PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon infusion?

onemorepour
09-11-2013, 17:20
Anyone else here mess about with infusing bourbons for cocktails? I am partial to a bourbon bloody mary and find a bottle of WT101 left in a warm place for a few weeks with a couple birds eye chillis (stems chopped off) jammed in the bottle makes for an interesting experience. What else could work?

darylld911
09-12-2013, 03:15
I don't make many cocktails, but I have played around with different infusions. My favorite so far is peanut/peanut butter - best of both worlds. A few cacoa nibs will also add color and a bitter, dark chocolate note.

squire
09-12-2013, 05:08
What else could work?

Honey roasted peanuts.

imbibehour
09-12-2013, 08:23
I did a Jim Beam Black with blueberries some time ago it was great, it was also fascinating to see how it changed once I bottled and capped it.

Blog write up here: http://imbibehour.blogspot.com/2010/08/revisiting-blueberry-infusion.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KwFW4hjdU4

enjoy!

onemorepour
09-15-2013, 02:51
Good ideas, peanuts, JBB and blueberries who woulda thought!
Im workin on an idea for preserved lemons using makers mark and whole cloves for making whiskey sours, im imagining a flaming lemon peel curl being extinguished into the glass as a garnish

theglobalguy
09-18-2013, 19:37
Tonight I loaded a few mason jars with:

- bourbon w/ habanero pepper and garlic
- rye w/ habanero and cashews

At the very least I used up some habaneros from the garden.

Alphanumeric
09-18-2013, 20:00
Tonight I loaded a few mason jars with:

- bourbon w/ habanero pepper and garlic
- rye w/ habanero and cashews

At the very least I used up some habaneros from the garden.

I love bourbon, and I love garlic. But I cringe reading that. I hope that works out better than I envision it. I want it to work out better than I envision it.

LIQUIDWHEAT
09-18-2013, 20:25
I'VE PUT UP SOME CHERRIES IN A JAR. I'll LET THEM GO FOR A WHILE AND DRY THEM OUT TO PUT IN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, OR DIP IN REALLY GOOD Chocolate for X-mas gifts
GANBEI

Old Dusty
09-19-2013, 04:58
Did a "bacon washed" EW Black for bacon/maple Old Fashioneds. Different and delicious for tailgating especially early games. Like breakfast in a glass.

theglobalguy
09-24-2013, 14:34
I love bourbon, and I love garlic. But I cringe reading that. I hope that works out better than I envision it. I want it to work out better than I envision it.

Sadly you were correct. I made the mistake of searching for ways to use habanero, saw a Vodka infusion and thought...."close enough". Yah, not close enough.

Hey, you don't enjoy life without making a few mistakes along the way. This one just happened to smell like fire and death.

smokinjoe
09-24-2013, 18:07
Every Christmas, I'll dump some candy canes in a half bottle of bourbon. Shake it up a bit, let it sit for a day or so, and it makes for a nice little sipper on a chilly December evening. S'pose I could concoct some kind of cocktail out of this...

Restaurant man
09-25-2013, 05:53
Every Christmas, I'll dump some candy canes in a half bottle of bourbon. Shake it up a bit, let it sit for a day or so, and it makes for a nice little sipper on a chilly December evening. S'pose I could concoct some kind of cocktail out of this...

Or just throw in a little good chocolate. Mmm

smokinjoe
12-17-2013, 11:04

Well, made my yearly candy came infused bourbon last night. AAA 10 Star. The 10 star has a bit of young spice to it, so I think the pairing should work well.
Maybe take a little Kevin's suggestion and eat some chocolate with it. :yum:

rndenks
12-18-2013, 10:18
I saw there is book out there (Amazon) with some infusion recipe's for all sorts of spirits. It made my Christmas list, so we see if I have been a good boy.

I like instruction for a while before I venture off path on my own. I will let you all know if the book is good. Unless I was deemed naughty this year.

squire
12-18-2013, 10:33
Naughty or nice, both have their rewards.

Enoch
12-26-2013, 11:49
Sadly you were correct. I made the mistake of searching for ways to use habanero, saw a Vodka infusion and thought...."close enough". Yah, not close enough.

Hey, you don't enjoy life without making a few mistakes along the way. This one just happened to smell like fire and death.

I keep a bottle of habanero infused tequila around to make margaritas. They are great.

Enoch
12-26-2013, 11:51
Tried this the other night and it is great. Even my step-daughter who doesn't like bourbon or peppermint liked it.

TunnelTiger
12-26-2013, 11:53
Gonna give this a try with both Bourbon and rye

Drewsan
01-20-2014, 07:26
At my bar, we infuse Rittenhouse with Pu-Erh tea, which is a fermented varietal. It's quite nice, and provides a terrific base to create from.

squire
01-20-2014, 08:43
Drew have you tried infusions with other tea varieties?