PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quick answer.....

Painkiller
06-09-2013, 10:02
I found a bottle of GTS @ 142.5 proof. First time I've ever actually seen one in person. I live in S SL, and nothing like this EVER makes it down here. An amazing find for me. Here's the rub: the store wants $110 for it. I see online it retails for $80, so the price is obviously quite high. I will probably never see one again down here. What to do? I am leaving here to go home in a few hours which is why I am looking for some quick advice. By the way, they also have a 10y ORVW that they were willing to sell as a package "deal" for $180. Yet another juice to never see these parts. I'm bummed. Many thanks to anyone's help!

smknjoe
06-09-2013, 10:08
It depends how much you want it. Stagg goes for $150 in small stores around here and I won't touch them at that price. ORVW retails for $35-$45 and I love it, but I won't pay more than $45 for it. It's just an older version of OWA.

squire
06-09-2013, 10:09
If you want it buy it. I will waste far more money on average food while traveling than I'll regret having overpaid for a whisky I would not have otherwise been able to obtain.

compliance
06-09-2013, 10:11
Get the Stagg. If that's going to be your only foreseeable opportunity do it. The markup isn't that bad. There's only one place that sells it for less than $90 around me. Pass the ORVW 10 if it's over $45.

Painkiller
06-09-2013, 10:20
Wow!! Thanks all!! Looks like I'm gonna' have a "Stagg" party !!

(See what I did there???)

A toast to all of your help

darylld911
06-09-2013, 10:38
I'd definitely pick up the Stagg, but they seem to be awfully proud of the ORVW 10 (which I also really like, but not at that price).

squire
06-09-2013, 10:55
In the 1950s when Old Stagg was a popular brand their print ads showed a stagg in evening dress hosting a party which image was copied by the editor of a newly found magazine named Playboy.

Painkiller
06-09-2013, 11:49
Squire, you are a man of infinite wisdom.....

Still having a Stagg party, sans the dress. ( Although, I drink enuff of the stuff.....?)

squire
06-09-2013, 13:04
For members of younger generations evening dress for gentlemen a half century ago meant formal attire, usually black bow tie and a tuxedo with shawl lapels.

darylld911
06-09-2013, 15:18
For members of younger generations evening dress for gentlemen a half century ago meant formal attire, usually black bow tie and a tuxedo with shawl lapels.

You may also have to explain what Playboy is for the real youngins who grew up with the internet :lol:

Richnimrod
06-09-2013, 15:25
Stagg is one thing everybody should have at least one chance to own/sample from one's own bottle. Even the more ordinary years were still 'extraordinary', and for only $10 over retail; buy it and enjoy! :rolleyes:
A person only goes around once, and it seems you're in an area that Stagg is very hard to come by so DO IT!!!! :cool:
You won't regret it; I guarantee it!!!!

Special Reserve
06-09-2013, 15:31
1. Go you want it?
2. Can you afford I?

If yes/yes then hurry on and get it.

Try a package deal at $150.

Painkiller
06-09-2013, 18:06
I bought it and shall crack it open on Sunday, Father's Day. Thanks again everyone!

bllygthrd
06-09-2013, 18:50
Painkiller ...
Enjoy, you opening it in celebration of Father's Day makes it better! I opened my last bottles of GTS on my daughter's wedding day ... unfortunately, the guests found it :) ... 50 people attended and they polished off 2 bottles of GTS, 2 bottles of RHF and assorted bottles (many) of wine and cases of Three Philosophers. In the end ... well worth it!

theglobalguy
06-09-2013, 19:59
I bought it and shall crack it open on Sunday, Father's Day. Thanks again everyone!

Great purchase. Watch the proof! I remember pouring a small sample last Fall when i managed to find a bottle. Took a sniff and just about melted my nose hairs off. Fantastic if you take it really slow though.

tigerlam92
06-09-2013, 20:20
Good one to purchase and try. Mark up, like everyone said, is not crazy.

A bit about how to drink it for the first time. Make sure to take small sip if neat. Then try a splash of water then ice to figure out how you like it best.

Small sip at first. ;)

Cheers
Hugh

BigBoldBully
06-09-2013, 22:51
Painkiller ...
Enjoy, you opening it in celebration of Father's Day makes it better! I opened my last bottles of GTS on my daughter's wedding day ... unfortunately, the guests found it :) ... 50 people attended and they polished off 2 bottles of GTS, 2 bottles of RHF and assorted bottles (many) of wine and cases of Three Philosophers. In the end ... well worth it! This is why a man needs to pay far more attention than I did to the selection of a father-in-law!

BigBoldBully
06-09-2013, 22:54
Oh yeah, and remember not to drink it around an open flame, or during a thunderstorm, or while shuffling across a carpeted floor.

bontrager
06-13-2013, 17:36
If you want it buy it. I will waste far more money on average food while traveling than I'll regret having overpaid for a whisky I would not have otherwise been able to obtain.
Agreed. I've paid $130 for Stagg with no regrets. It's hard to find, and I'd buy it all day at that price. Think of it this way - you're almost getting 2 bottles of booze in 1.

squire
06-13-2013, 19:28
That too, Stagg is like an overproof rum where smaller portions stretch out the supply.

Colonel Duke
06-13-2013, 19:51
Good on ya! You'll have to check back in and let us know what you think of it.

JLH3
06-14-2013, 00:45
With any luck you'll love it, find more bottles in the future and be in a position to afford whatever they may cost if you choose. But, if not, you'll be glad you tried a bottle of it once.

I've had every one of the BTAC's except for the ER17. The Stagg and Saz I'd buy again, the WLW I might and the THH I pass up regularly (one place I go has a bottle). And except for the THH, I haven't seen any of the others since I bought the ones I found. But at least I have had a chance to try them.

Painkiller
06-15-2013, 20:51
Father's Day draws nearer........
I wonder how this will pair with a nice Cuban Behike cigar?? Soon to find out.

Can't wait to celebrate with all you dads on here ( and everyone else )!

Ohhh, the anticipation

smknjoe
06-15-2013, 20:53
Enjoy yourself. That is one whiskey that does live up to it's reputation.