PDA

View Full Version : Bourbons Available Only In Kentucky

Jackinbox
05-22-2013, 09:47
When I head down there next week, I'm looking to pick up a few things that aren't available here in Indy.

So far, I'm planning to be on the lookout for AAA and HH BiB 6 year. I know AAA has shown up in a few various stores around the country, but I have yet to find a bottle near me.

Any other recommendations?

SMOWK
05-22-2013, 09:50
Rather than look for things available ONLY in Kentucky, take the approach of finding things that AREN'T available in Indy. If you visit your local stores often, it should be pretty easy to spot new labels.

I suggest Mellow Corn BIB and JTS Brown BIB

Flyfish
05-22-2013, 10:12
I buy all of my AAA. VOB, and OWA & Weller 12 in KY because they aren't available in OH. I also look for what's on sale at TPS and the Liquor Barn because prices are controlled in OH. Not all KY prices are better but the selection is most definitely better.

squire
05-22-2013, 11:34
A visit to Kentucky is a chance to pick up brands not available elsewhere, I've found some neat stuff there over the years.

Richnimrod
05-22-2013, 12:17
I suggest Mellow Corn BIB and JTS Brown BIB[/QUOTE]

You might want to taste JTS Brown BIB before you buy a whole bottle. The profile is, shall we say; not for everybody. IMO not a particularly good pour; but, of course others may disagree. I still have a half bottle I've been using exclusively for sours for a year (I don't make many sours). Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

SMOWK
05-22-2013, 12:31
I'm a cheap date.

mark fleetwood
05-22-2013, 12:46
Not sure if Indy has it or not but Fighting Cock is a decent buy in KY.

MauiSon
05-22-2013, 15:09
I see what y'all er doin'. Talk 'im down so he don't hoard all the good stuff. Nice try.

393foureyedfox
05-22-2013, 15:19
When I head down there next week, I'm looking to pick up a few things that aren't available here in Indy.

So far, I'm planning to be on the lookout for AAA and HH BiB 6 year.

theres at least two BIB HH here. the gold and black label ( i think its a 3 year, but no more than 4), and theres a white label 6 year BIB. The white's better in my opinion. Even the green 6 year 90 is a good cheap one. Theyre all about $10/750

bllygthrd
05-22-2013, 16:04
I totally agree with going for what you can't purchase at home. For me ... the full line of VOB and all BIBs. Check the "high priced spread" sections of TPS and Liquor Barn ... occasionally you'll fine something exotic and/or hard to get. That's how I picked up my first GTS and PVW.

darylld911
05-22-2013, 16:08
I second SMOWKs advice and look for things you can't find back home (and if you haven't tried them before, check if they have half-pints or pints first). And - oddly enough - don't be afraid to check Krogers. I am NOT kidding - I drove by one without giving it a second thought as we hit 2 or 3 other stores - only to later to check it out and find they had two of the drams we were hunting! AND better prices on many labels! Not sure how many of the stores sell liquor (technically, they are in space adjacent to the store with a separate entrance), but the one in Bardstown had a decent selection.

mbroo5880i
05-22-2013, 17:24
I second SMOWKs advice and look for things you can't find back home (and if you haven't tried them before, check if they have half-pints or pints first). And - oddly enough - don't be afraid to check Krogers. I am NOT kidding - I drove by one without giving it a second thought as we hit 2 or 3 other stores - only to later to check it out and find they had two of the drams we were hunting! AND better prices on many labels! Not sure how many of the stores sell liquor (technically, they are in space adjacent to the store with a separate entrance), but the one in Bardstown had a decent selection.

I am following along this thread because I am also going to be in KY next week. The advice has been great as I am also looking for stuff not carried on the west side of Indy. Kroger is an interesting suggestion. I find the Kroger in my area carries a decent selection of bourbons at solid prices.

higgins
05-22-2013, 18:46
I traveled through Kentucky last Fall, and this was what came back with me:

3x HH BIB 6yo
2x HH BIB Gold
3x VOB BIB
2x AAA 10yo
1x OF Signature
1x JTS Brown BIB

My only regret was not buying more of the 6-year-old HH BIB. Tastes may vary, but next time I'm coming back with a whole case of that.

c2walker
05-22-2013, 20:23
You might want to taste JTS Brown BIB before you buy a whole bottle. The profile is, shall we say; not for everybody. IMO not a particularly good pour; but, of course others may disagree. I still have a half bottle I've been using exclusively for sours for a year (I don't make many sours). Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

I, for one, prefer JTS Brown BIB to most other current HH bottles. I usually switch off between JTSB and Virgin 7/101 as my house whiskey. Decent enough to sip with a cube in the summer. Cheap enough for guests to mix with soda. I recently had a bottle of EW 1783 that a friend brought over that was so bad it ruined perfectly good mixers. Even the drain tried to spit it up.

mosugoji64
05-22-2013, 23:01
Well, from another Indy resident I can tell you that I usually stock up on AAA 10yr, VOB BIB, and HH BIB Gold Label when I go to KY. You might also give Old Ezra Brooks 7yr 101 a try since we can't get it here. It's a decent pour, though I prefer the ones I mentioned before. Those are about the only things available there that we can't get here. The HH 6yr BIB is available here, though sporadically. It's also available to the east and south of us as I've seen it in numerous stores outside the city. W12 used to be on my list but it is now readily available here. If you make it to TPS, check out some of their private selections. Some are very good. Liquor Barn has private selections as well, though I haven't tried any. Can anyone comment on the recent CNB picks?
There are also gift shop exclusive bottles at the distilleries if you get a chance. I highly recommend the Four Roses exclusives.

Jackinbox
05-23-2013, 10:52
Rather than look for things available ONLY in Kentucky, take the approach of finding things that AREN'T available in Indy. If you visit your local stores often, it should be pretty easy to spot new labels.Good point.

I suggest Mellow Corn BIB and JTS Brown BIBI'm not familiar with Mellow Corn. Is that a white dog?

Check the "high priced spread" sections of TPS and Liquor BarnIs there a TPS location anywhere near Louisville or is it just the one location near Cincy?

Kroger is an interesting suggestion. I find the Kroger in my area carries a decent selection of bourbons at solid prices.Kroger has really good deals if you mix & match 6 bottles. If you're just buying a single bottle, it seems like Meijer has better prices (or at least here on the NW side). Plus, Meijer carries quite a bit of the single barrel offerings.

The HH 6yr BIB is available here, though sporadically.Really? I wasn't aware of that! Do you happen to remember which store you've seen it?

It sounds like VOB BiB is a must-add to my KY shopping list.

mosugoji64
05-23-2013, 12:34
Good point.

I'm not familiar with Mellow Corn. Is that a white dog?

Is there a TPS location anywhere near Louisville or is it just the one location near Cincy?

Kroger has really good deals if you mix & match 6 bottles. If you're just buying a single bottle, it seems like Meijer has better prices (or at least here on the NW side). Plus, Meijer carries quite a bit of the single barrel offerings.

Really? I wasn't aware of that! Do you happen to remember which store you've seen it?

It sounds like VOB BiB is a must-add to my KY shopping list.

1. Mellow Corn is a corn whiskey, not a white dog and is very tasty. I forgot about that one not being here.
2. You're correct - there is only one TPS location
3. HH 6yr shows up at Kahn's occasionally. I can't remember seeing it anywhere else in the city.

black mamba
05-23-2013, 21:46
Sometimes you will find a whiskey which is available in your area but significantly cheaper in KY. Hancock's single barrel is 45-50 dollars here in MO, but I picked it up for $28 at Liquor Barn. If you've never had it, it's very similar in profile to ETL, and well worth $30 a bottle or more.

squire
05-23-2013, 23:25
At $30 dollars, yes. Hancocks is one of those that when you drink it you say, that's nice, I like that, then you forget about it. There are simply too many other plain vanilla Bourbons out there that cost less.

Jackinbox
05-24-2013, 13:10
I would like to try a case of Ale 8 also. Is that readily available in the Louisville-Lexington areas or am I going to have to do a little hunting?

MyOldKyDram
05-24-2013, 13:12
READILY readily available.

squire
05-24-2013, 13:22
Ale 8 is not hard to find, wish that were true here.

Halifax
05-24-2013, 13:26
JTS Brown... Good stuff.

PaulO
05-25-2013, 09:47
The VOB B.I.B. is definitely one to get that we don't get in IN. AAA 10 year is only officially in KY. I think it's ok, some people love it. Honestly, I'd say grab anything 90 proof or above that looks interesting that you want to try. I'd stay away from non-distiller producer stuff. I'd try some beer brands we don't get here too (if you have room).

squire
05-25-2013, 11:09
You may also, and this is just a suggestion, pick up bottles of the 86, 90 and 100 proof Bartons for a comparative tasting. They are 6 years old, relatively inexpensive and I don't see Sazerac keeping all three in the lineup for the future.

bad_scientist
05-25-2013, 11:33
JTS Brown... Good stuff.

That's my favorite of the HH BiBs. I like the HH white label, too, but it often tastes like corn syrup to me, obviously not a positive.

Halifax
05-25-2013, 11:38
That's my favorite of the HH BiBs. I like the HH white label, too, but it often tastes like corn syrup to me, obviously not a positive.

C2Walker and I picked up a bottle of the HH BiB 6 year on a recent trip to KY. Lots of corn in that one. When we were sampling the bottle, I believe I mentioned to Walker that it had a young corn - white dog feel to it. I think I paid $8 for the bottle. I only brought back one bottle. I doubt it will be replaced. Now JTS Brown... There will always be a place in my cabinet for it :)

bad_scientist
05-25-2013, 12:06
C2Walker and I picked up a bottle of the HH BiB 6 year on a recent trip to KY. Lots of corn in that one. When we were sampling the bottle, I believe I mentioned to Walker that it had a young corn - white dog feel to it. I think I paid $8 for the bottle. I only brought back one bottle. I doubt it will be replaced. Now JTS Brown... There will always be a place in my cabinet for it :)

JTS Brown is what Paul Newman's character drank in The Hustler (I think). If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

mosugoji64
05-25-2013, 12:22

Rod - any opinion on T.W. Samuels? That and JTSB are the only HH Bonds I haven't tried, and I love all of the others.

squire
05-25-2013, 13:19
Samuels and Brown are very close in profile and easily recognizable as being in the Heaven Hill family which is to say not really dissimilar to other HH stuff but worth trying and definitely worth the price.

mbroo5880i
05-25-2013, 19:11
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I am heading to Tennessee tomorrow and plan to stop in Frankfort/Lexington on my way back to Indiana. My wife expects me to stop and buy a few bottle of KY bourbon that aren't available in Indiana. The list just keeps growing :grin:

I was hoping to pick up VOB BIB and AAA 10 year but have my doubts that they will be available at the big stores in Lexington (e.g., Liquor Barn). We'll see.

Jackinbox
05-28-2013, 17:27
Just a mere two days before I head for Kentucky, I found these in local Indianapolis liquor stores:

Very Old Barton BIB
JTS Brown BIB

I was kind of shocked to find them around here, but I still have several other things to pick up in KY.

MyOldKyDram
05-28-2013, 17:28
Yeah, saw the VOB BiB at a Big Red over the weekend.

squire
05-28-2013, 18:37
That's two off your list right there Jack.

Jackinbox
05-29-2013, 06:54
That's two off your list right there Jack.Yeah, and now the big challenge is going to be finding AAA 10!

Flyfish
05-29-2013, 07:05
I was hoping to pick up VOB BIB and AAA 10 year but have my doubts that they will be available at the big stores in Lexington (e.g., Liquor Barn). We'll see.
I have purchased AAA at both the Liquor Barns in Lexington and at the one in Louisville. Have never failed to find it there. Or at TPS just across the river from Cinci. There are probably a hundred other places in KY where it is available. You Commonwealthers correct me if wrong about that.

squire
05-29-2013, 07:12
Sounds like the mother lode.

MyOldKyDram
05-29-2013, 07:18
I have purchased AAA at both the Liquor Barns in Lexington and at the one in Louisville. Have never failed to find it there. Or at TPS just across the river from Cinci. There are probably a hundred other places in KY where it is available. You Commonwealthers correct me if wrong about that.

Thats certainly been the case in the past, but I haven't looked recently. And with talks of shortages, and people making runs on it...still, can't imagine it will be too hard to find.

Kyjd75
05-29-2013, 07:49
If you are going to be near Elizabethtown, I believe that Eric is expecting a good quantity of liters and 1.75s to be delivered this afternoon (Wednesday) to his store (Packages and More Liquors).

mosugoji64
05-29-2013, 08:48
Just a mere two days before I head for Kentucky, I found these in local Indianapolis liquor stores:

Very Old Barton BIB
JTS Brown BIB

I was kind of shocked to find them around here, but I still have several other things to pick up in KY.

Good to know VOB BIB made its way here! What was the price on it? I don't need any right away. Just opened a 750 and have a handle waiting in the wings.
JTSB has been here, you just had to look down to find it. :grin:

squire
05-29-2013, 09:31
I like that Sazarac is making Barton more available, (more demand, more production, yea) and with any luck they may bring back the age stated 8 year old.

Jackinbox
05-29-2013, 10:40
Good to know VOB BIB made its way here! What was the price on it? I don't need any right away. Just opened a 750 and have a handle waiting in the wings.
JTSB has been here, you just had to look down to find it. :grin:The Barton was $14.99 at Big Red Liquors, 86th & Michigan.

Kahn's showed inventory on the HH 6-year BIB but only had a tasting bottle in stock. I thought $9.99 was a good price on it, so I went there looking for that and ended up spotting the JTSB.

squire
05-29-2013, 12:10
A bit high for Barton but a good price on the HH.

PaulO
05-29-2013, 13:23
I had never seen Mellow Corn BIB in Indiana, but picked some up recently in Bloomington.

Kyjd75
05-29-2013, 16:08
If you are going to be near Elizabethtown, I believe that Eric is expecting a good quantity of liters and 1.75s to be delivered this afternoon (Wednesday) to his store (Packages and More Liquors).

Plenty now in stock in Elizabethtown.

bjhowell
05-29-2013, 16:30
Plenty now in stock in Elizabethtown.

1550315504They don't ship do they?

Kyjd75
05-29-2013, 18:13
Unfortunately, Ky law does not permit shipping (the TPS notwithstanding).

bjhowell
05-29-2013, 18:24
I guess I'll have to stop by when I'm up for the shoot at knob creek in October.

mosugoji64
05-29-2013, 23:04
I had never seen Mellow Corn BIB in Indiana, but picked some up recently in Bloomington.

Good to hear, Paul. I've never seen that one here either. Looks like we're movin' up in the world!

squire
05-30-2013, 05:51
Mellow Corn's on the migration.

T Comp
05-30-2013, 07:23
Mellow Corn's on the migration.

Yep, While travelling home through your beautiful Magnolia state on Memorial Day, Squire, I paid $10 out the door at a store across the street from the gas station in Canton. This will join the HH 6 year BIB as a summer refrigerated bottle.

squire
05-30-2013, 07:42
Hope you had a good trip Thad, my regards to your better half. Yes, that high proof low cost Mellow Corn is bottled Summer waiting to pour forth.

Jackinbox
05-31-2013, 21:34
Thanks to everyone for their input. I was able to find everything I needed, including the Ale 8. I wish we had something in Indy with such an extensive selection as Liquor Barn. Prices seem to be slightly better in KY too.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-31-2013, 22:22
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I am heading to Tennessee tomorrow and plan to stop in Frankfort/Lexington on my way back to Indiana. My wife expects me to stop and buy a few bottle of KY bourbon that aren't available in Indiana. The list just keeps growing :grin:

Ohh you will be able to find it for a while here in ky. The great thing about this site is that you are getting a heads up on shortages in advance.

Next time you are in KY, you will be kicking yourself for not listening to us.

mbroo5880i
06-01-2013, 06:34
Ohh you will be able to find it for a while here in ky. The great thing about this site is that you are getting a heads up on shortages in advance.

Next time you are in KY, you will be kicking yourself for not listening to us.

No, I listened. I found it and bought. :grin:

squire
06-01-2013, 06:37
I came, I saw, I bought, good man.