

White Dog
05-08-2013, 20:22
Yes and we all know how worthless all those ego-driven bloggers are. The only blogs worth reading are the ones run by retailers.

Well played, sir.

WhiskyRI
05-08-2013, 22:36
For me the line that shows Parker's lack of knowledge on Whiskey is this one "...to be sipped, savored and like all the top bourbons, never diluted or served on ice." I might be able to agree with the blanket advice about ice but never diluted? Really? So someone should drink 140.0 proof whiskey without adding even the smallest drops of water to open it up? That advice on bourbon is about as sound as this advice on wine - uncork a Petrus and swig it straight from the bottle. As with most things this too shall pass. I'll chalk it up to an off-day by someone who probably had a staff member or a colleague put together a tasting of bourbons. Parker is to wine sales as Oprah was to book sale, and if he really sets his sights on regularly reviewing Bourbons and other whiskies than be prepared for the continued price hikes and shortages of your favorites, whatever they are.

squire
05-08-2013, 22:40
If he wants to push these sourced whisky brands fine with me, I don't buy 'em anyway.

LostBottle
05-08-2013, 23:14
Well played, sir.

+1

padpadpadpadpadpad

weller_tex
05-09-2013, 07:14
I am not too worried as the only thing on his list that I buy on his list on a regular basis is MM 46. I got out of the BTAC/PVW chase and I guess the Four Roses Limited Edition will involve a chase from now on, so scratch that also. As long as I can VOB/OGD/Weller 12 or Larceny and MM for a reasonable price I will be happy.

I hate wine, but most wine-only drinkers I know can't handle bourbon..so is this really a big worry??

Josh
05-09-2013, 10:47
Well played, sir.

+1

padpadpadpadpadpad Thank you sirs. I was going to say something in the comments section of the K & L blog, but it doesn't exist.

squire
05-09-2013, 10:49
My wine drinking friends only have a casual interest in distilled spirits no matter what Parker or anyone else says.

ILLfarmboy
05-09-2013, 10:59
To get back on topic, those notes are a complete joke and it's a testament to Parker's ego and how much everybody in the booze industry kisses his ass that those pathetic notes even got published.

So are you saying he should have an "encyclopedic" knowledge of bourbon before offering his opinion.

That doesn't sound like you.

squire
05-09-2013, 11:21
He should know enough not to make basic mistakes if he is offering an expert opinion.

weller_tex
05-09-2013, 12:02
My wine drinking friends only have a casual interest in distilled spirits no matter what Parker or anyone else says.
My observations as well..

weller_tex
05-09-2013, 12:04
He should know enough not to make basic mistakes if he is offering an expert opinion.

I guess this guy is in a celebrity in the world of wine so he thinks this makes him a f(*%$ expert on everything..just like the celebrities in Hollywood.

qman22
05-09-2013, 12:13
I'm suspicious of any review that emphasizes the bottle design.

I agree completely. Maybe his panning of the 2012 FRSmBLE bottle design will keep some Parker sheeple away

VAGentleman
05-09-2013, 12:34
I really don't understand all the harshness and hand wringing over this. I read the article and he never said he was an expert at bourbon. He was interested in it, gave it a try, liked it and wanted to share some thoughts. He admitted his reviews were off the cuff. Reading through them, they were actually pretty decent on their descriptions. Yes he mentioned the bottles and made some typos etc but he actually reviewed the taste. He did way better than most of my reviews and a lot of others I've seen on here. If his notes entice others to try bourbon why is that a bad thing? I may not agree with the scores he gave some of the bourbons but then again I don't agree witha lot of the reviews I see on here. As people note YMMV.

Alden
05-09-2013, 13:26
I guess this guy is in a celebrity in the world of wine so he thinks this makes him a f(*%$ expert on everything..just like the celebrities in Hollywood.

He is a HUGE celebrity in the wine world. It would behoove some of you to read more about him. Parker is no dummy.

LostBottle
05-09-2013, 13:39
This piece by Sku (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2013/05/skus-guide-to-wine.html) is hilarious. Between this and Tim's take on the issue, I'm inclined to think the LAWS guys are taking comedy writing lessons between whiskey tastings.

miller542
05-09-2013, 14:01
This piece by Sku (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2013/05/skus-guide-to-wine.html) is hilarious.

This just made my day. Hilarious.

LiveFromLou
05-09-2013, 14:15
I really don't understand all the harshness and hand wringing over this.

Right, I read this article as having been written by someone who admits to being a bourbon outsider giving their opinion on their first experiences with bourbon. He never claims to be a bourbon expert, so we should cut him some slack. I also think he's used to having an editorial staff fix his typos and do some research for him. I imagine he did this himself at home without said staff. Granted, on my blog, I proofread 3 times before hitting publish, but not everyone is a grammar nazi like me.

Alden
05-09-2013, 14:15
That is pretty funny!

berto
05-09-2013, 14:36
The responses from the bourbonsphere are great.

It will be interesting to see if there's an influx of wine speculators trying to grab sought after bourbon for their portfolios. I'm sure they'll bug the hell out of shops that carry wine and spirits but will they make the effort at shops with no wine? I've found obtaining the hard to get is more building a relationship or luck than anything else. If someone wants to pay 3x retail they're welcome to whatever they can get from the d-bag profiteering on it. I guess I don't see myself competing for bottles with those willing to overspend as they're buying stuff I won't. I'm not thrilled that the wine speculator coming to bourbon might drive prices even higher but bourbon speculators have already done it. I welcome wine folks interested in giving bourbon a try. The more the merrier. Just don't be a d-bag.

tanstaafl2
05-09-2013, 14:50
I really don't understand all the harshness and hand wringing over this. I read the article and he never said he was an expert at bourbon. He was interested in it, gave it a try, liked it and wanted to share some thoughts. He admitted his reviews were off the cuff. Reading through them, they were actually pretty decent on their descriptions. Yes he mentioned the bottles and made some typos etc but he actually reviewed the taste. He did way better than most of my reviews and a lot of others I've seen on here. If his notes entice others to try bourbon why is that a bad thing? I may not agree with the scores he gave some of the bourbons but then again I don't agree witha lot of the reviews I see on here. As people note YMMV.

Right, I read this article as having been written by someone who admits to being a bourbon outsider giving their opinion on their first experiences with bourbon. He never claims to be a bourbon expert, so we should cut him some slack. I also think he's used to having an editorial staff fix his typos and do some research for him. I imagine he did this himself at home without said staff. Granted, on my blog, I proofread 3 times before hitting publish, but not everyone is a grammar nazi like me.

If he is a bourbon outsider then he should have shared it with his friends. As to harshness when he chose to publish it in his PAID subscription service, knowing full well what his level of influence is and that he would be perceived as providing expert commentary no matter how he chose to preface it (after all several people have noted he is not a fool, his bourbon post not with standing, and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then he should expect the scorn and ridicule being leveled at him when he shows he is out of his element (which he probably doesn't think is the case anyway). I pay little attention to either Parker or wine normally but I would not be at all surprised if he has hurled the occasional bit of ridicule and scorn upon someone he feels is not at his level in the wine industry that dares to try to speak about wine or contradicts him on that subject.

As to hand wringing, for me at least that is more the amusing part. it is tongue in cheek hand wringing at most. I can't change the direction the whiskey biz is currently headed and the impact this has is likely to be relatively minimal on me in the grand scheme of things anyway. At this point I don't really want more people to have to compete with for these scarce but desirable resources but it is certainly possible that this kind of thing will only add to the problem. It certainly isn't going to alleviate it! But there isn't much of anything I can do about it. I will just keep my head down and keep trying to make friends in useful places.

elbowguru
05-09-2013, 15:07
If he is a bourbon outsider then he should have shared it with his friends. As to harshness when he chose to publish it in his PAID subscription service, knowing full well what his level of influence is and that he would be perceived as providing expert commentary no matter how he chose to preface it (after all several people have noted he is not a fool, his bourbon post not with standing, and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then he should expect the scorn and ridicule being leveled at him when he shows he is out of his element (which he probably doesn't think is the case anyway). I pay little attention to either Parker or wine normally but I would not be at all surprised if he has hurled the occasional bit of ridicule and scorn upon someone he feels is not at his level in the wine industry that dares to try to speak about wine or contradicts him on that subject.
I agree with you. It seems that the more popular bourbon and American whiskey gets, the more people have to weigh in with their opinion from guys like Parker all the way down to novices who it seems just discovered bourbon last fall. I'd say probably once a week I see a new website, blog, or YouTube review focusing on whiskey, most of them pretty bad. I do see potential sometimes, but maybe some folks are a little too eager to get in the game and could spend more time reading instead of writing.

weller_tex
05-09-2013, 16:22
He is a HUGE celebrity in the wine world. It would behoove some of you to read more about him. Parker is no dummy.
Writing what he wrote with zero research..I contend he is a dummy in many ways..and a lot of what he wrote doesn't even make sense. Unless he did it with a purpose, which is always a possibility. I suspect he is arrogant enough to think that he didn't need no stinking research. The U.S. is full of people like that, people who are successful and well known in one field (e.g.acting) and somehow think this makes them smarter than everyone on everything. You all see that with a lot of PhDs..they somehow think that the sheepskin in their field makes them an expert in everyone other field as well.

Alden
05-09-2013, 16:41
Writing what he wrote with zero research..I contend he is a dummy in many ways..and a lot of what he wrote doesn't even make sense. Unless he did it with a purpose, which is always a possibility. I suspect he is arrogant enough to think that he didn't need no stinking research. The U.S. is full of people like that, people who are successful and well known in one field (e.g.acting) and somehow think this makes them smarter than everyone on everything. You all see that with a lot of PhDs..they somehow think that the sheepskin in their field makes them an expert in everyone other field as well.

Oh I agree, he's as arrogant as they come, and just arrogant enough to do something like this, fully knowing that the wine afficianados who likewise know next to nothing about bourbons will follow him where ever he goes.

PaulO
05-09-2013, 16:46
If he wants to push these sourced whisky brands fine with me, I don't buy 'em anyway.

That pretty well sums up my feelings too.

qman22
05-09-2013, 19:37
Well this didn't take long... Parker's bourbon reviews coming soon to a shelf talker near you! I'm now bullish on Blanton's.

http://www.empirewine.com/liquor/blantons-93prf-750ml/

WAINWRIGHT
05-09-2013, 19:50
Well this didn't take long... Parker's bourbon reviews coming soon to a shelf talker near you! I'm now bullish on Blanton's.

http://www.empirewine.com/liquor/blantons-93prf-750ml/And so it begins...........damn that was fast!

elbowguru
05-09-2013, 20:09

Now I'm wondering if I'll see Old Bardstown in the locked display cases tomorrow.

qman22
05-09-2013, 20:15
Now I'm wondering if I'll see Old Bardstown in the locked display cases tomorrow.

http://www.wineandcheeseplace.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=7795&category_id=1

:slappin:

elbowguru
05-09-2013, 20:30
http://www.wineandcheeseplace.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=7795&category_id=1

:slappin:

Oooooh, boy. I better go stock up for the bunker while I can. You know, I've never bought a bottle of Old Bardstown black before but it seems that right now the gettin is good!

All joking aside, I did see every bottle of Weller 12 under lock and key in a regular stop of mine starting a few weeks back, which was odd. I can't imagine what prompted that move.

miller542
05-09-2013, 20:43

Wow.

Maybe now those wondering will understand all the harshness and hand wringing over the original review.

KyFriedChicken
05-09-2013, 20:49
Oooooh, boy. I better go stock up for the bunker while I can. You know, I've never bought a bottle of Old Bardstown black before but it seems that right now the gettin is good!

All joking aside, I did see every bottle of Weller 12 under lock and key in a regular stop of mine starting a few weeks back, which was odd. I can't imagine what prompted that move.

Because it's that good! I always find it interesting shopping from behind bars. Nothing like having to point out what you want to buy and getting it through a little window. Occasionally there are some great finds either because folks don't see them or they don't want to spend the money on the higher priced bottles. Great place to find old dusties.

elbowguru
05-09-2013, 20:54
Because it's that good! I always find it interesting shopping from behind bars. Nothing like having to point out what you want to buy and getting it through a little window. Occasionally there are some great finds either because folks don't see them or they don't want to spend the money on the higher priced bottles. Great place to find old dusties.

I've spent plenty of time talking through bulletproof, but this shop was a somewhat touristy Liquor Barn. Why they would move Weller 12, something I've never had a problem picking up, to a display case escapes me. Derby, I hope?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

KyFriedChicken
05-09-2013, 21:01
I've spent plenty of time talking through bulletproof, but this shop was a somewhat touristy Liquor Barn. Why they would move Weller 12, something I've never had a problem picking up, to a display case escapes me. Derby, I hope?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Good marketing strategy I guess. If it's behind lock and key it must be good. Even I have been guilty of asking what's behind the counter. You might be onto something with the Derby.

VT Mike
05-10-2013, 01:20
http://www.ponteography.com/ebay/parker.jpg

PaulO
05-10-2013, 03:30
I picked up a bottle of Old Bardstown 90 proof black label in Louisville a few years ago. I was trying to pick up some bottles I hadn't seen before in Indiana. Anyway, to me it tasted like a rougher, harsher version of Evan Williams. I didn't pour it down the drain, but I thought I wasn't very good, and wouldn't buy it again. It doesn't bother me if other people like it. I can easily find better bourbon for less $.

whiskeyobsessive
05-10-2013, 04:37
Here is the problem. It is us. We, the consumers, are too impressionable by opinion, expectation and peer pressure. Not you and me in particular, obviously, but certainly our friends and acquaintances. When some douchey friend shows up with a $200 bottle of wine that got "98 points" in Parker, we are all impressed. Even if we are not, we can never discount that information enough. Sure, we might not think it was nearly perfect or worth that kind of money, but we are likely to have a positive experience, and our douchey friend will probably buy a case, his friends will do the same, and soon Chateau Petrus is $8000 a bottle.

This is exactly the same thing as happened to Pappy. It was, for many of us, a really nice treat of a bourbon at $50 dollars or so that we loved to share with our friends as an example of how good a bourbon could be. They hype machine then took over. We then made it worse by buying all we could as we saw availability declining and prices rising, creating a feedback loop that ends with assholes selling Pappy for $800 in Craigslist.

My fear is that we are going to let this happen to other bourbons (Blanton's seems to have been rated scarily high at 97) that we like. There is only one solution to this: we need to educate each other and our friends better about out favored hobby in an accessible way. We need to create an alternative for the confused guy in the liquor store that is being drawn to the "95 points!" shelf talker. We also need to spread the word that, if his last article is indication, Parker knows very little about bourbon and we don't have to listen to him. This is the reason that he doesn't even try to review Burgundy anymore: he made a number of bad calls and embarrassing mistakes early on, no one listened to him about Burgundy, and now he doesn't even review it anymore. We have to encourage the same thing.

VAGentleman
05-10-2013, 07:31
Wow.

Maybe now those wondering will understand all the harshness and hand wringing over the original review.

I still don't see the issue. At least his description gave me an idea how it tastes. Its better than the random double gold medal listing that people see and assume it must be great

Old Dusty
05-10-2013, 09:09
I still don't see the issue. At least his description gave me an idea how it tastes. Its better than the random double gold medal listing that people see and assume it must be great

Except now the retailer is passing on the Parker mistake to the buyer and by providing the full quote they are passively affirming the mistaken speculation. Blanton's is neither blended nor extra aged but now it has both Parker's imprimatur and the retailer's acceptance of it and both are misleading.

Yeti
05-10-2013, 10:48
Maybe the tone of the response is too much for some, but I don't understand all of the people who...don't understand the reaction. He's wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong about nearly everything that isn't a tasting note. Yes, the actual tasting notes are descriptive and obviously written by a professional beverage journalist/reviewer. Which is what makes the pervasive mistakes all the more maddening.

miller542
05-10-2013, 11:37
Yes, the actual tasting notes are descriptive and obviously written by a professional beverage journalist/reviewer.

and since he already has the vocabulary of a reviewer, how hard could it have been to pile together some of the same descriptors and call it a bourbon review?

Kalessin
05-10-2013, 12:13

Customers with sticky fingers could be one reason. One of my local stores has all of their Johnnie Walker Black bottles behind the counter because too many were getting stolen. They have many higher-priced bottles of single malt scotch out on the shelves, but apparently the JW Black was a pilferage problem.

Raising the bottles' Veblen value (it's locked in the fancy cabinet... it MUST be good and worth the higher price!) to increase sales is another.

speedbump47
05-10-2013, 21:53
Customers with sticky fingers could be one reason.

Local Total Wine had regular Hennessy in the cases, along with $200+ armagnacs and cognacs. Open shelves next to it had $120+ bottles of stuff. When we asked what was going on, they too replied that it seemed to be a popular item to steal.

squire
05-12-2013, 08:11
I'm not surprised one of our members found Old Bardstown to "taste a lot like" Evan Williams. The primary difference is EW is smoother and costs a lot less.

elbowguru
05-12-2013, 10:22
I'm not surprised one of our members found Old Bardstown to "taste a lot like" Evan Williams. The primary difference is EW is smoother and costs a lot less.:thumbup: Ain't that the truth.

TBC
05-17-2013, 12:43
This piece by Sku (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2013/05/skus-guide-to-wine.html) is hilarious. Between this and Tim's take on the issue, I'm inclined to think the LAWS guys are taking comedy writing lessons between whiskey tastings.

Haha! Fantastic.

squire
05-17-2013, 13:46
Skewered, as it were.

squire
05-19-2013, 11:26
Showing on Netflix is a movie titled 'Corked' which is a parody of pretentiousness in the Northern California Wine country. One of the characters is the most influential wine critic Richard Parsons. His palate is insured for one million dollars, he doesn't shake hands and no one is allowed to speak to him.

Alden
05-19-2013, 11:30
If you can find it watch the documentary Mondovino (world of wine).

It's very interesting, very entertaining, and in some ways probably pertains to the world of whiskey as well.

As I recall, Parker is in it.

T Comp
05-19-2013, 13:23
If you can find it watch the documentary Mondovino (world of wine).

It's very interesting, very entertaining, and in some ways probably pertains to the world of whiskey as well.

As I recall, Parker is in it.

In addition to Mondovino the book The Accidental Connoisseur by Lawrence Osborne is an excellent read into the wine world and its themes can pertain to our whiskey world (Osborne says "wine is 99 percent psychological, a creation of where you are and with whom")

As long as we're piling on ;), here is an entertaining write up which was originally linked to by the the Whis(e)y Apostle Blog summarizing the arguments for wine tasting, ratings, reviews and descriptions being full of BS. It includes the exception too.

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

Barrel_Proof
05-19-2013, 13:27
I've spent plenty of time talking through bulletproof, but this shop was a somewhat touristy Liquor Barn. Why they would move Weller 12, something I've never had a problem picking up, to a display case escapes me.

It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.

brettckeen
05-19-2013, 13:33
It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.

Same in Illinois. We need special permission to order. They never said specifically we were allocated X but in order to order a few cases they had to go higher up. Scary times on the horizon?

squire
05-19-2013, 13:34
Good write up Thad with which I totally agree. When dining out with friends I am routinely asked to choose the wine for the table and I know just enough about the stuff to pronounce the names of some of 'em. A little bullshit, spread thin, will cover a surprisingly large area.

elbowguru
05-19-2013, 13:44

Hmm. That's interesting. I started buying it in handles last year when I heard rumors of it becoming an annual release.
Too many people have caught on, I guess.

WAINWRIGHT
05-19-2013, 15:11
It's hard to believe, but the current bottling of Weller 12 has become so allocated in Kentucky that it is now on lock-down in many stores. TPS in Bellevue has done this, as well. One bottle to a customer, there, at present.Another thing that is proving even more difficult to procure,good price,nice age stated bourbon and now the buzz has caught on it's very difficult to buy.W12 was all over locally a year ago,now I have one store 30 miles away and that is it,that's it.Glad it is one of the things I have put away in numbers because who knows where this one is going either with all the attention focused on the Van Winkle line,I hate the word allocated.

smknjoe
05-19-2013, 15:36
It must be a regional thing. You can find cases, upon cases, upon cases of W12 in most liquor stores around here and it's cheaper than OWA.

squire
05-19-2013, 16:49
Same here, donno why.

Phil T
05-19-2013, 17:09
It must be a regional thing. You can find cases, upon cases, upon cases of W12 in most liquor stores around here and it's cheaper than OWA.

I noticed that when I was out there Joe, every store was flush with W12. But NOBODY around here has it. Ok by me, I don't really like it, except to blend.

Crowes
05-19-2013, 17:38
This may be old news or not true, but when I was in Louisville last week, having dinner at Bourbon's Bistro, the bartender said his distributor told him that Julian Van Winkle was buying up the W12 stock for their own release and that it would be scarce until around October.

cowdery
05-19-2013, 17:43
I do love the idea of Parkerphiles plowing up the pavement to get bottles of Old Bardstown, since Old Bardstown is of course the best kept secret in whiskeydom (spread the word). I sure hope Drew and company have hiked up the price.

Barrel_Proof
05-19-2013, 18:02
Who makes up this nonsense ... and for what reason? That such a tall tale is being told by the Bourbons Bistro is rather sad to say the least. I have no reason to expect better, but it's still disappointing.

... when I was in Louisville last week, having dinner at Bourbon's Bistro, the bartender said his distributor told him that Julian Van Winkle was buying up the W12 stock for their own release ... .

squire
05-19-2013, 18:26
I suppose there are some folks that feel special about possessing 'inside information'.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-19-2013, 18:29

We havent had any for a couple of months. It sells out in less than a week. We also now have a list for customers to call when Weller 12 arrives. Sad but not really surprising considering the value of older bourbon nowadays.

Parkersback
05-19-2013, 21:04
Same in Illinois. We need special permission to order. They never said specifically we were allocated X but in order to order a few cases they had to go higher up. Scary times on the horizon?

For what it's worth, here in NYC I am seeing Weller 12 more prevalently. I used to only ever see at it at one store. In the last few months it has appeared at a few stores that are not especially high end.

When I saw it, I was reminded of the anxiety many of us have discussed about another age-stated bourbon biting the dust, especially one that could presumably be packaged in a Lot B bottle and sold for 3X the price. But the small slice of anecdotal evidence here in NYC suggests otherwise.

mosugoji64
05-19-2013, 22:02
As long as we're piling on ;), here is an entertaining write up which was originally linked to by the the Whis(e)y Apostle Blog summarizing the arguments for wine tasting, ratings, reviews and descriptions being full of BS. It includes the exception too.

http://io9.com/wine-tasting-is-bullshit-heres-why-496098276

:slappin: Thank you for this! Loved the article and laughed a few times reading it. Good stuff! :slappin:

cowdery
05-20-2013, 15:53
Psychological research has shown that people who believe in conspiracy theories have trouble accepting the randomness of existence. They have trouble accepting that most bad things happen for no reason. They believe there has to be someone at fault, someone to blame. I had the same reaction Cliff did. If bartenders at Bourbon's Bistro are that badly informed, and understand the industry that poorly, that makes me sad. But these rumors sometimes gets started and attributed to an 'authority' who is not actually the source. That's hard to check out too.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-20-2013, 18:43
Psychological research has shown that people who believe in conspiracy theories have trouble accepting the randomness of existence. They have trouble accepting that most bad things happen for no reason. They believe there has to be someone at fault, someone to blame. I had the same reaction Cliff did. If bartenders at Bourbon's Bistro are that badly informed, and understand the industry that poorly, that makes me sad. But these rumors sometimes gets started and attributed to an 'authority' who is not actually the source. That's hard to check out too.

The people at bourbons are usually quite knowledgeable.

I think a number of reports/rumors/facts/unknowns were skewed to come up with the story.

The van winkles do need quite a bit of the aging wheated stock at BT. How much of it BT has and how much would have gone into weller12 are the big unknowns.

mbroo5880i
05-20-2013, 18:44
For what it's worth, here in NYC I am seeing Weller 12 more prevalently. I used to only ever see at it at one store. In the last few months it has appeared at a few stores that are not especially high end.

When I saw it, I was reminded of the anxiety many of us have discussed about another age-stated bourbon biting the dust, especially one that could presumably be packaged in a Lot B bottle and sold for 3X the price. But the small slice of anecdotal evidence here in NYC suggests otherwise.

I don't shop around but the liquor store that I frequent carries Weller 12. Of course, it is in the 'burbs of Indy.

mosugoji64
05-20-2013, 20:09
I don't shop around but the liquor store that I frequent carries Weller 12. Of course, it is in the 'burbs of Indy.

We've been seeing it more and more in the Indy area over the past year. Don't know why, but not complaining at all! The selection around here ain't half bad lately. All that's missing are Larceny, VOB BIB and AAA 10yr.

ChainWhip
05-20-2013, 23:44
Well, that was a short-lived bourbon reviewing career:

http://fredminnick.com/robert-parker-will-not-review-whiskey-exclusive/

(if true)

Alden
05-21-2013, 03:58
Dang. And here I was gearing up to accuse every verbose-hyperbolic-pedantic tasting reviewer a "Parker".

I guess that won't be happening now.

boneuphtoner
05-21-2013, 05:11
RobourbonParker (https://twitter.com/RobourbonParker) has since reviewed McDonald’s McRib, calling it the “Colonel EHTaylor of the sandwich world,”

LOL!!!! :slappin:

mosugoji64
05-21-2013, 07:38
Dang. And here I was gearing up to accuse every verbose-hyperbolic-pedantic tasting reviewer a "Parker".

I guess that won't be happening now.

I think you can still use that. We'll know what you're talking about and will be suitably amused. :grin:

Flyfish
05-21-2013, 07:43
Parker gets credit for the quality of his tasting notes even though there are so many errors of fact--not to be confused with opinion. Looking at his list of bourbon descriptors reminded me of the Buzzword Generator List. For you young SBers, this was a Chinese menu for ambitious bureaucrats who wanted to sound impressive. The procedure was to select one term each from columns A, B, and C. String them together and you could sound like the pointy-haired boss in "Dilbert."

squire
05-21-2013, 08:07
Fake Twitter account, the internet doth humble us all.

fminnick
05-21-2013, 08:51
If his online publication continues to write reviews, I suspect he'll hire a respected whisky person. For the wine reviews, Parker hired renowned reviewers to cover particular geographies. For example, Jay Miller covered Spain and his reviews were published under Parker's domain. It would make sense for him to do the same in whisky, bourbon and other spirits. I don't think he could have expected the viral pushback he received from the online bourbon community.

Flyfish
05-21-2013, 10:39
I'd like to apply for the job as bourbon contributor to the domain. By way of audition, here are my tasting notes for Very, Very Old Fitzwaller: Redolent of caramelized dark pitted fruits; smoky but with much less char than you might expect in a whiskey that spent more than four years in the barrel; silky and gorgeously textured on the mid palate but just a skosh harsh on the back palate; still, velvety and opulent; complex and pungent with tremendous rye spice elegantly balanced by wheat. I rate it a 97.

squire
05-21-2013, 11:19
And if you can detect the rose petals (Grandifloras naturally) the score rises to a 98.

Alden
05-21-2013, 11:55
I'd like to apply for the job as bourbon contributor to the domain. By way of audition, here are my tasting notes for Very, Very Old Fitzwaller: Redolent of caramelized dark pitted fruits; smoky but with much less char than you might expect in a whiskey that spent more than four years in the barrel; silky and gorgeously textured on the mid palate but just a skosh harsh on the back palate; still, velvety and opulent; complex and pungent with tremendous rye spice elegantly balanced by wheat. I rate it a 97.

You, sir, have just been awarded the first "Parker" by the SB community.

It's a 10" golden colored plastic statue of Rbt Parker, with a pot belly, and when you push the belly, the tongue protrudes and it makes a slurping sound.

Congratulations.

Please see the cashier on your way out.

TBC
05-21-2013, 21:24
Well, that was a short-lived bourbon reviewing career:

http://fredminnick.com/robert-parker-will-not-review-whiskey-exclusive/

(if true)

Please be true, but if it's not, hopefully he hires somebody, it's not that hard.