PDA

View Full Version : Jack Daniles Gold no27

Andre28
04-30-2014, 03:40
The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

HighInTheMtns
04-30-2014, 07:03
Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.

VAGentleman
04-30-2014, 07:30
Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.

tanstaafl2
04-30-2014, 11:27
Interesting. Too bad it's only 80 proof. And too bad its bland. I see they have a barrel aged Rye coming out shortly also from the same link you supplied.

The "rested"rye is out at 2yo as a "work in progress". Come complete with a bunch of bananas!

Andre28
04-30-2014, 20:11
Gentleman Jack with a maple barrel finish, pretty much... And your description pretty much says the same thing.

I think it is just the No7 with an additional maple barrel aging. Probably only a few months.

onemorepour
05-01-2014, 04:04
The marketing spiel is here:

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/gold

Picked this up at Sydney Duty Free. Gotta say on the whole, pretty disappointing. The Silver Select at $20 a bottle less would have been a much better choice. The double filtering seems to rob more of the character, with the double barreling not adding anything. It is also 80 proof, so that isnt helping either. On the whole id say it is very smooth, but quite bland. Ill give it another try in a few weeks maybe and write some tasting notes (if any occur).

Whoah that was more than the silver select? Gotta love their marketing department

Andre28
05-01-2014, 06:15
yeah, thats twice now, paid a pretty penny for a gold medal something or other once before. Thats it now. Mix number 7 with coke, or get the SB silver select for on the rocks. Probably wont be for a while though. Ill give this gold another try now and again, but I see it becoming the whiskey in home cocktails like sours or old fashions.

Im just glad I didnt get more than 1. We are allowed 2.25 litres back in the country duty free, so I was seriously considering getting more than 1.