PDA

View Full Version : TPS Pain

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 09:37
I was browsing The Party Source's webpage and was contemplating a purchase and ship to Minnesota. To my horror I discovered that they no longer ship to MN! In my cart I had HH White BIB, Old Charter 10, Rittenhouse Rye, EW1783, OF Sig, and JBW 7 Only the OF Sig is available in my part of MN. I know there are other ways of getting these but I am kind of sad about it. I really liked all of the above when I ordered them in the past. (Only Ritt hasn't been tried by me)
Just venting, not looking for a solution.

whiskeyagonzo
05-23-2013, 09:57
I was browsing The Party Source's webpage and was contemplating a purchase and ship to Minnesota. To my horror I discovered that they no longer ship to MN! In my cart I had HH White BIB, Old Charter 10, Rittenhouse Rye, EW1783, OF Sig, and JBW 7 Only the OF Sig is available in my part of MN. I know there are other ways of getting these but I am kind of sad about it. I really liked all of the above when I ordered them in the past. (Only Ritt hasn't been tried by me)
Just venting, not looking for a solution.

I just had a similar situation with K& L. They don't ship to Indiana. Bummer.

barturtle
05-23-2013, 10:13
Excellent! More stuff the Bourbon Exchange guys can profit from!

Josh
05-23-2013, 10:14
Did you try filing a TPS report?

whiskeyagonzo
05-23-2013, 10:15

I wouldn't buy anything from those guys. I would go sober first.

smknjoe
05-23-2013, 10:18

Did you get the memo about the new TPS reports?

whiskeyagonzo
05-23-2013, 10:20
Ok ok I probably wouldn't go sober.

squire
05-23-2013, 10:22
That's a relief, I was worried there for a moment.

mosugoji64
05-23-2013, 10:34
Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great.

LostBottle
05-23-2013, 10:51

Wow, nice attitude. This is exactly what I was referring to in my post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20078-Bourbon-Exchange-dudes-aren-t-messing-around&p=344032&viewfull=1#post344032) about the elitist attitude some of the established people have towards others wanting to get into "their" hobby. At first I thought this comment was a joke, until I started looking at that FB site....

matthewdc
05-23-2013, 10:53

I'll make sure you get another copy of that memo, OOOOKKKK????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA

Yeti
05-23-2013, 11:25
I believe you have my stapler.

ChainWhip
05-23-2013, 11:27
Let's not play Jump to Conclusions just yet...

Meruck
05-23-2013, 11:46
I seem to have not received my last few paychecks...............................and my desk was moved to the basement

barturtle
05-23-2013, 13:10
Wow, nice attitude. This is exactly what I was referring to in my post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20078-Bourbon-Exchange-dudes-aren-t-messing-around&p=344032&viewfull=1#post344032) about the elitist attitude some of the established people have towards others wanting to get into "their" hobby. At first I thought this comment was a joke, until I started looking at that FB site....

But obviously the fact the The Party Source is located in a state in which it is illegal for them to ship out of doesn't seem to bother anyone...

LostBottle
05-23-2013, 13:32
But obviously the fact the The Party Source is located in a state in which it is illegal for them to ship out of doesn't seem to bother anyone...

You're avoiding the actual argument and throwing out a red herring there. You very well know my point is not about the legality of what either TPS, or the Bourbon Exchange crowd is doing. The fact is, my comments didn't broach the legality aspect at all - now, let's readdress the real issue at hand.

My comment, and the previous response in another thread, is specifically about the fact you were happy to see TPS not ship to a newcomer and fellow SB member. More specifically, you were happy because it would give the Bourbon Exchange crowd less competition for bottles that are going to be flipped. I am surprised to see someone supporting flippers and rooting against enthusiasts, whether those enthusiasts are part of the old guard or an interested newbie. I will once again direct you to my comments here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20078-Bourbon-Exchange-dudes-aren-t-messing-around&p=344032&viewfull=1#post344032), and will thank you for making my point.

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 13:54

I see you have trickled some emotion from another thread here. If you are going to add some pithy snark to my post I guess it is your right. You have 4000 posts and are obviously respected. I am new here and evidently don't get a lot of wiggle room from you to express a lament on a good source of Kentucky bourbon. Next I suppose you will rally the troops with a "my bourbon is your bourbon" quote to make everyone feel snuggly inside.

Meruck
05-23-2013, 14:18

Indiana warehouse....................no issues

SMOWK
05-23-2013, 14:34

LOL. Some of us got the joke...

barturtle
05-23-2013, 14:47
Honestly I wish that shipping to and from every state was legal. Based upon your theory I shouldn't, as I had to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours driving across the country building my collection and according to you should want everyone to have to go to the same effort.

Right now thanks to stores flaunting the law and people openly advertising bottles for sale, access to rare/hard to find bottles is more widely accessible that it has ever been. I have seen bottles posted that 5 years ago I couldn't even dream of having the chance to purchase at any price. I might not be able to afford what these purveyers are wanting, but the the opportunity is there now for those who can.

Gripe all you want about pricing/legality/morality, but accessibility is wider and easier than it ever has been. For that I am happy.

barturtle
05-23-2013, 14:49
Indiana warehouse....................no issues

Show me. Show me a registered warehouse and receipts from a IN distributor for each of those bottles.

clingman71
05-23-2013, 14:53
I'll get you another copy of the memo.

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 14:55
Honestly I wish that shipping to and from every state was legal. Based upon your theory I shouldn't, as I had to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours driving across the country building my collection and according to you should want everyone to have to go to the same effort.

Right now thanks to stores flaunting the law and people openly advertising bottles for sale, access to rare/hard to find bottles is more widely accessible that it has ever been. I have seen bottles posted that 5 years ago I couldn't even dream of having the chance to purchase at any price. I might not be able to afford what these purveyers are wanting, but the the opportunity is there now for those who can.

Gripe all you want about pricing/legality/morality, but accessibility is wider and easier than it ever has been. For that I am happy.

I want a bottle of HH BIB White. The store that shipped it to me several times no longer does. I am in a state that does not get HH BIB White on the shelves. It looks like my access just got worse but you go ahead and pat the bourbon exchange crew on the back and jack my thread. I just want a tastey $22 handle from the reputable store that I did business with several times.

Alden
05-23-2013, 14:55
LOL. Some of us got the joke...

I have no idea what the joke was, or who the Bourbon Exchange is.

I am (blissfully?) ignorant.

Trey Manthey
05-23-2013, 14:59
I feel the pain as well. Sometime in April they decided to stop shipping to Louisiana.

barturtle
05-23-2013, 15:05
MN is still listed on their shipping page, for what it's worth:

We currently ship only to the following: Alabama (AL), Arizona (AZ), California (CA), Connecticut (CT), District of Columbia (DC), Florida* (FL), Georgia (GA), Hawaii (HI), Idaho (ID), Illinois (IL), Indiana (IN), Kansas (KS), Michigan (MI), Minnesota (MN), Nebraska (NE), New Mexico (NM), New York (NY), North Carolina (NC), Ohio (OH), Oregon (OR), Rhode Island (RI), South Carolina (SC), Tennessee (TN), Vermont (VT), Virginia (VA), Washington (WA), West Virginia (WV), and Wisconsin (WI)

LostBottle
05-23-2013, 15:06
Show me. Show me a registered warehouse and receipts from a IN distributor for each of those bottles.

So in summary, you support the existence and use of the FB Bourbon Exchange while discouraging people from buying at legitimate retailers because you are only surmising that their shipping breaks the law? I had no idea that the modern marvel of efficient economics that is the FB BX, that you support, would fit strict legal criteria, while TPS wouldn't. This sure seems a bit contradictory.

Trying to derail the conversation with a fallacious sideshow argument about legality is an easy escape from addressing what actually started this discussion. We both really know that your support of the FB group is about barriers to entry and $$, as you yourself pointed out here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20078-Bourbon-Exchange-dudes-aren-t-messing-around&p=344004&viewfull=1#post344004) and here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20103-TPS-Pain&p=344260&viewfull=1#post344260).

barturtle
05-23-2013, 15:24
So in summary, you support the existence and use of the FB Bourbon Exchange while discouraging people from buying at legitimate retailers because you are only surmising that their shipping breaks the law? I had no idea that the modern marvel of efficient economics that is the FB BX, that you support, would fit your strict legal criteria.

Trying to derail the conversation with a sideshow argument about legality is an easy escape from addressing what actually started this discussion. We both really know your support of the FB exchange is about barriers to entry and $$, as you yourself pointed out here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20078-Bourbon-Exchange-dudes-aren-t-messing-around&p=344004&viewfull=1#post344004).

I'm not sure what my wanting to purchase a car at the original sticker price has anything to do with anything.

As a concept, I support the Bourbon Exchange. I of course cannot openly on this site support any illegal dealings in the sales or transportation of liquor, and therefore cannot support the actual use of either liquor stores flaunting the law or any unlicensed sales by individuals.

That said, I'm sure that there are many people who might find the option of person-to-person sales, state-to-state shipping and international shipping attractive ways to access bottlings that they might not otherwise be able to try, if only any of those options were legal.

jburlowski
05-23-2013, 15:29
Lost Bottle:

A bit of friendly advice: knock it off with the whiney "elitest" comments and stop ascribing motives to others.... particularly when directing them at people that you don't know. It makes you appear ignorant and peevish.

LostBottle
05-23-2013, 15:35
I'm not sure what my wanting to purchase a car at the original sticker price has anything to do with anything.

As a concept, I support the Bourbon Exchange. I of course cannot openly on this site support any illegal dealings in the sales or transportation of liquor, and therefore cannot support the actual use of either liquor stores flaunting the law or any unlicensed sales by individuals.

That said, I'm sure that there are many people who might find the option of person-to-person sales, state-to-state shipping and international shipping attractive ways to access bottlings that they might not otherwise be able to try, if only any of those options were legal.

But this comment (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20103-TPS-Pain&p=344260&viewfull=1#post344260) seems to support flipping by individuals. It also simultaneously expresses happiness that a person could not get what they wanted by legal means because it would be financially advantageous to the flipping individuals.

smknjoe
05-23-2013, 15:37
I'll get you another copy of the memo.

MICHAEL An occupational hypnotherapist isn't going to help you solve any of your problems. And speaking of problems, what's this I hear about you having problems with your TPS reports? SAMIR Yeah. Didn't you get that memo? Peter sighs.

LostBottle
05-23-2013, 15:40
Lost Bottle:

A bit of friendly advice: knock it off with the whiney "elitest" comments and stop ascribing motives to others.... particularly when directing them at people that you don't know. It makes you appear ignorant and peevish.

With all due respect, I am not ascribing motive - the links back to the original statements, in addition to looking at the membership of some groups, provides all the context that is needed to form a conclusion. Thank you for your opinion though, I do value it, and I hope you feel the same of mine.

barturtle
05-23-2013, 15:43
But this comment (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20103-TPS-Pain&p=344260&viewfull=1#post344260) seems to support flipping by individuals. It also simultaneously expresses happiness that a person could not get what they wanted by legal means because it would be financially advantageous to the flipping individuals.

Sarcasm doesn't transfer well to print.

barturtle
05-23-2013, 15:53
... in addition to looking at the membership of some groups, provides all the context that is needed to form a conclusion.

So, if an SB moderator happens to be a member of said "groups", should we consider them "Officially Sanctioned"? Or should said moderator be sanctioned for being a member?

Balcones Winston
05-23-2013, 15:57
And we're done here rofl

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 16:21
MN is still listed on their shipping page, for what it's worth:

We currently ship only to the following: Alabama (AL), Arizona (AZ), California (CA), Connecticut (CT), District of Columbia (DC), Florida* (FL), Georgia (GA), Hawaii (HI), Idaho (ID), Illinois (IL), Indiana (IN), Kansas (KS), Michigan (MI), Minnesota (MN), Nebraska (NE), New Mexico (NM), New York (NY), North Carolina (NC), Ohio (OH), Oregon (OR), Rhode Island (RI), South Carolina (SC), Tennessee (TN), Vermont (VT), Virginia (VA), Washington (WA), West Virginia (WV), and Wisconsin (WI) Thank you for the thorough and exhaustive research. (I think sarcasm can travel well at times)

Please note we no longer are able to ship to the following states: Iowa (IA), Colorado (CO), Minnessota (MN), Missouri (MO), Montana (MT), New Mexico (NM), Nevada (NV), North Carolina (NC), Oklahoma (OK), Tennessee (TN), Wisconsin (WI), and Wyoming (WY).

barturtle
05-23-2013, 16:36
I was here:

http://www.thepartysource.com/whiskey/whiskey_shipping.php

JB64
05-23-2013, 16:41
Two chicks at the same time.

callmeox
05-23-2013, 16:49
What we have learned here so far:

The internet badly needs a sarcasm font.
Those who should know better still have not learned that joking about something that others find to be serious can lead to great misunderstandings.
Straightbourbon had a massive ADD and free association flareup today with the multitude of obligatory Office Space references.

The takeaway is that it doesn't matter who here is a member of BX or what their standing is in either place. This kind of bullshit pettiness and selective fact presentation is why we have requested that members keep BX details out of the Straightbourbon forums.

Everyone is advised to stick to the topic at hand in this thread. Also, if you want to drag BX nonsense back here, you do it at your own peril.

theglobalguy
05-23-2013, 17:31

Those who should know better still have not learned that joking about something that others find to be serious can lead to great misunderstandings.
Straightbourbon had a massive ADD and free association flareup today with the multitude of obligatory Office Space references.

The takeaway is that it doesn't matter who here is a member of BX or what their standing is in either place. This kind of bullshit pettiness and selective fact presentation is why we have requested that members keep BX details out of the Straightbourbon forums.

Everyone is advised to stick to the topic at hand in this thread. Also, if you want to drag BX nonsense back here, you do it at your own peril.

Appreciate the summary, i couldn't keep from laughing and jumping back and forth to determine if i "should" be laughing.

Back on topic; Too bad they have limited the ship to locations. But surprised a store this size (which i would think shipped a lot of product) had made it that long without limiting their destinations. When i first got into bourbon last year, i was confused to put it nicely of all the different stores with different interpretations of the state laws.

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 17:54
Thank you globalguy for the on topic chatter. I just shipped a EC12 handle to my dad for his b-day in Jan. That is why I was so shocked when I was trying to order a few value pours today and got shot down. Hence the original post. I did my first order from TPS in November on a Cyber-Monday deal and was fortunate to get some Kentucky only pours. I loved every sip of that order and did it a few more times this Dec.

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 17:58
I was here:

http://www.thepartysource.com/whiskey/whiskey_shipping.php
https://www.thepartysource.com/express/shopShipInfo.php

cowdery
05-23-2013, 18:13
I thought "TPS Pain" was the name of a rapper.

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 18:26
I thought "TPS Pain" was the name of a rapper. It is. He and his crew are from Kentucky. He goes around pouring shots of low shelf Kentucky only BIB's. He talks about all us "suckas" that can't get what he has at his corner store.

Phil T
05-23-2013, 19:26
I thought "TPS Pain" was the name of a rapper.

Chuck has a sense of humor, who would have thunk it.:slappin:

silverfish
05-24-2013, 06:50

Not a font but a Sarcmark emoticon - link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/sarcmark-sarcasm-emoticon_n_421802.html).

(Course, that is only good if everyone knows what it means/uses it.)

clingman71
05-24-2013, 07:07
https://www.thepartysource.com/express/shopShipInfo.php
Strange, I live in Ohio and have had party source ship to me. But, Ohio is not on either list? Going down there today, I'll ask Jay if I see him.

squire
05-24-2013, 13:41
Ah, screw the fonts, words are more fun.

qman22
05-24-2013, 13:51
Strange, I live in Ohio and have had party source ship to me. But, Ohio is not on either list? Going down there today, I'll ask Jay if I see him.

Yeah that's weird, it seems most everyone ships to Ohio

weller_tex
05-24-2013, 14:07
Yeah that's weird, it seems most everyone ships to Ohio

Shocked to see that they won't ship to New Mexico..Binny's will.

cowdery
05-24-2013, 14:21
My assumption is that these big stores all push the envelope as far as they feel they dare. If the feel there's any wiggle-room in the way a state's rule or statute is written, they'll ship there until someone in authority in that state tells them to stop. The stores set their own threshold as to when it has become too risky, and that probably has to do with them receiving a direct communication from that state's ABC. That would explain why one place will ship to a certain state and another place won't. In other words, New Mexico tagged TPS but they haven't caught Binny's yet.

weller_tex
05-24-2013, 14:23
Thanks Chuck. Guess when I am working out there I need to keep Binny shipments to a minimum to keep from raising eyebrows.

Phil T
05-24-2013, 15:44
Strange, I live in Ohio and have had party source ship to me. But, Ohio is not on either list? Going down there today, I'll ask Jay if I see him.f

I emailed them on this. Their reply:

Unfortunately you will no longer be able to ship to yourself in the state of Ohio

PaulO
05-25-2013, 09:31
Does anyone know if TPS, Binny's, or similar stores can ship to Indiana?

Phil T
05-25-2013, 09:52
Does anyone know if TPS, Binny's, or similar stores can ship to Indiana?

TPS will, Binny's doesn't

mbroo5880i
05-25-2013, 19:15
I tried to research the Indiana ABC (alcohol regulatory site) online to determine Indiana's regulations based on what I was reading in this thread. The best that I can tell is that is probably not legal to ship into Indiana but I don't know that for a fact. I think what Chuck stated above is probably the case. TPS will ship to Indiana until they receive notice that they can't. I just wonder what would happen to a shipment that might get caught up in "the system." I doubt that would happen. However, I would hate to pay for something that gets confiscated. Based on what I read on the TPS, the risk is all bore by the buyer.

Old Dusty
05-29-2013, 12:48
Of course anywhere in Indiana is really within easy to reasonable driving distance of TPS. Unless you are in 'Da Region (then you are probably headed to Binny's anyway) And I HIGHLY recommend an in person visit to TPS. Ask for Eric. Very knowledgable and helpful.

doubleblank
05-29-2013, 12:58
My assumption is that these big stores all push the envelope as far as they feel they dare. If the feel there's any wiggle-room in the way a state's rule or statute is written, they'll ship there until someone in authority in that state tells them to stop. The stores set their own threshold as to when it has become too risky, and that probably has to do with them receiving a direct communication from that state's ABC. That would explain why one place will ship to a certain state and another place won't. In other words, New Mexico tagged TPS but they haven't caught Binny's yet.

Exactly Chuck. A certain store was shipping to Texas, a state prohibiting the shipment of hard alcohol even in state. But when they got the "one more strike and we're coming after you" call, they stopped.

Jackinbox
05-29-2013, 13:00
I tried to research the Indiana ABC (alcohol regulatory site) online to determine Indiana's regulations based on what I was reading in this thread. The best that I can tell is that is probably not legal to ship into Indiana but I don't know that for a fact. I think what Chuck stated above is probably the case. TPS will ship to Indiana until they receive notice that they can't. I just wonder what would happen to a shipment that might get caught up in "the system." I doubt that would happen. However, I would hate to pay for something that gets confiscated. Based on what I read on the TPS, the risk is all bore by the buyer.I'm not sure if this clears anything up or not:

http://www.in.gov/atc/files/Direct_Shipping_Enforcement_and_Consumer_Qualifica tions_Statute__2_.pdf

theglobalguy
05-29-2013, 14:49
I'm not sure if this clears anything up or not:

http://www.in.gov/atc/files/Direct_Shipping_Enforcement_and_Consumer_Qualifica tions_Statute__2_.pdf

Thinking the one you linked to is a Wine specific ruling. Wine, Beer and Spirits seem to have very different rules by state.

smokinjoe
06-03-2013, 08:04
Exactly Chuck. A certain store was shipping to Texas, a state prohibiting the shipment of hard alcohol even in state. But when they got the "one more strike and we're coming after you" call, they stopped.

Randy, you probably have Wade to thank for that...:lol:

Ejmharris
06-04-2013, 08:42
For what it's worth, I was at TPS yesterday stocking up on AAA 10 yr and OWA SB's and the store clerks were talking about the drop off in online sales. I inquired why the drop off and they mentioned it was due to the concern over individual states stopping online internet sales because if the upcoming federal law on Internet sales. Not sure that is the complete story but at least the opinion of the guys on the floor.

Mike

theglobalguy
06-05-2013, 21:12
For what it's worth, I was at TPS yesterday stocking up on AAA 10 yr and OWA SB's and the store clerks were talking about the drop off in online sales. I inquired why the drop off and they mentioned it was due to the concern over individual states stopping online internet sales because if the upcoming federal law on Internet sales. Not sure that is the complete story but at least the opinion of the guys on the floor.

Mike

Maybe more to do with pending legislation on paying taxes online in each state. Not a clue what the backend of that looks like, but assuming it's less than legal in a given state and you all of a sudden register to submit taxes...might be a bit tough to explain.

birdman1099
06-06-2013, 09:14
I just had a similar situation with K& L. They don't ship to Indiana. Bummer.

no they dont.... but I bet you can find a member here taht will accept your shipment and send it to you. Thats what I do. ;)