PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013

Stones
06-01-2013, 05:08
Just enjoying a pleasant drop of Blanton's Original Private Reserve Bourbon with a spoon of water.
Wondering what you other antipodeans might be imbibing in... :grin:

camduncan
06-01-2013, 14:58
Enjoyed several pours of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey last night.

deathevocation
06-01-2013, 17:50
Friday night at Barranows. Enjoyed a number of Old Fashioneds. They either used MM or Woodfords.

onemorepour
06-06-2013, 19:06
Just enjoying a pleasant drop of Blanton's Original Private Reserve Bourbon with a spoon of water.
Wondering what you other antipodeans might be imbibing in... :grin:

Exactly the same last night minus the water (had a pour of OGD114 first)

Hey camduncan was the bernheim sourced locally? I know Dans are going to stock it but the online status is still "coming soon"

Andre28
06-06-2013, 19:32
Exactly the same last night minus the water (had a pour of OGD114 first)

Hey camduncan was the bernheim sourced locally? I know Dans are going to stock it but the online status is still "coming soon"

Keen on your thoughts on it also.

Last night i had some RR90 and a small pour of Pappy 15. Its running out though :(

camduncan
06-06-2013, 20:15
I see Dan's changed the status from 'comming soon' to 'new' today. I picked my Bernheim bottles up in New Zealand a few years ago - am down to the last few pours of my open bottle and have one spare in the cupboard. Now that it's available locally, I'll enjoy this as a semi-regular pour. It's a light easy drinking whiskey. Reminds me a bit of Crown Royal easy drinking if that helps....

camduncan
06-08-2013, 14:23
Started out last night with some Old Granddad, followed by a pour of 90's Beam Black 8yo and finished with a Makers Old Fashioned with dinner.

onemorepour
06-08-2013, 21:45
Keen on your thoughts on it also.

Last night i had some RR90 and a small pour of Pappy 15. Its running out though :(

More impressed with the blantons this time round, last bottle I had was nearly two years ago and at the time it felt a little one dimensional, this time round it hit just the right notes for me, I last had it in a head to head with a FR single barrel and in comparison the FR was much sweeter, almost overpowering in a way I hadn't noticed before when drinking it alone, the blantons was much dryer whilst still maintaining a good amount of stone fruit sweetness up front -i can only imagine there is a lot more rye in the blantons, which is my preffered style, I will definitely be picking up another bottle

I see Dan's changed the status from 'comming soon' to 'new' today. I picked my Bernheim bottles up in New Zealand a few years ago - am down to the last few pours of my open bottle and have one spare in the cupboard. Now that it's available locally, I'll enjoy this as a semi-regular pour. It's a light easy drinking whiskey. Reminds me a bit of Crown Royal easy drinking if that helps....

Great I will definitely be picking up a bottle ASAP, trying new whiskey is the closest thing available to being a kid at christmas again!
I dont see myself falling in love with it and the comparison to CR confirms my expectations, but hey it aint going to go to waste thats for sure

Last night saw me sitting by a roaring fire, footy on in the background sipping an OGD old fashioned with osso bucco for dinner then settled in with a couple generous pours of WT101 rye

EDIT: The rye must have been generous because the nighcap dram of Talisker 10yr completely slipped my mind!

camduncan
06-09-2013, 02:11
Had some Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 followed by a barrel select Barton's 1792 and finished with another pour of Bernheim. An amazing range tonight if I do say so :)

onemorepour
06-09-2013, 05:31
Had some Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 followed by a barrel select Barton's 1792 and finished with another pour of Bernheim. An amazing range tonight if I do say so :)

Yeh you can say that again! The 1792 is a whiskey im prettty keen to get my hands on, i have found a NZ store that will ship to OZ and the price is good (minus the customs gauntlet run), those kiwis seem to have a superior bourbon range than us, and they seem to generally get the full proof versions, lucky bastards.

Tonight is a cheeky sip of ORVW 10/107 thanks to camduncan, my stock is officially running low now

Pieface
06-09-2013, 17:06
A jolt or two of maker's while the pork was cooking and a nightcap of RR101 - man I have put the hurt on this bottle of RR101 :grin:

Nice set of pours yesterday Cam!

camduncan
06-09-2013, 17:11
Yeh you can say that again! The 1792 is a whiskey im prettty keen to get my hands on, i have found a NZ store that will ship to OZ and the price is good (minus the customs gauntlet run), those kiwis seem to have a superior bourbon range than us, and they seem to generally get the full proof versions, lucky bastards.

Tonight is a cheeky sip of ORVW 10/107 thanks to camduncan, my stock is officially running low now If you mean Sam Snead's House of Whiskey for sourcing 1792, they are great guys and an awesome store that I can't recommend enough. As for the 10/107, when this bottle is gone that'll be it.... Unless Southtrade or the store in Melbourne get more stock, I won't be joining the crazies trying to hunt more down.

onemorepour
06-09-2013, 18:44
Actually I wasnt even aware of Sneads but thanks for the intel, they look very good.
I used to buy my ORVW from the whisky exchange for about half the price sneads have it listed as, and for me thats what it is worth, same goes with my pappy20, once the last bottle is gone thats it, i wont be punching any puppies or kittens to get more.

camduncan
06-10-2013, 16:13
Opened the bottle of 4yo Willett Rye (110 proof) I got from Sam Sneads a couple of weeks ago on a trip to NZ.... spectacular stuff! Even my Dad who is a scotch drinker really enjoyed it. And I finally finished off the last few pours of a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof I've had open since 2005.

onemorepour
06-11-2013, 04:36
Opened the bottle of 4yo Willett Rye (110 proof) I got from Sam Sneads a couple of weeks ago on a trip to NZ.... spectacular stuff! Even my Dad who is a scotch drinker really enjoyed it. And I finally finished off the last few pours of a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof I've had open since 2005.

You sir seem to have access to some lovely whiskey, I am envious.
Tonight I am having a post AFD pour of WT12 - wish it was easy to get more of this juice, almost perfect for the price

camduncan
06-11-2013, 19:54
You sir seem to have access to some lovely whiskey, I am envious.

I've been in the very lucky position to enjoy annual overseas holidays for the last several years. I always make sure I research what bourbons are available at our destination with the aim to bring back as much as my duty free allowance will allow (and my wife's if she's in a sharing mood)

Definately let me know if you ever make it north.... There's a few members here from Brisbane and I'm sure we could organise a get-together and find a few pours to share if you are ever in town :)

HighTower
06-12-2013, 16:25
Had some 110 proof Wild Turkey Tribute last night, watching the level on the bottle go down makes me sad, but my taste buds really enjoy it!!

On the Old Rip 10/107......southtrade do have stock in Australia, when I get on the other PC I will check the price and post back

Scott

HighTower
06-12-2013, 17:13
Wholesale price for Old Rip 10/107 is $130. I can probably get it for that price, get the rep to get it on his company account or something. Let me know if you're keen....

Scott

onemorepour
06-13-2013, 03:27
I've been in the very lucky position to enjoy annual overseas holidays for the last several years. I always make sure I research what bourbons are available at our destination with the aim to bring back as much as my duty free allowance will allow (and my wife's if she's in a sharing mood)

Definately let me know if you ever make it north.... There's a few members here from Brisbane and I'm sure we could organise a get-together and find a few pours to share if you are ever in town :)

Cheers cam, a generous offer which I will remember.

Havin a sip of johnny drum private stock 15yr, i am really enjoying this, for some reason i feel likd i shouldnt be?

camduncan
06-13-2013, 15:57
Havin a sip of johnny drum private stock 15yr, i am really enjoying this, for some reason i feel likd i shouldnt be?

Nothing wrong with that. When I visited Sam Sneads a few weeks ago, I went in with specific bottles in mind to buy, and after a sample of a couple of their open sample bottles ended up leaving with tree totally different bottles including a Johnny Drum. So I guess I rate it given I bought one after tasting it :)

spy247
06-13-2013, 16:56
I'm a big fan of the Johnny Drum and the private stock 15 yr is a good one.

Currently working through my Makers 46 and an old Heaven Hill white label.

camduncan
06-14-2013, 03:25
It's been a few years since I last had it, so at a bar tonight I had a pour of Bulleit over ice and was pleasantly surprised! I might have to buy another bottle if it's this good now :)

Stones
06-14-2013, 04:15
It's been a few years since I last had it, so at a bar tonight I had a pour of Bulleit over ice and was pleasantly surprised! I might have to buy another bottle if it's this good now :)

I also revisited it a while back with surprise, it is a daily go to pour for one of my mates and he impressed on me it was better than I thought. Still need to try the rye they've brought out too. :)

Stones
06-14-2013, 04:16

Hey Cam was it at that new whiskey bar in West End you had it?

camduncan
06-14-2013, 14:45
Hey Tym, it was at my work teams favourite burger place - Yardbird Ale House in the Valley off Brunswick St. I'm definitely keen to try Cobbler in West End soon (is that the new bar you meant?), so if you're up for a couple of pours at some point let me know and we might be able to meet up.

bjbronwyn
06-14-2013, 17:10
enjoyed a couple of Berheim pours last night myself! Really surprised at how smooth it was for a 90proof. Might have to try this Sneads place you guys refer to. Also revisited Bulliet last week and enjoyed my 1st pour, then went to his richer cousin, man that Bulliet rye is a well balanced drop. If any of you guys make your way to SA, give me a yell

deathevocation
06-14-2013, 21:44
Been getting through a bottle of Bulleit I've had for a few years. My last couple of drinks had me thinking meh. Ok mixer though I'd much prefer Evan Williams Black both straight and mixed.

camduncan
06-15-2013, 00:58
Makers Mark Old Fashioned to start the night tonight.

onemorepour
06-15-2013, 02:29
Damn and I just came back from a week long work trip to Adelaide
Not all is lost as I was a relatively good boy and saved most of my per diem by avoiding bars and fancy eateries - as a result I was able to easily justify the purchase of a 2009 WT Tradition 14yr - the packaging is really impressive, I might admire it a little longer before I turn all christmas morning psycho on it!

HighTower
06-15-2013, 03:05
The Tradition is a great bourbon - enjoy!!

I started with Wild Turkey American Spirit 15yr, moved to Jefferson's Reserve 15yo, now about to tuck into home made pizza with Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009...

Scott

bjbronwyn
06-15-2013, 23:44
old rvw is only sold in one place in Adelaide, and its $195 for the 10yr 107, cant justify that much coin. I am interested in trying another older wheater though. Any ideas? I tried the WLW from the BTAC, and was mildly disappointed.

bjbronwyn
06-16-2013, 00:01
Started off with A Rittenhouse BIB today and followed it up with a Ancient Age 3 yr. There is something that I really like about younger expression whiskeys, maybe its about the lack of strong oak flavours, or the purity of the mash which I find very pleasant! Shouldve bought more AA whilst over in the States!

HighTower
06-16-2013, 06:20
I'd suggest Weller 12, love that stuff!

onemorepour
06-16-2013, 21:18
old rvw is only sold in one place in Adelaide, and its $195 for the 10yr 107, cant justify that much coin. I am interested in trying another older wheater though. Any ideas? I tried the WLW from the BTAC, and was mildly disappointed.

Or the OWA107, i havent tried the new NAS juice but the old bottling was awesome, should be able to get it for around half the price of the ORVW delivered from the UK, and signaficantly less if customs dont pick it up!

deathevocation
06-17-2013, 05:37
A couple of cheeky glasses of EW black.

onemorepour
06-22-2013, 01:50
Finally cracked the WT tradition - gorgeous stuff! I took my time with it and had an initial sip, nice, then covered the glass and came back to it after half an hour, wow what a difference, it really opened up, nose of dark chocolate, leather, coffee, reminiscent of a well aged pedro ximenez sherry! Very balanced on the palate too, i feared it might be overly tannic but it backs off at the right time and gives a long mouth coating finish.

Picked up some bernheim, first impression is OK, rougher edges than expected, will have to be in the right mood for this one

deathevocation
06-22-2013, 06:23
On the Scotch tonight. Glenfiddich 18. Also was given a bottle of Drambuie 15, actually surprised it isn't bad at all.

onemorepour
06-26-2013, 03:45
A couple pours of Russels Reserves rye, nice whiskey, still prefer the WT101 rye

Stones
06-26-2013, 22:00
Hey Tym, it was at my work teams favourite burger place - Yardbird Ale House in the Valley off Brunswick St. I'm definitely keen to try Cobbler in West End soon (is that the new bar you meant?), so if you're up for a couple of pours at some point let me know and we might be able to meet up.

Yes that is the place, I am also keen to explore some time, would Scottie be interested too?

Vietish
06-27-2013, 04:03
Drinking a few glasses of Van Winkle Lot B that I bought for my dad and he didn't really like. Win for me!

Also, speaking of drinking in Australia, just looked on the Dan Murphy's website and they have Elmer T. Lee as coming soon. Pretty excited for that and considering what the online retailers sell it for here, its a pretty decent price.

deathevocation
06-27-2013, 04:07
Pretty sure I paid $90 at Nicks. Thought Dans would have it around mid $60s.

Vietish
06-27-2013, 04:45
I thought it was about a $100 plus about $15 for postage on Nicks. But if its $90 then I agree its not that great.

The only shop in Sydney I know you could buy it from is charging $110.

deathevocation
06-27-2013, 04:49
Just checked, it's $100 there. Still think DM is too high.

camduncan
06-27-2013, 15:50
I'll buy a bottle from Dans, but I can guarantee that at that price the bottles going to last 12 months or more as it won't be a regular pour. The alternative is to bring my own in from the US, but at last count (when the dollar was equal) it didn't really save me more than $5 or so.

camduncan
06-27-2013, 15:57
And welcome to SB Stephen! You'll find an amazing wealth of information here, plenty of friendly folk and several fellow bourbon-passionate Aussies around the traps :)

spy247
06-28-2013, 21:07
Just finishing off my Four Roses Small Batch and some OGB bottled in bond. Both are nice drops.

Stones
06-29-2013, 05:14
Drinking a few glasses of Van Winkle Lot B that I bought for my dad and he didn't really like. Win for me!

Also, speaking of drinking in Australia, just looked on the Dan Murphy's website and they have Elmer T. Lee as coming soon. Pretty excited for that and considering what the online retailers sell it for here, its a pretty decent price.

Nice score on the Lot B Vietish, and nice spotting of the Elmer T i'll def be bunkering a few of those. :)

bjbronwyn
07-15-2013, 01:46
Just tried my first glass of Blantons Special Reserve, it wont be my last! I know its only 80 proof, but it has those subtle flavours that I like from others such as ETL, EWSB. I don't know why it took so long, but by the looks of it, I'll need another bottle by the end of the week!

Vietish
07-17-2013, 04:28
Having a large pour of Elmer T. Lee in honour of the passing of the great man.

It might get a little larger if QLD score again.... :(

deathevocation
07-17-2013, 05:25
Having a large pour of Elmer T. Lee in honour of the passing of the great man.

It might get a little larger if QLD score again.... :(

It's a good game so far.

camduncan
07-17-2013, 16:07
Had a pour of 90 proof Buffalo Trace in honour of Elmer last night.

Stones
07-18-2013, 22:01
Had a pour of 90 proof Buffalo Trace in honour of Elmer last night.

Nice tribute Cam, might do the same myself tonight. :)

Pieface
07-18-2013, 23:42
Took the last pour from my Blanton Gold label as my hat tip to Elmer.

deathevocation
07-19-2013, 06:09
Old Grand Dad 86 at the moment.

squire
07-19-2013, 06:37
Old Grand Dad at a moment's notice.

deathevocation
07-20-2013, 03:10
Old Grand Dad at a moment's notice.

Good choice mate.

Stones
07-20-2013, 03:54
Took the last pour from my Blanton Gold label as my hat tip to Elmer.

Nice one Pieface, I intend to try this at WhiskyLive in August.
Tonight I'm really enjoying a few ER10, it has just the right amount of sweetness with lengthy oak flavours afterwards. :)

deathevocation
07-20-2013, 03:59
I hava a barrel strength Blantons I should open. Got it in Singapore.

Stones
07-20-2013, 04:19
I hava a barrel strength Blantons I should open. Got it in Singapore.

Sounds excellent, do you have any if the other Blantons to taste against?

deathevocation
07-20-2013, 22:44
Sounds excellent, do you have any if the other Blantons to taste against?

Just the gold label.

deathevocation
07-20-2013, 22:49
16103Sorry about the quality.

deathevocation
07-21-2013, 04:31
Elmer T Lee. What a great smelling bourbon. Great taste too.

camduncan
07-21-2013, 19:13
Felt like something sweeter last night, so had a pour or Red Stag.... and followed it with some Crown Royal. Big mistake. Neglected to wash the glass after the Stag and it ruined the CR! I do know better so no excuses :(

Stones
07-22-2013, 21:17
Felt like something sweeter last night, so had a pour or Red Stag.... and followed it with some Crown Royal. Big mistake. Neglected to wash the glass after the Stag and it ruined the CR! I do know better so no excuses :(

Oh dear it could have been worse if you'd washed it all down with slate... just sayin'. :p

spy247
07-27-2013, 03:30
Given the family want traditional NC pulled pork (it will be a long night). Some Wild Turkey Tradition for me.

onemorepour
07-28-2013, 06:01
Some Ritt BiB followed by a generous pour of woodfords

onemorepour
07-30-2013, 03:07
16103Sorry about the quality.

Is that a bottle of WT12? I cleaned out the liqour stores around Port Melbourne and havent been able to track anymore in the last 6 months, it hurts me deeply, for my palate almost a perfect bourbon that i can enjoy every day.

Havin a Nikka from the barrel which dans have started stocking (barrel proof blended grain and malt japanese whisky) id had it at a bar before and not dissapointed with my first bottle, something different but almost bourbon like in some ways.

Vietish
07-31-2013, 22:58
Just had a quick look at the Dan Murphys site and nearly spat out a mouthful of coke all over the key board. I love how they are increasing the selection of bourbon on there, but their prices for anything Pappy......its kills me.

deathevocation
08-01-2013, 01:51
Is that a bottle of WT12? I cleaned out the liqour stores around Port Melbourne and havent been able to track anymore in the last 6 months, it hurts me deeply, for my palate almost a perfect bourbon that i can enjoy every day.

Havin a Nikka from the barrel which dans have started stocking (barrel proof blended grain and malt japanese whisky) id had it at a bar before and not dissapointed with my first bottle, something different but almost bourbon like in some ways.

Yep. Got about three bottles left. Didn't know Dans had Nikka, cheers.

deathevocation
08-01-2013, 01:52
Just had a quick look at the Dan Murphys site and nearly spat out a mouthful of coke all over the key board. I love how they are increasing the selection of bourbon on there, but their prices for anything Pappy......its kills me.

Wow. Nearly twice as much as what I paid for the 15 year old last year.

onemorepour
08-01-2013, 02:19

Yeh its stupid!! As far as I am aware there is only one distributor of PVW in Oz and I had a chat with him at his store about a year ago while buying a bottle for $80 less than dan has it, he confirmed that Nicks get their stock through him as well, adding another $50 to the price, the way he told it he had a good relationship with Julian VW going back a few years. Either dans have muscled in on him and are taking the piss with their markup knowing the current hype, or they are buying through the distributor and charging a handling fee larger than Nicks, either way its a scumbag move.

Edit: talking about the 20yr - didnt realise they had others, holy crap!! Those prices!

Andre28
08-01-2013, 03:38
Just got back from the US. MY friend helped me out with carrying duties, so the haul consists of

Old Forrester Birthday
Makers 46
Weller 12
Bulleit 10 year
Four Roses Single Barrel

and for good measure, a Coffee Patron.

Will take a super long time before I even open most of these, let alone finish them, but at the prices I got them for, it would be silly not to buy them!

Andre28
08-01-2013, 03:42
and holy crap at those Pappy prices at Dans. I paid $180 for the 15 from a seller in Melbourne last year (not Nicks, the other whose name escapes me at the moment)

Stones
08-01-2013, 22:05
and holy crap at those Pappy prices at Dans. I paid $180 for the 15 from a seller in Melbourne last year (not Nicks, the other whose name escapes me at the moment)

Was it Burwood's? $180 is still pricey I guess but its better than paying $100 more for it at DM's!

bjbronwyn
08-01-2013, 23:06
Dans also has Parkers heritage collection at a reasonable price (I think), but beware, all the bottles they had in Adelaide had no seals even though the picture on the website clearly shows a seal. Make sure when ordering online that the bottles have seals. I still bought mine and I don't regret it, a very complex bourbon. I spent an hour on the phone blasting Dans yesterday, trying to get a price match on the PVW15 from Nicks but they refused because of the 10km loophole, but if its online only, and cant be purchased in a store, that should negate the fact that Nicks is in Vic and im in Adelaide! Im sure Dans is shafting its loyal customers, and I told them so. Only 11 bottles of the 15 are in the country by the way (as of yesterday), but too rich for my blood!

Andre28
08-02-2013, 01:13
yeah that was it. $180 was indeed pricey but I guess I couldnt control for myself. At $280 though I have found much much more restraint!

camduncan
08-02-2013, 01:18
As far as I know, Dan's are getting their product through Southtrade who have the wholesale rights to the BT direct products (not Blantons etc)... My understanding is they're getting very limited supply of Pappy via BT, but that Ian at Burwood Cellars still has a direct agreement with Julian, so will continue to get product.

bjbronwyn
08-02-2013, 01:43
It wouldn't surprise me that southtrade put the pappy line up for tender to all the major liquor stores to see who will pay the most to stock it! Its unbelievable the price increase over the period of 4 months since it last was on the shelves. A few stores used to have it at $190, fassina and PALS here in Adelaide, but it obviously sold too quickly! So maybe its southtrade that bumped the price not Dans! didn't stop me from giving them a serve however!!

bjbronwyn
08-02-2013, 02:02
....On another matter, has anyone else here tried the PHC? Interested to hear your thoughts. I found it to be very complex, with a lot of flavours competing with each other. That's not a criticism though, certainly the rye and wheat together make it very interesting, but also very balanced. Its certainly the best bourbon ive tried in this price range, and with this higher proof, and ive tried a few. I wonder if this is similar to what a good four grain tastes like? I admit I had to dilute it with a splash of water to enjoy the flavours a bit more.

camduncan
08-02-2013, 03:17
I'm hoping to get a bottle or two, but have a few other orders on the go that I need to sort out first...... Hopefully it'll still be around by then :) Your taste notes certainly got me interested!

Vietish
08-02-2013, 04:45
I was looking at PHC as well. Its going near the limit of my price range for what I would be willing to pay for something, but I think I will try and convince the gf to let me splurge a little. It makes it a bit easier when she is also a bourbon lover. It will either be that or the Kentucky Spirit.

Also, I am having several large pours of Woodford as I just happened to score two 1ltr bottles for $100

onemorepour
08-02-2013, 05:49
After all this pappy talk i thought i should have a pour of the 20, then followrd it up with a pour of WT101, yeh, much rather have six bottles of WT for the same price!

bjbronwyn
08-03-2013, 02:11
After work had a couple of JD blacks followed by BT, then ETL and finished with a HW double rye. All very good whiskeys for what we can get in Australia. Now to cook dinner..... Here goes nothing!

Stones
08-03-2013, 06:25
Just tried my first glass of Blantons Special Reserve, it wont be my last! I know its only 80 proof, but it has those subtle flavours that I like from others such as ETL, EWSB. I don't know why it took so long, but by the looks of it, I'll need another bottle by the end of the week!

I know what you mean, just like many others I tend to steer towards any BT bottling, there's just something about their flavour profiles that gets me. I bought a bottle of ER10 just 2 weeks back and only have a few pours left in it... ;)

camduncan
08-03-2013, 15:01
Enjoyed some OGD 86 proof and a pour of Virginia Gentleman last night.

onemorepour
08-08-2013, 16:48
Being my birthday I figured I should get my something nice, so I jumped on Dans website and ordered a bottle of PHC, will be watching the mail delivery next week like a hawk!

Vietish
08-08-2013, 16:54
Happy Birthday mate!! Hope its a good one.

onemorepour
08-08-2013, 17:55
Happy Birthday mate!! Hope its a good one.

Thanks!
I should i have ordered the PHC ahead so I could crack it on my birthday, but im sure Il find other ways to celebrate:cool:

tanstaafl2
08-10-2013, 17:04
A little off topic but I would value some input from down under! Saw this today in a local store and was intrigued.

Lark Single Cask whisky (http://www.smwhisky.com.au/catalogue.php/Lark%2C_Port_Cask%2C_43%25%2C_Single_Malt_Australi an_Whisky?item=219&parentcategories=1_4_149). Relatively low proof at 43% and looks to be small cask aged (about 40 gallons/100 liters?) suggests something smaller than a standard barrel. Port finish which is interesting. Probably relatively young as well but no indication of age I could find on the bottle. Link suggests "up to 8 years". But the biggest downside is the price at about $150. I like getting unusual bottles but at this price it would be nice to know this at least has a chance to be decent!

Had a Hellyer's Road 3 bottle gift pack and I confess I found it to be a bit peculiar.

What I would really love to try is a Smith's Angaston 8yo Single Malt whisky. Not sure why but it has always sounded intriguing. If somebody is interested in working towards a friendly arrangement feel free to PM me!

camduncan
08-10-2013, 17:17
Cracked a bottle of Makers 46 (that I picked up in Hawaii in 2012) yesterday in honour of its release on the Aussie market next week. Tasty stuff! Can't wait to see it on the shelves of my local retailer soon :)

Stones
08-11-2013, 04:52
Cracked a bottle of Makers 46 (that I picked up in Hawaii in 2012) yesterday in honour of its release on the Aussie market next week. Tasty stuff! Can't wait to see it on the shelves of my local retailer soon :)

I tried this in 2010 and found it to be quite palatable compared to the entry model MM, interesting its coming to market here now, i'll have to give it another try even though i'm not the biggest MM fan. Do you have an idea what it might be retailing for Cam?

Vietish
08-12-2013, 02:35
I need some advice if anyone can help. I was in a random bottle shop on the weekend and I saw a couple of things that I don't know if it worth my while to go back for. There was High West Rendezvous Rye and High West Double Rye. I have read a little on them, but just wanted to get anyone opinions about if they are worth looking at getting, as this would be my first foray into Rye's.

Also there was a Wild Turkey 8 Year Old with a red top and age statement on the front, which was the only one there, the rest were 101's. It stood out as I dont recall seeing it around much, but then I never really looked before.

I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Old Dusty
08-12-2013, 05:42
If you want a non-Aussie opinion, get all three. The High West are blends of two ryes each. They are probably good entry points for a rye newbie. If you only get one, get the Rendezvous. As for the WT I always grab age stated products if they have dropped to NAS status and I can still find them.

camduncan
08-12-2013, 16:42
I tried this in 2010 and found it to be quite palatable compared to the entry model MM, interesting its coming to market here now, i'll have to give it another try even though i'm not the biggest MM fan. Do you have an idea what it might be retailing for Cam?

My latest information is that it will retail for around $80

camduncan
08-12-2013, 16:50
I need some advice if anyone can help. I was in a random bottle shop on the weekend and I saw a couple of things that I don't know if it worth my while to go back for. There was High West Rendezvous Rye and High West Double Rye. I have read a little on them, but just wanted to get anyone opinions about if they are worth looking at getting, as this would be my first foray into Rye's.

Also there was a Wild Turkey 8 Year Old with a red top and age statement on the front, which was the only one there, the rest were 101's. It stood out as I dont recall seeing it around much, but then I never really looked before.

I agree with the advice given - I'd grab any High West I could get my hands on, but that's because I am a big Rye fan. From memory High West retails over $100 a bottle here, so if you've never tried Rye, it might be cheaper to grab a Jim Beam or Wild Turkey version first to see if it is a flavour you enjoy.

Vietish
08-13-2013, 03:24
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have tried Beam and Turkey Rye and I don't mind it. Also if the memory serves me right, one of the bottles was $89 and the other $99. They had a lot of bottles there, so I dont think they will run out before I get back there. I might just try and grab the two, going off the recommendations above.

deathevocation
08-14-2013, 03:31

Grab the WT. Should be around $60 - $65.

Vietish
08-15-2013, 04:07
So I went back to the store and grabbed the Turkey. It was only $50.00 and it was the only one there which really swayed my mind. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the High West. One factor being the weight of two bottles in my bag on the train ride home. They still had 12 bottles left of the High West, so I can get that next time.

Also, Cam, you were spot on with the price for the 46. $79.90

I am now going to sit down and crack the bottle of Turkey. Its Friday tomorrow!

camduncan
08-16-2013, 01:13
Have some Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream on hand..... am thinking it might need sampling over the weekend :)

Vietish
08-16-2013, 05:48
So, yet again my girlfriend has shown me why I need to lock her down and marry her. She has just sent me a link to the Makers Mark FB page where they informed us about a visit this weekend. I know where I am going before the Rugby.

Maker’s Mark Chairman Emeritus Bill Samuels, Jr., is coming to Australia and he’s bringing a revolutionary new bourbon with him! Maker’s 46: a bolder, more complex expression of Maker’s Mark, with a long, lingering bitter-free finish that is nothing short of remarkable.

Join us in Sydney or Melbourne to meet the Maker and purchase the limited release Maker's 46. Aug 17, 4:30-5:30 PM at Dan Murphy’s Alexandria in Sydney, and Aug 19, 4:30-5:30 at Costco Docklands in Melbourne. Then this limited release product will be available at specialty liquor stores.

camduncan
08-16-2013, 15:04
It's already on the shelves at select Dan's stores here in Brisbane.... maybe that's Brisbane's poor substitute for not getting a public visit from Bill :(:slappin:

deathevocation
08-18-2013, 01:43
Evan Williams Black.

camduncan
08-18-2013, 02:54
Celebrating a very warm winters day with a Makers 46 Mint Julep, followed by a few pours of Makers 46 neat while grilling chicken sausages, T-bones and sweet corn on the cob....

HighInTheMtns
08-18-2013, 02:59
Celebrating a very warm winters day with a Makers 46 Mint Julep, followed by a few pours of Makers 46 neat while grilling chicken sausages, T-bones and sweet corn on the cob....
Wait a minute, am I drinking simultaneously with you? I better get my ass to bed.

Old Fitz BiB, btw... But nowhere near AUS.

deathevocation
08-18-2013, 04:10

Sounds like a good time.

bjbronwyn
08-22-2013, 00:10
WT101 Rye, but not for much longer, as with our mates over the pond, they are phasing out the 101 and going to 81 proof rye, I fear this may be permanent. Already in some stores, so stock up on the 101 boys!

onemorepour
08-22-2013, 01:08
WT101 Rye, but not for much longer, as with our mates over the pond, they are phasing out the 101 and going to 81 proof rye, I fear this may be permanent. Already in some stores, so stock up on the 101 boys!

Thanks for the heads up, i always suspected the party would end sooner or later but this seriously hurts me, im off to buy a case right now!

onemorepour
08-23-2013, 00:48
Picked up a dozen bottles and locked them away. Will try and pick up a few more next pay packet, im slightly obsessed but not enough to bust out the crerit card, have to save some face with the missus!
Check out dans website, there is no listing for the 101 anymore and the price is staying the same for the 81, so yeh stock up, if the 101 does come back i hate to think at what price point?

bjbronwyn
08-23-2013, 05:07
Check out dans website, there is no listing for the 101 anymore and the price is staying the same for the 81, so yeh stock up, if the 101 does come back i hate to think at what price point? Yeah I had another run in with Dans about that! Most stores still have the 101, but are advertising the 81 with no stock until all 101 is sold! At best its misleading and at worst its false advertising! They want people to do more online shopping, but you think youre buying 81 and 101 comes to your door! Not a bad thing I suppose but, you want what you order!

squire
08-23-2013, 13:21
i always suspected the party would end sooner or later but this seriously hurts me, im off to buy a case right now!

Sound reasoning, very sound.

onemorepour
08-24-2013, 02:39
Yeah I had another run in with Dans about that! Most stores still have the 101, but are advertising the 81 with no stock until all 101 is sold! At best its misleading and at worst its false advertising! They want people to do more online shopping, but you think youre buying 81 and 101 comes to your door! Not a bad thing I suppose but, you want what you order!

Very interesting.
Yep your right about the online push, while buying the dozen WTs at my local i asked about the elmer t lee and if they could bring it in from another store for me "nah mate just order online" no worries...unfortunately these guys have a stranglehold on the trade, even my bar owner mates find it cheaper to buy from then than suppliers.

Having a sweet tooth moment so knocked together a new creation of mine, I call it "Smokey The Bears Balls"
In a large lowball glass or old fashioned glass place two rounded ice cubes (i have XL ice trays and roughly shape the cubes with a couple whacks in the mortar and pestle
To this add 1oz barenjager honey liqour, 0.5 oz bernheim wheat whiskey and 0.5 oz laprhoaig quater cask, ten year would work also but i would add a splash more due to the lower proof, or use any other super smokey scotch like talisker10, stir in glass to combine well.
I initially just combined the barenjager and laprhoaig but found the contrast between the two was too great, i settled on the bernheim as i wanted to add another layer of depth to transition the flavours but i didnt want to confuse the palate with rye, OWA or makers 46 would be worth a try, or even a sherry cask finished scotch like a tobermory could be pretty interesting, anyway it turned out pretty good, big smack of honey, bit of oak mid palate and a clean smokey finish.

oke&coke
08-24-2013, 11:50
Smokey the Bears Balls. Now that has a nice ring to it.

squire
08-24-2013, 13:29
Wouldn't mention it to Smokey though.

camduncan
08-24-2013, 15:35
Mixed it up a bit yesterday afternoon while sitting on the back deck with friends.... Makers 46, Crown Royal and Hudson Baby Bourbon. Also, my local Dan's is out of Makers 46 and doesn't expect more anytime soon. I'd say the market push just before Fathers Day was a success!

onemorepour
08-28-2013, 07:27
A couple pours of babysaz.

Interesting to note that the Wild Turkey Australia website lists its rye, with a photo showing the new label, as 90 proof? No closeup of the label.
Dans definitely list it is 40.5abv. I don't think there is such a thing as a rye 90, WT website must be a typo?

squire
08-28-2013, 10:28
One would think so unless WT made another mistake.

onemorepour
08-28-2013, 14:28
One would think so unless WT made another mistake.

No christmas card for Austin Nicholls this year?

HighInTheMtns
08-28-2013, 17:16
A couple pours of babysaz.

Interesting to note that the Wild Turkey Australia website lists its rye, with a photo showing the new label, as 90 proof? No closeup of the label.
Dans definitely list it is 40.5abv. I don't think there is such a thing as a rye 90, WT website must be a typo?
I think Wild Turkey just really likes telling lies.

smokinjoe
08-28-2013, 18:05
Nah. Maybe, it's 90...but, I doubt it. More like sloppy work by some sloppy copywriter.

deathevocation
08-31-2013, 04:39
Evan Williams Black mixed.

onemorepour
08-31-2013, 23:59
Picked up a bottle each of EWSB 2001 and 2002 for a side by side.
This lack of variety is killing me, im back to buying bourbon I had written off a couple years ago as do not buy. Even the kiwis get a bigger range than we do.

I think I might start distilling and ageing my own whiskey, make use of that science degree.

bjbronwyn
09-02-2013, 00:42
Picked up a bottle each of EWSB 2001 and 2002 for a side by side.
This lack of variety is killing me, im back to buying bourbon I had written off a couple years ago as do not buy. Even the kiwis get a bigger range than we do.

I think I might start distilling and ageing my own whiskey, make use of that science degree. I like both the 2001 and 2002 EWSB, whats your opinion? These are the only 2 years ive tried, Ive heard the older ones were even better! They are both light and not to complicated, but very tasty!

deathevocation
09-02-2013, 04:38
I like both the 2001 and 2002 EWSB, whats your opinion? These are the only 2 years ive tried, Ive heard the older ones were even better! They are both light and not to complicated, but very tasty!

I much prefer 01.

onemorepour
09-02-2013, 05:04
I like both the 2001 and 2002 EWSB, whats your opinion? These are the only 2 years ive tried, Ive heard the older ones were even better! They are both light and not to complicated, but very tasty!

Yeh I will get back to you on that one, I do remember not enjoying the 2001 very much, but that was a while ago now.
For some reason I decided to give my palate a couple weeks off the booze, guess Im keen to see the effects of taking a break from a drinking style of pretty much only >100 proof spirits the last few months, something about absence making the heart grow fonder...

camduncan
09-02-2013, 16:13
I have multiple bottles of the 93 through 97 in the cupboard, but stopped buying them when they jacked the price from $45 to $60 a few years ago. It looks like it'd dropped back into the $40's, so I might start buying them again. The plan was always to do a tasting through the vintages, but for various reasons it never eventuated.

Stones
09-07-2013, 03:17
Loving ER10 ATM... :grin:

Vietish
09-07-2013, 03:44
Kicking back and slowly working my way through a old bottle of Turkey I have been meaning to finish as I watch the election results roll on it.

onemorepour
09-12-2013, 05:44
Kicking back and slowly working my way through a old bottle of Turkey I have been meaning to finish as I watch the election results roll on it.

Howd u go, finish the bottle?

Havin my first pour of Makers46. Quite different, silky soft mouth feel, hint of young cognac funk, seems somewhat off balance, my instinct is to see how it goes in a sidecar

Stones
09-12-2013, 22:19
Friday afternoon drinks at work with a few pours of Blanton's Original Private Reserve on the way... :)

onemorepour
09-13-2013, 03:42
Cracked the EWSB 2001, first impression is quite good and heaps better than from memory, prominent anise like nose and flavour, suprisingly bitey for the low proof but i aint complaining! Very short finish. Might crack the 2002 at half time, Go Cats!

Vietish
09-13-2013, 04:28
Howd u go, finish the bottle?

Havin my first pour of Makers46. Quite different, silky soft mouth feel, hint of young cognac funk, seems somewhat off balance, my instinct is to see how it goes in a sidecar

Yep. As the results kept coming in, I kept drinking more :P

Vietish
09-13-2013, 04:29
Friday afternoon drinks at work with a few pours of Blanton's Original Private Reserve on the way... :)

I want to work where you work.

onemorepour
09-14-2013, 03:58
Picked up my first bottle of van winkle 12 lot b today and apart from the family reserve rye which i havent tried, this is easily my favourite of the bunch, its an absolute cracker! I think i can finally see some understanding for all the hype surrounding these bourbons.
Oh yeh and the latest news (to me anyway) is that Sazerac are gearing to distribute van winkle products themselves within Australia, so say hello to even crazier prices.

Vietish
09-20-2013, 05:23
I personally love the lot b as well. It something I always help my self to when I visit my old man.

I was in the city with the girl tonight and took her to a bar that stocks a pretty good range of bourbon. Pay through the nose for it, but as we all know, a good range is hard to find and you have to do what you have to do. Out of all the bourbons we drank tonight, her favorite just happened to be GTS. She loved the burn with the high proof and told me I should get a bottle for home. :bigeyes: I didn't have the heart to tell her its $300. I might have to save it for xmas.

camduncan
09-23-2013, 02:53
Back on the Rye tonight.... started with some Old Overholt, and followed up with a pour of Willett 4yo Rye. Yum!

Andre28
10-16-2013, 16:41
cracked open a couple of bottles I picked up from the States a few months ago. The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon had the nicest bottle, and was the priciest at $70 or $80 I believe. Honestly not that impressed. The Bulleit 10 year however is really really good. Great improvement over regular Bulleit (more so than the improvement Makers 46 brings over Makers), and was very well worth the $50 USD I paid.

camduncan
10-19-2013, 01:24
enjoying some damm fine BT Cream Liquor this afternoon. This stuff is mothers-milk. Such a shame it won't be available here :(

onemorepour
10-21-2013, 00:10
Hey cam you seem to be well informed in whats coming to our shores, anything coming soon that us enthusiasts should get excited about?

camduncan
10-21-2013, 01:48
We did well this year..... Dan Murphy's bourbon listings have increased from somewhere in the 60's at the start of the year to 80 now (but that also includes the pre-mix stuff.) As for rumours, I've heard Knob Creek is making a return, and that we should see the Jim Beam Signature Series. Wild Turkey have just released Forgiven and Spiced. I've heard nothing from Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace. Bulleit Rye seems to have been picked up by First Choice so it should be more readily available in time for Christmas. Balcones and High West are available at Nicks. We just need some Barton and Four Roses now :)

bjbronwyn
10-21-2013, 02:59
We did well this year..... Dan Murphy's bourbon listings have increased from somewhere in the 60's at the start of the year to 80 now (but that also includes the pre-mix stuff.) As for rumours, I've heard Knob Creek is making a return, and that we should see the Jim Beam Signature Series. Wild Turkey have just released Forgiven and Spiced. I've heard nothing from Heaven Hill or Buffalo Trace. Bulleit Rye seems to have been picked up by First Choice so it should be more readily available in time for Christmas. Balcones and High West are available at Nicks. We just need some Barton and Four Roses now :)

Great info.. thanks Cam. I cant wait for KC as this is one I still haven't tried. Bulliet rye should become popular, its one of my favourites. What I think Australia really needs are some more good wheaters such as OWA and Weller12. These are some that haven't made an appearance in my liquor cabinet yet, anxiously waiting. Has anyone seen the 2013 vintage of EWSB on shelves yet?

onemorepour
10-21-2013, 03:34

Cheers cam.Will be interesting to see what proof the bulleit rye comes in at, and I still cant believe there is no widespread distribution of four roses yet, it just seems so stupid.

bjbronwyn
10-21-2013, 03:44
Cheers cam.Will be interesting to see what proof the bulleit rye comes in at, and I still cant believe there is no widespread distribution of four roses yet, it just seems so stupid.
Ive managed to get a few bulliets early (and more expensive than 1st choice), they are 95 proof! Ive also tried talking to Beam about bringing OGD over with no luck!

MauiSon
10-21-2013, 12:11
Are you sure about that? The Bulleit Rye has a big 95 on it, but that's the rye percentage in the mashbill. The standard bottle is 90 proof.

bjbronwyn
10-21-2013, 23:11
Are you sure about that? The Bulleit Rye has a big 95 on it, but that's the rye percentage in the mashbill. The standard bottle is 90 proof.

I stand corrected, thanks Maui. 90 proof. I should actually read labels instead of seeing big numbers.:banghead:. It also appears that 1st choice has stopped stocking the EWSB, which is most disappointing!

onemorepour
10-22-2013, 01:46
I stand corrected, thanks Maui. 90 proof. I should actually read labels instead of seeing big numbers.:banghead:. It also appears that 1st choice has stopped stocking the EWSB, which is most disappointing!

Well thats crap, if they get rid of virgin bourbon then i will have no reason to shop there again, their bourbon range sucks.
How is the bulleit? A respectable WT rye101 replacement?

deathevocation
10-22-2013, 03:23
I haven't even see EW Black the last couple of visits to First Choice. That's my go to cheap whisky. If they're gonna stop selling it I won't be happy. Might have to hit up all the Coles in my area and buy up.

Vietish
10-22-2013, 21:39
Vintage Cellars is listing Bulleit Rye in stock for $60.

bjbronwyn
10-22-2013, 23:02
Ist choice have the Bulleit Rye in stock for $46, which is good value, I paid $70 only a week ago for mine. I actually prefer this whiskey over the WTRye 101, but you guys are right on the money... its the only thing i'll be buying from 1st choice.

onemorepour
10-23-2013, 01:59
Sweet will definitely be buying some, the loss of WT101 was hurting me and this could be my saviour.have you tried virgin bourbon 101? Good value, mixes an excelent manhattan

whiskeyagonzo
10-23-2013, 13:35
Having a pour of 2013 OF BB I just picked up today. Lovely nose. :-)

smknjoe
10-23-2013, 13:57
Having a pour of 2013 OF BB I just picked up today. Lovely nose. :-)

I didn't know you were the traveling gnome. What are you doing near the bottom of the world?

whiskeyagonzo
10-23-2013, 15:27
I didn't know you were the traveling gnome. What are you doing near the bottom of the world?

Hahaha! I didn't even see that. Rough day. I should pay closer attention. I once welcomed a new member from Albany, NY as a Hoosier. I think I must have thought it said New Albany. Any cheers to my friends down under!!

bjbronwyn
10-24-2013, 01:06
Good onya gonzo! Yes pour, Ive tried the Virgin 101, its not too bad as a mixer, but pretty rough round the edges if you ask me. I haven't even tried a manhattan, you might have to mix me one when I visit? I though you bought a case of the WT101R a month or so ago, is it all gone already?

onemorepour
10-24-2013, 02:27
No worries give us a shout out next time youre around, I can show you a couple must go whiskey bars.
Nah havent finished the WT yet! Ive put away half a dozen for long term storage and need something affordable as an everyday rye, i cant stand JB rye and Ritt BIB goes for way too much around here...