PDA

View Full Version : New Garrison Bros bourbon $160???

weller_tex
05-15-2013, 20:01
Look, I am as Texan as they come. In a state where Yankees from the Rust Belt have diluted the accent I still say Howdy as "Heidi" and say "nine" as "nighuun"..hell I won a prize in the third grade for drawing the Alamo. But I'll be &^%$43 if I will pay $160 for a 375ml bottle of 3 to 4 year old whiskey..even if it is made in Texas. Garrison has been spending too much ^%$ time with the East and West Coast wannabes in Austin (AKA t-sips to us Aggies). That's insane.

Before this is sent to PR@C the t-sips out there know I am just having a bit of fun..but seriously $160??

squire
05-15-2013, 21:54
I'll reply when I stop laughing.

ATXWhiskey
05-15-2013, 22:10
I saw the email and was blown away too. I really want to like Dan Garrison and his operation and I've been hopeful that some of the top notch distillate he held back and aged properly would blossom into something great but those prices are insane.

squire
05-15-2013, 22:26
Maybe he can get Parker to plug it.

wadewood
05-15-2013, 23:53
I love what Dan has done, but this is really pushing the price ceiling. Only 600 bottles; there are more foolish Texans than that and I'm sure he will sell out. More power to him if he can get that price. I will not be among them.

redbear
05-16-2013, 06:35
For Reference: http://blog.garrisonbros.com/2013/05/11/the-cowboy-rides-away/

I support the effort to do a cask strength bottling. That price is just Too Damn High.

Flyfish
05-16-2013, 07:05
For Reference: http://blog.garrisonbros.com/2013/05/11/the-cowboy-rides-away/

I support the effort to do a cask strength bottling. That price is just Too Damn High.

Don't you suppose the price of all their bourbon is a reflection of the lack of economies of scale? Divide huge start-up costs by a small number of bottles and you get a huge price per bottle. Not to mention that everything is bigger in TX. Have only tasted Garrison's in candies but notes from those who have would suggest that it is "all hat and no cattle." So far. Maybe better with some age on it.

smokinjoe
05-16-2013, 07:15
I trust their opinions when people who know say the GB people are good folks, and that they "are doing it right". If the market will bear these high prices, then more power to them. However, the GB whiskey I have tasted was absolute dreck...

Wryguy
05-16-2013, 07:29
That price is just Too Damn High.

For the second time this week I'm reminded of one of my all-time favorite NYC characters by a post on SB.com. Apparently it's not just a NYC problem: The Rent Is Too Damn High!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rHEitsYJnmw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrHEitsYJnmw

squire
05-16-2013, 08:21
Oh, I don't care, if they can get their price more power to them. I'm just struck by the incongruity of a youngish not ready for prime time whisky in a half bottle being priced twice as much as a full bottle of something it should aspire to be like a Parker Heritage Collection.

weller_tex
05-16-2013, 08:24
I love what Dan has done, but this is really pushing the price ceiling. Only 600 bottles; there are more foolish Texans than that and I'm sure he will sell out. More power to him if he can get that price. I will not be among them.
Yeah I am sure you are right..it is just insane though. I can just see some River Oaks lawyer or old oil money type bragging about a case he just picked up

weller_tex
05-16-2013, 08:25
Oh, I don't care, if they can get their price more power to them. I'm just struck by the incongruity of a youngish not ready for prime time whisky in a half bottle being priced twice as much as a full bottle of something it should aspire to be like a Parker Heritage Collection.

Yeah I am all for folks making money but this is just way over the top..

p_elliott
05-16-2013, 09:32
That's outrageous thatThat's outrageous that's over $300 a full bottle for that rotgut whiskey. He's done lost his mind. It's things like this that give craft distilleries a bad name. He's out did Tuthilltown for just plain crazy.

squire
05-16-2013, 09:34
Now Tex don't be dissing my River Oaks buds, they're God's children too.

weller_tex
05-16-2013, 09:37
Now Tex don't be dissing my River Oaks buds, they're God's children too.

There are a ton of good folks there for sure...but after having served on two juries involving River Oaks civil case there are some duesies as well!

squire
05-16-2013, 09:38
Didn't say I liked 'em all.

weller_tex
05-16-2013, 09:48
Didn't say I liked 'em all.
Yep good folks and bad folks everywhere..rich and not.

LostBottle
05-16-2013, 09:56
$160 for 375ml of young whiskey is an absolute joke. I will never buy a product from Garrison, I just cannot support an operation that regards their customers this way.

squire
05-16-2013, 09:58
They say a fool and his money are soon parted but no one told me how the fool got his money in the first place.

MyOldKyDram
05-16-2013, 09:59
No denying it's an outrageous price. Beyond, even. And it does sour me on them as a company overall.

T Comp
05-16-2013, 10:02
The cheapest ticket for last night's professional hockey game here in Chicago was $95 with scalpers getting a lot more. There are 70,000 people on the wait list for season tickets. Texas made whiskey being sold in Texas. I expect they will sellout.

p_elliott
05-16-2013, 10:16
The cheapest ticket for last night's professional hockey game here in Chicago was $95 with scalpers getting a lot more. There are 70,000 people on the wait list for season tickets. Texas made whiskey being sold in Texas. I expect they will sellout.

That's amazing because you couldn't give me a bottle of that whiskey let a lone get me to pay $160 for a half bottle of it.

AaronWF
05-16-2013, 10:50
It's pretty clear who the Garrisons want as customers. I certainly don't feel left out.

cowdery
05-16-2013, 16:38
I like Dan, his team, and his whiskey. I'll also say this about him. He knows his audience. Not only will these sell, the people who buy them will consider themselves privileged.

Dan asked the distributor to favor the stores in the towns neighboring the distillery. Those sales will be a nice payday for the stores too, which they will appreciate. One reason for his pricing is that he seldom sees stores selling his bourbon at the suggested retail. The demand is so great most of the stores mark it up.

Unlike some craft distillers, who can't wait to get their products into major markets, Garrison expects it will be years before he even tries to sell outside of Texas. It was about this time last year when he started to sell in Houston and I'm not sure if he's in Dallas-Fort Worth even yet. It will be fine with him if he never sells it outside of Texas.

The point is that he is extremely and demonstrably loyal to his customers, neighbors, and the other folks who have supported him. It's an object lesson in brand building. To understand and appreciate what Garrison is doing, you have to understand and appreciate Texas and Texans. Not everyone does.

He's also unusual in making one mash bill and selling only straight bourbon, although in a couple of different iterations. The distillery itself and its setting are beautiful, a tourism dream.

You may not like his whiskey or the way he markets it, but to say he is "all hat and no cows" suggests the speaker doesn't understand the expression. You also might want to check Texas law, because I believe he is allowed to shoot you for that.

MyOldKyDram
05-16-2013, 16:46
Still can't believe people are willing to pay that simply because it's from TX, although obviously they are. Have fun with that.

smknjoe
05-16-2013, 16:51
You've never spent much time here have you? :grin:

TEXAS!!!

cowdery
05-16-2013, 16:53
You've never spent much time here have you? :grin:

TEXAS!!!

Some, not a lot. Love it or hate it, you can't deny Texas and Texans are unique.

squire
05-16-2013, 16:53
Chuck would you favor us with some tasting notes?

smknjoe
05-16-2013, 16:58
Some, not a lot. Love it or hate it, you can't deny Texas and Texans are unique.

Chuck I was poking fun. I'm from Alabama but have lived here for ~12 years. If you slap Texas on it, it will most likely sell. They even have Texas edition trucks of every make down here.

I'm sure their whiskey is a best effort, but I can't bring myself to blow $80 on the stuff I see at Spec's.

cowdery
05-16-2013, 17:01
Probably the most distinctive flavor note is butterscotch. The whiskey has a lot of body and sweetness. It's one of the few, young, craft distillery bourbons that is actually recognizable as bourbon. Its youth does betray it in that it still has a little bit of white dog in the background. The way they're aging it, it will probably start to get too woody after four years, so they'll probably never get it into what for me would be ideal balance, but it's a worthy effort. So it's not perfect by any means. I think he might eventually be sorry that he doesn't double. But he and his crew have their own ideas about things. They work very hard and are making the product they want to make.

squire
05-16-2013, 17:16
I appreciate the honest assessment.

wadewood
05-16-2013, 17:52
Probably the most distinctive flavor note is butterscotch. The whiskey has a lot of body and sweetness. It's one of the few, young, craft distillery bourbons that is actually recognizable as bourbon. Its youth does betray it in that it still has a little bit of white dog in the background. The way they're aging it, it will probably start to get too woody after four years, so they'll probably never get it into what for me would be ideal balance, but it's a worthy effort. So it's not perfect by any means. I think he might eventually be sorry that he doesn't double. But he and his crew have their own ideas about things. They work very hard and are making the product they want to make.

Majors ditto. I have tasted some of his product from the barrel that you thought you where were eating a butterscotch candy: just incredible.

LostBottle
05-16-2013, 20:05
Its youth does betray it in that it still has a little bit of white dog in the background.

Wow, sounds completely amazing and totally worth $320 per bottle!

squire
05-16-2013, 21:03
And we should be grateful to get it.

smokinjoe
05-16-2013, 22:29
Daggummit, Sue Ellen! You better pick up 4 cases then, you lush...:lol:

z327
05-17-2013, 03:26
I too have met Dan at tastings and like a lot of how he does business. But I am disappointed at the pricing. GTS retail pricing I would have no issue with, but Pappy 23 pricing is crazy. I have tried multiple releases and only enjoyed one. I'm not a long time enthusest so not the best pallet. But I think his small barrels and what I would call accelerated aging makes for a good young bourbon but it still tastes and finishes young IMHO. I don't get the wonderful breadth of flavors like I enjoy from the BTAC or PHC bottles. So I will have to pass on this one. Being born and bred in Texas it's hard to say no. I'll save my cash for the fall releases or a lucky find.

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 05:57
Not sure why people are so upset about a very expensive bourbon - seriously. If you don't like the price move on to something else. $160 a 375ml is a heckuva lot cheaper than The Triple 8 Distillery's Notch 888 whiskey which sold for.....wait for it... $888, and was also relatively young. I think sometimes people forget the liquor business is in fact a business. If Garrison is charging more than the market will bear, he won't be in business that long. But as someone who has spent way too much time in Houston in July and August, and who's dad is an Aggie (Gig'em), my guess is Garrison will do just fine. He ain't aiming for the bottom shelf and there is no reason why he shouldn't try for the top shelf. All I can say is that ambitious pricing like this has been happening in Single Malts, and blended scotch whisky, for quite some time and now it has come to bourbon. Lucky us. Yea. My bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB is looking pretty good right now.

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 07:20

You know I 100% get it..as I said I am as Texan as it gets. One side of my family has been here since the 1850's. I think I appreciate more because I work away from Texas sometimes as much as 7 months out of the year. I guess he is just truly appealing to the wealthy Texans out there and not your regular Joes. He is kind of like the Sakowitz (a long departed high-end department store in Houston) or Neiman-Marcus I guess.

I do like the fact that he gives first dibs to the folks around Hye, but obviously he ain't aiming for some roughneck or a ranch-hand as his customer. I have really had to fight myself hard not to buy a bottle of the $75 stuff. The fact that I know it is 100% Texas made is a huge source of pride. I imagine most non-Texans would think it's crazy to even contemplate paying $75 for a 3 year old bourbon. After trying it at a bar I decided against it..but if he improves the bourbon I might think about it again. I reckon I found my crazy limit at $160 per 375ml..

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 07:25
Not sure why people are so upset about a very expensive bourbon - seriously. If you don't like the price move on to something else. $160 a 375ml is a heckuva lot cheaper than The Triple 8 Distillery's Notch 888 whiskey which sold for.....wait for it... $888, and was also relatively young. I think sometimes people forget the liquor business is in fact a business. If Garrison is charging more than the market will bear, he won't be in business that long. But as someone who has spent way too much time in Houston in July and August, and who's dad is an Aggie (Gig'em), my guess is Garrison will do just fine. He ain't aiming for the bottom shelf and there is no reason why he shouldn't try for the top shelf. All I can say is that ambitious pricing like this has been happening in Single Malts, and blended scotch whisky, for quite some time and now it has come to bourbon. Lucky us. Yea. My bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB is looking pretty good right now.

I am Class of '86, tell your Dad a fellow Ag passed along a Howdy. After reading what Chick and others wrote I am beginning to change my mind on this a bit. As I said in another reply, he's like the Sakowitz and Neiman-Marcus of bourbon. If you could afford it, you shopped at Sakowitz because it was a Houston and Texas institution. Obviously Garrison Bros. is not an institution but they certainly get props for doing it the right way..like Balcones.

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 07:27

"..But he and his crew have their own ideas about things. They work very hard and are making the product they want to make." Now that's something all Texans can get behind, We don't like being told what to do, or how we should do things..

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 07:28

You know I 100% get it..as I said I am as Texan as it gets. One side of my family has been here since the 1850's. I think I appreciate more because I work away from Texas sometimes as much as 7 months out of the year. I guess he is just truly appealing to the wealthy Texans out there and not your regular Joes. He is kind of like the Sakowitz (a long departed high-end department store in Houston) or Neiman-Marcus I guess.

I do like the fact that he gives first dibs to the folks around Hye, but obviously he ain't aiming for some roughneck or a ranch-hand as his customer. I have really had to fight myself hard not to buy a bottle of the $75 stuff. The fact that I know it is 100% Texas made is a huge source of pride. I imagine most non-Texans would think it's crazy to even contemplate paying $75 for a 3 year old bourbon. After trying it at a bar I decided against it..but if he improves the bourbon I might think about it again. I reckon I found my crazy limit at $160 per 375ml..

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 07:38
"Majors ditto. I have tasted some of his product from the barrel that you thought you where were eating a butterscotch candy: just incredible. "

I did not get that in the drink I had..I am still on the fence about buying a bottle of the standard $75 stuff. My inner Texan keep drawing me towards the bottle each time I go to Spec's. OT a bit but it really irks me that Spec's pushed that 1835 Bourbon that isn't even made in Texas. It's not horrible stuff on ice..but it sure ain't Texas whiskey.

MyOldKyDram
05-17-2013, 07:39
Not sure where the pride comes from in a bottle of overpriced, subpar bottle of whiskey but okay. Moving on indeed.

smokinjoe
05-17-2013, 07:39
..but if he improves the bourbon I might think about it again.

From the dreck I have tasted from GB, there's a whole lot of improving to go. It just ain't good, folks.

I hate to be a downer, but all of the micros should stick to making corn liquor, various white dogs, gins, vodkas, and specialty "house style" whiskies. I'm sorry, but I don't think they can make bourbon to the quality we expect. Leave that job to the pros in Kentucky.

As a famous man once might have said, for the price of this 1/2 bottle of GB, I'd rather have a case and a half of VOB. :D

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 07:58
Have to disagree with you Smokinjoe on leaving it to the pros in Kentucky. The "pros" in Kentucky make both good bourbon and bad bourbon. Yes they do it at scale and yes some of it is very good and very inexpensive. Most of the micro product is very young right now and a lot of it drinks poorly for way too much money. However, with business realities and learning curves being what they are - their quality will improve pretty quickly. Now you may choose not to buy their product until it meets your standards, but there is an amazing amount of learning, innovation and experimentation (I'll leave the buffalo trace experimental collection for another thread) happening in craft distilling right now. Sure there are some over-priced duds, and quite a few of them at that, but there are also some gems. I have no doubt the Craft Distiller bourbon quality will improve enough to rival the quality of some of the best bourbons made anywhere, but probably never at the same price. That is simply a matter of scale - when you put away 10,000 or 100,000 barrels a year your cooperage costs and materials costs decline dramatically. I think the "house style" whiskies are going to make the "pros from Kentucky" raise their game. People like local products - sure HH, or BT, or , BF, or JB may make great whiskey but their strength of consistency at scale is actually a weakness in that it's the same no matter where you are. I think the corollary of craft beer will hold true - Budweiser sales have been declining for years while craft beer sales have been taking away share in aggregate every year for the last 10 years or more. It'll be interesting to see what happens - personally I think the next 5-10 years will be a lot of fun for Whiskey consumers. Besides the dusties of tomorrow are being put on shelves somewhere today.

p_elliott
05-17-2013, 10:06
Butterscotch are you kidding I was looking around for a cat to lick it's ass to get the taste out of my mouth.

Halifax
05-17-2013, 10:08
600 bottles @ $160 equates to $96K at retail. Taking into account retailer and distributor mark-ups that would mean around $40-$50K in revenue for GB. After expenses that ain't a big chunk of profit. I've never had GB whiskey before. Don't plan on buying any either... Just ain't my thing to pay a premium for what most consider to be a sub-par product. That said... I hope they get their retail price. It's good to see small venture being successful in this industry. We'll all benefit long term.

redbear
05-17-2013, 10:18
Chuck, your post reads like Dan is paying you for marketing.

I have never seen a bottle of GB for over the ~75 a bottle. It is readily available in all of the major liquor stores in Austin. I don't personally know anyone who has bought a bottle. So, I call BS on the "overcharging" comment. I've been to every liquor store within a 50 mile radius of Austin, including the one in Hye.

I've tasted it. It's OK. Not remarkable and, for me, not worth $75 a bottle.

smokinjoe
05-17-2013, 10:59
Have to disagree with you Smokinjoe on leaving it to the pros in Kentucky. The "pros" in Kentucky make both good bourbon and bad bourbon. Yes they do it at scale and yes some of it is very good and very inexpensive. Most of the micro product is very young right now and a lot of it drinks poorly for way too much money. However, with business realities and learning curves being what they are - their quality will improve pretty quickly. Now you may choose not to buy their product until it meets your standards, but there is an amazing amount of learning, innovation and experimentation (I'll leave the buffalo trace experimental collection for another thread) happening in craft distilling right now. Sure there are some over-priced duds, and quite a few of them at that, but there are also some gems. I have no doubt the Craft Distiller bourbon quality will improve enough to rival the quality of some of the best bourbons made anywhere, but probably never at the same price. That is simply a matter of scale - when you put away 10,000 or 100,000 barrels a year your cooperage costs and materials costs decline dramatically. I think the "house style" whiskies are going to make the "pros from Kentucky" raise their game. People like local products - sure HH, or BT, or , BF, or JB may make great whiskey but their strength of consistency at scale is actually a weakness in that it's the same no matter where you are. I think the corollary of craft beer will hold true - Budweiser sales have been declining for years while craft beer sales have been taking away share in aggregate every year for the last 10 years or more. It'll be interesting to see what happens - personally I think the next 5-10 years will be a lot of fun for Whiskey consumers. Besides the dusties of tomorrow are being put on shelves somewhere today.

I can honestly say that the worst bourbon that I have tasted from a current major (that wasn't funked out for some reason), is miles better than the GB bottles that I've tried. And, some of the funked out bottles were better, too...

I think the micros can, and some in fact do, a nice job with gins, vodkas, corn whiskey, and other artisan specialty whiskies. Leopold's American Small Batch Whiskey is stellar, for example. BTW, I understand they could call that a bourbon, but didn't, and it doesn't taste like a bourbon. But, it's really good. I'm on my third bottle...;)Some really nice things out of Corsair, too. Some of the Balcones things are OK, too. I'm hoping for good things out of Smooth Ambler, because I really like the guy's style here on SB. But, besides Berkshire Mountains bourbon, I haven't tasted a bourbon from a micro that actually tasted like a bourbon.

You seem to think that the majors are just sitting around and simply pumping out the same mass produced whiskey as they always have. Nothing could be farther from the fact. The BTEC is more than an exception for another thread. HH has things in their rickhouses that are way out there in the experimentation vein. Many times it is real experimentation that started decades ago, and way before the wave of crafts even thought about quitting their day job as a plastic salesman to become whiskey makers. :D

Balcones Winston
05-17-2013, 11:09
I'm getting a bottle.

p_elliott
05-17-2013, 11:37
I'm getting a bottle.

Are nucking futs ?

squire
05-17-2013, 11:58
Would appreciate your thoughts Winston.

Balcones Winston
05-17-2013, 12:40
Are nucking futs ?

It's research :D gotta be familiar with the competition ;)

MyOldKyDram
05-17-2013, 12:48
I figured you lost a bet.

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 13:12
You seem to think that the majors are just sitting around and simply pumping out the same mass produced whiskey as they always have. Nothing could be farther from the fact. The BTEC is more than an exception for another thread. HH has things in their rickhouses that are way out there in the experimentation vein. Many times it is real experimentation that started decades ago, and way before the wave of crafts even thought about quitting their day job as a plastic salesman to become whiskey makers. :D I just wanted to call out the BTEC is the most public example of Large distillery experimentation, (and it is definitely thread worthy but not exactly on this topic) and yes the majors are all working hard trying new things behind the scenes. MM46 is another of the rare "new" product experiment from a major, as are the numerous flavored whiskies now taking residence on shelves. But for the vast majority of Whiskey drinkers, the major's experiments are mostly unknown - very few whisky drinkers get to speak with master distillers or rickhouse managers. But those whiskey drinkers do frequent their local stores where there will usually be a display or feature space featuring the local or regional craft distiller. And given the lack of pre-conceived notions about the brand, those distilleries have the freedom (and/or desperation) to try new things at a rapid rate in the marketplace seeing what people will open their wallet for - on a micro level of course. I've tasted and enjoyed more than a few craft distillery products, and I've supported the ones I liked with my wallet, and wished the ones I didn't like, best of luck. My thought is the more the merrier and quality will win out over time, usually. But you are right craft distillers strengths so far aren't in Bourbon - although I think Balcones may change some minds with their new bourbon for those lucky enough to taste it. It'll be fun watching what happens.

Balcones Winston
05-17-2013, 13:19
Would appreciate your thoughts Winston.

Hopefully Chip will let me buy it as a "business expense" :D

Otherwise I wouldn't pay the money. I have enough trouble justifying 750mls over $100 as it is.

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 13:40
Right there with you Winston the $100 threshold. Hopefully Garrison Brothers will be at one of the fall festivals because I'd like to taste it, though regardless of how good it might be, my wallet will stay closed at that price. The money I've saved from attending Whiskey events has more than paid for itself in bottles I haven't bought. Of course the savings, and then some, have all been spent on bottles I did buy so there you.....

weller_tex
05-17-2013, 14:54
Butterscotch are you kidding I was looking around for a cat to lick it's ass to get the taste out of my mouth.

uucckk..shudder.. :bigeyes:you and the the esteemed Mr. Cowdery and Wade seem to have a couple of widely differing opinions:grin:

wadewood
05-17-2013, 16:16
uucckk..shudder.. :bigeyes:you and the the esteemed Mr. Cowdery and Wade seem to have a couple of widely differing opinions:grin: I said that I had tasted out of a barrel some intense butterscotch; it was not released GB product.

squire
05-17-2013, 18:51
Winston you can pass this on to Chip from me, the way to show loyalty to your customers is make an affordable product.

p_elliott
05-18-2013, 07:07
Winston you can pass this on to Chip from me, the way to show loyalty to your customers is make an affordable product.Chip is a member of this site can't remember his user name though.

michang5
05-18-2013, 08:08
Guys, I don't have the longevity of some to be taken seriously here, but I feel the need to say that this thread has taken a very poor turn.

Full disclosure: One of my best friends and old bosses worked with Dan Garrison in a past career, but I have not met the man, visited his operations, or tried his bourbon. I have no dog in this fight.

But it seems that people are unfairly piling on here. You are free to question the pricing of GB products. You are free to argue value. You can choose to review the bourbon positively or negatively. I personally enjoy the discourse, and it has helped me make many a purchase decision. For example, I have chosen not to spend $60-80 on GB after seeing some of the reviews here.

But questioning the motives of positive reviewers is uncalled for. Repeating over and over (here and on other similar threads) that the ONE bottle you tried was the worst dreck ever seems excessive and calls into question the motives just as much as those praising it. Say it once and move on. Not to mention it's a different product/expression and therefore not a fair appraisal. And finally, inviting those associated with a competitor distillery a hundred or so miles away to pile on just reeks of pettiness.

I live very close to both Balcones and GB. I hope to visit both someday and taste their hard work. If the price is appropriate, I hope to buy bottles from both. I want both to thrive and form a Magic-Bird rivalry, improving both operations.

Ultimately, we all vote with our wallets. If you don't agree with a company, make your (relevant) argument, and buy elsewhere.

smokinjoe
05-18-2013, 09:50
Thank you Mic, for clearly establishing what we are free to question, argue, and choose; enumerating how many times we may express an opinion; and providing clarity to peoples motives. Not to mention the nifty 3 step process from opinion formation to purchasing location. I'll be sure to try and keep all of that in mind. :rolleyes:

Flyfish
05-18-2013, 10:23
About three weeks ago our local paper did a feature story on a new microdistillery in the area. The owner and sole operator said, "My goal is to produce the best tasting whiskey I can, sparing no expense of time or money." A 375 of his Old Homicide Rye is to sell for $95. Part of the cost is attributable to the economy of scale issue, part to "spare no expense," and part, he says, to taxes and fees. In addition, because Ohio is a control state, he doesn't really get to determine the price. What is priceless, though, is the conclusion of the story. "I don't drink whiskey at all," he said. "I drink red wine." Seems like a natural partner in promoting his product might be Robert Parker.

HighInTheMtns
05-18-2013, 10:24
And finally, inviting those associated with a competitor distillery a hundred or so miles away to pile on just reeks of pettiness.
Probably best not to level unfounded accusations at fellow SB.com members:

Garrison just released a 136pr "Cowboy Bourbon" to the market, in 375ml. It's pretty damn pricey, as Dan admits, so idk if I'll get to try it, I hope he sends me a sample. I have heard from others that Garrison straight out of the barrel is some of the best bourbon they've ever had.
Doesn't sound like someone who would be interested in "piling on" does he?

squire
05-18-2013, 10:46
Frankly I think the conversation is developing exactly as it should on a Bourbon board.

Balcones Winston
05-21-2013, 14:21
Chip is a member of this site can't remember his user name though.
OT Whisky but he doesn't come on here anymore.

Balcones Winston
05-21-2013, 14:22
Winston you can pass this on to Chip from me, the way to show loyalty to your customers is make an affordable product.

Not sure what you're inferring by this.

smknjoe
05-21-2013, 14:36
Have you had a chance to try it yet?

and

Although I have not tried any of your stuff yet, I have seen some of it on shelves at reasonable prices. I also very much appreciate you not shoving TEXAS!!! down my throat like some others do. That's the most unoriginal, yet most ubiquitous marketing around here.

Balcones Winston
05-21-2013, 14:46
Probably best not to level unfounded accusations at fellow SB.com members:

Doesn't sound like someone who would be interested in "piling on" does he?

:D Thanks. I consider Dan a friend, and I applaud him and his efforts. I'm pretty excited to try the Cowboy Bourbon.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and we're all aware that people have tastes specific to themselves. Just the same as how Balcones isn't for everyone, I suspect Garrison Bros may be subject to the same scrutiny at times. But, both Balcones and Garrison have been doing this for several years now, and we're still alive and kicking, so we're doing something right ;)

Balcones Winston
05-21-2013, 14:49
Have you had a chance to try it yet?
No, not yet. I'm going to see if Chip wants me to pick a bottle up for us.

Although I have not tried any of your stuff yet, I have seen some of it on shelves at reasonable prices. I also very much appreciate you not shoving TEXAS!!! down my throat like some others do. That's the most unoriginal, yet most ubiquitous marketing around here.
Hahaha. Our joke around the distillery is "the bigger it says TEXAS on the bottle, the less likely it was actually made here" :D

We're definitely proud of our Texas heritage, but that shouldn't be the selling point of the juice. We want people to judge us by the quality of the whiskey, not where we made it.

gburger
05-21-2013, 20:30
I like Dan, his team, and his whiskey. I'll also say this about him. He knows his audience. Not only will these sell, the people who buy them will consider themselves privileged.

Dan asked the distributor to favor the stores in the towns neighboring the distillery. Those sales will be a nice payday for the stores too, which they will appreciate. One reason for his pricing is that he seldom sees stores selling his bourbon at the suggested retail. The demand is so great most of the stores mark it up.

Unlike some craft distillers, who can't wait to get their products into major markets, Garrison expects it will be years before he even tries to sell outside of Texas. It was about this time last year when he started to sell in Houston and I'm not sure if he's in Dallas-Fort Worth even yet. It will be fine with him if he never sells it outside of Texas.

The point is that he is extremely and demonstrably loyal to his customers, neighbors, and the other folks who have supported him. It's an object lesson in brand building. To understand and appreciate what Garrison is doing, you have to understand and appreciate Texas and Texans. Not everyone does.

He's also unusual in making one mash bill and selling only straight bourbon, although in a couple of different iterations. The distillery itself and its setting are beautiful, a tourism dream.

You may not like his whiskey or the way he markets it, but to say he is "all hat and no cows" suggests the speaker doesn't understand the expression. You also might want to check Texas law, because I believe he is allowed to shoot you for that.

Well said Chuck, I'll be seeing Dan in a couple of weeks. I'm having a photography workshop at his place. Bourbon, fried chicken and photography.
And oh one more thing, just about everyone in Texas carries a gun. God Bless Texas.

cowdery
05-22-2013, 00:09
Well said Chuck, I'll be seeing Dan in a couple of weeks. I'm having a photography workshop at his place. Bourbon, fried chicken and photography.
And oh one more thing, just about everyone in Texas carries a gun. God Bless Texas.

Dan's place is very photogenic.

I said something about Dan once that he liked so well he wrote it on the wall at the distillery: "Never tell a Texan he can't do something."

Another craft distiller, Ralph Erenzo at Tuthilltown in New York, says you need two qualities to accomplish anything in life: gumption and tenacity. I admire those qualities in all of the craft distillers I know.

SMOWK
05-22-2013, 09:48
If I got mad every time I saw something that was overpriced, I wouldn't be a very happy person. But I am! And I owe it all to good, cheap bourbon!

squire
05-22-2013, 11:38
SMOWK those words will be my next toast.

Balcones Winston
05-29-2013, 11:47
Well my bottle has arrived at Spec's, I'll be picking it up later today :D

Balcones Winston
05-29-2013, 19:58
http://i.imgur.com/lKcJ9tx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/a5K2AXS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vYAPzOQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RGfCTr8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZGCRXdA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/P5Fjrju.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6tk00MZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dUFVark.jpg

MyOldKyDram
05-29-2013, 20:01
That's a whole lotta presentation for a 3 year old bourbon.

Balcones Winston
05-29-2013, 20:06
That's a whole lotta presentation for a 3 year old bourbon.Would you be happier if they sold it in plastic? Lol

MyOldKyDram
05-29-2013, 20:09
Guessing it would be more in line with the product inside. Just guessing here.

Don_Draper
05-29-2013, 20:13
Im so jealous right now. I looked at every Specs in Houston and could not get one :(. Let me know how it is bc im addicted to their regular bottle.

smknjoe
05-29-2013, 20:17
I counted Texas five times on the packaging alone. That's all I needed to see...sign me up for a case!

Seriously, I hope it's very fine bourbon for that price. Let us know how it is.

LostBottle
05-29-2013, 21:03
The only thing they forgot to add in that fancy packaging is a self-addressed stamped envelope in which to mail the $140.01 refund request.

CaptainQ
05-29-2013, 21:09
"never leave it in your truck"

"cut it with club soda"

:bigeyes: :slappin:

squire
05-29-2013, 21:13
Guess we won't be seeing those 'Garrison on Board' stickers on pickup truck bumpers.

Balcones Winston
05-29-2013, 23:20
Im so jealous right now. I looked at every Specs in Houston and could not get one :(. Let me know how it is bc im addicted to their regular bottle.

I think they said a very significant portion of it went to the Hill Country stores. Maybe call around there? If it's good I may go look for another bottle while in San Antonio this weekend

squire
05-30-2013, 05:25
Does that mean some tasting notes today Winston?

wadewood
05-30-2013, 14:39
Im so jealous right now. I looked at every Specs in Houston and could not get one :(. Let me know how it is bc im addicted to their regular bottle. Poison Girl bar bought a bottle so you can go try it there.

Don_Draper
05-30-2013, 15:50
Poison Girl bar bought a bottle so you can go try it there.

I live in VA boys. My chance to try it has come and gone :(. I heard Poison Girl also serves PVW for relatively cheap. True?

timd
05-31-2013, 18:12
I live in VA boys. My chance to try it has come and gone :(. I heard Poison Girl also serves PVW for relatively cheap. True?

No comment. Don't want to ruin a good thing :lol:

As for the GB Cowboy bourbon - for that price they should do what Wild Turkey is doing with coke - throw in a bottle of club soda.

Seriously Don_Draper - call the Spec's Smith Street Store (downtown Houston) and ask them to ship it. They can and will if they have it (assuming you're not a no-ship state). It shows in inventory right now for $154.73

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/showpage?keyword=garrison&pageid=search

If you weren't down here this week (Wed) when it came out, that's why you didn't find it.

It's not flying off the shelves by any stretch (sorry, but we Texans aren't as totally gullible as people think...). I know that at least two Specs here in Dallas have couple of bottles - because they've texted me to offer a bottle yesterday and today :skep:. If you can't get it via Specs, PM me and I'll track one down for you if you want.

For the record: I've bought more than a few bottles of regular Garrison early on (their first release ever was a 375ml for $80 available only in the Hill Country area)... and I've tried it many times. I have traded away most of my bottles (I have one of the first 750ml releases still) and won't buy anymore. I just don't find the regular releases drinkable at any price.

squire
05-31-2013, 18:18
Thanks for that post timd, objective first hand information is always welcome.

ATXWhiskey
05-31-2013, 21:12
Winston! Where is our review!!!?

Balcones Winston
06-01-2013, 12:20
I will say this much...

If you like Garrison Bros whiskey, you will LOVE this bourbon.

If you don't like Garrison Bros whiskey, you could probably find a few nice things to say about this bourbon anyway.

smknjoe
06-01-2013, 12:30
Thanks Winston.

Maybe someone could post the details vicariously. :grin:

timd
06-01-2013, 13:10
Thanks Winston.

Maybe someone could post the details vicariously. :grin:

I'll see if I can wrangle a taste out of Chip & Winston. Not sure if the bottle is in Waco or he brought it back to Dallas... either way, I'll try to snag a tiny sip at some point.

Balcones Winston
06-01-2013, 13:36
I'll see if I can wrangle a taste out of Chip & Winston. Not sure if the bottle is in Waco or he brought it back to Dallas... either way, I'll try to snag a tiny sip at some point.

It's in Waco. You need to come down for the day again sometime soon anyway.

smokinjoe
06-01-2013, 14:22
I will say this much...

If you like Garrison Bros whiskey, you will LOVE this bourbon.

If you don't like Garrison Bros whiskey, you could probably find a few nice things to say about this bourbon anyway.

BW, for the Option #2 people, can I consider a positive comment on the snazzy packaging as a possible nice thing? :D

Balcones Winston
06-01-2013, 14:41
I just realized we have two Smokin' Joes

No wonder I was confused rofl

smknjoe
06-01-2013, 14:56
I'm Smknjoe #2 and Smokinjoe is "The Original Smokinjoe"

Not only is he the current bourbonian of the year, but he has actually tasted the standard Garrison Brothers. I have not tried it yet.

Don_Draper
06-01-2013, 15:13
No comment. Don't want to ruin a good thing :lol:

As for the GB Cowboy bourbon - for that price they should do what Wild Turkey is doing with coke - throw in a bottle of club soda.

Seriously Don_Draper - call the Spec's Smith Street Store (downtown Houston) and ask them to ship it. They can and will if they have it (assuming you're not a no-ship state). It shows in inventory right now for $154.73

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/showpage?keyword=garrison&pageid=search

If you weren't down here this week (Wed) when it came out, that's why you didn't find it.

It's not flying off the shelves by any stretch (sorry, but we Texans aren't as totally gullible as people think...). I know that at least two Specs here in Dallas have couple of bottles - because they've texted me to offer a bottle yesterday and today :skep:. If you can't get it via Specs, PM me and I'll track one down for you if you want.

For the record: I've bought more than a few bottles of regular Garrison early on (their first release ever was a 375ml for $80 available only in the Hill Country area)... and I've tried it many times. I have traded away most of my bottles (I have one of the first 750ml releases still) and won't buy anymore. I just don't find the regular releases drinkable at any price.

Timd thank you for this tip!! I ordered some today.

squire
06-01-2013, 20:28
I only complement the package when she smiles at me.

Don_Draper
06-03-2013, 14:40
Well I ordered it from Spec's...was so excited. And then I got an email today saying they were out, and it would be nearly impossible to find. I'm so bummed :(

Balcones Winston
06-03-2013, 14:47
Well I ordered it from Spec's...was so excited. And then I got an email today saying they were out, and it would be nearly impossible to find. I'm so bummed :(
On the plus side, now you can buy 8 bottles of Ritt BiB

Don_Draper
06-03-2013, 15:27
Never had it. Ill take that as a recommend and give it a try.

Don_Draper
06-03-2013, 15:28
I do have some Balcones on order.

timd
06-03-2013, 15:39

PM me if you want me hunt for it. I was told on Saturday that the Dallas store will get 3-5 more later this week if I wanted it (they only got 2 initially). I declined at that time, but can see what my options are if I want to get back in.

They made 600+, and at that price & age, in a small bottle, it's not going to be impossible to find... just may take some patience. The distribution has been pretty broad - they are trying to get at least 1 or 2 into most every bigger store in the state, so nobody is getting bulk (i.e. cases of it) - but "everybody" has access to one or two...

LMK - I'd be happy to help if I can, if you really want it. Can't say I'd be remotely interested myself, but happy to facilitate for you.

Balcones Winston
06-03-2013, 16:06
PM me if you want me hunt for it. I was told on Saturday that the Dallas store will get 3-5 more later this week if I wanted it (they only got 2 initially). I declined at that time, but can see what my options are if I want to get back in.

They made 600+, and at that price & age, in a small bottle, it's not going to be impossible to find... just may take some patience. The distribution has been pretty broad - they are trying to get at least 1 or 2 into most every bigger store in the state, so nobody is getting bulk (i.e. cases of it) - but "everybody" has access to one or two...

LMK - I'd be happy to help if I can, if you really want it. Can't say I'd be remotely interested myself, but happy to facilitate for you.

Pretty sure True Spirits has it. But costs more than Spec's.

Balcones Winston
06-03-2013, 16:07
I do have some Balcones on order.

Atta boy! Which one?

timd
06-03-2013, 16:17
Pretty sure True Spirits has it. But costs more than Spec's.

Yeah, everyplace will be more than the Dallas & Smith Street Specs... The one up here by me even got it, but it was like $164 or something...

Balcones Winston
06-03-2013, 16:26
Yeah, everyplace will be more than the Dallas & Smith Street Specs... The one up here by me even got it, but it was like $164 or something...

Mine came to $167 credit price, after tax too.

timd
06-03-2013, 16:37
Mine came to $167 credit price, after tax too.

The local specs was $164 cash price/pre-tax... so it'll be closer to $185 with tax if paid with credit card.:bigeyes:

Don_Draper
06-03-2013, 18:41
Atta boy! Which one?

Winston. Just got it today. I got the True Blue and Cask Strength. Wasnt a big fan of the nose on True Blue but def like the corn taste. The Cask Strength tastes a little more like bourbon. I do like them both however. I tried some Garrison Bros after the True Blue to compare and the residual on my pallet made the Garrion Bros tastes fishy. Lol. Def need to have a clean pallet for the Garrison Bros. lol

Balcones Winston
06-03-2013, 21:53
Winston. Just got it today. I got the True Blue and Cask Strength. Wasnt a big fan of the nose on True Blue but def like the corn taste. The Cask Strength tastes a little more like bourbon. I do like them both however. I tried some Garrison Bros after the True Blue to compare and the residual on my pallet made the Garrion Bros tastes fishy. Lol. Def need to have a clean pallet for the Garrison Bros. lol
True blue... And cask strength? So 100 proof TB and cask strength TB?

Don_Draper
06-04-2013, 13:17
True blue... And cask strength? So 100 proof TB and cask strength TB?

Yup...that would be the ones.

Bmac
06-17-2013, 21:07
I have to take back the harsh words I said about GB. I had their two-year wheated bourbon today. They had a bottle at a local Snuffer's and at 6 bux a shot, why not. It was good! Very good! A hell of a lot better than I expected. Full of flavor and no burn. Very smooth and sweet. I may actually buy a bottle now.

JVande
08-02-2013, 18:46
Drinking a 2012 regular release Garrison Brothers. What a joke at the price point. Good thing I didn't buy the bottle and I am sitting beachside...

JVande
08-19-2013, 18:53
Not that I am recommending it, but a one lone bottle of this "Cowboy Bourbon" is at the Big Specs in Dallas. Buyer Beware...

squire
08-19-2013, 19:09
Maybe I should make out a Christmas list of what not to give me.

z327
08-19-2013, 21:56
Not that I am recommending it, but a one lone bottle of this "Cowboy Bourbon" is at the Big Specs in Dallas. Buyer Beware...
I saw four in the glass case when I was there on Friday.

Hye1
12-20-2013, 23:36
It has taken every ounce of energy I have NOT to reply to this thread. Fortunately, now I don't have to. I'll let Jim Murray' 2014 Whisky Bible review of Cowboy Bourbon from Garrison Brothers do the talking for me.

Sincere thanks to Winston, Chuck, Wade and a few others for coming to my defense here. I can assure all of you that the boys round here have no intention of overpricing or gouging bourbon drinkers. We love bourbon drinkers. We are bourbon drinkers.

Our goal is simple: We want to make the best bourbon ever made. And we're getting there.

squire
12-21-2013, 00:14
Sir, I place little stock in Mr. Murray's accolades, he is after all the chap who proclaimed Beam's standard 4 year old 80 proof Rye to be a World class dram. Nor do I give a hoot if every ounce of your product is distilled from grains grown within a stone's throw of your front door and all the water comes from your private well. I'm unimpressed by a hand written label or a bottle being presented in a useless wooden box.

What counts is the whisky. If you make it good it will be acknowledged as such by us who drink it rather than those who write reviews for a living. Make it good and you need not be defensive in the least.

wadewood
12-21-2013, 07:34
Sir, I place little stock in Mr. Murray's accolades.....

What counts is the whisky. If you make it good it will be acknowledged as such by us who drink it rather than those who write reviews for a living. Make it good and you need not be defensive in the least.

Squire, I have far more respect for Jim Murray than I do of those so called double gold medals. Yeah, he occasionally rates things that I think he is off his rocker. He has been doing this long time and rates thousands of whiskies; all palettes have off nights. I attended a Garrison tasting a couple of weeks ago and Dan poured all there some of his Cowboy Bourbon. I thought it was very nice and the best craft distilled whiskey I have tried to date.

squire
12-21-2013, 07:59
Wade I do put some stock in the first hand impressions of our members and you've been around for awhile. Could you give us some tasting notes?

fishnbowljoe
12-21-2013, 09:37
I know I'm in the minority here as I don't particularly care for Four Roses products. Just not my cup of tea. That being said, I'm sure as hell not gonna call out Jim Rutledge and Four Roses and make comments that could be misunderstood, or might even be considered as inappropriate. There's been way too much of that here lately. Folks have called out the Van Winkles, the Hendersons, Balcones, and others here on this site. Even Dave Pickerel was given a hard time before folks found out who he was, and what he was trying to accomplish. It's okay if you don't like something, or disagree with certain matters. Discussion is encouraged here. But, what comes across as a personal affront, is totally uncalled for IMHO. Let's try and be a little more considerate, and start tempering our comments some.

Joe

TunnelTiger
12-21-2013, 13:39
Joe - I've read your comments several times and to a degree I agree with everything you wrote. That being said craft distillers that are members of the site and tout their products siting reviews or medals must be mature enough to accept some positive criticism. Being in mfg my entire adult life I know that is hard to do but is the only way to improve your product.

Yes I also agree that some of the comments become personal and that is sad.

weller_tex
12-21-2013, 17:41
Squire, I have far more respect for Jim Murray than I do of those so called double gold medals. Yeah, he occasionally rates things that I think he is off his rocker. He has been doing this long time and rates thousands of whiskies; all palettes have off nights. I attended a Garrison tasting a couple of weeks ago and Dan poured all there some of his Cowboy Bourbon. I thought it was very nice and the best craft distilled whiskey I have tried to date.
You originally said that you thought the pricing though was really pushing it..and that was my original point. I am happy he is enjoying success but even for a limited bottling that price is nuts. It comes across to me as an attempt to make the bottling more limited and prestigious to a certain set of customers just by jacking the price up into the stratosphere for bourbons. I had some of Dans standard bourbon and it is ok, but no way would I pay 75 for it..and these days I just can't justify that at all. Maybe if he has some success and more cash flow he will lower the price down into 40s..I would be happy to support a Texas product at that price.

wadewood
12-21-2013, 17:59
You originally said that you thought the pricing though was really pushing it.. And I still think that, but I'm frugal. The most I've ever spent for a bourbon is $120 and that was for an 18 YO barrel proof SW Van Winkle (Binny's custom bottling).

As far as making bottlings limited on purpose for marketing to be prestigious I think Garrison has plenty of company.

squire
12-21-2013, 18:07
You can support a Texas product at a good price, go pay a visit to Ranger Creek in San Antonio.

wadewood
12-21-2013, 18:57
You can support a Texas product at a good price, go pay a visit to Ranger Creek in San Antonio.

Ranger Creek bourbon/ryes have been $35 to $40 for 375ml bottles.

squire
12-21-2013, 20:47
Beats $160 for a 375 bottle.

LCWoody
12-22-2013, 12:46
I don't believe a Texas "bourbon" will every live up to what to a true bourbon drinkers expectations are. People that have been drinking KY. bourbon for 10, 15, or 20 years have a certain taste profile that they expect from bourbon and I don't believe that TX. "bourbon" will get there. My reasoning is climate, elevation, temperatures, and the lengths of the seasons. KY and TEN are in the sweet spot of the USA. The fact is it's stays to hot in TX. and you will not get the maturity out of a whiskey. (And when I say maturity Im referring to time in the barrel) That doesn't mean that TX can't put out a good whiskey, it's just not going to be what some people (old timers and new comers) consider good bourbon. (And in a round about way GB says that it's not a KY bourbon on their home page)
Because I live next to the great state of TX. I have been able to try a lot of TX "bourbon" including Garrison Bros. I have yet too find one that lives up to what I think is bourbon. Some have been good whiskey. To me if the TX distilleries took a different apache and dropped the bourbon angle people would look at it and taste it in a different way. All of that said $160 is to much money (to me) on a whiskey that is that young. I know that GB is not that old of a brand and that you have to make money, but it's hard to justify that price when you walk a little further down the isles and Bookers is $45 or Henry McKenna 10y BIB is $25.

squire
12-22-2013, 13:13
If you expect to consistently get a Bookers price you better meet or exceed a Bookers level.

gburger
12-23-2013, 16:52
Beats $160 for a 375 bottle.
Ranger Creek is the same price as Garrison's normal Bourbon, once you double the 375ml price.
I bought some Ranger and in my opinion it is just okay, still a bit young for me.
I am friends with Dan and have many of his bottles of bourbon and have been out there lots of times. So my feelings are a bit skewed.
The bottling in question, The Cowboy Bourbon, was a one off that Dan did, you cannot compare that to other bottlings. I had a chance to buy it, but passed. $150 for 375ml was too much for me.
But why fault him for it. I see many other "special" bottles out there trying to do the same thing.
Good for Dan, he put out those bottles and sold everyone of them, and sold them quick.
What would have been bad for him is if he put those bottles out and only sold a 1/3 of them, but they all sold.
I still see last year's Woodford Reserve's master collection of the 2-375ml of Ryes in many stores. I bought it last year, and after tasting it, wish I would have saved my money.
This year's Malt selections by them have been panned, so I am passing on them.
However there are people out there that have different tastes and all of the products out there will go.
I bought a bottle of AE Cask strength the other day for $150. After tasting it, I went back and bought another one. I really like it.
Balcones Single Malt is fantastic to me, but I hate their Brimstone. My tastes.
Someone gave me some maple flavored bourbon, and after drinking some of it, I felt a bit ill and at the same time wanting some pancakes and bacon.
But to each his own.
One of Dan Garrison's mottos is to make the finest bourbon whiskey he can. Is he doing it? Will he ever? Who knows, but at least he is making it himself and not buying it from LDI or someone else and re-bottling it with some made up name from the past.
So I say to everyone here, just enjoy a nice pour of your favorite bourbon and relax.

DBM
12-24-2013, 12:25
After reading this and the AE CS threads, both revived from the dead, the similarities are obvious. Craft distiller(producer) has a unique/special/exceptional product and chooses to sell for an amount of money that reaches beyond the price points of mature, established and respected labels. SB.com members, on cue, proclaim their disgust for such an egregious, greedy decision and most have never even tried the product.

Without trying to define my opinion, I will get to the summary:

More power to them, and the big boys should learn a thing or two. I think it's ignorant for ORVW, BT and HH to not profit (more) from the hype of their limited release products. If it takes a $150 (AE CS) or $160 (GB Cowboy Bourbon) price tag and a limited release to market a unique/special/exceptional product, all the better! AE and Garrison aren't going to generate enough revenue to support their businesses from these limited releases, but they are getting their best product in the hands of their best customers who will likely purchase across their entire portfolio. And the best part, it's good whisky!!!

Bravo!