PDA

View Full Version : Best Bourbon Is?

Gillman
09-21-2005, 14:10
If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness. There are whiskeys from other concerns I would rate as high but they are not available (as yet anyway) in general circulation. I'd include the 20 year old rye we tasted recently at HH and the barrel strength 1792 we tasted at Barton's.

In any case, these are the three best whiskeys I've tasted this year and perhaps ever.

Gary

TNbourbon
09-21-2005, 14:24
It's funny, Gary, but because KY is so accessible to me, so far I've had an "I'll get it next time" attitude about the FRSB. Thus, I've only tasted it at the several Bardstown events I've attended. It has wowed me then, but I've not had it regularly enough to call it a 'best' -- though it may well be a contender. Agreed, too, about the HH 20yo rye and that Warehouse Z Barton sample. Great stuff.
I poured a bit of the remainder of my Lawrenceburg Pappy 23 bottling last night -- which is a rye recipe, one I believe Julian said might be Old Boone whiskey -- and it's been fabulous each time I've had it, as has the 'cheesy' gold-label Wild Turkey 12yo from the '80s and early-'90s. All of these -- and George T. Stagg when I'm in the mood and I find the perfect dilution -- are on a plateau by themselves for me. I've never found a fault in a single sip of any of them.

Gillman
09-21-2005, 14:38
Good notes, thanks. That Pappy 23 has eluded me, I'd love to try it. I have had very limited experience with Geo. T. Stagg but I'll keep an open mind (and I know what you mean by getting the dilution right). I had one WT 12 year old a few years ago that was outstanding but after tried two others that weren't as good.

Gary

BourbonJoe
09-21-2005, 14:48
Hi Gary,
Since I did not have the good fortune to accompany you to taste the 20 y/o Rye at HH or the Barrel Strength Barton and I've not had the pleasure of tasting a Pappy 23 in any form, I'd have to say that almost any of the Van Winkles qualify for top honors IMHO. I've had the 20, 15-107 (both), 12-90, 10-107. I don't think I've had anything better to date. I guess you can tell I like Wheaters.
Joe http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

Gillman
09-21-2005, 15:03
Thanks for these thoughts, Joe, the Van Winkle products rate high in my book, too. Still, I'd have to give the laurels to a rye-recipe or rye whiskey since (with exception of the ORVW 12 and 13 year old ryes and the 23 year old bourbon Tim mentioned) Van Winkle is a wheat-recipe specialty house. While I enjoy wheaters, especially older ones, rye-recipe bourbons, to quote bourbon writer and taster extraordinaire Chuck Cowdery, are always more interesting. Of course, not everyone will agree.

Gary

lakegz
09-21-2005, 16:05
Ive seen a few Four Roses Single Barrels on the shelves here in japan and i didnt think very much of them simply because their 'well' brand is everywhere and its pretty crappy.
Well, because of your recommendation, i have to say the Single Barrel is next on my to buy list.

So far, my favorite bourbon has been Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Its multidimensional flavor does the trick for me.

wadewood
09-21-2005, 16:36
The KY only FRSB is on my top 5 list. Just means I need to make another trip back to KY. When is the sampler scheduled for 2006?

Barrel_Proof
09-21-2005, 16:40
When is the sampler scheduled for 2006?

The next Bardstown Sampler is April 29, 2006. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

bobbyc
09-21-2005, 17:31
I have had very limited experience with Geo. T. Stagg but I'll keep an open mind

I have beat the Stagg drum a bit and now I am faced with having to rethink it. I'm tasting it at the Bourbon tasting and thinking it's WTRR 101. The hell of that is the WTRR 101 is history, too bad really, almost half the cost. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Gillman
09-21-2005, 17:44
Don't feel too bad, Bobby. I thought the Stagg was Maker's. Yikes.

Gary

joe1974
09-21-2005, 18:18
Haven't had FRSB. Don't see any here in Florida. I could entertain the idea of PVW 23YO were it not so expensive (I've only had it once, and it was delish). I would say WT Rare Breed, Evan Williams SB 1993, PVW 12YO, or WT Russell's Reserve. In fact, I'll say WT Russell's RSV 10 YO 101 . That's my final answer. I'll have to pick up some of Four Roses SB next time I'm in Ky (or Japan). How much should I plan to spend?

brian12069
09-21-2005, 18:24
Come on, everyone knows Van Winkle 7 yr 107 proof is the best.

BourbonJoe
09-21-2005, 19:27

Gary

Oh my God, Gary, after just extolling the virtues of Ryed Bourbons to me.
Joe http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/lol.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/usflag.gif

monte
09-21-2005, 20:12
I'll have to pick up some of Four Roses SB next time I'm in Ky (or Japan). How much should I plan to spend?

It was in the high $20s at Liquor Barn on March '05 in KY. Definitely worth it, and definitely an unusual set of flavors. Very much worth seeking out, especially if you like rye oriented bourbon.

Cheers,

-monte-

Gillman
09-22-2005, 01:19
I know. The test was challenging and odd in its results. I found the Stagg very well integrated, the rye did not show through seemingly and I thought it was a wheat-recipe whiskey. I think the high alcohol fooled me, it covered the rye component (or complemented it) and I thought it had to be Maker's although I should have known by the age. When you dilute rye-recipe whiskey it has the tendency I find to accenuate the rye and the reverse seemed true that night. I did get the first one, Rock Hill Farm and after (and there were a couple in between) the factor of palate anaesthesia occurred. In my defence, no one got more than two right. I think one can zero in on familiar attributes when in "familiar territory" but once "disoriented" odd results can occur. I once read that tasted blind, many people can't tell an onion from an apple because the "markers" they use are off. Odd as this may sound, this does not mean people don't know what they are tasting when, say, they order a hamburger with onion (and not apple) on it! On another point, Joe in Florida asked about FRSB pricing. It goes for about $30 in Kentucky and is well worth it.

Gary

nor02lei
09-22-2005, 04:13
If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness. There are whiskeys from other concerns I would rate as high but they are not available (as yet anyway) in general circulation. I'd include the 20 year old rye we tasted recently at HH and the barrel strength 1792 we tasted at Barton's.

In any case, these are the three best whiskeys I've tasted this year and perhaps ever.

Gary

Best 3 I have had is the van Winkle 12 Y old time rye and an real old bottling (auction stuff) of WT 101 with was bright red in the collar and had an very, very concentrated taste and an enormously long and intense aftertaste, at least as long as Stagg. Than it is a new discovery. The van Winkle 10 Y 107 proof Bernheim version. How said weathers were light, mild whiskey. This is a huge whiskey. With probably the biggest body I ever had in a whiskey/whisky I am very fond of eating chocolate to my whiskey and did try 3 different high quality bars with this whiskey but the whiskey killed them all. I think it is at its best being snippet neat at its on after a good meal and some drinking just like Stagg or older ryes. I actually think it is better than the SW I have tried (12, 15, 20). By the way is there anybody else that likes Bernheim weathers and perhaps have tried the new 12 years old?

angelshare
09-22-2005, 04:22
When we visited Four Roses in 04, we had the good fortune to taste the Four Roses SB straight from the barrel. Given your comments, Gary, we're bummed you weren't in attendance. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

However, as far as the best bourbon currently available - Tina sticks with her longtime favorite ORVW 10 year, 107. She has favored this even over the 15 year.

I am starting to change my mind and give the title to ER 17 Year, although that may not count since that's a limited annual release. If that's disqualified, I'll go back to my previous pick of Kentucky Spirit.

Gillman
09-22-2005, 04:26
Haven't tried the new 12 as far as I know!

I agree fully regarding ORVW 12 year old rye and in my view Van Winkle enters the magic circle via his rye whiskeys. My hope is he can select barrels of others' rye in the future and offer it as part of his line-up. The profile to go for is of a fruity 12-13 year old rye whiskey. The current G bottling is about 19 years old and I have had an excellent report of it from my friend Gary Hodder. Still, it is a finite stock and I see room to launch a younger whiskey in that style.

Gary

Gillman
09-22-2005, 04:35
Sorry I missed that barrel strength version, it must have been really good.

I fully agree regarding ER 17 year old bourbon. I only had it once (the one before the last release) and enjoyed its elegant, autumnal flavour.

I like the others mentioned, that I've tried, but they stand out less in memory.

Gary

Bamber
09-22-2005, 04:38
Eagle Rare 17yo. Best bourbon and best whisky IMHO.

kbuzbee
09-22-2005, 06:30
Gary, I'm a big fan of the Wild Turkey line and recently tasting Tribute I've come to think of it as the best Bourbon ever bottled. I keep an open mind but right now, that's my take. It's full and complex with that sweet, earthy taste all the WT products seem to carry. My very first taste seemd too spicey but not since then. It terrific.

I have not had the opportunity to try any of the three you cite. Hopefully one day I will, as my Tribute won't last forever.

Cheers,

Ken

Gillman
09-22-2005, 07:18
And I look forward to the chance to try Tribute, the one Wild Tukey product I haven't tried. I do like RR a lot. The earthiness is quite pronounced in the line, clearly a house characteristic.

It is interesting that with as few as 9 or 10 plants the industry still puts out a large range of flavors (within certain bounds to be sure, hence - in part - the trouble we had at the recent semi-blind tasting!). E.g., Four Roses could not be more different than the feisty Wild Turkey products.

Gary

kbuzbee
09-22-2005, 07:30
Well, if you find yourself on this side of Lake Erie, let me know.... I'd be more than happy to share a pour.

Ken

BobA
09-22-2005, 08:20
I can really understand not noticing the rye in Stagg, especially if trying other bourbons, even cleansing the palate. When I first tasted it, I thought "Old Charter 12," and Ken confirmed they are the same mashbill. Of ocurse, OC is usually referred to as a (the?) low rye bourbon. I realize that their barrel selections for OC are probably very specific (and they do a good job of hitting that profile) and they are probably focusing on something else for Stagg, but if it starts out low rye, it'll probably taste that way sometimes.

Bob

Gillman
09-22-2005, 10:19
Very good, Bob, thanks! It wasn't just the alcohol dominating, but evidence of the low-rye mashbill, or both. I wasn't totally off-base anyway. It happens that Charter 12 year old is available in Ontario now, I'll pick some up later and taste test it against Maker's.

Gary

dougdog
09-22-2005, 11:45
I know where I'll be on April 28th...Let's say at about 9:00 pm....

jburlowski
09-22-2005, 13:27
I would have to disagree.... After reading some rave reviews of FRSB, I tried a bottle earlier this year and was unimpressed. Maybe the reviews had raised my expectations or it could be the variations in a SB product, but I found it unremarkable. A "good" bourbon and, at the local pricing, a good value; but I would not put it as the "best". That honor (at least currently) would go with ER 17.

Gillman
09-22-2005, 13:29
Being a single barrel it does vary. I had one last year that was bland as anything. Maybe yours was from that barrel. But in general it is very good and I'd encourage people to try it one more time (at least) who felt the first bottle was disappointing.

Gary

camduncan
09-22-2005, 14:29
If I was being smart, I'd say the best bourbon is whatever you might be drinking now http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For me, the best bourbon available in the Australian market would be Bookers or Evan Williams SB. There are plenty of good bourbons available, but these stand out most to me.

Of all the bourbons I've tasted or purchased outside the Australian market, Old Rip Van Winkle 13yo Rye, 2004 Stagg & Sazerac, Old Rip Van Winkle 12yo and Pappy 15yo really are a cut above the rest.

I did get to try Four Roses (not sure what bottle, and it was with coke http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) at Raffles when I was in Singapore last year. It was definately a nice drink that I'd like to explore neat if I ever get the chance...

OneCubeOnly
09-22-2005, 15:43
There are plenty of awesome bourbons which could easily wear the title of "best", but if forced to choose I'd have to go with good ol' Pappy 20. No matter the mood or craving, it always seems to press the right buttons for me.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

TonyM
09-22-2005, 15:49
For my money, the best premium bourbons are the Pappy 20, Pappy 23 and George T Stagg. I would say that the Evan Williams Single Barrel or Weller 12 ore the best bang for the buck bourbons.

Tony

Chaz7
09-22-2005, 16:51
I still have not found anything to top PVW 20 yr. I had the 4RSB, and it was very good; but, and this is why I like SB forum,everyone will think of something different. Thanks for stirrin' the pot (or should I say pot still)

barturtle
09-22-2005, 18:09
I refuse to vote for things that are no longer available (either in the states, or just not made anymore). Which eliminates WT 12, WTRR 101, and ER 101 among several that many here have plenty of(the lucky ones). I still haven't tried some of the "new" versions of several (eg. Pappy 15) so I can't vote for those either. Ryes, of course, don't qualify. I have problems voting for single barrels, just because there is some variance, that could take it from the greatest to the 6th greatest(depending on individual tastes).

Now that the disclaimers are over, I'm gonna cast a vote (and probably the only one) for:

W L Weller Centennial 10yr 100proof(at least I think they are still making this).

If I ignored all my rules I would probably vote for WT 12

ratcheer
09-22-2005, 18:45
I seem to be alone on this, but I will say Rock Hill Farms. It is what I want in an expensive, elegant bourbon.

Another contender for my best ever is the 2002 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, which of course is no longer generally available.

Downscale from all those, I really (REALLY!) love Old Grand Dad 114 and Elmer T. Lee single-barrel.

Y'all can have your wheaters. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tim

Isoflex
09-22-2005, 21:05
I once read that tasted blind, many people can't tell an onion from an apple because the "markers" they use are off. Odd as this may sound, this does not mean people don't know what they are tasting when, say, they order a hamburger with onion (and not apple) on it!

Gary

Actually this occurs if you keep the nose pinched so the Olfactory nerves don't come into play. We actually "taste" more with our nose than our tongues. Hence the reason we know when something tastes like s***!!http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bob
09-23-2005, 15:12
While reading the previous posts, I was considering my choice...Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit or Tribute, Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve, Blanton's, all of the Van Winkles. After reading Gary's post, and I know that I fully agree with his choice...Pappy 20 rules!

Bob

Hedmans Brorsa
09-24-2005, 01:34

He, he! No offence, Gary, but flying the flag for Makerīs I, of course, find this to be extremely amusing! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Incidentally, Iīve only had the HAZMAT version of Stagg so far which to me, at least, displays an enormous rye presence in the beginning which, after a while, gets totallly overwhelmed by the corn. The newest expression is on its way to me - it will be the first time that I have the opportunity to compare two Stagg versions. Interesting!

As for FRSB, Iīve only hade the 86 proof version. It is good but I canīt see it ever cracking my top five. Itīs quite sweet but of a sophisticated and elegant variety. Iīm especially fond of sniffing it.

I would love to try the 100 proof. Anyone out there who has sampled both expressions and if so, what do you think?

Gillman
09-24-2005, 03:44
Last night I attended a tasting at which the idea was to compare wheat-recipe whiskey to a low rye rye-recipe one. For the latter we had Charter 12 year old. The wheat-recipe whiskeys were Maker's, Weller 7 year old and Rebel Yell. Everyone agreed that although evidently older from more barrel aging, the Charter was quite similar otherwise to the others, i.e., they all had a similar, mild palate and finish from lack of rye or very much rye. If, as reported here, Stagg is from the same mashbill as the low-rye Charter, I think it is clear one could under the constraints of a complex, semi-blind tasting, mistake Stagg for a wheat recipe whiskey.

It is possible, too, that different Staggs show the small rye content differently, I don't recall which Stagg was tasted at our tasting. In truth I have little experience with Stagg, having tasted it previously only twice, I believe. I also hadn't tried many of the 20 whiskeys on the list very often or ever in some cases. For these reasons, the test was ambitious and fun but of limited utility (in my view) to show what people really know.

One has to take chances for whiskey and I don't mind being wrong even if I had no excuse but perhaps I had a small one (or two) in this instance.

A test that would be interesting would be to say we have chosen three whiskeys from Knob Creek, Bulleit, Jim Beam White, Maker's Mark, Jack Daniel's, Evan William's Single Barrel 1995 and Seagram Seven Crown, and Four Roses. I think many of us would have done better on a test like that. Nor can it be said that is too easy because out of 6 whiskeys no one got more than two right and even those who got the two were a small percentage of all the tasters.

Gary

ratcheer
09-24-2005, 05:56
Well, we know that Ancient Ancient Age, Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's, and several others are from one mashbill (BT #2) and that Buffalo Trace is from a different mashbill. I presume that BT #2 is higher rye because I like it so much http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, but I could be mistaken.

I wonder which mashbill Stagg is from?

Some info about Buffalo Trace mashbills (http://www.straightbourbon.comhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=General&Number=45390&Searchpage=1&Main=44951&Words=mashbill+Ken+Weber&topic=&Search=true#Post45390)

Tim

Gillman
09-24-2005, 06:28
Stagg and Charter are from mash bill no. 1 (said Ken here recently). (Although I would think 12 year old Charter was made elsewhere than at Trace since only acquired in 1999, from Bernheim I believe. Unless Trace made Charter for Bernheim (UDV) as well as some wheat-recipe bourbon). I think no. 2 has the higher rye content.

Gary

barturtle
09-24-2005, 14:33
There was another post from Ken that said that Eagle Rare and Old Charter were the same mashbill.

Continuing with Ken's posts, he said that they were stopping the production of Eagle Rare 101 to let it age longer to fill some need in more popular brands

Following this train of thought, what are they going to use it for? Could Old Charter 12 and 13 be popular enough these days to eliminate Eagle Rare? Or is it just going to be used for Stagg/ER 17? Or as Ken also said BT is from that mashbill, could they be getting ready for an older, age-statemented BT? Or maybe just some fill to bump up the average age of BT?

Still think I need to get as many of these side-by-side to try. I count 9 current bottlings here (Okay, 8 as I counted ER101)
ERSB 10
ER 17
GTS
BT
OC 8
OC 10
OC 12
OC 13

Damn, That's a lot of really good whiskey off of one mashbill. I think it wins my vote for favorite mashbill!

No offense meant here, as I know that it's a matter of business and long term projections and such, just some simple speculation on my part. Always hopeful for new products and ways to compare them to each other.

angelshare
09-24-2005, 18:38
Damn, That's a lot of really good whiskey off of one mashbill. I think it wins my vote for favorite mashbill!

Ditto!

AVB
09-25-2005, 12:29
Anybody have a line on someplace that would ship FRSB to PA?

BourbonJoe
09-25-2005, 15:19

I believe FRSB is available only in Kentucky and Kentucky is forbidden to ship to PA. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

lakegz
09-26-2005, 01:06
domestically im sure youre correct, but i want to add that yesterday i bought some FRSB in Japan for about 35 dollars. They also had an even more premium one for around 70. i wish i could recall the name of it exactly how it was written.

AVB
09-26-2005, 09:26
OK then, who's willing to buy me one and ship it? I can do check or Money Order.

I believe FRSB is available only in Kentucky and Kentucky is forbidden to ship to PA. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

TMH
09-26-2005, 11:59
i bought some FRSB in Japan for about 35 dollars. They also had an even more premium one for around 70.

What is the proof on the $35 FRSB? If it's the 50%, that's a great price for Japan, as I've seen it going for around $50. FR also has a less expensive FRSB that is 43% or 86 proof. The most expensive FR product in Japan is the FR Premium, which is also 86 proof and goes for around $70-$80, if I remember correctly.

lakegz
09-27-2005, 01:59
i bought some FRSB in Japan for about 35 dollars. They also had an even more premium one for around 70.

What is the proof on the $35 FRSB? If it's the 50%, that's a great price for Japan, as I've seen it going for around $50. FR also has a less expensive FRSB that is 43% or 86 proof. The most expensive FR product in Japan is the FR Premium, which is also 86 proof and goes for around $70-$80, if I remember correctly.

i have the 86 proof. I didnt know they made a 100 proof SB also. ill have to look for that.

Hedmans Brorsa
09-27-2005, 08:13
Isnīt the 100 proof US only (or even Kentucky only)? While the 86 proof is for the Japanese and European market (not Sweden, though. We only have the yellow label).

TMH
09-28-2005, 22:45
Isnīt the 100 proof US only (or even Kentucky only)? While the 86 proof is for the Japanese and European market (not Sweden, though. We only have the yellow label).

It is my understanding that FRSB 100 is Kentucky and Japan only. I'm not sure about the FRSB 86.

bluesbassdad
09-29-2005, 01:21
Tim,

I agree with you regarding Rock Hill Farms, and yet I disagree regarding wheaters. Strange, isn't it?

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

BourbonJoe
09-29-2005, 05:24
Tim,

I agree with you regarding Rock Hill Farms, and yet I disagree regarding wheaters.

You can add me to this list. Love RHF and love wheaters.

Edward_call_me_Ed
09-29-2005, 06:53
I thought it was Four Roses Platinum. (The data base lists it as Four Roses Super Premium Platinum) I haven't had it as it is expensive and the standard bottling doesn't impress me. It is on my to do list, but not very near the top. I have had the SB a couple of times in bars and it is good stuff. Not my top shelf, though. As a result I haven't bought a bottle yet. To pricy for second shelf. My humble opinion.
Ed

JeffRenner
09-29-2005, 07:07
If I had to go out on a limb I'd say the best straight whiskey on the market today is Four Roses Single Barrel. This bourbon consistently reaches the heights. It has a fine texture, soft mouth feel (despite the proof), fine wintergreen-like taste and aftertaste and balanced overall character with the wood char echoing in the aftertaste (but not dominating). Also, it has a fine natural sweetness.

That was exactly my thought when I first tasted FRSB this June, and I haven't changed my mind since.

Every year, a group of us at the National Homebrew Conference (in Baltimore this year) have a whisk(e)y tasting in my room one of the evenings. When I inherited it (as host) a few years ago, it was a single malt tasting, but I've been an iconoclast and have brought other whiskies every year, starting with Redbreast pure pot still Irish. Three years ago it was a 13 year old (1919-->1933) Old Overhold BiB (with Michael Jackson sitting next to me taking notes).

So on one of my regular trips to Cincinnati (my home town) to visit my mother, I made my usual trip to the Kentucky Welcome Center (aka Cork 'n' Bottle, at the first exit across the bridge) and picked up a bottle of FRSB.

It was the first whiskey I had at the tasting, so I had a fresh palate. It was fantastic - everything Gary has written, but with one other prominant note - lavender, ethereally floating above the hubbub. I decided then and there that I was in love.

I think that it appeals so much to me in part from the high rye content (reportedly 38%). I just find that I prefer the backbone that rye gives to bourbon. I just can't seem to get into wheaters - not for lack of trying. The yeast (one of the five in the FR stable) surely plays a part as well.

This first bottle was from warehouse ES, barrel 19-1N. On a subsequent trip, I picked up another, LW/11-5N. It is also very fine, but not quite as mind-blowing. Unfortunately, I have only 3/4" (2cm for you Aussies) left in the first bottle.

At $32, this will never be a regular pour for me. I had hoped that the Bulleit, with, I believe, the same mash bill, would be similar, but it seemed to me to fall well short. I'll be trying it more.

Jeff

Edward_call_me_Ed
09-29-2005, 07:22
I think that the whiskey that would have been Eagle Rare 101 is going to Eagle Rare single barrel expressions. (I had a 14 year old ERSB the other day. Wonderful bourbon. I had never heard of it prior to seeing it at the bar.) Good as the 14 year old was it was overshadowed by the ER 17 I had the same night. I hope the 101 is being sacrificed to increase stocks destined to become ER 17!
Ed

barturtle
09-29-2005, 07:53
Wow, where were you when you had this ERSB 14yr? I'm wondering if it is a Japan-only thing or maybe a special bottling for a bar. Not that I have a chance to travel there, just interested as this is a bottling that I've not heard of. Though it seems that there used to be a 15yr expression that was Japan only.

Oh, yes I had listed Stagg as being from this mashbill (in the list-GTS)

bluesbassdad
09-29-2005, 11:31
And not only that, I love the aesthetics of the packaging of Rock Hill Farms, even the way the bourbon runs into the stopper when I do the occasional cork-wetting.

The flip-side is that the thin layer of cork formed around the stopper is not always formed properly to ensure the quality of seal that is normal for a solid piece of cork.

Furthermore, I think this design is less able to cushion the neck from an impact upon the stopper. My belief is based on a single case (http://www.straightbourbon.comhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/25296/an//page//vc/1) in which I removed the clear plastic retainer, whereupon a sizeable section of the rim of the bottle fell away in many pieces. I can only guess how and when the breakage had occurred, but I know it was not by my hand.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

TMH
09-29-2005, 14:30
I thought it was Four Roses Platinum. (The data base lists it as Four Roses Super Premium Platinum)

Thanks Ed, I forgot about the Platinum reference. I pulled this off the FR site:

FOUR ROSES SUPER PREMIUM - 86°

This small batch Bourbon is often referred to as "Platinum" for the elegance of its rich and complex taste. 86 proof. Introduced in 1992. Sold only in Japan.

ratcheer
09-29-2005, 18:45
That is cool, Dave. One of the best pours I ever had (and I only ever had one) was a very generous straight shot of Pappy 20-year old in a bar. But, 99 times out of 100 I prefer the rye spice kick of a great rye-bourbon to most all wheat-bourbons.

Tim

AVB
10-19-2005, 15:35
Well it took me almost a month and cost $40 but I got my hands on a bottle or the FRSB yesterday. It is good stuff but perhaps not the best, certainly top 5 though. Any way it was worth the effort and I'll be getting more when this bottle is gone. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gillman
10-19-2005, 17:02
I think too each bottle (or barrel) is different, some really shine, others are no less than very good. Try again, you may find a real winner.

Gary

AVB
10-20-2005, 09:56
Probably true but then the drinkers are differnt too. Being in the top 5 of anything is pretty good.

I think too each bottle (or barrel) is different, some really shine, others are no less than very good. Try again, you may find a real winner.

Gary

dlmartin
11-06-2005, 17:34
After sampling about 30 bourbon's to this date and still a beginner, I would have to say the following are the best five bourbon's I've tried so far:

-- Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 - Mellow, smooth /w a long vanilla finish http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/drink.gif
-- Blanton's Single Barrel - Full flavor, sweet and vanilla finish http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif
-- Knob Creek - Full flavor with spices http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif
-- Baker's - Spicey and sweet http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
-- Maker's Mark - Sweet and light http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tallmarc
11-23-2005, 10:53
Believe it or not, my current favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Barrel strength. Finish hints surprisingly of dark rum.

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-23-2005, 17:31
Hi Tallmarc,
Welcome to the list.
Nothing surprising about picking WT RB. Wonderful bourbon.
Ed

dhooch
11-25-2005, 19:41
Rock Hill Farms bourbon has been my favorite for a while, now. It has such a pleasant aroma, sweet taste and FINE finish. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/yum.gif

It displaced my second choice of WT Rare Breed and always close Old Rip Van Winkle bourbons, which I believe are wheaters. They are different (and better, IMHO) from the other popular wheat bourbon, Makers.

By the way, the only objection to Rock Hills Farm is the price. But, then, again, you CAN get what you pay for. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dhooch
11-25-2005, 19:50
Don't get me wrong... I love the complete line of Wild Turkey bourbons.

However, I was given a bottle of Tribute, and with great expectations (considering the price; about $88) that this would be one of the finest bourbons available. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't up to my expectations. I would rather have two bottles of Kentucky Spirit the next time around.

Geo
11-25-2005, 22:51
Hands down... George T. Stagg

I have a bottle on prder, either a spring 05 or Fall 05.

My next favorate is Pappy's Family Reserve 15 yr, followed closely by Old Rip Van Winkles 10yr 107.

kbuzbee
11-26-2005, 05:56
Don't get me wrong... I love the complete line of Wild Turkey bourbons.

However, I was given a bottle of Tribute, and with great expectations (considering the price; about $88) that this would be one of the finest bourbons available. I was disappointed. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't up to my expectations. I would rather have two bottles of Kentucky Spirit the next time around.

That's a tough call. I've never been good at bang for the buck stuff. I like similar qualities in JTS Brown at $11, Kentucky Spirit for $37 an Tribute at $88. How do I rate these as values...?? I have no idea.

Like I said elsewhere, my very first pour of Tribute was kind of overwhelming. I wasn't sure what to expect (and I'd never had anything that expensive before). As I worked through the bottle I really came to appreciate the complexity and sheer volumn of characture Tribute presents. Part of me is glad you can't find it anymore. Making a $90 Bourbon my daily pour is NOT in my budget. But I'm very sorry it will soon be totally gone.

Ken

purpleace
11-26-2005, 12:02
After getting a taste of a number of bourbons (but definately not all of them on my list), I really like the initial bite and smooth vision of Stagg.

I just added Hirsch 16-year and Black Maple 14-year, so I may change my vote soon.

Does anyone have any strong opinions on the BM14 versus the BM16?

Thanks.

dhooch
11-29-2005, 12:09
I'm glad you like Tribute.

By the way, I have seen a few bottles of Tribute around the Cincinnati area. So, it is still available in some places. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif