PDA

View Full Version : is there any correlation to liking high proof AND liking very hot/spicy food?

393foureyedfox
05-14-2013, 21:56
was wondering if there's any correlation. I love spicy food, the hotter the better. Im new to bourbons, and basically new to alcohol anyway. Yet, I don't care for much of anything lower than 100 proof, and find that I like the 120+ proofers. Is this unusual, or not? Seems to be a realistic assumption that if I love the hotness of foods in my mouth that i may prefer "hot" whiskeys over the standard ones.

any inputs?

ChainWhip
05-14-2013, 21:59
I like spicy foods.

I like barrel proof / cask strength whiskies.

I like hot women.

=]b

squire
05-14-2013, 22:31
I like a hot woman preparing hot food and don't care how she drinks her booze.

Josh
05-15-2013, 07:48
I like spicy food. I buy a lot of high proof whiskey but I don't drink it at high proof. Anything over 100 proof burns out my palate, although there are a few exceptions to this. I don't think there's much of a correlation.

mosugoji64
05-15-2013, 08:52
The experiences are completely different for me. The heat and endorphin rush from a hot, spicy food is nothing like the palate-flooding experience I get from a high-proof whiskey. If the whiskey has too much astringency and alcohol burn it detracts from the experience whereas heat tends to add to a food experience, provided it accompanies good flavor. There's no correlation for me.

SMOWK
05-15-2013, 10:15
I have made this connection before and I agree with you. I think it's a bit more personal than an across the board statement.

ChainWhip
05-15-2013, 10:22
It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.

393foureyedfox
05-15-2013, 14:48
It might just be a case where people who like spicy foods and/or extreme flavors enjoy a lot of sensory input. This type of personal preference lends itself naturally to enjoyment of high-proof alcohol.

that may be better put than the way I worded it. whereas I enjoy the kick-in-the mouth bite of say, booker's, anything below 90 proof is too watered-down for me. I like the "bite" of the higher proof stuff. Since im new to bourbons, most people find it odd that i dislike the "normal" proofers and want the high proof stuff, as its the opposite of how most people start off

Richnimrod
05-15-2013, 15:15
Here's my 2-cents worth. As far as spicy foods: I'm not at all a fan! But;.... when it comes to barrel proof Bourbons, I've never found one I DIDN'T like, so from that, draw whatever conclusion you will. I don't slurp the high proof offerings; but rather gently sip a few times before adding some water.... usually, though sometimes I'll make a small pour last an hour without any water, depends upon my mood and how much time is available to savor the pour.

squire
05-15-2013, 16:27
Ok, ok, horses for courses and all that, I suggest we can all agree the Barrel Proof Bourbon should be served by a Hot Woman.

ChainWhip
05-15-2013, 16:54
Ok, ok, horses for courses and all that, I suggest we can all agree the Barrel Proof Bourbon should be served by a Hot Woman.

This!

Can we work this into the "Save the OGD BiB" chant somehow?

;-)