PDA

View Full Version : What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Fall/Winter 2013

Alphanumeric
10-06-2013, 19:02
To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)
3/4 oz. Campari
3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)
2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.

tanstaafl2
10-07-2013, 07:30
To kick off a fall/winter cocktail thread, I'll post a Boulevardier riff (improvement).

1794:

1 1/2 oz. rye (Ritt. DSP 354)
3/4 oz. Campari
3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)
2 dashes xocolatl bitters (Bitter Truth's Bittermen's version)

This drink kills the Boulevardier. Sweet vermouth is a temperamental thing for me. Good on its own, not so good in cocktails. Manhattans and Negronis have always been a sticking point. The xocolatl mole bitters go well with the spices in the sweet vermouth. Couple that with the spice and barrel age of rye and the bittersweet, complex Campari, and you have a carefully thought out drink to get you through the brisk months.

I know bitter is a prevailing theme in the cocktail world but I always have to maintain a light hand on the Compari to suit my taste, which admittedly leans towards the sweet side.

I would probably try to get my bitterness from the vermouth with Carpano or maybe Punt e Mes and go with less Compari. Or push it to the sweet side by subbing Aperol which admittedly creates a different taste profile but one I seem to like better than Compari.

Alphanumeric
10-07-2013, 21:02
I know bitter is a prevailing theme in the cocktail world but I always have to maintain a light hand on the Compari to suit my taste, which admittedly leans towards the sweet side.

I would probably try to get my bitterness from the vermouth with Carpano or maybe Punt e Mes and go with less Compari. Or push it to the sweet side by subbing Aperol which admittedly creates a different taste profile but one I seem to like better than Compari.

Are you not a Campari fan? That would be a shame. I'm enamored with the stuff.

I have swapped sweet vermouth with Punt e Mes in a Negroni, but never in one of the whiskey-based versions. The PeM Negroni wins over the standard, with its fortified bitterness. I'm only barely familiar with Aperol, but I think I'd find a Negroni-family drink difficult to enjoy if I were expecting Campari.

Yeti
10-08-2013, 07:16
The answer to this thread, however intermittent, will almost always be a Russian. Last night it was Tito's, Kahlua, BT Bourbon Cream, and a splash of Chambord. I always eyeball pour my Russians over ice, but it's probably a pretty normal 2/1/.5/.5 mix, or something close to it.

tanstaafl2
10-08-2013, 07:25
Are you not a Campari fan? That would be a shame. I'm enamored with the stuff.

I have swapped sweet vermouth with Punt e Mes in a Negroni, but never in one of the whiskey-based versions. The PeM Negroni wins over the standard, with its fortified bitterness. I'm only barely familiar with Aperol, but I think I'd find a Negroni-family drink difficult to enjoy if I were expecting Campari.

Oh, I have it and use it periodically but I just find a little goes a long way for me. I always make a new cocktail that includes Campari as written to start with but often find I want to modify it. My bitter meter doesn't go quite as high as a lot of others, especially the current elite local cocktail gurus in town, seems to.

Happyhour24x7
10-16-2013, 03:24
At M&S Grill last night, hd a couple of interesting cocktails on the menu. One had bourbon, ginger liqueur, apple butter syrup and sage; great fall cocktail but a little on the sweet side for me. The other was an old fashioned riff with some peach bitters and the interesting addition of Pimm's cup. It was also good, but with a finish that was a little odd. Both worth trying.

soonami
10-16-2013, 08:56
Had a Corpse Reviver #2:

1 part Gin (Bluecoat)
1 part Lillet Blanc
1 part Orange Liqueur (usually calls for Cointreau, but I subbed Gran Marnier because that's all I had)
1 part lime juice
Shake on ice and pour into absinthe (Vieux Carre) rinsed glass. Garnish with lemon peel.

And a Martinez:

2 parts Gin (Tanqueray Malacca)
1 part Sweet Vermouth (Cocchi Torino)
1 scant Spoonful Maraschino Liquor
3 dashes Angostura bitters
Stir over ice, twist of orange

Been getting into gin cocktails a lot lately. They just have an aromatic and herbal quality that you don't find in whiskey, beer, or most food. I still finished the night off with a 7 year WSR, but gin drinks are great pre-dinner and after dinner drinks

bigtoys
10-27-2013, 17:25
my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess
1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye
3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Cherry Heeling
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/bigtoys335/media/etoh/08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg.html)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/bigtoys335/media/etoh/d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg.html)

bigtoys
10-27-2013, 19:42
my wife forwarded me some cocktail recipes and this one sounded good…and I had everything in the house

Remember the Maine (American battleship sunk in Havana Harbor before the Spanish-American War)

1/2 oz Absinthe--coat glass and discard excess
1 1/2 oz Bulleit Rye
3/4 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz Cherry Heeling
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

combine last 4 ingredients with ice; stir or shake; stain into glass. I added a couple of Luxardo cherries.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/bigtoys335/media/etoh/08e7537d-0ace-4541-8315-f6c378678ddc_zps0544dfc7.jpg.html)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg (http://s230.photobucket.com/user/bigtoys335/media/etoh/d719f83e-6257-475e-a38c-b41d9e0c1ae9_zps433ff419.jpg.html)

ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass

tanstaafl2
10-29-2013, 10:03
ok, that would be Cherry Heering and strain into glass

I think there is a cocktail by that name in the PDT book but not sure if it is the same ingredients. But I have what is needed so will have to give this a try!

Trey Manthey
10-30-2013, 22:16
I've got too many open bottles of vermouth, and I found a great deal on 1L bottles of Campari and Cynar nearby, so lots of Negronis and Boulevardiers the last couple weeks. The downside: I think Cynar makes my pee smell wierd...

onemorepour
11-02-2013, 03:00
Created this cocktail tonight as an aperetif prior to some pad thai i cooked for dinner, have to say that it was pretty damn good! The nose was incredibly complex and fruity, i couldnt believe it was 100proof.

I didnt measure while mixing but the approximate measures were: (2person serve)
2.5oz wt rye101
2oz chartreuse green
1oz dubonet
1tsp simple sugar syrup
0.5 tsp agnostura orange bitters

Shaken hard with ice and served in a glencairn, should look like quava juice!

TheGentleman
11-02-2013, 05:17
I've been making this one for the wife lately...

2 oz bourbon (i've been using VOB BIB)
0.5 oz orange liqueur
0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
2 oz apple cider
dash of orange and angostura bitters

shake in cocktail shaker and serve in martini glass. I like to garnish with a flaming orange peel for the dramatic effect.

Tony
11-02-2013, 10:57
Making this today for the football game later, sounds tasty.

Four Roses Cider

1 parts Apple Cider
1 part Four Roses Yellow Label Bourbon
5-7 Cinnamon Sticks

Put all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 2.5 hours before guest arrive, this will make your home smell wonderful! Serve in a mug with a cinnamon stick! Enjoy!

TunnelTiger
11-03-2013, 12:53
On a recommendation from a fellow SBer had my first bloody mary with JB Wiser rye. Never had one before except with gin or vodka and although I was hesitant I must say it's excellent.

SqueakScolari
11-08-2013, 14:58
On a recommendation from a fellow SBer had my first bloody mary with JB Wiser rye. Never had one before except with gin or vodka and although I was hesitant I must say it's excellent.

I never thought of making a bloody mary with whiskey. Actually, I've never made a bloody mary, but now I might have to try it (a whiskey mary? or use scotch and make a Mary Queen of Scots).

petrel800
11-12-2013, 17:47
Having a rattlesnake tonight. Tasty.

Trey Manthey
11-13-2013, 21:16
Broke out of 4 days of tee totaling with a Harvest Moon made with WT rye 101. Inspired by a post on reddit

petrel800
11-15-2013, 21:27
Having a rattlesnake tonight. Tasty.

Yeah, on a roll, another rattlesnake, got to use up these egg whites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

sutton
11-22-2013, 12:25
Towards the end of a couple of bottles, so thought I would try to make a cocktail to kill the last few inches. I like Manhattans and Boulevardiers, but then realized the only vermouth I had was an unopened Carpano Antica which I'm saving for Thanksgiving. So threw together the following:

2 oz. Col. Lee NAS
1/2 oz. Compari
1/2 oz. Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel 2011
3 dashes Fee Bros. orange bitters

- stir w/ ice and strain; lemon twist

The Zin was opened on the counter from last night's dinner, so threw it in as a substitute for the vermouth. Not half bad! The Zin is very young, big bold and brambly. Nice and jammy; big fruit. While it doesn't have some of the herbaceous character of vermouth, it's a nice counterpoint to the bitterness of the Compari and bitters.

TunnelTiger
11-22-2013, 12:40
Towards the end of a couple of bottles, so thought I would try to make a cocktail to kill the last few inches. I like Manhattans and Boulevardiers, but then realized the only vermouth I had was an unopened Carpano Antica which I'm saving for Thanksgiving. So threw together the following:

2 oz. Col. Lee NAS
1/2 oz. Compari
1/2 oz. Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel 2011
3 dashes Fee Bros. orange bitters

- stir w/ ice and strain; lemon twist

The Zin was opened on the counter from last night's dinner, so threw it in as a substitute for the vermouth. Not half bad! The Zin is very young, big bold and brambly. Nice and jammy; big fruit. While it doesn't have some of the herbaceous character of vermouth, it's a nice counterpoint to the bitterness of the Compari and bitters.

Well I've already commited to open my first bottle of HWCampfire tonght I think I'll try this first with some 4RYL.

sutton
11-22-2013, 12:59
I think FRYL would be a great one to use ... the Compari and bitters have a huge influence on the nose, but the Zin was a nice surprise in how it balanced out that bitterness. I hate to say it, but it is at least as good as the vermouth...

onemorepour
11-22-2013, 16:57
Not really a cocktail but more of a potent herbal tea recipe i modified for my cough by adding hooch, which I consider the best medicine on the market, anyway as most of you guys a heading into winter I thought I would share this recipe, its a strong mix and really knocks any stubborn coughs about, and doesnt taste too bad either!

Steep a bunch of fresh thyme in a cup of boiling water for 5 mins, then add:
1tbsp of Manuka Honey
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of grated ginger
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 oz of brandy
Strain into mug

Wryguy
11-24-2013, 11:47
Sipping on a Lion's Tail, made with the dregs of a bottle of BMH, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and a little All-Spice Dram, stirred in a tumbler with a big cube and finished with a dash of Angostura. Autumnal and appropriate.

NRCardinal88
11-24-2013, 15:00
Made a new cocktail last night with the following:
3 oz OGD 114
2-3 oz fresh apple cider
.5 oz maple syrup.
Few dashes of angostura

Shaken with ice and poured over a cube with a lemon peel and small sprinkle of cinnamon. Very tasty

DaveOfAtl
11-25-2013, 18:51
Made a new cocktail last night with the following:
3 oz OGD 114
2-3 oz fresh apple cider
.5 oz maple syrup.
Few dashes of angostura

Shaken with ice and poured over a cube with a lemon peel and small sprinkle of cinnamon. Very tasty

Sounds great. I bet it might also be good as a hot drink.

smokinjoe
11-29-2013, 15:44
I'll probably go to H.E. Double HockeySticks for this, but I did enjoy an Angry Orchard Crisp Apple mixed with Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, yesterday at Thanksgiving Festivities... :blush: I hope my admission here, acts as some sort of Confession, and my sin will be forgiven....:D

HighInTheMtns
11-29-2013, 16:07
As sinful as it is to drink Fireball, I think it's a sin that you're immediately absolved from. That stuff is too irresistible to hold it against the drinker.

WAINWRIGHT
11-30-2013, 04:52
I'll probably go to H.E. Double HockeySticks for this, but I did enjoy an Angry Orchard Crisp Apple mixed with Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, yesterday at Thanksgiving Festivities... :blush: I hope my admission here, acts as some sort of Confession, and my sin will be forgiven....:D

As sinful as it is to drink Fireball, I think it's a sin that you're immediately absolved from. That stuff is too irresistible to hold it against the drinker.I guess we're all going to burn then,because my niece insisted I try one of these last night and I hate to admit that it was pretty damned tasty!

compliance
12-04-2013, 21:49
Manhattan with ETL, Carpano Antica, Angostura and chocolate chili bitters. The chocolate chili bitters give it a great holiday flavor.

DaveOfAtl
12-05-2013, 18:28
Couldn't decide on whether to have a bourbon or rye Manhattan, so I used my last oz. of GBS Private barrel of ETL, 1.5 oz. of THH, Dolin, Angosutura and Bokers bitters. Not the most balanced manhattan but still very good.

Gillman
12-05-2013, 18:55
A Sazerac. This has become my go-to cocktail. Only rarely now will I drink a Manhattan or Martini.

I have a kind of solera going in a half-gallon jug I keep adding to. However, I think the result is fairly consistent because I can see that I incline to a certain taste. And so even though the bourbons, ryes, Canadians and brandies, not to mention bitters and the mix of 4 or 5 absinthes I use, vary over time, the taste tends to be within a certain spectrum. I like a good straight whiskey base with a brandy overlay, a rye presence (which can be imparted by small batch Canadians and/or straight U.S. ryes) and an aromatic blend of different bitters with cherry and orange notes perhaps predominating in the latter.

The taste is (if I may say) very rich and complex, kind of a Turkish Delight of a cocktail so to speak. I seek also a soft glycerine like palate, for neat drinking, ice, bah.

I like the anise more forward now than in the past. It is a key part of this drink and I refuse to let it peek from around the corner.

I give you, the Sazerac, or rather, your humble scribe's version since no one's effort however manful can be considered definitive.

Gary

buoy37
12-05-2013, 20:12
I stirred up an Old Charter 101 Old Fashioned tonight (no muddled fruit) to enjoy while I browse through the SB forum

devillighter
12-10-2013, 14:10
Off work today due to the weather, despite the snowfall amount not living up to predictions. Always enjoy going the tiki route during winter weather so I put together one of my favorites, a chartreuse swizzle http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/improved-chartreuse-swizzle/, according to kaiser penguin's specifications. Using up a bottle of Velvet Falernum at the moment, but this is especially good if using homemade falernum (I also use kaiser penguin's falernum recipe). Since I was off work, I also started infusing bourbon for some root beer bitters, with wintergreen, sarsaparilla, spearmint, licorice root, and a few other herbs using a recipe from the Bitters book.

Alphanumeric
12-10-2013, 19:42
Off work today due to the weather, despite the snowfall amount not living up to predictions. Always enjoy going the tiki route during winter weather so I put together one of my favorites, a chartreuse swizzle http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/improved-chartreuse-swizzle/, according to kaiser penguin's specifications. Using up a bottle of Velvet Falernum at the moment, but this is especially good if using homemade falernum (I also use kaiser penguin's falernum recipe). Since I was off work, I also started infusing bourbon for some root beer bitters, with wintergreen, sarsaparilla, spearmint, licorice root, and a few other herbs using a recipe from the Bitters book.

One of my favorites. It's hard to beat an icy concoction of Wray & Nephew, Chartreuse, and falernum.

White Dog
12-16-2013, 17:20
2 oz. dusty WT101Rye, 1oz Cocchi Vermouth, .5oz of Cocchi Barolo Chinato, and a dropper of Bittercube Bolivar bitters. On my third.

devillighter
12-18-2013, 18:43
Made a Hot Hopper the other night, recipe courtesy of LeNell Camacho Santa Ana who is writing a lot for epicurious now (many of you may remember her for her Brooklyn Liquor Store and Red Hook Rye). Very nice with Tempus Fugit cordials, but if I'd have to make it again I'd do half drinks as it is too cloying to sip in one sitting.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2013/11/hot-hopper-.html

tanstaafl2
12-21-2013, 14:32
Made a Hot Hopper the other night, recipe courtesy of LeNell Camacho Santa Ana who is writing a lot for epicurious now (many of you may remember her for her Brooklyn Liquor Store and Red Hook Rye). Very nice with Tempus Fugit cordials, but if I'd have to make it again I'd do half drinks as it is too cloying to sip in one sitting.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2013/11/hot-hopper-.html

Just saw in Imbibe that she is opening a new place called Lenell's Beverage Boutique (with an adjoining bar in Birmingham, AL of all places. Apparently it is her home town. Could more unique bottlings be forthcoming? Seems like it will be tough in the current environment.

But apparently she will be the Queen of American Whiskey once again by her own report.

I guess I missed the first time around...

smokinjoe
12-24-2013, 12:23
Just finished wrapping the last present, and am now relaxing back and listening to Christmas music with an Old Crotchety Fashioned.

Pudsky
12-24-2013, 16:37
Sazerac coctail. Just got into these a few months ago. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Used up a bottle of Willett 4 yr rye first, now into a bottle of Sazerac Rye. I think I liked the Willett better. Much hotter and spicer, better in a mixed drink. Have a Thomas H Handy ready to open as soon as I can acquire a Saz 18 and William Larue Weller so I can complete the BTAC this year. Hopefully that happens soon.

nd2005
12-24-2013, 16:56
Blood orange old-fashioned. One for me, one for my mom.

i usually minimize/skip the fruit but thought she would like it more that way.

1 sugar cube, 4 dashes angostura bitters, 4 dashes orange bitters, one thin slice of orange, 1 oz water, 2 oz sazerac rye

smokinjoe
12-27-2013, 10:22
I couldn't resist picking it up a couple of months ago, and finally popped the bottle of Fluid Dynamics aged cocktail, The St. Nick", on Christmas Eve. Not great, not bad, not particularly interesting, but it made for an event. :D.

Obviously, the St. Nick name was the bait and hook for me (savvy bit of branding on their part, and perfect for Suckers like moi:D). But,Fluid Dynamics??? Seems better suited for a hydraulic hose assembly company...

onemorepour
12-28-2013, 02:27
Warm day today here hit almost 40 (over 100 to most of you) so my afternoon included a couple dubonet and gins, which apparently was queen elizabeths favourite cocktail, now continuing the dubonet vibe with a WTR101 and dubonet manhattans

Alphanumeric
01-03-2014, 21:42
Got a few bottles for my New Year's party. Benedictine, Laird's bonded, and Art in the Age's Snap all made their way onto my bar.

Benedictine's a champ. It's taken me so long to pick up a bottle because I've recently been distracted by all these fleeting whiskeys and have frittered away my alcohol budget on them. The first drink I made with it was a Cocktail a la Louisiane. I was not disappointed. Fantastic drink. Everything else it touched fared well, albeit not as much so.

Laird's bonded is quite good for what it is. I've been meaning to fill in the non-grape, non-citrus fruit gap in my bar for a while and Laird's does it well.

Snap was a disappointment. I truly appreciate Art in the Age's philosophy on spirit-making and wanted to like their product. I got it expecting ginger liqueur and instead got ginger snap liqueur. I suppose it pays to read the description. Snap is just too odd to fit into most drinks.

This evening, I summoned Laird's for my potent potable.

Jack Rose
2 oz. applejack (Laird's BiB, which isn't quite applejack)
1 oz. lime
1/2 oz. grenadine (homemade)

It was worth trying, but sours aren't my thing. I prefer more balance and harmony of flavors. Makes me itch for a Cocktail a la Louisiane.

tanstaafl2
01-05-2014, 12:24
Consider this for the Laird's BIB if you have the other ingredients.

A Moment of Silence

1 1⁄2 oz Rye
1 oz Apry (Marie Brizard Apricot liqueur)
1⁄2 oz Averna Amaro
1⁄2 oz Angostura Bitters
1⁄4 oz Lairds BIB
Campari rinse
Orange peel (as garnish)
Rinse a rocks glass with Campari. Stir and strain over a single large cube into rinsed glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Also makes a nice Old Fashioned variation particularly if you use a cinnamon spiced simple syrup. I also like using chocolate mole bitters in this.

Got a few bottles for my New Year's party. Benedictine, Laird's bonded, and Art in the Age's Snap all made their way onto my bar.

Benedictine's a champ. It's taken me so long to pick up a bottle because I've recently been distracted by all these fleeting whiskeys and have frittered away my alcohol budget on them. The first drink I made with it was a Cocktail a la Louisiane. I was not disappointed. Fantastic drink. Everything else it touched fared well, albeit not as much so.

Laird's bonded is quite good for what it is. I've been meaning to fill in the non-grape, non-citrus fruit gap in my bar for a while and Laird's does it well.

Snap was a disappointment. I truly appreciate Art in the Age's philosophy on spirit-making and wanted to like their product. I got it expecting ginger liqueur and instead got ginger snap liqueur. I suppose it pays to read the description. Snap is just too odd to fit into most drinks.

Jack Rose
1 oz. lime

It was worth trying, but sours aren't my thing. I prefer more balance and harmony of flavors. Makes me itch for a Cocktail a la Louisiane.

Trey Manthey
01-05-2014, 18:27
Too much open gin and sweet vermouth, so I've been on a Negroni tear the last couple days. Polished a Martin Miller's Westborne and a Punt E Mes this evening. Negronked.

Alphanumeric
01-07-2014, 17:00
Consider this for the Laird's BIB if you have the other ingredients.

A Moment of Silence

1 1⁄2 oz Rye
1 oz Apry (Marie Brizard Apricot liqueur)
1⁄2 oz Averna Amaro
1⁄2 oz Angostura Bitters
1⁄4 oz Lairds BIB
Campari rinse
Orange peel (as garnish)
Rinse a rocks glass with Campari. Stir and strain over a single large cube into rinsed glass and garnish with an orange twist.

Also makes a nice Old Fashioned variation particularly if you use a cinnamon spiced simple syrup. I also like using chocolate mole bitters in this.

I like the sound of that, but apricot liqueur is currently absent from the bar. The non-grape, non-citrus fruit liquor debate was between applejack and apricot liqueur, and applejack ultimately won out as the seasonally appropriate choice. Apricot liqueur will get there one of these days, but it might take a while.

Tonight is TV's Mai Tai:
1 oz. lime
1/2 oz. curaçao (Hiram Walker's)
1/2 oz. orgeat (homemade)
1 oz. aged Jamaican rum (Coruba)
1 oz. agricole (Clement VSOP)

Just picked up this weathered bottle of Coruba and felt compelled to utilize it. This was a good home for it. It's a bit hot straight, but then it's not meant as a sipper.

tanstaafl2
01-09-2014, 09:53

Jack Rose
1 oz. lime

Still looking for a cocktail to fit you new ingredients! But you may not have the yellow chartreuse and green is a bit different.

Widow's Kiss

1 1⁄2 oz Apple brandy

3⁄4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3⁄4 oz Bénédictine

3 dash Angostura

Shake with ice, strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail glass without garnish.

smokinjoe
01-11-2014, 12:56
Crack in the weather with low 60's and Sunny skies, so plopping my arse out in the Sun on the patio with a Moscow Mule. Khorosho!

Alphanumeric
01-12-2014, 18:01
Yes, Yellow is impatiently tapping its foot out at the end of the line, waiting to step up to the bar. Have you tried it with Green? Is a 3:1 Green:simple a decent approximation?

Still looking for a cocktail to fit you new ingredients! But you may not have the yellow chartreuse and green is a bit different.

Widow's Kiss

1 1⁄2 oz Apple brandy

3⁄4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3⁄4 oz Bénédictine

3 dash Angostura

Shake with ice, strain and serve up in a chilled cocktail glass without garnish.

Killed off a bottle of Lillet tonight on a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Hadn't had one in a while.

3/4 oz. gin (BIG Gin)
3/4 oz. Cointreau (HW Triple Sec)
3/4 oz. Lillet
3/4 oz. lemon juice
Dash absinthe (Pacifique)

Glad I used BIG Gin instead of Tanqueray Malacca. This is a good cocktail for something a bit more punchy. Very good balance. It would be nice to try this with some Cocchi to introduce bitterness and provide more depth.

tanstaafl2
01-13-2014, 11:01
Yes, Yellow is impatiently tapping its foot out at the end of the line, waiting to step up to the bar. Have you tried it with Green? Is a 3:1 Green:simple a decent approximation?

Never tried to approximate Yellow using the Green since I have access to both but that is a thought I suppose! Will see if I can remember to experiment some time this week.

Killed off a bottle of Lillet tonight on a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Hadn't had one in a while.

3/4 oz. gin (BIG Gin)
3/4 oz. Cointreau (HW Triple Sec)
3/4 oz. Lillet
3/4 oz. lemon juice
Dash absinthe (Pacifique)

Glad I used BIG Gin instead of Tanqueray Malacca. This is a good cocktail for something a bit more punchy. Very good balance. It would be nice to try this with some Cocchi to introduce bitterness and provide more depth.

Yes, this is a drink where a "big gin" as you describe it is generally needed! I think you will find Cocchi to be a nice substitution. Bonal also makes an interesting variation. I also think this is the kind of drink that benefits from a quality triple sec and not sure if Hiram Walker is up to the task. I find every ingredient plays an important role in maintaining the balance and tend to go with Cointreau or Combier here if I can.

I have heard Pacifique is a great American made absinthe and would love to try it at some point although the absinthe is the one element I don't sweat to much as long as it is a decent brand.

Grain Belt
01-13-2014, 11:50
I have been on an Old Fashioned kick recently. My wife and I have enjoyed Old Fitz BIB in them the last week or so. I do a hint of simple syrup, 4 shakes Angustora, two shakes of Fees orange bitters, and two shakes of Fees cherry bitters. Topped with just a splash of water or none at all on the rocks and well stirred they are quite enjoyable. Another buddy loved the same thing as above with a splash of ginger ale instead of water at the end. It was pretty good if you have someone at a party with a little sweeter palate.

matthewdc
01-16-2014, 07:13
Last night I tried to replicate a manhattan I had recently at a restaurant. I infused some Rittenhouse BiB rye with Ceylon and thyme. Added Carpano Antica vermouth, bittercube cherry bark vanilla bitters, and finished with homemade bourbon cocktail cherries. it was definitely very close to the original--very good!

smokinjoe
01-17-2014, 15:54
Whoa Baby, what a week. Readying myself for a weekend of well earned R&R with an Old Crotchety Fashioned. :yum:

higgins
01-19-2014, 15:54
Mixed up a Sazerac for watching football. I didn't have any lemons, so I just dabbed a bit of Fee Bros. lemon bitters around the rim of the glass. Worked pretty well, I might prefer them this way!

dreasoner
01-20-2014, 16:55
Great way to finish off a bottle of Rittenhouse rye. Trying my hand at a Manhattan, got a little full but it's a Monday!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Trey Manthey
01-20-2014, 19:44
Great way to finish off a bottle of Rittenhouse rye. Trying my hand at a Manhattan, got a little full but it's a Monday!

Looks a little frothy. Try it stirred instead of shaken next time.

smokinjoe
01-20-2014, 20:18

Interesting. Please help a cocktail doofus, here...:D It seems you're suggesting that "frothy" (shaken) is not a good thing? How come?

dreasoner
01-20-2014, 20:19

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Trey Manthey
01-20-2014, 22:50
Interesting. Please help a cocktail doofus, here...:D It seems you're suggesting that "frothy" (shaken) is not a good thing? How come?

The general rule for cocktails is that recipes that call for fruit juice/citrus should be shaken. Anything that only contains spirits should be stirred. It's easier to control dilution and temperature when stirring, and you will end up with a clear drink, without froth or bubbles.

tanstaafl2
01-21-2014, 10:37

The general rule for cocktails is that recipes that call for fruit juice/citrus should be shaken. Anything that only contains spirits should be stirred. It's easier to control dilution and temperature when stirring, and you will end up with a clear drink, without froth or bubbles.

Indeed very true. Perhpas the only other cocktail rule is that rules about cocktails are made to be broken! If you want your drink shaken, not stirred, Mr. Bond you can certainly do that.

Although I agree that a Manhattan tends to work better stirred!

devillighter
01-21-2014, 13:10
Another snowy day, another hot cocktail from LeNell Camacho Santa Ana - today a Hot Horchata: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2013/11/hot-horchata.html

Alphanumeric
01-21-2014, 14:46
Never tried to approximate Yellow using the Green since I have access to both but that is a thought I suppose! Will see if I can remember to experiment some time this week.

Yes, this is a drink where a "big gin" as you describe it is generally needed! I think you will find Cocchi to be a nice substitution. Bonal also makes an interesting variation. I also think this is the kind of drink that benefits from a quality triple sec and not sure if Hiram Walker is up to the task. I find every ingredient plays an important role in maintaining the balance and tend to go with Cointreau or Combier here if I can.

I have heard Pacifique is a great American made absinthe and would love to try it at some point although the absinthe is the one element I don't sweat to much as long as it is a decent brand.

BIG gin is actually the name of it, produced by Captive Spirits. Naturally, the profile follows the name (well, vice-versa). Usually any more than a quarter part orange liqueur and I'd switch to a better one. HW did appear to hold up fine, so I'll have to try it with Cointreau. I could see how that little added sharpness would benefit the drink.

Pacifique is my first and only absinthe. It has received favorable reviews and my limited experience would not disagree that it is a tasty beverage. It is currently being employed in a Mauresque, which is equal parts absinthe and orgeat, topped with water. It's a nice variant to the standard absinthe drip.

smokinjoe
01-21-2014, 14:55

Thanks, Trey. My cocktail skills are clumsy and amateurish. I honestly didn't realize that there are rules or preferences on how to mix a cocktail, other than you should stay away from the shaker when making one utilizing Tonic Water, Club Soda, or Pop. Personally, my rule has been to use one when I figure Mrssmokinjoe is close to doing the dishes, and I can get out of having to clean it.

I do like the tiny bubbles in my drinks that a severe slashing in the shaker imparts. Seems more savory...special... Maybe, I have latent "air-time" preferences. :lol:

Trey Manthey
01-21-2014, 15:17
Perhaps the term "rule of thumb" is more accurate. No one except a cocktail nerd would call you out on it.

I just thought of a top 5 "mistakes" that people usually make when mixing cocktails:

1. Not using fresh citrus
2. Shaking drinks that should be stirred
3. Using crappy ice or the wrong type of ice
4. Using stale vermouth
5. Not chilling/diluting enough

Oboe Cadobro
01-22-2014, 10:43
4. Using stale vermouth

...or shitty vermouth like Cinzano, Noilly Prat, etc.

Best to use a premium vermouth like Vya, Dolin, Carpano, etc., which are made using quality wine and botanicals, unlike the two above....you will see a significant increase in the quality of your cocktails and your drinking pleasure.

Grain Belt
01-23-2014, 07:07
Noilly Prat makes damn good vermouth for damn good Manhattans in my humble opinion. Of course, living in the wilds of Minnesota might make one appreciate having anything to drink at all. 3 oz. EWBIB or OGDBIB or HHBIB, 3/4 oz. Noilly Prat sweet vermouth, and four shakes of Angustora bitters puts a little lead in my pencil. :cool:

Trey Manthey
01-23-2014, 09:21
I'd take Noilly over Martini & Rossi or Cinzano...

...but Dolin, Cocchi di Torino, or Carpano Antica are just better. Vya and Contratto also good, but I haven't mixed with them much.

Grain Belt
01-23-2014, 09:49

...but Dolin, Cocchi di Torino, or Carpano Antica are just better. Vya and Contratto also good, but I haven't mixed with them much.

They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts. :lol:

smokinjoe
01-23-2014, 12:35
They may be better, I've had two of those sacred three. But I was commenting on another board member posting that Noilly is "shitty" Sometimes, out here in the sticks, you can't get the higher end vermouths. Also sometimes one cant afford them. As I mentioned in my previous post, sometimes one must strive for "damn good" because "best" is not possible due to several factors. Don't get me wrong. I would love to party with someone who is pouring Manhattans with Carpano, PVW15 and some esotaric barrel aged small batch extra special rare edition bitters. It just isn't going to happen at my house or haunts. :lol:

I feel your pain. But, look at the bright side. Your geographic location does provide you an abundant selection of ice...:D

Grain Belt
01-23-2014, 13:12
I feel your pain. But, look at the bright side. Your geographic location does provide you an abundant selection of ice...:D

1 out of 5 ain't bad (According to Trey's five cocktail essentials) I am going to start to play up Northern MN's pure ice. Some of the oak for bourbon comes from MN too! It is kind of funny though. Comparing my cocktail knowledge to the coasts and Chicago, I am some kind of backwoods sasquatch. In my area I am some kind of cocktail snob if I pour a mid-shelf bourbon with some decent M & R vermouth or Noilly Pratt and have a few types of bitters on hand! The nice thing is my palate really resides in the mid to low shelf. Hell, I even enjoyed an Old Crow Reserve Manhattan the other night and an Old Fashioned last eve.

tanstaafl2
01-23-2014, 14:28

There are many good vermouths and sometimes discretion is the better part of vermouth! Ones like Carpano, Cocchi di Torino or another favorite like Punt e Mes bring their own agenda to a drink. Sometimes that is good. Occasionally it is not.

I would rate Noilly Prat as a pretty decent option, especially with the new deja vu all over again reformulation. For cocktails go with what is now called Original Dry and leave the "Extra Dry" for the old school American martini crowd.

Oboe Cadobro
01-23-2014, 15:19
In my area I am some kind of cocktail snob if I pour a mid-shelf bourbon with some decent M & R vermouth or Noilly Pratt and have a few types of bitters on hand!

LMFAO! :slappin:

Yeah, we're kinda spoiled in the Bay Area with all the uppity bars, slick cocktailians, and their esoteric recipes for infused herbal essences...:drinking:

Had a killer Manhattan the other night with OGD 114, Cocchi di Torino, and Stirrings Blood Orange bitters that was quite spicy warming and tasty. :yum:

Daisy Bukes
01-23-2014, 18:05
Bay Area native here :)

My winter cocktails are probably more summer appropriate; I spent December in SE Asia where tasting Singapore Slings became my microhobby. I also invented (?) a cocktail with mangosteen juice, gin, and bitter lemon flavored soda water.

Ishad
01-25-2014, 12:42
Enjoying a glass of rock and rye. Might try it again without the horehound.

https://imbibemagazine.com/Rock-Rye-Recipe

Tony
01-25-2014, 14:49
I had this today down at the Two James Distillery-

Disco in the DMedjool date and Raisin infused Grass Widow Bourbon, Agave Simple, Lemon, House Bitters

smokinjoe
01-25-2014, 16:51
'Nuther Old Crotchety Fashioned. Combo of the last pours from an OGD 114, WTRB, and 4R1. Appropriately stirred. I'm shakin' the shite out of the Angostura again, though. If I keep this up, I'm gonna need another bottle of it pretty soon. Does it come in a Family Size?

Fangzilla
01-25-2014, 18:50
'Nuther Old Crotchety Fashioned. Combo of the last pours from an OGD 114, WTRB, and 4R1. Appropriately stirred. I'm shakin' the shite out of the Angostura again, though. If I keep this up, I'm gonna need another bottle of it pretty soon. Does it come in a Family Size?
:lol:

I have a 10oz (300ml) bottle of Angostura that's lasted me for a couple of years. What size is yours?

Fangzilla
01-25-2014, 18:54
Hey, and congrats on being Bourbonian of the Year 2013! Freshly-minted!

onemorepour
01-26-2014, 03:49
Summer sippin a sort of sidecar for a warm night of seafood BBQin
1oz agnostura 1919
1.5oz delord xo
1oz cointreau
Juice of a lime
Shaken/served in a champagne flute,

petrel800
01-26-2014, 16:43
Bufala Negra with a quick appetizer before dinner. Dinner should be good, pistachio crusted beef tenderloin. Got a nice Columbia, WA "Bordeaux" blend to go with dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higgins
01-26-2014, 19:01
Winding down the weekend with an Old Crotchety Fashioned, this time with Old Forester Signature. I'm having the same problem as Joe though, I just killed my bottle of Angostura. These puny 4oz bottles just aren't going to cut it.

devillighter
01-26-2014, 19:50

The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/reintroducing-noilly-prat-extra-dry-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.

tanstaafl2
01-27-2014, 08:44
The last time I had Noilly Prat Dry I was very impressed for the price - not up to dolin dry per se, but quality stuff! What I can't figure out is if this was before or after the "recipe change" (or reversion) in the US - see http://www.alcademics.com/2013/08/reintroducing-noilly-prat-extra-dry-vermouth.html for the confusing details. Whichever the brand - for me the importance of vermouth is all about freshness - buy from a store that has a lot of turnover - keep it in the fridge - and drink it relatively quickly.

I try to get 375's when I can unless I am reasonably sure I am going to go through a 750 quickly and find that a vacuvin along with refrigeration really can help extend freshness. But when in doubt vermouth with a splash of soda or better yet bitter lemon tonic and a twist helps keep any excess to a minimum!

Gillman
01-27-2014, 08:53
I seem to come back to the Sazerac now, almost always. Occasionally a Manhattan.

Gary

Gillman
01-30-2014, 16:13
A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard. :)

Gary

squire
01-30-2014, 18:47
Yet we face the struggle armed with manful fortitude or at least filled with something strong.

tanstaafl2
01-31-2014, 11:48
A Dry Martini, composed of about a half-dozen each gins and vodkas (more vodka than gin, I am aiming for the James Bond martini #2 that created the type), just a touch of Martini vermouth, and a long swirl of lemon rind. Two rocks. Really good light tasty cocktail, quite different from the hard rock whiskey cocktails I generally favour but as good in its way.

Also, I feel the balance of the liquors (mouth feel, flavour) is exactly right, and it took a while to get there.

Life is hard. :)

Gary

Wasn't that martini still more gin than vodka? Sounds almost a bit Vesper-ish if you were to sub Cochi for the vermouth.

smokinjoe
02-09-2014, 14:08
A Bloody Mary with Mellow Corn.
Zing Zang BM mix
Mellow Corn
Coupla shakes of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire
Coupla shakes Bitter Truth Celery Bitters
A few sprinkles Old Bay Seasoning
And, a squeeze of lime

The Mellow Corn is perfect in this cocktail. :yum:

devillighter
02-09-2014, 14:48
Made an 'Up to Date' using specifications from the PDT cocktail book. This 'old' label WT rye is just too good in cocktails (and in general) - should have stocked up even more than I have.

Grain Belt
03-07-2014, 07:50
Made some Old Fashioneds for my beautiful wife and I. Rocks, a little simple syrup, several dashes Fees Orange bitters and Angostura bitters, a cherry, a healthy pour of Bulleit bourbon, and a splash of water for the wife's. They go down a little too easy :)

MarkEdwards
03-08-2014, 19:38
I've become rather fond of the Woodford maple Manhattan at the local Saltgrass steakhouse.

Old Dusty
03-10-2014, 17:40
Ok so.. 1) this is a summer cocktail and 2) I haven't tried it yet. But, the pic/description is so damn funny I had to post it.
(attribution to Queen City Cocktails blog)
(hint click on the pic)

Blackberry Bourbon Fizz

4-5 fresh blackberries
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
3/4 ounce ginger liqueur
club soda
fresh basil
Muddle the blackberries at the bottom of a glass.
Fill the glass with ice and add the spirits.
Top with club soda and stir well.
Garnish with a fresh piece of basil.

DaveOfAtl
03-11-2014, 04:27
Ha! That is pretty fantastic.

r60slash5
03-12-2014, 02:36
Old Fashioned Rough cute cane sugar cube soaked with Angostura bitters, muddled a small orange slice. Swapped off between SB 60/40 Weller blend and WT 101 rye both were tastey.

Ted

Trey Manthey
03-12-2014, 09:16
Was in the mood for something tangy and sweet last night, so I whipped up a Eulogy, the cousin of the Last Word. I haven't found much use for this bottle of Batavia Arrack otherwise.

DaveOfAtl
03-12-2014, 09:41
Been making the Kirkwood quite a bit lately. It is a variation on the Red Hook created by a great local bartender and named after an Atlanta neighborhood. Really good.

- 1.5 oz. Rittenhouse Rye (or other high proof rye)- .5 oz. Punt e Mes
- .5 oz. Cynar
- .5 oz St. Germain
- 2 dashes grapefruit bitters

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice. Stir 30 seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with grapefruit peel.

chrisg
03-13-2014, 09:23
Heaven and Seven with some Heaven Hill Gold last night.

tanstaafl2
03-13-2014, 10:26
Out on the town last night at tthe Pinewood where it was half price whiskey night. Featured where the good old FRYL and Riverboat Rye, a young green MGPI rye.

For half price who could resist!

So I started with a Quadrophenia (somebody clearly likes to use musical and literary references for their drink names...) and then it devolved into getting the bartender to create something just for me using 2 different base spirits. That led to an interesting concoction of the Riverboat Rye, The Scarlet Ibis rum, Averna, CioCiara, Bittermans Tiki bitters and a float of Smith & Cross rum. Surprisingly good and except for the bitters, which i can find, something I can make at home. Added on top of the Irish whiskey tasting earlier in the day and after that things got a bit hazy...

:shocked:

tanstaafl2
03-13-2014, 10:33
Was in the mood for something tangy and sweet last night, so I whipped up a Eulogy, the cousin of the Last Word. I haven't found much use for this bottle of Batavia Arrack otherwise.

That can easily be remedied if you feel at all adventurous! For example:

Arrack Attack
1.5 oz Batavia arrack
0.5 Cynar
0.5 Canton ginger liqueur
0.5 lime juice
1 dash Fee Bros. Whiskey barrel aged bitters
Pinch of salt
Shake, strain into a low ball with rocks
Garnish with slice of lime

Or if you are feeling REALLY adventurous...

Airbag
1 oz reposado tequila (Espolon perhaps or if you are feeling adventurous the original called for El Tesoro)
0.5 Batavia arrak
0.5 Mezcal (Sombra or Vida. Need something that can hold its own!)
0.75 Carpano Antica
0.25 All spice dram (not too much because this liqueur can hold its own with most anything!)
0.25 Benedicine
1 dash chocolate bitters
Stir and serve up

So named because it would seem there is no way in hell you could survive this car wreck collection of ingredients and yet somehow you do!

Trey Manthey
03-13-2014, 11:59
That can easily be remedied if you feel at all adventurous!

Nice! Thank you for the recipes.

tanstaafl2
03-13-2014, 12:23

Nice! Thank you for the recipes.

My pleasure! I hope you like them but know that they are more "new school" style cocktails that emphasize a drier, somewhat bitter and sometimes smokey style of cocktails.

Tangy they are, sweet generally not quite so much!

Red One
03-14-2014, 17:17
Been spending a lot of time on these pages lately. Decided I was going to cure my "too many open bottles" by making some cocktails. So, first up tonight after reading many recipes on here was a Manhattan.

3 to 1 Sazerac Rye to Sweet Vermouth (Carpano Antica)
Few Dashes of Angostura bitters
Few Dashes of Regans Orange bitters
one cherry
2 orange slices and a several ice cubes.

A very tasty mix! Looking forward to some experimenting. Up next, Old Fashioned.

smokinjoe
03-14-2014, 19:16
A great dinner with Mrssmokinjoe at Muss & Turner's. (the flounder was fabulous, by the way) Had a couple of their delicious "Chester Copperpots"...Woodford, Punt e Mes, Luxardo Marachino, and orange. Nice rocks glass and golf ball size, round, ice ball. Loved Them. Then headed back to the cool speakeasy-type bar for an ECBP neat, as a night cap. Mrssmokinjoe drove home...:D.

DaveOfAtl
03-14-2014, 21:55
A great dinner with Mrssmokinjoe at Muss & Turner's. (the flounder was fabulous, by the way) Had a couple of their delicious "Chester Copperpots"...Woodford, Punt e Mes, Luxardo Marachino, and orange. Nice rocks glass and golf ball size, round, ice ball. Loved Them. Then headed back to the cool speakeasy-type bar for an ECBP neat, as a night cap. Mrssmokinjoe drove home...:D.

Sounds like a Red Hook made with bourbon rather than rye. Bet that was good. Love Muss & Turners.

tylermke
03-15-2014, 14:53
Mixed up a decent Old Fashioned while watching the Mich St and WI NCAA game. Used Four Roses Small Batch which has enough spice to make a decent cocktail. Thumbs up!

chrisg
03-16-2014, 07:00
Villa Park

Very simple:
3oz BIB bourbon
1oz pineapple juice
1oz orange juice.

Blend together and pour over ice.

Phil T
03-16-2014, 12:02
My go to Sunday morning cocktail of late has been a bloody mary. I used to enjoy them quite frequently (and made with vodka), just got away from having them. While vacationing over the holidays, I was introduced to a bourbon bloody, yummy delicious.

2oz AAA
V8 juice
splash of Worcestershire
splash of hot sauce
half a spoon of fresh horseradish
a good shake of Beau Monde

Garnish with a strip of bacon

TunnelTiger
03-17-2014, 08:55
My go to Sunday morning cocktail of late has been a bloody mary. I used to enjoy them quite frequently (and made with vodka), just got away from having them. While vacationing over the holidays, I was introduced to a bourbon bloody, yummy delicious.

2oz AAA
V8 juice
splash of Worcestershire
splash of hot sauce
half a spoon of fresh horseradish
a good shake of Beau Monde

Garnish with a strip of bacon

A strip of bacon, now that will great with my two jalepeno stuffed olives

Lord I do love this site!

Trey Manthey
03-18-2014, 17:48
Or if you are feeling REALLY adventurous...

Airbag
1 oz reposado tequila (Espolon perhaps or if you are feeling adventurous the original called for El Tesoro)
0.5 Batavia arrak
0.5 Mezcal (Sombra or Vida. Need something that can hold its own!)
0.75 Carpano Antica
0.25 All spice dram (not too much because this liqueur can hold its own with most anything!)
0.25 Benedicine
1 dash chocolate bitters
Stir and serve up

So named because it would seem there is no way in hell you could survive this car wreck collection of ingredients and yet somehow you do!

I picked up some Allspice Dram just to try this one, and aside from the silly amount of time it took to prepare, it's good, like a smoky and spicy Manhattan. You forgot to mention the garnish though, which I read from the Cocktail Virgin Slut article: a cherry soaked in cask strength Laphroaig, set aflame!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/19/tu7yvare.jpg

Tucker
03-19-2014, 05:02
Had an excellent Manhattan with dinner at Grange in Sacramento. I recommend the pork chop...it's 'Flinstonian'. Massive. The bar has a small but good selection of bourbon, including FR 125th.

tanstaafl2
03-19-2014, 07:24
I picked up some Allspice Dram just to try this one, and aside from the silly amount of time it took to prepare, it's good, like a smoky and spicy Manhattan.

You forgot to mention the garnish though, which I read from the Cocktail Virgin Slut article: a cherry soaked in cask strength Laphroaig, set aflame!

Not sure I was even aware of that addition but will make a note! It is a bit laborious but glad you liked it.

smokinjoe
03-22-2014, 14:10
Simple and refreshing...Willett 4 yr rye, Gosling's ginger beer, and Fee Bros cherry bitters over crushed ice. The LDI ryes really shine when mixed with ginger ale and ginger beer, IMO. The brightness of the LDI's really sparkle.

tylermke
03-22-2014, 21:52
Made a few Manhattans tonight for some friends after some great guidance from Bruce. Turned out better than expected!

DaveOfAtl
03-23-2014, 04:50
I made several gin-based cocktails last night, including my favorite Corpse Reviver #2. The clear winner of the night, however, was the Necromancer. The recipe can be found here. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/03/06/absinthe-anyone-try-necromancer-cocktail-recipe

I used St. George absinthe, subbed St. Germain for the elderflower liqueur listed, and subbed the more interesting Kina L'Avion D'or for the Lillet Blanc. What a wonderful cocktail which really showcases the subtleties of the absinthe. Don't forget the dashes of gin. I forgot to add it on the second one I made and it wasn't as good.

upStomp
03-23-2014, 17:45
Having some Dickel 12 with Ginger and a couple dashes of orange bitters. Great primer waiting for Walking Dead to start.

tanstaafl2
03-24-2014, 07:24
Ah, the Necromancer, the high powered cousin of the Corpse Reviver #2 that swaps the roles of the gin and absinthe!

Haven't tried the Tempus Fugit Kina L'Avion D'or. Is it better than Cocchi Americano as a replacement for the somewhat lackluster current day Lillet?

I made several gin-based cocktails last night, including my favorite Corpse Reviver #2. The clear winner of the night, however, was the Necromancer. The recipe can be found here. http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/03/06/absinthe-anyone-try-necromancer-cocktail-recipe

I used St. George absinthe, subbed St. Germain for the elderflower liqueur listed, and subbed the more interesting Kina L'Avion D'or for the Lillet Blanc. What a wonderful cocktail which really showcases the subtleties of the absinthe. Don't forget the dashes of gin. I forgot to add it on the second one I made and it wasn't as good.

DaveOfAtl
03-25-2014, 21:10
I'm loving the L'Avion D'Or! Blows away the current Lillet and as good or better than Cocchi Americano. I've been drinking it over ice as an aperitif. Complex herbal notes and bitterness from the quinine. And it loves gin.

onemorepour
03-27-2014, 02:25
An old fashioned made from WTR101, fees orange bitters and a pomegranate mollases in the place of a sugar syrup. The tartness of the pomegranate is complimeneted nicely by the orange bitters, and the rye whiskey adds to the overall earthiness of the cocktail, I think a bourbon would probably be too contrasting for this mix, maybe not, only one way to find out I guess.

tylermke
03-28-2014, 16:35
Having some cocktails to celebrate my wife's new job. Dirty Martini for her and Manhattan for me. Cheers!

WAINWRIGHT
03-28-2014, 17:45
Having some cocktails to celebrate my wife's new job. Dirty Martini for her and Manhattan for me. Cheers!
Congrats and the Manny is an excellent choice!

tylermke
03-28-2014, 18:16
Congrats and the Manny is an excellent choice!

Thanks buddy! It sure is going down pretty well. Already on my second one. :)

tanstaafl2
03-29-2014, 12:49
Thanks buddy! It sure is going down pretty well. Already on my second one. :)

What did you decide on as your go to formula? Or have you been experimenting? That is what I enjoy most, making a small change with each cocktail make. Different vermouth, different bitters, maybe trying an Amaro. And did you find any replacement cherries yet?

tylermke
03-29-2014, 18:29
What did you decide on as your go to formula? Or have you been experimenting? That is what I enjoy most, making a small change with each cocktail make. Different vermouth, different bitters, maybe trying an Amaro. And did you find any replacement cherries yet?

So far I find that I like somewhere between 3:1 and 2:1 and Angostura over Peychauds. Still light on my cocktail supplies/ingredients, but each week I try to add something different. Tonight I'm going to try with some Fee Brothers or perhaps change the ratios a little.

I did manage to find some replacement cherries this afternoon. :)

smokinjoe
03-30-2014, 14:34
I have entirely switched over to corn whiskey for my Bloody Marys. Today, it was Dixie Dew for the corn, and I also embellished by dropping in a couple slices of bacon.. . O! M! G!!!!! Awesome!! Somebody here, suggested this addition a little bit back, and it is fabulous. The bacon just amps up the savoriness of the cocktail, and blends perfectly with the corn whiskey. Only downside, was that it got a little unsettling enjoying this drink with a Sheltie eyeballin' me the entire time...:D. Luckily, I cooked up a few extra pieces for her. :lol:

Harry in WashDC
03-30-2014, 15:08
Like, what? Whole slices? How many is "a couple"? Do you cook it first?

Inquiring minds want/need to know before they try this out. I have some Balcones True Blue 100 (love the slightly burnt popcorn taste) that I've only had neat but, well, it's bacon we're talking here.

[Couldn't find my tongue-in-cheek smiley to insert here. Maybe a smarta$$ will do.]

Phil T
03-30-2014, 15:47
I have entirely switched over to corn whiskey for my Bloody Marys. Today, it was Dixie Dew for the corn, and I also embellished by dropping in a couple slices of bacon.. . O! M! G!!!!! Awesome!! Somebody here, suggested this addition a little bit back, and it is fabulous. The bacon just amps up the savoriness of the cocktail, and blends perfectly with the corn whiskey. Only downside, was that it got a little unsettling enjoying this drink with a Sheltie eyeballin' me the entire time...:D. Luckily, I cooked up a few extra pieces for her. :lol:

Alright Joe, you just blew my mind. I posted a couple weeks ago about having Sunday morning bourbon bloody's garnished with bacon and how yummy they are. Never thought of corn whiskey, but dang if doesn't make sense. And I always have some in stock.

Just finishing up a Sazerac rye Manhattan, and it looks like another bloody is in order, smokinjoe style.

What's a Sheltie?

tanstaafl2
03-30-2014, 16:20
What's a Sheltie?

A collie (as in the dog, like Lassie) that got washed and left in the dryer too long!

:slappin:

BFerguson
03-30-2014, 17:20
not bourbon related, but It meets my definition of a cockation, more than a single spirit and ice.

Put some Averna and Chartreuse together over ice and a slash of water to top it off. Made for a nice sipper while grilling.

I've really found that I enjoy "bitters/amaro/herbals" before dinner to wet the appetite a bit.

Tonight it did not fail.

That and the T-bone with a spinach/bacon/shroom salad with homemade blue cheese dressing didn't disappoint either.

whew!!

B

smokinjoe
03-30-2014, 18:19
Alright Joe, you just blew my mind. I posted a couple weeks ago about having Sunday morning bourbon bloody's garnished with bacon and how yummy they are. Never thought of corn whiskey, but dang if doesn't make sense. And I always have some in stock.

Just finishing up a Sazerac rye Manhattan, and it looks like another bloody is in order, smokinjoe style.

What's a Sheltie?

Well, now I know who to thank for the bacon idea! Thanks, Phil! The corn whiskey works great. Gives the drink a heck of a lot more body and flavor.

Harry, the bacon is cooked. I did 2 pieces. I microwaved them, and they were just fine, as well as being easy. Made 'em crispyish. The cool and serendipitous thing is (and, I will repeat next time...), I crossed the pieces by accident on the plate while MWing, so they stuck together. Made for a nice "V" formation that sat up in the glass nicely, and allowed me to pick off some pieces for the aforementioned Sheltie (Shetland sheepdog, miniature collie, cool rainy weather lovin'-barkin'-shadow chasin', spaz...) :D

Harry in WashDC
03-30-2014, 18:35
Thank you, Joe, sir. Your recipe steps for the bacon garnish are now on a 3X5 card titled "Smokin' Bloody Mary" featuring corn whiskey. We always include a source on the cards. We never let them out of our sight, but we hate not knowing where we got each recipe. Dunno why. Whatever, you are now part of our bar.:bowdown:

smokinjoe
03-30-2014, 18:52
Thank you, Joe, sir. Your recipe steps for the bacon garnish are now on a 3X5 card titled "Smokin' Bloody Mary" featuring corn whiskey. We always include a source on the cards. We never let them out of our sight, but we hate not knowing where we got each recipe. Dunno why. Whatever, you are now part of our bar.:bowdown:

I am honored! :toast:

Red One
03-31-2014, 18:11
Having a simple Old Fashioned with EWSB right now. But, this bacon Corn Whiskey Bloody Mary has me salivating.

Harry in WashDC
04-01-2014, 07:26
I tried the CWBM w/bacon using Virginia Lightning I bought years ago that got lost in the back of a cabinet (pint bottle so I didn't see it). Excellent. Don't think I'll ever use vodka in a BM again.

TunnelTiger
04-01-2014, 16:36
Having a simple Old Fashioned with EWSB right now. But, this bacon Corn Whiskey Bloody Mary has me salivating.

Works real well substituting WT101 for the corn too.