PDA

View Full Version : ibuypappy.com

Tico
06-02-2013, 09:38
Well, that's one way to do it

:lol::lol::lol:

LostBottle
06-02-2013, 10:12
The guy couldn't even be bothered to use private domain registration: http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?domain=ibuypappy.com&prog_id=GoDaddy

The registrant is the owner of Financial District Wine and Liquors (http://fidiwine.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=pappy), and the address is the shop. I wonder what he is doing buying up so much Pappy of unknown provenance...

MyOldKyDram
06-02-2013, 10:16
This is the kind of guy I could willingly sell fakes to.

squire
06-02-2013, 10:17
Next we'll see ibuyemptypappybottles.com.

Trey Manthey
06-02-2013, 10:24
I applaud his novel approach to practicing free market capitalism. Bourbon is just another commodity like orange juice concentrate or pork bellies. What is the current trading price of PVW15 anyway?

Meruck
06-02-2013, 10:25
I have some bags and neck tags to go with those empty bottles...............

whiskeyagonzo
06-02-2013, 10:28
This is the kind of guy I could willingly sell fakes to.

It could be done. I snuck a flask of OWA into a bar one night and some nosy lady was asking me what was in it. I smiled and said pappy. She then immediately wanted to sample it. I let her sample it and then she declared it the best bourbon she's ever had. People are so gullible. Kudos to people that can make some bucks selling to this guy. I will hold onto mine for me and friends consumption. It's too much of a pain in the ass to get. Besides you can't put a price on sharing good bourbon with other bourbon loving folks. I swear it tastes even better among friends.

MyOldKyDram
06-02-2013, 10:31
Everyone bring me all your empties and your Old Bardstown and let's get paid!

portwood
06-02-2013, 10:42
Bourbon is just another commodity like orange juice concentrate or pork bellies.
Uhhhhh, not it's not!
I know the laws as somewhat different in every country/state, but AFAIK anyone - including a kid with a lemonade stand - can sell orange juice on any street corner, alcohol, OTOH, requires a LICENCE!

suntour
06-02-2013, 10:50
http://thewashingtonfancy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/beanies.jpg

squire
06-02-2013, 10:55
Dram you'll want the labels dyed black of course.

WAINWRIGHT
06-02-2013, 12:15
It could be done. I snuck a flask of OWA into a bar one night and some nosy lady was asking me what was in it. I smiled and said pappy. She then immediately wanted to sample it. I let her sample it and then she declared it the best bourbon she's ever had. People are so gullible. Kudos to people that can make some bucks selling to this guy. I will hold onto mine for me and friends consumption. It's too much of a pain in the ass to get. Besides you can't put a price on sharing good bourbon with other bourbon loving folks. I swear it tastes even better among friends.Great story and oh so true,the power of persuasion is sometimes a funny thing.

squire
06-02-2013, 13:44
Funny and not too surprising.

393foureyedfox
06-02-2013, 13:47
Uhhhhh, not it's not!
alcohol, OTOH, requires a LICENCE!

alcohol is ETOH.....

chemistry nerd joke

Don_Draper
06-02-2013, 13:56
I have yet to have PVW. I thought about getting some at a bar the other night for $95 for two ounce pour for the 23 year but just couldnt do it. However, I am still curious. I am hoping I can find some at Bourbonfest in Sept.

squire
06-02-2013, 14:12
Hope you get your chance at a reasonable price Don and I hope you like it, most of what we pay for in Van Winkle whiskys now is the name.

George
06-02-2013, 14:12
A few days ago, Bonnie Bernstein (a US sportscaster, for those who may not be familiar) tweeted that she was searching for a bottle of Pappy for a gift. I thought that was interesting.

brettckeen
06-02-2013, 15:24
If you sell orange juice on the corner without a license to be selling things on the corner, you will get a fine. If this guy owns the liquor store then he can legally buy bourbon right? Its just the formality of who is selling to him if they have a license. But yeah I'll save pappy empties for anyone.

squire
06-02-2013, 15:43
A merchant licensed to sell liquor can only buy through sources approved by State law if the goods are to be resold.

Restaurant man
06-02-2013, 15:59
What a nice man! I've been looking all over for someone to buy my puppy. Damn thing just eats and pisses all over the house.

P&MLiquorsEric
06-02-2013, 16:42
I applaud his novel approach to practicing free market capitalism. Bourbon is just another commodity like orange juice concentrate or pork bellies. What is the current trading price of PVW15 anyway?

unsure on price of pappy15 in the early hours trading in the asian commodities market. someone quoted me a price of $400 on a 2002 saz18 on the facebook exchange site.

theglobalguy
06-02-2013, 17:06
unsure on price of pappy15 in the early hours trading in the asian commodities market. someone quoted me a price of $400 on a 2002 saz18 on the facebook exchange site.

That inflation is a pickle isn't it!

Phil T
06-02-2013, 17:07

If Lastbottle is correct in who this guy is, he lists Pappy 15 for $999, and Pappy 20 for almost $1200. If he actually gets those prices, good for him.

Trey Manthey
06-02-2013, 17:09
ibuypappytoo.com (http://ibuypappytoo.com)

This is starting to get nuts!

ebo
06-02-2013, 17:16
I've tasted it. It's good. So what? Lots of other bourbon out there that is also very good............. and available as well as affordable. I can't wait for the PVW craze to kill itself.

squire
06-02-2013, 17:20
The only way to slow it down is for BT to flood the market presuming they have a say in the matter.

Josh
06-02-2013, 17:30
I've tasted it. It's good. So what? Lots of other bourbon out there that is also very good............. and available as well as affordable. I can't wait for the PVW craze to kill itself. Agreed. Let's hope the Pappy Poseurs do that too.

Restaurant man
06-02-2013, 17:44
I've just registered ibuybourbonsupreme.com
heres hoping that is the next big thing :slappin:

whiskeyagonzo
06-02-2013, 18:15
The only way to slow it down is for BT to flood the market presuming they have a say in the matter.

I wish they would flood the market. That would be poetic justice to these idiots that are buying for a status symbol. Ebo is on to something though. It will kill itself out eventually. I just hope some other Bourbon doesn't become the new Pappy

MyOldKyDram
06-02-2013, 18:25
All bourbon is the new Pappy, or very nearly close enough.

smknjoe
06-02-2013, 18:27
^ What he said. Prices keep going up. $20 bottles are now $35...

Edit: spelling

whiskeyagonzo
06-02-2013, 19:02
It does seem that way. One of my LS has an EC18 for around 60 to 65. Can't remember exactly but it seems kinda high.

ebo
06-02-2013, 19:11
It does seem that way. One of my LS has an EC18 for around 60 to 65. Can't remember exactly but it seems kinda high.
it is high. EC is good bourbon, but the 18 isn't $60\$65 good.

mbroo5880i
06-02-2013, 19:37
If Lastbottle is correct in who this guy is, he lists Pappy 15 for $999, and Pappy 20 for almost $1200. If he actually gets those prices, good for him.
Yep, if people spend all of their money on a single bottle, it leaves more good stuff for us. Unless, a Sheik from Saudi Arabia buys it and the distillery, then we are all in trouble.

mbroo5880i
06-02-2013, 19:41
Of course, with BT rationing Weller and retailers telling customers that Weller is just as good as Pappy, another shortage is occurring. A bottle that cost $25 will be $50 by the end of the year. It is a vicious cycle.

Trey Manthey
06-02-2013, 19:52
Of course, with BT rationing Weller and retailers telling customers that Weller is just as good as Pappy, another shortage is occurring. A bottle that cost $25 will be $50 by the end of the year. It is a vicious cycle.

This scenario is not going to happen. I would estimate there is 20x as much Weller on the shelves as Pappy in a given year. Hopefully people will learn that Weller is pretty much the same thing as Pappy and get to try it out. Those people that taste and enjoy will perhaps become bourbon drinkers in the know and stop chasing after the over-hyped halo bottles. Those that taste and don't enjoy might just figure out that they don't like bourbon that much and it's not worth an arm and a leg. Everyone wins.

Old Dusty
06-02-2013, 20:16
This scenario is not going to happen. I would estimate there is 20x as much Weller on the shelves as Pappy in a given year. Hopefully people will learn that Weller is pretty much the same thing as Pappy and get to try it out. Those people that taste and enjoy will perhaps become bourbon drinkers in the know and stop chasing after the over-hyped halo bottles. Those that taste and don't enjoy might just figure out that they don't like bourbon that much and it's not worth an arm and a leg. Everyone wins.

Trey, from your keyboard to God's ear. Let's hope you are right.

Trey Manthey
06-02-2013, 20:24
Me too. Last prediction I made was that Stagg Jr. would be on the shelves in Mid-April...so take it with a grain of salt.

mosugoji64
06-02-2013, 23:04
There will always be another Pappy. We have the advantage in our community of being able to recognize a quality product without regard for its popularity.

wadewood
06-03-2013, 07:14
I filed a complaint with the New York State Liquor Authority; purchasing and reselling outside of NYC wholesalers is illegal.

squire
06-03-2013, 07:22
The trendy sorts will always be chasing something, we will adapt, we will prevail.

Lazer
06-03-2013, 07:50
I filed a complaint with the New York State Liquor Authority; purchasing and reselling outside of NYC wholesalers is illegal.

Good job. Some people just think they can buy anything they want with money. All those poor financial district customers will be grateful that they won't be getting ripped off.

smokinjoe
06-03-2013, 10:03
I've just registered ibuybourbonsupreme.com
heres hoping that is the next big thing :slappin:

Dammit Kevin! You beat me to it!!!! I guess I'll have to go with ibuystankyarse.com :lol:

mosugoji64
06-03-2013, 22:04
Dammit Kevin! You beat me to it!!!! I guess I'll have to go with ibuystankyarse.com :lol:

Let us know how that goes for ya, Joe! :lol:

MacinJosh
06-04-2013, 08:32
Anybody know if this guy is a member here? Seems likely he would be trying to obtain bottles from others here.

berto
06-04-2013, 10:53
May he step on a thousand legos.

SWC
06-05-2013, 14:38
There will always be another Pappy. We have the advantage in our community of being able to recognize a quality product without regard for its popularity.

Here here! This bubble, I think, is close to bursting.

deathevocation
06-08-2013, 06:55
Think I'll stick with ibuyevanblack.com

Rockefeller
06-14-2013, 11:49
They just advertised that they have it available through twitter: https://twitter.com/FiDiwine

Is there any way we can report the actual store so they lose their license? It seems to me a dangerous proposition for a liquor store to resell bottles they've obtained through general public.

smokinjoe
06-14-2013, 12:01
They just advertised that they have it available through twitter: https://twitter.com/FiDiwine

Is there any way we can report the actual store so they lose their license? It seems to me a dangerous proposition for a liquor store to resell bottles they've obtained through general public.

Wade is already on it. :lol:

Trey Manthey
06-14-2013, 12:06
To be fair, there is no implication that the owner of the domain, who happens to be the same person who owns the store, will resell bottles that he acquires. What might be of consequence is that an individual is engaging in the practice of illegally purchasing alcohol through a non-retail source. Whatever happens, it's the same old dead horse.

P&MLiquorsEric
06-15-2013, 13:35

Happens all the time and little is ever done. It is a victimless crime. How can you prove that the bottles of pappy for sale are not the same as the ones they received from an in state distributor. At least in KY, if you have a valid invoice showing you bought the product from a distributor (at some point), then all is good. They do not have the manpower to do a complete sales and invoice audit for every minor complaint. They take issues with products on shelves that are NOT distributed in the state.

sutton
06-17-2013, 08:34
Happens all the time and little is ever done. It is a victimless crime. How can you prove that the bottles of pappy for sale are not the same as the ones they received from an in state distributor. At least in KY, if you have a valid invoice showing you bought the product from a distributor (at some point), then all is good. They do not have the manpower to do a complete sales and invoice audit for every minor complaint. They take issues with products on shelves that are NOT distributed in the state.

For higher volume products that turn on a regular basis I can understand, but Pappy? You know, allocated 25, sold 60, would look pretty obvious that something was amiss ... ? Unless these are sales they aren't accounting for (fell off back of truck kind of stuff...)

P&MLiquorsEric
06-17-2013, 08:40
It is going to take more than a complaint to get anyone to do a full audit of sales/invoices. And POS systems are only as accurate as the person running them wants them to be.

mbroo5880i
06-17-2013, 09:30
They do have them listed on their website. The prices aren't too bad. I believe the 23 year is going for twice I paid for my first car. :lol:

Restaurant man
06-17-2013, 12:37
Someone will pay it. Because...

darylld911
06-17-2013, 17:21
Someone on FB BEX claimed that the guy was paying like $500 for 20 yr, which he was selling for twice as much. And to RM's point . . . someone will pay it (especially in NY).

ChainWhip
06-17-2013, 18:37
You guys realize there's actually a SB user named ibuypappy? In fact, that person is viewing this thread right now:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/member.php?10090-ibuypappy

ibuypappy
06-17-2013, 19:04
Hello StraightBourbon members. It is I, Ibuypappy . Although I first became a member on June 8th 2013 for some strange reason the moderator would not allow me to post until today even though I wrote him asking why I was not allowed to post on June 8th ,Interesting.... What does that say about him, only you can surmise.
Now I'd like to set some things straight especially with wadewood. It is LEGAL for anyone with a New York State Liquor license to buy wine or liquor from collectors as long as it is resold in New York and the buyer is made aware that he is buying a previously owned bottle. It is even legal to sell it outside of NY if you get permission from the locale where you are selling it to. I have a letter from the NYSLA stating that fact. Call them to ask if you care to. I would never risk my license by breaking any of the rules.
As far as the pricing goes, Let me say this, I have to buy these bottles from collectors in order to have them in stock. As you know you cannot find them anywhere else in the country on the shelves. I provide a service to my customers. Are they expensive? No more expensive than the bottles of 2010 Haut Brion I carry and these Pappys are much rarer. I take a significant risk buying these bottles at collectors inflated prices. If they do not sell then I am stuck with them. So I do not understand the vitriol on the Pappy pricing, if anyone is to blame it would be the bloggers and fans who told everyone how great it is. The clients who buy them are soooooo happy that they have a legitimate place to buy them. I will continue to make my customers happy. Let me also say that the collectors I buy from are also ridiculously happy, 3 of whom have participated in this thread. So if you are looking for someone to blame for high prices, look in the mirror and start pointing.
I'd like to thank those that wrote in support of me. I'm just providing a service which people can take or leave, its up to them.

ChainWhip
06-17-2013, 19:09
Let me also say that the collectors I buy from are also ridiculously happy, 3 of whom have participated in this thread. So if you are looking for someone to blame for high prices, look in the mirror and start pointing.

I gots no dawg in dis fight but there be sum truth in dat.

smknjoe
06-17-2013, 19:10
if you are looking for someone to blame for high prices, look in the mirror and start pointing.

Unfortunately, this is true. I'm not one of them though.

MyOldKyDram
06-17-2013, 19:12
I passed on plenty of Pappy, all age ranges, for MSRP just weeks ago. Guess that makes me a sucker. Beause if you can move this stuff at these ridiculous prices to these ridiculous customers then hey, oh well. More power to ya? Nah, here's hoping you get stuck with em, but lord knows that will never happen. Enjoy your short stay on the forum.

smknjoe
06-17-2013, 19:14
I passed on plenty of Pappy, all age ranges, for MSRP just weeks ago. Guess that makes me a sucker. Beause if you can move this stuff at these ridiculous prices to these ridiculous customers then hey, oh well. More power to ya? Nah, here's hoping you get stuck with em, but lord knows that will never happen. Enjoy your short stay on the forum.

Don't you feel good knowing that you have other options that are better and don't cost more than $30-$80 tops? I do.

Josh
06-17-2013, 19:16
A few thoughts: Comparing your prices to the ridiculously bloated prices of Bordeaux Premier Grand Cru isn't helping your cause. Neither is blaming the bloggers, collectors, and drinkers which amounts to just about everybody. Also, I'm not going to be pointing at myself in the mirror anytime soon because I don't pay those prices and I never will. Good luck with your business.

Josh
06-17-2013, 19:19

Don't you feel good knowing that you have other options that are better and don't cost more than $30-$80 tops? I do. Hear hear.:fish2::fish2::fish2:

DeanSheen
06-17-2013, 19:21
Well that's a nice loophole in the NY law. Did that come about a few years back when they passed that legislation pertaining to auctions of spirits in NY State?

Best of luck pappyphiles, enjoy the hype and the prices.

callmeox
06-17-2013, 19:31
Hello StraightBourbon members. It is I, Ibuypappy . Although I first became a member on June 8th 2013 for some strange reason the moderator would not allow me to post until today even though I wrote him asking why I was not allowed to post on June 8th ,Interesting.... What does that say about him, only you can surmise.

You may know the booze business, but we're pretty solid on the internet forum business here.

There was nothing nefarious about the delay between registration and activation of your posting privileges. All new members who join the forum are placed in a moderation queue so that we can weed out spammers, the occasional douchebag, and commercial interests who don't bother to read or follow the user agreement.

And as you can see, even that method isn't foolproof and one can slip through now and again.

I'd like to thank those that wrote in support of me. I'm just providing a service which people can take or leave, its up to them.

Take it or leave it is a great way to fly.

darylld911
06-17-2013, 19:33
I don't have any ill will for taking advantage of strange local laws, nor for gouging the idiots that would pay it. I've bought one bottle of PVW 20, and thought it was over-hyped at the retail price. With that kind of pricing though, the motive for fraud (not by you, but by folks who figure out how to make a refilled PVW bottle look convincing as "sealed") will grow.

MyOldKyDram
06-17-2013, 19:39
It's tempting, too!

Josh
06-17-2013, 19:49
It's tempting, too! Maybe it's time to revive the fake whiskey challenge.

squire
06-17-2013, 19:53
The real question is whether it's legal for them to sell and if not the purchaser is engaging in a conspiracy to commit a crime.

MacinJosh
06-17-2013, 20:00
Anybody know if this guy is a member here? Seems likely he would be trying to obtain bottles from others here.

Guess my question has now been answered. :rolleyes:

Balcones Winston
06-17-2013, 20:11
http://i.imgur.com/txAbSuL.jpg

P&MLiquorsEric
06-17-2013, 20:15
The real question is whether it's legal for them to sell and if not the purchaser is engaging in a conspiracy to commit a crime.

Ding ding ding. A number if states would definitely say the person selling to ibuypappy is breaking the law. The issue is enforcement and reporting. If both parties are happy, no victim exists. Victimless crimes are nearly impossible to enforce.

MyOldKyDram
06-17-2013, 20:16
Maybe he can hook you up with a new VWFRR, Winston. :P

mosugoji64
06-17-2013, 20:25
Wow. Props to you, dude, for having the balls to pop up here posting. If you've followed the forum for a while you couldn't possibly expect to get a lot of love around here. Still, I commend you for not lurking in the shadows. It's unfortunate that you chose that screen name as I'm sure it will haunt you, but I hope you'll stick around to contribute. I'm sure we'd all like to hear more from you, for better or worse. I mean that sincerely. We're a great group, but you have to know that you started at a significant disadvantage.

wadewood
06-17-2013, 20:36
Now I'd like to set some things straight especially with wadewood. It is LEGAL for anyone with a New York State Liquor license to buy wine or liquor from collectors as long as it is resold in New York and the buyer is made aware that he is buying a previously owned bottle. It is even legal to sell it outside of NY if you get permission from the locale where you are selling it to. I have a letter from the NYSLA stating that fact.

Then you should have no issue with me reporting you to the NYLA. As far as the NYLA giving you the authority to sell outside the state, what other states have given you the authority to do so? Also, you may be able to legally buy from a collector in New York, but anybody outside of New York is probably violating their state law by selling to you. Does your letter give you the right to purchase from those outside your state or only from those within it? You are new so probably can't post attachments yet, but PM copy of your letter and I'll post it here for all to see.

MacinJosh
06-17-2013, 20:43

Oh, that's just cold man. :)

Balcones Winston
06-17-2013, 21:50
Then you should have no issue with me reporting you to the NYLA. As far as the NYLA giving you the authority to sell outside the state, what other states have given you the authority to do so? Also, you may be able to legally buy from a collector in New York, but anybody outside of New York is probably violating their state law by selling to you. Does your letter give you the right to purchase from those outside your state or only from those within it? You are new so probably can't post attachments yet, but PM copy of your letter and I'll post it here for all to see.
A bar in NYC told me they were able to buy bottles from private collectors so long as it was marked so.

Balcones Winston
06-17-2013, 21:50
Can we form a KickStarter for it? I'm not paying that much ;)

DBM
06-17-2013, 22:57
I think most people would accept that acquiring and selling anything for a profit is simple business... The American dream. It's even fitting that we are talking about a classic American product. If anything, ibuypappy.com is riskier than a typical business model.What some don't like is that they (we) are being priced out of the market that was supported and appreciated before the hype. Also a position most people would understand.It's not so much right or wrong, just which side of the fence you want to hang out on.I enjoy picnics on both sides, depending on my mood.

Trey Manthey
06-17-2013, 23:53
...acquiring and selling anything for a profit is simple business... The American dream.

So that's what the American Dream is now?

HighInTheMtns
06-18-2013, 00:05
Thanks Trey. This was needed.

oke&coke
06-18-2013, 07:46
Wow. Props to you, dude, for having the balls to pop up here posting. If you've followed the forum for a while you couldn't possibly expect to get a lot of love around here. Still, I commend you for not lurking in the shadows. It's unfortunate that you chose that screen name as I'm sure it will haunt you, but I hope you'll stick around to contribute. I'm sure we'd all like to hear more from you, for better or worse. I mean that sincerely. We're a great group, but you have to know that you started at a significant disadvantage.
+1 on that. It shows courage to voice your position to an audience that is at best unsympathetic or hostile at worst. I personally don't have a problem with what you are doing if all parties go into it with both eyes open. Some will never be swayed no matter how true or convincing your argument is. I think the biggest reason for it is the possibility of fraud on your or another parties part.

Restaurant man
06-18-2013, 08:04
It's no better or worse than ticket scalping. Which is illegal most places. I hate scalpers! 15761

When the price creeps into the thousands, fake bottles will abound

Restaurant man
06-18-2013, 08:24
Anybody remember the idiots selling twinkles on eBay for two hundred a case? I didn't do it because I didn't want to get stuck with a case of twinkles. And to ibuypappy. Being that this site bans the commercial sales of alcohol, did you think that screen name was the best choice. Just sayin'

sku
06-18-2013, 09:01
Has anyone seen the ibuychickencock site? Crazy prices!

MyOldKyDram
06-18-2013, 09:12
That redirects me to Ibuypappy. Either way, be it paying these prices or buying the Cock, I guess you're getting the shaft.

HighHorse
06-18-2013, 09:12
To think that all this fuss is about Pappy Van Winkle. It only makes me appreciate all the more a bit of OGD114 on ice. I keep a bottle under the desk in my garage and (so far) no one has tried to buy it or steal it. And the empty bottle. It goes in the recycle bin.
Fuck Pappy.

Restaurant man
06-18-2013, 09:36
To think that all this fuss is about Pappy Van Winkle. It only makes me appreciate all the more a bit of OGD114 on ice. I keep a bottle under the desk in my garage and (so far) no one has tried to buy it or steal it. And the empty bottle. It goes in the recycle bin.
Fuck Pappy.

Hey, thats my pappy your talking about :lol:

squire
06-18-2013, 09:44
To think that all this fuss is about Pappy Van Winkle. It only makes me appreciate all the more a bit of OGD114 on ice. I keep a bottle under the desk in my garage

Just the one Jon?

Quantum
06-18-2013, 11:41
I just like that he has renamed the 10 and 12 on his website:
"Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year"
"Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle Reserve 12 Year"

Anyone want to buy a bottle of "Pappy Old Weller Antique" for $100? I have plenty in stock.

squire
06-18-2013, 12:19
Anyone want to buy a bottle of "Pappy Old Weller Antique" for $100? I have plenty in stock.

Hold on to those, they can only increase in value.

soad
06-18-2013, 12:27
I just like that he has renamed the 10 and 12 on his website:
"Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year"
"Pappy Old Rip Van Winkle Reserve 12 Year"

I just sent him an email, been on the lookout for Pappy Williams Black Label. Hope he comes through!!!

MyOldKyDram
06-18-2013, 12:39
Does he have any of the Unaged Pappy, many years asleep without any wood?

mosugoji64
06-18-2013, 12:43
Does he have any of the Unaged Pappy, many years asleep without any wood?

After many years, Pappy should expect a lack of wood.

whiskeyagonzo
06-18-2013, 12:52
After many years, Pappy should expect a lack of wood.

Maybe he should spike the bottles with Viagra to prevent this lack of wood problem.

DBM
06-18-2013, 12:53
Did it ever change?

HighInTheMtns
06-18-2013, 12:58
I don't think the American Dream necessarily involves buying and reselling things at a profit. Plenty of us make our living by producing things that have value. Plenty of us make our living by providing a service.

I especially don't think the American Dream is reselling overvalued luxury items on the black market.

HighHorse
06-18-2013, 13:17
A couple of points:
1 - Here you have a case where you have a willing seller and a willing buyer. What's all the fuss about? It's ok for me to sell ibuypappy.com Jose my gun, my knife, my flame thrower but heaven forbid I try to sell him a bottle of whiskey? Hell he can stop at any roadside lollapalooza store and buy 24" dildos. Don't tell me that ain't dangerous! It's illegal .. in the good ole USA .. because a bunch of politicians back in another century decided to ... well ... decided to what??
2 - ibuypappy.com Jose turns around and sells this stuff at unfrickinbelievable prices to the hedge fun operators of the NY Financial District and I'm supposed to frown on that? Heck .. if he refilled them with urine samples and sold them to those American-Dream-Selling-Blood-Suckers it wouldn't bother me. Those guys could care less what they pay for a bottle .. it's all about spreading around there ill-gotten ... anyway .. you get the picture.

You go, Jose! If you have some empties you want to sell those guys ... send them down my way. I'll pay for the shipping.

MyOldKyDram
06-18-2013, 13:34
Hell of a philosophy ya got there .

darylld911
06-18-2013, 15:56
This thread has become my "I need a good laugh after work, what can I read?" solution :lol:

Josh
06-18-2013, 17:49
ibuypappy claimed that some of the posters in this thread have had dealings with him. I'd like to hear from some of them regarding what the experience was like. Do they feel like they got a good price and everything went smoothly? Any problems?

MyOldKyDram
06-18-2013, 18:01
$450 for my bottle of Old Bardstown, no probs.

timd
06-18-2013, 19:02
ibuypappy claimed that some of the posters in this thread have had dealings with him. I'd like to hear from some of them regarding what the experience was like. Do they feel like they got a good price and everything went smoothly? Any problems?

Don't know anybody who has sold to him, but send him an email - he responds promptly with what he'll pay and offers references. I sent him an email early on to see what he was buying and selling for (he said he didn't by VWFRR because "nobody wanted it" - which tells you who his clientele are: braindead idjuts, or just plain old douchebags. Who the $&%&$# doesn't LUST after VWFRR?).

I don't blame anybody cashing in - it's tempting. I don't blame ibuypappy guy either - but why can't there be an "I sell Bowman Rye" or "Get your ND OGD114 Here" site? THEN I'd be interested...

There's vastly superior pours that come far cheaper. (said while finishing a pour of OGD114 & refilling with some 4R single barrel with a sigh of contentment).

This is just a result of the trendy, hipster bourbon phase the country is in - same bastards are buying Miss Me jeans for their kids and shop at A&F between visits to the Genius Bar.

(OH SNAP: What if the Genius Bar served Pappy? Hipster explosion!!!)

Thankfully, with hipsters, shit like this comes & goes fast. Eager to get them out of the picture and not have to wrestle with these poseurs for my VWFRR each fall... Although I doubt the price will drop at any point...

wadewood
06-18-2013, 20:11
Don't know anybody who has sold to him, but send him an email - he responds promptly with what he'll pay and offers references. I sent him an email early on to see what he was buying and selling for (he said he didn't by VWFRR because "nobody wanted it" - which tells you who his clientele are: braindead idjuts, or just plain old douchebags. Who the $&%&$# doesn't LUST after VWFRR?).

I don't blame anybody cashing in - it's tempting. I don't blame ibuypappy guy either - but why can't there be an "I sell Bowman Rye" or "Get your ND OGD114 Here" site? THEN I'd be interested...

There's vastly superior pours that come far cheaper. (said while finishing a pour of OGD114 & refilling with some 4R single barrel with a sigh of contentment).

This is just a result of the trendy, hipster bourbon phase the country is in - same bastards are buying Miss Me jeans for their kids and shop at A&F between visits to the Genius Bar.

Thankfully, with hipsters, shit like this comes & goes fast. Eager to get them out of the picture and not have to wrestle with these poseurs for my VWFRR each fall... Although I doubt the price will drop at any point...

Classic post! Tim, glad to say that you are my friend; keep drinking that OGD.

Halifax
06-18-2013, 20:47

11 pages... Best damn post in the thread. Cheers!

ISU_grad
06-18-2013, 21:02

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself. Thankfully trends like this come and go and once they do, I'll be around to enjoy it douche free.

Restaurant man
06-18-2013, 22:28
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself. Thankfully trends like this come and go and once they do, I'll be around to enjoy it douche free.

"In the immortal words of the reverend king, can't we all just get along?"

HighHorse
06-19-2013, 06:39
Ahem .. Rodney said it .. But only after they beat him senseless, which kinda is what 's happening here.

timd
06-19-2013, 08:08
Classic post! Tim, glad to say that you are my friend; keep drinking that OGD.

You are special to me, too, Wade. :cool:

11 pages... Best damn post in the thread. Cheers!

Thank you Rod! Thank you very much.

matthewdc
06-19-2013, 08:59
I sent him an email early on to see what he was buying and selling for (he said he didn't by VWFRR because "nobody wanted it" - which tells you who his clientele are: braindead idjuts, or just plain old douchebags. Who the $&%&$# doesn't LUST after VWFRR?).

You may have spoke to soon. He now has on the site that he will buy your rye. Ugh!

timd
06-19-2013, 09:15
You may have spoke to soon. He now has on the site that he will buy your rye. Ugh!

Yeah, it said that before, and also didn't list Pappy 15 (still doesn't... but again, somebody told me he "has too much" so not buying it for now)

When I emailed him to ask about it, he said "Yes I buy the 15 year, I don't buy the rye for some reason noone likes it."

Whatevs... I wonder if he can package his whiskey in "craftily" shaped PBR cans for wrapping, and then deliver on a Vespa while wearing Toms (and document the entire process on Vine) - and then charge even more?

smknjoe
06-19-2013, 11:40
The owner said that he had to disclose that the bottles were previously owned or "used", but I see no indication of that on the site. I seriously doubt he's going to willing tell the customer "hey, I bought that from an unknown source" after they plop down 10x retail.

He also has Old Rip Van Winkle and Lot B inaccurately labeled as Pappy.

MyOldKyDram
06-19-2013, 11:44
I'm just glad he doesn't buy VWFRR. Everything else be damned.

whiskeyagonzo
06-19-2013, 15:43
I'm just glad he doesn't buy VWFRR. Everything else be damned.

Cosign that. I would take the VWFRR over any other pappy expressions.

Old Dusty
06-19-2013, 18:12
"StraightBourbon calling, now don't look to us, phony Pappymania has bitten the dust" - The Clash (paraphrased)

Josh
06-19-2013, 18:52
"StraightBourbon calling, now don't look to us, phony Pappymania has bitten the dust" - The Clash (paraphrased)I love it.:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Lazer
06-19-2013, 19:44
This Pappy thread makes me want to take a Nappy! :rolleyes:

DeanSheen
06-19-2013, 20:08
This thread has inspired me. I have just registered IbuyBinnysWeller12.com :bowdown:

mosugoji64
06-20-2013, 00:02
This thread has inspired me. I have just registered IbuyBinnysWeller12.com :bowdown:

Crap! You beat me to it!

Kalessin
06-21-2013, 11:50
Any love for IBuyFourRosesSmallBatchLimitedEdition2012.com? Too famous?

Maybe I'll just stick with IBuyFourRosesMariage2009.com

jbutler
06-22-2013, 08:06
Don't conceit such a high opinion of yourself. Until I started reading this thread 5 minutes ago, you were just another person who wanted an account but didn't bother to read the registration rules. "The moderator" wouldn't approve your account because you used a gmail address despite the fact that the registration page says we won't accept that and won't help you if you insist on using it. Did you notice that once you used an address that matched your IP your account got approved? An amazing coincidence that.

You have received an enormous amount of free publicity out of this bizarre thread and in my opinion you should be thankful. I have no problem with you defending yourself, but if you are rude to me or my staff again you're done here.

LostBottle
06-23-2013, 18:00
After I enjoy a glass of Burgundy I got from some guy named Rudy Kurniawan, I like to pound a shot of Pappy 23 from the bottle that was procured from some anonymous person on the internet.

T Comp
06-23-2013, 18:32
After I enjoy a glass of Burgundy I got from some guy named Rudy Kurniawan, I like to pound a shot of Pappy 23 from the bottle that was procured from some anonymous person on the internet.

He still hasn't pled out and his court date is pending http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/48291 (http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/48291)

And for those who don't and want to know more about his incredible high end wine scam The New York magazine piece Chateau Sucker is a great read too http://nymag.com/news/features/rudy-...-fraud-2012-5/ (http://nymag.com/news/features/rudy-kurniawan-wine-fraud-2012-5/)

qman22
06-23-2013, 19:59
He still hasn't pled out and his court date is pending http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/48291 (http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/48291)

And for those who don't and want to know more about his incredible high end wine scam The New York magazine piece Chateau Sucker is a great read too http://nymag.com/news/features/rudy-...-fraud-2012-5/ (http://nymag.com/news/features/rudy-kurniawan-wine-fraud-2012-5/)

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

Restaurant man
06-23-2013, 20:18
Ibuypissfilledpappybottles.com is now registered in anticipation of the "new market"

squire
06-23-2013, 21:52
Wow, talk about a willing suspension of belief.

HighHorse
06-24-2013, 20:52
Attaboy, restaurantman , Wall Street wampum .. Hedge fund holy water!

nd2005
06-25-2013, 15:52

I think Rudy would have loved the bourbon biz. He wouldn't have even had to forge stuff. Just buy as many old barrels as possible irrespective of quality and slap a fancy but vague label on them and jack the price through the roof...

squire
06-25-2013, 17:55
With a colorful story about his family's many generations of distilling experience using a special water found only in a local ditch.

mbroo5880i
06-25-2013, 18:10
Don't forget that the label needs to have a picture of some unknown old man with a beard who can be affectionately referred to as pap, pappy, grand pappy, paw, uncle or grand dad.

Are there any old granny whiskeys?

squire
06-25-2013, 19:40
Sure . . . didn't you watch "The Beverly Hillbillies"?