jeff
12-03-2004, 06:31
What brand of glass is that Jim?

jbutler
12-03-2004, 07:30
It's a Reidel.

jeff
12-03-2004, 08:06
One of the stemless wine glasses? They seem lousy for wine, but I thought they would be nice for whiskey. Do you like them?

jbutler
12-03-2004, 09:06
In my opinion, they kick the crap out of the Reidel bourbon glass. YMMV.

bluesbassdad
12-03-2004, 10:22
Jim,

That's a nice photo and a very appealing glass, as well. It looks like a combination of the Reidel and the Glencairn.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

bluesbassdad
12-03-2004, 10:26
Jim,

I agree without even laying hands on the glass you have.

I always feel as though I'm on the verge of snapping the dainty, little stem of my Reidel glasses. When I'm drinking a manly drink, I want the feel of the glass to be compatible.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

jbutler
12-03-2004, 11:00
The box says "reisling/sauvignon blanc #414/15"

jeff
12-03-2004, 11:18
They have those all over the place here in Lexington. I'm heading to "The Wine Shoppe" in Nicholasville after work, so I think I'll pick up a set and give them a try.

greenbob
12-03-2004, 11:18
I always feel as though I'm on the verge of snapping the dainty, little stem of my Reidel glasses. When I'm drinking a manly drink, I want the feel of the glass to be compatible.

I think that glass is beautiful. I very recently read that you're supposed to hold the glass by the stem so that the warmth of the hand does not heat up the liquid. But I don't remember if the writer was talking about wine or whiskey or both. But with my recent habit of heating Wild Turkey 101 in the microwave for 8 seconds on cold nights, I can see the advantage of getting a little hand heat in these glasses. Plus I agree with Dave about the feel of the glass in your hand.

pepcycle
12-03-2004, 11:52
I've got a few of these and the bowls are still fragile. I haven't broken one yet. I have broken the regular Vinum series Riedels, but never at the stem, always the rim.
I've tried them with bourbon but the ones I have are too large. I need to go with something that will concentrate the nose better. Jim's are smaller than mine. I may have to buy some more. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

NeoTexan
12-03-2004, 12:25
Quit bragging! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

musher
12-03-2004, 13:43
I very recently read that you're supposed to hold the glass by the stem so that the warmth of the hand does not heat up the liquid. But I don't remember if the writer was talking about wine or whiskey or both. But with my recent habit of heating Wild Turkey 101 in the microwave for 8 seconds on cold nights, I can see the advantage of getting a little hand heat in these glasses. Plus I agree with Dave about the feel of the glass in your hand.

I always refer to my Riedel Bourbon glasses as my whiskey snifters.

I was always under the impression that with a brandy snifter, you cup the bowl of the glass in the palm of your hand, allowing the stem to fit between your third and fourth fingers (ring and pinky fingers, if you prefer). That allows the warmth of your hand to warm the brandy.

I hold the Riedel Bourbon glasses the very same way, and absolutely love what the warming does to the nose and flavor of the whiskey. The narrow stem of the Riedel makes it fit between my fingers very nicely. I find myself cupping the glass in my hand for several minutes before I even begin to taste the contents.

TNbourbon
12-03-2004, 16:40
Great lighting on the photo, Jim -- nice landscape.

dgonano
12-03-2004, 20:33
The stemless Reidel glasses are being used at a few of the high-end restaurants in Baltimore. Reidel says they save on storage space.

The warmth of the palm of your hand would have an adverse effect on many wines. Reidel states the glass should be held above the wine level with your fingertips(with pinky raised).

I like rolypolys, so I will be buying a set.

gr8erdane
12-03-2004, 23:32
Dave, we can have yours etched with football helmet logos just like your Shell collectible roly-polys. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/stickpoke.gif

dgonano
12-03-2004, 23:57
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif I'll be bringing those gems to the Sampler.

gr8erdane
12-07-2004, 21:22
Just went out to eBay and checked on these Riedel O series glasses. An outfit called beveragefactory.com has them in several sizes with buy-it-now pricing of 16.95 or 18.95 a pair. After checking the sizes on the Riedel site, I opted for the Pinot Mebbiolo size of 112mm tall and 690ccm capacity. According to Riedel, Jim's handsome glass is 108mm x 375ccm. Hoping the extra capacity will let the bourbon breathe a little bit more and the greater inward turn will trap the luscious aromas for nosing. And Dave G would love the roly-polyness for sure.

TrueBarrel
12-08-2004, 06:52
[snip] I hold the Riedel Bourbon glasses the very same way, and absolutely love what the warming does to the nose and flavor of the whiskey. The narrow stem of the Riedel makes it fit between my fingers very nicely. I find myself cupping the glass in my hand for several minutes before I even begin to taste the contents.

I do the same thing; I find it has the most beneficial effect on higher-proof bourbons.

bluesbassdad
12-08-2004, 10:02
... and the greater inward turn will trap the luscious aromas for nosing.

Dane,

I'll be interested to hear how that turns out.

A time or two I've tried glasses with that characteristic, only to find that the aromas were too concentrated. I had to back away rather than almost poke my nose inside the glass, as is my custom.

No surprise to anyone, I'm sure, bourbon simply packs more aromatic punch than other beverages that such glasses may have been designed to enhance.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

musher
12-08-2004, 21:51
I find it has the most beneficial effect on higher-proof bourbons.

I agree wholeheartedly!

gr8erdane
01-01-2005, 23:22
Well, I recieved my previously backordered set of glasses just before New Years and I think I got goldfish bowls by mistake. The size glass Jim pictures would probably be vastly superior to these behemoths for both nosing and tasting. I may use these as pitchers instead.

pepcycle
01-04-2005, 15:02
Two Riedel white wine stemless glasses were in my stocking. Tested them on some BT, my new number 1-5 favorite bourbons, and they work great. Can't wait to test some different bourbons in them. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

kgiammarco
01-11-2005, 19:46
http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/ShowItem.aspx?productID=WG300-312

check these out... I picked some up in a local store, they seem similar in shape except for the 'flare' at the top...

-Chris

jbutler
01-11-2005, 20:59
Have a look at Riedel's Wine Tumbler (http://www.riedel.com/website/english/frameset/homeenglish/collections/riedel_collections/oriedel/oriedel.html) collection. I'm interested in the "fortified wine" glass; may have to pick a few of those up.

musher
01-12-2005, 22:25
http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/ShowItem.aspx?productID=WG300-312

They sure do know their whiskies!

"Suitable for Scotch Whisky Blends, Irish Whisky, Japanese Blended Whisky, and Tennessee & Canadian Bourbons."

I know I'd love to try one of those glasses out on all of my Tennessee and Canadian Bourbons. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/skep.gif

musher
01-12-2005, 22:30
I'm interested in the "fortified wine" glass; may have to pick a few of those up.

I see they also have that same item (414/60) recommended for spirits (just left of the "fortified wine" picture and link).

jbutler
01-13-2005, 07:40
Hmmm, I thought that was a thick glass base, but now I see it's a puddle of vodka or gin or somesuch.

Frankly, I could give a rat's ass how they label things; Riedel makes beautiful glassware.

leebo
02-10-2005, 17:24
I saw some of the Riedel Riesling "O" glasses at my local
liquor store and picked up 2 for 16 bucks. They seem to work
well for my bourbon stash. I keep it in my cellar and it needs to be warmed a little before enjoying.

TNbourbon
02-10-2005, 18:53
Here are my three favorite (or, at least, most used -- I sometimes break out a larger snifter when I'm sipping while reading, for example) bourbon glasses, which includes the Riedel (right). It is unquestionably the best nosing glass. But the $1 a glass piece (left) is better for flavor, with the $1.99 Towle wine taster (tall, in center) adequate both ways while holding a larger pour.
Any of them does fine.

wrbriggs
02-10-2005, 19:01
I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of 4 Riedel bourbon tasting glasses from Amazon.com (couldn't find them anywhere locally). They should be here in a week or so, since I was too cheap to spring for anything but the free shipping.

I'm assuming these are what folks have:
Amazon.com Riedel bourbon tasting glasses (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00021YHP6/qid=1108087190/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl79/102-1367774-0117759?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846)

mobourbon
02-10-2005, 21:26
I really like the Riedel bourbon glasses. I like the size. I'm on my second set of 4. I keep breaking them. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I've gotten mine at Ebay.

musher
02-10-2005, 22:22
I've been lucky. I have four, and broke one early on (bumped off of a table onto a hardwood floor), but the other three have survived for about nine months now!

I'm hooked on them! In fact, I'm taking one with me on a little trip we're taking next week.

Nokia
04-01-2005, 08:13
The Riedel "O" tumblers can be found in a on-line catalogue called The Wine Enthusiast. I have been using the Chardonnay/Viognier every since receiving one in a goody bag from a Macallan tasting last fall. While this version is fairly large (3 7/8H, 11 1/4 oz.) it has become my favorite glass for both whisky and whiskey.

Well the reason for the post was that this place sells a set of two of these Riedel glasses for $13.95 and has free shipping.

Also for those of you who like the Glencairn glasses and may enjoy a singlemalt or two, you may find leftover holiday sets of Glenmorangie 10yr that come with a set of 4 Glencairn glasses. The best part was that the whole thing was $30. I think the glasses are worth at least $20 alone.

Dave

TNbourbon
09-18-2005, 19:56
Well, I'm sold. I was lucky enough to be in the right place for Jim to offer me use of one of these Sauvignon Blanc/Riesling Riedel "O" glasses at the Festival, and enjoyed it all the time I was there. Tonight, I'm tasting the Joseph Finch side-by-side in it and a Riedel bourbon glass -- both are wonderful, but the nose from the O is rounder and more effusive, perhaps because you can stick your nose farther into the larger glass/opening.
I'll be buying some. Thanks, Jim.

AVB
09-25-2005, 14:14
Not cheap and I don't know who makes them but these (http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/shoppe/taster.html) are serious drinking glasses.

ratcheer
09-25-2005, 16:14
I must agree, AVB, those are some beautiful glasses.

Tim

kbuzbee
09-26-2005, 06:54
Not cheap and I don't know who makes them but these (http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/shoppe/taster.html) are serious drinking glasses.

Very nice! I need more glassware like a hole in the head but those are really nice looking (and, for me, the perfect size). They look similar to the Maison du Whisky Pure Glass without the reverse lip.

Ken

cas
09-27-2005, 13:28
I came close to ordering a pair. Then I realized I was looking at the shipping price, not the price of the glasses.
Craig

kbuzbee
09-27-2005, 13:40
Yeah, $60 for two shipping inc. Not the most expensive glass but it's up there.

Ken

gr8erdane
10-02-2005, 14:12
After using the Chardonnay O glass since just before BF, yesterday I found the fortified wine glasses at a local wine shop. To me they are almost the bourbon glass without the stem. The lip of the O fits just inside my bourbon glass lip but the glass has a "less fragile" feel to it than the bourbon glass to me. The depth is pretty much identical but a pour of the same size in each would breathe better in the O glass IMHO due to the flat bottom. I paid 8.99 each for two of them and am convinced that these are as fine a tasting vessel as I have found and would recommend these over the bourbon glass hands down.

greenbob
10-11-2005, 00:12
So did you pick some up? We've broken two Gleancairns here in the last 2 or 3 days, and I like the Reidel's you mention. Where do you get them where you live? (Since I live fairly close by, so to speak.)

JeffRenner
10-11-2005, 06:15
So did you pick some up? We've broken two Gleancairns here in the last 2 or 3 days, and I like the Reidel's you mention. Where do you get them where you live? (Since I live fairly close by, so to speak.)

My wife gave me two pair of these Riedel "O" Spirits glasses last month for my birthday. She got them from The Wine Enthusiast (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/) for $14.95 per pair, with free shipping.

I really like the size and feel of this glass, but I must warn you that it is rather more delicate than the Glencairn glass. I like this aspect of it (I find the Glencairn glass rather clunky and ugly), but if you broke the Glencairn, the Reidel may be even more problematic.

Jeff

jbutler
10-11-2005, 19:04
If you are referring to the fortified wine glass Bob, no I did not. Something I learned recently though; Bed bath and beyond carries a large selection of Reidel glassware.

greenbob
10-14-2005, 00:11
Thanks Jim. I'll check it out this Saturday.

gr8erdane
10-14-2005, 13:39
I checked out BB&B and sure enough they had the O glasses. They didn't have the fortified wine size, but the Chardonney is a fine drinking vessel.

greenbob
10-15-2005, 22:34
I didn't make it today. But Monday I'll be there.

TNbourbon
10-15-2005, 22:40
The BB&B closest to me (a full-sized one) had the array of O wine glasses (no port/fortified wine), so I bought 2 Sauvignon Blanc/Rieslings (2/$19.99) like the one Jim gave me last month. Using one right now. Like 'em.

TNbourbon
12-27-2005, 22:25
Last weekend, I purchased a pair of the spirits/fortified wines/cask aged brandies "O" glasses at the area BB&B. I like 'em -- think of a cross between the Riedel bourbon glasses and the "O" Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc ones. They are sort of the size of the former (without the stem), and the shape of the latter.
Alas, they are the same price as the half-again larger ones -- $19.99/pair.

mobourbon
12-28-2005, 10:20
Last week I got a set of 4 Riedel bourbon glasses signed by Fred Noe on Ebay for only $23.50!

barturtle
12-28-2005, 15:14
I didn't know that Fred's signature degraded the value of things that much. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

That's a great deal.

mobourbon
12-28-2005, 20:24
Every regular set I see on Ebay is always a lot higher, Tim. There's a set now, with 22 hours left, that's already $28.77. My gain, their loss!

JeffRenner
01-02-2006, 12:59
Last weekend, I purchased a pair of the spirits/fortified wines/cask aged brandies "O" glasses at the area BB&B. I like 'em -- think of a cross between the Riedel bourbon glasses and the "O" Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc ones. They are sort of the size of the former (without the stem), and the shape of the latter.
Alas, they are the same price as the half-again larger ones -- $19.99/pair.

I like mine, too. A lot - they are my standard glass for spirits now, unless I am adding ice. Sadly, I broke one from being a little careless washing it.

As I noted in a post in october in this thread, you can get them from The Wine Enthusiast (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/) for $14.95/pair with free shipping.

Jeff

gr8erdane
01-02-2006, 20:32
I was at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and they had a complete O series tasting set of two of each glass, including the fortified wine/beverage glass for 99.99. They have them advertised on opening web page right now as well for that price. 10 glasses total in five different sizes. Great glasses in sizes to fit any mood.

Whiskey River
04-30-2006, 10:34
I like mine, too. A lot - they are my standard glass for spirits now, unless I am adding ice. Sadly, I broke one from being a little careless washing it.

As I noted in a post in october in this thread, you can get them from The Wine Enthusiast (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/) for $14.95/pair with free shipping.

Jeff

Just ordered a set of 2.

Thanks for the tip!

GoodDrinkin
05-01-2006, 07:09
Anyone here try the Single Malt Scotch glasses? I like them quite a bit for bourbon and scotch. I do want to try the Bourbon glasses though.

I also like to use Reidel Port glasses for drinking whiskey, especially Cognac.

I've never liked the big bowl brandy snifters. Too much air on the whiskey IMO and I personally don't like to heat up the whiskey with my hand.

TimmyBoston
05-30-2006, 01:47
Anyone here try the Single Malt Scotch glasses? I like them quite a bit for bourbon and scotch. I do want to try the Bourbon glasses though.

I also like to use Reidel Port glasses for drinking whiskey, especially Cognac.

I've never liked the big bowl brandy snifters. Too much air on the whiskey IMO and I personally don't like to heat up the whiskey with my hand.

I have a pair of the Riedel Single Malt Whisky glasses and I absolutely love them for Scotch, but I don't care for them for bourbon as much as I like the Riedel Cognac Henessy Glasses. It holds the bouquet tremendously and it a delight to drink from. I personally dont recommend the Riedel bourbon glasses, both the Single Malt glasses and all the cognac glasses are far superiour IMO. I agree with you about a standard snifter, too much alcohol emphasis. Hope this helps.

scopenut
05-30-2006, 10:33
I have a pair of the Riedel Single Malt Whisky glasses and I absolutely love them for Scotch, but I don't care for them for bourbon as much as I like the Riedel Cognac Henessy Glasses. It holds the bouquet tremendously and it a delight to drink from. I personally dont recommend the Riedel bourbon glasses, both the Single Malt glasses and all the cognac glasses are far superiour IMO. I agree with you about a standard snifter, too much alcohol emphasis. Hope this helps.

Havent' tried the Riedel Cognac glasses, but I really like the Riedel Bourbon glasses. I have a couple of Riedel 'O' Port/Spirit glasses arriving, and will compare and report back.

Kevin

scopenut
05-31-2006, 09:09
The Riedel O spirit/fortified wine glasses (414/60) arrived yesterday. On first use, the glass seems slightly more fragile than the Riedel Bourbon glass. In any case, these glasses are light, and very nice.

To me it's a tossup as to which I prefer. The inward turn of the lip on both is comparable and concentrates the nose nicely. Can't go wrong with either of them. Both keep the bourbon from spilling on the table when poured. :lol:

Kevin