PDA

View Full Version : Rock Hill Farms

smknjoe
06-04-2013, 09:49
I cracked open my first bottle of RHF last night and I'm not sure what to think about it. It has a "pine tree" nose and the taste is cinnamon predominant. After sitting for a while it changes and gets a little sweeter on the nose and tounge. I love ETL and expected this to be a bolder version, but I don't get much similarity between the two. I've attached some pics of the bottle and cork. That stain on the mouth of the bottle was there when I opened it. Do you think I possibly got an "off" bottle, or do I need to give it few more trys before I pass judgement? Note: when I opened it some small pieces of cork fell in the bottle. I've had this happen with bottles in the past and just left them in there since it didn't bother me. Would that affect the flavor much?

Brisko
06-04-2013, 10:12
I've only had one bottle each of RHF and ETL but I don't disagree with your assessment. RHF, while not bad, seemed very subtle, almost muted, compared to ETL, which I like much better. I do note some family resemblance between the two, but the differences are more prominent than the similarities. The only flavor that really stood out with RHF was some green apple hints.

Not sure about the cork issues but the lower 1/3 of my RHF cork broke off last week (using the bottle as a decanter for other things). Seemed clean, though.

michang5
06-04-2013, 11:16
I found my bottle of RHF to be a more subtly nuanced version of my ETL bottle. Definite family resemblance, but the RHF had a bit more complexity and balance. And it had a much better and longer finish than the Elmer. Enjoyment of the ETL seemed to drop precipitously when entering the finish.

I had a blind test of my RHF (down to a few ounces alas) against 4R Limited Edition Single Barrel 2012 last night. Very different bourbons, but I think I preferred the RHF -- even more at $30 less.

And my cork didn't look anything like that. Doesn't look healthy.

bllygthrd
06-04-2013, 19:19
Damn ... I'm more impressed with the $39.99 price tag ... goes for $52 in my area ... BTW, my RHF cork looks white and dense ... looked very fresh and new ...

smknjoe
06-04-2013, 19:25
That's why I grabbed it. I don't think it's normal for the whiskey to leak out and leave a stain on the bottle either... It was the last they had. I'll see if I can get them to give me store credit. :rolleyes:

compliance
06-04-2013, 19:59
Speaking of RHF, the K&L email today mentioned that might also be affected by the shortages. No big deal since Blantons is usually around and I don't think anyone is making RHF their daily pour.

"In any case, now that the Weller 12 is gone for a while, I expect the Rock Hill Farms label from Buffalo Trace to vanish with it. The CA distributor has no ETA right now for more, so add that one to the list of short-term absences."

smknjoe
06-04-2013, 20:12
Come down to Houston. There are hundreds of bottles (if not more) of W12 all over the place. The only thing that I ever see sold out are ryes.

HighHorse
06-04-2013, 21:16
I cracked open my first bottle of RHF last night and I'm not sure what to think about it. It has a "pine tree" nose and the taste is cinnamon predominant. After sitting for a while it changes and gets a little sweeter on the nose and tounge. I love ETL and expected this to be a bolder version, but I don't get much similarity between the two. I've attached some pics of the bottle and cork. That stain on the mouth of the bottle was there when I opened it. Do you think I possibly got an "off" bottle, or do I need to give it few more trys before I pass judgement? Note: when I opened it some small pieces of cork fell in the bottle. I've had this happen with bottles in the past and just left them in there since it didn't bother me. Would that affect the flavor much?

I would definately give it another try. It is very good stuff and the cork/top issue is suspect. I'd also sent the pics to the distillery via the web site and tell them your situation. Chances are you'll get a replacement .. even if you take it back to the retailer.

It's around $50 everywhere I've seen it.

Flyfish
06-05-2013, 11:11
"In any case, now that the Weller 12 is gone for a while, I expect the Rock Hill Farms label from Buffalo Trace to vanish with it. The CA distributor has no ETA right now for more, so add that one to the list of short-term absences."
Explain, please. What is the connection between W12 (a wheater) and the availability of RHF (a rye bourbon)?

smknjoe
06-05-2013, 12:45
I would definately give it another try. It is very good stuff and the cork/top issue is suspect. I'd also sent the pics to the distillery via the web site and tell them your situation. Chances are you'll get a replacement .. even if you take it back to the retailer.

They reluctantly gave me a bottle of Blanton's to replace it. And a few blocks away I picked up another bottle of RHF for $41 :) It's usually $54+ Let's hope this one is okay as it had obviously been sitting for a while as well.

I'll send pics of the other bottle to BT if you think it's still worth it.

HighHorse
06-05-2013, 12:51
Not if you got the Blanton's .. Just my thinking. Post your thoughts on the new one you picked up. Hope you like it after all this effort.

smknjoe
06-05-2013, 12:55
Jon, I'd be surprised if I didn't. I'll post some brief notes when I open it - soon.

sailor22
06-05-2013, 14:15

Sent a top that looked like that back to BT and they refunded me the $ for the bottle. Call a customer service rep first and find out where and to whom to send.

nblair
06-05-2013, 18:29
I have never seen a Rock Hill cork with a hole in the center. I would suspect that is quite a few years old.

smknjoe
06-05-2013, 20:19
The one I replaced it with today has one too. The cork doesn't look that great either but better than the last. I haven't tasted it yet.

squire
06-06-2013, 05:57
I wouldn't be surprised if these bottles have sat on the shelves for awhile, the brand doesn't move very fast around here.

michang5
06-06-2013, 06:17
Holler if you would like a picture to compare against.

My 3-month-old bottle of RHF (no flaws that I can see or taste) has about 1-2 pours left.

jeffrey r
06-06-2013, 07:26
I wouldn't be surprised if these bottles have sat on the shelves for awhile, the brand doesn't move very fast around here.

Agreed. Priced like Blantons, often sitting right next to Blantons, except that people know Blantons. Doesn't bode well for RHF.

squire
06-06-2013, 07:52
I prefer the Rock Hill Farms over Blantons but it's not well known enough to sell. In fact there are two local stores that have had bottles of RHF sitting in the same spot on the shelf for several years now while the Blantons next to them sell regularly at a higher price.

smknjoe
06-06-2013, 09:37
The Blanton's they replaced it with is dated 11-12 and was $10 more. I'll taste this "new" bottle of RHF tonight. I don't see any signs of leakage this time but the cork is still rough looking.

Bmac
06-07-2013, 00:32
I am curious to see the notes. Most of the reviews I have read suggest that Blantons and RHF are identical in flavor profile. With the exception of a particular RHF that was hand selected by someone (can't remember the name off hand) but supposedly it's incredible.

squire
06-07-2013, 03:36
I beg to differ with that assessment. In our blind tastings the profiles have always been separate and distinct with Blantons being the softer, sweeter one and the RHF being the dryer, spicier one punctuated with it's slightly higher alcohol content.

smknjoe
06-07-2013, 08:19
Here are picks of the "new" bottle. At least this one looks like it hasn't leaked any. I'll get around to tasting it this weekend.

squire
06-07-2013, 08:55
Let us know how it tastes.

mbroo5880i
06-08-2013, 19:03
They reluctantly gave me a bottle of Blanton's to replace it. And a few blocks away I picked up another bottle of RHF for $41 :) It's usually $54+ Let's hope this one is okay as it had obviously been sitting for a while as well.

I'll send pics of the other bottle to BT if you think it's still worth it.

So, essentially, you got a bottle of Blanton's for $39.99 and then was still able to find another bottle of RHF for $41. I just saw RHF for $59.99 at one of the big liquor stores in Indy. You did quite well. I hope you enjoy both!

JLH3
06-08-2013, 20:01
Not to derail things further, but how does Hancock's compare to Blanton's and RH? I like Blanton's and have never seen RH.

black mamba
06-08-2013, 22:18
I'm with squire-- Blanton's and RHF are very different, with RHF being bolder and more complex. I've tried the two over a 5 yr period and at least 3-4 different bottles of each, and the differences are consistent. Sometimes it's hard to believe they are the same mashbill.

Hancock's is more similar to ETL than either Blanton's or RHF. Soft brown sugar and citrus, most specifically orange, with the Hancock's, while RHF sometimes gives a banana hint in the finish.

WAINWRIGHT
06-09-2013, 06:01
I'm with squire-- Blanton's and RHF are very different, with RHF being bolder and more complex. I've tried the two over a 5 yr period and at least 3-4 different bottles of each, and the differences are consistent. Sometimes it's hard to believe they are the same mashbill.

Hancock's is more similar to ETL than either Blanton's or RHF. Soft brown sugar and citrus, most specifically orange, with the Hancock's, while RHF sometimes gives a banana hint in the finish.This a pretty good overview,I could really only add that the Hancock's is probably the fruitiest bourbon you will ever try,almost an oddity within the group for this very reason.Blanton's is more muted and almost a bit earthy to me and I see more of a similarity to BT than RHF's.The RHF's to me is the hands down winner of the group in profile,loads of green apple,cinnamon,spice and really seems to be the most crisp and well integrated of the group by a mile.The only downfall is that in the past I have seen some inconsistency in the RHF's and that they have been overly grassy similar to what many complain about in other BT products,but that has been few and far between.

brettckeen
06-09-2013, 08:53
Speaking of RHF, the K&L email today mentioned that might also be affected by the shortages. No big deal since Blantons is usually around and I don't think anyone is making RHF their daily pour.

There is some weird trend in LA for RHF, I have met a couple high end bartenders from out there that think it's the bees knees. I think it's good in a sea of other good products.

squire
06-09-2013, 09:06
Hancocks is simply the less talented sibling in the family. Similar to Blantons and Rock Hill it is weaker (proof, flavor) while at the same time conveying a complex suppleness that identifies it as above average. For a period of years I used Hancocks as a Bourbon introduction to Scotch drinkers.

JLH3
06-09-2013, 10:08
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a shot next time I see it.

smknjoe
06-09-2013, 10:34
So, essentially, you got a bottle of Blanton's for $39.99 and then was still able to find another bottle of RHF for $41. I just saw RHF for $59.99 at one of the big liquor stores in Indy. You did quite well. I hope you enjoy both!

Yep.

I've had a few small pours out of this and it smells and tastes very grassy. This is the first time I've had these indicators in a BT whiskey. I've been too busy spending time with some dusty pours to really sit down and get to know this bottle. Chunks of cork keep falling in the bottle. Coffee filter or cheese cloth?

OscarV
06-09-2013, 10:36
Yep.

I've had a few small pours out of this and it smells and tastes very grassy.

BT strikes again.

smknjoe
06-09-2013, 10:37
BT strikes again.

I'm trying to be positive about it, but it's really pretty foul.

Nice sig Oscar.

OscarV
06-09-2013, 10:48
I'm trying to be positive about it, but it's really pretty foul.

Between BT's grass and Woodford's metal we can at least cross two off the list.

fishnbowljoe
06-09-2013, 11:28
I have never seen a Rock Hill cork with a hole in the center. I would suspect that is quite a few years old.

I agree that it may be a few years older. In the past, I saw a couple of RHF's with the weird top that the bourbon will go into when it's turned upside down. I passed on those. Take a look at the horse on the bottle. IIRC, earlier bottlings had a different horse(s) on it, or it was in a different place. I also think the etchings on the bottles were different, and quite possibly the neck bands were too.

smknjoe
06-09-2013, 11:46
I agree that it may be a few years older. In the past, I saw a couple of RHF's with the weird top that the bourbon will go into when it's turned upside down. I passed on those.

That's the top both of these had. There is a wide glass mouth on the bottle and the top. Where the two glass flanges or "mouths" meet is where they are shrink wrapped together. You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures. I can also see where whiskey has dried in the hollow glass top. I'm chalking these funky bottles up to flukes. I'm tapped out on my booze budget and will have to try this again in the future. Every other BT bourbon I've had has been very good (BT, ETL, BTACs, Wellers, etc,)

Edit: it also said Bottled in Bond on the box.

squire
06-09-2013, 11:46
Yeah, it used to have the metal thingy around the neck, heck, it used to be labeled "Bottled in Bond", but I still refuse to pay the extra $20 or so just for the bottle.

bllygthrd
06-09-2013, 17:56
I still refuse to pay the extra $20 or so just for the bottle.
Damn ... now I feel like a bottle whore ... :)

JLH3
06-29-2013, 16:49
Hancock's is more similar to ETL than either Blanton's or RHF. Soft brown sugar and citrus, most specifically orange, with the Hancock's, while RHF sometimes gives a banana hint in the finish.

Bought a bottle and have to say this review is pretty spot-on. I like it, not sure if I like it enough to buy another, but am glad I tried it.

squire
06-29-2013, 19:12
Hancocks is the quiet sister that plays the piano well, just sort of there in the background.

jburlowski
07-03-2013, 14:08
Even in today's market, way too much to pay for seven year old whiskey.

Kalessin
07-03-2013, 21:08
On the other hand, I've been working on a store selection of RHF (from Julio's in MA) for almost a year, and it's been very, very good. Even better was that it was bought on sale for about $30...