PDA

View Full Version : High end Bourbon that's not worth the price

purpleace
11-10-2005, 19:00
I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.

Thanks for your help.
Scott

Schock
11-10-2005, 19:24
Try Elijah Craig 12 yr. I think of it as the entry way to high end bourbons, but it is really one of the best.

Jimmy

musher
11-10-2005, 19:59
Many would agree that Old Whiskey River is worth leaving on the shelf.

alphaiii
11-10-2005, 20:02
I can recommend Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year and Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year with confidence. I think the ER10 is an extremely good buy at around $20.

As far as bourbons to avoid - I really haven't bought any I don't think were worth the money. I tried Gentleman Jack at a friend's and would never buy it with my own money. I don't know that it is considered a "high end" bourbon though. Another I would never buy is Basil Hayden since most comments I've read about it have been negative.

alphaiii
11-10-2005, 20:04
musher, this is off topic but I gotta say I love the picture of the Husky in your avatar. My sister has a female husky - I've never seen another dog with such personality.

That is a Husky and not a Malamute correct?

barturtle
11-10-2005, 20:17
Welcome to SB.com. I'm sure you'll find it a great source of info, no matter what your particular interests in the wonderful world of bourbon may be.

I'm not sure where you're located but surely there's a good bourbon bar not too far away, even if it would require a weekend trip, it's a good way to try several different whiskies without commiting to the whole bottle.

I'm not too sure many on this board are going to say that any one whiskey is crap, as just because one doesn't like it doesn't mean another won't. There does seem to be a concensus that the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain might not be quite worth the money being asked for it, but as I haven't had the (dis?)pleasure yet I will withhold my judgement until I have.

As you come to find your particular tastes in bourbon, you can use these boards to research makers/bottlings to find more that fall into similar flavor profiles. Many of the whiskies you like will likely have a lower priced counterpart with a similar structure, allowing you to avoid the disappointment of overspending.

Best of luck in your whiskey travels

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-10-2005, 21:28
Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.
Ed

alphaiii
11-10-2005, 21:44
Twenty Bucks for Eagle Rare SB 10 yo? That would be a good deal. It is more like 35 bucks here in Sapporo. My loss.
Ed

Wow that's unfortunate. After having it, I would be willing to pay $35 for it b/c I like it so much, but I'm glad I can find it cheaper.

When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.

tmas
11-10-2005, 23:03
Hey Scott, I'd recommend you try the Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a fine bourbon and sells, at least in my area, for under $20.00. Tom V http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/drink.gif

jburlowski
11-11-2005, 08:23
Avoid the new Woodford Reserve Four Grain.... IMHO, it's not ready for consumption at this stage ---- certainly not worth the $79 / bottle

Hedmans Brorsa
11-11-2005, 09:22
High end Bourbon that's not worth the price

Almost any Bourbon where they buy bulk whiskey from HH, then pour it into a posh bottle, add wordings like small batch and sell it for twice the price (buy HH:s own products, instead).

Also, there was a con job called McKendrick“s which may or may not still be around. Steer clear!

wrbriggs
11-11-2005, 11:22
I'm not a terribly huge fan of Booker's, to tell the honest truth. At over $50 / bottle, it's not one that I can see myself purchasing regularly. As others have said, Old Whiskey River costs far more than it's worth.

In general, most bourbons are a good value, especially compared with other types of spirits; Elijah Craig 12 yr and Jim Beam black label are two that I think are especially good values (of course, distribution is limited up here in my little corner of the frozen Northeast, so I'm sure there are many others).

Chaz7
11-11-2005, 11:46
This is really a subjective, well subject. But Jeff's Reserve is a great $15.00 bourbon. Unfortunately, it's $40.

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-11-2005, 15:01
As Chaz7 says this is all terribly subjective, so here are my two subjective cents on Booker's. Well worth the price. Since I have tried it I always have a bottle around the place and it is usually open. The Jim Beam Black that I first bought nearly a year ago is still half full. Nothing wrong with it but it doesn't do much for me, bland. Nor it is a particularly good value here in Sapporo at around 20 bucks.

BTW, Scott, but what premium bourbons have you tried that you feel are worth the money?

Ed

purpleace
11-11-2005, 17:36
I really enjoy Stagg, Pappy 15 yr., 1792 (a great value), Elijah Craig 18, Bookers, Four Roses, and just recently tried (and liked) the Evan Williams single barrel 1995.

So I am finding no shortage of quality.

I just added Michter's Straight Rye, Weller Centennial, and Hirsch 16yr. (which I'll try tonight).

I am mixed on Baker's and Blanton's.

I travel a bit and come across a nice variety, but before I sink $50+ in a bottle of Michter's 10-year Rye, Hancock, etc. or less in a few others I see around like Bulleit, I.W. Harper, etc. I'd like to hear the opinions of truly afficianados.

Thanks for your advice.

musher
11-11-2005, 20:06
That is a Husky and not a Malamute correct?

Yes. More in "Off Topic" . . .

Edward_call_me_Ed
11-12-2005, 02:07
Thanks. As for the ones you are considering, I like Bulleit. I have only had one bottle of it. I bought it on vacation in the States and brought it back with me. I have another bottle still unopened. I have never seen it here in Sapporo. The I.W. Harper Gold Medal I see all the time. It is very well priced at around 16 bucks. I believe it is more expensive in other markets. I find it a bit bland. Others on the list really like it. I would like to try the 12 yo but it is fairly pricey so I haven't gotten around to it.

One favorite of mine that I don't see on your list is the Elmer T Lee Single Barrel. It is quite a sweet bourbon and I don't know if you like that. Hmm. From your list of likes, maybe you do. The bottle I have open now is one of the spiciest (cinnamon) bourbons I have ever had.

Schock
11-12-2005, 12:09
I agree completely that price is no determinant in how good of a bourbon you end up with. The best examples of quality bourbons that don't pinch the wallet too hard (in my opinion) are Elijah Craig 12yr, Corner Creek, Bulleit and all the real low cost end Old Grandad. On the other hand, the high end Jim Beam stuff like Baker's, Bookers, Basil Haydens never impressed me at least not for the price. (By the way, they sell minis of those so you can try them without making a big investment.) I haven't tried the new Woodford 4 grain, but judging from the related posts, it's a prime example of not worth the price.

Jimmy

troyce
11-12-2005, 15:16
Value is a major consideration in my bourbon buying and drinking. The following are those that I consider well worth the asking price.
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Elmer T Lee
Buffalo Trace
W L Weller 12 Yr
Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve
G T Stagg
Eagle Rare 17
Eagle Rare Single Barrel
Four Roses Single Barrel
Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr
Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel
Old Grand Dad 114
Maker's Mark
Old Forester 100 proof
Old Ezra (7) Rare Old
Their not all "cheap" , but I don't mind paying for these.

AVB
11-13-2005, 20:05
Not a fan of Ridgemont reserve 1792 myself and I don't think Basil Hayden's is worth the asking price either. YMMV.

BobA
11-14-2005, 10:57
I'll agree with others that Basil Hayden is not worth the price, although I do like it, certainly far more than any other 80 proof bourbon I can think of. Although I don't usually spend the money for Booker's or Blanton's or Elijah Craig, that's just my decision about allocating my bourbon dollar; I can understand how others think it is worth the price.

I would encourage you to sample the Bulleit you mentioned; a very distinctive taste. There are lots of others in the same price range that could give you a nice experience of something different; Old Charter 12, Old Grandad 114, etc. Casting that sort of wide net can introduce you to lots of favorites.

Bob

angelshare
11-14-2005, 11:00
I'm new to the board and am building my collection of premium bourbons. However, I need some advice on what to avoid.

So far, my only disappointment was McKenna Single Barrel. I'm also not yet convinced that the Jefferson's Reserve was worth the extra money.

With the strong caveat once again that this is all subjective - eg, we like Henry McKenna SB! -

1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River;

2) The price of Jefferson's Reserve just dropped in VA - we like it better at $32 than $50, but not sure if you will;

3) Hancock's is good whiskey at a rotten price - easily worth $25-30, but not $50+. See if you can find a deal.

4) At the risk of heresy, after OneCubeOnly gave us our first sample of Pappy 20, can't see dropping $75+ on it. Don't get us wrong, it's GOOD, but the only whiskies we have found that we have been willing to pay super-super premium prices for (say $60+) are WT 12 year and Tribute.

BrbnBorderline
11-14-2005, 12:16
Basil Hayden's, JD Single Barrel - not worth $40, Baker's - good but not @ $40, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 - good but too spendy, and IMHO, anything by Maker's Mark.

I think Booker's is worth the $53 because other than Stagg, where else can you get a bourbon over 125 Proof?

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

Sweetmeats
11-14-2005, 12:56
1) We agree w/ avoiding Old Whiskey River

Not so fast. There is the little matter of a free Willie Nelson CD! Right! Hello? Yeah, I guess we should avoid it.

clayton
11-14-2005, 13:47
I honestly haven't found Blanton's to be quite worth the $50 price. I do enjoy a glass of Blanton's, but find its less famous sibling Rock Hill Farms to be more enjoyable.

I'm not all that enamored with Booker's, although again - it's good, but I'd rather spend my $50 on something else.

Stagg, Sazerac, VW Rye, and Pappy 20 are bottles I will happily spend $50+ to bring home. I reserve judgment on the new Antique WL Weller and Eagle Rare 17bottlings, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if those joined my top-shelf ranks, too.

reg
11-14-2005, 14:42
Woodford Reserve is one to avoid. also, anything thats 80 proof. that goes for the cheap stuff too.

pbrian
11-14-2005, 19:27
I'm new to the board too, but with soo many EXCELLENT bourbons for under $25, I have a long way to go before I have to go over that price to sample something new. I might be missing out on the best of the best, but I'm not complaining. Yet.

SBOmarc
11-14-2005, 22:08
It is all in the eyes, or in this case the mouths of the beholder. As all of these posts illustrate what most fine bourbon drinkers already know. We taste them all when we can find and afford them. We all have our favorites and values to be found depending on our locale and budget. We are all fortunate.

jspero
11-16-2005, 05:33
When it's on sale in Montgomery County Maryland liquor stores it's $16.99 - an unbelievable price. Otherwise it ranges around $20-22 where I buy it, but that is still a steal.

I second that! I discovered the sales in Montgomery County a couple of months ago by luck. I can't believe the prices there. I picked up a couple of bottles of ER10 at $16.99. I think that's a deal and a half. Same for ET Lee at $17 and Weller 12yo at $15. The only problem is that it's a bit of a drive for me and I don't get out there too often.

Jay

roughouse
11-17-2005, 20:24
I am somewhat new to the board as well. I am a huge fan of Knob Creek. The cost here in the Dallas area is $26-$28 a bottle. I love the strong finish. I thought that Woodford Reserve was good on the nose and pallate(sp) but lacked the type of finish I enjoy. Eagle Rare was...okay. Booker's was good enough to try a second bottle.

Good luck on the adventure!

Any one have commetns on Bullit(sp)?

roughouse

Geo
11-18-2005, 22:04
Hey Scott, I'd recommend you try the Weller Antique 107 proof. It's a fine bourbon and sells, at least in my area, for under $20.00. Tom V http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/drink.gif

I would highly agree! My Fav pour for the money, except, I cant find it here anymore. Doh!

sdchap00
12-05-2005, 19:13
I tried Pappy's 20 yr. about 6-7 years ago at a local cigar bar (Nicholson's), where you could get it by the drink. It was bold -- so much more flavor than anything else I'd had. You could literally taste the oak. I liked it, but it was so intense that it couldn't be an everyday drink. Back then, it was relatively cheap -- about $45 for .75L. I should have stocked up. At that price, I think it comes close to surpassing everything else in the $50 range I've had. But these days it's at least $75, and, well, let's just say that I've slowly been working through the bottle I got when I graduated from law school.

On the other high-end front, I've never been a fan of Blantons. I always thought the corn flavor was too everpresent. But, I need to try it again (it's been several years), if only to see if my Booker's experience recurs. My first taste of Booker's was terrible -- it was far too harsh. All I could think was that it was the most expensive rotgut I'd ever had. I went years maligning it to friends. But about 6 months ago, a local retailer with a party store was selling off their stock of Bookers; I picked it up, figuring what the heck. It was pretty darn good, especially for only $20. I'm not sure if it's worth the $40+ price tag, but it definitely makes me willing to re-try other stuff.

For me, the best values are Elijah Craig 12yr, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit. They're all $20 or less around here. (I still love MM, if only out of nostalgia, but it's gotten so expensive the last few years.). I had some Eagle Rare SB recently -- it's was pretty tasty. But I guess that, if I've learned anything, literal "taste" is about as subjective as it gets -- the ultimate YMMV kind of thing.

Geo
12-05-2005, 20:24
Pappy 20 and 23yr old. And Hirsh. Not worth the money for what you get. My opinion:

best for the money:

Old Weller Antique 107
Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr
Pappy Van Winkle 15yr
George T Stagg

Every day pours:

WT101
WT Rare Breed
Old Grand Dad 114
Old Weller 12yr
Old Weller Antique 107

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/spin_icon.gif

rob
12-06-2005, 04:20
Pappy 20 Yrs. Wood, wood, wood. Lifeless.

/Rob

gr8erdane
12-06-2005, 19:14
I must be a beaver. I love the stuff. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/stickpoke.gif

ThomasH
12-06-2005, 22:03
My vote for top self that isn't woth the price is Knob Creek. somehow it just doesn't cut it in the taste dept.I really like Buffalo Trace, W.l Weller 12yr and Beams Black label. Taste without the large price!

Thomas

1holegrouper
12-07-2005, 06:16
So far I have not been overly impressed with Jim Beam's top shelf products when their price is considered. I guess right now I feel biased towards several of Buffalo Trace offerings. Don't get me wrong I think the JB premium's are good products but I do feel that for the most part they are overpriced for what you get. The only exception IMHO would be Booker's. It is my GT Stagg subsitute- since they don't seem to have it here in NC. I like Baker's and Knob Creek but would only get them if they were on sale. Basil Hayden would have to be at least 1/4 the normal price before I would buy it.

BobA
12-07-2005, 08:54
I pretty much agree with you on price. There's just so much else out there at better prices. I've occasionally though of starting a poll of about what price people would be willing to pay for BH. It's about $33 here, and many 80 proofs are under $10 (JB white is about $14, OF 86 $10, Benchmark $10, Old Crow $8, AA $8, etc). Most of my buying in that price range is just experimental, but I like BH and might be willing to go $15 regularly. Just don't regularly want 80 proof.

Bob

pepcycle
12-07-2005, 09:53
I find the need tow work my way around the wood up front to get to all the goodies in the background. Pappy 20 is a sleeper. Its what's beyond the dry, oaky curtain that makes it great whiskey.
Dig.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/soapbox.gif

Chaz7
12-07-2005, 15:08
Pappy at twenty is wonderful. But, I almost agree with Whisky Magazine (not quite Jim Beam Black is better, but...), G.T. Stagg is surpassed by many less expensive pours, such as Buffalo Trace, ORVW, Weller Antique, OGD 114. But it does have rarity going for it, which can tend to add a few points.

Frodo
12-11-2005, 00:35
Basil Hayden's, JD Single Barrel - not worth $40, Baker's - good but not @ $40...
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/toast.gif

I agree with these - especially at the LCBO prices. Also, I like Pappy's 12yr old Bourbon (lot "B") but at C$75 I find it overcosted.

brian12069
12-11-2005, 04:59
I would have to say Baysel Hayden and Elijah Craig 12yr. I actually brought an EC 12yr BACK to the liquor store one time because I couldn't believe how bad it tasted. Then to find out, when they gave me another bottle, THATS what it tastes like. Has a very odd flavor and strange aftertaste to me.

OneCubeOnly
12-11-2005, 15:25
In the 'not worth the price' category, cast my passionate vote for Woodford Reserve.

Basil Hayden certainly comes to mind as well, but I think it's due more to being 80-proof.

camduncan
12-11-2005, 15:36
It's not exactly 'high-end' but cast my vote for Jim Beam Small Batch with port added. At $40-45 AU it's definately not worth it to me.
I'd prefer to spend the same money on a bottle of Makers, Bulleit or Evan Williams SB.

brian12069
12-11-2005, 15:46
In the 'not worth the price' category, cast my passionate vote for Woodford Reserve.

Basil Hayden certainly comes to mind as well, but I think it's due more to being 80-proof.

Why do you not like Woodford Reserve? It's only about $29 to $32 and I thought it tastes great?

OneCubeOnly
12-11-2005, 16:08
Why do you not like Woodford Reserve? It's only about $29 to $32 and I thought it tastes great?

I've had a frustrating saga with WR--it seems like the more potstill they incorporate the less I like it. Here's an older thread (http://www.straightbourbon.comhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/37337/page/vc/vc/1) in which I do some venting about WR.

Bamber
12-12-2005, 09:39
Tricky one as McKenna Single Barrel is one of my favourites http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wirh regards high end, I would say Hirsch 16yo and Pappy 20yo are pretty expnsive for what you get, but I still think they are great and worth trying. In fact I am hopfully getting some Pappy 20yo for Xmas, but worth the £85 we pay here for a bottle ?

I strongly dislike JB white and black label and Basil Haydens. I would not want any more of these even for free ! But others like them ....

barturtle
12-13-2005, 00:26
Okay, I'm home in KY now and what's the first thing I do, go to a bar and what do I see, WR 4grain. After inquiring about the price-$13 http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bigeyes.gif I figure that I'll either like it and want to go get a bottle or spending that much will save me from spending the rest on a bottle of it, so...

Well, I gotta say it bites. The closest thing I can think of is a lowland scotch, but it doesn't even make a good one of those. There's no smoothness to it, nothing that says wow. There's nothing about the bottle that makes me want it...well, okay I like the bottle, but not the label or the whiskey in it.

What in the world would make them release this? It's vile and does nothing for the brand. Are their stills so bad that this is the best they can do with them? I'll start recommending a lot of cheap blends before I start recommending this.

I am very disappointed that the company that produces Old Forester would sell this, Early Times is a far better product.

Okay-done venting now. It's my pick for bourbon not worth the price.

jburlowski
12-13-2005, 15:36
Amen

musher
12-13-2005, 22:25

I'll have to second that! The last time I attempted to try another sample from the bottle (a few days ago), I ended up turning it into a Manhattan in order to make it drinkable. Its just not my thing. In fact, it seems like the only BF I currently like is the Birthday Bourbon.

sharkman
12-21-2005, 21:39
In the "Not worth the price" category, I gotta throw in my two cents.

Elijah Craig 18yr

Here's my impression of that whiskey.... It sucks! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/puke.gif

That's it. Quick and simple.

Barry

ratcheer
12-22-2005, 14:06
Don't hold back, how do you really feel?

Tim

Brennan77
12-22-2005, 15:01

Elijah Craig 18yr

Here's my impression of that whiskey.... It sucks! http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/puke.gif

Barry

I had a pour of the 18yr last night and I have to say that for whatever reason I just can't enjoy it very much. It seems there are some good qualities in there but they are overwhelmed by this really pronounced terpentine-like character, or at least that's the best this untrained palette can describe it. The 12yr old suffers less from this element, but it's still there.

RedVette
12-22-2005, 16:37
I finally figured ou EC18. The other night I was drinking it, but I had forgotten what I had poured. On taking a swig, I thought why did I pour this Tequila? EC18 is Tequila, mystery solved.

barturtle
12-22-2005, 16:40
As a postscript to this: I ran into Chris Morris today when he was doing a bottle signing at a liquor store, and I couldn't stop myself from asking his what he thought of it(thoug I did manage to stop from telling my opinion of it). I did notice in his decription of it he mentioned its collectability twice.

I did have him sign a bottle of Woodford for me(I drank the bottle I had signed by Lincoln years ago).

brian12069
12-23-2005, 16:41

Elijah Craig 18yr

Barry

I have to agree. The 12 year old is awful too. One of the few bourbons I don't enjoy.

Sijan
02-26-2006, 23:34
Agree on Elijah Craig 18 year old not being worth it

Also A.H. Hirsch 16yo (3rd bottling) & Ridgemont Reserve 1792

All very disappointing.

BourbonBalls
02-27-2006, 06:49

I'll tell you why I DON'T like Woodford Reserve. Primarily because its not worth the price. Did you know that its really just honey barrels of Old Forester? I'd pay Old Forester prices for it...but its in the Basil Hayden category for me. Very average bourbon in a nice package.

Mad Mac
03-06-2006, 17:12
On my worth-it list: Bookers (when you are used to spending bigger bucks for SMSW the occasional bottle isn't too insane), Sazerac Rye, WT Kentucky Spirit.
On the not-so-much list: Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden, Elijah Craig 18 (although the 12 yr is good!).

brian12069
03-06-2006, 17:42
I'll tell you why I DON'T like Woodford Reserve. Primarily because its not worth the price. Did you know that its really just honey barrels of Old Forester? I'd pay Old Forester prices for it...but its in the Basil Hayden category for me. Very average bourbon in a nice package.

Couple questions...here WR is only $29.99 is it more where you are? Also, what do you mean by honey barrels?

BourbonBalls
03-06-2006, 18:12
I see WR here from about 25-32dollars a bottle....

The "honey barrels" are the good barrels the master distiller keeps an eye on and that are much better than all the others.

Old Forester isn't actually a bad bourbon . . . so you can imagine that some barrels were better than others. SOOOO.....just take those barrels...increase the proof just a little, put it in a nice bottle, and POOF! It's Woodfraud Reserve!

jeff
03-07-2006, 05:32
It's true that WR was once 100% Old Forester bourbon, and damn fine bourbon it was. Thanks to Tim I have about half a bottle from batch 1 that I have been nursing for over a year. If I understand correctly, what's being bottled right now is about 3:1 pot-still (WR) to Column-still (OF). Around batch 90 when they first began introducing pot-still bourbon into the mix, the flavor became somewhat awkward IMHO, but I believe it's getting better as the new pot-stilled bourbon ages longer. YMMV

Gillman
03-07-2006, 06:36
Very accurate update, Jeff although I believe that 3:1 ratio may change from batch to batch.

In my view batch 125 was particularly good. Some seem a little oily and awkward. Batch 140 seemed (my bottle anyway) to have an unpleasant musty smell, maybe from the cork.

I don't mind the variations because this is to be expected with a craft-style product like this. Plus if you don't like what is in the bottle you buy just add some Forester 86 or 100 or Birthday Bourbon (better yet, but I'd avoid the 2005 for this purpose) and bob's your uncle.

Gary

jspero
03-07-2006, 09:27
Just to put my 2 cents in, I though Eagle Rare 17yo was not worth it. I like ER17, but after trying it several times over 5 weeks or so, I just can't see the price difference between ER17 and ER 10yo SB.

Jay

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 15:08
Basil Hayden, no question. All show and no go...

Nicely packaged and whilst certainly not offensive tasting, this is one Bourbon I will not rush to taste again, in this life or the next.

Was always slightly deflated by all of the Blantons range as well - very nice tasting but costs a small fortune in the UK.

There are better priced whiskeys that run rings around every one of the Blantons family - a standard VW10YO is a perfect example.

brian12069
03-07-2006, 15:33
Basil Hayden, no question. All show and no go...

Nicely packaged and whilst certainly not offensive tasting, this is one Bourbon I will not rush to taste again, in this life or the next.

Was always slightly deflated by all of the Blantons range as well - very nice tasting but costs a small fortune in the UK.

There are better priced whiskeys that run rings around every one of the Blantons family - a standard VW10YO is a perfect example.

I agree 100% about Basil Hayden, I still think it tastes feminin. I have started to enjoy Blanton's more. I just grabbed a bottle last Friday for $33.99. I didn't think that price was too bad.

ratcheer
03-07-2006, 15:54
I agree 100% about Basil Hayden, I still think it tastes feminin. I have started to enjoy Blanton's more. I just grabbed a bottle last Friday for $33.99. I didn't think that price was too bad.

Not bad, at all. My last bottle was $45. But, its not available here anymore, at any price.

Tim

brian12069
03-07-2006, 16:03
I don't think I would have bought it at $45. But at $33 it's not too bad of a deal. I like the fancy bottle too.

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 16:14
Well those prices are about to make me burst into tears!

Blantons Gold in the UK is 44 UK pounds! I still have no problem forking out for the stuff I really like though...

tsangster
03-07-2006, 18:13
Just my humble opinion but Rock Hill Farms seemed quite average considering the $50 price tag. My bottle of Blanton's remains unopened - afraid it will disappoint as well.

gr8erdane
03-07-2006, 20:07

Blantons Gold in the UK is 44 UK pounds! I still have no problem forking out for the stuff I really like though...

But at least it's available to you! We only get the standard Blanton's here. Got to try the barrel strength last year at BF and I found it outstanding. Have yet to taste the Silver or Gold bottlings but then they haven't planted me yet so there's still time.

Ambernecter
03-07-2006, 22:04
I used to live in London about 1 mile from these guys. www.thewhiskyexchange.com - check out the site and look under the Bourbon and American section.

The prices will make you shudder but that's how it is in the UK. I'm sure you'll be impressed at the variety of Bourbon available for a mainly scotch warehouse.

camduncan
03-08-2006, 12:22

Yep, me too. We pay a similar price - $110 per bottle which is a similar price.

As for bourbon not worth the price.... I could agrue about the cost of importing any of my favourite bourbons (that aren't available on our market) as being to costly - eg BT, Stagg, Van Winkle etc all cost a small fortune by the time I import them, but i still love them as far as bourbons go :D

Locally, Jim Beam BIB and Jim Beam Small Batch with Port added are both overpriced and overrated imo... :puke:

camduncan
03-08-2006, 12:23
I used to live in London about 1 mile from these guys. www.thewhiskyexchange.com (http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com) - check out the site and look under the Bourbon and American section.

The prices will make you shudder but that's how it is in the UK. I'm sure you'll be impressed at the variety of Bourbon available for a mainly scotch warehouse.

My favourite shop in the UK ;)
I shop there whenever I'm in London or Edinburgh....

Ambernecter
03-08-2006, 22:53
Yeah it was really tough living just round the corner from those guys... slightly expensive though.

Very helpful, knowlegable and friendly chaps in the Whisky Exchange - I must perform a return visit sometime!

mrt
03-12-2006, 08:36
Maybe one day I'll see one of the "high-end" bourbons you talk about -like Stag, Elijah craig, etc.- here. But for now, as far as I know, I have to get along with the popular brands like Jim Beam, Bulleit, etc.

I'll keep searching, though...

Gillman
03-12-2006, 13:04
The Single Barrel of Four Roses has been available for some time in the EU and some states associated to the Union, and that is as good as bourbon gets, possibly it is available near your locale.

Gary

mythrenegade
03-13-2006, 22:10
I see WR here from about 25-32dollars a bottle....

The "honey barrels" are the good barrels the master distiller keeps an eye on and that are much better than all the others.

Old Forester isn't actually a bad bourbon . . . so you can imagine that some barrels were better than others. SOOOO.....just take those barrels...increase the proof just a little, put it in a nice bottle, and POOF! It's Woodfraud Reserve!

Forgive me, but isn't this exactly what Elmer T. Lee is? I thought it was "honey barrels" of Buffalo Trace. ETL seems to be one of the most popular bourbons around here if the "top ten list" threads are any sign.

Joel

Sijan
03-13-2006, 22:21
Being quite the fan of Old Forester 100 proof, I certainly don't see the problem with honey barrels of that bourbon being selected and bottled seperately as Woodford Reserve (though I actually don't think they taste all that similar - Woodford is sweeter, with less rye flavor, IMO). Indeed, as Joel points out, this is how small batch and single barrel bourbons are selected at some of my favorite distilleries.

ratcheer
03-14-2006, 18:39
Forgive me, but isn't this exactly what Elmer T. Lee is? I thought it was "honey barrels" of Buffalo Trace. ETL seems to be one of the most popular bourbons around here if the "top ten list" threads are any sign.

Joel
Yes, ETL is honey barrels with a sweet taste profile, Blanton's is other honey barrels with a drier profile. Both are from Buffalo Trace distillery and from the same mashbill, but I'm not sure if its the same mashbill as the Buffalo Trace brand bourbon. BT (the distillery) has two mashbills. The other mashbill goes to Stagg, Eagle Rare, etc.

Confusing enough?

Tim

brian12069
03-15-2006, 04:07
Yes, ETL is honey barrels with a sweet taste profile, Blanton's is other honey barrels with a drier profile. Both are from Buffalo Trace distillery and from the same mashbill, but I'm not sure if its the same mashbill as the Buffalo Trace brand bourbon. BT (the distillery) has two mashbills. The other mashbill goes to Stagg, Eagle Rare, etc.

Confusing enough?

Tim

Not confusing at all but surprising to me. I'm surprised that ETL and Blanton's is the same mashbill. I find them to taste quite different. What a difference that barrel must make.

Ambernecter
03-15-2006, 05:15
I echo your surprise Brian!

Thanks for those snippets Tim, very interesting...

ratcheer
03-15-2006, 15:45
You're welcome. There was an interview of Elmer Lee himself on the internet a few years ago. He stated that Blanton's came first and he was given a taste profile for it and he chose the barrels for it. But, he found other barrels that he, personally, preferred because they were sweeter. They decided to market that profile, as well, and it became Elmer T. Lee.

Its possible that that interview could still be found floating around in cyber-space.

Tim

brian12069
03-15-2006, 16:13
You're welcome. There was an interview of Elmer Lee himself on the internet a few years ago. He stated that Blanton's came first and he was given a taste profile for it and he chose the barrels for it. But, he found other barrels that he, personally, preferred because they were sweeter. They decided to market that profile, as well, and it became Elmer T. Lee.

Its possible that that interview could still be found floating around in cyber-space.

Tim

Wow Tim, I never knew that. It still surprises me that they are the same animal. I may have to do a "side by side" tasting this weekend. Bacause I have both.

Ambernecter
03-15-2006, 16:52
Hey Brian and Tim!

I know for a fact that there is an interview/profile of Elmer T Lee on the BT website. My broadband is not playing too well so I can't check it out. Maybe this is when he said it?

I'll check it out at a later date...

brian12069
03-15-2006, 17:08
Just for good measure I'm sampling a little ETL Single barrel 90 proof. Very good, got it on an order from HiTime Wines.