PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Ancient Age and Charter 10 to be discontinued.

elbowguru
05-23-2013, 13:42
This morning on another forum I saw an email to Buffalo Trace inquiring about AAA 10 year in which their rep confirmed that the most recent bottling "will be the last for some time". A few minutes ago I was discussing it with a liquor store clerk and was informed that Charter 10 year is on the chopping block also. That's two reasonably priced aged stated expressions disappearing at the same time BT announced a shortage. Has anyone heard any other rumors about either?

Grain Belt
05-23-2013, 13:47
That would be sad. Neither are distributed where Ilive but I really enjoyed both when I had the rare chance to try them, especially the OC 10.

mosugoji64
05-23-2013, 13:55
Let's call in Chuck (or someone else with real contacts) for confirmation before anyone flies off the handle.

MyOldKyDram
05-23-2013, 13:57
Or flies off and buys some handles

sku
05-23-2013, 14:03
I heard this rumor a while ago and recently put the question to BT's PR person. I was told that AAA 10 year was not going away, only that they were going to discontinue some sizes of it (they hadn't decided which).

elbowguru
05-23-2013, 14:08
The information about AAA was confirmed by Nan Harnice, Consumer Affairs Associate, Buffalo Trace Distillery.
Is that real enough?

mosugoji64
05-23-2013, 14:19
The information about AAA was confirmed by Nan Harnice, Consumer Affairs Associate, Buffalo Trace Distillery.
Is that real enough?

Didn't mean to imply that your info wasn't legitimate. I apologize if that's how it came off. I was only hoping we could get confirmation from another source and not just rumor, that's what I meant by "real." As you can see from Sku's post we already have conflicting information coming out of BT.

MyOldKyDram
05-23-2013, 14:24
Yeah it's not like conflicting info has ever come out of there before.

SWC
05-23-2013, 14:24
Is that real enough?

Who had "60 minutes" before this thread went downhill? Relax.

elbowguru
05-23-2013, 14:38
I apologize if you picked up a different tone from my comment than I intended. I didn't take anyone's input as a slight, and I agree that there can always be a bit of misinformation when it comes to these situations.

That said, the chain of events of the last few days is starting to paint an unfortunate picture. First I saw an article on Spirits Insider announcing a shortage at BT. This morning I read a copy/paste of an email to BT about AAA that vaguely stated it had ceased production. Then while discussing it with a liquor store owner I was told that the only Charter 10 available from this point on would be plastic travellers. I think that with all of this combined it's pretty likely there will be a big change coming, an unfortunate one for most of us.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jburlowski
05-23-2013, 15:33
FWIW, OC 10 no longer appears on the BT web site.

callmeox
05-23-2013, 15:42
I also heard the "last for some time" information from two store owners about AAA 10 year while in Bardstown for the Sampler.

I grabbed a Liter to help bridge the gap. :grin:

FWIW, there is a big difference between discontinued and on hiatus and the latter is how the AAA 10 year situation was described to me.

squire
05-23-2013, 16:04
Plastic travelers huh, maybe that's the next new thing.

cowdery
05-23-2013, 18:36
If, in fact, the statement was "last for some time," that's not the same as "discontinued." Even though AAA isn't an annual release, per se, it's a small brand that isn't bottled very often. Is that what Nan confirmed? It's helpful if you're precise about the information you're passing along.

It should be noted that the continuation/discontinuing of Ancient Age isn't really BT's call. They make and distribute the brand but they don't make those decisions. That's up to Age International, a separate company, which owns the brand. I can imagine them pulling back on some of AAA's 'informal' distribution outside of Kentucky, which would be a shame, but discontinuing the expression seems unlikely. Some people here are much to quick to jump to the conclusion that a brand or expression is being discontinued, when in fact that's something a producer is very loath to do, unless the brand is dying on its own.

greatbourbon.com (http://greatbourbon.com) is a very useful web site for this sort of inquiry. It's clear from there that the Charter line has been reduced to two expressions, the 80 proof 8-year-old and the NAS 101 proof. Charter 10 is now officially a dusty, along with the other Charters that are no more like the 'Classic 12.' A tip on Old Charter, the epicenter of its sales is Little Rock, Arkansas, so that and nearby markets will always get the best Old Charter support. Plan your summer travels accordingly.

Buffalo Trace has gone through a long process of 'rationalizing' its mammoth portfolio. Although that task will never be completed I think it's largely done for now. Their effort earlier this week to handle some of these persistent rumors with that press release was probably futile. I think we know the general outline of what's happening and what might happen in the future. If that's not good enough for you, that's your problem (not aiming that at any particular 'you').

It also helps to remember that despite making a gazillion brands, the Buffalo Trace Distillery only makes three different bourbons, so if you're having trouble finding X you can probably get virtually the same whiskey from Y. There is no parallel to Weller except Van Winkle, which doesn't help much, but both of their rye-recipe bourbons have plenty of parallels.

Meruck
05-23-2013, 18:56
(not aiming that at any particular 'you').

You know he's talking about "you". Don't you..........?

squire
05-23-2013, 18:59
Only my ex-wives address me as 'you' followed by a range of words none of which I'll repeat.

Meruck
05-23-2013, 18:59
Only my ex-wives address me as 'you' followed by a range of words none of which I'll repeat.

all of which are still 39, .....I presume.

squire
05-23-2013, 19:35
Yes, yes, quite so.

Josh
05-23-2013, 20:08
I apologize if you picked up a different tone from my comment than I intended. I didn't take anyone's input as a slight, and I agree that there can always be a bit of misinformation when it comes to these situations.

That said, the chain of events of the last few days is starting to paint an unfortunate picture. First I saw an article on Spirits Insider announcing a shortage at BT. This morning I read a copy/paste of an email to BT about AAA that vaguely stated it had ceased production. Then while discussing it with a liquor store owner I was told that the only Charter 10 available from this point on would be plastic travellers. I think that with all of this combined it's pretty likely there will be a big change coming, an unfortunate one for most of us.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2 Copy and paste it here, or get the person who received the email to do so, so we can all see it and parse the words!

mosugoji64
05-23-2013, 21:06
You know he's talking about "you". Don't you..........?

Dammit! Why is it always me they're pointing at?!?!

BigBoldBully
05-23-2013, 22:04
Son of a ... these are two I thought I'd finally get to pick up while traveling this summer!

squire
05-23-2013, 23:11
I will miss Charter 10, I rarely bought it but will miss not being able to buy it.

cowdery
05-24-2013, 01:23
Remember, if something is discontinued, it will still be around at retail as a dusty. People will be finding them for the next 30 years.

petrel800
05-24-2013, 05:28
Not to pile on here, but in my travels through KY, I was told the going away for awhile story on the AAA, not the discontinued one. Heard it at 2 liquor barns and at TPS. All did say that 750mls were being discontinued and the AAA in its next releases it will only be available in a L and a 1.75. I guess time will tell, but it doesn't surprise me that this expression is going through some growing pains, it's been on a hundred blogs as the best value in bourbon. Add in that BT cut TPS off from their private selections and this isn't much of a surprise.

elbowguru
05-24-2013, 07:24
Copy and paste it here, or get the person who received the email to do so, so we can all see it and parse the words!
Hello
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding our Ancient Ancient Age 10 year product. I have checked with our brand manager and sales team there and they let me know we recently completed a bottling of Ancient Ancient Age 10 year that will likely be the last for some time. We will keep RNDC apprised of our future plans.
Sincerely,
Nan Harnice
Consumer Affairs Associate
Buffalo Trace Distillery
113 Great Buffalo Trace
Frankfort, KY 40601
nharnice@buffalotrace.com

MyOldKyDram
05-24-2013, 07:37
Doesn't sound like its going away forever, although I suppose it could. May grab one or two to tide me over, may not.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-24-2013, 10:49
I mentioned the Liters and 1.75s only a couple of weeks ago on here. The price also increased significantly. Welcome to the year two thousand and bourbon.

I have not heard that it will disappear for long periods. If they were to go that route, they would put the remaining stock on "allocation" to ration it like what they do with Weller 12.

FWIW, I will be ordering quite a bit next week.... Just in case...

Meruck
05-24-2013, 12:49
So, as soon as this thread was posted I sent an email to my "contact", I just got the repl on email.

I know everyone else has info and some see this as a temporary issue. AAA10 perhaps, but C10..............as stated.....gone!

Hi Matt,
You probably actually mean Ancient Ancient Age 10, there is no AA 10 but currently AAA 10 is only sold in KY where demand and supply has been dwindling for many years now. We are in the process of eliminating some sizes.

Re: Charter, we are discontinuing Charter 10 due to sagging sales that have been happening over a long period of time. Sadly, we have arrived at a point where we do not have any 10 year old Charter whiskey available to bottle.
Best,
Amy

squire
05-24-2013, 13:05
Well, it would seem then stock that was destined for Charter 10 is now being diverted to other brands.

Josh
05-24-2013, 13:11
Well, it would seem then stock that was destined for Charter 10 is now being diverted to other brands.Taylor, ERSB & BT.

squire
05-24-2013, 13:17
But of course, I'm sure 9 years ago they didn't decide "Hey, let's just quit making this Charter stuff, no one's gonna be buying it a decade from now anyway", or words to that effect.

393foureyedfox
05-25-2013, 21:55
there's still a whole shelf of it at the liquor barn on preston in louisville. i saw it yesterday and remembered reading this that it was being discontinued. I thought id grab some to try, until i noticed the 86 proof label. Ive not yet found anything under 90 that i like, so i passed (considering the price). But I figured Id tell you guys in case you wanted to stock up. there were lots of both sizes. $25ish for the 750's....

mbroo5880i
05-25-2013, 23:14
Just curious on the AAA10, what was the price for 750 ml a few weeks ago? What would you expect to pay now? Wondering if a price hike has already occurred.

squire
05-26-2013, 00:43
Price hikes follow scarcity like some perverse rule of nature.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-26-2013, 15:07
Just curious on the AAA10, what was the price for 750 ml a few weeks ago? What would you expect to pay now? Wondering if a price hike has already occurred.

About 18 per 750 was what we had them at when they were still available.

Liters should be about 25 now.

elbowguru
05-26-2013, 19:49
I've seen entire shelves of Charter 10 that have been cleared over the weekend. So it goes.

Quantum
05-26-2013, 19:57
I thought about grabbing a couple handles of Old Charter 10 yesterday, but it will be years before I get through the bottles I already have in line waiting to drink. I just can't really get into bunkering for quantity, I prefer variety.

petrel800
05-28-2013, 08:48
there's still a whole shelf of it at the liquor barn on preston in louisville. i saw it yesterday and remembered reading this that it was being discontinued. I thought id grab some to try, until i noticed the 86 proof label. Ive not yet found anything under 90 that i like, so i passed (considering the price). But I figured Id tell you guys in case you wanted to stock up. there were lots of both sizes. $25ish for the 750's....

It's worth trying for the price and at 86 proof it's nice to have around during the hotter months of summer. If you like the Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, ETL profile (BT Mash Bill #2), you'll probably find this one pretty nice.

393foureyedfox
05-28-2013, 13:59
It's worth trying for the price and at 86 proof it's nice to have around during the hotter months of summer. If you like the Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, ETL profile (BT Mash Bill #2), you'll probably find this one pretty nice.

i'll stick with the BIB's and 100+'ers with it at that price...

petrel800
05-28-2013, 14:03
About 18 per 750 was what we had them at when they were still available.

Liters should be about 25 now.

Looking at my receipts from this weekend, I paid $25 and $22 for L bottles in different locations.

mbroo5880i
05-28-2013, 15:21
Looking at my receipts from this weekend, I paid $25 and $22 for L bottles in different locations.

I would be happy in that price range. My guess is that I will hit one of the Liquor Barns in Lexington. Is one store better than the other or are they pretty much the same? Any stores in Frankfort worth stopping at?

MyOldKyDram
05-28-2013, 15:58
I prefer the Beaumont location LBarn in Lexington. Clavius' Kroger Wine is in that area too. As far as Frankfort goes Red Dot is worth a stop.

mbroo5880i
05-28-2013, 19:25
I prefer the Beaumont location LBarn in Lexington. Clavius' Kroger Wine is in that area too. As far as Frankfort goes Red Dot is worth a stop.
Thank you! This is very helpful!

Bourserker
05-29-2013, 19:49
The pressure of this thread drove me to get a couple handles of AAA10 and one of the OC10. Never had the OC 10 so I hope it's good. Love the AAA10.

393foureyedfox
05-30-2013, 13:28
lousvillians....the beverage world on dixie hwy has a shelf full of 750s and 1750s of AAA10 at a normal price. 19.99 for the 750s and i think it was $33 for the 1.75's....there was even a rebate on the 1.75's, $5 i think it was. again, i thought about getting one, but even at $20 i dont really want to take a chance on an untried 86 proofer. I was looking for some EW BIB, which i heard was coming to KY soon and that Elizabethtown already had it, but no luck. didnt even have any OGD 114, so i left empty handed.

mbroo5880i
05-30-2013, 19:46

Thank you very much for your suggestion of Red Dot! I visited the one on 127. It is located in a beat down old shopping center but it is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I did learn something. Apparently, in Kentucky, Kroger cannot sell wine or liquor. They do have cold beer. Just the opposite in Indiana where Kroger sells all spirits, albeit in limited brands, but is not allowed to sell cold beer.

They had plenty of AAA10 both 1 liter and 1.75 liter. I didn't really notice if there were any 750s. Same with Charter 10, plenty. I made my first stop today and may try another local store or the other Red Dot in Frankfort before I leave town. If not, I will go back for a second visit. Not sure if I will be able to go back to Liquor Barn in Lexington or to stop in Louisville on my way home.

We also lucked out in that one of the local distributors was in the store while we were there. He was doing a wine tasting but also distributes several whiskey brands. We had a chance to talk about availability of brands in Kentucky v. Indiana. Interestingly, some of our local wines are not available in Kentucky.

Tucker
05-30-2013, 19:57
I see handles of OC10 for $19.99 here in abundance so I'm not going to cry over it's demise. I remember taking a bottle of it to Hilton Head for spring break many moons ago and it was pretty tasty. If it's better served for use by BT in other brands now, so be it.

MyOldKyDram
05-30-2013, 20:04
Thank you very much for your suggestion of Red Dot! I visited the one on 127. It is located in a beat down old shopping center but it is an awesome store. The selection is at least 5 times what I can find at my normal liquor store in Brownsburg, IN. The prices were comparable on brands that I can get back home so I thought that the prices were reasonable.

I did learn something. Apparently, in Kentucky, Kroger cannot sell wine or liquor. They do have cold beer. Just the opposite in Indiana where Kroger sells all spirits, albeit in limited brands, but is not allowed to sell cold beer.

They had plenty of AAA10 both 1 liter and 1.75 liter. I didn't really notice if there were any 750s. Same with Charter 10, plenty. I made my first stop today and may try another local store or the other Red Dot in Frankfort before I leave town. If not, I will go back for a second visit. Not sure if I will be able to go back to Liquor Barn in Lexington or to stop in Louisville on my way home.

We also lucked out in that one of the local distributors was in the store while we were there. He was doing a wine tasting but also distributes several whiskey brands. We had a chance to talk about availability of brands in Kentucky v. Indiana. Interestingly, some of our local wines are not available in Kentucky.

Glad it worked out for you! And yes, that is the Red Dot I was referring to. Should have been more specific. Glad you found it anyhow. If you get to another store try Capital Cellars. Neat little local place with a bigger focus on wines, but they can surprise ou sometimes with their bouron selection.

Sidenote...some Krogers do sell spirits, but they must be in a separate store if you will from the actual grocery.

mbroo5880i
05-30-2013, 20:39
Glad it worked out for you! And yes, that is the Red Dot I was referring to. Should have been more specific. Glad you found it anyhow. If you get to another store try Capital Cellars. Neat little local place with a bigger focus on wines, but they can surprise ou sometimes with their bouron selection.

Sidenote...some Krogers do sell spirits, but they must be in a separate store if you will from the actual grocery.

OK, that makes sense. The lady at Kroger mentioned something about needing to be in a separate store. I will try Capital Cellars. Thanks again!

P&MLiquorsEric
05-31-2013, 16:32
lousvillians....the beverage world on dixie hwy has a shelf full of 750s and 1750s of AAA10 at a normal price. 19.99 for the 750s and i think it was $33 for the 1.75's....there was even a rebate on the 1.75's, $5 i think it was. again, i thought about getting one, but even at $20 i dont really want to take a chance on an untried 86 proofer. I was looking for some EW BIB, which i heard was coming to KY soon and that Elizabethtown already had it, but no luck. didnt even have any OGD 114, so i left empty handed.

You didn't come to the right store in Elizabethtown. We have EW 100 proof and have since last week.

elbowguru
05-31-2013, 18:22
It's funny setting this thread pop back up after I saw two new Sazerac/BT brands hit shelves today. Black Ridge and Chestnut Farms - a 6 and 8 year at 90 proof, respectively. Classy move, choking out two 10 year expressions for younger product in slick looking bottles. At least there's still an age statement.

squire
05-31-2013, 18:26
Well they are slick looking bottles which appeal to cool dudes like my son and his friends all of whom believe Old Grand Dad is for, well, old grand dads.

elbowguru
05-31-2013, 18:28
Well they are slick looking bottles which appeal to cool dudes like my son and his friends all of whom believe Old Grand Dad is for, well, old grand dads.

My buddy saw them on TTB last year and called it "Eddie Bauer" bourbon or something to that effect.:D

squire
05-31-2013, 18:31
That certainly sums it up.

MyOldKyDram
05-31-2013, 18:34
It's funny setting this thread pop back up after I saw two new Sazerac/BT brands hit shelves today. Black Ridge and Chestnut Farms - a 6 and 8 year at 90 proof, respectively. Classy move, choking out two 10 year expressions for younger product in slick looking bottles. At least there's still an age statement.

Bottles designed by the same person being ER and RHF and it shows.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-31-2013, 19:18

We also have a (new to us) low end saz product. Zachariah Harris. Sure looks like Benchmark but a buck or two more expensive.

And dont think those age statements will last on lower and middle tier products. More than one long time brand executives have told us they are a thing of the past on the lower end products if the growth rate continues.

theglobalguy
05-31-2013, 19:20
We also have a (new to us) low end saz product. Zachariah Harris. Sure looks like Benchmark but a buck or two more expensive.

And dont think those age statements will last on lower and middle tier products. More than one long time brand executives have told us they are a thing of the past on the lower end products if the growth rate continues.

So do you figure it's a marketing "repositioning of the brand", or just Sazerac trying to release products deemed cooler by the new customers showing up each day?

P&MLiquorsEric
05-31-2013, 19:46
So do you figure it's a marketing "repositioning of the brand", or just Sazerac trying to release products deemed cooler by the new customers showing up each day?

Big brands cant stand to lose "shelf space" or product facings. If i had to guess, they are bringing out new brands to replace brands they are eliminating. The eliminations could be from sales, a supply shortage or a mixture of the two.

Bourbon is very popular right now but it still is equated with "classic" names and images of old men with old names. The big brands have marketing people looking at other areas of the liquor business and trying to use those techniques on bourbon/whiskey. In vodka and champagne, it is rap songs and the vegas club scene that can drive/expand a products sales.

elbowguru
05-31-2013, 19:49
Let's not forget about Jeffers Creek, certainly low end Barton in a Weller bottle. Is the Stagg JR. going to be a similar facade? All of these were approved about the same time.

squire
05-31-2013, 19:50
Something new, and another way to sell 80 proof stuff.

T Comp
05-31-2013, 20:20

Well this is some interesting news. $47.99 on one retailer's web site for the 8 year. I see someone put in a review on Whisky Connosr back in Febuary too.

Eric, The Zachariah Harris has been out for around a year over here.

mbroo5880i
05-31-2013, 20:35
Have seen AAA10 and Charter 10 at every liquor store that I have visited in Frankfort over the past few days. What I haven't seen but was told to expect not to see is WL12. We visited the BT Distillery today had was told that they aren't even shipping any. There was a lot of discussion about the Pappy explosion and its impact on other brands. They were bottling William Larue Weller today. Apparently, it isn't bottled too frequently.

During the tour, one lady kept asking about Pappy. I ran into her and her husband at a liquor store later and they were still looking for Pappy. They kept hearing the same story but weren't listening. The advice was forget Pappy and spend your money elsewhere. Each time they were also told that WL is a much better option.

I was talking with one of the liquor stores today and they indicated that their distributor can't get any more WL12 right now and isn't expecting to in the near future.

There seemed to be a reasonable supply of WL12 in Indy a few weeks back. I hope that there still is. If so, I am going to stock up tomorrow.

MyOldKyDram
05-31-2013, 20:40
Can't find it here, but it was everywhere in IN as of last week.

mbroo5880i
05-31-2013, 21:09
Can't find it here, but it was everywhere in IN as of last week.

Man, I hope so! I want to stock up. It is one of my faves. I did visit Capital Cellars today but didn't buy anything. Great store with some interesting selections. I liked Red Dot a little better.

One correction. It was Charter 101 that I saw not Charter 10.

P&MLiquorsEric
05-31-2013, 21:12
Like I said, new to us. We reluctantly brought it in more as a favor to our rep.

When they speak of a shortage, they are not talking about 2-5 year old stock. There is plenty of that. From a business standpoint, lack of mature/aged stock and the premium sales that accompany those products can be offset by mass sales of young bourbons.

Jackinbox
05-31-2013, 21:38
There seemed to be a reasonable supply of WL12 in Indy a few weeks back. I hope that there still is. If so, I am going to stock up tomorrow.Hmm. Sounds like I need to go pick up a backup bottle before it's gone here too.

mosugoji64
05-31-2013, 23:11
At least they're 90 proof. The last thing we need is more 80 proofers clogging up the shelves. :rolleyes:

Josh
06-01-2013, 10:21
Couldn't be worse than Benchmark.

Rutherford
06-01-2013, 19:54
There's still plenty of both brands around Owensboro, where I currently am for business, but I elected to leave the bottles for people who like BT juice more. Picked up some Dant and Mellow Corn instead. As for the shortage of aged stocks, you can't keep aging bourbon to the 8-12 year range if you empty the barrels at 4-8 years. That said, I think everybody's shorter on warehouse space than anything else these days, and you can put out 3 barrels' worth of 4 y/o whiskey taking up the same space as one barrel that stays put 12 years.

WAINWRIGHT
06-02-2013, 06:59
Can't find it here, but it was everywhere in IN as of last week.I was pretty surprised while down there I only saw the AAA 10 yr. in one store and only a few bottles at that,shame really I always thought it was a hell of a value for $18.

squire
06-02-2013, 07:17
Ryan I think those Bourbon values we enjoyed for so long are fast becoming a thing of the past.

bingstein
06-06-2013, 11:58
Next time you're at that Red Dot you should eat at Thai Smile. Best Thai food I've ever had.

snidelywhiplash
06-19-2013, 21:20
[First post - be gentle]

Just stumbled across this thread. This would explain why a local store had OC10 marked down a while back. I was frankly a bit surprised to see it, but was glad to snap up all of what they had at $9 a bottle. I just like the stuff. :)

P&MLiquorsEric
06-19-2013, 21:26
[First post - be gentle]

Just stumbled across this thread. This would explain why a local store had OC10 marked down a while back. I was frankly a bit surprised to see it, but was glad to snap up all of what they had at $9 a bottle. I just like the stuff. :)

I don't know the situation or location but I would guess that the low price at more to do with performance/sales than its future status.

Enoch
08-16-2013, 17:56
While I had decided not to stock up on OC10, I found several handles today at a very reasonable price and couldn't help myself.

mbroo5880i
08-16-2013, 20:26
While I had decided not to stock up on OC10, I found several handles today at a very reasonable price and couldn't help myself.

I really like OC10. It is pretty sweet. Oddly, I typically like lower corn, higher rye bourbons but this one I really like. Good job!

393foureyedfox
08-17-2013, 00:05
i just discovered Charter 101 and like it.........as long as they leave that alone im fine.

if they discontinued all the sub-100 proofers, there'd be more good stuff to bottle!

squire
08-17-2013, 04:35
Take away the profitable low cal lines and the price of high proof would quadruple.

thurst63
12-28-2013, 15:58
[First post - be gentle]

i just found this thread ,searching on aaa 10yr,looks to be true it is discontinued,found a case of it in store room,owner said didn't sell so back to the back room,he sold me the case for $102 dollars