PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Personal Blends, or mixes, of Whiskies

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 05:19
I've noticed in quite a few threads here that some people will make a "house blend" from 2 or 3 bourbons or ryes. I was hopeful that people might be willing to share some of their preferred recipes, ratios and components, or to at least share some of their mistakes, in order to shorten my learning curve as ease the burden on my wallet. Thanks

smokinjoe
05-17-2013, 07:10
SB Blend. For me, it's 3:1 OWA to Weller 12. Somebody here suggested dropping a little HH Larceny in there, which I did, and was very pleased with the results. Just can't remember what the ratio was. :crazy:

I fully understand the desire to shorten the learning curve and reduce costs, but the fun of Gillmanizing is in the journey and process. Wallet be damned!! :D

ChainWhip
05-17-2013, 07:54
My current favorite is a 1:1 vatting of ECBP:EC12.

The SB Blend is pretty tasty too.

smknjoe
05-17-2013, 08:06
SB Blend. For me, it's 3:1 OWA to Weller 12. Somebody here suggested dropping a little HH Larceny in there, which I did, and was very pleased with the results. Just can't remember what the ratio was. :crazy:

I fully understand the desire to shorten the learning curve and reduce costs, but the fun of Gillmanizing is in the journey and process. Wallet be damned!! :D

Most like a 1:1. Why do you use those proportions?

I don't care for Weller12 as it's too sooty and almost scotch like. The last bottle I had I gave away. While I was at the Houston meet-up last week Randy and Ed said the older bottles of Weller 12 with the embossed wheat on the glass were better, but I didn't really push them as to why they were better. Can you possibly elaborate?

T Comp
05-17-2013, 08:22

I don't care for Weller12 as it's too sooty and almost scotch like. The last bottle I had I gave away. While I was at the Houston meet-up last week Randy and Ed said the older bottles of Weller 12 with the embossed wheat on the glass were better, but I didn't really push them as to why they were better. Can you possibly elaborate?

I had enough embossed 12s to say they are sooty too. The best post BT owned 12s were the mistaken Everett's bottling (mistaken DSP 16 barrel viewed on web cam) and a Binny's that was 14 Bernheim distilled. I much prefer OWA and use Joe's lesser 12 proportion too if doing the SB blend.

smknjoe
05-17-2013, 08:36
I knew there was one person on the board that shared my sooty weller12 opinion. Maybe I'll buy another bottle one of these days and try the blend.

Speaking of 12yr. DSP-16, I had some at the tasting last week and it was NOTHING like current Weller 12 or Lot B (which taste the same to me). Man, it was good stuff! Sweet and almost buttery. Yum, yum.

AaronWF
05-17-2013, 08:45
I was pretty happy with a blend of Dickel Barrel Select and Handy. The Handy ramped up the power and spice of the DBS nicely.

I also used some Dickel 12 to help me finish a bottle of WTRR Rye 6yo that I did not like.

Kentucky rye does great things to Dickel (bourbon, or TN whisky, whatever you want to call it, I just want to be clear I'm not talking about the Dickel Rye).

shoshani
05-17-2013, 08:47
My preferred "house blend" is a straight mixture of one part OGD BIB to two parts VOB BIB.

Either is very good on its own, but added to each other they reach a sort of synergy.

Wryguy
05-17-2013, 08:54
The fun is in the experimenting! Best blend I think I've had was an on the spot decision to vat St. George Single Malt Batch 12 with a HW16 1:1. Another great one is the Airigh Nam Beist - Corryvreckan combo also 1:1. SB blend is good too, though I prefer to throw a dollop of BMHSmB into my OWA, cause I want a little rye in the mix. Wheaters are great, but they're so soft sometimes. Have fun exploring! Wallet be damned.

wmpevans
05-17-2013, 08:55
My Weller SB Blend is 50% OWA and 25% W12 and 25% WSR.

Love it.

smokinjoe
05-17-2013, 09:25

Why those proportions? Uh, because I like it? :D Seriously though, I have not been a fan of the W12 for the last several years. It has really thinned out IMO, and is too dry and almost astringent these days. I adore the OWA, and it's thick juiciness (Hey, I used the word, sorta! :D), and I go heavy on it. The W12 does add a bit of that woodiness to it that makes for the perfect blend for my Mack Truck palate.

squire
05-17-2013, 11:16
A 1:1 of Barton and Grand Dad work for me, or you can drink them separately and mix them internally.

dohidied
05-17-2013, 14:23
I usually have a bottle of the obligatory SB blend on hand. 1:1 W12 and OWA for me. I've never done any other blends very precisely, I usually just pour a few things in a glass. I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor. The other day I opened my first bottle of BH and tried a bit mixed with OGD114. That is a mixture I will be exploring for sure.

smknjoe
05-17-2013, 14:42
I'm enjoying some Old Charter 8 with a bit of Ritt BIB mixed in. That gives a sweet, boring bourbon quite a nice flavor.

That sounds pretty good actually. OC can be a little boring with just the one sweet corn/butterscotch flavor (and a little wood.)

darylld911
05-17-2013, 15:48
My preferred ratio for the SB Blend is 60% OWA and 40% Weller 12. I agree with Joe - the journey is as important as the destination! I keep empty half-pint bottles for experimentation, and tried different ratios (60/40 in both directions, and 50/50) to pick which one I like best. Although, I've noticed more and more the variability in what I taste and when - so what is my favorite today might come in second place some other night! After I empty my current bottle, my strategy will be to try to do smaller vattings - in the desperate hope that one day I'll get 1/10th as good as fishnbowljoe :grin: (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/member.php?3455-fishnbowljoe)

WhiskyRI
05-17-2013, 17:18
The only Barton I seem to be able to get up here is 1792 and fewer and fewer places carry OGD - at any strength. But I'll keep an eye when I come down to Virginia this summer. Maybe being a border state with Kentucky will enhance the bourbon selection - it's been a long time since I was in the ABC stores there.

higgins
05-17-2013, 17:51
I have my gripes with the ABC stores, but one thing I can give them credit for is carrying the entire line of Old Grand-Dad.

squire
05-17-2013, 19:00
Praiseworthy indeed.

black mamba
05-17-2013, 20:31
My house blend approximates the flavor of ETL at about half the price. 50/50 blend of 4RYL and OGDBIB.

michang5
05-17-2013, 20:41
Timely post. I just snuck a few ounces of my 1:1 OWA and Weller 12 blend. I was hoping to wait the recommended week (minimum) to let it meld, but I really wanted a smooth sip to end my work week. Even after only 4 days I am extremely impressed! It softens the extra woodiness of the 12 (which is otherwise my favorite daily pour). And it evened out and gave more depth to the OWA, which I found a bit medicinal and sharp.

I plan on doing a blind 3-way test of the source bourbons along with the blend soon, but I am very pleased with the initial results this evening. Maybe I'll even go 4-way and compare some Larceny, too.

sailor22
05-18-2013, 09:37
3:1 OWA to Weller12 with a splash of 120proof Knob Creek SB works for me. Also enjoy OGD ND 86 and OGD ND BiB 1:1.

Gillman
05-18-2013, 10:54
It should be noted here that Steve (Sailor22) is a master vatter and came up with a humdinger during the recent Sampler weekend gatherings.

Gary

T Comp
05-18-2013, 11:03
It should be noted here that Steve (Sailor22) is a master vatter and came up with a humdinger during the recent Sampler weekend gatherings.

Gary

I'll second that...one of my favorites among a competitive crowd of many many many...others that weekend :cool:!

dmarkle
05-18-2013, 11:32
I had a overly woody, almost but not quite "musty" EC18 a while back. I always hated it. Never liked what I thought was the overwhelming eucalyptus flavor in it... I'm not sure if the bottle was off or what. I tried vatting that bottle 1 part EC18 to 2 parts Eagle Rare 10yo, and thought it was fantastic -- way greater than the sum of the parts.

squire
05-18-2013, 11:54
So, is someone going to share the Sailorman's recipe?

MrAtomic
05-18-2013, 15:15
3:1 OWA to Weller12 with a splash of 120 proof Knob Creek SB works for me.

This sounds great. I do something quite similar that's worked out well. 3:1 OWA to Weller 12 plus 0.5 of FRSB. I'll have to grab some Knob Creek SB and give Sailor22's recipe a try.

And I agree with the comments noting that Weller 12 has gotten increasingly dry and thin. I wonder if this change has anything to do with its increasing availability on the West coast. This is just anecdotal, of course, but years ago when Weller 12 was nowhere to be found in California, I think it tasted different. Now it's easy to find, but not quite as desirable. Then again, maybe my taste memory is playing tricks, or perhaps BT is making the same quantity of Weller 12 and just sending it to different markets.

T Comp
05-18-2013, 15:50
So, is someone going to share the Sailorman's recipe?

I believe Sailor has an interest in keeping that one to himself Squire. More than a few that much I know.

squire
05-18-2013, 17:22
All the more reason to visit Tallahassee.

michang5
05-18-2013, 19:27
The blind tasting throwdown I just conducted with with OWA, Weller 12 and the 50/50 blend was very eye opening.

First off, the Weller 12 came across as a unpleasant bomb of wet wood and resin. This really shocked me as W12 has been my favorite daily/value pour. I'd like to blame it on a bad bottle or decrease in overall quality as this third bottle seems much thinner and unbalanced than my previous two. But the simpler explanation would be that my palate has gotten better. Either way, it feels a bit like when I found out that Santa wasn't real.

The OWA (new NAS bottle) was quite a bit better than the 12. I much preferred the sweetness of the Antique to the wood bomb 12. But I could definitely detect a mild abrasiveness to the OWA -- more burn, more corn, less wood, less complexity overall. It tasted young and unrefined.

As expected, the blend was nice combination of sweetness, woodiness and complexity. I can't gush over it because tasting all three mostly exposed the weaknesses of the source bourbons. I expect to do another tasting soon against Larceny and the Jefferson's 18 I'm hiding in the back of the cabinet.

Gillman
05-19-2013, 04:24
With the last three (particular) bottles mentioned, it may well be no combination would work well, but I would try combining in proportions different than 1:1 since doing that can completely change the result. 3:1 might work better possibly, the OWA to the other. It's funny how, at least in my experience, sometimes even a few drops of one or the other changes the taste and certainly sometimes the mouthfeel. Of course there is a practical limit on how many variations you can try. :)

Gary

darylld911
05-19-2013, 04:25
Individually I've preferred OWA over W12 every time, but I think I like my SB blend better than OWA. Thus far it is the only mingle I've done where I really felt the result was greater than the sum of its parts (and I have to thank SB.com for providing it - who knows how long it would have taken me to find that through random combinations!!)

justataste
05-20-2013, 11:52
I've been enjoying a blend of OGD 114 and WSR 50/50. I've been very surprised. Usually how I cap off the evening now.

Trey Manthey
05-20-2013, 14:26
I'm usually not too adventurous with inter-distillery blends, but I'm always up for mixing two drams from the same distillery. I dig the SB blend ok, but it's just different, not better, IMO.

Both of these are high-dollar blends, but they work well and for my palate are better than the individual parts:

50/50 Wild Turkey American Spirit / Tradition
50/50 Hirsch 22 rye / Hirsch 25 rye

kyrocklover
05-20-2013, 14:35
I'm not much on vatting but I enjoy a 50/50 mix of ODG 114 and KC as well as a 50/50 mix of OGD 114 and KCSB.

smokinjoe
05-20-2013, 14:59
I've been enjoying a "Squire" now and again. ~3:1 VOBBOB to OGDBIB. Not sure if that's the ratio I'm going to settle on as in my wheelhouse, but I'm definitely favoring a higher percentage of the Barton in the mix.

I'll add that I am one that also finds the SB Blend to be a sum better than it's parts. Even though, I love OWA by itself.

Clavius
05-20-2013, 17:01
I did a 1:1 SB Blend a few months ago. It was fun to do and was quite good. However, if I do it again in the future I will try another ratio.

mbroo5880i
05-20-2013, 18:30
I've been enjoying a "Squire" now and again. ~3:1 VOBBOB to OGDBIB. Not sure if that's the ratio I'm going to settle on as in my wheelhouse, but I'm definitely favoring a higher percentage of the Barton in the mix.

I'll add that I am one that also finds the SB Blend to be a sum better than it's parts. Even though, I love OWA by itself.

I am such a newbie...I know that VOB is Very Old Barton (not sure what the BOB is). I also know that OGDBIB is Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. What does SB stand for? Thanks! Sorry for such a basic question!

squire
05-20-2013, 18:44
SB usually means Single Barrel and I suspect Joe meant BIB rather than BOB.

mbroo5880i
05-20-2013, 18:46
SB usually means Single Barrel.

Thanks! So when someone references a 1:1 SB blend they are mixing two single barrel bourbons in equal parts. I have never mixed bourbons but I might try the VOB/OGD blend. See, I am learning stuff already!:grin:

Phil T
05-20-2013, 18:47
I am such a newbie...I know that VOB is Very Old Barton (not sure what the BOB is). I also know that OGDBIB is Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond. What does SB stand for? Thanks! Sorry for such a basic question!

The BOB is a typo ( he meant BIB).

The SB is StraightBourbon. The name of this site. If you search SB blend or gillmanizing, there's a ton of good info about vatting

squire
05-20-2013, 18:59
Phil is correct (I really need to get my eyes checked) SB blend is a fairly recent phrase that does refer to our site and is a blend of Weller 12 year old (90 proof) and Old Weller Antique (107 proof). It can be 50/50 or whatever you prefer so what you wind up with is a drink about 100 proof with the attributes of the aged expression and the vibrancy of the higher proof younger expression.

mbroo5880i
05-20-2013, 19:05
Phil is correct (I really need to get my eyes checked) SB blend is a fairly recent phrase that does refer to our site and is a blend of Weller 12 year old (90 proof) and Old Weller Antique (107 proof). It can be 50/50 or whatever you prefer so what you wind up with is a drink about 100 proof with the attributes of the aged expression and the vibrancy of the higher proof younger expression.

Awesome. I already have OW12 and plan to try OWA so that is a natural blend to try. OGD and VOB sounds like a very inexpensive experiment that should be a fun try. Thanks! I am sure that I will ask a LOT more basic questions. I want to learn because the more I learn the more I will enjoy!

smokinjoe
05-20-2013, 19:34
Me don't type two good...:D Thanks for picking me up, fellas.

BTW mbroo, ask as many questions as you like. We are itchin' to show our knowledge, and Hoosiers are universally loved on SB! If I answer one of your questions though, get a second opinion...:D

Welcome aboard!
:toast:

mbroo5880i
05-20-2013, 19:40
Me don't type two good...:D Thanks for picking me up, fellas.

BTW mbroo, ask as many questions as you like. We are itchin' to show our knowledge, and Hoosiers are universally loved on SB! If I answer one of your questions though, get a second opinion...:D

Welcome aboard!
:toast:

Thank you. Obviously, Bourbonian of the Year, makes me pay more attention to your advice! Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to trying to a lot more and different bourbons!

mosugoji64
05-20-2013, 19:59

The last batch I made was a 60/40 OWA/W12 vatting. I've enjoyed that even more than the superb 50/50, so I'll probably stick with that ratio next time. But, as they say, YMMV and the fun is in the experimentation!

qman22
05-28-2013, 06:38
I've been enjoying my SB blend with a Weller 12 heavy ratio of 3:1. I like the oakyness of the W12 to dominate, with the OWA providing another layer of depth with its sweetness and thicker mouth-feel. I haven't been feeling the OWA heavy ratios as much...

black mamba
05-29-2013, 22:23
All this recent talk of 8 yr old OGD got me thinking . . . .
so I mixed (blended) OGDBIB with RR10 90 pf to get some wood notes along with the great spice flavor of OGD (about an 8 yr old average).

All I can say is, any of you that have both of these bourbons should RUN to the cabinet and blend these 50/50. It's outstanding!

squire
05-30-2013, 04:46
That's interesting mamba, I haven't been much into blending but may start.

black mamba
05-30-2013, 10:25
This was strictly an "in the glass" blending, so no chance for it to meld (if indeed such things do happen?). It was so promising that as soon as I have an empty I'll try a measured 6 oz of each and let it sit for a couple days, then retry.

squire
05-30-2013, 10:33
I think they do meld, or at least some of the Master Blenders at major houses so believe.

BigBoldBully
05-31-2013, 19:48
am drinking the mambamix, 1:1 OGDBIB and RR10, right now. gotta say it is much better than most of the vattings I have tried, and might even become a regular offering in my kitchen.

Crowes
05-31-2013, 19:53
Tried a new blend tonight, 75% OWA and 25% Bernheim. Interesting. I thought it may be a good mix to add in some of the smoothness of the Berheim to the OWA but it was cloyingly sweet and lost that subtle leather/wood note from the OWA. Still tasty but no where near the OWA/W12 blend.

darylld911
06-01-2013, 04:23
On melding, I believe there is a difference (but I also once believed there was a Santa Claus, so take that for what it's worth). I did a blend and tasted it a few minutes later, and when I tasted it a few weeks later - I thought it was quite a bit better. What I hadn't done though, is taste side by side the same blend at different "mingling times". That might be a fun experiment - make a blend and wait a week, make another wait another week, make a third and wait an hour - then compare. My guess is that the greatest difference (which may yet be very subtle) would be between the hour and week. But I've heard others wait several weeks. My approach has been to mingle, then have a pour (I usually make a 750 mL batch, so the rest has plenty of time!)