PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Manhattan Combination?

EagleRiver
07-31-2013, 09:13
Wainwright got me hooked on Manhattan's, so now I'm curious what peoples perfect version consists of. Right now I'm experimenting with different vermouths using Dickel Rye as the Base whiskey and Peychauds for the bitters using a 2 part rye to 1 part Vermouth ratio.

I did M&R and Cinzana side by side last night and thought they were really close, I had trouble naming a favorite of the two but probably leaning toward Cinzano. I have Noilly Pratt and Cocchi on deck next.

TunnelTiger
07-31-2013, 09:37
I enjoy the GDR for Manhattan's but I use a 3 to 1 ratio

tanstaafl2
07-31-2013, 09:58

Saying "Perfect" Manhattan tends to bring up the notion of using half red and half white vermouth along with the rye or other spirit. This is an ongoing theme on some cocktail boards.

A recipe from Chris Amrault on another board in his pursuit of the "perfect" Manhattan.

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Dolin dry
dash Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters
dash half-n-half orange bitters (half Regan's, half Fee's)

I haven't tried it yet and I tend to be a bit of a purist snob, preferring rye in a Manhattan, but it sounds tasty!

Also suggested on that site are the following (the Whisper is a favorite);

Whisper
1 oz Handy Rye (you need less with an overproof spirit)
1 oz Dolin Dry
1 oz Carpano Antica

Not part of the original recipe but I tend to add a smidge of bitters, whether it be Orange, Angostura, Fee Whiskey Barrel aged or Bookers bitters. To each his own!

A couple of suggestions that use a similar formula but drift a bit from the traditional.

Affinity: 1 oz The Macallan Cask, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Carpano Vermouth, 1 dash angostura. Lemon Twist.

Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.

EagleRiver
07-31-2013, 10:11
I went to 2 to 1 to get a better feel for the different vermouths.

EagleRiver
07-31-2013, 10:13
Saying "Perfect" Manhattan tends to bring up the notion of using half red and half white vermouth along with the rye or other spirit. This is an ongoing theme on some cocktail boards.

A recipe from Chris Amrault on another board in his pursuit of the "perfect" Manhattan.

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1/2 oz Dolin dry
dash Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters
dash half-n-half orange bitters (half Regan's, half Fee's)

I haven't tried it yet and I tend to be a bit of a purist snob, preferring rye in a Manhattan, but it sounds tasty!

Also suggested on that site are the following (the Whisper is a favorite);

Whisper
1 oz Handy Rye (you need less with an overproof spirit)
1 oz Dolin Dry
1 oz Carpano Antica

Not part of the original recipe but I tend to add a smidge of bitters, whether it be Orange, Angostura, Fee Whiskey Barrel aged or Bookers bitters. To each his own!

A couple of suggestions that use a similar formula but drift a bit from the traditional.

Affinity: 1 oz The Macallan Cask, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Carpano Vermouth, 1 dash angostura. Lemon Twist.

Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.

Looks like some fun recipes I will have to try them out.

mbroo5880i
07-31-2013, 12:27
I prefer higher rye bourbon in a Manhattan. You can look at the cocktail threads and probably find some good recipes.

I usually just mix whatever bourbon (typically a lower end or less desirable choice neat) 2:1 or 3:1 with sweet vermouth (Martini) and bitters (Angostura). I sometimes add a Marischino cherry. I shake it rather than stir.

WAINWRIGHT
07-31-2013, 12:30
Bruce is kind of the cocktail king,I'm sure if he threw those out there every damn one of them is going to be pretty stellar.

Wryguy
07-31-2013, 12:39
Perfect: equal parts sweet and dry vermouth

Half-Perfect: 3:1 sweet to dry vermouth

Try to get some Vya too. Stuff is pricey but tasty.

My perfect manhattan, served to me a couple weeks ago at the bar by my good buddy: 4:1:1 BMH16, Punt y Mes, Dolin Blanc. Fee's rhubarb bitters on the stir, fee's whiskey barrel bitters on the chilled glass, garnished with a luxardo cherry. Mind blown.

TunnelTiger
07-31-2013, 12:45
I'm going to try that equal part thing tonight, well except the rye won't be equal

EagleRiver
07-31-2013, 15:50
Ya I didn't mean perfect as in the half and half vermouth unless that is your favorite, I should have titled it favorite recipe, as I'm sure many of you have played around with different combination trying to come up with one that is extra special.

I'm sure everyone has a favorite go to recipe they like. I'm drinking Buffalo Trace 3 parts, 1 part M&R, 3 dashes of Angostura right now just to try a different recipe, its a solid mix, but the sweetness is a bit high.

I have some Carpano Antica coming Friday, so I'm saving the Cocchi and Noilly for the weekend so I can try all three against each other once.

tanstaafl2
07-31-2013, 17:29
Looks like some fun recipes I will have to try them out.

I went back and checked and the Ashtray Heart recipe also has the expressed oil from a grapefruit twist (which is then discarded). I don't always have grapefruit handy so I sometimes skip this step.

The Ashtray Heart is a favorite from the Beta Cocktail book but you have to like your cocktail on the smokey, dry side!

The name says it all...

tanstaafl2
07-31-2013, 17:36
Bruce is kind of the cocktail king,I'm sure if he threw those out there every damn one of them is going to be pretty stellar.

I confess I don't always get into scotch cocktails but if you like scotch the Affinity is worth a shot! But Macallan Cask Strength, like most whisky, continues to creep up making this a pretty spendy cocktail. Not sure how other whisky might fit as the Macallan CS is the suggested spirit.

Of course the Whisper is pretty pricey too but that one is damned good!

c.dono
07-31-2013, 17:48
This is how I have been making my Manhattans lately, and they are sooooooo good.
1dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters
2oz Rittenhouse BIB
1oz Carpano Antica Formula

Pretty Simple and not too crazy!

EagleRiver
08-02-2013, 12:17
This is how I have been making my Manhattans lately, and they are sooooooo good.
1dash Angostura Bitters
2oz Rittenhouse BIB

I have everything on your list on hand, so i might give it a try over the weekend, looks like a nice list.

Nillion
08-02-2013, 12:33
My go to Manhattan is the exact same as c.dono's except I omit the Regan's Orange and just use 2 dashes of Angostura.

EagleRiver
08-13-2013, 19:06
1dash Angostura Bitters
2oz Rittenhouse BIB

I tried this recipe, great by the way, I have decided Carpano is my favorite of all the Vermouths I have tried and the rittenhouse is a great base rye. On the bitters I have tried multiple combinations.
Angostura x2
Angostura x1 and orange x1
Peychands x1 and orange x1
Angostura x1 and Peychauds x1
Peychauds x2
Orange x2
I find the orange doesn't add much of a noticeable difference to me, I did however notice that I like just Peychauds the best. But each drink was a very tasty experiment.

My friend gave me a bottle of Stranahan's, so I have been using that the last couple nights, it is a bit spicy and dry and works pretty well in place of rye.

MJB
08-13-2013, 19:21
My whole family drinks Manhattans its official family cocktail.

Everyone has their own spin and thats one of the great things about it.

My father, brother, and myself all like this mix.

2 parts Willett Rye
1 part Antica Carpano Vermouth.
2 dashes angostura bitters.
1 Luxardo Cherry in the bottom of the glass

My dad prefers a heavier pour of rye closer to 3 to 1
We use different bitters depending on the mood.

Blantons also makes a fantastic substitute in the recipe

The Willett Rye brings a lot to the party

WAINWRIGHT
08-13-2013, 19:34
I tried this recipe, great by the way, I have decided Carpano is my favorite of all the Vermouths I have tried and the rittenhouse is a great base rye. On the bitters I have tried multiple combinations.
Angostura x2
Angostura x1 and orange x1
Peychands x1 and orange x1
Angostura x1 and Peychauds x1
Peychauds x2
Orange x2
I find the orange doesn't add much of a noticeable difference to me, I did however notice that I like just Peychauds the best. But each drink was a very tasty experiment.

My friend gave me a bottle of Stranahan's, so I have been using that the last couple nights, it is a bit spicy and dry and works pretty well in place of rye.I think I created a bit of a monster,I think the Manhattan kick is only equaled by my pursuit of all these damn expensive beers you keep recommending.......it's a hell of a fun hobby though isn't it?:grin:

EagleRiver
08-13-2013, 20:32
Ya I have 4 beers on draft and about 30 different bottles in the fridge and I can't stop playing around with the manhattan recipe, lol. We did some Rob Roy's last week with Isle of Jura Prophecy, they was quite intense.

WAINWRIGHT
08-13-2013, 20:37
Well in that case I'll come over drink all your good beer and leave you a bottle of nice rye it's a win win situation!

c.dono
08-17-2013, 21:48
Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.

tanstaafl2
08-17-2013, 22:33
Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.

Fee Bros are fairly common and I have used several including the barrel aged and the aromatic old fashioned bitters which is a little similar to Angostura. They generally work nicely in most cocktails. The knock on Fee is that they are not alcohol based but instead glycerine and propylene glycol based. You don't typically use that much so not sure how much that matters. They kind of have a bitters for every occasion.

EagleRiver
09-10-2013, 21:02
In my Qwest for perfection I have found a cheap combo I really liked in an effort to use up some vermouth. Very Old Barton 6year BIB 2parts, M&R Sweet 1 part, 3 dashes peychauds. For whatever reason I found this combo really hit the spot with me. Not as good as say the Carpano/Rittenhouse combo, but for cheap ingredients is pretty dang good.

Renegator
09-11-2013, 13:22
Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)
1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth
.24 oz Campari
2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm

johnm13
10-18-2013, 09:46
Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)
1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth
.24 oz Campari
2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm

could you review the barrel aged bitters? I currently prefer the bitter truth old fashion aromatic but wonder about the barrel aged. I like a ratio of 5oz booze to 3oz carpano or cocci with bitter truth. oh, and don't forget the luxardo cherry and lemon oil on the rim.

Young Blacksmith
10-19-2013, 08:28
Here is my go to Manhattan:

2.5 oz Sazerac Rye
1 oz Nolly Prat Rouge
4 dashes Pechyaud's
Luxardo cherry with a bit of syrup

I don't really like Angostura bitters, and find the Sazerac to be just right for my tastes. Need to try the Handy variant!

EagleRiver
10-23-2013, 09:33
I think my favorite has become
2oz Rittenhouse
1oz Carpana
3 dashes angostura

After not being able to get any Sazerac for many months I finally picked up a fresh bottle yesterday and made this combination.
2oz Sazerac Rye
1/2oz Cinzano Sweet
1/2oz Cinzano Dry
3 dashes of Angostura
It was very, very good, could become my other go to.

jersey12
10-24-2013, 20:52
I like to make my manhattans is with a 5:1 ratio of rye to vermouth. My ideal is made with Willett 4yr rye but I'm happy to use any rye or high rye bourbon (tonight's was made with OGD 114). I also like a good 3 dashes of Angostura and a single cherry if I happen to have any around.

I actually just finished a my current bottle of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth and would appreciate some input on something different to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your input!

JKLS
10-25-2013, 01:23
I actually just finished a my current bottle of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth and would appreciate some input on something different to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your input!

I like Carpano Antica.

JKLS
10-25-2013, 01:52
This:

And this:

My perfect manhattan, served to me a couple weeks ago at the bar by my good buddy: 4:1:1 BMH16, Punt y Mes, Dolin Blanc. Fee's rhubarb bitters on the stir, fee's whiskey barrel bitters on the chilled glass, garnished with a luxardo cherry. Mind blown.

Both sound fantastic. @Wryguy, were the whiskey barrel bitters a wash or on the rim?

Right now I am drinking a decent Manhattan, made of some "leftovers". I had 2oz of Dad's Hat Vermouth Finished Rye left in a (sealed) glass from the other night while I browsing this thread, figured I would turn it into something.

2oz Dad's Hat Vermouth Finished Rye
0.5oz Flor de Cana 7yo Rum
0.5oz THH Sazerac Rye
0.75oz Carpano Antica Vermouth
2 dashes Scrappy's Aromatic Bitters (my bitters selection is getting critically low)
Brandied cherry as garnish

I added the THH for some balls. The Dad's Hat isn't bad at 94 proof, but I usually use 100 proof bourbon as my base so I figured, why the hell not. I didn't love it at first, but it is growing on me. My standard of late (as best as I can remember) has been 2oz OGD BIB, .75oz Carpano Antica, .5oz Flor de Cana 7yo, plus bitters/cherries/etc.

jersey12
10-25-2013, 06:20
I like Carpano Antica.

Thanks JKLS, I'll check it out.

Young Blacksmith
10-25-2013, 09:15
Check out Dolin and Nolly Pratt also, both good vermouths. I can get Nolly Pratt locally, but have to travel to find Dolin and Carpano Antica.

soonami
10-25-2013, 17:43
I like Willet FE Rye 110 proofer in Manhattans. Although I made one with Handy the other night that was excellent, it just seems excessively luxurious.

For me, I usually like 3-4:1 Rye to Vermouth. Right now I'm using Cocchi Torino, which I think is great. I also prefer a thick orange twist to maraschino cherry, but that's just me

Usual Recipe:

2 oz Willet FE Rye
0.75 oz Cocchi Torino
2 dashes Angostura

Stir over ice, strain into coupe and then a wide peel of orange (1 x 2 in) twist over the top and rubbed on the rim

onemorepour
10-27-2013, 01:00
I am intrigued by tanstaafl2 and his smokey mezcal rinse, this is something that definitely warrants further experimentation and my sincerest of thank yous goes out to you mate.

Played about 3hrs of basketball this arvo (sunday) and my body is about to explode, after a bunch of water i enjoyed a:

Perfect manhattan
2oz EC12
0.5oz noilly sweet
O.5oz noilly dry
4 dashes agno orange bitters

JKLS
10-28-2013, 00:07

I was a bar the other night where they had all of these and I knew the bartender. He made me one. He hated it. My girlfriend who loves cocktails, bourbon, mezcal, smoke, etc also hated it.
I loved it.

I am intrigued by tanstaafl2 and his smokey mezcal rinse, this is something that definitely warrants further experimentation and my sincerest of thank yous goes out to you mate.

And since I do not have any of the original ingredients, tonight I am drinking a variant. What started as a perfect Manhattan and then transitioned to a rum based version is now coming full circle.

1oz THH Sazerac Rye
1oz Carpano Antica
1oz Dolin Dry
2 dashes Bitter End BBQ Bitters
Lagavulin 16 wash

Not half bad.

tanstaafl2
10-29-2013, 11:13
I was a bar the other night where they had all of these and I knew the bartender. He made me one. He hated it. My girlfriend who loves cocktails, bourbon, mezcal, smoke, etc also hated it.
I loved it.

It is definitely one for the dry, smokey crowd. Not an every day drink to be sure but every now and again t is just the thing. Comes from the Beta Cocktail book which is full of little oddities like this!

And since I do not have any of the original ingredients, tonight I am drinking a variant. What started as a perfect Manhattan and then transitioned to a rum based version is now coming full circle.

1oz THH Sazerac Rye
1oz Carpano Antica
1oz Dolin Dry
2 dashes Bitter End BBQ Bitters
Lagavulin 16 wash

Not half bad.

Experimentation, as Martha would say, is a good thing!

c.dono
10-30-2013, 06:41
Any of you guys try Vya vermouth in your Manhattans or other cocktails? Interested to know how it is.

Wryguy
10-30-2013, 06:50
Any of you guys try Vya vermouth in your Manhattans or other cocktails? Interested to know how it is.

Great! It's a bit pricier than other options, but it tastes less processed and fresher in its spiciness. That and Dolin and Cocchi are my mainstays for Manhattans. It's definitely deep, rich stuff.

SqueakScolari
11-08-2013, 15:51

I love Vya vermouth. That and Punt e mes are my go-to for sweet vermouth. Punt e mes has a bitter flavor that I like.

There's a lot of good cocktails with vermouth, Campari, Cynar, etc.

I just opened my first Carpano Antica and made a Vieux Carré (http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/vieux-carre)with it (Sazerac Rye and E&J VSOP). Pretty good stuff.

jersey12
11-15-2013, 19:16
Just had my first manhattan made with Carpano Antica. Definitely noticed the vermouth more than I ever had before using martini & rossi and I'm pretty sure I liked it but will have to conduct further tests ;).

petrel800
11-15-2013, 22:38
I'm a 3 to 1 guy myself, rye to vermouth. Carpano Antiqua only. 2 dashes fee brothers bourbon barrel aged, 2 dashed barrel aged orange bitters. Serve in a chilled martini glass.

For Rye, I'm a fan of the Willet 4 year family reserve rye. I know its LDI, nut the high proof brings a lot to the drink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

nd2005
11-23-2013, 16:17
I've been mixing it up between bourbon and rye lately:

High West Rendezvous Rye 3 oz
Dolin Sweet Vermouth 1.5 oz
Fee Barrel aged orange bitters
1 homemade cherry (see recipe from ErichPryde on this forum)
Stirred, not shaken

Or

Four Roses 1B 3 oz
Vya Sweet Vermouth 1 oz (Vya has a great, distinct flavor, but I tend to go lighter on it)
Fee orange bitters again
1 homemade cherry
Stirred, not shaken
A little splash of 4R1B on top of the finished cocktail

Solon
11-25-2013, 09:47
Here's new one I have been having:

3 Parts Rye ( I use Ryan & Wood)
1 Part Sweet Vermouth
1/4 part maple syrup
two dashes Orange Bitters.

Shaken into a chilled glass.

higgins
11-25-2013, 20:22
A little splash of 4R1B on top of the finished cocktail

I've been enjoying a splash of high-proof bourbon to the top of my Manhattans lately, usually OGD114. Not too surprising, but it makes for a really good tasting cocktail! :grin:

JKLS
12-08-2013, 02:40
Currently:

3/4oz OGD BiB
3/4oz Ritt Rye BiB
3/4oz Punt e Mes
3/4oz Noilly Prat Extra Dry
3 dashes orange bitters
2 ea cherry to garnish

Solid. Might mix up a big batch, throw it in a large mason jar with some charred barrel staves, then bottle it in some small bottles for holiday gifts.

DAM
12-11-2013, 12:48
My standard recipe is as follows:

3 oz Rittenhouse
1 oz Carpano Antica
2 Dashes Angostura bitters
Garnished with a lemon twist and a cherry.
And serve in a coup.

My "perfect" Manhattan though is essentially a reverse Jerry Thomas, where I substitute George T. Stagg in a 2:1 ratio with the Carpano. That is hard to beat.

Drewsan
12-27-2013, 10:10
A nice winter rye variation:

1 3/4 oz - Jefferson's 100% Rye
1/2 oz Contratto Bianco
1/4 oz Dolin Blanc
*Stirred with 1-2 dashes Angostura Orange*
*Strained into a chilled Manhattan glass that has a Angostura (regular) wash and an orange (can be flamed) twist*

tanstaafl2
12-28-2013, 09:06
Contratto Bianco vermouth is reaching pretty deep into the spirits cabinet! It was only reintroduced last year I believe.

Haven't seen it locally so far. Where are you located?

What do you think of it? Have you tried either of the Rosso's or the fernet?

matthewdc
12-29-2013, 20:17
Ordered a pre dinner drink called the The Manhattan Project: old overholt rye infused with ceylon tea & thyme, carpano antiqua formula vermouth, housemade orange bitters.

I have to say it was a very good manhattan--one of the best I've had in a while. I plan to try to infuse some rye to recreate it.

Oboe Cadobro
01-02-2014, 11:22
On occasion, I make a Manhattan using Bittermens Xocolatl Mole bitters (spicy chocolate bitters). Best to NOT use a rye unless you like your cocktail really spicy! I tend to use a lighter weight vermouth like Vya and a lower proof bourbon like WT101, WTRB, or even ETL.

http://bittermens.com/products/xocolatl-mole-bitters/

Bittermens makes a bunch of excellent high-quality bitters for many different styles of cocktails, and they even have recipes for fantastic cocktails you have never heard of...:toast:

kjbeggs
02-03-2014, 13:33
For my Basic Manhattan:
2-3 oz Rittenhouse Rye (recently using Hudson Manhattan Rye I got as a gift)
1 oz Vermouth (Usually Noilly Pratt, because it's easy for me to find).
Dash of Cherry or Grapefruit bitters
Stirred, then strained into a chilled glass with a cherry, sometimes an orange twist.

Last week, I substituted High West Campfire whiskey for the Rye.

For a sweeter drink, I occasionally make a variation of a recipe from Carnival Cruise lines:
3 oz Bourbon (Makers)
1 oz Vermouth (Dry or sweet, to your liking)
3/4 oz Monin Brown Sugar syrup (very sweet)
Dash or two of the Grapefruit or Chocolate bitters
Stirred, then strained into chilled glass
Flame an orange peel over the glass, then rim, and drop in.

tanstaafl2
02-03-2014, 13:38
For my Basic Manhattan:
2-3 oz Rittenhouse Rye (recently using Hudson Manhattan Rye I got as a gift)
1 oz Vermouth (Usually Noilly Pratt, because it's easy for me to find).
Dash of Cherry or Grapefruit bitters
Stirred, then strained into a chilled glass with a cherry, sometimes an orange twist.

Last week, I substituted High West Campfire whiskey for the Rye.

For a sweeter drink, I occasionally make a variation of a recipe from Carnival Cruise lines:
3 oz Bourbon (Makers)
1 oz Vermouth (Dry or sweet, to your liking)
3/4 oz Monin Brown Sugar syrup (very sweet)
Dash or two of the Grapefruit or Chocolate bitters
Stirred, then strained into chilled glass
Flame an orange peel over the glass, then rim, and drop in.

That second one would indeed seem likely to be very sweet. Very cruise ship-ish in character!

kjbeggs
02-03-2014, 14:13
That second one would indeed seem likely to be very sweet. Very cruise ship-ish in character!

Yes it is, I make it for people who don't typically drink straight whiskey, bu think they want a Manhattan because they saw someone order one in a movie (although I occasionally make myself one as well).